Use the link at the bottom to watch eight minutes of the final presidential debate. You can search for a particular topic and then just watch what the candidates say about that topic. After you watch a total of eight minutes, post your comment and include the following:
1) Paraphrase what the candidates said. Repeat what they said in your own words.
2) Comment on what the candidates said. Does it make sense? Do you think it is a good idea?
3) Comment on the personal style of the candidate? What words describe their presentation styles in this debate? Be sure to support your claim with details.
Be sure to notice the transcript on the right side; you can read what they are saying.
To get full credit, your comment must be 8+ sentences. A 4+ sentence answer can earn a 'B.'
http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/debates/third-presidential-debate.html
If you don't have Internet access, I will ask you to read some of the debate transcript and comment on it, responding to #1 and #2.
Part of the debate transcript:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhp2sncj_131trjfhkhd
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
62 comments:
John McCain had said that Barack Obama had paid 3 million dallors on a projector in his home town. I think that McCain was insaulting Barack Obama, but it had made sense to me what he was saying. That Baraczk Obama was wasting money on a projector. Barack Obama was saying that there are some programs that are not working. It makes sense what Obama is saying and I believe that it is a good idea. I also think that it will help our economy. John McCain is saying that he can fix the economy in four years. He is saying that he will reduce the budget and balacnce the budget. Barack Obama is saying that John McCain is using the smae plan as Goerge Bush had used. i think that it is a good idea and does make sense about what he is saying about John McCain and his plan. Both canidates had said many things that were cruel to the other canidate. I think that it was not right that they were being ujnkind to the other canidateg so that they would be able to get more voters. I think that the canidates had tryed to win more voters but had gone about the wrong way to trying to get more voters. I think that if they had not gone about the way that they had tryed to get less people to vote for the other canidate so that they will vote for them.
I choose to watch the first 8 minutes of the debated. The question was why is your plan than his. John McCain said "Now, we allocated $700 billion. Let's take $300 billion and go in and buy those home loan mortgages." He is basicly saiding that the problem that is cause this mess in the world is mortgages. I wouldn't say the is the problem but it is sertanlly one of the causes. Barack Obama wants to provide tax cuts to 95% of working Americans( People and small buisiness owners who make less than $250,000 a year. I think this is a good idea because these are the people who make most jobs.
this video reminds me of talking back and forth as a debate. what blows me away that John mcCain wants to become president of the United States then Obama because he got the least amount of votes then mcCain has the highest votes.
I watched the part where the candidates talked about Energy. First Obama talked about was that he wants to get out of using Middle East and Venezuela Oil. He believes that we can do that by expanding our own drilling for oil. Secondly he feels we should put focus on solar, wind, biodiesel and geothermal. What McCain seemed to spend a lot of time cruising Obama even though both of them have basically the same ideas for the subject. Both candidates said that they wanted solar and wind alternative fuels, I agree with this. But Obama seems to be more concerned about the environment then McCain because McCain wants to do off shore drilling. I feel that Obama wants to be sure that drilling does not hurt the environment and I do think that makes sense. This makes sense because they were also talking about global warming and drilling a lot of oil isn’t going to help the environment. McCain’s style was that he was being very negative on everything that Obama said. When Obama said something he would repeat it and say what was wrong with it. Obama’s style was very calm and seemed to keep with the issue more than being negative with what McCain said.
I think that McCain was insulting obama.like when he was talking about Joe and what joe wants. And how Obama can not provide that and how McCain can provide it.Then they were talking about there plans and who they are going to Tax.
obama talked about what he will do to change thigs, mc.cain talked about the issues and what he will do to change things.m.cain was more negative than obama we do need change so i agree with obama on that, but mcCain wanted to understand the issue.
obama also got less worked op about things, he was calm(like kate said)
I choose to watch the segment on Energy and Trade. McCain said that we could eliminate our dependence on foreign oil by building 45 new nuclear power plants, but he did not mention offshore drilling in the U.S, something that he supports very much. Other concepts McCain supports include clean coal burning technology, natural gas, and renewable energy sources (solar, tide, wind). I don't think that McCain really supports renewable energy that much, even though he said he did. Obama said that we could reduce our dependence by focusing on bio-diesel, solar, wind, and geothermal sources. As you can see, McCain stands for using less environmental friendly, more effective energy sources, such as nuclear. Obama is looking into environmental friendly, less developed/effective resources such has wind and solar energy. He is not focused on offshore drilling because as he states, "We can't drill ourselves out of the energy crisis".
I watched the economic plans and taxes section of this video. McCain generally talked about the housing issue and how the people affected and not affected will get what they need. Obama talked about the middle class and how he wanted to use a tax cut. I noticed that most of the time Senator McCain seemed to send more time critizing Senator Obama than talking about what he was going to do. I think that McCain had a somewhat better way of explain what he was going to do, but kept repeating the same thing. Obama was able to offer many ideas and explian where things were going wrong. When Obama was getting to the part of explaining how he was going to change things McCain interrupted him. I found this very annoying because McCain's style seemed to be that he would attack whatever Obama said. Obama spoke in a easy going sort of way that made you want to listen to what he was talking about.
Each canidate said a lot of details that related to the question, but didn't really answer the question its self. They both invested a lot of money to help the economy, but didn't say how it would help, or how the acctualy plan to do that. When they were asked abot negative campaigning they didn't answer, just talked about how it has been a tough campaign and stuff like that. Then they begin to fight about it. To me that's just digraceful. Each one saying that what the other one says isn't true, just to make them look bad. Personally, I think the canidates should be more focused on winning than making one another look bad to the public. Like I said, disgraceful.
First off, will John McCain please stop saying “Joe the plumber” and denying the truth that Barack Obama had just spoken? For example John McCain said Joe the plumber 39 times, and probably more than that number, I just got tired of counting how many times he said it. (Yes I sat here for a good hour staring at that transcript.) It seems that John McCain is a little bit too distracted by a plumber he’s never met. But more on lying and denying the truth that Barack Obama had said. For example Barack Obama said that there was a poll determining who was running the negative campaign, and those results turn out to show that most Americans think that John McCain is running a negative campaign, as oppose to Barack’s. After this statement, John McCain rudely and stubbornly said “It’s not true.” when he knows in his own mind that, yes this is true, but I’m going to reject his reality and try to substitute my own. I don’t know about you but I would not want that kind of guy running my country.
On the Debate, I watched the beginning eight minutes about the Wall Street Crisis, and what they are going to do. They were talking about lowering taxes for working Americans. They will cut taxes on 95% of working Americans. People who make 250,000 dollars a year or more, may see a slight increase on their taxes, or no increase at all. McCain would like everyone to be able to pay mortgages on their houses. Obama wants the same to happen, as well as ending tax breaks for people with jobs, help families get a tax cut, make sure everyone has an education and health insurance, and lastly to help fix the energy policy. They both would like to homeowners as well. All of these ideas make good sense to me. If you don't make a lot of money, and are struggling to put food on the table, you shouldn't have to pay such high taxes. On the other hane, if you are making tons money each year, maybe they could get a slight increase in taxes. Obama talks and sounds very professional. McCain, talks sort of professional, and he kept talking about Joe the plumber, and Joe the rich guy. This was kind of annoying. I also thought he was a little bit nervous in the beginning, because he kept saying, "Americans are hurting and they are angry." After a while I got the point he trying to make. This is what each of the candidates think with everyting, and the Wall Street Crisis.
First of all i think it is a little funny that elliott counted how many times McCane said Joe the Plumer. But I do agree that he was very repetative in what he was saying it was almost like sometimes he was avoiding the question.They also said how much money they were both investing in the economy but they did not say exactly how it was going to help.McCain also spent a good amount of time saying how bad of a job Obama was doing but he really did not spend to much time talking about what he was going to do. So he was either on defence or offence.But he was never safly in the middle. For that I think that his writers did not do a good job.But Obama was pretty in the same place because he was on defence or offence most of the time but he spent more time telling the people what he was going to do for them.So to sum it up i think they were mostly on the same playing feild. One did not shine over the other.
I read the part of the transcript about health care. Obama had said that he would favor controlling health care costs and expanding health care coverage. He said that he is tired of seeing people who are laid off without health insurance. This is bad because they may get sick, and go bankrupt. Obamas plan is to give everybody health insurance, and lower health costs, manage chronic illnesses, like diabetes or heart disease, and to make the system more efficient. McCain plans to have physical fitness programs so that we don't get fat, and plans to lower the cost of health care, and to give every American family 5,000 dollars to spend in the health care market. I really don't think either of their plans made any sense though, because I really didn't get how they were going to obtain all of the money to don this. Obamas plan (to me anyways) made more sence than McCains did because he said that we would cut the average familys premium by 2,500, if we didn't have health insurance he would give those people a cut from the "federal pool" that he and McCain both enjoy as federal employees. The "federal pool" will give high quality health care and a choice of docters for less than the average non-federal pool person. Really, I just think that John McCain is trying to sweet-talk the people by re-stating almost everything that George Bush had done, but in different words to confuse the people of our country. Obama has planned to actually change the health care policy for the better, but John McCain is to stubborn to change at all.
And just like courtney had said, and Elliott too, John Mccin was very,very repitive with what he said. I think that this was also because he only had very few ideas for a new and better health care, so he was only stating the few that he had. Obviously, I'm siding with Obama. He is vey free-flowing and un-repitive with his ideas. I forgot to add this is my other post before this, so here it is Mr.Croft, don't think I didn't do it right!
by: kyle bennet
i noticed that McCains first part in the debat he kept repating his self. he kept saying that the americans are angre and Obama should be worried. i also noticed that McCain said that the wall street crises is going to take a long time to go back to normal. i disagree it would have already benn back to normal bit every body is cumplaning and they wont let the government do there job for ones. i also noticed that the canidates are arguing for the same reseaons. they both want to do the same thing. i finnally noticed that both state that the wall street crises is as bad as the graet depresion in th 1930's. i disagree. back then americas government couldnt fix the problem but today they the power to fix it.
In my opinion McCain was really trying to bash Obama a lot. Especially with taxes. While i was watching, all McCain did was attack Barack about how he didnt help this guy Joe the plummer with starting his own buisness. Also with the fuel, even when they had the exact same ideas of using biofuel and solar/wind power, McCain was still trying to find ways to make Obama look bad. Barack was talking more about using fuel in places like Venesuala, he was talking about expanding our horizens in the fuel and oil area. MCain also had those ideas but they were more about drilling and making more of a mess. I also watched the beginning on the Wall Street crisis, bot candidates want to help. They both want to lower taxes for working americans. People who make around 250,000 dollars a year would see a little or no increase in their taxes.
In this speech McCain says "we got to reverse this and put the home owners first that we shall go an buy the home lone mortgages.” But Obama just keeps talking about how tax payers will get back there money. Obama states that his four specific things that he thinks will help are:1 end tax breaks for shipping jobs 2 help families right away 3financial package 4 fix energy policy health care. But McCain fights back saying that he’ll have affordable health care and keep the taxes low and thankfully, McCain will not allow a tax increase to happen. Compared to what Obama is trying to pull off. Personally I think Obama’s plan is more like Nobama because he wants to raise the taxes and Joe the plumber won’t be able to afford the business that he’s worked so hard for in his life. So what McCain is trying to do compared to Obama, is that he plans on keeping the taxes the way they are and not raising the wealthier part of the American's bill.
By Spencer Ylagan
Mr. Croft I am sorry but it will not let me get to this debate webpage. Ti have tried about ten times.
It is not even letting me see it it says there is a 404 error. I don't know what that means. I will tell you tomorrow in homeroom.
John McCain rly slamed Senator Obama in this debate. Mr.McCain kept cutting Obama off and saying how he is better. Mr.McCain was not fair and didnt hear senator Obamas idea,instead John mcCain just said how his idea was better without knowing what Obama was going to say. they both were saying interesting ideas and when they got to the question that was about the negativity in htis debate they were both trying not to look like jerks beecause i think they relized how much they put eachother down.
What they talked about was that the economy is hurting right now and we need help. Which basically means that our business, stocks, and jobs are suffering. McCain said that out of those 750-billon dollars we should take 300 of that billon and go and buy those home loan mortgages. Obama wants to give a tax break to people that make 200,000 a year. He also believes in what McCain wants to do but he wants to do in a different way. I think that Obama’s idea is good because people who have more money will give more money to the government and the people who have less money don’t have to worry as much to pay their taxes. I also don’t really get what Obama and McCain want to do with home loan mortgages. I think that Obama tries not to be argue and cares about the middle class. McCain Cares about the veterans and the war a lot since he was in the war and he grew up in an army family.
In my opinion you can tell that there was alot of competion between the two candidates. I saw that McCain was really try to bash Obama alot. Obama did do altot of talking but I noticed that John had toched on a few key points.
In watching the debate McCain says that americans are very very angry. Americans are losing there homes and taxes are rising. McCain does not want that for americas people. He does not want the government to be so much involved. McCain wants to take 300 billion dollars from the 750 billion and help people who need help to pay off there loan mortgages. This unfair that the government is spending money when really the people are paying the money. Obama says that the financial plan is the first step. Obama want to make sure that there are 4 major things that get done. He really wants to focus on jobs. He wants provide tax credit for every company that is creating a job here in America. Number 2 Obama wants to help families by providing tax cuts. Obama agrees that we should help homeowners. Obama wants to help with our health care system for every person is America.
In watching the debate McCain says that americans are very very angry. Americans are losing there homes and taxes are rising. McCain does not want that for americas people. He does not want the government to be so much involved. McCain wants to take 300 billion dollars from the 750 billion and help people who need help to pay off there loan mortgages. This unfair that the government is spending money when really the people are paying the money. Obama says that the financial plan is the first step. Obama want to make sure that there are 4 major things that get done. He really wants to focus on jobs. He wants provide tax credit for every company that is creating a job here in America. Number 2 Obama wants to help families by providing tax cuts. Obama agrees that we should help homeowners. Obama wants to help with our health care system for every person is America.
When the topic of taxes came up, John McCain brought up Joe the plumber, who is a man that Obama has spoke to on his trips through cities and towns. McCain said how Obama's tax plan would keep Joe the plumber from making his dream of buying a plumbing company into a reality. McCain says his plan wont affect Joe, and all other small businessmen. Obama said that his plan is raising a little bit from big wealth so that the money can be spread around. He also said that most small businesses don't make enough to be targeted by Obama's tax plan. So i don't really see why Joe the plumber should be so worried. Chances are he wont make enough to have a tax raise, but if he does, there still hundreds of small businesses that don't. But while senator Obama spoke i found it a little rude how McCain would interrupt him with little comments he found funny. So I think Obama has a good idea, make a small tax increase on the rich that will add up to plenty of money that can be spread around our nation, repairing it from where it is now. To me, Obama seemed more layed back, while McCain was a bit more jumpy, i can tell because he kept interrupting Obama.
Well I didnt want to watch all of the debate..because it was an hour and a half long...so i watched the first question. I have never really watched a debate before so it was kid of weird. First of all, Elliott, and David were right by saying that John McCain was getting a little repetetive, and it got annoying. I find it funny that neither of them can grow up enough to take what the other person has to say..they are like it's my way or the hightway. I dont really like either of the candidates...but I think that i his debate Obama acted sort of more mature than McCain because Senator McCain cant accept anyone elses decisions but his, and I think that he was trying to make Obama feel bad. Another thing that I noticed during the debate is that John McCain is rude. I mean they both inturupted each other quite a few times, but sometimes when Obama is talking McCain will make this face, like what are you talking about, my way is so much better. So in the end, I guess that both of them try really hard to convince the viewer to vote for them, but I still dont really like either of them!
-Emily Anderson
I found that McCain would start almost every time slaming obama amd spending more time about obamas veiws than his own. Obama stated what his policies would be. Where inprovement is needed and cut programs that don't work. McCain thinks he can ballence the budget. He also said energy indepence will help cut the budget. I think McCain should stop slamming Obama.
P.S. I already watched the debate.
I watched the section on energy and environment because that is one issue I really care about. One thing that Barack Obama said was that he knows that we have to stop our dependence on foreign oil and he plans to do that if he is elected president. Another thing Obama promises is that he will make the oil companies use the 68 million acres of land they already possess and drill on them instead of drilling up new land, because we don’t need to. He used the saying, "Use them or lose them." Barack Obama plans to focus on different types of energy besides oil. He plans to invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and geothermal. He also states that it is crucial that we develop a fuel efficient car soon, one that is built here in America and not in some Asian country. I think this plan is extremely good because this is what we need to help stop global warming, we can’t wait for someone else to do it for us we have to take the first steps. Next I watched the section on education. One huge thing that I thought was good was that Obama plans on investing money on helping people pay for college. This is huge because since the tuition for college is so high it is very hard for students to get a proper education, so if student get some help with paying for that then our entire nation will become more intelligent. This plan will also get more young people to help out in their community and become more active in different kinds of service because you get money for college in exchange for some form of community service. I thought that Obama had a very good style, it was positive and right to the point unlike McCain who just kind of beat around the bush and didn’t really dive right into the topic.
I watched the economic plans and taxes section of this video. McCain generally talked about the housing issue and how the people affected and not affected will get what they need. Obama promises is that he will make the oil companies use the 68 million acres of land they already possess and drill on them instead of drilling up new land, because we don’t need to. He used the saying, "Use them or lose them." something else is that Barack Obama plans to focus on different types of energy besides oil. He plans to invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and geothermal. He also states that it is crucial that we develop a fuel efficient car soon, one that is built here in America and not in some Asian country. I think this plan is extremely good because this is what we need to help stop global warming, we can’t wait for someone else to do it for us we have to take the first steps.
I listened to the 10 minute section on negative campaigning and I was dumbfounded by what I saw. Senator McCain was talking mainly about Obama's negative campaigning on his plans such as health care, stem cell research and immagration. McCain seemed quite accusatory towards Obama's adds and defensive towards his own views on these topics. Senator Obama seemed quite relaxed and tried to bring the debate away from accusing each other but towards the actual issues at hand. When Obama stated,"we need to disagree without being disagreeable," he nailed it. It is true, you need to be able to disagree with someone without being negative or accusatory, that is the key to a succesful campaign. Another point is how McCain brought up ACORN and the possible voter frauds while Obama was trying to make statements about his economic plan, I feel this was totally out of line. Two words that really compared the styles of the candidates is that McCain has used the word "attack", while on the same issue, Obama had used the word "allegation" to keep the debate calm and to not be accusatory.
I watched the topic of tax cuts and how they affect small businesses. The question asked was "Why is your plan better than his?" I think because this question was asked a lot of criticizing took place and I noticed that John McCain criticized the most. He kept saying that Obama would take a small business owner's money, like Joe, and use it in a bad way. He asked, "Who--why would you want to increase anybody's taxes right now?" and made Obama seem like he had a bad plan. In the debate, Obama said that he would provide tax cuts to 95% of Americans. He wants to provide a tax credit for every company that’s creating a job in America. Also, he says he is going to provide all families earning less than 200,000 a year a tax cut. McCain wants to take 300 billion dollars and buy people’s home loan mortgages and negotiate with them so that they can pay the mortgage. He says he wants to “put the homeowners first.” I think that what Obama said is a good idea and it makes sense. It is more directed to our citizens of America and families, and I think that it will end up helping everyone in need. If he provides tax cuts to 95% of Americans then it would really help some people. The personal style of Obama is addressing the people and explaining problems and solutions. The personal style of McCain to me seems like backfiring at people and trying to prove why his solution and plans are better in his opinion. He doesn’t really explain problems as much as Senator Obama. For example, (in quote) he said, “ Now Senator Obama talks about the very, very rich. Joe, I want to tell you, I’ll not only help you buy that business that you’ve worked your whole life for and be able-and I’ll keep your taxes low and I’ll provide available and affordable health care for you and your employees.” This is an example of him backfiring at Obama and proving why he thinks his plans are better than Obama because he says that Obama talks about the rich, and implies that he does not as much and can connect to people like Joe. He is saying stuff like “I’ll provide” and “I’ll keep your taxes low” so he can seem super good. On the other hand, Obama just said stuff like “I disagree with” instead of trying to obviously seem better than McCain. He talked much more about his plans and how they are going to help us than McCain did. They both have different presenting styles.
I do agree that McCain was being both repetative, and he was going a little overboard on talking about Obama. This was not a good way to make his speech. But I think that most candidates usually say mean things about the opposing candidate. This does not surprise me, but I feel that even though this usually happens, it is not helping either him, or Obama. Because this makes him look like a bad person. But other people might hear something that may give them second thoughts on electing the other candidate. Which is also not good for the other side.
I watched the economic plans and the taxes part of the video. I think Obama has a good economic plan because he will help working families by giving them a tax cut for people making less than 200,000, so I think this is a good idea because if you already have enough money you will be helping out the poorer Americans because you can already afford to give a little bit of money to help your fellow Americans. This plan will also help small buisnesses and American buisnesses because he will end tax breaks for companies that are shipping jobs overseas. McCain said Joe the plumber way way too much. I read some of the transcribe at the end of the debate and I noticed McCain kept cutting Barack Obama off. I also thought McCain was a little snippy towards Obama. Obama has the greatest health care plan. I like it because every American will get health care. It will lead to a healthier America. It won't change your life if you already have a health care plan because your plan will stay the same but people who don't have health care will get it. I think it is a very smart plan and if Obama dosn't win on November 4 I will be extremly unhappy.
The issue I chose was education. The moderator Bob Schieffer started out by saying that even though America spends some of the most money on education, we are drastically behind in math and science. Obama spoke first. He started by saying that in education there are two ways to make it better, more money and more reform. Obama believes that both of these are equally important. His plans were to recruit a whole new group of teachers for math and science. He also plans on making college easier by lending 4,000 dollars, every year to college students. He finally urged that education is in the hands of parents, and that they must take a more active role in their children’s education. John McCain then spoke. He started out by saying that we need to increase competition with schools to make them better. McCain said that money doesn’t matter in schools, that he has seen some schools with tons of money per student fail in education. He wants kids to be able to go to the best schools they can, not just the ones available to them. His final statement was the make student loans easier to obtain. I think that each of the candidate’s ideas must be used to reform schools. For the styles of the candidates, for this segment at least, they both seemed geared towards the issues instead of slamming each other. However in the whole election, McCain seemed a little bit more eager to interject his ideas. If you look at the colored lines above the video, there are more tiny red lines in the blue area then vice versa.
john McCain want a short term and long term fixes for taxes for housing. McCain is convinced that until we reverse this continued decline in home ownership. Obama believe worst financial crisis since great depression. Obama disagrees with senator McCains plan for housing fixes. 95% of americas will get a tax cut. obama wants to get small businesses a tax break. america today is paying second tax rate in the world. The tax rate for small businesses is 35%.
I watched the first 8 minutes of the presidential debate. The two senators, Obama and McCain, are talking about the idea of lowering taxes for the americans. For americans who make more than $250,000 dollars a year, Obama wants to increase their taxes because they can afford it. For people who do not make over $250,000 a year, Obama will not raise their taxes. He will lower their taxes instead. I agree with what Obama is saying. Americans who cannot afford high taxes should not have to pay as high taxes as Americans who can afford to pay them. John McCain interrupts Barack Obama often. I think he is nervous and thinks that people will think he is better if he attacks Obama.
I watched the first 8 minutes of the presidential debate. The two senators, Obama and McCain, are talking about the idea of lowering taxes for the americans. For americans who make more than $250,000 dollars a year, Obama wants to increase their taxes because they can afford it. For people who do not make over $250,000 a year, Obama will not raise their taxes. He will lower their taxes instead. I agree with what Obama is saying. Americans who cannot afford high taxes should not have to pay as high taxes as Americans who can afford to pay them. John McCain interrupts Barack Obama often. I think he is nervous and thinks that people will think he is better if he attacks Obama.
I wathched the first 8 minutes of the third presidential debate. The first 8 mints was about the Wall Street financial crisis. Both Obama and McCain spoke to the audience and all of America on how they plan to help people. McCain spoke first. He said that he wanted to make it affordable for all Americans to pay their mortgages. He wants to take 300 billion and go and buy those home loan mortgages and negociate woth those people in their homes. He stated that we must put the homeowners first. Next Obama spoke. He said that we are expieriencing the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. He focused on four specific things that he think will help. Number one, we must focus on jobs, he said we should put an end to the tax breaks for companies that are shipping jobs oversees. Number two, provide a tax cut for people making less than 200,000 dollars a year. He also talked about some of things he agrees and disagrees with McCain. I think both men gave some good information, but Obama feels more relaxed and comfortable talking about the pollicies he wants to bring for America. Lastly McCain did argue with Obama alot.
On the final presidential debate, i watched the candidates trash each other and there polocies down more than often. Of course on of the main topics was taxes and who we are going to lower or raise them for. another major issue is how we are we are going to turn the economy around after eight years of bush and another four years with mccain if we dont choose the right president but mccain want to cut taxes for corporate businesses. This is wrong, the 400 richiest people in america make in a year what is equivalent to several million middle class families. why should we give them tax breakes and let us pay for them getting richer. if you want mccain then you want the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer. Obama wants to bring more socialism into the country and i have no problem with that. At least you get free medical so everyone can afford it instead of only the rich and middle-class. Capitalism basically feeds the poverty percentage and i think its time for change.
One thing I learned is that the United States has borrowed over $700 billion from China. Also the national debt has doubled over the last 8 years.
One thing I wonder is why do candidates allways use negative campaign tactics against each other. I also wonder what exactly do they mean by pork barrell spending and earmarks.
John McCain's plan to address the economic crisis is to have tax cuts on capital gains, and tax breaks for seniors. He says that Americans are hurting and are angry. They're innocent victims of greed on Wall Street and in Washington D.C. He says that we need to have a short term fix and long term fixes. His short term fix is that we have to reverse this continued decline in home ownership. He proposes that we take $300 billion and help people so that they can afford to pay the mortgage and stay in their homes. I agree with some of what McCain proposed for example I think it is true that we need to stop the decline in home ownership. However I disagree with McCain’s tax plans. I think that he should worry more about the middle class since they are the ones who hold up the economy right now the middle class is weak and I think McCain should focus more on them. Obama has proposed $60 billion tax cut plan for middle-income and lower-income people. He says that he wants to make sure that the taxpayers can get their money back if they're putting money up. He plans to end the tax breaks for companies that are shipping jobs overseas and provide a tax credit for every company that's creating a job right here in America. He wants to cut the taxes on all people making less that $200,000. He also agrees with McCain on the fact that they need to help homeowners. Some long term challenges in this economy that have to be dealt with are that we have to stop giving our wealth away and fix our energy policy. We also must fix our health care systems and we have to make sure our education system allows every young person to learn. The difference between the two candidates is who they want to cut taxes for. Obama will cut taxes for 95% of working families. Anyone who makes less than .25 million per year will not see their taxes go up. Obama provides three times the amount of tax relief to middle-class families than McCain does. He wants to give small businesses additional tax breaks because they are the drivers of the economy and they produce the most jobs. I think Obama’s ideas for tax cuts are better than McCain’s because he focuses more on making the middle class stronger. He is trying to get more jobs in America by giving tax cuts to small businesses that are creating the most jobs. He is going to give more tax cuts to the middle class; people who make under $250,000 per year will get tax cuts. This is good because it won’t help the economy if the rich people just get richer while everyone else suffers. Obama is also a much better speaker. Even though McCain has some good ideas he doesn’t state them well. Obama is more relaxed while McCain seems more stressed out and angry. McCain keeps going back to the same ideas he keeps getting Obama with Joe the plumber. But he really must not have anything else to say because he keeps bringing up the same points.
McCain said the he could change the U.S. budget in four years. He also stated that Obama voted to increase taxes for people making 42,000 dollars a year. McCain bashed Obama to try to make him sound bad and to prove that he won’t say what he says he’ll say. McCain stated that if Obama wanted to run against Bush then he should have run 4 years ago. He went on to say that he would bring change to the U.S. budget. What the candidates said was good and their plans were sound but they have to go through with them and I’M not sure that they will. I believe that they are just saying these things because of the outrageous taxes and the government spending but I don’t think that they will change the budget all that much. When presenting Obama spoke to the public and tried to convince them that McCain was lying and that he was just saying that to deter Obama’s voters.
The part of the debate that I watched was the questions on the topic of taxes. John McCain mentioned that, with Obama’s tax plan, some small businesses would have to pay large amounts of taxes. However, Obama told him that not only do most small businesses earn less than a quarter of a million dollars a year, but that his plan also includes a tax break for those small businesses. This is because small businesses are the real backbone of the American economy. Without the small businesses, America would fail. McCain often mentioned that nobody likes taxes and that it would be better if all Americans didn’t have to pay taxes. I think that many people can sympathize with this view; however later on in the debate the moderator mentioned that there was a huge financial deficit. I didn’t understand how Americans couldn’t pay taxes, if there was such a large amount of money to be paid. It did not make sense, because somebody has to pay taxes, and it would be preferable to have the people with lots of money to pay for it, instead of the middle class people. McCain’s style was a sort of attacking point of view; always trying to put Obama down and say how Obama’s plans were bad. For example he said that Obama’s plans would leave wealthy small businesses poor. Obama on the other hand was always calmly coming back and easily disproving McCain’s’ doubts about Obama’s plans. He would tell how his tax plan would help almost all Americans. He was cool and collected and always had an answer to John McCain. McCain was trying to appear calm on the outside but we could tell that he was no match for Obama. All he could do was put him down. Obama has the only sensible plan to help America now that Bush has spent all the money left over from the previous President (and more).
I watched the first eight minutes of the 3rd and last presidential debate. The topic they were debating on was on the Wall Street Financial Crisis. Both Obama and McCain had plans on how to help us Americans during this crisis. The question that Mr.Schieffer (The moderator of the debate) asked was, "Why is your plan better than his?" McCain was the first one to answer his question. John McCain stated that he wants to take $300 billion and buy home loan mortgages and negotiate with people in their homes,so that they can afford to pay the mortgage and stay in thier home. He also said that we have to put the homeowners first. After that,Obama spoke. He mainly focused on a few seperate tactis that he believe will help. One was that he wants to put an end to tax breaks for companies that are shipping jobs out of overseas. Another one was that he wants to provide a tax cut for people in America making less than $200 thousand a year. Later on, it seemed to me that while they were talking about what they agree and disagree on, McCain was usually arguing with Obama with some issues. But Obama kept his "cool" and answered calmly. I think that McCain is just trying to get some more descriptive info out of Obama so that the people will know what Obama is entirely for. I think that both candidates did a pretty good job, though.
I noticed that McCain was mainly critizizing Obama more than bringing up his own ideas to solutions. McCain was also commenting alot about what should be done about the troops in Iraq. In Obama’s style of speaking he was mentioning alot of ideas he had on solving problems. In McCain’s style of speaking he was mainly blaming Obama on certain things.
I watched the piece of the debate about health care, because I thought that this is one of the most important needs of our society. The things that Senator Obama said about health care, was that he wanted the large businesses to continue to give all of their employers the right to provide health care. He also wants all the people in
America to have the right buy health care at a cheaper price. Technically he wants everyone in our nation to be covered, and insured with health care. Senator McCain on the other hand, wants to give everyone five thousand dollars towards their health care costs. He would give the five thousand dollars to all the people because then employers in buisnesses would no longer have to provide it. I think I would prefere Senator Obama's idea's about health care because if people were given five thousand dollars, they would probably spend it on something else, other than health care. Obama has the right idea because he shows the people with a good deal of many can help the system by spreading it around, amd allow our country to cover our whole society better. So I think Barack's plan is better than McCain's plan. Obama's style when he spoke was a bit shaky because he kept on saying "eh", "uh", and "ah". These pauses makes Obama's speech less convincing because it sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking aobut. McCain was very firm about his opinion, even though he did have his very long pauses between thoughts, though I can understand why both of these candidates would have these features. The styles of these candidates were quite similar, and yet very different. Things that Obama had was that he was trying to convince the audience, and grasp their attention on the things that he thought were most importnt. Senator McCain, wanted to lure the audience into what he thought was right.
I think that Obama was trying to say that the middle-class tax-payers deserve their money back and he dis agrees with McCain's approach to the Wall Street Crisis. Obama has a plan to lower taxes and raise taxes for people who make more than 250,000 dollars a year.This way, the people get to keep more of their money and the richer people don't. I understand Obama's plan to solve the economic crisis, but I don't understand McCain's idea because he doesn't explain what he is going to do very well. I understand Obama's disagreement to McCain's idea for solving the crisis. According to what McCain said, only the bank will benefit from his idea. Now, I didn't understand each of the candidates' ideas, but to me, Obama's is clearer and it sounds like it will work as well. I also don't understand why McCain wants to cut the taxes for the rich people($250'000 a year or more). I believe that the middle-class people need their taxes cut instead of the richer people. First of all, the middle-class probably works harder for their pay than richer people and it's the people who make less money who need more of their money.
In the part of the debate that I watched McCain talked about how Americans are going though wrought times right now and there are short term and long term fixes to the problems at hand. One of the short term fixes that he used as an example was the housing crisis and the housing market of America. He also says that “we” need to put the homeowner first in this situation and the way the “we” fix it. This make sense and I think that it should always be the first priority that the senate considers when making a diction that influence that people and there own lives. I think that McCain is considering the people to be a main priority of the way that thinks happen and that they should be considered to be affected the most (well usually in a situation like this on), and find every way possible to fix this problem (that occurs even more as time goes on, in my thinking). I think that McCain was getting to a big problem by mentioning this and it should be taken into consternation in farther situation and crisis.
I watched most of the debate on TV when it hapened so i dont remember what the segments were named. I notice how John Mcain pretty mutch the whole debate kept on cutting off obama saying that obama was lieing on several things. I noticed how Mcain and generaly his campaighn will say very general and simple minded things constantly untill the shallow minded portion of america becomes set on that candidate. Other then that as david said i dont know where there getting the money to do theese things. I thought it was funny how Obama would say something like "im cutting taxes for 95% of the country and mcain was like "no your not" and they went on like this for a while not saying how there going to lower taxes and make the econemy better at the same time.
the section that i watched was about the campaign ads and their and stated facts about each other and themselves. Barrack Obama stated that 100% of John McCain's ads were negative. John McCain disagreed with that comment. Barrack said that he would rather have the next three weeks devoted to talking about healthcare, energy and figuring out how to send kids to college that being attacked by John McCain, but said he didn't mind it. McCain says that he turned on the TV to watch football and stated that every other ad he saw was an attack on his healthcare plan. He announced that he in-fact did support stem cell research even-though Obama's ads said that he doesn't and after that McCai mentions Joe the plumber again. Next Obama describes how people at Mccain's running mate's rallies yell out phrases like "Terrorist" and "Kill him" and she didn't tell them to stop. I have noticed that Obama attacks McCain indirectly and passively. He does not resort to attacking Mccain directly. He criticizes Mccain quietly unlike McCain who it is obvious when he is criticizing/ attacking Obama. I believe that McCain uses this strategy because (no offense to John McCain) he is not that good of a speaker especially compared to Barack Obama because Obama is a good speaker and knows how to assess with a nicer approach. McCain likes to blame Obama and Obama likes to focus on change.
Well even in those last 8 minutes that the candidates spoke a lot was said. When they started they were talking about how poor the Washington DC school system is. Obama claims that Bush was wrong in putting forward the group No Child Left Behind and aparently the money was also left behind. He would like to provide education for kids with special needs. McCain said the school systen has vouchers provided in them. Plus, that No Child Is Left Behind organization was a great first beginning in his point of view. Now as for my opinion I can see what each candidate is saying but I am agreeing with Obama on this one when he says the organization NCILB(no child is left behind) is not doing us a financial favor. The way McCain presented his debate is he sometimes referred to what Obama said and tried to prove it wrong. Obama kept saying different ways he could benefit the country when president, a bit more than McCain. Like Obama says " we've got to have a president who is going to tackle it head-on. And that is what I intend to do as president". McCain referred to what Obama said and tried to prove it wrong by saying " That was a voucher, Senator Obama. And i'm quite frankly surprised that you didn't pay more attention to that example".
what john mccain is saying is that we are at a crisis piont in our life. he want to give money to the major high weath companies. now what barrack obama is saying is that he wants to cut taxs for middle class people that gain less than a quarter of a million dollers. each family will get a taxut and a middle class cut on the people. what john mcCain said i didnt realy understand because he wants to give money to major companies. wouldnt that help the companies instead of the people. what obama said i could understand he gives money to the people and we can get more jobs and more money. what i notice in the debate was that john mccain and obama always come with a comeback. meaning that they realy want to win this.also john mcCain kinda stutters in the debate.
In this debate, I watched the discussion about the Wall Street Crisis and Obama's tax plan. For the Wall Street Crisis, John McCain said, "Now, we have allocated $750 billion. Let's take 300 of that billion and go in buy those home loan mortgages and negotiate with those people in homes, 11 million homes or more, s o that they can afford to pay the mortgage." While he said this and the rest of the speech, I noticed several things, he only looked at Bob Schieffer when he answered his questions, and that McCain was stuttering and repeating his words,Obama flinched at McCain's words, and that McCain didn't really answer the question and kind of blabber on about another topic. Obama responded by, "I disagree with Senator McCain in how to do it, because the way Senator McCain has designed his plan, it could be a giveaway to banks if we're buying full price mortgages that now are worth a lot less." In Obama's response I notice that he looked at Bob Schieffer, the crowd, the TV, and John McCain. He politely stated that he disagreed and why. McCain attacks with Obama's plan to "raise" taxes for the middle class. Which also was a false statement. In my eyes, Obama was more proffessional and prepared, where McCain was not.
McCain is saying that our country is in a crisis and wants to give the money to high wealth companies. Obama is saying middle class people who gain less get a tx cut since they earn less. I think McCain's plan is going to help the companies not the people. and Obama's plan si going to help the people but we have to help our economy?
Obama said that he wants to lower the cost of health care without changing the the plan. McCain said that he wants to lower the cost and get healthcare for the people who dont have it or cant afford it. they both have the same idea to lower healthcare and it makes sense because 46 million americans are uninsured. i think they should continue to work on our health care. Obama seems to use other peoples problems in their speeches like the 2 woman in their 50s if they got sick they could possibly go bankrupt. McCain seems to use data more like 47 million americans are without healthcare.
Obama said he wants to lower the cost of healthcare for everyone without forcing them to change their plan or change doctors. McMcain wants to lower the cost and allow everyone who doesn't have healthcare to get it. It seems to me that they want the sane thing for americans which is surprising because they disagree on so many other things. Obama told us that the 700 Billion dollar bailout plan will put money back into the peoples pockets. McCains style of his speech is to try to avoid things he knows won't win him any votes. Obama doesn't need to avoid he faces things head on which is why people like him so much
When I wached this vidio John McCain seemed to be only talking about the down sides of obamas plans, never giving a full explanation f his own. I wached the economic part of the vidio and i think obamas plan to give every one that makes under 200,000 dollars a year should get a tax beak or cut. because the people that make more than that dont need help paying taxes. One thing i noticed was that Obama's plans seem more thought out than John McCains because John McCain would strugle to figure out words or repeat words which made me think that he dosnt even understand his own plan.But I also wached the part where they talked avout each others adds Obama stated that all of McCaines adds were negitive but i also think alot of obamas adds are negitive to because he talks about his mom dying, never seeing his dad.
The candidates said that Obama is focused on the small buisneses so they can pay for insurance etc. As for McCain he wants a tax cut for Americans so they can get back on their feet. I think parts of both of there pollicies are good but they both have flauses. It makes sense but there both focusing on different things. Both their ideas have a good quality to them. Well Obama likes to be straight forward on the help to small buisnesses in America. McCain likes to talk about tax cuts to help the Americans. They both like to be straight forward and give examples on how they will help Americans.
Also i dont understand why every is talking about how McCain just dissed Obama and anyway i didnt hear him diss him at all and anyway if he did wouldnt you be just as bad as him for dissing someone? Anyway their both good people just because you dont like them than dont support them, dont just keep posting unnessisary comments.
McCain was being really rude to Obama during the taxes section. He was basically saying, I'm right you're wrong, sooo you're wasting America's time. I mean I understand that this is an election debate and that you are supposed to bash your opponent, but I mean by bashing your opponent on national television you might be lowering your votes. John McCain was also making no sense when he was talking about Joe the plumber. I really was confused with what he was trying to say, and even if he has one person confused then maybe 700 more people in America are too, and those votes count. Obama had a style where he was very relaxed but confident and got everything very clearly and he tried not to overlap peoples thoughts. McCain was very cocky it seemed. Like he thought that he already won. Well McCain, its close to Novemeber, but not as close as you think!
By Spencer Ylagan
I agree with Senator Obama's on economic solution. He says that it will take a while to fix this and that we should all play a part in fixing this. And make sure people don't make money off of this. But I don't agree with the part that the middle class should get a break and that the upper class should pay more taxes. I also agree on the small business part of John McCain's tax cut. Because my father owns his own office and this would affect him.
Post a Comment