Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Pledge of Allegiance

Read the "Pledge of Allegiance" section of your student handbook, starting on page 13. Then, read this short history of the Pledge: http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

I encourage you also to read the Wikipedia entry for the Pledge (as you do, remember that Wikipedia is often poorly written and can be edited by anyone, but at least one study, by Jim Giles published in Nature in 2005, has found that Wikipedia is very close to traditional encyclopedias in accuracy).

Then, answer the following questions:
  • Should students be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in school? Explain.
  • If a student is given the choice to say the Pledge or not, should he or she choose to do so? Explain.

74 comments:

Luke :D said...

That is what I think of this matter. You should say the pledge, but should not be forced to.

I think that standing and doing the pledge of allegiance is respectful but shouldn’t be mandatory. In the United States Constitution the people have freedom, and are not forced to do things. In my opinion it is slightly disrespectful to not pledge allegiance to the United States flag but it is their rights and their freedom.

If I were in the students place I would definitely say the pledge. I wouldn’t want to show disrespect to the people who worked so hard to make us free and to make this a fair country, for us.

Nick G said...

I agree with Luke in which people should not be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiances. Because people may not believe in god so it really may just be matter of religion. But in the handbook it says that it’s required for a student to say the pledge. I feel that it would be respectful to say the pledge because it shows respect for the country in which you live, the government, the flag, and the people that have lost their lives protecting this country.

Emma V. said...

1. No, I don’t think students should have to say the Pledge of Allegiance during school. I feel that way because some of the students may believe in someone other than god and they might not agree with it. By saying the pledge it can also waste a large amount of class time. Even though it may only be thirty seconds each day, it can add up to about thirteen hours by eighth grade. Imagine everything that students could have done during that time. So, students should not have to say the pledge if they don’t want to.

2. If a student is given the choice to say the pledge I think they should. It is important to say because it is a way of showing respect for the men and women that fought to get us where we are today. The pledge also means that we care about our country and we’ll be loyal to it. That is why students should say the pledge if they are given the option to.

Laura V said...

I think that students should say the Pledge of Allegiance. But I don’t think they should be forced to. I do think it’s respectful and polite to say the Pledge of Allegiance but if you don’t mean it you really shouldn’t say it. That would be so much MORE disrespectful than not saying the Pledge at all. Now as a student I say the Pledge every day and I mean it with all my heart but if you’re not going to mean it I don’t think you should say it. But, I still believe should say the Pledge because you’re pretty much saying you are loyal to your country and wouldn’t do anything to hurt it. Also you’re respecting those who have fought for our country and protected us. But I do not believe students should be obligated to saying it if they’re not going to mean it.

Alden C said...

I don't think the plege should be manatory. I agree with Nick, that if someone has a different religion, that doesn't believe in God, than they shouldn't have to say it. But I do think that they should stand up and respect that the pledge means a lot to other people and they should show their respect for them and our county. I also think that since we have freedom of choice people should be allowed to choose whether or not they think the pledge means enough to them to say it every day. People shouldn't say the pledge just because it's mandatory, they should say it because they truly mean it. I think if someone really feels strongly about not saying it, say because of their religion, than you shouldn't make them, because a parent could end up suing the school over a simple matter like that.
I think if students are given the choice to say the pledge or not, they definatly should. We shouldn't forget about the people who worked so had to give us our freedom. If someone makes the choice not to say it, then fine, but they should still stand up and be respectful of other people. I also think its important to say it, because that way you can never forget your rights, libery and justice. In my opinion you should only say it if you really mean it, because you are making a promise to your country. And any promise is very important.

Kelsey J said...

I agree with Luke when he said that it should not be mandatory to say the pledge of Allegiance. I believe that it is respectful to say the pledge. Like Alden said if a child believes in a different religion, besides Christianity, they shouldn’t be forced to say the pledge. Another reason they may not say the pledge is if they are from another country and want to stay faithful to their country. If the student does not say the pledge, they have to stay quiet and respectful during it.

If the student has the choice to say the Pledge of Allegiance, I think they should. By saying the pledge it is a sign of respect toward the country and the soldiers in army. It is an important saying in our nation’s history and students should learn more about it like we did in class.

Rachel C. said...

No, I don’t think that students should be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. I say this because the phrase “under God” is used and not all children follow that religion. In the text (Wikipedia) it says, “One objection states that a democratic republic built on freedom of dissent should not require its citizens to pledge allegiance to it, and that the First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects one’s right to refrain from speaking or standing (also a form of speech)… this phrase violates protections against the establishment of religion guaranteed in the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.” I agree with Alden C. when she said, “ I also think that since we have freedom of choice, people should be allowed to choose whether or not they think that the Pledge means enough to them to say it everyday. People shouldn’t say the Pledge just because it is mandatory, they should say it because they truly mean it.” Furthermore, I think that most children cannot completely understand what they are saying. They should be taught what it means and what they are promising. This is why I think that students shouldn’t be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in school.

If a student was given the choice to say the Pledge or not, he or she definitely should! I say this because I think that it reminds you of who you really are and to be proud of it. I also feel this way because in the handbook it says, “ The Pledge is a reminder of who we are as a people and for what we stand. In addition, it is another way of honoring those who have served in the Armed Forces to protect and defend this great country, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice by giving their lives.” Why would you ever want to not give respect to the men and women who fought for us? Another reason why I feel this way is because I think that we wouldn’t be giving almost 30 seconds a day of our school time to say the Pledge if it didn’t matter. This is why I think that all students should say the Pledge if given a choice.

Molly M. said...

I do not think students should be obligated to stand and say the pledge of Allegiance in school. This is because not every student has the same beliefs. This matters since in the pledge it says " Under God" and not everyone believes in god. So he or she might not want to say this. I agree with Alden when she she says, "I also think that since we have freedom of choice people should be allowed to choose whether or not they think the pledge means enough to them to say it every day." That is why students should be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

If a student is given the choice to say the Pledge of Allegiance they should do so because, it is an important part of our history. It reminds us when people served in the Armed Forces to protect and defend this country. As Rachel C. said, " Why would you ever want to not give respect to the men and women who fought for us?" In the hand book it also said it reminds us of who we are as people and for what we stand in. Some people say that it is a waste of 30 seconds during school but, if it does all of these things I have mentioned then how could that be wasting time? That is why I think students should say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Nick A said...

I dont think that saying the peldge should be a mandatory thing. It would be respectful to say the pledge but it should not be mandatory. I agree with Nick G that if someone who has a different religion than christianity should not be forced to say the pledge. Even if the student doesnt believe in god and does not want to say the pledge, they should still stand up to be respectful. Also if a student doesnt mean it they shouldnt say it either, a student shouldnt choose to say it becuase everyone else is saying it they should say it if they actually mean it. Also people shouldnt be forced it if they dont even understand it fully, they should be first taught what it means then have to choice to say it or not. I think if someone is given the choice to say the pledge they should definanty say it because it is very respectful to the country and to the people who have fought to protect this country. Also like Rachel C said "I think that we wouldn’t be giving almost 30 seconds a day of our school time to say the Pledge if it didn’t matter." Once again, i think that students should not be forced to say the pledge of allegiance but if they are given a choice too they should choose to do so.

Kimberly G said...

As many other people have said, I also don't think that saying the Pledge Of Allegiance should be an obligation to students. As Molly M. said, if a student doesn't believe in God, or has different religious beliefs, they shouldn't have to say it. I think that it would be a good idea to have the person have the choice to say it or not, and, if they don't want to, have them remain silent and respectful to the country that they are in, even if they don't want to say it's Pledge.
If given the choice to say the Pledge or not, you might want to say it because 1: It is a tradition. 2: It would give American soldiers in various countries hope because we are still rooting for them by staying loyal to the States.
You might not want to say it because: 1: "One nation under God" might conflict with your religious beliefs. 2: If you hated this country, you probably wouldn't want to promise to be loyal to it. 3: Or you wouldn't say it because you just don't want to. I don't think that that is very likely, though.
That is my opinion on saying the Pledge Of Allegiance or not.

Margot W said...

I agree with Luke, “ You should say the pledge, but not be forced to. I agree with this because there are men in Afghanistan fighting for you and me. These people are fighting because they believe that we should have the right to live in a free country. Also because they should be proud to an American and to live in a free country. They should be happy to have rights, some maybe good, but some maybe not so fair. But me, I could never sit or even not say the pledge; I would feel terrible and maybe self-centered. Not saying the pledge is kind of like saying that you don’t care about what those yough men are doing for you. But then again, people have to right to say it and they have to right not to say it. The pledge says “Under God” some people might not believe in God so people think that they shouldn’t because it goes against their religion. I understand why some people don’t believe that they should say the pledge and that some people believe they should. But more importantly, I think that every person should say the pledge, no matter what.

Liam K said...

I think that nobody should be obligated to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, but you should. I think it is very important to say the pledge because it shows loyalty and attention to your country. I do agree with Molly's comment saying that kids should not be forced to say the pledge in school because it includes the words "under God." These words could possibly offend a child's religion. I think that Luke is right that it is a little disrespectful to not recite the pledge everyday in school. Yet, if the person has a good reason not to such as their religion or that person simply doesn't feel comfortable reciting the pledge, in my opinion, it is not disrespectful at all. If a student is given the choice of saying the pledge or not, I definitely think that anyone should choose to do so unless it interferes with a student's religion. I think this because it shows respect towards the army and your country. I agree with Rachel saying that we wouldn't take 30 seconds out of our school day to recite the pledge if it didn't matter. That is why i think the Pledge of Allegiance is important and should be said everyday by everyone unless you follow a certain religion.

Sandra G said...

After reading the pledge in my handbook and reading the history I believe that it is a good idea to say the pledge everyday. I think this because it is important the citizens of the United States of America should honor their country by saying the pledge and placing their right hand to their heart. The pledge reminds us of who we are and for what we stand. The pledge also is a way to honor the people who serve/served our country and protect and defend us. Especially the people who gave their lives for our country. It’s a way to honor the people who served in the Armed Forces. I believe that if a student doesn’t want to say the pledge, then he/she shouldn’t but that they should still remain silent until the pledge is over so then can respect the people who are saying it. I don’t think that anyone should say the pledge if they don’t believe in what it says. I think that Luke is right when he said that people don’t have to say the pledge but they should just to honor the people and the country in which they live. This is what I think on the Pledge of Allegiance.

James K. said...

1) I believe that the Pledge shouldn’t be forced on kids. But I think that they should have a choose on whether or not they want to say it because some kids might not want to say it for more than one reason. One of the reasons is if some kids are in a different religion it would be weird for them to say “One nation under God.”
2) The kids should at least say it because they are citizen of the US and should show respect to the country. Kids should say it because they are people of the US and it just something we have done since we were young.

Sarah C. said...

I don’t think students should have to say the pledge. With this age of scientific discoveries, and our explorations of space, more and more people are ceasing their belief in God. So when our Pledge of Allegiance says “… one Nation, under God…” some students may be offended by the religious aspect of our pledge. They would also be offended if they worshiped a different God or Gods. Also, the pledge wastes valuable class time. The pledge may seem like a short 30 seconds, but by your ninth year in school (eighth grade) you have spent 13 and ½ hours saying that pledge. When it comes to learning, I don’t think students should miss out, especially 13 hours of it.
When given a choice to say the pledge or not, I think the students should take it. Saying the pledge reminds us of how our ancestors fought for our freedom. It also reminds us that, as citizens, we have certain rights as a person in America.

mikey t. said...

Like what Luke said, I think that students shouldn’t be obligated to say the pledge. If a person does not want to say a pledge, they have the right not to do so according to the constitution. Why would the framers give us the rights of free speech if we were obligated to say something? If we were obligated to say the pledge, the framers of the constitution would be hypocrites. Also, I think students should say the pledge. It shows respect to our country that has so many freedoms. It will show respect to the people that lost their lives to secure our freedoms. It will show respect to the freedoms we have as Americans.

Brendan D. said...

I don’t think that saying the Pledge should be mandatory. I fully agree with Nick G. saying that if someone who has a different religion than Christianity should not be forced the say the Pledge. Also I think that just because they don’t have the same religion and don’t want to say the Pledge of Allegiance doesn’t mean they can be disrespectful. I think they should still stand up with the others and be silent. If a student is given the choice to say the Pledge or not I think they should. I think this because it’s respectful to the country and our army. I agree with Alden C. that they should say the Pledge because that way you never forget your rights, liberty and justice. That is why I think that students should not need to say the pledge and why I think that a student should say the Pledge.

Sebastian T. said...

I agree with the seemingly unanimous idea that students should not be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance, but should be free to do so. I think this because, would not the act of forcing students to say something they do not necessarily want to contradict the Constitution? This would be because the "under God" phrase could offend those who practice different religion, and therefore infringe on the people's right to Freedom of Religion. Also, many could see the forcing of students to recite something they might not believe in as a violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments, or Freedom of Speech. I agree with Sarah C. that another issue could lie with the time consumption of reciting the Pledge every school day. Since the entire kit-and-caboodle takes about 30 seconds each day, by eighth grade the Pledge of Allegiance has consumed about 13.5 hours of school time. That is why I do not believe the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance should be mandatory in schools.

If the students were given the opportunity to say the Pledge, though, I think they should take it. This is because it inspires patriotism and loyalty to the country that the students live in. Also, as it says in the Student Handbook, "The Pledge is a reminder of who we are as a people and for what we stand. In addition, it is another way of honoring those who have served in the Armed Forces to protect and defend this great country, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice by giving their lives.” Would it not dishearten the soldiers, new and old, to learn that children do not care of their sacrifices for their country? Also, if a choice is given, many will still perform the Pledge, so the same amount of time will be used up either way. That is why I think that students, if given the choice, should say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Olivia S said...

I think students should have the option to say the pledge in school and should not be forced to. That’s because in the pledge it mentions god and if you say it, it implies that you believe in god. So if a student had a different religious belief it would be against there religion to say the pledge. And since in the constitution it says people have religious freedom they should have the option to say the pledge and should not be forced to.
If a student is given the option to say the pledge I think they should have a choice, but if they say that they do not want to say the pledge they should have a sufficient reason to not say it. I think they should have to have proof from their parents of why it is against their beliefs to say the pledge. If not they may just not say it to be disruptive. But I do think that students should be able to not say the pledge, but would have to have a good reason to why they are not.

Annamarie O said...

I think that if the person was born in America that he/she should absolutely say the pledge. I say this because it is there right and duty as an American citizen to pledge allegiance to our country for the cost of freedom. I also say this because it is also representing all of the men that went out to fight for our countries liberty and justice. If someone had to choose whether or not to do the pledge I say that they say yes. This is because it is about honoring your nation. I also say this because even though the kids don’t know what they’re saying that the teachers/parents can teach them. That way it gives them a better understanding of what they are pledging for. However, if they were not born in America they should not have to say it.

Clay F. said...

After reading the multiple articles, I have come to the conclusion that the student should not have to say the pledge. I say this because of multiple reasons. One of them is the fact that, like Alden said, we as people of the United States, have the right of free choice, and do not have to say it if we don’t want to. In the text book, it even told that students aren’t required to say the pledge, as long as they stand respectfully. I agree with Alden again, when she says, “…they should still stand up and respect that the pledge means a lot to other people and they should show their respect for them and our county…” I also think this, because even though they aren’t taking part in pledging allegiance, they can still respect their peers’ choice, and not try to disturb them while they are doing the pledge. The other reason I think they should be forced to say it, is because of the highly diverse country we live in today. The population of the U.S is made up of many different cultures and religions. With this in mind, you can already tell that many of the se people wouldn’t want to take part in pledging allegiance to another country, and God, when they are still emotionally tied to their original heritage. That is why I think the students shouldn’t be forced to participate.
My answer to question 2 is yes, I think a student, when presented with the choice of participating in the pledge, should join in. I say this because they are citizens of the U.S, and with that privilege, should take part in the daily ceremony of swearing your loyalty to your country that you live in, and promising not to betray it. Also, when they are pledging, they are respecting the people who risked their lives for this country, and their families and them are probably very happy that they aren’t going to betray them, and that they are happy and safe in the country they live in. That is why I think that the students should participate.

Mike N. said...

I think that all students should stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance every day at school. It is a great tradition that shows respect to people who have fought for this country. If you are a student going to school here in the United States of America, then you should be proud of that and not have a problem saying the pledge. The only reason I can think of for not requiring someone to say the pledge is if their religion forbids it. I think that when they added the words 'under God' it became more questionable to people. I agree with Luke that it also shows disrespect if you don't say it. Also, because we have a right to freedom, I think that schools can't make it mandatory. Just like in our handbook which states, "A student does not have to participate if he/she does not want to participate." So we are not being forced.

Cory M said...

I think that we should have to say the pledge of allegiance. I disagree with most of my classmates. My brother's girlfriend emailed some of her military friends, and asked them this question. Her friends said they can't believe that this question is even being asked in schools. They said we are over here fighting for our country and children can't even stand up, put their hand over their heart, and say the pledge of allegiance. This is an outrage to our country, and to the men and women who are fighting for us. I feel that if you live in The United States of America it is your job to honor our country and our flag.

Ben L said...

Students shouldn’t be obligated to stand and say the pledge of allegiance because some people don’t believe in god. People have the right to have a freedom of choice to believe in what they want to. They may not believe what the pledge says. Even though, I believe people shouldn’t be obligated for saying it, given a choice, I believe that they should say it because they should show their loyalty to the flag and country it represents. It is the same country that gives the freedom to choose that their showing loyalty to. I also agree with Brendan D. about people should have respect for country and the army. If the people choose not to say the pledge, I agree with Sandra G. that should remain silent. Our country is found on freedom, we should continue for letting people to be free to choose to say the pledge of allegiance and people should still be respectful of the country that gives us freedom.

Ray C said...

I think that anyone shouldn’t have to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I think this because of some of the words added, like Under God. Many people are Christian but many people also aren’t. I don’t understand why so many things were added to the pledge, and why it was changed so many times. If you ask me, the original pledge was fine. I think that many more people will say the pledge if it were the original because it doesn’t violate their religion. I think that we should have to stand up and put our hands on our heart, but we shouldn’t have to say the pledge.
If I were a student, I would not say the pledge. I wouldn’t because it violates my religion and I shouldn’t have to say it. But if we could say the original pledge, then I would say it.

Elise B said...

1. I think that students shouldn’t be forced to say the pledge, but only if they have a specific, reasonable excuse. For example, if the child has a different religion that doesn’t have one god or any god at all, then that would be a fine excuse. But, if someone is from America, believes in God, and doesn’t want to say the pledge because they don’t have to, or because they don’t want to stand, then that is very disrespectful, and should not be considered an excuse. However, even if they do not believe in Christianity, they can and should still stand respectfully, because even though they might not like the “…under god…” part, they need to acknowledge the people who fight for our county, and for what our country stands for. Another way to not go against their religion is to say everything of the pledge but the “…under god…” part. In this way, they are still showing the respect due to our country, without going against their religion. Another reason that students shouldn’t be forced to say the pledge is that they might not know what they are really saying. I doubt that in first grade they know what words like “allegiance”, “liberty”, or “justice” mean. I think that at an early age, students should be taught what it means, because like Alden said, you should only say it if you mean it, because you are making a promise to your country. And any promise is important. They need to know what they are promising.
2. I definitely think that students should recite the pledge every morning. It is an act of respect towards our country. It shows that we are loyal to our country, and that we respect all those who work so hard for it. We should show respect and gratefulness to the people who gave their lives to make the country what it is now, so that we have freedom, and all the rights that we have. To be American and believe in a religion that has a god and to not say the pledge is very disrespectful, I think. I think that if the pledge does not offend the student in any way, they should say it. People who fight for our country fight to make us safer or so that we can have a better life deserve to be respected, and this is just one way to show the respect deserved. Like Rachel said, we wouldn’t take the time to say it every morning if it didn’t matter. This is why saying the pledge every morning if given the choice is a good idea.

Olivia O. said...

I do not think that students should be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. I think this because in the pledge the phrase, "under God" is used and not all children followers of the religion of Christianity or believe in God. I think that having to spend a part of each day pledging your loyalty to God, might be frustrating and offensive if you do not believe in "God." Thirty seconds a day may not seem like a lot to some, but it can add up to about 13 hours by eighth grade! If you don’t agree with the words you are being forced to say, then I don’t think that you should have to say them. Also, I think that we should be taught what the pledge means at an earlier age. Kindergarteners and up have been memorizing this sentence since before they even started school, having absolutely no idea what the words they are saying mean. I know that I gave no thought to what I was saying meant until this year. This is why I think students should not be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in school.
If a student is given the choice to say the Pledge or not, I think that he or she should choose to do so. I think this because it is important to remember the founders of our country and where we come from. I think that as long as you know what the words you are saying mean and agree with them, you should most definitely make the choice to say them every day. I also feel this way because in the handbook it says, "The Pledge is a reminder of who we are as people and for what we stand. In addition it is another way of honoring those who have served in the Armed Forces to protect and defend this great country, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice by giving their lives." I think that it is very important that we spend 30 seconds a day respecting those who left their families and friends to help our country. As Rachel C. said, "Why would you ever not want to give respect to the men and women who fought for us?" I think it is important that we keep up this tradition and tribute to the men and women who lost their lives for us. This is why I think that all students should say the pledge if given the choice.

Robert M. said...

No, i don't think that students should have to stand and say the pledge of Allegiance i school. i say this because in the pledge the term "under god" is used and some people do not believe in god or have a different religion. If you were forced to stand up and say the pledge then you would be not saying what you believe in. I agree with Olivia, i think we should all learn what the pledge means so we are not just saying random words in the morning. Also if we did learn it at a younger age we could put it in our own words in our head when we are saying it. The Third reason students should not be forced to say it is that you should only say it if you mean it because if you are making a pledge to our country and you don't mean it then there is not point in saying it at all.
If a student was able to choose to say the Pledge of Allegiance then i think he/she should. I say this because compared to many places in the world, I think america is one of the best. And if i didnt like America the i wouldnt say the Pledge but i do so that is why i say it everyday. Also i say it everyday because i believe every single part of it.

AlisaG said...

No, I do not think that people should be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. I agree with Emma. I think this because not everyone is religious and believes in god. Or some people could just have a different religion, as Robert said. In the text it says that it added “under god”. If some people aren’t religious then they shouldn’t be making a formal promise that they don’t really mean. When saying the pledge you are committing to god and your country. If you are not willing to do this, then why be forced to formally promise it at the beginning of every day?

If a student is given the choice, I think they should say the pledge. In the text it explains that when saying the pledge you are promising loyalty to your flag and to your country. I think when people say the pledge they realize how we are all one nation working together. It is like a statement of peace. It also says in the text that it is a way to remember the people who have fought for our republic and give loyalty to them. It’s a good thing to remember how they have served our country and helped to improve it. But students should only say the Pledge if they really mean it not saying it just to say it. I think students should learn about what it really means before saying it. If they are aware of the meaning and still believe in it, then they should say it.

Julie A. said...

Students should have a choice to say the pledge allegiance because it is kind of boring saying it out loud in front of the class or anywhere. If students are forced to say the Pledge, it wouldn’t be okay because it’s our choice if we want to say it or not. Other people can’t make that choice for us.
Yes, students should say the pledge allegiance because it shows respect to the United States of America. Things are better when people respect the country because it shows everyone what it means in people’s lives and it wouldn’t be a good thing if we all didn’t respect our country.
I agree with Laura V. who said, “But, I still believe should say the Pledge because you’re pretty much saying you are loyal to your country and wouldn’t do anything to hurt it.” I agree because she is right about being loyal to our country.

dylan m said...

1. I do not think students should be obligated to stand and say the pledge. I think this because if someone does not agree with the words recited in the pledge of allegiance they shouldn’t have to say it. Since the pledge says”under god” peoples whose religion does not believe in a god might be offended if they are forced to say the pledge. That is why I don’t think everyone should be forced to stand and say the pledge of allegiance.

2. I think the student should choose to say the pledge, unless they do not believe in a god or the messages the pledge gives. But I think saying the pledge, or at least standing for it shows some respect. It also honors all the soldiers who are fighting for are country or the soldiers that have died for our country. That is why I think students should choose to stand for the pledge.

Keyshawn H. said...

I think students should have a choice to stand for the pledge or not.The reason I think so is because if a student has a religion that worships a different god and disagrees with the statement "one nation under god" then he should have the right not to stand. Another reason is what if that student is from Iraq and apart of a respectful family who moved to this country for better opportunities but he/she hates the country because of the war. They can have a choice to stand or not. But if you're from the country it will show very enthusiastic patriotism. But for the most part, I think they should stand out of respect for the country and its beliefs. It also builds patriotism and that is great. So to all schools stand if you want and sit if you want just don't criticize each other.

Leanne M said...

I think you should say the pledge, but you don't have to be made to. I say this because when some students say the pledge, I think they aren't sure on what they are saying. Also maybe some people have a different religion. I say this because when it says "one nation under God." Also I think when they are saying the pledge, maybe they are being loyal to their country. I also think so students maybe think they have to so they just stand up. This is why I say students shouldn't be forced to say the pledge.

Leanne M said...

I think you should say the pledge, but you don't have to be made to. I say this because when some students say the pledge, I think they aren't sure on what they are saying. Also maybe some people have a different religion. I say this because when it says "one nation under God." Also I think when they are saying the pledge, maybe they are being loyal to their country. I also think so students maybe think they have to so they just stand up. This is why I say students shouldn't be forced to say the pledge.

Griffin Y said...

What I think a student should do for the pledge is that they should not have to say it. I think this because there could be students from other countries that don't know the pledge and when everyone stands up to do it, they mat feel left out. So they might just stand up to not look excluded and after all they really don't care about it. I agree with Clay and Alden because we have free choice of what we do and what we say so we shouldn't have to say it.
I have come to the conclusion that if the student is given the choice to stand, they shouldn't choose to say it. I say this because we have said many times and should just have a time in the morning to say it to ourselves. Also the student shouldn't choose because it mat waste time. It wastes at least a minute of learning with the moment of silence and saying it so that minute could teach us a bit more. Overall, I truly think that a student shouldn't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Chelsea O said...

I do not think students should be obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. I think this because, if a student has other beliefs, they should not have to pledge their loyalty for something they don't believe in. Some people might find it offensive to waste time every morning for something that doesn't fit in with their beliefs. So, I think that if you don't believe in it, you shouldn't have to say it. Also, I think it's not fair how younger kids are forced to say it, without a clue knowing what it means. I've been saying the Pledge since I was in kindergarten, and I never knew the true meaning of it until now that i'm in eighth grade. I never understood what I was even saying, or even pledging too, now that I know I have different thoughts on it. I think students have a right not to say the Pledge if they do not believe in it. If a student was given the choice to say the Pledge, I would say they should, only if they believe in it though. I agree with Annamarie when she said "I think that if the person was born in America that he/she should absolutely say the pledge." I agree with this because, if you are an American citizen, it is only right to promise your loyalty to your own country. Those are my thoughts on the Pledge of Allegiance.

Noah G said...

After reading the article, I don’t think that kids should be obligated to say the pledge of allegiance. I also agree with Dylan that students shouldn’t have to stand for it. For example what if a person is a Jehovah’s witness and their religion forbids them to do it, or if there is a Muslim kid, who ahs a different religion, and can’t say it because of the “under God” part. Also, the pledge wastes time. Up to 8th grade, about 13 hours of time is spent on it, or about 1-½ hours a year. That is almost two whole school days! Don’t you think that time could be spent in a much better and more efficient way? This is why I don’t think kids should be forced to stand for the pledge of allegiance.

I personally don’t think that kids should choose to say the pledge of allegiance. It was probably originally meant to show some patriotism, but to me, it seems kind of ineffective and outdated. Most kids just stand up and recite it. It doesn’t have much real value anymore, and there are too many problems it causes. This is why I don’t think that kids should say it, but they can choose whatever they like.

Courtney D said...

I think that student are not obligated to say the pledge at school. The reason I think this is because when we say the pledge we are talking about god and some students do not believe in god. I think if you and your family are a different religion that you are not forced to say it because your parents might not want you to say it. So in conclusion if your parents do not want you to say the pledge you are not forced to and you might want to bring a note to give to your homeroom teacher. If a student had the choice to say the pledge our no I think that they should have the option to say it or note. I am saying this because some students are not supposed to say the pledge because they may not be allowed to because of their parents. If this is the case though the student should bring in a note that way they will not have say the pledge but they could stand to be respectful. However students without a note should have to say the pledge. This is what I would do if I was the principle and the students a choice to say it.

Emma Tuz said...

1) I don’t think that students should be obligated to say the pledge. I think this because the first amendment states that everyone has the right to practice their own religion. So saying “Nation under God” may just go against somebody’s region. Taking away their first amendment. I also think that nobody should make anybody say the pledge because it could also go against how you view god, and being in this country. If I didn’t believe in God I would not stand up and repeat the pledge. So I basically agree with Julie and disagree with Keyshawn.

2) I say that if a student is given a chance to say the pledge or not, I think if the student strongly believes in God and this Nation then yes, they should say the pledge. If the student doesn’t believe in God, then no, no student should be made to say the pledge. All people need the right to excise the right to their own religion.

Emma Tuz said...

1) I don’t think that students should be obligated to say the pledge. I think this because the first amendment states that everyone has the right to practice their own religion. So saying “Nation under God” may just go against somebody’s region. Taking away their first amendment. I also think that nobody should make anybody say the pledge because it could also go against how you view god, and being in this country. If I didn’t believe in God I would not stand up and repeat the pledge. So I basically agree with Julie and disagree with Keyshawn.

2) I say that if a student is given a chance to say the pledge or not, I think if the student strongly believes in God and this Nation then yes, they should say the pledge. If the student doesn’t believe in God, then no, no student should be made to say the pledge. All people need the right to excise the right to their own religion.

Sam K said...

I think that students should not be obligated to stand and say the pledge for a few reasons. One reason is that some students have different religions that don’t believe in god, so they may be offended to have to say the part “under God”. I do feel that it would be appropriate for those students to stand and just not recite the pledge because they’re obviously in a school in America so they must live here for a reason and should respect the country they live in. If a student does not like the country then I wouldn’t understand why they live here, but with that possibility, they should just stand or sit silently. Another possibility is for all students to recite the pledge but if they do not want to, they could skip the part that says “under god”. But then again, like Clay F and Alden C said, everyone has free choice to do what they want to do and say what we want to say, so no one can force someone to even stand up for the pledge if they don’t want to. I do believe that all students should be obligated to recite the pledge or just be silent. That’s what I think about students being obligated to stand and say the pledge.
If students have a choice to say the pledge, I think they should at least stand up and be silent to show some respect and honor for our country. I think this because like Dylan M said, some students have different beliefs from the pledge so they may not believe in the message of the pledge. Like I said in my other answer, the part when it says “under God” should be optional because some religions may not believe in God, and they may find it disrespectful for their religion to have to say “under God”. By standing up, it shows that you’re loyal to your country and proud to live there and I would say the majority of students are happy to live here, so the least everyone can do when given the option would be to stand and be silent. That’s why I say that all students should at least stand and be silent or just skip the line “under God” when there are given the choice of saying the pledge.

Kristine K said...

I don't think kids should be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. The reason I say that is because in the pledge they say, "in one nation under GOD." That phrase was added in 1948 and I really think that it should be removed. I believe it should be removed because it is the main reason that people who don't say the pledge don't say the pledge. Not all people are religious and believe in God. Also in America there is religious freedom so if every morning you have to pledge to god, what if you don't believe in god. Also because like Alden said we have a freedom of choice and freedom of speech. So we should make our own decisions and be able decide what we know is best for ourselves. No one should ever be forced to say the pledge.

If a student is given the choice to say the pledge I think they should. The reason I think that is because when we pledge to the flag we are giving it and our country loyalty. But not only are we giving our flag and country loyalty we are also giving people who are fighting and have fought in the armed forces our loyalty. They help protect and defend our country everyday and without them it would be an absolute mess and we would probably have nothing like the Pledge or Declaration of independence. Those people, like the handbook says, make supreme sacrifices by giving their lives up for peace in our country. If you were one of them wouldn't you want people to be giving you their loyalty 5 or more times a week for 30 seconds? I know i would. Those are the reason why I think if you have the choice to say the pledge you should.

Dallas M said...

I agree with Luke and Annamarie. I don’t think students should be obliged to stand and say the pledge, however I think it is respectful to stand and recite the pledge. As Luke said, the Constitution states that people have the freedom of speech ect. and cannot be forced to do things such as stand and say the pledge. I agree with what Luke said, and my I too think it is slightly disrespectful to not stand and say the pledge, then again we all have rights and those rights make it clear that it is not necessary to say the pledge. I believe that if a student is given the choice to say the pledge or not, that they should make the decision to say the pledge. Not only is it you taking a mere minute of your day to pledge your respect to the United States, but it is also is showing respect for the men and women who fought to get us where we are today. However as Kimberly G said, the “one nation under God” may interfere with one’s religion. However though, in that case, you could always just skip that little bit. These are just a few of the reasons why I believe that saying the pledge should not be required and why if students were given the chance to say the pledge, why I believe they should.

Michael G said...

I don't think kids should be obligated to say the pledge. I think this because some religions forbid it and they should not say it if it is not true. On the other hand students only say it for about 30 seconds of each day. Is it that hard to show loyalty to our country? In the handbook it says that peple make supreme sacrifices. Many people have risked and lost their lives trying to protect our country. I agree with Griffin that we can also have a choice of what we do just stand, say it, or don't say it at all.The handbook clearly states b saying the pledge you are showing loyaltyto your country. It is a good thing to remember people who fought for our country. In conclusion I do not feel that kids should be obligated to say the pledge of alliegience.

Olivia D said...

I do agree that it is probably a good idea to say the pledge. It shows respect for your country and honors those who support us.

However, I disagree with the idea that it should be said every day. Most pledges, you say once and you are just supposed to honor this pledge. Yes, it honors America. But we spend hours saying this pledge, we could be using this time to focus on academics.

No it would not kill us to say it maybe once a month, or once a wwek. But i personally think its unnessasary to say it every day.

Maisie. said...

I don’t think students should have to do say the Pledge of Allegiance. Like Kelsey J. said, what if a student is loyal to his or her country, and doesn’t want to “Pledge their Allegiance” to America? Maybe a student an exchange student, just visiting for a while. Also, it wastes so much school time! We have already wasted about 13 hours of school standing up, reciting a Pledge. That’s two full school days, down the drain! Plus, if a student is a Russian spy or something, reciting a few words isn’t going to cause their loyalty to America. In addition, many students don’t believe in God. The Pledge includes a phrase added in 1948, “In one nation under God.” Why should they have to say that line? Is it really necessary? I understand that the Pledge shows respect for the people fighting for us, but as Alden C. said, if you’re going to say the Pledge you should only say it if you really mean it, not because you’re forced to. I know that when I was much younger and had to say the Pledge, I thought it was all one big word, and had no idea what it meant. Is the fact that I was reciting something I didn’t even understand the meaning of really THAT important to the soldiers? If students like, they can say the Pledge in their own time. Almost all students go home over the weekend, and the thought of the Pledge doesn’t even cross their minds, until the next morning when they drone it out. And then they argue that it’s respectful. It doesn’t make sense to me. That’s why I believe schools shouldn’t make students say the pledge.
If students have the choice whether or not to say the Pledge, I really believe it’s up to the individual. If you say it, but giggle and whisper throughout the whole thing, it’s more disrespectful then if you were to not say it. And if you are from another country or don’t believe in God, you shouldn’t say it if you don’t want to. And if you don’t know what it evens means, at least learn the definition first. However, if you think it shows respect for our country, go right ahead and say it. That’s why I believe you should only say the Pledge if you want to.

Brian D said...

I think that students should not have to say the Pledge of Allegiance at school, because it shows patriotism to the troops overseas and it shows that you respect your country’s flag, but it also can be a little religiously offensive. For example, if somebody was a different religion from Christian religion, and they were forced to say the Pledge, it would be disrespecting their OWN religion. That might be offensive to them, because it would be disrespecting their religion and what their faith is. If a student is given the choice to say the Pledge, I think they should have their opinion on what to salute and what not to salute. I think this because if somebody doesn’t know the pledge, they don’t have to say it. If they just moved to America, too, they shouldn’t have to say it because they probably don’t know it. The students should also have a vote every year to see if they want to say it or not, because that would give the schools an idea of how many students want to say it each morning. It also gives the students freedom to do what they want to do during the pledge, like sit silently or read a book. This is why I think kids shouldn’t have to say the Pledge each morning.

Joseph F. said...

Yes I think that every student in the U.S.A. should have to say the pledge of Allegiance. I say this because it was written a long time ago and why should we forget what they used to say. Also I think everyone should be patriotic to their own country. If you are a different religion take out the “under god” but everyone has to say it. Plus I think if you are in this country you should have the pledge of allegiance memorized and say it every morning at school. I also think if you are an adult you should still have it memorized. I agree with what Cory M. said if you live in The United States of America it is your job to honor our country and our flag. I also think that it is respectful to the men and women fighting in the war now and in all the wars the U.S. fought in.

Zack C said...

I do not think people should be forced to say the pledge. I think this because if you don’t believe in it or don’t understand it there is no reason to say it. If you have a different religion and don’t believe in the phrase under god you shouldn’t have to say the pledge. But if you do believe in the pledge you should definitely say it.

I agree with Dylan. I think a student should choose to say the pledge out of respect for our country and our troops fighting in Iraq. But if you don’t choose to say the pledge you should stand for it. This is your county and standing for the pledge is a way to show you like your country. Saying or at least standing for the pledge is very patriotic. This is why you should stand for the pledge if you don’t say it.

Kate M. said...

Although most students feel they have the obligation to stand and say the pledge, as they've been taught to do since they were literally 4 years old, I don't think they should be. Students whose beliefs differ from those of the Pledge of Allegiance, (One Nation, Under God...) should not feel they have an obligation to make a promise to something they don't believe in or a religion they don't follow, and they should definately not be forced to say or promise it.
If a student were given the choice, however, I would say that the decision is, honestly, their choice. No teacher or person can force the student to stand, so they have the right to not participate in the Pledge of Allegiance. But in order for that, I think they definately should have a real reason for doing so. If it goes against their system of beliefs or they don't feel comfortable about something said in the Pledge, then I would say it should be their right to not participate in it. But it would probably be a good idea to discuss this with their teacher, too. However if a student just wants to sit around because it's a Monday morning and they had a long weekend and don't feel like standing, that seems to be just blatant disrespect. Even if the Pledge of Allegiance goes against your beliefs you still should respect it. Like Maisie said, it would be more disrespectful to say the Pledge and giggle and talk throughout it, then it would be to just not say it at all. If you are from another country and your beliefs differ, then it is up to you to decide if you want to say the Pledge of Allegiance... or at least understand what you're agreeing to abide by. These are the reasons why I don't think all students should be obligated to recite the Pledge, and Students should have the choice to say the Pledge.

Brian C. Mackay said...

I dont think it should be manditory saying the pledge. As I completely agree with Alden when she said we have the right to do what we want. And I think it shouldnt be manditory because some people may not be with the independence of our country, I am most certainly not. But, it would be fair to let them choose not to say it in school.

I do think if we have the choice to say it, we should. I think this because it shows respect and loyalty to the country. And it is fair to the people that made the U.S.A an indipendent country to recognise them. It is a good thing being our own country, so i think we shold choose to say it.

Kaitlyn Smith said...

1.Should students be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in school?

I believe that students should always have the choice to do so. I say this because well some people believe that the government has taken over so saying that you pledge all your loyalty to the Republic,which is the GOVERNMENT, is almost absurd. I say that because we separated from Britain in the first place to get away from being controlled. I mean didn't we, the people wanted to control it? But then we brought the government back ,stronger. But I'm not saying that laws are good for this country. Another reason it could be a choice is because some people don't believe in God.Some people may believe that their God is Buddha or Gondi. So they may feel uncomfortable referring to their nation being under God only. Also another good reason that it should be a choice is because if you don't understand it I feel that you should say it until you do because America has been almost brainwashed to say and personally I don't think anyone is going to think about every word their saying when reciting the pledge. But I also agree with Zack that if you know it and believe in it then you should say it. These are all reasons why I feel it should be a choice.

2.If a student is given the choice to say the Pledge or not, should he or she choose to do so?

I think a choice is a privilege and like I said before I found that reciting the pledge should be optional but also I feel as if you knwo the pledge or you are in America illegally then you should say the pledge. Epically people who don't have green cards. I feel strongly about this even though they may have a different religion which above was a reason for people of America not to say it. But if your going to come here into our country illegally the least you can do and stand up and recite the pledge or else you really have no respect and shouldn't be allowed to be here. I know I sound hypocritical because I was just saying that it should be a choice to say it and you don't have to because of your religion but once it becomes the matter of illegal immigrants coming here to America and taking Americans jobs and everything and don't even respect us as a country then they should not be allowed to step foot on our countries plains,desserts,mountains,hills,valleys,and anything else that lies above this ground. But then again I kind of disagree with myself 'cause I'm saying that if your American and have no respect for America then you don't have to say the pledge, so I don't really know what i totally believe in.

Anonymous said...

I don’t believe that students should be forced to say the pledge in school. One reason, just like Kristine said, is that the pledge has the line, “one nation under god.” Some religions do not believe in god, and having to mention it, and go against their religion in their own country does not make sense. Forcing students to say the pledge isn’t fair to these other religions. Also some people living in this country are not citizens and are very proud of another country where they may have lived in before, and would rather say their own countries pledge, or even nothing at all. I think everyone in this country should have the choice as weather they would like to stand or not.
However, I think that if you do have the choice to stand up and say the pledge or not, you should stand. This is because the majority of citizens here do believe in one god, so that one line will not affect them much, and most people do like our country. Also though, students even with the only reason of I don’t care much to or something like that shouldn’t have to stand either. If you are not proud of this country, or don’t care enough to stand, you don’t have to, only if you care about our country and “believe” in it do I think you should stand.

Marin K said...

I don’t believe that students should be forced to say the pledge in school. One reason, just like Kristine said, is that the pledge has the line, “one nation under god.” Some religions do not believe in god, and having to mention it, and go against their religion in their own country does not make sense. Forcing students to say the pledge isn’t fair to these other religions. Also some people living in this country are not citizens and are very proud of another country where they may have lived in before, and would rather say their own countries pledge, or even nothing at all. I think everyone in this country should have the choice as weather they would like to stand or not.
However, I think that if you do have the choice to stand up and say the pledge or not, you should stand. This is because the majority of citizens here do believe in one god, so that one line will not affect them much, and most people do like our country. Also though, students even with the only reason of I don’t care much to or something like that shouldn’t have to stand either. If you are not proud of this country, or don’t care enough to stand, you don’t have to, only if you care about our country and “believe” in it do I think you should stand.

Marin K said...

I don’t believe that students should be forced to say the pledge in school. One reason, just like Kristine said, is that the pledge has the line, “one nation under god.” Some religions do not believe in god, and having to mention it, and go against their religion in their own country does not make sense. Forcing students to say the pledge isn’t fair to these other religions. Also some people living in this country are not citizens and are very proud of another country where they may have lived in before, and would rather say their own countries pledge, or even nothing at all. I think everyone in this country should have the choice as weather they would like to stand or not.
However, I think that if you do have the choice to stand up and say the pledge or not, you should stand. This is because the majority of citizens here do believe in one god, so that one line will not affect them much, and most people do like our country. Also though, students even with the only reason of I don’t care much to or something like that shouldn’t have to stand either. If you are not proud of this country, or don’t care enough to stand, you don’t have to, only if you care about our country and “believe” in it do I think you should stand.

Brian C. Mackay (re-do) said...

I dont think it should be manditory to say the pledge. I completely agree with Alden when she said that we have the right to do what we want. I also think it shouldnt be manditory because some people may not be with the independence of our country, I am most certainly not against it. But, it would be fair to let those who are against it choose whether or not to say it in school.

I do think if we have the choice to say it, we should. I think this because it shows respect and loyalty to the country. And it is fair to those founders of our of the U.S.A to recognise the independent country we live in. It is a good thing being our own country, so i think we shold choose to recognise it every day.

Andrew G said...

I think that people should say the pledge, but not to be forced to. Because there are men and woman fighting for freedom for their rights. If kids had the choice to say the pledge I think that it would be best if they did. I would say the pledge because I think that it would be respectful to our country. I think that if anyone how didn’t say the pledge they would be disrespecting their country and people who are fighting for their freedom!

Katie K. said...

I think that the choice to say the pledge or not should be up to the students. The reason I say this is because if you don’t mean what you are saying when you say the pledge why say it? Saying the pledge is an important decision to make because you are promising to be loyal to the United States. In the text it says, “ ……should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.” This tells me that you are giving a piece of your heart to the flag and the United States and if you say it without meaning, the intent is lost. It says in Wikipedia that, “Another objection lies in the fact that the people who are most likely to recite the Pledge every day, small children in schools, cannot really give their consent or even completely understand the Pledge they are taking.” I think this means that time should be taken out of a school day to teach the kids the meaning of the pledge. Then they can make an educated decision on whether or not to say those thirty-one words to the United States flag every morning.

I believe that every student should say the pledge with a few exceptions. They should say it to remember all the hard-working people that fought for our country past and present. For example people who fought for our freedom from Britain in the 1700’s and for the people who are fighting right now overseas. Saying the pledge is a sign of respect for those who have been wounded, killed and who are still fighting to keep us safe. I disagree with Kelsey in that people from other countries should say the pledge. I say this because whether they are visiting or living in the Untied States they should show a respect to our culture and country by saying the pledge. We are hosting an exchange student from Switzerland. I asked if he says the pledge and he said that while he does, he doesn’t know what it means. I should take my own advice and take the time to teach him what it means! If we were to travel to their country it is respectful to follow the laws and culture they have there, as well. However I agree with Kelsey in that people who have a different religion should not be forced to recite it but should stand and be respectful to those who chose in saying it. In the handbook it says, “The Pledge is a reminder of who we are as a people and for what we stand”. In addition, it is another way of honoring those who have served in the Armed Forces to protect and defend this great country, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice by giving their lives.” This further supports the idea that the pledge should be the students’ choice, but regardless, students should be encouraged to recite it out of respect for our country.

Skylar S said...

I am agreeing with what Dallas said. I have to agree with the idea of students having a choice weather to stand and say the pledge. I think this because if they live in the US then they should stand and say the pledge for their home country. All you are doing is taking thirty seconds of your day to pledge to and respect your country in which you live in. If they are not from the US, then they shouldn’t HAVE to stand and say the pledge. If a student does not care for the pledge then they shouldn’t have to stand for it, they should have the choice to sit down and let the time go by.
I think that if a student is given the choice to say the pledge or not, I think that they should. I think this because if a student does say the pledge then they are saluting to the army, the government, and the nation in general. Like Kate M said, the students have the right to do what they want without being forced to do anything. Even if they do nothing, they should have a good reason for doing so. This is what I think of the choice of saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

Emma F. said...

I think there should be an option to say the pledge of allegiance. Like Luke said it should not be mandatory. We need to pay respect for our country and solider's fighting for our lives. however if someone does not believe in god they should not have to say it, because of the line, "and to the republic for which it stands one nation under god..." In my opinion you should do the pledge of allegiance in school. It shows that you care for our country.It is also a very good sign of respect. If i were fighting in a war i would want people blessing me every day so i could come home. This is why i think the pledge of allegiance should be optional.

Sarah S said...

I think that the Pledge of Allegiance should not be mandatory for all students to say. I think this because in the Wikipedia article it says, “The First Amendment to the United States Constitution protects one's right to refrain from speaking or standing (also a form of speech). Another objection lies in the fact that the people who are most likely to recite the Pledge every day, small children in schools, cannot really give their consent or even completely understand the Pledge they are taking about.” I agree with this statement because when people stand to to say the Pledge of Allegiance most don’t know what they are taking about. Also the First amendment states that people have the right to not say the Pledge and remain silent during the time of the Pledge. In the Shepaug handbook it states that all students do not have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance they must remain silent during the Pledge though. The Pledge is a reminder every morning during school that we are Americans and this is what we stand for. It is another way to be thankful for all that people have done for us like fighting in the war and giving their lives on our country. This is why I think that the Pledge should not be mandatory for all students.

If a student had the choice to say the pledge of Allegiance I think that they should, because of what the Pledge stands for. Don’t you want to be loyal to your country? Of course you do. After all that people have done to get where we are today the least that we can do for our country is say some words every morning to thank them for what they have done. I agree with Rachel C. when she says, “I say this because I think that it reminds you of who you really are and to be proud of it.” I agree with this because you should be proud of who you are and be proud of where we have gotten. This is why I think kids should say the pledge of Allegiance every morning.

Andrew L. said...

I think kids should not be forced to say the Pledge because if kids from other countries come to the U.S. and they don't say the pledge, it could offend them. Another reason why Kids should not be forced to say the Pledge is it takes time out of the school day. In that time we should have more homeroom time to do homework. Also it states in the Pledge "under god", and some kids may not believe in god. They could be any other religion, and kids could get offended by that. Just like what Alden said we have freedom, and we have the freedom to do what ever we want. Also most kids do not like to stand up when they say the pledge because its tiring in the morning. Thats why kids should not be forced to say the plaedge.

Logan R said...

After reading the article I think students should be obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I think this because as Americans we should honor our country and the people who are serving it. It is Important for us to do this because it reminds us that we live in a great place. Like Joseph said “Everyone should be patriotic to their own country”. That is why I think students should be obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance.
If students are given the choice of saying the Pledge of Allegiance or not I think they should. I think this because it is important for us, as Americans, to honor our country and the people who are serving it. Like Alisa said “when people say the pledge they realize we are one nation working together”. It is important for us to remember because it is a lifelong lesson to work together. That is why I think that if students are given the choice to say the Pledge of Allegiance, they should say it.

Logan R said...

After reading the article I think students should be obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I think this because as Americans we should honor our country and the people who are serving it. It is Important for us to do this because it reminds us that we live in a great place. Like Joseph said “Everyone should be patriotic to their own country”. That is why I think students should be obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance.
If students are given the choice of saying the Pledge of Allegiance or not I think they should. I think this because it is important for us, as Americans, to honor our country and the people who are serving it. Like Alisa said “when people say the pledge they realize we are one nation working together”. It is important for us to remember because it is a lifelong lesson to work together. That is why I think that if students are given the choice to say the Pledge of Allegiance, they should say it.

Marcus F. said...

I think a student should not be obligated to recite the pledge of allegiance for a few reasons. In certain cases there are people (children and adult) who do not understand the pledge’s meaning. Our founding fathers fought for independence and if someone just mimics the words without knowing its meaning; I consider that un-patriotic. If children were taught its meaning, they may feel more confident in saying it.

Another reason is that, in many school systems in America there are exchange students from other countries. These students pay a fee to get an education in America. They should not be forced to say the pledge of allegiance as they are an American’s belief which they may not agree with. If an exchange student comes to our school it should not be necessary for him/her to say it. They may not believe in God or believe that the US stands for liberty and justice for all. These students are here to learn English and math.

Students should have the choice to say the pledge or not. There are many patriotic kids who understand its meaning and proud of what this country has become. If people do not know what it means there is no point of saying it. I also believe that it represents freedom. If we would make others do things against their beliefs we would be a dictatorship. If we would go to Spain and they made us recite the Spanish ‘pledge of allegiance’ many Americans would not recite it because of their loyalty to the US.

Lauren O. said...

After reading the articles and viewing my classmates comments, I think it shouldn’t be mandatory to say the Pledge of Allegiance every day. I say this because in the pledge, the phrase “under GOD,” might be offensive towards people who practice a different religion than others. Also, two of the 27 amendments states that people have the right to freedom of speech and religion. So if they have those rights they should not be forced to say the pledge. They should be allowed to either want or not want to say the pledge too. Another thing is that even though the pledge of allegiance only takes about 30 seconds to say each day, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t count. By eighth grade, you or anyone else, would have taken about 13.5 hours of saying the pledge. That’s two days of school missed! Also what if a child or even an adult was from another country? What if they want to stay loyal to their country? That’s why it shouldn’t be mandatory to say the pledge of allegiance.


But if kids had a choice to say the pledge, I think they should take it. I say this because most Americans want to show their honor and loyalty to their country by saying the pledge. But others may not be up to it for a couple reasons. One reason being that they could be from another country. They could possibly want to stay loyal to their own country. But that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t respect the people who are saying it. They should at least stand and be silent for the people who are reciting the pledge during that time. Also maybe kids just don’t’ want to say it just because. Maybe they don’t’ even have a reason. Anyways, that is why I think kids should have the choice to say the pledge.

Ana M said...

After reading the article, I don't think a student should really need to say the Pledge of aligence because there's a certain line the pledge that says 'One nation, Under god.' Some students might not believe in god so they shouldn't be forced to say it. Also if a student had a choice to say the pledge or not, it really depends on personal preference actually, it's not like the teachers can make the students say it so they shouldn't have to say it.

Jenna Raymond said...

i personally don't think that any student should have to stand up for the pledge of allegiance. I think this because if they don't want to for some reason because maybe they think some part of it seems wrong to them then they shouldn't have to. Also the student can't be told to stand up if he/she doesn't want to.

If given the chance to sit or stand for the pledge i think students should stand. i think this because by them standing they are supporting our troops in the war and really it just gives you a time to think about people and things. so i'm saying that if you want to you can but if not than you don't have too. But i think it would be nice.

MarisaP♥ said...

I belive that students should be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. You may not agree with everything the U.S. government does but men and women have DIED for your country and for your freedom and that is what the American flag stands for - freedom. By standing and saluting the flag, saying the Pledge of Allegiance or singing the national anthem you are showing respect and appreciation for your country.
If given a choice of whether to say the Pledge of Allegiance, I think students should definitly choose to honor the flag and what it stands for. Some people, as Rachel mentioned, might think that the words "under God" which according to the article were later added to the Pledge, may be offensive to some. I don't think it is offensive at all; the Pledge says "one NATION under God" - it doesn't say one God so whatever your religeon is or whoever your God is, this line in the Pledge should not be offensive. Besides, 95% of the people in the U.S. believe in God (I read that in an on line article). Of course our first amendment does give us the right to refuse to honor the flag (although I think true Americans should always honor the flag). As Kelsey said, those who do not want to say the pledge should be quiet and respectful of those who do.

MarisaP♥ said...

I belive that students should be obligated to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. You may not agree with everything the U.S. government does but men and women have DIED for your country and for your freedom and that is what the American flag stands for - freedom. By standing and saluting the flag, saying the Pledge of Allegiance or singing the national anthem you are showing respect and appreciation for your country.
If given a choice of whether to say the Pledge of Allegiance, I think students should definitly choose to honor the flag and what it stands for. Some people, as Rachel mentioned, might think that the words "under God" which according to the article were later added to the Pledge, may be offensive to some. I don't think it is offensive at all; the Pledge says "one NATION under God" - it doesn't say one God so whatever your religeon is or whoever your God is, this line in the Pledge should not be offensive. Besides, 95% of the people in the U.S. believe in God (I read that in an on line article). Of course our first amendment does give us the right to refuse to honor the flag (although I think true Americans should always honor the flag). As Kelsey said, those who do not want to say the pledge should be quiet and respectful of those who do.

pat said...

I think that all kids should say the pledge of allegiance. The reason why I think this is because its not really a big deal, its not a big deal because you only have to stand up for maybe a minute and its respectful to your country. I agree with Cory when he said “They said we are over here fighting for our country and children can't even stand up, put their hand over their heart, and say the pledge of allegiance.” I liked how they said this because the soldiers who are fighting for are country should have a little respect at least for risking their lives.

Jessica G-S. said...

It is difficult to say what i think of this matter. More or less i think that students should be obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance, but schools should take the time to teach them the purpose and meaning of the Pledge first. It is a tradition to say the Pledge. It shows that you respect your country and it's people. However saying it would be useless if you have no idea what it means. Properly educating kids on it would help them to better understand why they say it. Yet, if students were ever given the option to say it or not, i think they should only say it if they mean it and understand it. Otherwise it would be pointless. I also wouldn't want someone to say it if they don't agree with it. Overall, it is a hard decision to make.

Jake said...

I think students should have the option to say the pledge because if they are not saying the pledge they at least have their hand to their heart which is still supporting the flag. If you choose to say the pledge your honoring the men and woman fighting in the war. Other than that i have nothing else to say about the pledge.

Ryan B said...

I believe that students should be required to say the pledge. We live in the United States of America, it should be mandatory to say the pledge. It is honoring the lives lost in battles fought throughout American history. It is stating the greatness of our country. It is not a big deal, as Pat stated. So what if you have to stand up for a minute and honor the country you live in? This is why I think saying the pledge should be mandatory.