Read the article below and listen to the 7-minute radio story below and then write a response to the following questions:
- What do you think it means that same-sex marriages are being counted by the US Census Bureau?
- Do you think that the Census Bureau should count same-sex marriages or only heterosexual marriages, as it has always done?
http://dukechronicle.com/article/2010-census-report-same-sex-marriages
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120816467
78 comments:
I think it means that the majority of people think that it's ok to have same sex marriage. I think that the government came to the conclusion that same sex marriages count. It's just the marital status so why does it make a big deal on how they elect representatives. Also i thought that it wasn't allowed in some states so i think the marital status for same sex marriage is a dumb idea. I DON'T REALLY HAVE A OPINION ON SAME SEX MARRIAGE BECAUSE IT'S NOT MY JOB TO DECIDE THE CHOICES OTHER PEOPLE MAKE IN THERE PARTNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i still think its weird
I think it means that the country is realizing that there are lots of same sex marriages and that they should be counted in the Census Bureau as much as any other marriage. Yes I do think they should count same sex marriages. everyone has a right to live their life their way. to leave it as it has always been done would mean not moving forward. America= freedom, rights. everyone has a right to their way of life.weather I agree or not.
I forgot to say I agree with Jordan that the government came to the conclusion that same sex marriages count.
I think that it means that the government wants to know how many same-sex marriages are in the US. I also think that they are becoming more concerned with the people, and perhaps even to keep a closer tab on us! It could also mean that people are starting to "notice" same sex marriages a bit more, and as it says in the article,“The census is making more visible a group of people that have been somewhat invisible,” Janie Long, director of Duke’s Center for LGBT Life said. I'm not sure what it is saying about the government, wanting to count them.
I think we shouldn't count same sex marriages. First, I don't think gay people would want to have people know, because it is a great way to be discriminated against. "Although she said she is glad same-sex couples are being included, Santiago noted that some couples may be afraid their responses could expose them to discrimination." Also, I don't think it would be very accurate, because many people wouldn't reply. "But the 2010 numbers would only reflect same-sex married couples who are ready to be seen, Long said." Second, why would the government even want to know what percent of the population in Alabama are gay? There is a thing called privacy, and most people don't like sharing things like that. I think that we should just count heterosexual marriages.
I think we should not have gay marriage because that is not what the world has intended it to be. Some people might want gay marriage but I don’t think its right because that is not normal.
I think it doesn't matter what peoples likes and dislikes are in the United States of America. I care that everyone is not fighting and is at piece. The governt can do whatever they would like as long as it keeps America running safe.
I don't see why they would not count the same sex marriages because their maritial status has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Although it is kind of weird... I think they should be able to vote and have the same right as any other non gay people. Except for marriage. That would just be way too awkward.
I think that when a man falls deeply in love with another man, or a woman falls in love with another woman, they should be allowed to do what they please. If a couple of gay persons wanted to get married, then they should have that option. Look, if someone isnt attracted to the opposite sex, then they can't change that! So why forbid them to do what makes them happy? it's wrong! How would you feel if a higher power forced a straight man or woman into a relationship with the same sex! Put yourself in their shoes for a minute before you forbid them of these things!
I dont think gay marriges are bad or anything but i dont think they shoulnd make it that public becuase younger kids might get confused. It is fine if they love eachother becuase its the same thing as a men and a women getting married.Anothoer reason its bad to force not to have gay marriges is then its not letting them enjoy there life.
I donte think gay maratge is bad. But I do agree with sean it should not be public because younger kids shouldnt be going around hering about a gay marige.But persanly the howl gay marige thing freaks me out. But i ame not against it because marige is about people who love eachother not about just getting married because it is a girl and a boy.
I think that same sex marriages are good because it helps guys support there ideas. People should like who ever they want to like and marry even if it's a boy. Thats why there should be same sex marriage.
I agree withmost of the people that havecommented sofar. same sex marrage issomething that we chose and that wearent forced to do,now i have toexperince with this but the citizens of america should have the freedom tomake that choice. and many people do think it is strange, but it is someones lifestyle and if they make that decision they should have aright to their opinion. it all goes back to the freedom topic, we should have freedom to get married how we want and with who we want
I think it means that people of the same sex can get married, and then fewer kids will be born. I don’t agree with this vote because without kids, there won’t be as many children. This gives anybody the advantage to go “out” with any gender; when this world people were supposed to go out with the opposite sex. People of the opposite sex should be the only people to get married and have children. It should stay the same so all people aren’t gay or Lesbos. This new law will give anybody the freedom to marry anybody and be called spouses. Also it will give them the profile name as married, and that’s just not right. People should be able to go out with whoever they want, but not be able to marry them or call themselves taken. It’s not up to me who marries who, but marring someone of the same sex is just plain weird.
I think we should allow gay marriage and i completly disagree with what Jared said i think that if someone has feelings for someone else who is the same sex it should be allowed and if it isn't allowed then we would be totally ruining the statement "freedom of will". And its not only contracts but also the law. if they don't want people who are gay to be counted as a married couple then whats the point of having a law that you can get married if your gay. everything is a contradiction to each other in this census thing. if we've already allowed gay marriage then if they are MARRIED they should be counted as a married couple.
I belieave same sex marrieage is a very bad choice to make. I belieave this because in my religion its prohibited to marry a same sex.Besides, it just looks flat out wrong God made his decision and made seperate sex marriage. So from what I belieave I say it is very wrong and a sin against God.
Nick thats terrible what you just said my sister is a heterosexual. I do not feel that it is not wrong because you have the right to marry who ever you are in love with. It is not a sin to marry the same sex, God made 2 serperate sex's to reproduce man kind for more of a population. if you love a man it is ok to feel that way and if you love a woman. it is also ok. Love is a natural human emotion and you can not controll it so marry who you want.
I absolutely think that same sex marriage should be counted in the cencus. First of all they are just like everyone else they are no different because of their sexual orientation. Who are we to say that certain people should be excluded from certain things. I also think that there are certain laws forbidding same sex marriage is absolutely ridiculous to begin with. The last time I checked it was the United States of America. Come on people give them their same freedom and show some respect.
I agree with Kyle, theres nothing wrong with gay marriages or is there anything in the bible against same sex-marriages either. Gays have the freedom to marry anyone. It's a choice they make, and that considered Natural rights and America really can't take away that. Gays are normal people that should be counted as population, they're the same as everyone else, they're just married to the same gender as them. And no one can really count it as a sin for themselves, they know they're wrong and change the rules to look like they have more knowledge then normal Americans.
I don't really think it means anything bad. I think that same-sex marriges are becoming more popular and so they are starting to record it. I don't think that there is anything wrong with same-sex marrige. It's the same thing as a man and a woman getting married. They deserve to be happy too. It's not their fault they cant change it. Gay couples might not want it to be recored and then the Census Bureau shouldn't, but if the people don't care I dont see what's wrong with it.
I think that it means there are more same-sex marriges and the government is recording it. Maybe it is to let the people know, but i don't know. I have no issue with same-sex marriges. The gay couples can't help that they are gay. So, we should just let them be happy and give them some peace. I mean, how would you feel if you loved someone and people wouldn't let you get married because they think its not right? Its just messed up! Let gay people be gay.
Ah, an interesting topic. This statement must mean that the Census Bureau is emphasizing the fact that all Americans are equal, and they have the same rights. Also, if they don’t include same-sex marriages, then those people (including Ellen DeGeneres, I must add) are singled out because of the way that they feel about marriage! If they aren’t counted, it won’t harm their rights, but it will affect their dignity, like it has every other census.
Now, it is time for my opinion. I think that same-sex marriages should count with the Census Bureau. Imagine being singled out just because you look at the world a different way! I honestly don’t know why people haven’t thought of this before! I’m almost positive that there is one couple in the world who wants their name to be written down in a book of everyone in the town, and not skipped over like colored people in the 1800’s.
And of course, what would a good blog post be like without a person with two minds! On the other hand, I believe, like Josie, that these couples might not want their names in town books. There is never one opinion on the topic, and some people want to keep it secret. Yeah, I know, everyone celebrated Ellen Degeneres and Portia di Rossi’s first anniversary a few months ago. But, as Josie said, “There is a thing called privacy, and most people don't like sharing things like that.” Really, who needs to know who is gay and who isn’t? It’s not like people are going to look back at records and say “Ooh, the population of gay people has gone down 2% this year! We need to step it up, people!” What is going on with this world? We should respect the differences among us. After all, we were created the way we were for a reason, and we wouldn’t want to criticize that.
P.S. Well said, Shae!!
I think that the fact that same-sex marriage is being considered to be counted for the U.S. Census Bureau is because more states are becoming ok with the idea for same-sex marriages. I agree with adding them to the census because they are living people like everyone else. I agree with Taylor White when he says that same-sex couples can fall in love with each other and they should be allowed to. They are human beings, too. That would be like not counting African-American in censuses just because of their race. That is wrong! All Americans should be counted and if a couple is living together as a married couple, it shouldn’t matter if they are the same sex or not. I don’t understand why they are not already counted. That is called discrimination! That is my opinion on same-sex marriages.
I think that people shoulf be able to marry whoever they want. I think this because your susposto marry who your in love with. People should not be able to tell other prople who they can be with and who they cant be with. I dont mind people of the same sex being with eacher. If there happy thats all that matters. If you like someone you should be able them no matter what anything else thinks. I also think that people should not look at yhese people differently because they are really just like us.
I think that alot of people think that it is ok to have same sex marriages. Yes i do thiink that there should be same sex marruages because everyone is intitled to there own rights and they have diffrenet fellings than other people.
I think it means that in the past years that people of the same sex marriages were not counted in the cencus. I also think it means that people are changing and opening up the the fack that people have the right to chose who they wanna be with and shouldn't matter. I think that everything sould be counted. I think that it is the right choise besauce these people are people and they have the right to do what they want. I also think that if these people are in love other people shouldn't try to break them up. If every one just kept to themself and minded there own buisness then the world would be a better place. It doesn't have to do with the subject but if everyone just minded there own buisness we probably wouldn't be at woar right now. My oppinion goes with same sex marriage being counted in the census. THese are my thoughts about this topic
I don't think it's wrong to have same-sex marriges, like, if two people love each other enough that they want to get married then, I guess they should be able to. But I also agree with Sean, on the subject that younger kids might get confused, because they're maturity level doesn't really understand why that would happen, and pretty much only understand that boys and girls should be together. But all in all, I say that same-sex marriges should be allowed.
I think that it means there are more same sex marriages in the U.S. I have no issue with same sex marriages. The gay couples cant really help that they are gay because of there personal preference of a relationship partner. With the straight relationships we don't have people fighting over how straight marriage is wrong so why do we have to criticize gay marriage? But really just let people love who they love don't let other people be critical with who you love. Just let people do what they want to do with there lives and leave them alone.
I think the fact that same-sex marriages are being counted in the U.S. census means that people are recognizing gay people more. They are starting to accept differences in people a little bit more. I’m not saying that gay marriage is right, but I do think gay couples should be counted in the census. The purpose of the census is to get data about the people of the United States. Not counting same-sex marriages would make the data inaccurate. I also agree with Dana and Mike. Not letting same-sex marriages be counted in the census would be discrimination. There have been many issues with discrimination in the U.S. and most of them have been solved. Same-sex marriages should be counted in the U.S. census because without it the data would be inaccurate.
Whether your interested in the same sex, the other sex, both, or whether you've changed sex; I think a marriage should be acknowledged. No matter what. I agree with Kyle, if you love someone, you should be able to be with them forever. I think the fact that same-sex marriages are being counted means we are taking one step towards absolute equality. We can't be truly equal if we can't acknowledge even uncomfortable views and beliefs. I really think that they should be counted, no doubt about it. Same-sex couples are not a huge minority, 150,000 unofficial couples. So why shouldn't we count this group of people in our Census? For those who don't believe that a same-sex couple is an okay thing, we can't make progress without making sacrifices, though to me accepting same-sex couples is not a sacrifice.
I think the fact that same sex marriages are going to be counted in the 2010 census is a big step for the U.S to be more open to change. Homosexual marriage has never been accepted in the U.S and I doubt it ever will be but I do think this will help open people’s minds to change. Same sex marriages should be counted because just because the marriage is not between a man and a woman that doesn't mean they don't love each other. The world is changing and more people are coming out about being gay and we are going to have to learn to accept it. Just because I would never be homosexual does not mean others can't and I think the government is starting to realize that gay people be married too. I do think that same sex marriages should be counted because these people are still couples even though they are not a man and a woman. This will also help us to get a more accurate population. I think all things about counting same sex marriages will help our nation unite.
I think that that the government is counting same sex marriges because more people are freely expressing the way they feel. I think that it is ok that they are counting same sex marriges on the Census. In our Constitution, it says that people have freedom of expression so why would they not count same sex marriges? Same sex marriges are people expressing themselves, if they didn't count it, wouldn't that be going against our Constitution? Maybe some people don't agree with the idea of two people of the same sex get married, but its happening all around them and they can't do anything to stop it. THe Census is not about the people who work for the governments opinions on this subject, so why would they record someone as not married if they are, even though its not to the opposite sex.
I think that both heterosexual and same sex marriges should be recorded in the Census.
I agree with Katie S. and Kyle C. Same sex marriages aren't bad. For most of us, it may seem like it's 'going against the grain'. It doesn't matter if you're the same sex as the person you're in love with. People shouldn't treat it like it's some weird thing that shouldn't be allowed.
I think it means that people are not going care to much about same sex marriages. It wil make a big increase and I agree with Katie S. they should be counted and if you love someone you can be together forever. It should be counted in the census in 2010. People will have freedom to marry any kind.I will not be homsexual but some other people are. ( not to be mean but I kind of think its alittle weird). but its not my choice its my opinion. It will still be a big step. If you agree thats no problem if you disagree thats no problem either. I agree with alot of these comments and their all very good.
I think that the people in the u.s should have the right to do what ever thay want. but it is also sorta weird that people of the same sex want to get married. but i do not know what you guys think so i cant really make that desion for my self. but yes i do think tht they should be counted.
I think that there are just more same-sex marriages and the government is just trying to record it for statistics. I also think that same-sex marriage is ok. The only thing that makes them different is that it's two people of the same gender. That doesn't change the fact that they love each other and want to be together. I agree with Amanda when she said that the government should count same-sex marriages because even though the relationships are not between a man and a woman, these people are still couples.
I think it means that the U.S is trying to see how many people are the same sex couples. I think it might be a concern to them since if there is more and more of the same sex relationships that they aren’t going to have more children. This means that the population is going to keep decreasing. I think that they should count the same sex marriage because everyone is different and has different feelings for other types of people but they should still count. EVEN THOUGH THAT IS SO WRONG.
I think that the US Census Bureau has noticed that more same-sex marriges have ocured since 2000. More people are marrying the same sex. In my opinion, I don't believe in same-sex marriage. But, it's not my choice. I agree with Kyle C that if you love someone there's nothing wrong with being married to them. I do believe that it is a sin to be homosexual, but I also feel that an act of love is much more powerful than an act of God. I do think that the Census Bureau should count same-sex marriages because if more people are marrying the same sex, then there are more marriages to count. And if the Bureau is supposed to keep track of marriage, then why not count same-sex marriage? It's the same thing, except it isn't a heterosexual marriage. So I do believe that the US Census Bureau should count same-sex marriage and heterosexual marriage. There is nothing wrong with being married to someone that you love. Some people shouldn't say that it is wrong, because it's not your choice. No one asked you to marry someone of the same sex. Some people don't understand that it's not their bussiness to try to tell people how to run their lives. So I do believe the Bureau should count it.
Like Sarah, I totally agree with Katie and Kyle...and Sarah. If you're really in love with someone, no matter what sex they are, it's still love I guess. Although a lot of people don't agree with it, I really don't see anything wrong. It's not like they're hurting anyone, but Nick, it's really wrong to judge people like that. So what if they're like that? Doesn't make them bad people! But believe what you believe I guess, but I still think it's wrong to judge like that. Like Katie said, if you truly, truly love someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them, there really should be no one stopping you if that's the case.
I think that it is okay for same sex marriages. I also think that it is okay for the US to count them. Why not? They're just like everybody else exept they like their own gender. I think it's a good change for the United States. It may make the gays feel more apart us. I like the idea. They're married so why not count them like straight people. I really like the idea because we shouldn't treat them differently because of what gender they're intersested in. Some people may not agree with me but everybodies entitled to their own opinion. I don't like the fact that only some states allow same sex marriages to happen. So finally it will happen in every state. So 2010 will have a change and people will have to learn to respect gays like normal people whether they like it or not.
I think that in the U.S, same-sex marriages mean they we are changing. But not in a bad way. The U.S has already started to change and it was going to happen at some point. Am I right? People should have the freedom and right to marry, date, or be a couple with whomever they would like. It’s not like this is something new in our country. We’ve been around long enough to notice same-sex marriages and couples, and we all probably know some one who is in a same-sex marriage or couple, and we, or any other citizens, shouldn’t discriminate to those who are involved in a same-sex marriage.
I also think that the Census Bureau should count all same-sex marriages. If we don’t, it is pretty much discriminating and we’re treating these people differently than we should be. They deserve to be treated fairly. I mean, how much different are they. The people that we know who have same-sex marriages, isn’t it their personality that really matter and that we care for them because they are the people that they are and they are happy that way? That’s another thing. Shouldn’t it be what makes us happy? Why would you want to be married to some one, knowing you don’t love them, or that it just isn’t the kind of person you are. And if you are a person in same-sex marriage, how awful would it be to know that people don’t want to be friends with you or talk to you because your in a same-sex marriage.
I think that counting same-sex marriages is important and that the government is realizing the number of same-sex couples is rising so the way we do things should be changed to follow. Same-sex couples are that different from male and female couples (except for the obvious) so really why didn’t we think about counting these couples in our census before? I feel that adding these couples to our census is a step forward; times are changing and more people are looking for same sex marriage. Also I think that adding this to our census would make things just a little more accurate and maybe help our government realize that maybe every state should make marriage for same-sex couples legal. I do feel that same-sex couples should be counted as married in our census. I agree with Melissa that our Constitution says that people have the freedom of expression. Forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t excluding same-sex couples from the census going against our Constitution in a way? I mean what if opposite sex marriages were counted as unmarried partners like same-sex marriage were before? It wouldn’t seem to fair to those in an opposite sex relationship would it? No, so I feel that this new addition is going to be a positive change for America and some fair treatment for same-sex couples.
i think that same marrage couples should not be in the cences bureau. one because they can't have childern but they could adoped. two why would you want to marry a person of the same sex.an three i think it is jest wrong,
I dont have any problem with same sex marriges. I think it should be allowed. I think this because if a spouce is in the er the other spouce is allowed in no questions asked. If you do not have a counted and/or an official marrige you will not be let in. I that the Census Bureau should count same-sex marriages. That is a natural right.
I agree with Joesphine and i think that the government is trying to keep a closer tab on how many same sex marriages are going on throughout the U.S. This could be a good thing. It may mean that once the government sees how many people are married with the same gender they will work harder to make them as equal as heterosexual marriages. I don't really know if the Census Bureau should count same sex marriages or not. The reason why I'm split is because if they aren't included in the count then they might not be discriminated for their beliefs. On the other hand, they may feel left out because they aren't treated the same why as heterosexual married people. A solution to this problem would be that maybe if the same sex married people didn't want to be seen that they are lesbian, gay, etc. then they can tell the interviewer and they wont include them in public information, just in the information the government will see.
bah bye =]
I think it means that the gov. is trying to count how many same sex marriages there are in the US. I believe that same sex marriages should be counted because, its not fair that they should be skipped over just cause they have different beliefs. Just like in the holocaust the Jews were being treated differently because of a belief. And also the US is trying to change its old ways. For example, we use to decimate again black people, but know we have a black president. So if we start to count same sex marriages it will be a step in the right direction. And it will show the world how far the USA had come.
I think same sex couples should be aloud because people should be able to like who ever they want. I agree with sean that it shouldn't be aloud in public because little kids will see them and want to do the same thing. i know if i had a kid i wouldn't want them to see gay people and think it is normal. In my opinion it is very weird and is freaking me out.
Well, MY opinion on what it means that the government is now counting same-sex marriages is that even though not everybody is accepting of same-sex marriages, the US is now more accommodating towards same-sex couples, and they can express themselves and their choices more freely nowadays. The “LGBT” group can feel more a part of the community, as they should.
Should the Census Bureau count same-sex marriages or heterosexual marriages as it has always done? My opinion? I believe that the Census Bureau SHOULD count same-sex marriages. They’re people so they should be treated like it; am I right? If we don’t include them, isn’t just as bad as not counting the blacks in the 1800s? By discriminating LGBT groups, isn’t just as bad as when we were discriminating the African Americans? Even if I might feel awkward or uncomfortable about gays, it doesn’t mean I dislike them and it certainly doesn’t mean that I hate them. There is a saying that says, “Love is love no matter what.” And I believe that is true, so why can’t we just include them the way they are?
I don’t think that some people comprehend the fact the population of gays is growing, and that there is nothing WRONG with people making that decision. It’s not up to people to go into someone’s personal life and change their choices. The LGBT group is growing, and there is nothing people can do to stop it.
To end this on a final note, I will say that I believe that the Bureau should count same-sex marriages for they are people, just like everyone else.
I think it means that the government is trying to get an idea of how many people choose gay marriage. I think they might use this to see who has the better idea of things: The people for gay marriage or the people against it. If their is a very large percentage of the population that is in a married relationship with a partner of the same sex, the government would be able to see the whole picture in whats happend in the past decade. And why not choose a better time to do this than the Census? I think that the Census Bureau should count same-sex marriages because it's not that much different than a regular marriage. I think this makes perfect sense.
I really think that same sex marriages should count. I feel it should really count on who they are on the inside. If two people love eachother then they should have the right to get married, no matter their sex. If you saw a man and a woman together, and then a man and a man together, yes it might seem out of the ordinary, but who are we to judge who they really are. If people mark themselves as the opposite gender on the cencus, then I say so what, they should have the right to concider thenselves who they really feel like on the inside. Marking the cencus wrong doesn't seem like a big problem to me because it still counted as a person.
I agree with Kyle on this...you should marry the person you are in love with...and like Jordan said, other people shouldn't be in your business about your love life. People shouldn't really care or bother someone about it. It's no big deal. If the U.S. Census included same-sex marriages, a lot of people would be included from the United States. Well ya it's a free country and that's why people shouldn't care about same-sex marriages, but as a country we should be included in most things as a country, for example all of us being included in the U.S. Census. I can also guarentee that some of us even know people who are interested in the same sex as themselves, and I do to...and if u think it's weird, but then you know a couple of the same sex, don't think it's awkward if you are friends with them. I don't care about it, I mean it happens...the whole world doesn't have to be perfect...I mean it can be but it doesn't have to be. The Census Bureau should include the same-sex marriages, its a good thing to include them in things instead of leaving them out of things like some people do...just ignore them. I think that it wouldn't be a problem if the same0sex marriages counted in the U.S. Census Bureau
Ok. First off, I would like to say that I am not going to go out of my way to be pollitically correct in this post.
I don't believe in that stuff.
Oh yeah, and these articles pretty much made me sick.
What I think about the U.S. Census Bureau counting gay, lesbian, bi, and trans marriages is that it shows how messed up and corrupted this country is becoming. I definitely agree with Nick O. God made a man and a woman for a reason. Not a man and a man, not a woman and a woman… duh…get it yet??? So that means I guess I don’t agree with everyone who supports counting homos, bis, and trans’s. I’m not saying that those people have fewer rights and duties or anything, but I think it’s just wrong.
In the census, the GLBT’s should count as people, but not couples. In my mind, a couple is a man and a woman, nothing else. Anything other than that is weird.
C)x
I think counting same-sex marriage in the 2010 Census means that more people are finally being interested in recognizing same-sex marriage and including them in more of what the country does. I think many people are becoming more aware and accepting of same-sex marriage. I agree with Amanda when she said that this is opening the countries eyes more about homosexuals and that people have never really accepted them and they probably never fully will. It’s an odd concept for people to accept they have to get used to it over time. In my opinion I think that they should count same-sex marriage in the census because they already count a regular marriage and unmarried. Same-sex marriage is also a kind of marriage so it shouldn’t be left out. I think that same-sex marriage is ok to have because they love the person they are with so they should be allowed to be with them. Just because someone is the same gender as their boyfriend or girlfriend doesn’t mean they can’t be together if they love each other that’s all that matters I believe anyway. It is unfair to leave out a certain type of person because it looks like you are discriminating against them. Also, even if people who are married to the same gender were afraid to share that information, they would be insured that it is classified and wouldn’t be used against them in any way. Same-sex marriage shouldn’t be left out or discriminated against.
I think the government is just trying to find out how many people are in a same sex realationship. On a show i am watching right now called Modern Family there is a gay couple. I agree with sean and bria about how younger kids might not understand it and there are many people who are in a same sex realationship. I think they should count in the population too. I think that they should count even though I don't agree with it at all.
I think it means that the U.S is trying to see how many people are the same sex couples. I think that it's fine if two people of the same sex get married. This is a free country and they should be able to do what they want. If people are haveing a problem with this, well then think about it,maybe some people just don't like the oppisite sex and don't feel comfortable with them. Same sex marrige is helping people with there lives and making them happier. Also if people are worried about the same sex marrige people not having children, well they can always adopt a child and that dosent mean that that child is going to be intrested in the oppisite gender. So i feel that every person has there own right to who they whish to spend there life with. I do know some peole that have made this decisson in life and there happy and are just like any one else in the world. Let every one chose for them self and don't judge them on what decision they have made in there life. So same sex marrige should be alowd and part of the census.
For starters, I think that same sex marriages should be counted in the 2010 US Census Bureau. I Think it means that the Census is beginning to open up more and letting certain things be allowed. I also think it means that the marriages are happening more and more so the census is letting them be called marriages. I think that it also means that America is going to change in the next few years, it will change in a way of people being more divers in their choices and that I think the country is going to ease up on a lot of the laws, for many different things. I think that they should count both because they both serve the same treatment, and they are both equal even with us other than the choices of their partner. Also if you truly love the person you should be able to be called what every you want to be called with out judgment and without being put into your own category, so even if there is categories then you should be able to be in what ever one you would like to be in.
I think that having same-sex couples be counted in the Census means that gay people want to have a voice, and be heard and not feel alienated. They also want to feel like they do have rights and not like there outcasts just because they are different. I also think that in a way by not letting them be counted in the census, it’s like discrimination. I think this because your taking a group of people and not letting them do or say something just because they act different, or dress different then most people. I also agree with Zoe, I think that once the government realizes how many same-sex couples there are, that the government and other people will try to treat them as equally as heterosexual people. And why shouldn’t we? They are human beings just like the rest of us are. They are just attracted to the same gender, like alli said. We shouldn’t let the have any less say in the government, or not let them be counted in the Census Bureau because of it. But I don’t think that they should get married, and I still think that it is wrong, but we shouldn’t judge or discriminate against them just because we might not live that way, or agree with that choice of lifestyle.
Same-sex marriages are being counted in the U.S. census that means that people are recognizing gay people. They are accepting differences in people.I think gay couples should be counted in the census. The purpose of the census is to get data about the people of the United States. Not counting same-sex marriages would make the data inaccurate and thats not good it has to be at a balance.Not letting same-sex marriages be counted in the census would be discrimination .God loves everyone and if he really thinks that gay marrige is against christain belifes then he would have never made people gay.
I feel that maybe it shouldn't be included in the census because I'm sure most of these people want their privacy. Though it would make a lot more sense if they were, our country is changing and same sex marriage is getting bigger. These people have a right to be included. If you don't include them along with everyone else then you might as well say it's not right to have same sex marriage. You might as well say these human beings aren't people, that they're different, strange, and even that something is wrong with them. Well there isn't, they are people just like us and they have a right to be included. Like Taryssa said, it’s like the Holocaust, thousands of Jewish people were killed because of a belief, they were looked down upon and some who weren’t even Jewish were killed just because they “looked” that way. We don’t want a repeat of anything like that even if people won’t be killed. Just because they didn’t marry the same sex doesn’t mean they should be treated different. So in my opinion they should be included in the census, even if some of us think same sex marriage is strange or gross or weird because these people are not, one of us could have same sex marriage. We are no different from them.
I think same-sex marriages shouldn't be a category on the Census Bureau’s population records and should stay as is. This might show the states that made same-sex marriage illegal to arrest the ones who are and that’s not fair. People who are gay should have every right to get married and all 50 states should make it legal, although I think being gay is creepy and weird to begin with.
I agree with Renata that the reason for sam sex marriages being counted means that more people are noticing it and more people are turning gay. We are hearing about more and more gay people because now the US Cenus Bureau is counting them as part of teh Census.This is good for the gay people because they are finally starting to be accepted for who they are. Also I guess its okay for them to be counted (even though I think its pretty disgusting) because its what makes them happy and I love when people are happy. On top of that they are human beings too and they have rights so they are allowed to show their affection to the same sex. Many people will be mad because of this gay marriage right, but if they really had to think about it would they want to be misserable for the rest of their life because they couldnt marry the love of their life. Finally I agree with REbekah and Zoe that the government finally noticed that there are more and more gay couples and that is why it is good that they made this law.
I think the government is planning to count same sex marriage because they want to recognize the different types of marriages. They want more accurate data on the population that they didn’t have before because they didn’t count same-sex couples as married. I think the government should count same-sex marriages so they can be more accurate. I agree with Clara W. that by counting gay couples in the census, the government is recognizing that people are maybe accepting differences more. I also agree that by not counting same-sex marriages it would make the data inaccurate and they want the census to be as accurate as possible. I also agree with Mike that not counting same-sex marriages is discrimination. The census counts race, gender, age, educational level, occupations, and all sorts of other things. Why not count same-sex marriage?
I think that it means there are more same-sex marriges and the government is recording it. Maybe it is to let the people know, but i don't know. I have no issue with same-sex marriges. The gay couples can't help that they are gay. So, We shouldn't take that away from them if it makes them happy. How would you feel if you weren't allowed to be with the one you love? Its just not right. Let gay people be gay. It's their choice what they want to do with their lives.
i think same sex marriage is normal. People get to decide whom they want to be with, and it's no body else's choice. People who like the same sex aren't different from anyone else, or anything like that. They should be able to like/love who ever.
i think that same sex marriages should be counted as reglar marriages. i think this because gay people should have the same rights as stright people.it is not their fault that they are gay.This is what the choose and it is deffentily a-okay
I think that same-sex marriages should be counted as regular marriages. because gay people should have the same rights as straight people because its not there fault that they are gay.
I think it doesent matter what you want to do with your marrage because it is your choice and what does it matter because its not like it is a discrase to somebody and itand gay people should be treated the same
I think that same sex marriges should be counted because everyone is a person and if you love someone it shouldn't matter. I think that you should just be happy with who you are in love with and not care what anyone else thinks. But I still think they should be aloud, but sometimes people might not want others to know what sex they marry because love is often a very personal thing. I don't think that people should care what sex you are in love with because it is not their feelings so they shouldn't be rude about it. I completlly disagree with Nick O. I think that Kyle C. has a much better point. If you didn't know the person that was gay then you would probley make fun of them (if you were rude) but if they were family or yourself you wouldn't. So, to conclude I think that diffrent sex marriges SHOULD be included in the 2010 Census
I think that same sex marrage should be counted.I dont think that its right but how could they tell someone that is wrong to love a person of the same sex? I honestly think its a sin for the government to be telling them that they cant love somebody. Yes i think they should count as same marriages theres really no difference bewteen gay marriages and heterosexaul marriages, there still loving a person and there doing the same thing in gay and heterosexaul marriges.
I think that same sex marrige should be counted as a maired couple. But i think that it is still wrong because when we were made we were intended to make children and if we mix that up i dont know what would happen. I also dont think that it is right because if some poeple start having same sex marriges alot more poeple will think that its ok and if too many people get married to the same sex the wolrd populattin could go donw the drain.
I think that heterosexual marriges are completly nomarl because if we dont go gay the population will be completly normal and really nothing bad will happen. The only problem is if AIDS gets around same sex marriges that could be really bad. Thats why i think that same sex merriges should be counterd but i still think that its really wierd!!
also i think that if someone gay is not counted in the census the government is pretty much saying gay people are NOT PEOPLE. which is a horrible thing to do on the governments part. People dont seem to understand that this is more important than it seems to gays.
I believe that the U.S. Census should definately include gay marriage in their polling. It does not seem right to just cast them aside like that. I think that even though some people have differing opinions about it, it should be counted. Also, if the Census does actually poll about it, they may find that a lot more people are gay and married than they first thought. It' almost like the three fifths compromise, not fully counting a sum of people. I also think that it seems rediculous to offer a group marriage but then to not count it as marriage. It just doesn't make sense. When Census does count these polls, I think it will be surprising to find how many gay marriages there really are. It also kind of shocks me that the U.S. Census might not have counted them, I don't think it should matter to them that much.
I agree with scott. It is your choice. I personaly think that same sex marriage is 100% fine. It is another person's life. Let hem decied what they are going to do with it. I think it is wrong not to count gay marriage. Because it is wrong to take away rights of people just because of what sex they are atracted to.
I think that there should be a counting in same sex marriage in the 2010 Census. If you don’t it just wouldn’t be fair; it’s like saying that you don’t count if you have green eyes or blacks. The only reason this topic came up is because people are finally starting to realize that these kinds of marriages are out there and are starting to accept them. It is something that you have never really talked about before so it is hard to get an understanding but in the end I think that people will come to they don’t count in our world. I agree with Taylor when she said that there are already people being counted for a regular marriage and are being counted if they are not married so why not accept this kind of marriage also. I also agree with her when she said that if a person felt as if someone was going to use that information against them they would have to be insured that this could never happen; the only reason they were doing this was to get a general count. The idea of same sex marriage counted is not going to be liked/agreed upon throughout the world just like some people don’t like Jews or blacks, it’s going to happen. People have to take that into consideration and then make a vote.
Post a Comment