Thursday, October 23, 2008

Revisit the Electoral College Map

Write a paragraph that is 8+ or 4+ sentences long. To get full credit, you need to write 8+. The highest grade that you can get for 4+ sentences is a 'B.' Use your best grammar, spelling, evidence, and insight.

There have been some changes in electoral college predictions since the last time we looked. Examine this map closely. It is a prediction of how the states will vote. What do you see? What do you think it means? What states are most important? How do you think that the candidates' strategies should respond to this information. Click on each state to get more information.

Extra credit: The New York Times is widely regarded as a newspaper that supports democratic candidates. Do you see evidence of bias in this map? Explain.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/whos-ahead/key-states/map.html

67 comments:

Sean I. said...

The first major thing I noticed was that John McCain lost 15 electoral votes. I also noticed that Barack Obama now has enough vote to win the election. I saw that it appears Obama is winning in Colorado. However there is the 4%+/- tossup. In Nevada Obama is also winning but this time he is winning by 5%. In ohio Obama is winning 50% to 46%. In North Carolina Obama is winning 51% to 47%. In Florida however McCain is is winning 46% to 45%. These are the states that are most important because they deside the election.

Sean I. said...

Sorry I forgot Im number 1,2,and 3



I Own
#1

Anonymous said...

this map is showing that mcCain is winning over Obama because in the previous election obama pulls it off while mcCain had control the rest of his population. so far Obama is winning over mcCain 277-185. the color on the map said that Obama is taking control in all states and with that set up Obama will win the election.

Steve L said...

The Electoral map is showing that obama has a solid 196 votes. if the 81 leaning obama vote for him he will win the presidential election. McCain has a solid 155 votes and 30 leaning but even if he gets the 76 tossup he will need some of obamas leaners to win the election.
http://h4x0rsteve.blogspot.com/

Michael Maurial said...

I've noticed that McCain lost electoraL votes and Obama is going to win the popular vote att his point. The states that are the most important states to win is Ohio and Florida.

michael anson the master in black said...

i think that obama has most of the votes but mccain is scoming in fast. obama is winninjg by alot obama 277 and mccain has 185. there are four states that are in a tossup.

Michael Maurial said...

I've noticed that McCain lost electoraL votes and Obama is going to win the popular vote att his point. The states that are the most important states to win is Ohio and Florida. The two states matetr because whom ever win these states will win the popular vote.
The map is showing that Obama is taking control of the states.

Anonymous said...

the map shows basically whos states are whose. even though john mccain hass more states obama has way more electorals votes. and since electorals votes are more important than the regular people you want the state with more electoral votes.

Serena G said...

Well in that map I see Washington, California,Oregon Colorado, New Mexico and from Virginia to Maine is all Obama. So is Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ilinois and Michigan. The only undecided states are Florida, Nevada, Montana, Indiana, North Carolina and Ohio. The rest is for McCain. It means that McCain is more popular in the southern states except florida.And the north east and west cost is dominated by Obama. New York and California I think are mst important because they have the most electors and that will help Obama greatly. Well the smart candidates would try and win over the states with the more electors hence get more votes. That is my opinion on the electoral map.

Emily G said...

In this map I see that many of the southern and middle states are solid McCain or leaning towards McCain, also many of the northern and bordering states are either solid Obama or leaning towards Obama, and Nevada, Missouri, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, and Indiana are undecided about which candidate to chose. This means that most of the U.S is supporting Obama. The most important states are the ones that have the most electoral votes, such as California which has 55 electoral votes and Texas that has 34 electoral votes. Some of the candidates’ strategies would be to get states with large amounts of electoral votes to support them, Obama already has most of the large electoral states, making him ahead of McCain.

Tyler L said...

Where the population is great, like NYC and California - Obama has the votes. McCain has the bible belt, which is the southern states where they are very religious. Obama also has most of the younger voters so where there is a lot of colleges he is winning. McCain has Texas because they like there guns and McCain agrees with carrying fire arms. If the election was held today and McCain got all the undecided voters and the states that are leaning towards anyone, Obama would still win. It seems that the entire north east is for Obama. If the election was held today, Obama would have no troble winning with or without Florida. I was surpised by how many states that are still undesided this far in the election. Right now it looks like an easy win for Obama.

McK.Sturges. said...

In the new electoral map, I noticed a lot of things. I noticed that it says Barack Obama is winning, but most of the map makes it seem like John McCain is winning. This is because the states that follow Obama have more electoral representatives. Where most of McCain's states have below 10 electoral representatives. I wouldn't really say these states are important, but they have the most attention in the candidate's campaign. They are California, Texas,Florida,New York,Pennslyvannia, and Illinois. Since these states have a lot of electors Obama and McCain probably do more campaigning in these states. I feel that is not fair to the smaller states with the low amount of electors because it makes them feel less important than the other states.

Anonymous said...

In this map I can see that most of America is for Obama and he has targeted the largest states with the most electors while McCain has the smaller states with less electors but he has more states for him than Obama. I think this means that McCain has to campaign harder so that he can win some of the tossup votes and a large amount of Obama's leaning votes. To me, winning the smaller states are the most important because they don't seem like they would help a campaign indidvidually but together they add up to be a bunch of meaningful electoral votes. The states who are leaning toward a candidate are changable votes so right now these states might vote for a certain candidate, but during the polls they might vote for the other candidate and be the state that makes their preferred candiate win the presidential race. For the solid states though I think that if there is some people who change their vote it wouldn't make too much of a difference because the majority of the population there is voting for the other candidate. Because of the still nuetral voters i think that the more persistant candidate should step up their campaigning and win most of those undecided voters so that they have a greater chance of winning.

Anonymous said...

I see that most states are for John McCain, but it says that Obama is predicted to win. I think it means that the states that are for Obama are more populated than the states for McCain. The states that are most important are California, Texas, Illinois, New York, and Pennsylvania because they have many electoral votes. They make an impact on the result of the election. I think that the candidates should respond by spending more time on undecided states with many electoral votes such as Florida. If they spend time on states like Nevada, which are undecided but have very few electoral votes, it will be a waste of time. This is because Nevada only has 5 electoral votes and isn't really significant. Many states can get ignored because of that.

EmilyD said...

I noticed many things in this map. One thing I noticed was that like others said, Obama has less states than McCain but he has the most votes. This is because he has a lot of the bigger states with more electoral votes and McCain has more of the smaller states. The candidates strategies should respond to this because it means that if Obama is going to win then he needs to campaign some more in the tossup and leaning states instead of the strongly republican or democrat states. This is because in the tossup and leaning states he has a chance to get more votes. In the already decided states it would be harder for him to get votes because most of the people are already decided. McCain should also campaign in the tossup or leaning states but I would prefer if he didn’t campaign anymore because he is not a very good choice for president in my opinion. I really don’t see any evidence of bias in the map. It seems based on fact to me.

Jess D said...

The first thing that I noticed was that Obama is winning by more than 100 votes. He has enough votes to win the election. Another thing that i noticed was that since last time Obama has gained a lot more votes, many of the states were mostly McCain last time we checked. Most of the states that are ruled by mcCain all have a small amount of electoral votes. And states like California which are ruled by Obama voters have many more electoral votes. In my opinion, McCain should go fo rthe tossup states because they arent leaning towards Obama yet. I don't see any biased in ths map. It seems to be all based on fact.

Kirby p said...

What I see is Obama leading in the prediction polls over McCain. Obama isn’t truly leading there are leaning states and they will most likely go for the candidate they are leaning for but they could turn and end up voting for the other candidate. There are also tossup states that could go either was. So if the polls are close to the real votes and some of the leaning votes turn and the tossup states go to the losing candidate then it proves it will be close. I think that this map gives a good understanding of who could have a good chance of winning but it also can make people thinking that this person is going to win when people haven’t even voted yet. It could also cause people not to vote because they think that their candidate will already win. California is a very important state because it has the most electoral votes but it has been democratic for many years so I wouldn’t say that it is too important this point in time. As I think that Florida is very important because it is a tossup state and it has a lot of electoral votes so it has a chance to go any way. Candidates take this into consideration because if there is a close state in poll votes then they will campaign in those states to try and win that state over.

Kate D said...

What i noticed first is that Obama is winning in the amount sold voters. He only needs 4 more votes winning the election. The next thing that also caught my attention is that there is still 90 people learning about Obama even tho he still has the most votes. Also i see that there are more McCain states but they all have small amount of electrical voters. California has the most electrical voters and that is ruled by Obama. I have the same idea as jessica on this part. I also was thinking that McCain should start thinking about the tossups. I think this because he is losing by a lot and they are undecided.The strategist that seems to be shown is that Obama worked on California because it had the most electrical voters and also the north east because it is all blue. McCain mostly concentrated on the central states.

Breana B. said...

Well, basically it shows that McCain is practically in the lead :O
[THATS NOT GOOD O:]]
Anyways, It shows that a lot of the states are heading tward McCain, And sadly less are going for McCain. But Obama has the larger states, wich cause him to get a higher vote percentage.

Breana B. said...

I ment to say: Well, basically it shows that McCain is practically in the lead :O
[THATS NOT GOOD O:]]
Anyways, It shows that a lot of the states are heading tward McCain, And sadly less are going for Obama. But Obama has the larger states, Like Florida, and Ohio, and Etc. wich cause him to get a higher vote percentage.

Anonymous said...

Obama was smart and went for the states with the most electoral votes, even though he doesnt have the popular vote he is stil in the lead. McCain has lost alot of votes and obama has been gainging big time. If mcCain wants to win he needs to takeall the undicided states to get the electoral votes or steal some from obama. It would be easier just to take the undicided though. Obama needs to keep the campaining at a high rate to keep his electoral votes so mcCain doesnt steal them.

kevinp said...

I think that this map is saying that Obama has a very good chance to win the election, and he will unless McCain gets all the support from undecided states and then some. In this election, key states are all the states which have the most electors, such as California, Texas, and New York. These play a big part in the election because they are the states that have the most say in this election. For example, if california went solid McCain (something which would never happen), the whole election would be in favor of McCain. Likewise, if Texas went solid democratic, it would be impossible for McCain to win the election. But not all the important states need to have the most electors. States like Pennsylvania make a big difference this election, because they can easily lean toward the opposite party. In all, there are 311 electors. Just under 29 percent of those are undecided. This is why undecided states are very important.

I do not see any biased in this map, either. People might take it as "biased" because most of the leaning states are leaning towards Obama, such as Colorado. I think that the outcome is based on facts, not opinion.

kevinp said...

Oh yer, to everyone who says that this map shows that the election is in favour of McCain, you're not looking for how many states are for a candidate, but how many ELECTORS are voting for that candidate.

Amanda T said...

I see that there are still six states that haven’t voted yet. There for I think that this means that the candidates are going to be focusing on these states the most, so that they can get them to vote for them in the election. I think that Missouri, Ohio and Florida are the most important state to keep an eye on because they are most likely to go either way, do to past reference of their favor in presidents. This also leads me to believe that these are important because two of them happen to have a highest amount of electoral votes and candidates would want to go after them because they also make a huge impact on the outcome of the election. I think that the candidates are going to keep in mind of the states that haven’t yet decided on who to vote on and it could go either way, as shown in past elections. I think that the candidates are also predicted to came to these states because the other states already have some one that they are in favor of and are likely to vote for them.

Kelby L said...

This map shows that Obama will win the election but it could be wrong a single state like California can throw off an entire election. The big states like CA,FL.TX are the ones the candidates really need to strees on winning. So spending time in a state can help your odds of winning that state (Duh) I also noticed that more dencely populated areas tend to vote for Obama. I am unsure of this reason though.

Anonymous said...

The map show that Obama has this election all rapped up. He has 286 electoral votes, while McCain only has 163 electoral votes. I think this means that a lot of people must be democratic, because McCain doesn't have a prayer.:D. I think every state is important in this election, but to the canidates, the remaining undecided states and the states with the most electoral voters are the most important. The canidates should clean up their act, stop insulting one another, and do anything they can to get those states on their side. That's my opininon anyway.

Elliott said...

What I immediately notice is that Barack Obama has less states than John McCain! But no worry for Obama, he has more electors. Even though McCain does have more states than Barack, all of those states have few electors, The state that he has that has the most electives is Texas, and even then it is only 34 electors compared to Barack holding California, which has 55 electors. But when it comes to states voting, I don’t know if all those states McCain has will be loyal. I mean, of course there is going to be lots of people who vote for the opposite candidate, even if their state is say, republican. But I still say the most important states would be, California, Texas, and New York. Two of which Barack Obama has. What does this mean for McCain? Not good news. PREDICTION: John McCain will win the popular vote, but Barack Obama will come on top because of all his electors, and yes, my predictions are usually quite accurate.

Anonymous said...

This map shows that Obama is leading by a big stretch. Obama with 286 electoral votes and McCain with 163. That is a big difference. I think that this map shows how many people are demarcates because they are rooting for Obama. The map may look as if there are more republicans because there are bigger states but remember that it is on electoral votes. California has 55 electors which is a big amount. I think that every state can be a big cause or impact in an election because it shows you that how many electors is a big deal. Obama has a lot of the bigger states of the electoral votes like New York with 31 electors and california 55 electors.

Anonymous said...

When you first you at the map it appears that McCain is winning because most of the states are red. Actually, Obama is winning the election by 123 votes if you count the leaning voters. McCain has a lot of central votes although the central states don't seem to have as many electoral votes as say, New York which has 31 voters. Obama has most of the outer states voting for him. The outer states seem to have more voters than the inner states. An example of a state with more more electoral votes would be California. I think McCain's strategy is to get as many states as he can no matter how many voter's it has. Obama seems to be going for the states with more electoral voters.

courtneyl said...

I agree with hayley it does look like McCain is winning ay first. But she is right obama is really winning.I think McCain should start to think about getting states with more electoral votes.Instead of getting alot of places.

Olivia D said...

This map shows me that Obama has 14 states that are "solid" for him. While McCain, on the other hand, has 18 states "solid" for him. Even though McCain has more states, Obama is ahead because his states are worth more electoral votes. But there are still 6 states that are undecided. I think that this means that the candidates are probably going to spend the rest of their time in these states. Although they'll spend it in Florida, Ohio and N.C. because they have most of the electoral votes than the other ones that have not made up their minds yet. But i think the most important state is California because it has the most electoral votes (55) than the rest in the USA. But due to the map,it will most likely have its votes to Obama.

Fred C said...

I had noticed that John McCain is losing voters. I had also noticed that Barack Obama has enough voters that he would win the election for preident. The amount of voters that someone needs to get into the office is 270. Barack Obama has 286 votes and has 90 leaning. John McCain has 163 votes and 23 leaning. There are only six states that are tossups. I think that Barack Obama is going to win due to the amount of voters that he has. This is not the election yet so it is still possible that Barack Obama could lose and John McCain could win the election for president. Barack Obama has more states then John McCain does but not all the states are solid Barck Obama or McCain.I think that this news paper is bias because the map is showing that Barack Obama is winning the election and that John McCain is losing and doesn't have as many supporters as Barack Obama does. It is trying to make the person that sees this map to vote for Barack Obama because he is going to win the election for president.

Fred C said...

I had noticed that John McCain is losing voters. I had also noticed that Barack Obama has enough voters that he would win the election for preident. The amount of voters that someone needs to get into the office is 270. Barack Obama has 286 votes and has 90 leaning. John McCain has 163 votes and 23 leaning. There are only six states that are tossups. I think that Barack Obama is going to win due to the amount of voters that he has. This is not the election yet so it is still possible that Barack Obama could lose and John McCain could win the election for president. Barack Obama has more states then John McCain does but not all the states are solid Barck Obama or McCain.I think that this news paper is bias because the map is showing that Barack Obama is winning the election and that John McCain is losing and doesn't have as many supporters as Barack Obama does. It is trying to make the person that sees this map to vote for Barack Obama because he is going to win the election for president.

Anthony G said...

The first thing I noticed was that Obama is winning by 100 votes. He has 286 votes and has 90 leaning. John McCain has 163 votes and 23 leaning. So if you look at the difference in the amount of voters Obama seems to have a better chance. Even though McCain has more states Obama has a better chance because his states have more electrol college votes.

Emily Svenningsen said...

In the Electoral College predictions, alot of things have changed since the last time I saw the map. I see that the votes for Obama went down, and McCain's went up. I also noticed that there are more people leaning towards McCain now, than before. I think that there will be alot of shifting and alot of undecisive states that will change their minds about their president they support. Some of the states that I think are most important would be California and Texas, who have the most electoral votes throughout the United States. Other states who have many electoral college votes would be Florida, Ohio, etc. I think that the candidates should try a little harder, especially Barack, who on the first predicted map had almost 260 electoral votes, only needing 10 more. Now that this race is heating up, I'm not sure anymore who really is going to win the presidentail debate, even though Barack Obama is still in the lead.

Emily Svenningsen said...

In the Electoral College predictions, alot of things have changed since the last time I saw the map. I see that the votes for Obama went down, and McCain's went up. I also noticed that there are more people leaning towards McCain now, than before. I think that there will be alot of shifting and alot of undecisive states that will change their minds about their president they support. Some of the states that I think are most important would be California and Texas, who have the most electoral votes throughout the United States. Other states who have many electoral college votes would be Florida, Ohio, etc. I think that the candidates should try a little harder, especially Barack, who on the first predicted map had almost 260 electoral votes, only needing 10 more. Now that this race is heating up, I'm not sure anymore who really is going to win the presidentail debate, even though Barack Obama is still in the lead.

Anonymous said...

In the electoral votes site I saw that a candidate needs 270 electoral votes to win. So far Obama has 196 solid votes, and 90 leaning towards Obama. McCain has 140 solid votes, and 23 leaning his way. Even if McCain were to get the undecided voters to vote and the ones that are leading towards his way Obama would still be ahead of him. Obama doesn't even need the tossup votes in order to win because no matter what he will win. I also noticed that California has 55 electoral votes and Obama has gotten them. MCain has gotten electoral votes from more states however Obama has gotten the states with more electoral votes. I think this picture clealy shows that Obama has a good chance at beating McCain.I think it does look like Obama could win,but it also can make people thinking that this person is going to win when people haven’t even voted yet.

Anonymous said...

The first thing I noticed was that Obama was winning. Obama now has enough votes to win the election. Another big thing I noticed was most of McCain's votes came from small states with few electorial votes. Obama has fewer states, but the states that are voting for him have a large number of electors. The last thing I noticed was that McCain was losing votes rather then gaining them. But even though McCain is losing he still has alot of votes. I think that McCain will wiin the poplular vote, because he has more state. But Obama will win because he'll have more electors.

Unknown said...

Obama has strong support on the east and west coast.These states have alot of electoral votes like California's 55 and New York's 31. McCain has strong support in the south and midwest but they have less votes in the electoral college. The only big state that is solid McCain is Texas with 34 votes. The candidates might want to focus on winning the toss up states. Florida,Ohio and North Carolina have 62 votes still up for grabs. Some states that are only leaning to one candidate might till go the other way too. Pennsylvania,Virginia and Georgia could be key.

Carne said...

There aren't many differences but the changes are major. Like Indiana becoming a swing state. It will be a major difference. I think that since Obama is predicted to have has enough votes to become president that he should only focus on campaigning in the swing states with the most electoral votes. McCain should mainly focus on Every swing state except Nevada. Because all the other swing states have at least 11 electoral votes. While Nevada only has five electoral votes.

vanessa w said...

Unfortunately the way the states are heading now McCain doesn't stand a chance. Even if he does win the 89 points from the tossup up states he would still be trailing Obama. In order for him to win the popular vote he would also need to convert some of the states leaning towards Obama. Also you must remember that we don't decide the president, the electoral college does. So if they are pro republican then yes McCain does stand a chance just like what happened with the 2004 election in electing George Bush. McCain should spend more time and energy campaign in the states that he knows is a long shot. He campaigned in all the states that he likes and didn't expand because of his so called "duties" towards congress. If he wants to win something has to change otherwise its looking like Obama will be the next president.

Richie W. said...

I see that McCain has more states on his side (solid) but Obama has the states with more electoral votes.I think it would be smart to campaign in the tossup states. For example, Nevada, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Florida and North Carolina. I also noticed that the tossup states are spread across the entire nation. Why, I don't know. It is a good thing that Obama has California and D.c. solid because California has 55 electoral votes and D.C. is the nation's capital. I don't think either of the candidates will campaign in any of the opposite co0lor states because they're wasting campaigning time in the tossup states where they should be campaigning. I don't think it has changed much because it still predicts Obama to win(YAY!!!)BECAUSE HE STILL HAS MORE ELECTORAL VOTES AND WILL PROBABLY GAIN MORE WITH MORE CAMPAIGNing. This blog was posted by Richie W. Sorry about the last few words being in all caps, I forgot to take caps lock off after I typed (YAY!!!) and didn't notice it until after I posted it.

Ellery R said...

This map ia an predicted outcome of how the people in every state will vote in this election. This is only a prediction usng polls and other sources, so it may not show everything spot on and it may change by next tuesday, but it does give me a good idea whose states are whose. This map shows that Obama has won this election as long as everything stays. Obama has accumulated 286 electoral vates, which is sixteen more than he needs to win this election. McCain has 163 electoral votes accumulated, which means, even if McCain wins all of the tossup states, Obama will still be predicted to win. Th most important states in this years election are the "tossup" states, these are so important because they are the undecided states, these will decide the outcome of the election. Although other sates that are important, are the states leaning towards Obama, if these perhaps dont go to Obama on election day this may not have the same affect as it would if Obama kept these states. This is because if all of the predicted outcomes come true Obama should win the election. Although none of us will know until the night of November fourth, and the morning of november fifth.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed some change in the Electoral College Map. I have noticed that more states are now either un-decided or leaning towards one candidate. Obama is in the lead. The one bad thing about the un-decided or leaning towards states, is that the states could go either way. The leaning towards on side states, are most likely to go to that candidate, but it could change. California is something to really pay attention to. This is because it has the Electoral votes. There are 55 of them. This means that Obama and McCain are going to have to win that state. Right now the state will definitely win Obama's vote for president! This is a good thing!

Gracek said...

The map of the U.S. has been broken up into three categories of color, blue, red, and white. The blue is Obama and the red is McCain, the yellow is just a toss-up. But, the colors have been broken up into groups: a solid vote, a leaning vote, and a toss-up. There are a lot of red states. Which is a lot of states voting for McCain. But these states don’t have that many electoral votes. The blue states have the majority of the states with a lot of electoral votes. These states are California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
I don’t see any bias really. This is mainly because the state map is mostly red and that is supporting the Republic Party. If the New York Times was being bias than they would choose to put more states in the blue because they are Democrats.

lucasG said...

This map shows that right now, Barack Obama is in the lead. Obama has 286 votes while McCain has 163. This doesn’t mean that Obama was already won though. There are still 83 toss up votes. Also, 90 Obama votes and 23 for McCain are leaning towards the candidate not complete support. Just those states have over 196 votes that could easily be swayed. Even though Obama has 123 more votes than McCain, there is only a two state difference. So Obama is winning in higher populated states. Right now the most important states are the ones that are undecided. These are the states that decide close elections. There could also be some bias involved. We don’t know what the definition of leaning one way means. So a state that is called neutral could really be leaning towards McCain. Also sates considered leaning Obama might really be a toss up state.

chrisL said...

the way it is now Obama has the lead. he has 286 electoral votes. McCain has 163 votes and has 23 leaning toward him. Obama has 90 leaning his way. 89 electoral votes are undecided.

Anonymous said...

One thing i noticed is that Obama now has enough electoral votes to win the election (predicted by polls) mccain has lost in some states and they are now only leaning mccain or leaning Obama. the most important states are definetely the toss up states because they could determine the outcome of the election.I haven't seen any evidences of Bias in this article of the new York times but i am sure that in some of its articles it is bias for Obama.i think the most important state right now is Florida because it is a toss-up state and it has 27 electoral votes

Anonymous said...

McCain is not winning according to the polls. But Obama has enough to win the electoral votes. I could not really tell if there was any bias. But I am pretty sure that there was none. Even though Obama is winning, I can not see why. Because I think that McCain has better ideas and is better for our country. Because I feel that he is more experienced.

Zach K said...

I think that McCain should be focusing on the swing states. But I think tyhat they could also spend some time in the states that are only leaning Obama. One big state could be Pennsulvainia because it has 21 votes. Or Obama could spend time in Georgia because it has 15 votes. But, obiusly the canidates are going to spend time in are Ohio and Floida. Even Colarado could be a statement for McCain. As W. Verginia coiuld be a statement for Obama. So they should definitly spend more time in the close states not only the swing states.

BriannaG said...

According to this map it looks as if Obama was so far winning this election. McCain seems to have more states that are most likely voting for him, however the states that are for him have a fewer population than some of the states that are voting for Obama. This means that McCain has fewer electoral votes for him which is ultimately what he needs to win the election. There is still time between now and the election and things can change a lot in even that much more time. I think McCain had his chance to prove himself at the last and final debate. In order for him to gain more votes he really needed to do an outstanding job at the debate. This was the last chance for him to catch up to Obama in the presidential race and although he didn't do bad i don't think he came across so amazingly that he would gain a lot more voters. I think the most important states in this election are Florida California New York and Texas. These are the most important states because they have the most electoral votes. Florida is very important because it has 27 electoral votes and it is a toss up state which means it could go for either Obama or McCain whoever wins Florida will get 27 electoral votes which would be very good for them. I think that both candidates but especially John McCain since he is behind in the election, should be trying to win Florida. I think the fact that the New York Times is a democratic newspaper shows that maybe their polls aren't quite accurate. Their polls might be Biased and really Obama is not leading the election by quite so much. This map leads you to believe that Obama is beating McCain by a lot in this election but maybe if there was no Bias in this poll the results would be different.

Anonymous said...

BY: KYLE BENNETT


first i looked at the bar at the top and it said that no one has over the amount needed to win. but obama is most likely to win even if McCain gets the "tossup" votes. i also noticed that Obama is focused on all of the states with the high electoral votes and McCain is always getting the low states except for Texas. and in order for McCain to win he has to get the undecided votes and focus on stealing Obamas high states. if i were McCain i would focus on wining new york, Washington, Pennsylvania ,and Michigan. if i were obama i would make shour i won the 90 votes that are leaning towards me and win some toss up states to ensure a victory.

Anonymous said...

(((Lilly F forgot her password!!!Oopps!)))
This is she...

The first thing I noticed was...hmmm...that the states that are in the tossup have quite a few electoral votes. So the candidates will probably work on getting some of them on their side. What I think it means, it could mean any number of things but right now I think the candidates should work on those states that aren't decided yet. I think Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida are the most important.

Anonymous said...

I see that Obama is in the lead not including tossup. Florida and Ohio are the most important tossup states because the have the most electoral votes. California has the most electoral votes. I was wondering when you (Mr.Croft) put this on your blog it could have changed since you have put it on. I think it is excellent because Obama has a strong lead. Ohio is leaning towards Obama. Florida is leaning towards McCain in the latest polls but one of thier senators is a democrat. If you look at the maps it looks like there is more red but actually Barack Obama is winning by double digits because of the electoral votes. McCain has lots of the southern states.

Anonymous said...

it seems like Florida is Probably the most important state and with a close second Ohio the race seems to be pretty close. Like 7 points with Obama leading. So from the polls [ which really don't consist of all of the voters].McCain really needs to win these two states. what i don't agree with is the bias from this source. even if McCain won all the tossup states Obama still has McCain beat. In other polls the race is a dead heat yet this makes it seem like the election will be a landslide which when its coming from this liberal of a source i can't agree with it.

Billy H said...

I've noticed that many central and southern states are pro-McCain, while most east and west coast states are pro-Obama. I also see that McCain has lost votes, leaving Obama with a good chance at winning this election. States that mainly should be focused on is Florida and Ohio. This is because these states are for the most part undecided, and out of all the toss-up states, Florida and Ohio have the most electoral votes. Some other important states are California and New York, because of there high amount of electoral votes. These two states are solid Obama. The only important state McCain has is Texas, with 34 electoral votes. Florida is very important, and could decide the election. so both candidates should get out of solid states and go to Florida. Obama may have to work a bit harder in Florida, since Florida voted republican for many of the past elections. I think there is a very subtle use of bias in the descriptions of the states. In Florida, they say Obama put up a fierce battle. In North Carolina, they say Obama is providing the BEST laboratory to test whether a large turnout can help play a state.

Unknown said...

Obama has 286 votes and McCain has 163 votes. This means that Obama is winning by 123 votes. There are 89 tossup votes. Even if McCain was to get every toss up vote according to this Electoral map he still will lose the election. According to the numbers if he gets all the undecided votes he will be loseing by 34 votes and it is not likely that McCain will get all the remaining votes so the likely winner for the election is Obama. These results suprised me because i thought that there would be more support for McCain than there is.

Unknown said...

First I noticed that McCain held a lot of the small states. I also noticed that Obama held most of the big states. I think that even though McCain has many small states it doesn't necessarilly means he'll win because it all depends on how many electoral votes are in that particular state. I think California and Texas are the two most important states.

James said...

This shows that Obama is predicted to win. This time he has enough electoral votes to win. McCain couldn’t win even if he won all of the tossup states. He should campaign in states such as Pennsylvania, Florida, because they have the most electoral votes that are not totally controlled by the other candidate. First of all I don’t think that the Candidates should trust these polls. They should word an objective question and ask as many people as they can. They should then use these results to shape their campaigns by campaigning in states that have the most electoral votes that aren’t completely McCain or Obama. Overall the only big thing that has changed is that Obama now has enough electoral votes to win.

There was no bias being shown. The bias could be there and they could be bias just by the questions that they ask. So, to depict whether they were being bias you would have had to follow them through the process from the questions that they ask to the way that they display the data.

OliverT said...

At fist I noticed that it looks like Barrack Obama has the support of fewer states, but the support of more electoral votes. However Obama actually has more states on his side, but since they are smaller in geographical size, it seems like there are less (but I counted them). Barrack Obama actually has more states and electoral votes that are predicted to go with him. It is interesting to see how the majority of hard-core republicans are located in the southern and central parts of the U.S.A. It is also interesting to see that most of these southern and central regions of the United States of America also have the fewest electoral votes. The states that McCain or Obama should focus their attention on are Florida and Ohio because they are undecided and have the largest amount of electoral votes, of the undecided ones. However if I was a candidate I would also concentrate a lot of my time on the other undecided states, such as North Carolina and Missouri, because they also gave a good amount of electoral votes and even if a candidate wins the support of Florida or Ohio, if they don’t put any attention towards the other states then a good amount of electoral votes could be lost to the other candidate. I think that if Obama wanted to secure a safe hold on the election he should evenly campaign and pay attention toward Ohio, Florida, Missouri, and North Carolina. If John McCain wanted a even a chance that he might win the election then he would be wise to do the same thing.

cornholio said...

It seems tht Obama is still wining altough he could posibley loose if mcain gets like 4 states that include florida. At this rate i think obama is going to win unless mcain gets florida. Florida is the most inportant state this far and the other are close behind it but nevada will probley be left in the dust becuase it only has 5 electoral votes. I think Obama sould focus on flordia and stay away from the redneck hill billy section of america because heil probley get shot as there was a atempt to kill him and 80 other black kids today. I dont realy see any bias with the map because how could you make a map made of only facts biased? i gues you could say the since NY is strongly obama you could call that bias i dont know.

Anonymous said...

The first thing that i saw was that John McCain had more states in red. Then i looked at the number of electoral votes and obama is winning by a landslide. Even if each canidate got all of their leading state votes and then John McCain won all all of the swing state votes he would still loose. According to this map Obama has the win. New York,California, Texas and Florida all have over 25 electoral votes. Winning these four states, would give the canidate 147 electorals. To me it seems that McCain was trying to get more states and trying just to get a word out to every state. Obama spent his time and got the higher electoral vote states.

X-tra credit: I do not think that this map is bias. Looking through and clicking on the states it seems to be right on taget and very fair.

Tom Asc. rocks said...

I see that Obama currently has the lead in the electoral vote. I think it says that Obama is in the lead and has a good chance of winning the election. But there are still the tossup states as factors in this. If McCain gets all the tossup states and the states leaning towards him than he would still only have 252 electoral votes, not enough to be even with Obama. The states that are most important are the ones with the highest electoral votes and that have not fully gone with one party. They should work on the states that are undecided so they can create more votes for themselves. Another stradegy could be to work on the leaning states because they are not fully with that certain candidate. At the moment McCain has 163 electoral votes and obama has 286.

Anonymous said...

well i see that Obama will have 286 electoral votes and McCain has 163 electoral votes. but i also see that idiana is in a tossup. i think it means that some states will vote for someone else or they are undicided. the states i think are important is california,florida,ohio,nevada, and north carolina. they should go to the states and work better on trying to convice teh states to vote for them

Sam K said...

obama had more than McCain in electoral college last time obama was not predicted to win yet but now he is predicted to win the electoral college. there are a few swing states but most are for either for McCain or obama. all of the west coast is for obama just like the last time we looked at the map

Ben said...

Right away I noticed that John McCain had more states than Barack Obama, but BArack Obama is beating John McCain by a 123 electoral vote margin. Barack Obama has 286 votes and John McCain has 163. John McCain got more states, but Obama got states with more votes. I think that the tree most important states are California, Texas, and New York. Barack Obama holds two of those three states. California has 55 electoral voters, Texas has 34, and New York has 31. Florida is also a big state and has 21 electoral votes. But Florida is a "Tossup" state. In order for McCaim to win according to this map is if he gets all of the tossup votes and get 18 of Obama's votes.

michael anson the master in black said...

GOOOOOOO OBAMA