Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kosovo's Declaration of Independence

In 2008, Kosovo, a state in the country of Serbia in Europe, declared its independence from Serbia. People from Kosovo declared that they were forming a new country. Before you post your comment, watch this video: http://jp.reuters.com/news/video?videoChannel=200&videoId=123608914 and read this article:
Then, write a formal paragraph of at least eight sentences responding to one or both of the following questions:
  • What do you think will happen? Will Kosovo and Serbia be able to co-exist peacefully?
  • How is the Kosovar struggle for independence similar to or different from the United States' struggle for independence?
Remember, read some of your classmates' posts; you will get extra credit for using a classmates' comment in your post.

88 comments:

MrsB said...

After reading the article and watching the video on Kosovo's independence it is not clear if they will gain independence. The International Court of Justice ruled in favor of independence but Serbia says the Kosovo’s move for independence is illegal.
I read in the article that the US showed some interest in Kosovo’s independence. Vice President Joe Biden called the President of Serbia to express our support for Kosovo’s independence. He urged Serbia to work out their conflicts with Kosovo. Their independence from Serbia is similar to our independence from Britain.
As Sam commented, “Thursday’s ruling was not legally binding and the United Nations General Assembly therefore remains free to decide what action to take.” He said because of this Kosovo will not gain their independence. I agree with Sam that Kosovo will not gain its independence completely because different countries feel differently about their independence. Some will treat them independent and some will not.

Luke W said...

The video and article are somewhat unclear. In the article it said that it was legal and the court of justice ruled a 10-4 vote. It then said that they were celebrating with fireworks in the capital of Kosovo after it was announced. But Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed, saying Belgrade had hoped for a "peaceful compromise solution" that did not create "dangerous secessionist precedents" anywhere else in the world. The U.N. General Assembly asked the court to clarify the legality of Kosovo's declaration, based on a request from Serbia, and then court held hearings last December. Also the video was just plain unclear. When all the court meetings were going on Serbia was just plain unhappy. That is what I thought of the video and article.

Laura V said...

The video and article were somewhat unclear, and I couldn't tell how their declearation differs from ours. But I do believe that Kosovo will gain independence from Serbia. It was stated that Kosovo's actions were legal, and not out of line. Serbia lost control of Kosovo in 1998, and I don't think Serbia will regain that control anytime soon. Still, the Serbian government refuses to reconize Kosovo as independant, so that may cause problems in the future. But the U.N. clearly stated that Kosovo broke no international law, and Vice President Joe Biden even called the Serbian president, favoring Kosovo's independence. Although Serbia says Kosovo's actions are illegal, the majority of United Nations General Assembly say Kosovo's actions are very legal. And that's why think Kosovo will gain it's independence.

Alden C said...

I think Kosovo will gain independence from Serbia because many countries, like Bosnia and Montenegro have already gained independence from Serbia. Our declaration of independence is similar in a way to Kosovo’s because we gained independence from another country (England) and Kosovo gained independence also. Like us Kosovo fought back for what they believed in. I think Kosovo should be able to gain independence. If they want to be their own nation they should be allowed, they fought for two long years, if that’s not enough to gain independence I don’t know what is. I personally do not respect Serbia because of the genocide they committed in Bosnia. I hope they do not try to do the same to Kosovo!

Dallas M said...

I agree with Laura and Luke, the video and article were somewhat unclear. But I think Kosovo will gain independence from Serbia. If Serbia lost control of Kosovo that long ago, I hardly doubt that they will regain control. Though you never know, considering Serbia still believes that the move was illegal. But then again, other countries have gained independence from Serbia in the past. I also believe Kosovo will gain independence from Serbia because they have every right too. The United Nations General Assembly made it very clear that despite Serbia’s beliefs, Kosovo’s move was defiantly legal. I could not tell how their declaration is different from ours, but it is similar because It states that they want to gain independence from their mother country.

casey w said...

I thought the video wasn’t clear enough for me to understand. But the article made more sense. In the article it said Kosovo’s declaration of independence from Serbia was in February of 2008 were legal and the court of justice ruled in a 10-4 vote. In the capital of Kosovo people were setting off fireworks after finding out the news. Serbia’s Foreign minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed. He said Belgrade had hoped for a “peaceful compromise.” Serbia says Kosovo’s move of independence was illegal and that it remains part of the Serbian republic. But the international court of justice said that Kosovo was its own country on a 10-4 vote. Then Joe Biden urged Serbia and Kosovo to work things out. Also I don’t know what the opinion Serbia gave the international court of justice and why they all voted on it.

Mrs.B said...

This is a Model Post
After reading the articles and watching the video about Kosovo i don’t think they will get their independence. There appears to be confusion as to whether they actually have independence. Their are countries that say they are independent. The United States and United Kingdom agree they are independent. In the video Serbia said they will never consider Kosovo independent

Mrs.B said...

THIS IS A MODEL POST Kosovo is independent the court said they were. the video said serbis will never let them be independent

Kimberly G said...

I think that Kosovo will gain independence. We did it, so why can't they? They fought for two whole years, as Alden said. That's a long time! If other now-countries have gained independence from Serbia, why can't they?
It took them two years, and they still haven't made up their minds as to whether or not their Declaration Of Independence is illegal or not! I wonder, what does that have to say about different governments....
I admire Kosovo for standing up to Serbia.

Katie K. said...

From reading the article I think that the decision if Serbia should become its own country is still up in the air. The International Court of Justice said and voted that it was legal for Kosovo to become its own country. However since Serbia was against the fact that Kosovo wanted to become independent they said it was illegal. In the movie Serbia said “That under no circumstances will they recognize the independence of the so called republic of Kosovo. They said their opinion will not change and they are confident that the opinions of all the major players will not change.” The relationship between Serbia and Kosovo is not good because of the bombings and the two-year war between them. The United States called and wanted to reassure Serbia of their “strong and deep ties” between them and the United States and advised them to work out their problems with Kosovo. Another reason that I believe the independence of Serbia is still unclear is because in the text it says, “…many countries including the United States and the United Kingdom have recognized Kosovo as an independent state. Many countries such as Russia, China, neighboring Bosnia, and the European nations of Spain and Greece have not, however.” I believe that Serbia will not gain official independence from Serbia but many countries have their opinions about whether Kosovo is independent or not.


The American Declaration of Independence is very similar to the Kosovar Declaration of Independence. One reason is when the Americans tried to gain independence from Great Britain the English king got very angry and declared treason on them. Just like when Serbia got angry at Kosovo for trying to gain independence from the country of Serbia. Just like Britain fought with American, Serbia had a two-year battle with Kosovo along with the bombing of Kosovo. However the Americans did gain their independence from Britian unlike Kosovo who have yet been freed from Siberia. That is how they are different and alike.

Jake said...

I think kosovo will gain their independence even though they already have. A state like kosovo and any other state in America should be able to do what ever they please along government lines as long as they have permission from who ever is in charge. Kosovo is like America because when we wanted to become an independent country, we fought for what we wanted. We are also like Kosovo because we gained are independence from another country England just like Kosovo did from Serbia. I think Serbia was a little harse because Kosovo was part of their country. The right thing to do in my opinion would have been that the two government leaders should of had a meeting and Kosovo should have asked in a nice way we would like to become an independent country. Serbia should have had no problem saying yes. But things happen for a reason don't they. :)

Krissi C said...

Its hard to say wether Kosovo and Serbia will get along. i say this becuase in the article it said, " Serbia believes that Kosovos move for independence was illegal an that it remains a part of Serbia. After Kosovo got its independence the people of Kosovo celebrated. I think the people of serbia didn't. I say ths because if serbia was so high strung anout them not getting there independence why would they just be all happy about it now? If they really dont get along then this conflict could end up in war. one reason they might go to war is due to religion conflicts. if one of then is Christian and the other is Muslim one of them could say something to set the other one off. either way i still think its hard to say wether Kosovo and Serbia will get along.

Maddy M said...

I personally think that Kosovo and Serbia will not get along. This is because; Serbia refused to let Kosovo become its own country. It will also be a struggle for the two countries to get along because they are right next to each other. Both the video and articles were very confusing to me because I really have no clue why Kosovo wanted to become its own country. Serbia said that it felt Kosovo’s independence was illegal and injustice and that just confused me more. But, if Serbia was willing to say Kosovo’s independence is illegal then it really is a clue that there will always be sore feelings between the two countries. I have got to say that even the vice president, Joe Biden, wasn’t able to convince Serbia to let Kosovo gain independence has got to say something about how controlling Serbia really is. Hopefully Kosovo and Serbia will end up like America and England. America struggled for independence and got independence just like Kosovo. Although it is unclear if the two countries will become Allies in the future like Britain and America.

Rachel C. said...

After reading the article and watching the video on Kosovo’s independence, I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. In the article, it said that Serbia’s Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed and said that Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to problems in the future. Serbia believes that Kosovo’s move for independence was illegal and that it remains a part of Serbia. This shows that Serbia isn’t thinking positively at all and may hold a grudge against Kosovo. I read in the article “… the European Union is certain to play a mediating role, but Kosovo’s leadership will also be keen to involve the Americans, which will spur the Serbs to seek Russian involvement.” Another article says, “Since the declaration of independence, many countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, have recognized Kosovo as an independent state. Many other countries, such as Russia and China, have supported Serbia.” Bringing other countries into the disagreement creates even more tension and many more opinions that will further ignite the situation. In some sense, it is like each country has it’s own allies. As Katie K. quoted, in the movie, Serbia said, “ That under no circumstances will they recognize the independence of the so called republic of Kosovo. They said that their opinion will not change and they are confident that the opinions of all the major players will not change.” I agree with Katie that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. After years of conflict and a two-year war between the two, it makes the relationship even worse. This is why I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

I think that the Kosovar struggle for independence is both similar and different from the United States struggle for independence. One reason why I believe that it is different is because they are in different time frames that had different rules/laws. Instead of having a war decide who got their way, Kosovo and Serbia had the International Court Of Justice if Kosovo could become independent. Another difference between the two countries struggle for independence is that the U.S.’s struggle for independence involved life or death for the people who created the Declaration Of Independence. One other difference is that unlike the U.S., many other countries got involved, such as the U.S., the U.K., Russia and China. A similarity between the two countries is that the country that lost got extremely angry. Another similarity between Kosovo and the Untied States is that they both won. That is why I think the Kosovar struggle for independence and the United States struggle for independence was both similar and different.

Andrew L said...

I agree with Maddy because there right next to each other and that can be very hard to do when one country is trying to get independence. I think Kosovo and Serbia will not co-exist peacefully because Serbia believes that the move is illegal, which will cause anger between each other and they could start a war. Even though Serbia some what accepts Kosovo's independence that doesn't mean that they will treat each other with respect. The Court of Justice voted 10-4 in favor of Kosovo. And Serbia did not like it one bit. Also Serbia refused to let Kosovo be independent which caused even more anger. Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed and said that "Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to future problems. That's why i think Kosovo and Serbia will not co-exist.

Sandra G said...

After reading the article and watching the video, it is unclear whether or not Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because even though Serbia gave into European and US pressure and dropped the challenge to Kosovo from being independent, Serbia still wanted the UN to prevent Kosovo from being independent. This could cause a conflict between the two countries. I think that the court will vote towards Kosovo being independent but not completely because different countries feel differently about it. Like Mrs. B said “Some will treat them independent and some will not.” Many countries, including the USA and the United Kingdom, support Kosovo on being independent, and many others, including Russia and China, support Serbia on not making Kosovo independent. So the United Nation General Assembly must decide what action to take.

Anonymous said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. This is because Serbia didn't like the idea of Kosovo becoming independent so why would they ever be able to co-exist peacefully? An example of when Serbia was against Kosovos move for independence was when Serbia said, that they still maintain Kosovos move illegal, and still apart of Serbia. I agree with Rachel when she said, "After years of conflict and a two-year war between the two, it makes the relationship even worse." Two years is a really long time to disagree about
something so there's no way they will be able to co-exist peacefully. Another reason I think this is because, Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic expressed disappointment and said that "Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to future problems." After him saying that, there probably will be future problems. Like, a war. That is why I think Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Anonymous said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. This is because Serbia didn't like the idea of Kosovo becoming independent so why would they ever be able to co-exist peacefully? An example of when Serbia was against Kosovos move for independence was when Serbia said, that they still maintain Kosovos move illegal, and still apart of Serbia. I agree with Rachel when she said, "After years of conflict and a two-year war between the two, it makes the relationship even worse." Two years is a really long time to disagree about
something so there's no way they will be able to co-exist peacefully. Another reason I think this is because, Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic expressed disappointment and said that "Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to future problems." After him saying that, there probably will be future problems. Like, a war. That is why I think Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Anonymous said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. This is because Serbia didn't like the idea of Kosovo becoming independent so why would they ever be able to co-exist peacefully? An example of when Serbia was against Kosovos move for independence was when Serbia said, that they still maintain Kosovos move illegal, and still apart of Serbia. I agree with Rachel when she said, "After years of conflict and a two-year war between the two, it makes the relationship even worse." Two years is a really long time to disagree about
something so there's no way they will be able to co-exist peacefully. Another reason I think this is because, Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic expressed disappointment and said that "Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to future problems." After him saying that, there probably will be future problems. Like, a war. That is why I think Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Mikey T. said...

Since Kosovo declared independence in 2008, Serbia has strongly believed this action was illegal to international law. But recently, Serbia dropped the UN challenge to Kosovo’s independence to clear the way for settlement talks between the countries’ leaders. It is unsure if the two countries stay peaceful. There is a 50/50 chance they will or will not keep peace. It is too early to tell the future between them. We can only wait to see if peace stays.
This is very similar to the United States’ struggle for independence. At first, Britain did not think the colonists could keep independence. Most countries didn’t except us as a country. We were fighting against the British. Then we were allies with Britain during WWI and WWII. The same could happen between Serbia and Kosovo.

Mikey T. said...

Since Kosovo declared independence in 2008, Serbia has strongly believed this action was illegal to international law. But recently, Serbia dropped the UN challenge to Kosovo’s independence to clear the way for settlement talks between the countries’ leaders. It is unsure if the two countries stay peaceful. There is a 50/50 chance they will or will not keep peace. It is too early to tell the future between them. We can only wait to see if peace stays.
This is very similar to the United States’ struggle for independence. At first, Britain did not think the colonists could keep independence. Most countries didn’t except us as a country. We were fighting against the British. Then we were allies with Britain during WWI and WWII. The same could happen between Serbia and Kosovo.

Jenna R said...

I agree with Luke and Laura. the video and article were unclear. It would talk about how Serbia's foreign minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed in the choices made to the point were they were having celebrations with fireworks. I personally don't think that Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because Serbia was never really into the idea of Kosovo being an independent country. Also Serbia believed that Kosovo's move for independence was illegal. Which makes it hard for them to cooperate and be able to live in peace.these are my opinions and facts on Serbia and Kosovo.

Nick G said...

I agree with a lot of people both the article and the video were really unclear. I think that they will be able to co-exist. I think this because they can’t go into a war because that would bring other countries into the problem. But we can’t tell what Serbia thinks of Kosovo's independence because we are not Serbia .U.S. Vice President Joe Biden told The President of Serbia that the USA fully supports the independence of Kosovo. The reason I think Serbia dropped charges is because they knew they weren't going to win. Kosovo's struggle for independence is similar to the U.S.A.’s struggle for independence because they both had to rise up and take action instead of having the bigger country push them around. I fully support Kosovo’s independence.

Nick A said...

After reading the article and watching the video, I don't think Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because, well first of all Serbia didn't want Kosovo to become independant in the first place. so how would they be able to co-exsist peacefully? Also the Serbians are very angry, because they believe that Kosovo's independence was ilegal and that Kosovo still remains part of Serbia. In the article, it said that Serbia’s Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed and said that Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to problems in the future. The Court of Justice voted 10-4 in favor of Kosovo, Serbia did not like this one bit. They have been fighting over the same thing for along time, its not going to be able to stop just like that. That is why i don't think Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully.

Alden C said...

I don’t think Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist. Serbia didn’t want Kosovo to be its own country; I highly doubt that they will be able to get along peacefully. I think this because for two years they have been fighting over this, and even when the International Court of Justice voted 4-10 that they should be independent Serbia still didn’t take that suggestion. Serbia seems very reluctant to give them their independence, and their Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic said that he thinks it will lead to problems in the future. Most Serbians believe that Kosovo’s move was illegal and is still a part of Serbia. Kosovo’s struggle for independence is similar to ours because we wanted to gain our independence, and we fought for our freedom, Kosovo is doing the same thing. Like Maddy I hope that Kosovo and Serbia will get along like we do with England, but I don’t think they can. One reason is because they are right next to each other. England and America are a whole ocean apart, but Kosovo and Serbia are right next door to each other. I think they might try to get along, but I think that they will not be able to. For example, Bosnia seceded from Serbia, and they are still fighting. I think the same will happen to Kosovo, because none of the Serbians seemed too happy about this change.

Joseph F. said...

I don’t think Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully because Serbia wants to be bigger and more powerful. Plus Serbia seceded from Kosovo after decades of conflict. Since they are getting people to back them up I think there is going to be conflict, Kosovo and the U.S.A. against Serbia and Russia. In the text it said that Serbia’s foreign minister Vuk Jeremik was disappointed so he might want to start a war. When Serbia said that it was illegal for Kosovo to get independence means they didn’t want it and might want to retaliate. The differences between the United States and Kosovos independence are that the United States went to war with England and Kosovo just went to court. Also the U.S. was on a whole different continent and Kosovo is right next to Serbia. I agree with Luke that the video was unclear. An example of this was the Serbian man, because I couldn’t understand what he was talking about. That is what I think about the independence of Kosovo.

Sarah C. said...

I’m really not sure if Serbia and Kosovo will coexist peacefully. America seceded from Britain, and now we are close allies. But we did have to go to war with them to gain our independence. America hasn’t really been fighting with Britain since then, but America and Britain are a whole ocean apart. Serbia and Kosovo are right next to each other. They could easily start and maintain a war. And Serbia wasn’t happy about them seceding, either. In fact, they went to court after the secession was proved legal. They wanted the court to hear witness to them. But Serbia might not act negatively against Kosovo. Joe Biden called the president of Serbia, Boris Tadic, to tell them that America fully supported Kosovo’s independence. If Serbia attacked Kosovo, we would probably send our troops to help fight Serbia off. If I were Serbia’s president, I don’t think it would be a good idea to try to fight America as well as Kosovo.

Clay F said...

I think Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to live peacefully, at least not for long. I say this because, like how Alden and Nick A. said, Serbia was trying to stop Kosovo’s attempt to break apart from them. Once they lost the struggle, Serbia must’ve been very angry and frustrated. They were also overpowered, and practically forced to give in, because as it said in the text, it was due to both European and American pressure. I think since they were forced give in, they really didn’t want Kosovo to be and independent country still, and they might try to regain the land, or do some kind of offensive act on Kosovo, mostly due to angry or bitter feelings. Kosovo will surely be trying to keep peace, and probably won’t try an attack of any kind. This is because, like it said in the text, Serbia let Kosovo to be independent, so Kosovo has no reason to have ill feelings about Serbia. I think they will be doing their best keep peace, and try to be kind neighbors. That is what I think will happen in the future with Kosovo and Serbia, and why.

Marcus F. said...

I think the European Union will mediate the communication between Serbia and Kosovo. I don’t think it will work because; the U.S and Russia will get involved in a disagreement. This is because before Kosovo was a country, the U.S sided with Kosovo and Russia sided with Serbia. This could lead to another Cold War. I think the United States will try to help Kosovo with its resources if Serbia tries to take over Kosovo again. This would be the best time to attack because the country does not have an army or a government. Serbia really needs to get Kosovo back. I say this because Alden stated that Serbia already lost Bosnia and Montenegro. If Serbia will lose Kosovo they soon will be weak and another country can overpower them easily.
I also think that this declaration of independence is similar to the United States. This is because one country wanted to get independence and the other didn’t. I agree with Mike T saying that Britain did not want to give us independence so we had to fight for it. That is what I think is going to happen to Kosovo and Serbia.

AlisaG said...

After reading the articles and watching the video, what I think will happen is Serbia will pretty much have no other choice but to try and co-exist peacefully with Kosovo. If not then Serbia will continue to be bothered by other countries such as the U.S. and European countries. For example, it says in the article that U.S. Vice President, Joe Biden had called the President of Serbia, Boris Tadic. He said that the U.S.A fully supports the independence of Kosovo. Since the Declaration of Independence, the United Kingdom also supports their move. If Serbia would continue to get in the way of Kosovo’s separation, I think other countries would look down on them and this would create problems for Serbia in the future. I don’t think that any country would want to handle the pressure. Another reason I think this will happen is because in the text it says that diplomats and officials were optimistic that there would be a co-operation between Kosovo and Serbia. It also said that Serbia seemed start to accept the fact that the separation was legal, even though they were not happy about it. Serbia has been trying for years to make prove the separation illegal, and after two years of failing to do so, I think they will realize they have no other choice but to try and co-operate. Another thing is that the two countries are next to each other so why would a country cause more problems with a country you’ll have to exist next to forever? I think Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully in the future, due to these reasons.
Kosovo’s independence is like the American declaration of independence. This is because both these countries want their freedom and independence from countries who didn’t want that. The two are different, as Alden said, because of location. Kosovo and Serbia are right next to each other. Therefore, I don’t think Serbia would want to start a war with their neighboring country, because that would lead into even more years of problems. Also I think Serbia would consider the fact that many strong countries are supporting Kosovo in this situation. But when America had gained independence from England, it was different because there is a whole ocean between the two countries. Even though Alden had a different take on that, I agree that location would cause the two to differ. This is how Kosovo’s independence from Serbia is different from America’s independence from England.

Kaitlyn Smith said...

I think that the concept of the question "Will Kosovo and Serbia be able to co-exist peacefully?" really means will they be able to stand each other.The answer to that question from my perspective would be yes. The reason why I believe yes is because Serbia will soon realize is that they have no evidence that Kosovo cant be an independent state. Their only main argument is that they(keyword they) feel that is is unacceptable for them to leave their union. The article already states that the Supreme Court of Justice find that Kosovo's independence was legal. Also the Court and many other states and countries world-wide considered Kosovo an independent country before the legal dispute.

The next question asks if Kosovo's struggle for independence is similar to or different from the United States' struggle for independence. For my answer it really relates to what Sarah C. said on how America fought for freedom with Britan but in the end when they won their individuality and parted their ways and now they are allies. So i feel that Serbia and Kosovo will do exactly that. Part their ways and come to a conclusion. Also its similar because America and Britian had a physical war. Meanwhile Kosovo and Serbia had a verbal conflict. Either way it was like they both related to each others fights with a dispute. I hope that Kosovo and Serbia's arguments will end in a peaceful way.

Liam K said...

I do think that Kosovo and Serbia will get along because Serbia had finally gave in to Kosovo and accepted that they had won this argument so I don't think that Serbia will bother Kosovo. I think that Serbia feels defeated about Kosovo's independence. I know this because in the article it states "Kosovo seceded from Serbia two years ago after decades of conflict." U.S. Vice President Joe Biden called the President of Serbia, Boris Tadic, and told him that the U.S. fully supported Kosovo's independence. Biden encouraged Serbia to work with Kosovo to solve the problem. He also talked about the friendships between the United States and Serbia. I think that Serbia gave in and dropped their challenge of Kosovo's independence because a war could have broke out at anytime. I know this because it said in the article "Serbia would have been in conflict with Europe had it pressed ahead." I don't think there will be much conflict between Serbia and Kosovo. I think they will be able to co-exist together peacefully with hopefully no wars or major problems.

Griffin Y said...

I think that Serbia and Kosovo will not co-exist peacefully. I think this because if the two areas haven't been able to live peacefully like with the war between Albanian-Kosovar people and Serbians, they won't settle their problems especially with Kosovo declaring independence in 2008. I also think this because more problems between the two places have occured. For example, Serbia called the move illegal and illegitimate but the UN disagreed. But now, Serbia is pushing the United Nations to re-investigate the move. I agree with Alden C. because even after the International Court of Justice voted 4-10 for Kosovo's independence, Serbia is still trying to convine that Kosovo should stay with Serbia. This will lead to more problems I think because this will make the process longer and make the two less and less patient because they will have to wait longer for the process to occur and maybe they will use violence to settle it faster. I truly think that this process will take much longer and think that Kosovo will come out winners and be independent.

Daniel G said...

After reading the article and watching the video. I think Serbia does not like Kosovo being independent. I know this because in the article it says that the Serbia president does not like Kosovo becoming country. I think He does not like this because of less land and power. He feels that the country should be united. He does not agree with the United States and United Kingdom that Kosovo are independent. Many countries have their own opinions as to whether they are independent or not. I believe that this is due to their political views rather than considering what the people want. Like Mrs. B said “Some will treat them independent and some will not.” I think that it is good that Kosovo is independent.

I think the struggles for independence are the same. Here in America the people wanted to be independent so that is why they fought for it. That is why I think the United States supports it. The difference is that Serbia and Kosovo are right next to each other. America and England are very far apart. It is probably more similar to the United States civil war where it was the north against the south.

Molly M. said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. This is because Serbia didn't like the idea of Kosovo becoming independent so why would they ever be able to co-exist peacefully? An example of when Serbia was against Kosovos move for independence was when Serbia said, that they still maintain Kosovos move illegal, and still apart of Serbia. I agree with Rachel when she said, "After years of conflict and a two-year war between the two, it makes the relationship even worse." Two years is a really long time to disagree about
something so there's no way they will be able to co-exist peacefully. Another reason I think this is because, Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic expressed disappointment and said that "Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to future problems." After him saying that, there probably will be future problems. Like, a war. That is why I think Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Kelsey J said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to get along peacefully. I think this because, in the article the court ruled Kosovo’s independence legal. Maddy Martin said that Serbia was willing to say that Kosovo’s independence is illegal then that is a clue about how the two countries feel. I agree with her in the article it said that Serbia did not want to give them independence because they thought it would pose problems in the future. I believe that Kosovo will be fine but Serbia will make it a problem. The article states that Serbia’s Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed and felt it was the wrong decision. I also think that it will be difficult for them to get along because I think Serbia will try to make agreements that will hurt Kosovo. In the article it says Serbia gave Kosovo their independence clearing the way for settlement talks between leaders. This sentence was somewhat confusing but I believe it means they are going to make agreements about government and society. If this is true I think Serbia will make it difficult for Kosovo. Finally I think it will become a problem for other countries making it difficult for Kosovo and Serbia. I think this because in the article it states some countries, such as the US, support Kosovo and their move for independence, and others, such as China, support Serbia. That is why I don’t think Kosovo and Serbia will get along peacefully.

Emma V. said...

After I had saw the video and read both articles about Kosovo’s independence, I thought the two places would not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think that will happen because, the video I watched showed that Serbia wasn’t going to recognize that Kosovo was now independent. Serbia was going to simply continue to rule over Kosovo. In the video it also mentioned that some of Serbia’s inhabitants were angry about Kosovo’s contract of independence, one of those people had even felt that Kosovo was the heart of Serbia. In the first article I read it said Serbia believed Kosovo’s move for independence was illegal and it still belongs to Serbia. Serbia also thinks that the decision for independence is wrong and will lead to more problems in the future. Even though the other article did say that Serbia allowed Kosovo to be independent, I still feel that Serbia is still unhappy with Kosovo’s declaration of independence. I think that it will also lead to major conflict in the future. That is why I think Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Ben L said...

After viewing the video and reading the article, I think it is unlikely that the people of Serbia and Kosovo can live together peacefully. The United Nations said that Kosovo’s Declaration of Independence was legal, but the Serbians didn’t recognize the UN’s non-binding decision. This seems very different from the United States Declaration of Independence from Great Britain. Firstly, the reason that the US declared independence was because they were being taxed without receiving any benefits. However, Kosovo’s reasons were ethnic, religious, and humanitarian. Secondly like Daniel G said, The US and Great Britain are separated by the Atlantic Ocean. Serbia and Kosovo are adjacent to each other. Even though recently the Serbian government accepted the independence of Kosovo, it may take years or generations for people to accept the independence.

Sebastian T. said...

Before Kosovo gained its independence, I thought that Serbia would eventually fold, but not so quickly. I thought this because even after the International Court of Justice ruled, on Thursday, that Kosovo's independence was legal, Serbian officials still argued that the secession was illegitimate. Yet, contrary to my assumptions, the Serbians did finally drop their accusations soon after the court ruling. I think that Serbia and Kosovo will co-exist peacefully because it is necessary. I think this because Russia is supporting Serbia, and the U.S. is supporting Kosovo. If either Serbia or Kosovo declared war, or took any military action against the other, both the U.S. and Russia would be pulled in to support their allies. In the end, the war could escalate exactly like World War I did. I think that the scare of another World War would subdue both countries into a peaceful co-existence. Rachel C. said, "Bringing other countries into the disagreement creates even more tension." I think that bringing more countries adds to urgency of not having another war in case of escalation. That is why I believe that Serbia will exist with Kosovo peacefully.

In my opinion, Kosovo's quest for independence was both similar and different to that of the United States'. For example, they are different because the U.S. wanted to break away from unfair laws and taxes, whereas Kosovo's reason to secede was based mainly on ethnic differences with the rest of Serbia. They are also different because Kosovo and Serbia solved their issues with diplomacy and a court case when they declared independence, while the U.S. and the United Kingdom/England fought when independence was declared. The secessions are similar because both countries were smaller areas that wanted to be independent of a larger and generally more powerful nation. Also, both the U.S. and Kosovo created a constitution to clarify the rights and duties of the people and the government in their new country.

Kimberly G said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia might be able to co-exist peacefully. The reason I say "might," is because Serbia opposed Kosovo's move for twos years, and only just now changed their mind. They might be nice each other at first, but then start realizing their differences, and start fighting because of religious reasons, political, etc.
The Kosovar struggle for independence was like America's in a couple of ways. We both declared independence from our "mother" countries. It tooks us a couple of years, like it did with the Kosovars. It also took fighting. Legal and violence. In ways it was different, I can only think of one right now. With England and America, we have a whole ocean between us! Kosovo and Serbia are right next door.

Kristine K said...

I think now that Kosovo is independent, they really aren’t going to feel that independent. The reason I say that is because Serbia thought that Kosovo’s Declaration of Independence was illegal. Serbia was forcing the UN (United Nations) to re-look at Kosovo’s Declaration even though the court found that it was legal. I don’t think that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist. I think that because many countries like US, Russia, and China are involved in this “war” and they could interfere with Kosovo and Serbia and will cause many problems. Sandra said it is unclear in the article if the two countries will be able to co-exist. I agree with her about that, the article said nothing about the countries getting along in any way. That’s why I think that Kosovo and Serbia won’t be able to co-exist.
Kososvo’s struggle for independence was a similar and different from ours. It was similar because they wrote a declaration of independence just like we did. Another reason it was similar was because the losing country, Serbia, got really upset over their loss. It was different because our struggle evolved into a war and Kosovo’s was “cleaner.” Another difference is our wish for independence came quickly after we signed our declaration of independence, my guess is that for Kosovo it isn’t going to be as easy as it was for us. Lastly, another difference is that many other countries got involved in Kososvo’s struggle for independence. In our struggle for independence it was just between us and England, other countries weren’t inter-fearing with our problems or taking sides. I know if I were Serbia or Kosovo I would not want other countries to be involved in our dilemmas with others. Those are the reasons why I think Kosovo’s and our struggle for independence was similar.

Katie K. said...

After reading the article and watching the video, I think that Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully because of their history of hatred towards each other. One reason that I believe they will not get along is because based on the movie many of the Serbs thought it was unlawful that Kosovo leave the heart Serbia. It may say in writing that Kosovo is independent from Serbia but the Serbs can have their own opinion whether it is independent or not. In the article it says, “ Serbia gave in to European and U.S. pressure today by dropping a challenge to Kosovo’s independence at the United Nations.” It seems that Serbia was fed up with Kosovo’s fight and just gave in. However, they may seek revenge later. Another reason I believe they will not live peacefully is because of how close they are to each other making it easy for one country to attack the other. With years of conflict and a two-year war behind them it will not surprise me if they do fight once again. As Rachel C. quoted, in the article, it says, “Since the declaration of independence, many countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, have recognized Kosovo as an independent state. Many other countries, such as Russia and China, have supported Serbia.” I agree with Rachel C. in that by involving more countries it will only make the relationship between the two countries even more of a problem. Also, other countries will “pick a side” to support, which will only put more pressure on the two countries to fight. Lastly, it says in the article “Serbia’s Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed. He said that Serbia thinks this decision is wrong and will lead to problems in the future. Serbia believes that Kosovo’s move for independence was illegal and that it remains a part of Serbia.” This shows how Serbia never wanted them to become independent but now that they are they defiantly won’t support them. This is why I believe that Kosovo and Serbia will not co –exist peacefully.

Luke W said...

I think that Kosovo will coexist peacefully with Serbia. The reason that I think this is because Kosovo before it was its own country it was once part of Serbia so if they go to war it will be like a brother killing a brother. That is why I think that they will coexist peacefully.
The struggle that Kosovo has with their independence is much like the struggle that we had trying to get our independence from Great Britain. They were very much alike because they both took a very long time. When we tried to gain our independence from Great Britain it took years, and after we finally gained independence it took many more years to become a successful country. Kosovo has been also fighting for years to gain independence from the Serbs. That is how I think their independence from Serbia is similar to ours.
So yes I do think that Serbia and Kosovo will coexist peacefully, and I do think their independence is very similar to ours.

Jake said...

I believe that Kosovo will gain their independence even though they already have. Serbia shouldn't be mad that Kosovo became an independent country. They should be proud because Kosovo is going out starting out on its own. Serbia and Kosovo will co-exist peacefully! If serbia and Kosovo get into a war that would mean Serbia would cause the war and thay should be very unhappy with themselves...(if anyone doesnt understand what Im saying please tell me to clarify. A state part of another country like Kosovo should be able to become their own independent country with out anyone giving them problems. Serbia should just keep their nose out of kosovos buisness and they should just be two independent countries. Kosovo is one country and Serbia is another and it should just stay at that and Serbia should just accept that Kosovo is an independent country know

RayC said...

1. I don’t really know what will happen with Kosovo’s independence. They may go great, or things can get ugly, like war declared. It all depends on how Kosovo makes of its new country. If they create some crazy laws that make the country unstable, then there might be a problem between countries surrounding them. I just hope that everything goes great and I think it will.
2. I think that Kosovo’s independence is different from the United States. I think it’s different because US had the whole Revolutionary War to get our independence, and Serbia gave up on trying to keep Kosovo part of Serbia. Even though Kosovo is already independent, there still could be some problems that could lead to violence.

RayC said...

1. I don’t really know what will happen with Kosovo’s independence. They may go great, or things can get ugly, like war declared. It all depends on how Kosovo makes of its new country. If they create some crazy laws that make the country unstable, then there might be a problem between countries surrounding them. I just hope that everything goes great and I think it will.
2. I think that Kosovo’s independence is different from the United States. I think it’s different because US had the whole Revolutionary War to get our independence, and Serbia gave up on trying to keep Kosovo part of Serbia. Even though Kosovo is already independent, there still could be some problems that could lead to violence.

Michael G said...

After reading the article and watching the video I think they will not be able to co-exist. I think this because the Serbs don't understand why they are trying to become independant. Kosovo was legally declared independant. The serbs did not want them to become free because they they thought it would become a problem in the future.The U.S.A. and Great Britain were with Kosovo Gaining independance. Although China, Russia, and even neighboring Albania supported Serbia. The Declaration of Independance is just like what Kosovo is doing trying to gain Independance from Serbia. I agree with Nick Andrews about Serbia believing that the independance of Kosovo was illegal and the Serbs believing that they are still part of Serbia. This is why I dont think they can co-exist together.

Niko F said...

I think Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this is because many other countries have tried this before and the country who has been trying to gain independence has always won, most of the time. Even the USA wanted independence from England and we’ve won it. But also many countries don’t have to win by war, some can declare it and the main country will allow it. So if so many other countries have gain independence why can’t Kosovo win it from Serbia? I agree with Alden on “ If they want to be their own nation they should be allowed.” That is why I think Kosovo and Serbia will be able to live peacefully.

Emily A said...

I think that the Kosovo struggle for independence is different from the United States struggle for independence. One reason why I believe this is because, like Rachel said, they are in different eras that had different rights and duties. Serbia and Kosovo seemed more mature about the whole idea of the Court Of Justice deciding if Kosovo could become independent. Another difference between the two countries fight for independence is that, unlike the Kosovo, the United States had to fight its battle alone. In Serbia, many countries were giving their intake on the situation. The last reason they are different is because the United States wanted to break away from unjust laws and unnecessary taxes. Serbia and Kosovo’s problems where mainly about ethnic differences. That is why I think Kosovo's and the Unided State's indipendences where different.

Brian D. said...

I think that Kosovo will gain their independence because the International Court of Justice ruled the attempt legal. I also think this because many countries, like the U.S.A. and the United Kingdom support Kosovo’s independence. It might not happen, however, because Serbia declared that the attempt was illegal (which I disagree with) and demanded that the court review the case. It also might not happen because many powerful countries, like Russia and China, are backing Serbia’s decision. If this disagreement got out of hand, a war might start, and NOBODY wants that to happen. Serbia thinks that this issue will cause problems in the future. I don’t agree with this statement because it will add another economy to the world, which will contribute to the world economy. Kosovo also will have natural resources and chief exports to contribute to the world. Other countries will buy these products, and the economy will get better. Because of this, I think that Kosovo’s independence will help the world in those 2 ways.

Dallas said...

I do not believe that Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist. I think this way because Serbia originally was fighting against Kosovo’s independence. However, now that I think about it, Serbia is also the one who dropped the challenge against Kosovo’s independence. By doing so Serbia allowed Kosovo to become independent. Knowing this, it is hard to determine whether or not Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist. It really all depends on the people. Some people are all for the independence and others want to stay with Serbia and believe it was wrong for Serbia to allow Kosovo to break off. But I still believe in my original statement that they will most likely not be able to co-exist. These are just a few of the reasons why I am still a bit unsure of whether or not Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist. As for Kosovo’s struggle for independence, it is similar to our own struggle because we were both fighting for independence. However it is different because Kosovo and Serbia are connected, and the US and Brittan were on separate lands. These are just a few of the similarities and differences between Kosovo’s fight for independence and our own.

Laura V. said...

I do think Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist. Although judging by their past; I do not think it will be a peaceful or happy relationship. In 1999 Serbia lost control of Kosovo and was never able to regain peace between each other. And in 2008 Kosovo created their Declaration of Independence, but Serbia refused to recognize it as its own country. I believe that’s totally is unfair because if Serbia can’t keep control of Kosovo why can’t they be independent? But on Thursday, September 9, 2010 Serbia decided to drop the challenges against Kosovo because of the pressure that was put on by the International League of Nations. I think that they can’t live peacefully because Serbia did drop the challenges; but as I said before Serbia lost control of Kosovo over a decade ago and never restored balance; so there would always be some tension between the two nations. That is why I don’t think Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exist happily or peacefully.

dylanm said...

I do not think that Serbia and Kosovo will ever co-exist peacefully. I think there will always be hard feelings about Kosovo’s independence no matter what. I also think Serbia will eventually try to regain Kosovo back by saying, that Kosovo’s independence is illegitimate. I know they will stop fighting, but not necessarily stop being angry at each other. I do not agree with Kimberly. She said that the Serbians ceased arguing about the illegitimacy. I agree with that statement, however, I personally think Serbia only stopped so the Europeans and Americans would stop pressuring them. I think once the Americans and Europeans stop pressuring Serbia to resolve the dispute, Serbia will start trying to get Kosovo back. That is why I think Serbia and Kosovo will never peacefully co-exist.

Keyshawn H. said...

After reading the article about Kosovo's struggle for independence,I concluded that they will never gain their independence. However, a day later they did. Serbia finally dropped the challenge. Kosovo leaped for joy, freedom at last. They won the battle but I don't think the war is over. In my opinion, Kosovo and Serbia will never be able to co-exist peacefully. Reason being, Serbia was forced to drop the challenge. They were being cornered by the most powerful countries in the world, U.S.A. and England. I wouldn't be surprised if a war arose later, however, I hope this will not happen. Hopefully, some way, some how, they will learn to get along. After all, why cant we all get along?

Ana M said...

After watching the video and reading the article i don't think that Kosovo and Serbia will be able to live peacefully, because of all the problems it could create. Serbia did say that it will cause problems in the future, But the main reason that kosovo's wanted to be its own country in the first place was because of different religions, Also they won't be known as one country anymore. they'll be separated. Kosovo and Serbia might be able to co-exist. The reason why i think this is because, Serbia right now has some kind of fury with Kosovo but over time they will start realizing their differences and realize that it was a good idea to separate the country.

Anonymous said...

Emma T.said...
After reading the article and watching the video I believe that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because in the article it calms that Serbia and Kosovo already have had conflict in passed. This resulted in Kosovo’s claim in independence. I also think Serbia will have problems because if they were ok with Kosovo’s claim in independence then Serbia would have never brought Kosovo to court. I also found in the article that “Serbia wanted the UN to prevent Kosovo from being independent.” So I think Serbia is very unhappy with Kosovo winning independence.
I have to say I disagree with Jake and Liam, because how can two countries co-exist with each other if they can not agree with each other? I do agree with Maddy and Kelsey because Serbia may never be able to agree with Kosovo’s decisions and laws, but who knows maybe Serbia will change (doubtfully).

Robert M. said...

I do not think that Kosovo and Serbia will co-exist peacefully. i say this because since the two countries just got out of the war, old hates, fears, and revenge still remains in the air. As the Serbs say," Serbia will never under any circumstances recognize the independence of Kosovo.". Sandra said it is unclear in the article if the two countries will be able to co-exist. I agree with her about that, the article said nothing about the countries getting along in any way. i agree with Kristin, that Kososvo’s struggle for independence was a similar and different from ours. It was similar because they wrote a declaration of independence just like we did. i think they are different then us because they wanted to break away from taxes. Unlike the U.S., Kosovo wanted to split away from Serbia for ethnic differences. Unlike the U.S. who fought for their independence, Kosovo and Serbia took it to politics and laws to settle their issues.

Sarah S. said...

I believe that Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because Serbia will always be in conflict with Kosovo’s decision about being independent. Serbia wanted the UN to re-examine Kosovo’s Declaration of Independence because the Serbians said that the Declaration was illegal. Also Serbia has been involved other countries in this “war” like Russia and China. Serbia wants Russia to “back them up” on this situation. I think this because in the article titled, “Kosovo’s Independence is Legal, Court Finds,” Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic said that Serbia thinks the decision was wrong and will lead to bigger problems in the future. Serbia will think of Kosovo as still part of Serbia. To me this means that Serbia will never let the issue of Kosovo’s Independence go because of how strongly the citizens feel.
On September 9th, 2010 Serbia gave in to Kosovo‘s fight for independence. In the article titled, “Serbia drops UN challenge to Kosovo’s independence,” it says that Serbia has to “acknowledge” the court’s ruling. Another statement in the article it says that Kosovo’s leadership will also be keen to involve the Americans, which will make the Serbians encourage Russian involvement.
I agree with Katie K. as she said, “Other countries will “pick a side” to support, which will only put more pressure on the two countries to fight.” I agree with this because the article, “Serbia drops UN challenge to Kosovo independence”, said that the Americans were agreeing with Serbia in their fight for independence and that Russia and China were “siding” with Serbia. This is why I believe that Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Marin K said...

After watching this video and reading the article I do think that Kosovo will gain independence from Serbia. Like Alden said, a few countries such as Bosnia and Montenegro have already gained their independence. Also, most of the population of Kosovo have wanted and stated that they would like their freedom, and after all the support from other countries like the U.S., Great Britain, and even support from the UN , and the fact that the leaving from Serbia is not illegal, I believe this is highly possible. Kosovo has been seceded from Serbia for two years and now it can only get worse, the Court of Justice did vote 10-4 about whether Kosovo should make their own country. The Serbians are still highly against the independence but after the fighting and all, they may be willing to finally let go of Kosovo. If Kosovo does gain independence I think they can co-exist peacefully, somewhat. There are still some people living in Kosovo wanting to stay with Serbia, but will remain where they are if the separation is made. Knowing this, I don’t think that countries are really that different. After letting go, the two countries might actually be able to settle down more and get along, although there probably will still be some conflict between the two. If we Americans can gain independence from England, then I think Kosovo can too. It took us many years to gain our independence. There was tons of fighting and deaths, not all Americans wanted to be independent, but most were, and everyone was not happy with the taxes England made us pay. The soon to be two different countries had many differences. In these ways, I believe the two countries, U.S. and Kosovo, are pretty alike.

Elise B said...

I do not think Kosovo and Serbia will co-exist peacefully. I think this because when Kosovo declared independence from Serbia, the Serbians got very angry. They declared this illegal, and asked the international court of justice to decide what would happen. When the majority of the court voted that it was not illegal, the people of Serbia were angered, as shown in the video. In the video, representatives of Serbia stated that “They would never treat Kosovo as an independent country.” Then, they showed a Serbian person as well. He said that Kosovo has been called the heartland of Serbia, and it is not fair to the rest of the country. Another reason I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not keep the peace is that they have been fighting since 1998, when Serbia lost control of Kosovo. They even fought a war that lasted for two years. There has been tension between them for awhile, and I think it will begin to show. As Katie K said, the pressure is building for them to fight by other countries picking sides. Also, Kosovo was an autonomous province before declaring independence, and I think that this led to declaring independence. Serbia, however, wants Kosovo back, and I understand that. The people of Serbia agree. I wonder if the people of Kosovo will be willing to start another war for their independence. If they are, which I think they most likely will be, it will certainly not be peaceful! The last reason that I think that they will not co-exist in peace is that they are so close. If there is trouble, each country has easy access to the other. All these reasons support the fact that I think Kosovo and Serbia will not co-exist peacefully.

Emma F. said...

Student name: Emma Rae Filgate
Date due: 9/19/10





I agree with Rachel, I think that it will be very hard for Serbia and Kosovo to co-exist peacefully. Even though Serbia has given in and let Kosovo be independent I think people will still fight and be angry at this ruling. In the article, Kosovo’s independence is legal, court finds Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic said, “Serbia thinks the decision is wrong and will lead to problems in the future.” U.S Vice President, Joe Biden called the president of Serbia to tell him to work it out with Kosovo. This could have made Serbia angrier in my opinion. In the video one of their Serbian people being interviewed said it was completely wrong that Kosovo was trying to gain independence, because it was a part of Serbia. This could mean that some of the people in Serbia are mad about the split. That could also be true with some of the citizens in Kosovo. I think it will be hard for Serbia and Kosovo to co-exist peacefully.

Andrew G said... said...

I think that the video didn’t really make much sense to me. But the article did, I’m not too sure if Kosovo and Serbia will be able to get along because, in the article it states that on Thursday the court decision was not final. It was more of just a suggestion. Like what Joseph stated in the text it states that Serbia’s foreign minister Vuk Jeremik was disappointed about the independence, and that he might want to start a war. What Joe Biden stated in the text was that he told Tadic that USA fully supports the independence of Kosovo. Also urged Serbia to work with Kosovo to fix the problem. I think that they might want to consider to try to get along with each other in the future.

Courtney D said...

After watching the video on Kosovo’s independents and reading the article it is unsure if Kosovo and Serbia will co-exist peacefully. The article states that Serbia gave in to the US and European pressure. This means that they are going to drop the challenge of Kosovo’s independence. This will clear the way so that the leaders of Kosovo and Serbia may talk. President Boris Tadic was supposed to announce the change before the UN general assembly was due to debate the issue. Serbia would have been in an argument with Europe if they had still been fighting. Diplomats and officials were confused if they would co-exist and live together without fighting. Serbia had been in this conflict for 2 year. In July Serbia had lost a case at the International Court of Justice. Until this day Serbia had wanted the UN to re-investigate the legality of Kosovo’s Declaration of Independence. In past weeks British and German diplomats had been pushing the country to either ditch or agree to the new plan backed by the EU. So in my option I don’t know if Serbia and Kosovo will co-exist peacefully.

Brendan D. said...

After reading the article and watching the video, it was clear that Serbia and Kosovo wouldn’t be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because in the video Kosovo thinks that becoming independent will be great for Europe but Serbia says that Kosovo’s declaration of independence should not be allowed. Also because they thought Kosovo was the heart of Serbia and wasn’t fair for the people. I also don’t think that Serbia and Kosovo will get along because of religious differences, because maybe Kosovo doesn’t believe in Serbia’s religions and beliefs. Another reason is in the article it said that Belgrade (Serbia’s capital) had hoped for a "peaceful compromise solution" that did not create make things worse elsewhere in the world. The Court of Justice voted 10-4 in favor of Kosovo. And Serbia did not like it one bit. I agree with Nick A. because he said that “the Serbians are very angry”, he said this because they believe that Kosovo’s independence was illegal and that Kosovo still remains part of Serbia. I agree with Nick because this is another reason why Serbia and Kosovo will not co-exist. That is why I don’t think Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully.

Logan R said...

After reading the article and watching the video, I do not think that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully. One reason is because in the video, the narrator said that there was a two year war between the two countries. This means that the two nations already have had disagreements that have resulted in recent violence. So far neither side has made an attempt to make peace with the other. Like Elise said “the Serbians got very angry when Kosovo declared independence”. This anger from the Serbs towards the people of Kosovo could result in more violence, which could start another war. Another reason that Serbia could fight to get Kosovo back is because they have already lost states other than Kosovo. This could make them want to fight because if other states see that these states have declared independence, they could declare independence as well. If this happens most of Serbia’s power and wealth would most likely be lost. That is why I do not think Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Zack C said...

I agree with Andrew and Maddy the countries are close and it is not easy to separate when that close. It would be easier if they were like Hawaii and the U.S far away from each other. This way they would be less tempted to start a war. They will not co-exist peacefully Serbia may have given in to presser from the U.S. and Europe they don’t want Kosovo to become independent. I know this because they were fighting for two years why would they just change their mind about the independence. Also not all countries support one country the other countries support different sides of the independence conflict. I agree with Joseph the video and article was not very clear. An example of this would be they only interviewed one regular person that is not enough to make a good decision on. This is why I don’t think Kosovo will co-exist peacefully with Serbia.

Ryan B said...

I believe that Kosovo’s relationship with Serbia will not last. Eventually, since Serbia lost most of its country already, they will end up fighting. I think Kosovo will remain independent with support from the United States and the United nations, because both had approved of the idea of Kosovo’s independence. But I don’t believe any shots will be fired on either side, it will end up being a word battle with some harsh statements involved. But Serbia knows that if they do attack almost all of Europe and the United States will be fighting against them, it would be an easy defeat for the UN and US. But I do agree with Rachel and Emma with the fact of the two countries not existing peacefully. Hopefully in the future, they will end up allies and begin trade. This would bring the chaos and fighting between cultures down. If all ends well Kosovo will most likely prosper and grow as a large community.

James Kish said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will be at agreements for a couple years then one of them will slip up and there will be arguments and possible some fighting. I believe this because in the video one person was interviewed and said, “That Kosovo was the heart of Serbia and that is was just not right.” The other thing that might happen is that in the future other countries will side with either side with Kosovo or Serbia. I believe this will happen because as it said in the article “Many other countries such Russia and China support Serbia’s reasons and the United States and United Kingdom side with Kosovo’s reasons on why they want independents.”

MarisaP said...

After reading both articles, and watching the video, I think Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because Serbia and Kosovo have been having problems for decades. In 1998, the Serbian military and the Kosovar people went to war. 1,500 Albanians were killed and 400,000 had to evacuate thier homes. In 2008, Kosovo declared thier independance. But Serbia was unhappy and called the declaration illigal. Also, not all countries agree that Kosovo's declaration is legal. Therefore, not all countries will treat Kosovo independantly from Serbia.
As Far as co-existing peacefully, I don't think it will happen. This conflict has killed thousands of innocent people, and made thousands homeless. I doubt Kosovo and Serbia can forgive, forget, and move on. As Katie and Rachel pointed out, after years of conflict, and a two year war between Serbia and Kosovo, the relatiship between the two is worse than ever. I definately think that co- existing peacefully is nearly impossible.

KateM said...

After reading the articles and watching the video, I think that Kosovar and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. First of all, Serbia and Kosovar have been fighting and having issues for decades, and this was due to differences in culture, ethnicity, and past war. Because of the unresolved tension that this fighting caused, I don't think these two countries will be able to co-exist peacefully together, although I doubt that they will break out into war with each other. I think this because, Serbia was strongly against Kosovar's independence in the beginning, but they have just recently agreed to accept it. Although they say they accept the independence, I highly doubt they are ready to move on and see Kosovar as independent. Some other countries also don't see Kosovar is independent yet, and this could cause problems later on. As Katie and Marisa have said, the relationship is in one of its worst ever between the two countries because of all the past fighting and people that have been hurt by it. This is why I think Kosovar and Serbia will not be able to ever fully co-exist peacefully.

Jessica G-S. said...

I believe that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist, but it might not always be peacefully. There still seems to be tension between the two nations, even after Serbia dropped the challenges, due to many years of conflict. Although Serbia said they will, "Acknowledge and welcome the readiness of the EU to facilitate a process of dialogue between the two parties [Serbia and Kosovo]," it is still questioning the legality of Kosovo's secession. i believe that the only real reason Serbia dropped the challenges was because it was urged by British and German diplomats to do so. I do not believe that Serbia will be willing to let go of it's hostility towards Kosovo just yet. I think that there may still be some slight conflict in years to come. This is why i am skeptical about Kosovo and Serbia's ability to co-exist peacefully.

Jessica G-S. said...

I believe that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist, but it might not always be peacefully. There still seems to be tension between the two nations, even after Serbia dropped the challenges, due to many years of conflict. Although Serbia said they will, "Acknowledge and welcome the readiness of the EU to facilitate a process of dialogue between the two parties [Serbia and Kosovo]," it is still questioning the legality of Kosovo's secession. It appears that the only real reason Serbia dropped the challenges was because it was urged by British and German diplomats to do so. I do not believe that Serbia will be willing to let go of it's hostility towards Kosovo just yet. I think that there may still be some slight conflict in years to come. This is why I am skeptical about Kosovo and Serbia's ability to co-exist peacefully.

Olivia S said...

fter reading the article and watching the video I believe Kosovo and Serbia will not be able co-exist peacefully. This is because we Serbia got upset when Kosovo declared independence. They even said it was illegal for them to separate from Serbia and made the international court of justice get involved and it was eventually ruled that it was legal for Kosovo to become its own country. Another reason I think they will not be able to exist peacefully is because Kosovo and Serbia had been in a war for two years and there was allot of tension and anger between the two already. One more reason I think they will not be able to co exist I because there so close in location. They could easily get in to another war over independence and it would probably take a while to stop and there would probably be devastating affects.

Brian M. said...

After watching the video, and reading the articlesI agree with what James said ",I think that Kosovo and Serbia will be at agreements for a couple years then one of them will slip up and there will be arguments and possible some fighting." I do think they will get along nicely for a while because Serbia will bottle up their anger for 5 to 10 years. Next I think they will go with their original feelings of having Kosovo a part of their country.And then, I think they will try to make Kosovo legally part of Serbia again. I think this because in the video a man said "It is injustice, Kosovo is the heart of Serbia". If many Serbians think like that, there is no way Kosovo will stay an independent country. But i also question my own thinking listening to the man saying it is great for Kosovo to have independence. I do think if Kosovo and Serbia have an arguement, Serbia will out number them and win the arguement.

Olivia O. said...

After reading the article and watching the video on Kosovo's independence, I don't think that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully. Serbia was always opposed to the idea of an independent Kosovo and will never be able to fully accept Kosovo as an independent country. I think there are many things that contribute to Serbia and Kosovo's difficult relationship. One thing that I believe will make it harder for Kosovo and Serbia to co-exist is Serbia's previous thoughts on Kosovo's secession. In the video, a representative of Serbia said, "Serbia will never, under no circumstances, recognize the independence of the so-called Republic of Kosovo. Our position is not going to change and I am confident that the opinions of all the major players are not going to change either." I think that what Serbia meant by this was that even if the court has pronounced Kosovo an independent country, Serbs will stick to what they have believed from the beginning. Kosovo and Serbia fought a war for two long years over whether or not Kosovo's secession was illegal, and even when the Court of Representatives voted 4-10 in favor of Kosovo, Serbia still believed that they were right and Kosovo's secession was illegal. This shows that if Serbia felt this way before, they will probably not support Kosovo now that they are an independent country. Last, as Katie K. and Rachel C. quoted, in the article it says, "Since the declaration of independence, many countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, have recognized Kosovo as an independent state. Many other countries including Russia and China, have supported Serbia." I agree with Rachel C. and Katie K. in that since many more countries are involved now, Serbia and Kosovo's relationship can only get worse. I think that since the other countries have already chosen which country they will support and fight with in a war, both Serbia and Kosovo feel stronger now and will just have more of a reason to fight. These are the reasons why I believe that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully.

Annamarie O said...

I feel that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because in the text it said that Serbia had given into the pressure from Europe and the U.S. This means that Serbia didn’t actually want Kosovo to become independent… they were just forced into it. Another reason to why I think this is because in the text it said that Serbia had been working with the UN to prevent Kosovo from being independent. This means that Serbia was against Kosovo the whole time but needed some support from the UN so that they could get some allies. Kosovo had difficulties with getting Serbia to allow them to become independent. But in the end international court of justice found that Serbia was wrong about accusing Kosovo for breaking the law of being independent. When the U.S. wanted to become independent they had to go to war which is now known as the civil war.

Mike N. said...

I do not think that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully. I think they will remain mortal enemies for a long time. I agree with Clay that Serbia will never want to let Kosovo be an independent country. They are used to them being one country. For a long time, it’s been like that. Also, I agree with Alisa when she said that “Serbia will continue to be bothered by other countries such as the United States and European Union countries“. I think this is why they will try to accept the decision just so that no other countries will get mad and want to start a war with them. I hope that maybe in one hundred years, they could co-exist peacefully and be friends but I don’t think it will happen anytime sooner than that.

I think that the Kosovar struggle is similar to the U.S. struggle for independence because both countries want to be independent and free to make their own laws and be any religion they want to. I think the Kosovar struggle is different from the U.S. struggle for independence because like Andrew said they are right next to each other, neighbors that border each other and the U.S. wasn’t, it was far away from England.

Chelsea O said...

After reading the article and watching the video, I do not think that Serbia and Kosovo will be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because Serbia never agreed to the fact that Kosovo wanted to have it's own Independence. Even though Serbia gave in, I still don't think they will co-exist peacefully because Serbia probably doesn't like the fact that they now have independence. Also, Serbia and Kosovo are not at their best, they were in war for two years. As Olivia S. said "there was a lot of tension and anger between the two already from war" I agree with this statement because there was a lot of tension between the two countries, that could drive anger towards each other. Also in the article it stated "" Serbia believes that Kosovos move for independence was illegal an that it remains a part of Serbia." So basically, Kosovo had to be a part of Serbia, which i'm sure Kosovo was upset over. They have wedges driven between each other. So, this is why I don't think Kosovo and Serbia will be able to co-exsist peacefully.

JimH said...

I do not that Kosovo and Serbia will be able to exist completely without occasional fighting and political conflicts, but I doubt that it will erupt into all out war. The reason it would be unlikely and unwise for either party to declare war is because of the attention the conflict is getting from the international community. If Serbia was to declare war on Kosovo the pressure from the EU, UN, and major countries may crack and result in them coming to Kosovo’s aid and taking down Serbia just to keep peace. However, if Kosovo was the aggressor and attacked Serbia in open warfare, it might cause the other countries that supported Kosovo’s secession to lose sympathy, and cut off support to the country. Then Kosovo would most likely lose due to possible Russian help and lack of resources for the already inferior Kosovo army. The reason I believe there will a degree of conflict between the two counties is because as KateM said …[Kosovo and Serbia have been] having issues for decades do to differences in culture, ethnicity, and past war.” These differences will, I think, result in future disagreements between the two countries because people will not learn to accept and forgive these differences that have torn them apart, immediately. An example of people not accepting new ideas such as an independent Kosovo is the time period when America was segregated. Just because the Union won the civil war did not cause many Americans to treat African-American in an appropriate manner. Serbian sympathizers may still attack those who declare themselves openly Kosovan, but these attacks, if at all, will probably be in small numbers. One of these attacks happened in an ethnically divided town in Kosovo where, when a Turkish basketball team beat a Serbian one, the locals from either side of the town started a violent fight, in which many were injured.
-JIM <(*)

Eddie O said...

After seeing the video and reading the article I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not co-exist that peacefully. For example Serbia did not want Kosovo to gain independence so I think that they may have little or many conflicts. Chelsea O said: "Serbia believes that Kosovos move for independence was illegal and that it remains a part of Serbia." I think that the independence of Kosovo was similar and different to our independence because it did not happen right away. They are different because like Andrew L said they are neighbors, unlike the US and Britian, it wasn't far away.
I think that if Kosovo and Serbia do get along that they will have some conflict because Serbia didn not actually want Kosovo to become independant. I think Kosovo and Serbia will have some struggles for some years and after that they might be neutral with each other.
After reading the article it was pretty clear that Serbia and Kosovo wont get along, I think this because in the video Kosovo thinks becoming independent should be aloud and Serbia think that they should not allow Kosovo to become independent.

Leanne M said...

I think that Kosovo and Serbia will not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because the US were on the same side as Kosovo, saying that they can become independent. But Serbia declared that becoming independent was illegal. Kosovo and Serbia had been having conflict for decades. The International Court of Justice ruled that Kosovo's declaration of independence was legal. Just because the court ruled for Kosovo, doesn't mean that Kosovo and Serbia will get along. The people of Kosovo have wanted to separate for years. It will take time for Kosovo and Serbia to get along and agree if they ever do. You can't make people feel a different way.

Christian S said...

I don’t think Kosovo and Serbia will get along because of the previous argument between the two. Serbia was pushing the United Nations to re-investigate the legality of the independence of Kosovo. Serbia wouldn’t have challenged Kosovo’s independence if they didn’t care and wanted to get along peacefully. Serbia’s foreign minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed. He said it himself that he thinks Kosovo’s decision is wrong and will lead to problems in the future. Even the people of Serbia were not happy because many thought that Kosovo was the heart of Serbia. Kosovo may struggle with other countries that have mixed emotions about the move for independence. Their relations may be good like with the U.S and U.K, or bad with countries like Russia and China. Serbia is always going to regret dropping the argument for Kosovo’s independence. They will have conflict in the future; Serbia may try to regain control over Kosovo.

Sam K said...

I do not think that Serbia and Kosovo will co-exist peacefully because already, throughout history they have had their problems and flaws and continue to have them. For example, just a little while ago violence broke out in Kosovo because the people of Kosovo were happy that Serbia had lost against Turkey in an important basketball game and some people were injured. Even though there are many conflicts between them, I don’t believe it should result in a war, but I do believe it is possible. Like Katie K., Rachel C., and Olivia O. stated, that larger nations around the world such as the United States and China, notice Kosovo as its own independent state, so some side Serbia while others side Kosovo. If worst came to worst and Kosovo went to war with Serbia, it might become a war with nations getting involved causing the whole world to become part of a war for independence for a small state in Serbia. Although that is highly unlikely to happen, it’s still a possibility. I believe it’s a possibility because when our nation gained independence from England, we had to fight for it to get it. After our independence, when people hear that someone gained independence, usually the first thing that comes to their mind is that they fought for it and won. This appears to be true because of the United States becoming independent through the war of American Revolution. Also Serbia and Kosovo had a war just some time ago so I think Serbia and Kosovo have many differences that will lead to worse conflict in the future.

casey w said...

I think that Serbia and Kosovo will not be able to co-exist peacefully. I think this because the US and Kosovo were both saying that Kosovo can become independent. Also there have been conflicts for decades. Another reason why I think they won’t get along is because Serbia was pressured into letting Kosovo being their own country. And Serbia was pushing the EU to reinvestigate the legality of the DOI. So Serbia didn’t want Kosovo be their own country for some reason. The reason they won’t get along is because they are located right next to each other witch can cause some tension. That is why I think they won’t get along.

Anonymous said...

I think that Serbia and Kosovo will not co-exist peacefully, the reason why is because Serbia was trying not to have Kosovo an independent country. International Court of Justice ruled that Kosovo’s declaration of independence was legal. Even though Kosovo is its own country now that does not mean that Serbia is going to get along with Kosovo. I think that Serbia gave in to the challenge because they have more problems than fighting with people that want to have their own country so they can have independence. Eventually I think that they will stop fighting about it and just mind their own business and let Kosovo be their own country.

cory m said...

After reading the artical and watching the vido i think Serbia and Kosovo will get along. Serbia did not want Kosovo to gain independence. Serbia was getting presure from contries to allow Kosovos independence. U.S vice president Joe Biden called the president of Serbia. He told the president of Serbia the U.S fully suports the independence of kosovo. Overall i think serbia and kosovo will get along because kosovo has contries to suport them.

Skylar S. said...

I have to agree with Jim H. about whether Serbia and Kosovo will live peacefully together. I agree that Kosovo and Serbia will not live in peace without Kosovo and Serbia will not live in peace without occasional fighting and political conflict, but with no war in the near future. In the article, it said that Serbia’s Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic was disappointed and said that, “Serbia thinks that the decision was wrong and will lead will problems in the future.”Also Serbia did not give in to Kosovo willingly; it was more of the pressure that was being pushed on Serbia to give in from the E.U and the U.N. I think that Kosovar’s independence was very similar to the United States’. I say this because when we were trying to break free from England, it took us not only a few years, but we also declared our independence from England before we started really retaliating. As for Kosovar, they spent two years debating and protesting against Serbia. When they made their declaration of independence, this was what caused the two year debate; they were turned down by Serbia like we were by England. Even though the U.N voted and announced that it was a legal document. The U.N also stated that Kosovo’s independence was legal and allowed. This is what I think about the “Kosovo event.”

Maisie W. said...

I definitely don’t think Kosovo and Serbia will co-exist peacefully. When Kosovo declared independence from Serbia, the Serbians got very angry. They declared that illegal, and asked the international court of justice to decide what would happen. When most of the court voted that it was legal, the people of Serbia were even more angry, because they wanted to keep Kosovo a part of their country. Another reason I think this is that Kosovo and Serbia have been fighting since 1998, when Serbia first lost control over Kosovo. They fought a war back then, and the conflict still hasn’t been resolved, so I think they’ll fight again. There has been tension between them for a long time now, more than 10 years, and I think that Serbia might possibly declare war on Kosovo to add them back as part of their country. The last reason that I think that they will not co-exist in peace is that they are right next to each other. If there is a large amount of trouble at one time, each country can easily cross the border. All these reasons support the fact that I think Kosovo and Serbia will not co-exist peacefully.