Monday, November 9, 2009

2009 Tea Parties

Tea parties didn't stop in 1773. In the past few months, people have formed a political party called the Tea Party and staged tea party rallies across the country. For this week's blog, follow these steps:

Remember, you need to write at least 8 full sentences for full credit. Starting this week, you will get extra credit for referring constructively to another student's comment.

78 comments:

Austyn.F said...

I think the tea party rallies are not as serious as they were in 1773. I think this because there was no guns or shoot outs out of the ordinary. The Boston tea party was a big cause for the American Revolutionary war. In are presant time the rallies that are happenning certainly would never casue a war espically through all the struggle america is in at the moment, but I have hope for our country.

RJ H. said...

I don't think that the 2009 rallies are anything like they were back then. Now there aren't guns or multiple killings. We don't have really horrible reasons to fight like them after the boston tea party so we aren't as furious as they were. The reasons we fight are sometimes really dumb.

Jordan W. said...

I don't think the rallies are really the same as the tea party in 1773. The turnout for the Houston tea party was much bigger then the Boston Tea Party.Also both parties are for different issues. However both however are for following the constitution. However the rally in Portland was similar about taxes. The Boston Tea Party seems to have encouraged a lot of tea parties about some other issues.

Serena M said...

I don't think that the rally's are a very good idea because there are so many people that go. Also that they are going to so many places. In the Oregon article they said that they were going to other places too. But what suprised me is that some busniesses in Oregon pay only 10 dollars a year in taxes, when other people pay so much more! Also some people have a 70% tax rate!! They are diffrent because it seems like there is alot more people. Also That they are the same because they deal with alot of the same issues. Like taxes and things of the same issue.

Katie T. said...

I am not sure but I agree the rallies were not as physical back at the Boston Tea Party. Today people are sharing their opinons by protsting using signs.The people who are protesting are very mad, like some people are so mad they just make fun of others mostly like obama.Rallies can get very annoying and to much!but on the other hand they are sharing their opinons but can't there be a different way to share your opinon? I think the different way should writing letters to government officals.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alli D. said...

I don't think the rallies now are as bad as the Boston Tea Party. Even though more people showed up to these ones, it wasn't as bad. People threw some tea bags across the fence at the White House wearing T-shirts and chanting. But they didn't dress up as Mohawk Indians and dump A LOT of tea out of the boat into the ocean. This rally and the Boston Tea Party are about the same thing: the taxing of tea. But the Boston Tea Party was a lot worse than this. They basicially dumped out millions of dollars worth of tea. I think the poeple in the rally now have a right to be mad. They don't want to have to pay tax on tea. Tax is already on enough things, soda, smokes, ect. Even though it could help our healthcare it shouldn't be taxed. Let the people have a break.

Hannah R. said...

I think that the rallies are like the Boston Tea Party, but aren’t as violent. In 1773 there was throwing of the Tea and dressing up as Mohawk Indians and sending someone home naked. This rally didn’t have any of that but showed how it relates back to 1773. These rallies had more people and still made a difference like the Boston Tea Party did over thirty years ago. The Boston Tea Party and these rallies are the same because they’re both fighting for taxes that are being raised by the government. Also some people dressed up to show how much taxes are weighing them down; just like the Sons of Liberty did as Indians. Things that are different are that there are women at this rally and many more people from different towns and states too. Another thing that is different is that they’re fighting for regular taxes, not tea taxes. I agree with Austyn F; when he said that these rallies aren’t going to get us into a fight but people really mean what they say at these rallies, and what they’re fighting for.

Bryar.G said...

I think the rallies that are happening now are not as bad as the Boston Tea Party in 1773. But both rallies were for the same cause the rise in taxes that our government seems to keep raising. It's hard enough for some families to get by. if we don't take a stand and say enough is enough we will be taxed on everything. Where is the relief for the people. The difference between the two rallies is the Boston Tea Party actually threw tea into the water. Where the people now are just protesting against taxes being raised and Boston was actually fighting for tax on tea. Today it's about our rights to have a say. I agree with Austyn the rallies were worse in 1773 since guns were involved then.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam I said...

I think that is bad because they are taking our hard eared money that we make and then the goverment is taking a big chunk out of our pay checks. One thing that they did have in common is that the peole are speacking out the the government and in 1773 they were speaking out to Britan. But in 1773 they were more cruel to the peole they shot at them with guns and there was a bug fist fight. Now they are not fighting with there hands but wiuth there vocies. I thnk that goverment shouldnt be taking our hard earned money that we make to pay for the things that we are trying to spend on the things that we need to live but the goverment is using that money to pay for the milatary. When they should be using there money the right way they shouldnt be taking more of our money to pay for there mistakes.

Mike L said...

I think that the Boston Tea Party and the “Tea Parties” we have happening now are similar in one way. They are similar because both times the people felt that the government had too much power and we are being taxed too much. The Boston Tea Party and the “Tea Parties” now are different because the articles and the video show many people holding signs and protesters are chanting and speaking at podiums. At the Boston Tea Party, colonists dressed up like Indians and dropped out crates of tea into Boston Harbor. It was done in secret and today people are marching and trying to be heard. Another big difference in the tea parties was that in the colonist’s time, the major argument was that you can’t tax without representation, while today we have representatives in Congress. The argument today is that people don’t want the government to run the health care programs because it will cost the tax payers too much. I believe that tax rallies are a great way for people to get their point across peacefully. We have the right in this country of free speech. I also agree with Austyn F. that these rallies won’t cause a war like they did in the 1700’s.

Quinn O said...

I think the 2009 tea party rallies are trying to show the world that they are mad and will make a difference. The colonists went forward and made a difference that not only changed that time period but ares also. I think its great that they are protesting. I think that you can tell that it is making a difference because it is not just happening in one place its going on all over. Plus the whole thin is getting national attention. The similarities between these two protests is that they are both protesting for either lower taxes or no taxes at all. One of the differences is that the actual Boston Tea Party was just supposed to demolish one tax compared to the tea parties that we are having now which are trying to lower numerous taxes. Another difference is that there is a lot more people in the parties now then before. It said that there were some 5,000 in the Houston tea party. Overall I like what they are doing with these tea parties. The people are trying to fight the government just like they were doing with the colonists and the British government. Everybody is fighting back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Justin M. said...

I think that the people who are doing them are just protesting against what they don't believe in. I think the people tat are saying that they are tea parties are just trying to find something to compare it to.
I think that there are some similarities about the two event and they are. That bot of the groups were protesting against something they don't believe in. They are also felt that he government had two much power and were being taxed to much. Some things that i think are different are the time periods. Some other differences are that they were different people and were fighting for similar but different causes.These are some of the things that i thought about 2009's tea parties

Dana W. =) said...

First of all, I can’t believe that they still call these things tea parties! Very interesting. Anyway, I think that the tea parties today are just another way to get Obama to change his mind about something. Apparently, mob psychology is becoming more popular every year! But, I must admit, if it’s effective, I’m not complaining.

These tea parties have several things in common with the old-fashioned type that took the term “tea party” literally. In other words, I somewhat agree with Mike L. As he said, ”They are similar because both times the people felt that the government had too much power and we are being taxed too much.” He’s right, the government is making decisions without consulting the good people of the States, proving that it is way too powerful. Second, they both involve a giant mob that is thinking the exact same thing at the exact same time. Third, they both are trying to make a point, which I believe is very important, especially in times like these. I was one of ten people (roughly, don’t hold me against that number) who actually took the extra credit seriously and went to the Chris Murphy speech in September. In my opinion, Chris Murphy didn’t have any REAL plans because he was saying the exact same thing over and over and over again! He nearly fell over when he started getting complaints from the witnesses! So, if the tea parties work, then keep having them!

Okay, now for the differences. There aren’t any major differences in the two events, just minor ones. One is that the colonists were protesting the tea tax in the 1700’s, and we’re protesting health care. Really, they both involve the government and what it’s choosing to do, so they’re not that different. Next, the colonists actually went as far as sabotaging ships and dumping “n” boxes of tea into the Boston Harbor. We, on the other hand, are just marching around towns with signs and yelling insults at Obama and Congress. We haven’t gone so far as knocking on the door to the White House. That would be VERY interesting.

And now, a note on the new extra credit thing: *Ahem* HEAR HEAR!!! Thank you. =D

Tia M said...

The Tea Parties that are happening today are different from the ones happening today. There are similarities as well. In Boston in 1773, the Sons of Liberty dressed up like Mohawk Indians and dumped tea from Britain into the Boston Harbor to show Britain that they weren't going to be pushed around anymore. The "Tea Parties" today are focused on the same cause, but tea isn't being dumped into the Long Island Sound. Today people who ralley at the tea parties are trying to show the government that we aren't going to be pushed around anymore. Many people in this country are not happy with our government and just like in 1773, the people are taking a stand. Like Hannah R said, the rallies aren't as violent, but it doesn't mean that they won't be. In 1773, that was a message sent to the King. The colonists were not going to be pushed around anylonger, and they were going to make sure Britain knew it. The people who are in the "Tea Parties" today are sending the same message. They are letting the government know that they can't and they won't push us around. I don agree with the rallies. I think that it's about time that we send our government a message that we, as a country, are not going to stand around and watch. People are trying to make a change, and many are starting to join these rallies. Like in the video that showed rallies in Providence, RI and Washington, DC, a women stated that there are a lot of people in this country that don't agree with what the government is doing and that its time to make a change.

Emily C. said...

I agree with Dana and Mike L. that the tea party protests of today are like the 1773 Tea Party. Both groups are protesting against high taxes and too much government power. The differences are that in 1773 the colonists were protesting that they were being taxed by the King of England but had no say in how or why they were being taxed. Today’s protesters feel that our government is spending too much money and people are being taxed too much to pay for it. They think our representatives in government have stopped listening to the people they are supposed to represent. I think that the protesters have a right to protest because it is our Constitutional right to speak out against our government if we disagree with something. But, I also think people need to be patient and listen to what government has to say. By doing this, we can prevent the violence that happened in 1773.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chase D said...

I think these 2009 tea parties are simply wrong. I say this because the country needs people paying tax. The economy is already in a bad state. Just imagine if we didn’t have tax there would be absolutely no money for anything. These rallies’s compare to the Boston tea party because they are both protesters. The rallies are also bath fighting taxes. They are different because the modern protests are publicized. That is different because the Boston tea was done in the night secretly.

Taylor We. said...

I think that these Tea Parties are a very good thing. This is because it shows that the people all over America are speaking up about their opinion not just letting the government push them around. I agree with Emily C when she said that its everyone’s constitutional right to protest and speak out against our government. I mean imagine if that wasn’t part of the constitution? Everyone would always have to do whatever the government wanted him or her to do because they wouldn’t be able to speak out and change anything. My thought is that these rallies are a good thing because who knows it might help change all the tax problems. Some similarities between the 2009 Tea Parties and the Boston Tea Party are that both happenings were about the taxes in America. Only that the Boston Tea Party was about the tax on tea and these tea parties are about all different taxes. Also, referring to what Quinn said for a difference, is that there are much more people protesting about taxes today then in 1773. I think that this is because more people are ok with speaking there mind without getting in trouble other then back then were the colonists were afraid they would get into trouble saying what they thought was right.

Clara W said...

I think both kinds of tea parties are very effective. However, I don’t think I would join one unless I really disagreed with government plans. I agree more with the modern kind of tea party because they aren’t as violent as the one in 1773. Both kinds of tea parties prove a very distinct point. I agree with Mike L when he said that people felt that the government was too powerful. In both situations, people were not getting a say in the government. The colonists dumped tea into the harbor because they did not have a representative in the government. Now, the people think that the government is not listening to them. The other similarities are that both times, a large group of people are protesting against what they think is unfair taxation. A difference is that the purpose of the modern tea parties is kind of a blend between paying too much for taxes and disagreement about the health care bills. Also, I think it is highly unlikely that the government will impose its own “Intolerable Acts” as punishment for the modern tea parties. There are both similarities and differences between the tea parties. I think that if the tea parties are effective in improving the government the way people want it, they should keep happening.

Cameron C-I said...

I don't think think the tea parties today are nearly as bad as they were 1773. I do think that throwing the bags of tea over the fence was a bit over the top. But they did what they thought was right. I personally would never join a tea party unless I really thought that the government was really trying to rob us of our money or something of the sort. They are similar in the way that they are forming groups to change the way the government does things, but then again they are different in the way that today there is a lot more security then there was in 1773. Therefore it is harder for people like the president Barack Obama to be in danger of possibly getting potentialy harmed.

Kim V said...

I definetly think that the Tea Party Rallies of 2009 aren't the same as the one back in 1773. The current tea parties have thousands of people attending because they want to make a difference. It is clear that they feel (like what Micheal said) that the government has too much power and so we are being overly taxed. In the article about the Houston Tea Party rally, a quote says taxes are going up because we are paying for health care of illegal citizens. Also, there are some people who don't want health care. They say, "We've got a government that doesn't care about you or me. It cares about power, and control."
I think these tea parties are a good thing because people are speaking up and giving the government a piece of mind. In, the Boston Tea Party Also, Clara makes a good point that in both situations the people were not getting a say in the government. In 1773, colonist got so angry that they couldn't vote for a representative. Now the government doesn't seem to be listening to the people. So, as a result, the people are getting angry for some of the right reasons. They feel that if they have to pay taxes for health care if it is not their own, it shouldn't be included. One difference is that the Boston Tea Party occured because colonist loved their tea and felt that it should not be taxed at all!! But in the current tea parties, people are trying to lower several taxes. The tea parties of 2009 are not as violent, but either way both people were fighting for what they wanted, and not what the government had in mind.

Shaelyn R said...

These tea parties have a few things in common and a few differences. Some similarities are that both groups of people thought that the government had too much power and they were being taxed too much. So, they formed tea parties and gathered in groups to protest. An obvious difference is how the current tea parties are not dumping millions of dollars worth of tea into the Boston harbor. Now, the people just hold signs and chant mean stuff at Obama and congress, as Dana said. Back in the 1700s, the people were protesting the tea tax and today people are protesting health care. I don’t agree with the 2009 protesting and I don’t disagree with it either though. Because, I don’t think that you really need to protest and form groups that yell insults and eventually get dangerous. But I think that it is good how they are trying to make a difference in the world. A better way to make a difference is to be better informed about the issue and then make the difference based on knowledge and less anger. They should just be more peaceful.

kyle g said...

I don't think the rallies know are really the same as the Bosten Tea Party in 1773. I think this because the people are not as phisical. I also think this because it has nothing to do with real tea. The ways it is the same is because they ate still mad at the goverment and are protesting. So that is the only reason that I would think that they where the same and that have a lot of the same isues with taxes but there is no real tea involved and there is none being dumped in the water. Also the people are not dresed up as Indians. There is many diferances in the tea parties. There is also a lot of the same things involved.

Nathan O. said...

I agree with Taylor We. These tea parties let the people of the U.S speak up and have a say in government. People get to express their feelings towards political issues and taxes. These tea parties are similar to the ones back in the 1700's. For one, they both tried to get the opposing side to see their case. The people thought that the government wasn't listening to their opinions. Also, both issues were about taxes. The tea parties are different because the ones in the 1700's were a long time ago. Also, back then, they actually dumped tea off boats, but now, people just protest.

Brittany S said...

I think that the rallies are like the Boston tea party. In 1773 there was much more violence with people dressed up like the indians and dumping the tea out into the harbor. The people sent a man home naked becaue he was supposed to be helping but they saw him taking the tea for himself. This rally didn’t have any of that. These rallies had more people. The Boston Tea Party and these rallies are the same because they’re both fighting for taxes.One thing that is different between the rallies and the tea party is that they’re fighting for regular taxes, not tea taxes. so the rallie and the tea party are alike.

Brittany S said...

I think that the rallies are like the Boston tea party. In 1773 there was much more violence with people dressed up like the indians and dumping the tea out into the harbor. The people sent a man home naked becaue he was supposed to be helping but they saw him taking the tea for himself. This rally didn’t have any of that. These rallies had more people. The Boston Tea Party and these rallies are the same because they’re both fighting for taxes.One thing that is different between the rallies and the tea party is that they’re fighting for regular taxes, not tea taxes. so the rallie and the tea party are alike.

Brittany S said...

I think that the rallies are like the Boston tea party. In 1773 there was much more violence with people dressed up like the indians and dumping the tea out into the harbor. The people sent a man home naked becaue he was supposed to be helping but they saw him taking the tea for himself. This rally didn’t have any of that. These rallies had more people. The Boston Tea Party and these rallies are the same because they’re both fighting for taxes.One thing that is different between the rallies and the tea party is that they’re fighting for regular taxes, not tea taxes. so the rallie and the tea party are alike.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kailee M :D said...

I think that the tea rally that is happening in the United States right now is like the Boston Tea Party. They are like the event that occurred in 1773, but not as bad. During the Boston Tea Party, the Sons of Liberty, disguised themselves as Mohawk Indians, but the rally that is happening now only related to what happened in 1773. The rally that happened now had more people. The Boston Tea Party and the tea rally that happened right now both made differences to our country. At the rally in this time period, women took part in the event and in 1773 only the Sons of Liberty took part. The event in 2009 happened 236 years after the Boston Tea Party and surprisingly it made a difference when the idea was along the same line of the Boston Tea Party. The rally that happened this year made a difference like the Boston Tea Party, but the Boston Tea Party was about tea taxes and the rally of 2009 happened because of all of the taxes. This is what I think about the Boston Tea Party and the rally of 2009.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tommy M. said...

I think that the people have a right to have these “Tea Parties” and that they are correct in doing so. I think that the government is trying to take too much control and that the people don’t want that. For example, this health care bill. In many other countries, this idea is failing and not working out too well. Why damage something that’s already working well in the U.S?

I also agree with Dana W. and Mike L. They are similar because both times the people felt that the government had too much power and we are being taxed too much. I also think that tea parties are ways for citizens to express and tell the government what they’re feeling about government laws and taxing. The government is getting too much power and we as citizens should be working to end that!

Aaron.Laranetto said...

I do not at all think that the tea party rallies know are anywhere as dangerous as they were back in the 1770's. I belive this becuase back in the time of the boston massacre all the people took this serioulsy and know some people take it as a joke. I mean know people are throwing tea bags and that is sopposed to be a dangerous threat? Back in the 1770's, people through rocks and dangerous things that could harm people. In conclusion to what austyn said, people shot guns back then and started wars about the taxes and the governemnt decisons, know people don't bring guns to these mettings and people don't want to start wars becuase of this.

Summer M. said...

I think that the 2009 tea party rallies are actually catching peoples attention. I think that they are helping, and could do some good. Some similarities to the one in 1773 is that the groups are fairly large, for example the group in Houston had more than 10,00 people. Another similarity is that they are protesting some kind of tax, or an issue evolving money, the initial Boston Tea Party has to do with a tax on tea, one example for the 2009 Portland Oregon is that they are protesting for lower taxes. One more similarity is that in the Portland protest they dressed up too, they felt so strongly about it that they some were dressed in a Confederate uniform. A difference is that they protesters today aren't boarding ships and sneaking out, they are in public. Another difference is that they aren't doing anything physical, they are protesting in a civil way and aren't wasting millions of dollars.

Summer M. said...

I think that the 2009 tea party rallies are actually catching peoples attention. I think that they are helping, and could do some good. Some similarities to the one in 1773 is that the groups are fairly large, for example the group in Houston had more than 10,00 people. Another similarity is that they are protesting some kind of tax, or an issue evolving money, the initial Boston Tea Party has to do with a tax on tea, one example for the 2009 Portland Oregon is that they are protesting for lower taxes. One more similarity is that in the Portland protest they dressed up too, they felt so strongly about it that they some were dressed in a Confederate uniform. A difference is that they protesters today aren't boarding ships and sneaking out, they are in public. Another difference is that they aren't doing anything physical, they are protesting in a civil way and aren't wasting millions of dollars.

Kayley B said...

I think the tea party rallies are a lot like the Boston tea party. Many people are protesting on taxes. People in the 1700's thought that Britain had too much control over America. Now people think government has too much power and control over Americans. Also, some people think the Constitution is being violated. Some people have even dressed up like the colonists to show how they feel about taxes. The differences are in the 1700's, people thought Britain did not have the right to tax tea and other items without representatives. Now, people are protesting about taxes on things like health care. Some people don't like how high the taxes are. I agree with Summer that the protests can help to show the government what they feel about the taxes.

Josephine P said...

I believe that the tea parties today and the tea party in 1773 are similar in many ways, but different too. In both cases, the people are rising up against the government because of taxes. Also, they both include riots and gatherings, the people saying that they aren't going to be pushed around any more. The people in both cases are using tea to prove their point.

There are plenty differences though. For one, people today aren't sneaking aboard ships to dump tea in the Long Island Sound. But, tea is being used differently in each case. Back then, in 1773, the colonists didn't think the British had the right to tax the tea, because they didn't have a representatives in Parliament. The Sons of Liberty dumped millions of dollars worth of tea in to the harbor. When the people in the tea parties call themselves tea parties, they aren't referring that they dump tea, but that they believe that what the colonist did was right, taking a huge risk to show the British what they thought. However, British colonists were angry about no taxation without representation, while today, we are angry about high taxes and health reform. With the cases of the tea party in 1773, they did it because tea was causing most of the problems, and today, we carry around tea as a symbol.

I really can't say that I agree or disagree with the tea partiers. Sure, they are taking responsibility on what they think is right, but chucking tea at the White House? They have good reason to be angry about the government, but the could do it in a more peaceful way, this is why people send in petitions. However, the symbol of tea is sort of nice, because it shows that people still remember the Boston Tea Party. I also agree with Dana when she said " We, on the other hand, are just marching around towns with signs and yelling insults at Obama and Congress. ". Maybe we should try a new approach.

Mackenzie D said...

I think that the tea parties from 2009 arent the same as the tea parties in 1773. I think this because the 2009 tea parties there are a thousands of people that attend because they really want to make a difference. The government is so powerful that they are pover taxing and the people want to change that. These tea parties are good because these people are telling the government what they believe what would help them. Also since the government is getting a bunch of new ideas they might take some that they would believe that would work too. In 1773 colonists were getting angry because they could tax without a representatives. These tea parties now are not as violent as the tea parties in 1773.

Drew H said...

I don't think the rallies today were as big as back then. Now there aren't guns involved and there aren't as many killings. We never have bad reasons to fight like that after the Boston Tea Party. Today there are thousands of people attending to make a difference.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebekah G. said...

In 1773, the colonists were mad about "taxation without representation,” that’s why they had the Boston tea party, today the “tea parties” are happening because people are upset that the government is mishandling are taxes. For example like with the amount of money used for the “stimulus package.” So I think one similarity is that people are still protesting against the government, just like in 1773. The colonist protested against parliament for not letting them have representatives. The rallies are still about taxes. Witch is also just like in 1773. The difference is now we do have representatives, we just don’t like what the government is using are taxes for. Sometimes what the Gov. does with are taxes makes are taxes go up, witch also gets people mad. So the rallies I would say are not that similar to those of today but they are still generally about taxes. I also agree with Drew, the rallies aren’t violent like they were in 1773, but the Boston Tea party wasn’t violent, witch is another similarity to the ones that happen today. I also think that the “Tea parties” could get violent if they keep going on and also if people continue to get mad by what the Government does.

Dylan F said...

I myself agree with Dana’s statement. The tea party protests of today are like the 1773 Tea Party. Both Tea Parties of current times and the Tea Party of 1773 are basically protesting against high taxes and too much government power. The differences are that in 1773 the colonists were protesting that they were being taxed by the King of England but also have no say in the government system unlike the British Citizens who happened to live in England. Today’s protesters feel that there shouldn’t be large taxes on daily luxuries like alcohol or cigarettes at least in some cases. They think our representatives in government have stopped listening to the citizens of America. I think that the protesters have a right to protest because it is our Constitutional right to speak out against our government if we disagree with something. But, I also believe the citizens of America should also be patient and allow the government to have say in how they’re running the country. By doing this we can prevent the violence that happened previously in the Tea Party of 1773.

Katie S. said...

I have to say that I find it hard to agree with Dylan and Dana, but also hard to disagree. The tea parties are similar and different. Right now, we're protesting against taxes made by congress. The Colonists were protesting taxes made by Parliament and the King. But these are more verbal tea parties. Besides one case there is nobody throwing tea around. I see though, that both are making big statements. I can't help but wonder which will make the bigger difference in history. Using knowledge from the Boston Tea Party, which was a contribution to the Revolution, might that foreshadow some upcoming event?

Amy D said...

I would say that all of these cases are very similar. In all cases it's about people who dont like the taxes. The people all seem to say that the government is violating the Constitution. They simply decided to make a difference and to just get involved. It seemed that the only way to prove their point in each of the tea party cases was to get together, to rally, and to stand up for what they belive in and do something that might actually get the governments attention. People are concerned what is happeneding and they want the country to be headed in the right direction in the 2009 cases. The people want to contribute to the future of the country. It is similar because they both felt to get their point acress they had to start something that wasn't expected, lke dumping tea over, whether it was into the harbor, or onto the prezident's lawn. The happenings in 2009 are different from the 1773 because there have been changes in our government and they people today didn't have to resort to dressing up like native americans and sneaking onto a boat to dump over all they tea they could, today they wanted to stand up and shaw they were angry with the taxes and they were able to do this by getting thousands of people together and fight. All cases showed anger in the people, yet each in different ways. I completely think that the peope do have a right to show what they are thinking and eally to contribute to the future of the country and if that is the way they felt they needed to show it then so be it.

Will F. said...

I feel the tea party rallies nowadays aren't like the Boston Tea Party from 1773. At the Boston Tea Party colonists dressed as indians, Europes enemy, and raided a ship that was carrying the tea to be sold. They then proceded to dump the tea into the water. I also nearly forgot to mention they dumped millions in tea. At the rallies today the most they did was wave signs carrying their opinons and throw a bag of tea over the fence of the White House.
The Boston Tea Party was completely about the tax on tea. Tea parties today are about all the taxes. Though they were also the same because they both involved three factors. The goverment , the people and the taxes. Put them all together and you get the tea parties. I feel the tea parties today are only a beggining, the Boston Tea party contributed to the revolution and we all know the peoples protests aren't just going to die down. If the tea parties in 1773 led to a revolution what do you think ours will lead to?

Kelsey H.♥ said...

Well, what do I think about the 2009 tea party rallies? I think that people have a right to rally into these so called “tea parties”. I agree with Clara when she says that they certainly do make a distinct point. I also agree with her when it comes to joining one. I am still young, and I have a bit of time to think about this kind of stuff. I mean I am only thirteen! A girl only can do so much. :P

The Boston Tea Party in 1773 was a bit more violent than the ones in 2009, yet will the voices from the 2009 rallies be heard by the government? It seems that the rallies are making improvement, and I don’t think that they are causing any harm. It is pretty obvious that the people gathering at these rallies believe government is taking too much control, and they DO NOT like that. People gathered at these “tea parties” all over the country because they want to make sure that their voice is heard loud and clear. The difference between the tea parties in 2009 and the one in 1773 is that colonists gathered ONCE to dump tea into the harbor. The tea parties that occurred over the course of a few months gather more than once, all over the US, to protest against taxes. The fact that the colonists disguised themselves as Mohawk Indians is just a bit of a difference from the tea parties in 2009 too. ;D

I agree with Dana, Mike L, and all the other people that agreed with them. “They are similar because both times the people felt that the government had too much power and we are being taxed too much.” (That is a direct quote from Dana & Mike L’s responses). They are right. It seems unjust that government is taxing us with lots of dollar signs. Beside that similarity, they both involve people proving a point, and an important one for that matter. Also, like Dana says, “they both involve a giant mob that is thinking the exact same thing at the exact same time.”

On a final note, I would like to say that I believe what the government is doing (being oh-so controlling) is wrong, and that it’s time that we put a stop to it.

PS.
Everyone had great responses;
Eh hem: Dana & Mike especially. :D
& I am really sorry that this is being posted so late.

Larissa WAlsh said...

I think that the "Tea Parties" nowadays are interesting. This is because people get really into it. For example, in Oregon a girl dressed up in a Confederate uniform when she was in an anti-tax rally. I think that some differences between the 1773 Boston Tea Party and tea parties happening nowadays are that nowadays people bring signs and microphones and say what they think should be changed.They all get together and walk down streets showing there signs and their opinions for everybody to see. There way of showing that they were mad about taxation was done physically. At the Boston Tea Party the people that were mad with the tax on tea actually dressed up as Indians and went to the boats and dumped the tea. Some similarities are that the rallies are still about taxes.I agree with Rebekah that these "tea parties" that are happening nowadays are because in 1773, the colonists were mad about "taxation without representation,” that’s why they had the Boston tea party, today the “tea parties” are happening because people are upset that the government is mishandling are money that we pay for taxes. Also the rallies aren’t as violent like they were in 1773.

Unknown said...

I think that the Boston tea party of 1773 and the 2009 houston ea party are the similar. There protesting taxes in America, and there both were a large group of people fighting for there belifes. But i do think that the people of 1773 were alot more pationet about it, or rasional. They threw all the tea in to the harbor. Then sent people home nude in december if they took any. I dont think people now days would throw tea in the ocean. Espescialy not send people home naked. The rallies were more violent and rasional back then.

K@+!3 H0w@ed :D said...

I think the present day tea party demonstrations are not as serious as they were in 1773, when the original Boston Tea Party took place. I think this because there are no guns or shoot outs that happened, so it was less violent. The Boston Tea Party was a big cause for the American Revolutionary War, because the American colonists didn’t want to pay British taxes anymore. In our present time the rallies that are happening certainly would never causing a war especially through the entire struggle America is in at the moment. I have hope for our country, and present day TEA parties, “Taxed Enough Already,” shows that people don’t want to pay that many more taxes. Maybe the government can set up a system that helps generate more money themselves, rather than depending on the American public, because this will eventually make our country weaker if more people get taxed.

Tristan M said...

I think the tea partys back in 1773 were more eficant because they were more serious.I think this because they dumped 340 boxs of tea into the boston harbor just to send a message to stop taxing. They only did this because they did not have a say in government. It was only the british officals. The colonists didn't have a vote to send somebody to parliment to stand up for them.This was not fair and they didnt know how they could be taxed with out say in the government. Therefore i think the tea partys back in the 1700's did more then they do these days.

Mairead R. said...

These tea parties have a some things in common and a some differences. Some similarities are that both groups of people thought that the government had too much power and they were being taxed too much. So then they formed tea parties and gathered in groups to protest. Another difference is how the current tea parties are not dumping millions of dollars worth of tea into the Boston harbor. Now the people just hold signs and chant mean things at Obama and congress. Back in the 1700s, the people were protesting the tea tax and today people are protesting health care and other issues. I don’t agree with the protesting, but i also dont disagree.I don’t think that you really need to protest your really just wasting your time. But at least they are trying. A better way to make a difference is to be better informed about the issue and then make the difference based on information they have so it doesnt blow up in their face later on and with less anger.

ken b said...

i beleve the tea partys today arnt focused on dumping tea in to a harbor or dreeing up as indans. today people are focosed on showing the goverment that they want change.in my perspective it is not even about teataxes or dressing up. now its about only taxes. i agree taxes are out of hand in the usa today.

Renata M. said...

I don't think the rallies now are as terrible as the Boston Tea Party. Even though more people showed up, it wasn't as bad. People threw some tea bags across the fence at the White House, chanting. But they didn't dress up as Mohawk Indians and dump out a ton of tea out of the boat and into the ocean. This rally and the Boston Tea Party are about the same thing because of the taxing of tea. The Boston Tea Party was a lot harsher than this. They dumped out millions of dollars worth of tea. I think the people in the rally now have a right to be terribly angry. They don't want to have to pay tax on tea. Tax is already on enough things, cigarettes, soda ECT. Even though it could help our healthcare it shouldn't be taxed. They should let the people just have a break.

Anastazia O said...

I think that the tea parties now are more effective than the Boston Tea Party because these new tea parties aren't wasting any money becaus at the Boston Tea Party, the colonists eventually had to pay for all of the tea that they dumped into the harbor. I agree with Taylor Weston when she said that the tea parties show that Americans are speaking their mind and not letting the government do whatever they want. One similarity between the Boston Tea Party and the 2009 tea parties is that both were about American citizens being upset over taxes. But, these tea parities are about all different kinds of taxes and not only a tax on tea. Another difference is that the colonists involved in the Boston Tea Party felt like they needed to protect themselves bu dressing up as Indians where now, the people fell like they are more free to express their opinion.

Melissa S said...

I think the more recent tea parties were more effective because back when there were original tea paarties, yeah the colonists got the message through but all of the tea they dumped had to eventually payed off by the colonists. So basically, the money that they were fighting to save was actually spent paying for the tea that was dumped. Now, the tea parties are more like protests. They are big groups of people getting together to protest. Now, they really dont take it to very dramatic levels, like dressing up as indians or dumping tea off ships in a harbor. I personally think that if people care enoughabout something and want to spend the time to fight for it , then good for them. I also think that these tea parties are much safer than the one in 1773, which is mostly because of what the law says they can or cannot do. Both of these parties are showing that if Americans dont believe that the government is doing is right they will fight for it whether its 1773 or 2009.

zach n said...

what i think of the 2009 rallys are that they are a really good idea because, people are showing who or what they really want. and it is also a way for them to protests. now i think that this is a really good idea. but the best thing is that they can also start to say there side of there part of there story kinda. and of coarse once again this is a really good idea in my point of view.

Amanda P. said...

The 2009 tea party rallies really show the frustration that people are feeling in these times because of the economy and the amount of money the government is spending. The rallies prove to the government that even though they think taxing the people and putting that money towards the health care reform is just wonderful, not everyone thinks that. The health care reform is a good idea but the amount of money needed to make it work is not. The rallies are proving this because people of all ages are coming out to protest. If we are to be taxed, our money should come back to benefit us not people who are barely paying taxes. Also the rallies are protesting taxes because they are too high without any extra benefits for paying them. The tea parties around the U.S.A are not trying to tell the government they are doing a bad job, just that they need to change their ways a little so they get the support of the people.
The new tea parties are similar to the 1700 tea party because in each people are taking action to change what they disagree with. People do not like the taxes they are being forced to pay in today’s word, but back when the old tea party was taking place people were angry because of the tea act. Also these events are different because in the 1700s the protests were more physical. People dumped tea over the sides of boats dressed as Indians while in today’s world the protests are peaceful. People come out only to march and to speak to their fellow protestors. Even though these events are different they both are trying to make our country a better place.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that after I read the articles and watched the video I wasn’t just on the side of the protesters. I also can see why the government is doing this. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I am definitely on the side of the protesters but then again the government does have reasons as to why they are putting taxes on such things. For cigarettes, they are definitely not good for people. By taxing the cigarettes the government is helping to stop people from smoking and contributing to the various health problems. As for the tax on soda there is a tax on the beverage and the bottle. By taxing the bottle it is better for the environment and for the actual soda they are raising money for the state. Recently I read an article about how Obama is using the money he receives for various packages that will help our country if there is ever a need to use them.
Then again, our economy definitely isn’t in good enough shape to be weighed down by all these taxes. The taxes can also stop making people buy from the various companies and the company owners that rely on the money the company makes can go bankrupt and it will just add to the horrible economy. The big thing that everyone is trying to say from all this is that they just can’t afford the taxes. They’re scared for the future and they don’t want to starve and become homeless.
A similarity that these tea parties have with the Boston tea party is that during both events the people are definitely showing that they want the government to stop with the taxes. A difference is that this time people didn’t dress up as Indians. Instead they just paraded down some blocks on the street. It’s easy to just state that what the government is doing is completely wrong after reading the articles and watching the video but I think you have to stop and think about the situation from the governments point of view. There’s A LOT of problems in the U.S. and I would hate to be Obama right now. XD

Briana A said...

The tea party rallies really show the anger and frustration that the people where feeling. The people think that the government is going too far and that they should stop with the taxes. Some people might be okay with the taxes but many people are scared and think it wrong. People think that with the economy not doing to great, the government is spending too much money. I think that the rallies are helping the people who think that the government is going too far because its making them think. There were a lot of people at the rallies that’s a large group of protesters. The 2009 tea parties and the one in 1773 are similar in one way because they all had a lot of people who fought against it. In Huston, Texas there were about 10,000 people, and in Portland, Oregon there were hundreds of people. Also they both made differences to what they were fighting against, the Boston Tea Party was about tea taxes and so was the one that happened in 2009.

Taryssa K said...

These tea parties let the people of the U.S speak up and have a say in government. People get to express their feelings towards poltical issues and taxes. These tea parties are similar to the ones back in the 1730's. They both tried to get the opposing side to see their case. The people thought that the government wasn't listening to their opinons. Both issues were about taxes. The tea parties are different because the ones in the 1700's were a long time ago. And back in the oldend days they actually dumped tea off boats but now people just protest. The protests were alot more violent for example the botson tea party.

Sarah W said...

In my opinion the 2009 tea party rallies are a great idea! They’re getting people involved. Unlike many rallies these actually going somewhere and people are doing something to show they’re government they’re opinion. I probably won’t be attending one very soon; but perhaps when I am older and have more of a hand on position on this subject I might. This seems to be getting a response so I think that the tea party should live on. The similarities seem to have more to do with the purpose rather than the actual action of the crowds… and for that I am thankful! The crowds were gathering for a reason quite similar to the original tea party in 1773. They were there to show the government how they felt about the taxes and government control. While I don’t feel the government is as controlling as they were during the time of the Boston tea party I do feel that they do need to be roped back into reality a bit. They can’t just keep spending more and more money….America doesn’t debt. I am glad that the crowds are doing exactly what the colonists did. Back when the Boston Tea Party was upon the colonists the situation was a bit more serious to me and they didn’t really have any other way to show the government that they were fed up… the British didn’t want to listen they just wanted power. To me the government is acting more in the people’s favor but not as much as they should be. They should be reducing they’re spending a little so our taxes aren’t quite so hefty. In my opinion while the tea party are as wild as the tea party in 1773 they are effective and should be continued as a way for the people to have their voice. After all it is a government by the people and for the people.

Taylor White said...

I don't think the rallies are remotely close to being the same as the boston tea party in 1773. For starters, the outcome for the rally in texas was a lot worse than the one in 1773. And they vary in cause, too. Some are about the constitution, and the rally in Portland was about taxation. But for the most part, these rallies are about totally different things. The intention of the people is different in each rally. Although the Boston Tea Party encouraged a lot of tea parties, they weren't the same.

Zach M said...

I think the tea party rallies aren't as big as the 1773 Boston Tea Party. The people from the 1773 Boston Tea party were risking their lives to show that the British government was getting to powerful, but the tea parties today are only taking minor steps to show the government to lower its power. The government needs these taxes to pay for the troops over seas, the health care bill, and devastating natural disasters. Back to the first blog 2 months ago my opinion has now changed; the legal citizens of the United States should have the right to health care and the illegal citizens should have no rights. Also I think the name should changed to the tax parties, because there are no protests against tea but taxes and government's power.

Conner Fitzy said...

These tea parties are a good idea but I feel they are not put into effect enough to be taken seriously. I feel that if these tea party people would like to be taken more seriously they need more powerful statements, and to act in a way that shows that they are Americans and are angry with our taxes. They need to show that they are not afraid to excercise their rights to the fullest of their extent. Also they need more evidence of what is really happening to Americans everywhere they need proof of what could happen if they don’t stop these taxes not just their opinion of it. That’s all I think they need to improve on to be taken seriously. At this rate while Obama’s got environmental problems that have been proven, and wars going on in other countries, they are going to need a much stronger offense to be taken more seriously than a bunch of angry people, who disagree with what’s happening.

Al W. said...

I don't think many things are similar between these "tea parties" and the Boston Tea Party. The only clear similarity I see is that the protest revolve around taxes. Besides that, I think that these protests don't seem like they have many constuctive arguments. They seem to criticize a lot of things with catchy little jingles, but offer no alternative ideas or solutions to any of these problems. I also think claiming that these protests are nonpartisan is a joke. It seems to me to be about attacking Obama a lot, which seems okay if it has to do with taxes, because that's what the protests are about right? So I'm just clueless about the comparing Obama to Hitler section.

Meredith D. said...

I think that the recent “tea parties” are more effective. The Boston tea party did get the British colonists’ point across, but they ended up having to pay for the tea that they dumped into the harbor. The tea parties that happened a long time ago were much different than the ones that are happening now. However, both times, the people felt that the government has too much power, and they do not have enough say in anything. In the 1700’s, the people thought that the government had too much power over them when it came to taxes. To this day, people still think that the government has too much power and control over them. I think that these tea parties that are currently happening really show the fear, anger, and frustration that our country is going through because of taxes. The tea parties are a good idea, because they allow the people to show the government how they feel about taxes.

Mike C. said...

Test post

Sarah N. said...

I agree with Katie S., that the tea parties are similar and different. For example, they are similar, because they both protest against high tax rates that are some what unfair. But, they are different, because now, we have representitiives but, back then, They didn't have anyone representing them. I think the rallies are unnecessary, because we have representitives.

Sean Greene said...

I think the rallies back then were alot more active and serious. The problems now are not diffrent many are on the same things such as taxes.But now adays they are just protesting and not doing any thing like pouring tea into the harbor.But i also hink protest soulnd ever get out of hand so no one gets hurt.But mainly its is just verbal talking.

AJ said...

I think that the 2009 tea party rallies would like to be taken into better consideration. They need to show that there not afraid to express there rights. They also need alot more proof that shows that Americans are stuggling with the taxees. Although I think that the old Tea Parties were way less effective because they had to pay for all the tea that they dumped in the harbor. Plus all the taxes that they had to pay were horrible for the colonists.

W35 M33K3R said...

I would not join a medern day tea party because i would not want to destroy other peoples land and i would not want to have to be in congress meetings or any other meetings that i dont really know alot about. also i would not want to join a tea party because i think that it would be alot of work for a kid to do and i dont know enough about it to go and join something that complecated. I think that some people should have the right to be in a tea party if they know what they are doing and how to run and work in one.

Sammy P. said...

I think the rallies are like the Boston Tea Party but just not as violent. Colonists dressed up like Indians and dropped out crates of tea into Boston Harbor. It was done in secret and today people are marching and trying to be heard. The "Tea Parties" today are focused on the same cause, but tea isn't being dumped into the Long Island Sound. Today people who rally at the tea parties are trying to show the government that we aren't going to be pushed around anymore.

Kaycee L. said...

I think the Tea Parties are a good thing because it shows that the Americans aren't just letting the government push them around. Everyone would always have to do whatever the government wanted him or her to do because they wouldn’t be able to speak out and change anything. One similarity between the Boston Tea Party and the 2009 tea parties is that both were about American citizens being upset over taxes. These "tea parties" that are happening nowadays are because in 1773, the colonists were mad about "taxation without representation,”.

jaredp. said... said...

I would not like to join a tea party because I do not enjoy fighting in a un civilised way. That is why I do not want to join a tea party.

David G said...

yes as the mogorety said i would like to join these tea parties. one because if this does not stop it will be like the boston tea party again.but in seeing in one of the videos i see a person putting a reelection sign up and we do no need to go that far. and that we jest need that tax lowerd to a resnable priceso hat this can all end.