Click on this link and read the article http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-soda3-2009oct03,0,7367430.story
Then, answer the following:
- Do you think that we should have a tax on soda in order to discourage people from drinking it and to raise money?
- Do you think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors?
Be sure to write eight full sentences and refer to your rubric for other requirements.
93 comments:
I think that soda should definatly not be taxed. If soda was taxed for 7 cents for a 12 ounce can people that are used to having many of them will become aggravated with our financial system. Also people will feel that our government is doing a poor job and May ne low on money if they need money for a small carbonated beverage. This feeling of insecurity will drive Americans to believe that they cannot rely on our government and that maybe they shouldn’t be living in the USA. This will bring a minor decrease to our population but a minor decrease is all that it could take to send our economical system downhill and now that we are having problems with it we have to be careful. I’m not saying don’t tax soda even though I believe it shouldn’t be taxed I’m saying wait on it until we reach a more stable financial, and economical system.
O AND BTW FIRST COMMENT HOOORAY HOORAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do think that there should be a tax on sugary drinks such as Coke, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, ect.. I think this because even though there isn't a big risk in drinking these sugary drinks there is a slight chance that the sugary drinks help contribute to the beginning of harmful chronic diseases such as obesity, and diabetes. With a tax of seven cents on every twelve ounce coke or other beverage it could really help close budget plans in states that are suffering. A predicted 10 billion dollars a year would be made from this new tax. I think people are getting a different view from this new imposed tax. They think that government is somehow punishing the people who drink these beverages and therefore deciding what they drink and what they don't drink. I don't think they are doing placing these taxes for that reason or else they would have done it a long time ago; but because we are in the economic crisis is why it becomes a high priority. So therefor I don't think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage different behaviors, unless it is harmful to you or someone. These are all the reasons why I think that we should tax soda.
i think that soda should have tax because if there is no tax then the government might not be able to pay for roads.
I dont think that we should tax soda because if we do alot of poeple will have less money. Most people will not like it when or if they get rid of the sodas. Also if they put a tax on the soda, i think that alot of people might start a riot or a big gang fight. lastly soda is GOOD!!!
I think they should start taxing soda because it is horrible for people. A lot of people get obese from soda and other bad foods.The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. A great amount of americans drink soda, which means taxing it would be a good idea
i think we should have soda taxes because with the extra money the government will be able to improve the state. thay could do things like improve state roads or buildings. thay could also make some other taxes smaller. so i think we should have taxes on soda.
I belieave that taxing soda is a incredibly uninteligent idea because isnt the econemy bad enough?! For example many people in the world dont even have jobs due to the econemy they are most likely on the streets begging for a nickle! I mean how low can you go!!!!! I belieave all the goverment are rats trying to snag our money leaving us homeless while they are at a mansion in a jakoozy! If I were in the goverment I would make everything very cheap because I like to do nice things for people. Now back to the subject besides why have tax if nobody is going to buy it anyway! You know why? Its because nobody will have jobs! This is response blog from Nicholas Osipow.
In my opinion I think soda should be taxed because America is quite an "Obese" country because of our fast-food area's and many people eating fatty foods along with horrible drinks such as sodas. Another reason soda should be taxed is because soda is incredibly cheap and it doesnt require alot of money to purchase a soda beverage. As seen before some commercials show you the average American family saying basically that there shouldnt be taxes on soda beverages because "what seems like a few pennies to you it adds up alot." Also what i've also noticed in some articles saying that she opens up the hatch to the back of her vehicle and takes out the bag of soda than she says her lines than walks to her home. She doesnt close the back of her vehicle which would than leave the inside light on and it would probably stay on the whole entire night which doesnt make sence when shes trying to conserve her money instead of wasting it which that would make her have to pay for a new car battery. Many children are becoming quite obese just by these fatty foods and horribly disgusting drinks for soda. That is my opinion on why there should be taxed soda drinks.
I don't think that we should tax soda 7 cents per 12 oz., bottle. But on the bright side we would get 5 cents back when we return the bottle. I think that it would be extremely stupid to tax soda because some people can not afford the extra money to pay for the soda. The government is probably just going to use the extra money to build the new world trade center if they decide to build it. But on the flip side they should tax soda because it is not good for you and soda should be a privledge.
I believe a tax on soda should be administered.I feel this way because just about everyone knows soda is full of sugar. The tax would help with the budget and discourage soda as a main beverage. Soda means sugar and sugar means cavities and obesity.
Do you enjoy having cavaties? I'm sure your parents don't enjoy paying for them at the local dentists. Despite this thousands of Americans in our country enjoy this sugary beverage almost every day. Sure a can only costs about 1.25 but just do that times about ten thousand and in my opinion that would definately help with the budget. In my opinion a tax on soda and sugary beverages would be a great idea.
I belive that we should not tax soda because most people with a drinking promblem who switch to soda never go back to drinks. This happened with my aunt who had a great drinking. Then when her son told her to try soda she became addicted to that. I quess its better to be addicted to soda then beer. So for a lot of people soda could help change their lives. So if we put taxes on it then some people could afford it so they will not only hurt there live but there kids and so on. But one thing in soda that should be changed is the sugar level. This way we can mabey make the next generation heathier.
I definitely think that they should NOT tax soda. If they're already putting tax on alcohol and cigarettes then why should they tax soda. Everybody likes some soda and if people are already having trouble with putting food on the table then how could they afford tax on soft drinks? I think its not a good idea and if they want to put tax on something it should be something that is not needed every day
I think sugary drinks such as cokes,mountain dew,pepsi, and energy drinks should be taxed because these drinks can contribute to harmful diseases such as obesity and diabetes. With a tax of just that little bit of extra money it could help close budget plans for suffering states. Many people are getting a different view on these taxing decisions. They think the government is trying to decide weather they should drink soda or not. I don't think they are doing that for this reason because in my opinion this rule would have been made a long time ago. Those are some of my reasons on weather or not we should tax soda.
Yes, I think there should be a tax of 7 cents on a 12 ounce can of soda. it would help the government come up with the money they need to improve our state. I don't think it would be to much for the buyer to fork over an extra 7 cents. plus if you return your can you can get 5 cents back. So you are only paying 2 cents on the tax.
I think there should be a tax on soda like Pepsi®, Coke®, and Mountain Dew®. I think this because the economy is in a very bad state at the moment. With a soda tax budget-strapped states could generate a combined $10 billion a year by administrating a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke® or other sugary beverage. I think seven cents is not much money to tax a 12-ounce can of soda. Soda is very bad for you it leads to obesity and diabetes. It can also lead to cavities which are bad for your health, painful, and expensive. So I think putting a tax on so would definitely decrease these health issues. It would because less people would by soda. I think using taxes to discourage certain behaviors is defiantly necessary. I really think this because people will use and buy harmful items if they’re in-expensive and making these items more expensive will stop people from buying then and save people’s lives. These reasons are why I think there should definitely be a tax on soda and other sugary beverages.
Do I think that we should have a tax on soda? I say most definitely. First of all, it said in the article, “The Center for Science in the Public Interest believes that many states might be able to close gaps in their budgets by placing a tax on soda and other sugary drinks.” This means that we have lower taxes because of the amount of soda that is sold every year. If 10,000 kids around the United States bought a can of soda at just seven cents extra, the country could raise $700! It may not sound like much, but it definitely is a start. Also, technically speaking, it gets everyone to recycle more. Because of the tax, less people will want to buy soda in the first place, which will result in less empty abandoned cans in your town park! And, if they DO buy soda, they can automatically get five of the seven cents back if they return the can to their local grocery store, as Bryar and Kyle C. said. That’s like accidentally dropping two pennies on your way to school in the morning! You’d barely notice it!
Okay, here’s where the whole “mixed minds” thing comes into play… “Do you think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors?” On one hand, I believe that the only way to prevent something is to place a tax on it. Take cigarettes, for example. Since the rise in prices has taken place, I see less and less used cigarettes on the ground in front of New Milford Music Center! Considering that the store directly next to it, Archway News and Tobacco, sells cigarettes, this is a big change.
BUT, there’s also my other half that needs to be heard (again). It’s also a disgrace to tax people just to make them do what you want! As our government, the House of Representatives and the President should simply apply new laws, not taxes! The definition of TAX is “a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.” This means that the government collects money for reasons that could help the community! On the other hand, the definition of LAW is “the principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision.” In other words, the government makes laws to shape the United States’ function, which shouldn’t be done by taxes.
Point made, and I think I deserve a medal for the longest comment in history! =D
i dont beleve that the goverment should tax soda because any food or drink is nessary for survival. and if the goverment puts taxs on sodas than many people are going to be impacted by the extra money put into more taxes. and if some one who can barely afford rent halsto pay a extra 5 to 7 cents a day just on soda. every cent goes a mile in the long run so if the goverments choose to tax soda many will be impacted.
No, I don’t think we should have tax on soda because if people are having obesity problems then they can do something about it. It’s their choice to drink soda or not and they’re effecting their health by choosing to drink it regularly instead of drinking some healthier drinks too. If kids are drinking too much soda then I think their parents have control over that, and they can talk to them about it. Drinking soda is ok but if you drink too much of it, it isn’t good; but if you have soda and some other drink that’s healthier it’s ok. So I think that putting a tax on soda will raise you money but people won’t stop buying it because it has a tax; they love it too much to buy other drinks. I think that we should use taxes to try to encourage people to stop certain behaviors. If other people see that many celebrities are changing their ways, then regular people can do it too. For example, you see many celebrities exercising and changing their image; that might persuade other people to change the way they look too. They can change their look, body image and the foods they eat every day. So putting taxes on other things as well can encourage many people to do other things.
I strongly think that there should be a tax on various sugared beverages. Why? Not necessarily to discourage people who are drinking it, but because of finacial purposes, too. Soda is not good for you, too much can cause obesity and diabetes. This can go back to the health care blog a few weeks ago. People who get diabetes from soda, might not have full medical coverage. Therefore, taxing soda can lead to health issues. The article states that seven cents on every twelve ounce sugared beverage is taxed. The good thing about this, is that an estimated ten billion dollars a year would be made from taxing soda.
Taxing sugared beverages is a good idea. Soda-drinkers should not be offended by this tax, they should be informed that it will contribute to suffering buget plans in states. Also, the artical says that President Obama might consider a tax on these suguared drinks, supposing it could help lower healthcare expenditures.
Taxes should be used to encourage or discouraged certain behaviors because if people know that drinking too much soda is bad for them, it really should indicate that the tax is for a good benefit. These are reasons why I believe this tax on soda is appropriate in the 25 states and maybe more. ☺
I think that getting taxed on soda or any sugary drink wont change people's minds on if they are going to drink it or not. People should be more careful with this matter so they don't get obese or diseases such as diabetes. If people really wanted to drink it still then they would pay the taxes. I do think that getting soda taxed on wont be that bad if its only about 7 cents per 12 ounce can. Since most people would pay it, the money that would be taxed would add up to about $10 million per year. That money will fill in budget gaps. Therefore, getting taxed on sugary drinks is good for filling in budget gaps and helping the government.
I think that we should have tax on soda. If we dont have tax on soda then the government will be losing money because there wont we as much money going into the government. With tax on soda the government could use it to pay for better roads or it might be able to help pay for some costs of town parks so kids could have a better time at the park like new soccer goals, play grounds, baseball fields, basketball court, tennis courts. these are olny some of the many things that the tax for soda could do to help our counrty.
what! put a tax on soda well i think that is jest crazy. i mean like root beer that is a soda and if that is taxed you would not be able to have as much root beer floats and every one likes that am i right.if it is taxed too much we won't even have it in our houses we would have drink water and apple jucie until the tax goes down. maybe this is a little extreme but come on soon there probibly going to ta suger next then what are we going to do.
Ha-ha wow I just removed it ok WHY would you want to put tax on soda!!!! I love soda it is all I drink in fact I’m drinking it right now and I do not want to pay tax on soda also not a lot of people will drink soda after you tax it because they don’t want to pay taxes also if there’s tax on soda there should be tax on every other drink then because it is not fair just to tax soda
Do I think soda should be taxed? Not at all! Soda might not be the best thing for the human body, but that doesn’t mean you should tax it. I personally love soda and America already has enough things that are being taxed. America I think is in its Great Depression and people are losing so much money, and there are homeless people everywhere! So please don’t tax soda and besides your making so much money off of it anyway; why would you want to tax it?
adding on to my first comment soda is a drink that should not be taxed. If their was a tax there should be a tax on the drinks that use more sugar. and also if their is a tax on soda because it has a lot of sugar why dont they put a tax on energy drinks, and other sugary beverages of sort?
<(") < penguin
I think there should be taxes on soda. Why? because the goverment could be spending there money on better things like getting shepuge a football feild and have a football team and it would be batter for like state parks. Also people have ben getting fat and getting un healthy because all of the soda that is going around. I still donte think people will stop drinking soda because it is the best tasting drink ever but it will help on getting mor money for other things.
......
i love soda and its a great but i think that it would be ok to tax soda. When people drink soad every once in a while its ok but some people drink it to much if there is a tax on soad people will stop buying it (or but less of it). for the people (like me) who dont drink it alot it dosnt make a big difference because you dont but alot of soda in the frist place. And soda is not good for your health it rots your teeth but if we drink less because its more expensive then less roting teeth. so therefor it would be good to be taxed on soda.
I think that there should be a tax on soda. I think this because soda is like a treat or like desert. I also like soda but it’s bad for. It rots your teeth and can give you cavities. There is so much sugar in soda. Have your teeth after drinking a coke or some other kind of soda made your teeth feel weird and nasty. That’s because of all the sugar that soda has in it. I also think if there is a tax on things like soda I might be better for the health of some people because they might not bye it because of the tax these are some reasons shy I think there should be a tax on soda.
I think that is managable to have tax on soda to raise money but not too discourage drinking soda.I dont think we shoulnd use it to discourage certain behaviors becuase than you coulnd buy your way to making some one not buy it.
I don't think that we should have tax on soda because the government is just trying to find ways to get more money. Americas economy is struggling lately and they're are just trying to come up with riduculous ways to get money. I think this whole thing is outrageous. I think taxing soft drinks is a no-no.
Obesity is a gigantic problem in the US. There's no arguing that it is caused by Americans'bad food choices. But taxing these things to try to stop people from making those choices is definetely not the right thing to do. The amount of arrogance coming from the government is astonishing. What they are saying by even considering taxing soda is that we cant make good desicions, and the government does. Whats next, a tax on doughnuts?
i think that soda should be taxed.
I definitely think there should be a tax on soda and I'll tell you why. First of all soda is one of the last beverages you should ever put in your mouth. In my opinion if it can raise about 10 billion dollars a year just guess what would happen to the health care crisis. There goes one of America's biggest problems out the window. I don't think there are going to be very many people who are going to mind paying a mere 7 cents for 12 ounces for a beverage. It would also be a good icentive to not buy sugary drinks. In these times taxing anything but necesities should be done.
Cameron C-I
I really don't know whether I think soda should be taxed. I do think sugary sodas are bad, though. They are one major contributor of obesety. Taxes on soda would reduce consumption and help state finances. But there is the disturbing thought of being controlled through taxes. Being manipulated by the government is bad. So, I really don't know how I feel on this issue.
I think that there should be a tax on soda. I think this because soda is bad for you. It rots your teeth and can give you cavities. I also think if there is a tax soda people in America could be in better health. A tax on soda will also give the government more money to fix things. Ya i like soda but is it realy that bad if you have to pay 7 or so cents more. No its not and if it is a problem than don't drink soda. So a tax on soda will help the govenment and people's health in America.
We should not have taxes on soda because it’s a food and other people that are poor and can’t afford it normally. People should have it cheaper without tax.
Yes, I agree that soda is bad for you, but with the economy the way it is, for many people that's all they can afford right now. Like Nick O. said, thousands of people don't have jobs and are trying desprealty to provide for their families. If the government were to put a tax on soda, many people might not be able to afford it. Soda may not be good for people, and sure if you drink to much it could cause you to have some diseases, but for many it's all they can afford. The governmeant is sure to come up with more things that they can tax us on. They have already put a tax on cigarettes and alcohal. Soda for some is a luxury, you can have it only on special occasion like me. For others that's what is on the table every night. A lot of people think that it's because people are addicted to it, maybe. The big issue though is that if soda were taxed, it would make it harder for people to put food and let a lone drinks on the table. Soda may be bad for you, but on one hand, it's the difference between having something to drink or not having anything at all. This is why I believe that soda should not be taxed.
I think that we should not have a tax on soda because... If there is a tax on soda than kids may not be abyle to afford it. and also kids like soda alot. now if you put a tax on that then it would be out of our range to buy it. because soda at its price now is quit expencive. do you think that they would really want to add to that! I deffinataly do not! i wonder if the soda comapnies would allow that eather?
I think that sugary drinks should be taxed because there are alot of people that like to drink soda. Also in the article it said that "many states could be able to close gaps in their bugets" meaning that we might not have so many taxes on are houses and everything else. This could also help people that dont like to drink soda and they dont have that much money in the first place. This means that if the tax on everything else goes down then it would help that family. Another thing that it said in the article is that "california could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying of 7 cents per 12-once can." This is saying that soda can make enough money that it could impact our other taxes to be at a lower price. Soda is bad for you anyway so you shouldnt be drinking it so maybe people will start to stop drinking soda. Although people that really love soda will pay 7 cents more anyway. Soda taxes will probably be a good thing to have.
I think that soda should definatley be taxed. Taxing soda can do a couple of things. First of all, like the article said, it would lower the very high number of obesity and diabetes. We don't want sooo many people to be fat, and soda is a huge contribute to that. And also, it may help people who are fat and don't want to be. It makes them not want to buy for soda because they either can't afford it or think its way too expensive. Another reason we should have taxes is because the money can go toward things that we need. We definatley need to help the healthcare service Americans are getting so the tax can help for that. It can also help for littler thing like new roads, building, ect. Taxing soda can help us in a lot of ways and that is why soda should definatley be taxed. It will help everyone, even if they don't agree with it, its good for them. Who needs those sugary drinks anyway?
No way should soda ever be taxed! In fact, that is one of the most outragous things I've ever heard. If people want drink soda than that is their own choice. To some people soda is like the best drink ever. You can't just put a tax on it because it is not good for you. If so than almost everything in america should be taxed.
No way should soda ever be taxed! In fact, that is one of the most outragous things I've ever heard. If people want drink soda than that is their own choice. To some people soda is like the best drink ever. You can't just put a tax on it because it is not good for you. If so than almost everything in america should be taxed
I definitely think that soda should be taxed. I think this because it can cause all sorts of damage to your body. In the article it says that soda can cause obesity, diabetes and other costly chronic diseases. Soda isn’t the only thing that is causing things but it is a major contender. Since the economy is extremely bad right now, people don’t have the money to be paying for extra taxes on items they buy everyday. This could help many people to stop their habit on drinking soda because they wont be able to afford the higher price. The article also states that too many younger kids are drinking soda these days, which could lead to many harmful things, like obesity and diabetes. But taxing soda could also save many people a ton of money. This is because if they can’t afford to buy soda they won’t be drinking it, which might prevent them from needing medical care for certain diseases. They would have to pay for the medical care themselves, which would be hard to afford. Besides the health issue, adding a tax of 7 cents to a 12-ounce bottle of soda, could generate a profit of over 100 billion dollars. This money could be used to close many gaps in state budgets, or paying for other items that the state would need. I do think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. One good example of this is the tax on cigarettes. The government and the state are constantly raising the tax on cigarettes to stop many people from smoking. Which I think is a good idea since the economy is so bad right now. It will save people money too. This is why I think there should be a tax on soda.
I think that there should definitely be a tax on soda. If the Center for Science in the Public Interest thinks that many states might be able to close gaps in their budgets by placing a tax on soda or other sugary drinks, then why not? Our economy isn’t doing so good right now anyway. So an extra $10 million a year from administrating a tax of 7 cents on a 12 ounce sugary drink couldn’t hurt. Less people would like to buy soda if it costs more money too, that is kind of good. People will be much healthier if they don’t drink as much soda. If people want to be unhealthy they should pay an extra few cents to give our government a small boost. If less people buy soda, it will also help the earth by not wasting as much recourse. I also think that we should use taxes to discourage certain behaviors. For example the tax on cigarettes makes less people buy them or at least think twice. That will create fewer smokers making the world a healthier place.
I think that we should have a tax on soda, in order to discourage people from drinking it and to raise money. As it said in the article if California could being in 10 billion dollars a year, just for a tax on soda, I think that it’s a must. I also think that more states should put the tax on sugary drinks. We could always use the money, and it would be help to make people stop drinking it. Soda can make people gain weight, and be obese, it can also cause many different health problems. I agree with President Obama, when he says kids are drinking too much soda, if it’s always open at a fairly cheap price, then they will want to buy it more and more, but if the price goes up they will hopefully only be able to buy on some occasions. I think that we should use taxes to encourage certain behaviors. It will benefit the people and it will benefit America, because of the amount of money coming in. An example would be that if we put an even higher tax on cigarettes, more and more people will think twice about buying them. That would benefit the person a large amount, especially in not having that chance of getting lung cancer. Also America again, because of the money. Taxes have a high power because many people are conservative of their money, and think wisely about what they are buying, and the tax price. The more taxes on certain items, the better.
In my opinion, we should defiantly tax soda. First, only paying an extra 7 cents, we can generate $10 billion a year! Already, 25 states have a tax on soda and other sugary drink, and in doing this, we can make a lot more money. Another reason for the tax is that it will reduce consumption. It would also lower obesity, diabetes and other costly chronic diseases in America. Less people would buy soda, and we wouldn't have to spend so much on sugar related diseases. Putting a small tax on soda won't be such a big deal for people, and everyone can gain a lot.
Do you think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors? For this, I'm not really sure. Putting taxes on things like cigarettes is perfectly fine in my opinion, because smoking is one of the worst things you can do to yourself, and putting taxes on it to make people stop buying it is fine. But on the other hand, putting taxes on things just so people won't buy it is sort of manipulative and mean. Taxes on some things that are bad for you might be ok, but in the long run it shouldn't be used to make people buy or not buy certain things.
I think soda should be taxed, but i also don't think it should.I am more on the side of it being taxed because obesity is a big problem in the U.S. If it could make people discouraged to drink soda and other sugary drinks that would be great, it would also be good to raise more money. There is one problem though... people are still going to buy it even if it gets taxed or not, some people are addicted to soda and they are probably willing to spend a little more money for it. The only reason I think it shouldn't taxed is because of the bad economy, the government is just going to take more money from us and make life for a lot of people harder. My reasons for it to be taxed is much stronger and I do think soda should be taxed.
I think there should be a tax on soda because of two main reasons. One reason is because it will only cost seven cents for a 12 oz. bottle. I know we are in a “recession” but seven cents is not much at all. I agree with Dillon the too many Americans are overweight. If a tax is on soda then I believe it could prevent some people from buying it and then there would be less obesity in this country. My second reason why soda should have a tax is we could use the tax money that is raised to build a football field (like what Alex K said), for education, or for tax reductions for both middle and upper class. Tax reductions are a good idea because it is stressful for everyone during tax season and if people had to pay less for taxes during tax time, then every American citizen would be happier. After a little while, no one would notice the extra money they are spending when they buy soda, but they would notice if they didn’t have to pay as much at the end of the year.
I think that there should be tax on soda. Soda is a treat and people should not be drinking it all the time. It would be good for the overall health of America. It would supply the government with a lot more money. I know this because more than 15 million gallons of soda are sold each year. But on the flip side more people might stop buying soda as often. They should not have taxes on the holiday season. I think this because so many people buy soda on these days it is unfair. This would be a special treat. But the people that drink soda often should have to regularly pay special taxes on soda.
I dont think that there should be a tax on soda. I think this because alot of people in America buy soda, so the company's who make the soda already get alot of profit. I think the tax is unnecesary because the income coming from soda is huge. The government might be using this tax to get people away from buying soda alot, for health reasons. I think that, that would be a violation of our social contract. We should be able to buy soda without the governments say in it, even thought the government isn't saying it like they are trying to get less people to buy soda but they are. The American Beverage Assn. says that, "the association between sugar sweetened soft drinks and obesity, if it exists at all, is so weak." So the government might be blaming soda for obesity when its no to blame. Overall, I think that the soda tax is a bad idea.
I think there should be a tax on soda. I think there should be a tax on sugary drinks because drinks like that can lead to chronic diseases and obesity. Maybe having the tax is like an extra boost, maybe people that have a problem with one of these two things will realize to not drink it as much. I’m not saying you should never drink soda again, but just watch HOW MUCH you drink. In the article it said that putting a 7cent tax per 12-ounce can of soda in a year will add up to about 10billion dollars! We could use that money to help the United States. I don’t think these taxes are in anyway punishing the people in any way. I could be very helpful to the economy. Personally I don’t drink much soda so it wouldn’t affect me as much as other people, but I still think it would help to tax soda.
I am not so sure about tax on soda, but some people control on how much soda they drink and most don't have bad behaviors on drinking soda. Yes some people drink to much soda, but putting tax on soda might not help. I mean it might help but still, I do not think it will do much. Although it will probably raise a lot of money. On the other hand it might hurt some of the economy. Some people are saying that it would be good to put tax on soda I do agree with some of their reasons like not being as healthy and being overweight which is not good because our country is known for being the most obese country. That is right but those people can control what they eat, they just don't because the fast food restaurants are addicting and taste good but its fating and not healthy. I am not trying to be mean but people could control what they eat and exercise more.
I am also so-so on the subject. Do you think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors? As I was saying it might be another worry or hurt for the economy but maybe not. I say yes it’s good to too raise money for the economy, but if we try to encourage those people to stay healthy more and control their behaviors. More organizations can help that. It might help. I think it is also not good just to use taxes on people for all reasons, maybe only for some reasons like smoking (cigarettes or cigars) its ok maybe to put it on that because smoking is horrible! And addicting but some people I am not saying all people can not control and don't really care that much that the price went up. This is why they're sort of two sides to this (as I think I would probably say).
I think that there should be taxes on soda. There are many ways that prove there should be. First, soda is a big big big contribute to making people have diabetes and obesity problems. If we put a tax on the soda then people will begin to lose weight because they aren’t able to afford it. That will help keep our nation healthy. Also, as it said in the article, it will help with the health care problem because people won’t have so many health problems. By putting a tax on soda, we can use the extra money we receive for more important things. I mean, there are people in the world with NOTHING to eat or drink. Don’t you think we can manage to give up drinking a drink that isn’t even the least bit good for your body and help someone who is suffering from not getting enough to drink or eat? There are a lot bigger problems throughout the world than worrying about weather tomorrow you will be able to chug a bottle of soda. So in conclusion I think there should be a tax on soda.
I'm with Katie in this whole soda debate thing. I honestly don't know where I stand. But I do agree with people that said that soda does contribute to the 'fat' issue in the US. At the same time though, I love soda, and I think it'd be kind of like a . . . hmmm . . . opportunity ( for lack of better wording ) for the government to take advantage of Americans and possibly start putting taxes on other things as well? But I don't know what I feel about this...
x]
So, do I think that soda should be taxed? Well, after reading the article, I have mixed feeling about some factors that have to do with this issue (such as the discouraging of certain behaviors). However, I must say, I feel a stronger pull towards the idea of taxing soda to discourage people from drinking it, and raise money.
If you really think about it, more teens and adults are suffering from eating disorders having to do with eating or drinking too much, than too little. With the seven cents added to the price of a twelve-ounce can of soda, I hold the belief that it will decrease consumption. Decreasing consumption, will hopefully shrink the large number of diabetes, obesity, “and other costly chronic diseases” in the United States. Not only does the extra tax hold the optimism of lessening diseases, but also the money could be used to put to important economic issues that our country is dealing with. The money could be used toward health care and other financial issues as well.
Now, soda in moderation (in my opinion) is perfectly fine, opposed to drinking it so often, that you find yourself hardly drinking regular water. Therefore, when it is said to “discourage people from drinking it”, I don’t necessarily agree with that statement. I guess you could say that I am half in, and half out. Soda doesn’t have to be shunned by people all over America; just the consumption rate should be lowered. I’m not a large soda drinker myself, but I do like to have some Mountain Dew or Pepsi every once in a while. If the tax is placed on sugary drinks like Gatorade or Powerade, I still think that I would stand my position even though I drink many of those energy drinks (compared to soda).
Overall, I think that there should be a tax placed to maybe discourage the behavior of drinking soda every day to drinking soda occasionally, and to reduce the number of people with eating disorders. The people who are addicted to soda might suffer with economical problems, or gain control of their addiction. Whatever may be the outcome, I still stand my position.
PS.
I vote Dana for longest blog post ever! ;D
[Love your post, by the way, you always have good commentary.]
I don't think there should be a tax on soda. If someone is having health problems they should stop drinking soda. It's not fair to people who don't have health problems and like to drink it once in awhile. If kids are drinking too much of it and are obese then they could just stop selling it at schools. And, they could lower the sugar so kids don't get obese. I don't think it is right to tax it. Also, if people stop buying it the factories that make it could go out of business. Then people would lose their jobs. That would not help the economy. So I do not agree with taxing soda.
I think that there should be a tax on soda. If taxing soda can lead to $10 billion year, why shouldn’t we? I think that using taxes is a very smart way to encourage or discourage people from doing certain things. I think that taxing soda would also be a good idea if it could discourage many people from drinking soda; it could lead to less obesity in our country, and less people getting diabetes. Think about it, if putting a tax on soda keep you from being obese or getting diabetes, wouldn’t you be all for the idea? I know I would. If you really don’t like the idea of having tax on soda, then I guess it could be hard for you to deal with, but you know, I would probably drink water or some other non-soda-like item so I wouldn’t have to pay taxes. It’s less money and you would be helping yourself. So, I’m not much of a soda person (I have a Coke every once and a while) so I can deal with tax on soda, and I’m sure that most Americans will eventually come around to it too.
I think soda should be taxed because like it said in the article, it will keep people from becoming obese. But also I think that it should not because like Nick said, that the economy is bad. Paying an extra dollar or so for a soda can really add up after some time. If you drink soda often then this could be a problem after years of drinking a lot of soda. I guess I am nuetral because I think it's bad to drink to much. But if you do drink to much it will be bad for your money issue. But if you don't drink it often because it will not be a problem. I am nuetral like Katie S.
I believe soda shouldn't be taxed, even though it may give people heart defects; there are no reports of severe cases from drinking to much soda. If having taxes on soda must be issued they should be very cheap only about a nickel. The higher taxes ought to be on alcoholic beverages and cigarettes, which should be a dime to a quarter depending on the state, this will double the money for the economy than the soda tax.
Kaleo Breeckner
I think soda should be taxed. I think soda should be taxed because it would be extra money for the econemy and it would help with obesety. If soda becomes taxed less people will buy soft drinks. Cutting soft drinks are cut out of our diets, we would be lossing lots of weight. Also, with the amount of people in america who buy soda, taxing it would make the econemy tons of extra money.
I don’t think that there should be a tax on soda because when they state in the article that, “The health advocacy group released a study this week that estimates budget-strapped states - including California - could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12 ounce can of Coke or other beverage.” I think this is a problem because $10 billion a year is a lot of money for tax on soda. Also the fact that 25 states are being taxed for sugary drinks. J. Justin Wilson who is the senior research analyst at the Center for Consumer Freedom said, "The tax code should not be used as a tool for social engineering. Nor should it be an instrument for penalizing individuals' personal food choices - choices that some government officials find distasteful." I agree with this statement because he makes a good point when he stated that taxes shouldn’t penalize what people eat. People should have the privilege to not pay taxes on soda after they get a 5 cent deposit for can return – well people in certain states who have bottle returns in grocery stores. The president mentioned in a recent interview in Men’s Health Magazine, "Every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else. Obviously it's not the only factor, but it is a major factor.” I agree with the president when he says that it’s not the only factor, it’s a major factor. I agree with him because soda tax is going to become a major problem and he is mentioning that it is now, so the citizens of the United States of America are ready for the problem. This is why I think that soda shouldn’t be taxed anywhere.
I strongly agree with Scott. I think taxing soda is a really stupid idea. Why tax soda? There are a million other drinks out there that are nasty like vegetable juice and millions of people buy those, so they should get taxed. I love soda and other kinds of those drinks like Red Bull and Monster. In fact, the other day, I was at Shop Rite and bought a 20 oz. Mountain Dew and the cashier charged me a whole 11 cents more! I had to go back into my wallet and get out another quarter. The tax was 6 cents and an additional 5 for a cash refund. I was po'd. Soda shouldn't be taxed because it too is a kind of food. Too bad it already is taxed...
Do people want to be healthier and livelonger? Of course they do and for that reason I think that there should absolutely be a tax on soda. First, putting a tax on sugary drinks can reduce the purchase of soda in the first place. This would be a very good thing because many statistics say that soda can cause obesity, diabetes and other costly chronic diseases. This adds to the cost of health care. Why people would need heath care if people weren’t always getting sick the threat wasn’t always getting out there. Secondly, our country is in a terrible crisis economically and states could use the extra money that these taxes would provide. In the article above it says, “ states could generate a combined ten billion dollars a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of coke or beverage. Ten billion dollars could really help us economically. Even our very own President Obama has said he might consider a tax on sugared drinks, believing that it could help lower healthcare expenditures. "Every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else. Obviously it's not the only factor, but it is a major factor,” Kids are drinking too much soda because” Soda is dirt cheap and promotes expensive and debilitating diseases, which in turn run up healthcare costs at all levels of government." That’s what Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest stated. Many citizens feel that putting a tax on soda is a government intrusion on personal choice. But in a way that is not quite true. The government is not forcing people to not drink soda they are simply stating that soda is going to be taxed for various reasons. People could still choose to drink soda but just at a higher price. So it’s not exactly fair to say it is an intrusion on personal choice. The government is not forcing people to do anything. Forcing would be having a law saying soda is no longer allowed to be sold. That would be an intrusion of personal choice. Yes, I think that we should use taxes to discourage certain behaviors like drinking a lot of soda. This is because if we make it more expensive to buy then maybe people won’t buy it as often, so then they wont be tempted and addicted as much anymore. So for all these many and very true reasons I think that soda and sugary drinks should be taxed.
KALEO IM DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!!!
x(
I think that there should be a tax on soda and other sugary drinks. If we can put a tax on soda we can raise a ton of money to help put towards the healthcare crisis and other things to help our country. For example, if there is an extra 7 cents added on to the price of a 12 ounce can of soda, states could raise over 10 billion dollars. This could solve a lot of problems for all different states and help people stop consuming so much soda. Also if we can put a tax on soda it will definitely discourage people from drinking it not only keeping away obesity but keeping people healthier. I know that the choice to drink soda is a personal decision, but this is not only to try and control obesity but to raise money for state funds.
I don’t think taxes should be used to encourage and discourage behavior other than in the case of a soda tax. I don’t think it is fair for the government to make choices for the people unless everyone is in agreement. This I think applies to all taxes except for the soda tax which I think has to be a change that is made all over the U.S. because soda can seriously harm a person. I think by putting in a soda tax we will be putting some boundaries in for people’s consumption. I think that all in all the soda tax is a good idea.
I definitely think that there should be a tax on soda. This tax would not only help our nation’s health problems but it might help improve the financial situation. Obesity is a worsening problem in the U.S. Soda is a major factor to this problem. The sugar is not the only health hazard in soda; there are other ingredients that contribute to bad health. Exactly how many ingredients on a soda label can you actually understand? What are all the other mysterious chemicals in soda and what might they do to our bodies? Soda also takes also takes calcium out of our bones and teeth. Hopefully if a tax is put on soda, people will stop drinking so much and not everyone will be walking around with serious health issues and bad teeth.
A tax on soda might also slightly help with the economy. The article says that budget strapped states could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents for a bottle of soda. This can help pay for a few things such as health care. This way other taxes can be used for more important things. Finally, if 25 states already have a soda tax, why shouldn’t all states? So, a tax on soda would help prevent health problems and improve our financial situation.
I think that the government should impose a sugar tax. I agree that if people were to return their cans it would only be a two-cent tax. But when people say that the impoverished need to feed their families why can’t they drink tap water? It’s a lot cheaper I mean that if you were to chug a soda everyday when you reach middle age the calcium leached from your bones because of caffeine will sometimes cause Osteoporosis. If the tax will help limit consumption it’s a positive.
I think that they should not tax soda, or other sugary drinks. I think this because then it is just one more thing that the government is going to control, and there trying to make people drink less soda by putting a tax on it. They said soda can lead to causing disease and diabetes. They are also trying to make people who are obese live a certain way, by cutting down on drinking soda. I think that it is wrong to use taxes to encourage people to live a certain way. People should be able to choose the way they live and what they eat, and shouldn’t be forced not to drink soda just because they can’t afford it. I also think that soda is a luxury and not a necessity to live so in that way it could have a tax, since it’s not absolutely necessary to live. Anything you need to live on should not be taxed. So I agree and disagree with having a soda on tax, because there are some good things about having a tax on soda, like being able to pay off some debts the economy has right now, and some bad things.
Like Kelsey, I too have a mixed felling about the tax but I am pulling more towards the agreed side. So many people in the US are suffering of chronic diseases like diabetes and obesity. This problem really needs to be stopped! I am really trying to be careful about what I eat or drink so I don’t become obese or get diabetes as are many Americans. A lot of people feel that the government shouldn’t be able to control what we drink but to me they are doing their job and protecting their people. Plus with this 7¢ tax on soda will raise an estimated $10 billion dollars a year! I know many people are against this tax but really there are tons of positives to this tax. So my answer to the first question is that we need whatever it takes to discourage people from drinking soda and if the government raises money in the process it’s even better.
I don’t think that we should use taxes to discourage or encourage everything but certain important problems like preventing obesity and other diseases we should definitely use taxes for. Placing taxes on regularly is a big deal because those extra pennies truthfully start to add up. Therefore we should resort to this we it is truly necessary like in this case of preventing obesity. So yes we should use taxes to solve problems that are major like obesity but we shouldn’t use taxes to solve the issues caused by hair care products for example.
In my opinion I do not feel that we should tax soda. Soda doesn't really hurt people and if someone chooses to drink soda then they should have that right. I do realize that it could close gaps in budgets, but couldn't they find something else or different to tax. I happen to be a large fan of soda, but I do drink it in moderation and I think that most people could drink it in moderation if they wanted to. Putting a tax on soda is something that should not happen. I do not think we should use taxes to encourage and discourage certain behaviors because its a option that people need to be able to choose for themselves, not have other poeple choose it for them. Besides even with a rase of tax on cigarettes, people are still buying them. The same thing could happen with soda. Soda is a life style choice, it isn't a large problem and really shouldn't be taxed.
I believe, that if the tax on soft drinks is reasonably low, we should definatly put a tax on it. Why shouldn't we? It would provide a ton of money for the government to spend on other pressing matters. I believe that a raise of the price of soda would motivate people that are obese to get off of the sugary stuff and put them on the long, exciting, winding road of good health! Also, if people are healthy but still want their cola fix, they would just pay a little extra to do so.
In my opinion, soda should be taxed. Soda is actually very unhealthy, as are many other sugary beverages. Soda and other unhealthy beverages are actually a very large factor of obesity in America, so maybe taxing soda would eventually encourage people to be healthier. Since soda is very cheap, it’s not unfair. People still won’t have to spend a lot on money, even if the soda is taxed. Also, because the economy is in such a bad state right now, the extra money can be used. Soda is not a necessity and it would actually be a good idea for people to start drinking less of it because of the problems it can cause such as diabetes and obesity. These are some of the reasons soda should be taxed.
I think you should tax soda such as pepsi and coke cola because people will earn more money. It could really help to bring up the economy. People will also stop buying soda because of the raise. Also the world would stop drinking it and not get fat.
I think there should be a tax on soda because soda just causes more health care problems than there is. It will also proveide more money for the U.S. Soda is unhealthy and unsafe for children considering the effect of the soda (hyperness).
I think that there should be a tax on soda. This is because it would make more money for the United States. But also because it causes more health problems for anyone that drinks it. Having a bigger cost on soda would make less people buy it, which means less health problems caused by soda.
I think that there should definitely be a tax on soda. This is because it would make more money for the United States. Soda causes more health problems for people that drink it. Having a larger tax on soda would make less people buy it. Health problems that could be caused by drinking soda will be eliminated or decreased.:)
I agree with Scott 100%!!!! I am a huge soda fan, and have an addiction to Diet Coke. I swear I don't go a day without drinking at least two cans of it. I do not think it should be taxed at all, because so many people drink it, and if it gets taxed, then people will get mad. I think that the soda tax will not pass.
I think that the government should tax soda. I think this becuase when people drink soda they are hurting themselves, and this might effect other people health. i also think that it is a ghood idea becuase if we tax people for drinking soda the government would get more money for bigger things like health care the wasr in iraq, education etc.
I Think the soda shoud not be taxed. It wood be exspensive. its all we have besides apple and orange juce.We will have nothing and ferthermore all of the tax money could be gone if obama or some other preasadent mess it up on a crysist.What about the summer or at dinner? what are you gana drink, tea grape jouce)
I love soda and it’s a great snack but I think that it would be ok to tax soda. When people drink soda every once in a while it’s ok but some people drink it too much if there is a tax on soda people will stop buying it (or but less of it). For the people (like me) who don’t drink it a lot of it, it doesn’t make a big difference because you don’t drink a lot of soda in the first place. And soda is not good for your health it rots your teeth. But if we drink less because it’s more expensive then less rotting teeth. So therefore it would be good to be taxed on soda.
I think that soda should ba taxed. It will help bring in more money for the government and even though it's really good, it's bad for you. Putting a tax on soda will also help discourage people from drinking it and hopefully lower the number of obese kids in the United States.
Don't get me wrong, I love soda. But I think this idea is a good one. First of all, since so many people buy soda and we're in an economic crisis, these taxes could help fix it up. Also, this might make people want to drink healthier drinks. This might have and important impact on health care. Since sugary drinks create problems in your body, this might make less people have to go to the docters and hospitals. This would be a great help to the economy and health care problems.
I think believe that soda should be taxed, because it damages peoples bodies. The sugar in it causes us to release more insilyn, which then later on causes diabetes and it rots your teeth as well. And with the health department charging so much money to get health care, people who drink a lot of soda could need the treatment for diabetes, but they may not be able to pay for it. The caffiene in soda is a dyeretic which causes dehydration and causes heart rates to go up, too. Soda should definatley be taxed.
BAN THE 3 LITTER BOTTELS F THIS FIN BLOG
4 all of u hu say that the government could use the extra money, gee i wonder what they would do with it? maybe spend 4 million $$$ researching an endangered grasshopper or another pointless animal in wyoming???
whaddya think???
I think we should have soda tax because millions and millions of people pay for soda. So if you add tax the goverment gets the money and they can use it for important things such as health care, schools, roads, ect.
Alex James
YOUNG MONEY CASH MONEY
Post a Comment