Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day: Like it or Lose it?

Read the excerpts below and watch the two videos and answer the following question: Should we celebrate “Columbus Day” to honor Christopher Columbus or should we re-name the holiday, perhaps “Native Americans Day?” Explain your answer. By the way, Columbus' men were Spaniards.
____________________________________________________

[Bartolome de las Casas was a Spaniard from the 1500s who wrote about what he saw Christopher Columbusand other Spaniards do to Native Americans. Below are some of his writings.]
... And the [Spaniards], with their horses and swords and pikes began to carry out massacres and strange cruelties against [the Native Americans]. They attacked the towns and spared neither the children nor the aged nor pregnant women nor women in childbed, not only stabbing them and dismembering them but cutting them to pieces as if dealing with sheep in the slaughter house....
….After the wars and the killings had ended, when usually there survived only some boys, some women, and children, these survivors were distributed among the Christians to be slaves…[the Spaniards sent] the men to the mines to dig for gold, which is intolerable labor….the men died in the mines and the women died on the ranches from the same causes, exhaustion and hunger. And thus was depopulated that island which had been densely populated...
_______________________________________________________
[The excerpts below, from a New York Times article, quote William J. Connell, a historian at Seton Hall University.]
''But for a lot of individuals, the symbolism of Christopher Columbus was that of a voyage of freedom. It really was the start of the globalization of our world.''
As Mr. Connell noted, ''When history is made in this kind of fundamental way, there are also costs.''
''Columbus strikes me as a person of his time,'' said Mr. Connell. ''He was eager to push the envelope to go farther, to take the skills and the learning of the Renaissance in order to do something glorious.''
As a man of the Renaissance, Columbus operated under a set of assumptions that ''sound terrible to modern ears,'' Mr. Connell allowed. ''He justified slavery in the Caribbean as being a way of bringing people into the Christian faith.''
Moreover, widely spread accounts that Columbus's followers wiped out the Taino people of the Caribbean were inaccurate, says Jorge Estevez, himself of Taino lineage, who is a program coordinator at the National Museum of the American Indian in Manhattan. Mr. Estevez says that although many natives were murdered, fell victim to European diseases, or were taken captive, others intermingled with the Spanish settlers. And the settlers who were given Tainos as slaves were required to pay taxes on them, resulting in the undercounting of the Tainos as a form of tax evasion and leading to reports of their eradication.
''Columbus didn't start slavery,'' said Mr. Connell. ''He brought the entrepreneurial form of slavery to the New World. It was a phenomenon of the times. With all great figures of the past, we need more understanding, critical understanding that sees the person's flaws and the inaccuracies and myths that have arisen around him, but we shouldn't forget the tremendous changes that they created.''
The scholar went on: ''I think we have to be very careful about applying 20th-century understandings of morality to the morality of the 15th century.''
_______________________________________________________

Video #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQRcENzOMU&feature=player_embedded#

Video #2: “Man and Myth”
http://www.history.com/video.do?name=culture&bcpid=1681694254&bclid=1675979280&bctid=1577897715

77 comments:

Austyn.F said...

I think we should'nt name the holiday Columbus Day because it was'nt only Christopher that discovered it; it was him and his crew of Spaniards. I dont think it should be called Native American Day eaither because the Native Americans were already settled on what we call the United States of America, and we did'nt know about it. I thnik it should be called "A new Beginning" because it was a day of new things and discovery.

kyle clark said...

i believe that we should not call it Columbus day because, Christopher Columbus was not a nice man at all. Although many people believe that he stole from the Native Americans. I would like to say that he did not steal from them. He was searching the land and came upon corn. His crew felt that the Native Americans would not be very happy if they just simply took the corn and went on their way. So he left beads for the Native Americans. Now back then corn was not very valuable to people except for the Native Americans but Christopher Colmumbus and his crew learned to enjoy what they had and eat it. Now going back to the subject at hand, this wonderful holliday should indeed be called "A day of new foundation" simply because Cristopher culombus and his crew founded a new foundation persay for people to live on and a new land mass for us to be raised on.

Dylan F said...

From what I know of is that Christopher didn't really even discover America which irritates me to know that the Native Americans technically discovered America first so therefor i dont really believe Christopher Columbus was the actual "First person to discover America." Most likely in my opinion it was the prehistoric migrations from Asia over the land bridge who actually discovered America Columbus. But also the first foreign visitors who left proof of there culture leaving proof was Leif Eriksson around 1000 I think. Personally my family considers Columbus Day Leif Eriksson day because he was a norseman and who was the first visitor from Europe I believe.

Hannah R. said...

I think that we should change the name because Christopher wasn’t the only person behind this day that we celebrate. We should change it to Native Americans Day because they had already discovered what Columbus said he found. He doesn’t even deserve to have a day named after him, because of all the pain he caused the Native Americans; he killed anyone he saw. He didn’t even spare new born, pregnant women or little kids; who a sound to me isn’t someone to be respected. Even though he discovered practically the other side of the United States, he did it in a cruel way that didn’t need to be done. He brought slavery into the U.S. and it spread into the Caribbean; and has become a worldwide problem. The kids, women and men who survived all this were but into slavery and they ended up dyeing anyway; mostly because of hunger and exhaustion. Columbus wasn’t a bad person he just wasn’t a good person and to me, I don’t think a day that we take off should be named after him. If we name it Native American Day we take a day off for all the Native Americans who were and killed and died that day. Even though it doesn’t say it, we will have this day because of Christopher Columbus did all of this; it might not be something to be proud of but it’s a start.

Chase D said...

I think we should call Columbus Day Native American Day. I think we should call it that to honor all the murdered and enslaved Native Americans. The Native Americans were the actual founders of America. It disgusts me what Christopher Columbus did to the Native Americans how he didn’t care what age, health, or condition the Native Americans were in. Christopher Columbus and the Spaniards attacked the towns and spared neither the children nor the aged nor pregnant women nor women in childbed, not only stabbing them and dismembering them. They cut them to pieces as if dealing with sheep in the slaughter house. That is absolutely horrible. I don’t think we should celebrate and honor Christopher Columbus. What we should be really doing on the second of October is honoring the Native Americans that got murdered and enslaved on Columbus’s massacres.

Kayley B said...

I don't think it should be call Columbus Day because Columbus did horrible things to the native Americans.He killed a lot of innocent people, ruined their homes and started wars. He even made people slaves. Although he discovered the Carribean islands, he really didn't discover the U.S. I think we should celebrate the day but not call it Columbus day. We should celebrate how Columbus thought the world wasn't round and was willing to sail in a different direction. Many people thought the world was flat and you could sail off the Earth if you went too far. If Columbus didn't sail we might not be in the U.S. yet. Or, we could have a day for the Native Americans who died we Columbus came to America.

Kenneth B said...

I believe that Columbus Day should be changed. We should not celebrate the man but the meetings of the 2 races. The events that happened during those fate full months should not be celebrated but hated. Even though clombas found the Americas he could have done it in a piece full manner. When he sailed to America he not only took their recourses he took the lives of hundreds of people and of towns. If he had done it in piece full manner there might have been a better out come. But there might have been war with the natives and the Spaniards.

sam i said...

i think that it shouldnt be called clumbus day because becasue it wasnt just him it was his whole crew or evryone that was with him. i think that it should be called native americans day becsue even though there where native americans already he in the united states but they couyld have been called native emericans too.

Tristan M said...

I think we should keep Columbus day the same as it is today. I like columbus day because i think of it as the day that the united states was discovered. Even though Columubus found the caribean first.I think we should keep Columbus day.

Jared P. said...

We should keep Columbus because it’s a break from school and it gives us something to learn about and appreciate. He sailed around the world and found this land that no one that was a round the ocean new about so I think we should give this day in memory of him. What the new he could have been risking his life falling off the end of the earth.

Walshy :) said...

I believe that Columbas Day should stay the same because its symbolism of Christopher Columbus was that of a voyage of freedom.I think it should be named after Columbas because this is the day he discovered America. It really was the start of the globalization of our world. Therefore celebrating Columbas Day is good and we should not changetejh name to to Native Americans Day!

Alli Dr. said...

I think we should just keep the name Columbus Day. Everybody already knows the holiday so why change it. Even though he did bad things like killed people and started wars, I think we should keep it. Columbus didn't find the US, only the Carribeans, but why change it? People will still call it Columbus Day. Columbus didn't think teh world was round and wanted to proove it so he was brave and sailed. That is something to remember him for. Even though some people may not be proud of him because of the slavery he started, the women and children he killed and everything else, we can remember him for being brave, right? That is why I thnk we should keep the name Columbus Day.

Taryssa K said...

Everyone has their own opinions but mine is we should celebrate Columbus Day but we should rename it. It’s not fair to have someone else do all the work and let another person get the glory. This is along the same lines as cheating which is a terrible thing to do. I personally think it should be called native America day because they were they before Columbus .And it was him who pushed them out. Both ways it was a time of violence because they were fighting for new land and the native Americas were forced out of their home. Columbus Day should either be canceled of the day changed because it’s not a day to honor.

Drew H said...

I think it should be called Columbus day because Chridtopher Columbus dicovered it with his own eyes. Why should we change the name of the holiday if no one has a problem or complaines about it?
Christopher Columbus was the first one to ever step foot on the 13 Colonies which then got changed into the United States. Also it gives us something to learn about and appreciate the fact that we wouldn't have this day if it wasn't for Christopher Columbus. Why wouldn't it be called Columbus day if he dicovered it? In my opinion the best name to have for the day is the last name of the guy who dicovered America.

RJ H. said...

I think the holiday should be renamed because maybe if he never came we would've never had slavery. Blacks would've been equal. Why should we praise a man who tortured our own kind? I say that he was a villain not a hero. In fact, he should've been arrested.

Meredith D. said...

I think that Columbus Day should stay as it is and it shouldn’t be renamed. Columbus is, after all, responsible for everything we have and everything we are today. Some people remember Christopher Columbus and the Spaniards for the bad things and the bad choices they made, which includes killing many innocent Native Americans, but I like to remember him for the good things he did. He discovered the United States, and I definitely think that we should greatly appreciate that. It was really the beginning of globalization of our world. Just because the holiday is named after him, doesn’t mean that we are celebrating everything he did (killing the Native Americans). We are simply appreciating the fact that if it weren’t for Christopher Columbus, nothing would be the same as it is today.

Cameron C-I said...

I think the holiday should be renamed Native Americans Day because Chistopher Columbus was a very horrible and tempermental man. In fact he stole gold and valued goods from the Native Americans. I also believe the spanish should have minded their own business traded with the Native Americans instead of harming them. This whole scenario just shows you how power, money, and greed can drive people to do such horrible things. This is why the very first people and I mean the very first should get the credit for actually discovering a new country. Not some man who was sent by some greedy and power hungry country who ended up doing such horrid things.

SammyPie said...

I think Columbus Day should be kept the name is has because it it the name it has always been. Some people might has issues with changing it because they grew up celebrating Columbus day and it might have been very special to some people. We all know the story behind Columbus day so why just change the name?

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter jelly time! >.<

Kaycee L. said...

I think that Columbus Day should be renamed. This is becuase he didnt find the United States, the Native Americans did. Also, why would we name it 'Columbus Day' when the day should be called ' Native American Day". Columbus is not a bad person to me, i just don't think that it's fair.

JORDAN W. said...

I think we should keep Columbus Day as it is. I mean he didn't really find this place, the native americans did but I think that its still how we came to
America.. I think that the killing of the native americans was horrible but we are past that now so I think it should still be called Columbus Day. Its a day to celebrate U.S.

Briana A said...

I don’t think that it should not be called Columbus Day. I mean what about all the other people who were with him? I have heard that Christopher was a total jerk too! That makes it even worse. What about those poor Native Americans they were there first and then Christopher came and took the land for himself. When more English settlers came they brought more diseases and it killed off many of the Native American. Chris even made some of them slaves. I think that we should celebrate the finding America, and the Native Americans who by the way were there first. I still think we should have the day off, but instead of thinking about Columbus think about the Natives.

Shaelyn R said...

I don’t think that it should be called Columbus Day. I mean seriously? Columbus Day? Think about what all of those Spaniards that were with him thought about that! Wasn’t Christopher Columbus kind of a jerk too? Well, that’s what it sounds like anyway. Oh yea, remember those Native Americans that were there first? I think that they deserve some credit for this “discovery” of his, and they also technically discovered it too. It was extremely mean and just disgusting to attack the towns and not even spare children or pregnant women. He cut the people up like dealing with sheep in a slaughter house! Is something not wrong with that? So I think that we should celebrate the Native Americans and definitely not Christopher Columbus.

Melissa S said...

I dont really think it's a big deal with keeping it Columbus Day but, i do see why it shouldn't be. Christopher Columbus wasn't the only one who discovered the new world. If he didn't bring along his crew he most likely would not have discovered North America. Actually really all he did was direct the crew on what to do. He didn't really even control where the ships were going. I dont really think that we should call it Native American Day either because the Native Americans didn't really discover the new world. Yes we should give them credi, after all they were there first but still we probably wouldn't even be celebrating this day if Christopher and his crew didn't come to the new world and claim it. If we were to rename this holiday, the name should give credit to Christopher and his crew.

Dana W. said...

I have mixed opinions about these questions. But, to get one thing straight, Christopher Columbus DEFNITELY didn’t discover America, he sort of REdiscovered it. Therefore, it is inappropriate to create a holiday (and a day off of school and bank holiday, mind you) in order to celebrate something that didn’t officially occur! Also, no one considers celebrating Columbus Day, except for the occasion scream of “HURRAY! NO SCHOOL!!” I consider Columbus Day one of those holidays where you watch it come and go, like Labor Day and Washington’s Birthday. These both have very important purposes, unlike Columbus Day. We can keep the holiday, but rename it so that it includes both the Indians AND Chris Columbus. Also note: If he “discovered” America on the 12th of October, then why do we celebrate it on the second Monday?

That being said, I also have my other half, who begs to differ. The Indians didn’t count living on what is now the U.S.A as “discovering” it. Therefore, Christopher Columbus DID discover it, even if he did think it was India! Thus, it is a national holiday. If we were to change it, we should definitely rename it. As I said before, it should include the fact that the Indians and Columbus were in it together, and that no one person discovered it by him (or her) self.

P.S. Well put, Shae. =D

Tia M said...

I think that the name Columbus Day makes it out like if Columbus hadn't sailed here accidently there wouldn't be a United States. And I think that eventually someone else could've sailed here on purpose. Columbus was looking for India, and India was not what he found. If Columbus had found India and not the United States, some explorer might have found the U.S. I don't believe that all the credit should go to him. By that statement the name should be changed to Native Americans, because they were here first. The Native Americans lived and thrived here. There's a possibility that if Columbus hadn't sailed here that the U.S. might not be the way it is now, but some explorer was bound to find it. I just think that since the Native Americans were here first they should get the credit for the U.S. That's why Columbus Day should be named Native American Day honoring the Native Americans for our country.

Clara W said...

I definitely think that Columbus Day should be changed or have a different name. Columbus wasn’t the first one to discover the Americas. The Native Americans were. Columbus didn’t even know that he had discovered a new continent. He thought he was in India. Columbus wasn’t all that special. He did sail across the ocean which was impressive, but when he got to land, he took over and killed the Native Americans. Unfortunately, not everyone knows the real story of Columbus and don’t want to change the holiday they have been celebrating all their lives. I think it is unfair to call the holiday Columbus Day.

Amanda P. said...

After reading this article I definitely don't think that Columbus Day should celebrate Christopher Columbus. First off Columbus did not find the new world by himself. He had a full crew of brave Spaniards who were just as willing to risk their lives as Christopher to find new land. Also Christopher did not find the new world, the American Indians did. They were there much longer then Columbus and were slaughtered for just living there! Columbus was crazy and all he wanted was money and to be famous, he had no good intentions other than for himself. Even though I don’t think the name of the day should be after Columbus I am not sure I would name the day after the American Indians either. I don’t think the American Indians did anything to deserve having a day named after them even though they did nothing wrong either. I think that Columbus Day should be called something that celebrates both the Spaniards and the American Indians because they both deserve credit for the beginning of our world.

Nathan O. said...

I agree with Amanda P. Columbus was a selfish man who just wanted money and riches all for himself. It wasn't his intention to go find a new continent. Also he didn't discover the "New World", he was only the first one from Europe there. The Native Americans were living there first, but then, oh wait, they get slaughtered and diced up like a juicy Big Mac at McDonalds. Truly disgusting. Columbus definetly does not deserve to have a day named after him. At the same time the Native Americans didn't do anything special, so why should they get a day for themselves also? I think a good compromise would be to name Columbus Day, Get-Out-There-and-Enjoy-the-Warmish-Weather-While-It-Lasts Day. It's funny how they never tell you this stuff in kindergarten...

Tommy M. said...

I am all for the idea of changing the name of Columbus Day. After reading the article and watching the video, I now know what a horrible man Christopher Columbus was and what awful things he did. I definitely think that name should be changed to Native American Day. I think we should change it because the Native Americans are really the ones who discovered America, and they to no credit for it. Instead, they got murdered, or were enslaved to the Christians. And after watching the video, he didn’t even achieve his goal! He thought he did. So is that why you should get a holiday named after you? Because you didn’t even reach your goal and you killed so many innocent children, women, and men because you want it to be your land!!! No. It should definitely NOT be called Columbus Day. From this point on, it should be known as Native American Day!

Zach M said...

I believe we should keep Columbus Day on the calender because Columbus did 2 great things that the Europeans thought weren't true. He showed that the earth is round not flat and the Americas did exist. In my opinion Columbus isn't cruel at all as they said he was, since he was a buisnessman from Italy he realy didn't want salverey but wanted goods for trade. The Spaniards, I believe were the ones who stared slaverey not Columbus.

Mairead R. said...

I think colombus day's name should be changed. Colombus sounds like a big jerk face.The Native Americans were here first and he wasn't the only one on the ship to discover America. He is also from spain so why should he be celebrated in America. He took a lot of things away from the Native Americans, like killing any Native Americans that got in their way and taking a bunch of land and things that they loved. They couldn't even make exceptions to children, old people, and pregnant women... that is not cool. I dont think he deserves to have such a special honor for us to give him a day to worship him for discovering the U.S. Somebody else was going to find it anyway, mabye some one better. That is just what i think.

Mike L said...

I think the holiday should be called Native American Day because I believe that Christopher Columbus does not deserve the credit that he discovered America. He was the third known person to believe that the Earth was round. When Christopher got to America, he thought he was in India, which is why he called the Native Americans, Indians. We came here and then we stole their most valuable possessions, their land and we enslaved them. Columbus was looking for a faster route to India and finding America was a mistake. I don’t think we should reward him for his mistake. The Native Americans deserve to have a holiday named after them after all they have been through. Although Christopher Columbus is famous and has his little rhyme, “In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue” he doesn’t deserve all the credit. The Indians are the ones who suffered, not him. That is why we should call it Native American Day.

Kelsey H.♥ said...

I believe that Columbus Day should be changed, or at the very least, change the name. Okay, first of all, those Spaniards are not the nicest people I’ve ever heard of. Who goes around massacring people, let alone pregnant women and children? Do they have no soul? Secondly, even if Mr. Columbus didn’t kill many innocent Native Americans (WHICH HE DID!), he did not find this land by himself. He had a crew of courageous Spaniards, who were surely risking their lives as well. Native Americans were forced into slavery, and harsh labor, but apparently, as one of the excerpts said, we need to understand that slavery was considered “in” at that time. I understand what that article is saying, but just because it was ‘the thing to do’ doesn’t necessarily make it the RIGHT thing to do. The Native Americans didn’t do anything wrong, and they didn’t deserve the treatment they received.

After reading these excerpts and watching the videos, I have grown to not really like the man I was taught that discovered the country we live in today. I am not saying that I hate him, but I certainly do not admire him. I agree with Miss Amanda P, Columbus didn’t have any good intentions for anyone other than himself, and was eager for money; a greedy, and as Amanda says, “crazy” man.

Even though I hold the belief that Columbus Day shouldn’t be named after Christopher Columbus, I don’t think it should be after the Native American’s either. Native Americans did live there, yes that is true, but if Christopher Columbus didn’t “discover” America, it would definitely not be the same. Sure, Spaniards brought diseases that hadn’t been introduced to the ‘New World’, but all the same, we probably wouldn’t be standing here today if it wasn’t for him and his crew. So perhaps, not naming it Columbus Day, or Native Americans Day, but something that combines the two would be better, for they both had an impact on how we live today.

PS.
I like the way you think, Shae. ; D

PPS.
Dana brings up a good point. If Columbus discovered America on October 12th, then why do we celebrate it on the second Monday of October?

Alex K said...

I donte think columbus day should be called columbus dAY. I think this because columbus wasnt rely the one who found america. The trew finders were the native americans. And columbes just went there and terned all the native americans into slaves and reped the womin.

Zoe H said...

I think we should rename Columbus Day but I don’t exactly think it should be called Native American Day either. In my opinion I think Christopher Columbus was a greedy man. I think all he wanted was to be in control because in the second movie it says that he wanted to find a trade route to become rich and wealthy. And on top of that, he totally disrespected Native Americans by ripping them out of their families and killing them. They were their first. That had been their home since the beginning of time and he just barged in and said “this belongs to Europe now.” By appointing himself governor of the entire region he could have easily banned slavery or done something to protect the Native Americans but he didn’t. The reason why I don’t think this holiday should be named Native American Day is in my opinion there should be something to remember the Natives that were killed but they didn’t exactly contribute to making the land what it is now. And of course Christopher Columbus would NOT have discovered the land without his trusty crew which had helped him and risked their life. They were enslaved and killed and had really no say in what happened there on out. Maybe a good name could be “Discovery Day” because the Europeans discovered the land. That’s what I think. 
P.S. I agree with Kelsey 100% 

Quinn O said...

I defiantly think that we should rename the holiday of Columbus Day but not get rid of the holiday overall. I think this because Columbus wasn't the first one to discover America the Indians were he basically discovered it again. Plus he had help from all his brave crew mates that actually got him there. He thought he was India but really he had landed in the West Indies; because of this I think it is not right to create a holiday our of something that never really happened. He did sail across the ocean and find a route between Europe and America just a different one that was planned. Also on that same day he did though on that day help discover the most of the western hemisphere and create trade routes between the two hemispheres. Though the bad part about it was that Columbus killed all those Native Americans just because they were on the island first. it didnt matter how old, young pregnant just anybody who wasn't with Columbus was considered the enemy. Those who escaped were kept as Christian slaves. Instead of getting rid of the holiday completely i think it would be appropriate to change the holiday so that the title actually fits the description of what actually happened. Why did they change the date of when he landed?

Summer M. said...

I think that we should change the name to Native American day. I think this because Columbus didn't even discover America. In fact he was one of the last people to discover it. Another reason is because he wanted to go somewhere, where he could get spices to make him, and Spain very wealthy. So in 1492 he took his three ships to Asia, in the best way he knew, but all the maps were inconsistent. He made some wrong decisions, he didn't realize how short the trip was actually going to be, he was of by 10 thousand miles. But he still thought he made it to India. When he first got on the land, he now knew that Indians were there, and had been living there before him, so there is proof that he didn't discover it, they had already been living there but according to the European perspective he was. That is also very unfair to the Indians, and no one even thought to consider them. That is why I think the Native Americans should have a holiday named after them.

Brittany S said...

I believe that Columbus Day should be changed to Native Americans Day becaue Columbus wasen't the fist to discover America. The Native Americans were and Columbus is getting to much for doing nothing. Ya he might of proved a point but had found something already discovered. So this day should be called Native Americans Day becaue Native Americans had found America before Colummbus did.

kimberly V. said...

Kelsey makes a good point, it's probably fair that we at least change the name of Columbus Day. Christopher Columbus was only the leader of this voyage. One video mentions that the Native Americans had found the West Indies and only the Europeans believed that Columbus founded the Amercias. Even so, renaming Columbus Day to something like Native Americans Day would make sense.
Also, the videos do change my mind about how I think about Christopher Columbus. As elementry school kids, I thought Columbus was an amazing and accomplished man who was why I am here today. Since I'm learing about how Columbus wasn't the first to discover the Americas, this might be a good time for a change. Maybe changing the name of this holiday would get people thinking about the real reasons (why, who, and, what) Columbus Day is celebrated for.

Amy D said...

Personally, after reading and watching the videos about Christopher Columbus, I was very surprised. We have never really been taught about him other than that he discovered America that I can remember. I honestly do not think that this is a holiday worth celebrating. First of all, he never really was the first one to discover America. Second, selfishly, he only did it for money. Third, many innocent people who already lived there were taken advantage of and killed. Fourth, because of Columbus, people still today are calling Native Americans ‘Indians’ which is incorrect. Last, President Nixon was the one who declared it a national holiday. I do not think this is something we should be celebrating and we should either stop celebrating it or rename it.

Kailee M <3 XD said...

I agree with Taryssa; it is our own opinion and we should still celebrate it but we shouldn’t just include Columbus in the holiday, we should include everyone, so it should be Native Americans Day. In the YouTube video (the first video), Paul Pasquariello made a good point when he said, “We should go back and read about it before we make any changes.” I think we should change it because it makes sense that it wasn’t just Columbus who discovered, it was everyone with him, but Paul makes a good point and it might have been Columbus mostly. I still think we should change it, for those reasons. Kelsey and Dana both make a good point; why isn’t Columbus Day celebrated on the 12th of October, instead of the second Monday in October. I mean it makes sense, but on the 12th of October which was this week, it has been exactly 517 years since our continent was discovered, and maybe people just want to keep it that way because Columbus discovered America on October 12th, the second Monday in October. We should change the name of this holiday, but still celebrate it, because if it wasn’t for them, we wouldn’t be here.
P.S. Shaelyn does make a good point about her reasoning. Columbus is a jerk!!!!!!!!!! XD

Serena M said...

After reading this and watching the videos I think that it shouldn't be called Columbus Day because it wasn't JUST Columbus who discovered it. It was his whole crew. Also he didn't discover it first. The Natives did. Also, the Spaniards, not the NICEST people I have ever heard of. The fact that they killed people, especially kids and pregnant women, harsh. Also to put they to work that hard! Really! The point is that Columbus was given all the credit, for something he didn't do alone! He had tons of help.

Sean Greene said...

I Dont think should be called Columbus Day becuase columbus was a very cruel man by inslaving slaves.I dont think he derseves the right to his on holiday just becuase he wander in the ocean and became lucky.I think the shoulnd change the name to be more acurate.

Unknown said...

I think we should keep it
cloumbus day or a different name besides Native American day. Even thought he was a terrible man if he did find the America's, i wouldnt be typing this, because we wouldnt be alive. Also we wouldn't have this country. Ok, he was only in it for the money, but still money was and is important most likely more back them. I think if we are going to rename it it should be something like America Day. I dont like Native American day because they didnt start start the colonys or the country they were just already there. Dont get me wrong it is horrible that Columbus killed and inslaved them, but that just makes him a bad man, it doesnt meen that if he didnt find the America's for Europe. I think it should be called something like America Day, and Native American Day should be its own holiday on at a different time.

Kyle G said...

I like the holiday and I think it should be called Columbus Day after all it was his ships and his voyage. But I do think that we should give some if the other people credit. When we teach little kids about Columbus Day we have to tell them that he was not really the first one to come to America. I also like this holiday because we all get a day off from school. This is a nice break that I would not like to miss. But I do think he is kind of stupid. He thought he was in India all of years he was here. He even named the people he met Indians. Because of the country India, how stupid.

Al White said...

I believe that even though Columbus Day has become a holiday that has become deeply rooted into American culture, we could make a change. Although I believe we should have a seperate holiday called Native American day, I think if we renamed Columbus Day we should name it something that has to do with our discovery of our country. One, it wasn't just Chris who discovered America. Two, he doesn't seem like the nicest fellow. I mean the guy killed women and children because he fancied gold. But I think he's become more of an American icon now, and people don't know what he did.

Nate S. said...

I am very indifferent about what Columbus Day should be about and called. Columbus did discover a new land and make a lot of trade. But, the trade was for the benefit of money and he didn't discover what he wanted to. I think that the natives of the land were tricked. Columbus could of easily sad what he was trading was good when it may not of been. Also, Columbus wasn't the only big time explorer. He just brought luck to Europe. Most people believe that Leaf Erikson discovered America. The problem is that this is already a holiday, so why change it? A lot of people have very different views. I think we should eathier re-name it to everyone's liking or get rid of it.

Renata M. said...

I honestly hate the fact its called Columbus day because Christopher did not discover America. I think it’s a great idea to call it Native Americans Day because they had already settled into America therefore they basically discovered America. Christopher took credit for what he didn’t find and people these days think he’s a hero but I think not. Its not fair at all he was also a terrible man which also is another reason for him not to have a day specially for him. The Native Americans should be respected for what they found and Christopher Columbus should just not be a so called “hero”.

William F. said...

I believe that "Columbus Day" shouldn't be called "Columbus Day". Columbus doesn't deserve his own holiday after the things he did. He killed people just for gold, he enslaved the Native Americans,and he didn't do it by himself. We should atleast give his crew some credit. But, I don't think it should be called "Native American Day" either. They didn't form the colonies,and they didn't start the our communitys either. We should simply rename the holiday. For an example a good name would be "Discovery Day" because it was the day America was discovered. Another good name would be "A New Beginning" as Austyn said because it was indeed a day of new beginnings and discoveries.

Emily C said...

I believe that Columbus Day should be renamed because if the definition of discovery is the process of discovering something, then Christopher Columbus did not really discover America. There were native people already living here. There is also some evidence that Vikings or other Europeans came to America long before Columbus did. We could call it Discovery Day to honor all the “discoverers” of the Americas whether they were Native Americans, Vikings or others. Christopher Columbus did do some terrible things. He and his men murdered many of the native people and made others their slaves. I think we should remember that he also did something important. If he did not decide to make his voyage to the Indies and write about his “discovery” of America, the history of our country might be completely different.

Sarah W. said...

I think that Columbus Day should still be Columbus Day. Traditions are traditions and to me changing the name could become complicated. Yes I do agree that Christopher Columbus was a greedy and selfish man but is changing the name of the holiday going to make us forget anything about that? If we decided to change it to Native Americans Day is that going to make us forget that Christopher Columbus discovered America? No it won’t. So maybe the solution to this is to change the way we celebrate this holiday. For example we could learn that yes Columbus did in fact discover America but we should also learn that his intentions were not pure to say the least. To me even though Columbus and his crew of Spaniards were jerks they truly did risk their lives to find this land so, they do deserve some credit hear. Should we really just give credit to the Native Americans for just simply being here first? No, I mean do you get credit just for handing in a blank sheet of paper or do you get credit for doing the work and not just the work but your best work? No, I don’t feel that Columbus was a fair or nice man but I do feel he does have to get credit for what he did. Since the Native Americans were here first we should give credit to them too but America, to me, wouldn’t be like it is today without the technology that Columbus and his men had. This crew of Spaniards made the ‘New World’ known and it is because of this reason that Columbus should get his own day. I agree with Kelsey when she said because of Columbus we are here in America!

taylor w said...

I think that columbus day should keep its name because although christopher columbus wasnt a great dude, and he wasnt the first to discover north america, he did make the voyage that made north america what it is today. If nobody had made that voyage, and people still thought the world ended at sea, then things would definetely be alot different. I challenge you to find anyone who disagrees.

Mackenzie D said...

Dont you think that we should change the name to Native Americans Day instead of Colombus Day? I think that we should do this because it isnt fair that someone takes the credit that someone else really did. Christopher Columbus had help from the rest of his crew, and also some Indians found the West Indies. Also, the video said that Christopher Columbus didn't discover that the world was round. So it doesn't make sense that this holiday should be only named after Columbus. It should be something like Native Americans day to give credit to everybody that helped.

zach said...

I think that we should rename Columbus Day because I think that we really should not honor him for finding America, because when he got here all he did was trick the natives into thinking that he was a good guy. But in the long run all he really did was trick the natives and then later torcerd people and even killed some of them as well. So do you think that we should have a special day for someone like him? I don’t, I think that we should rename the day to celebrate the Native Americans because they are the ones who in the long run lost everything. But don’t also get me wrong there is some e up sides of Columbus Day as well such as we get the day of but that is not a reason to celebrate him!

Zach N said...

I think that we should rename Columbus Day because I think that we really should not honor him for finding America, because when he got here all he did was trick the natives into thinking that he was a good guy. But in the long run all he really did was trick the natives and then later torcerd people and even killed some of them as well. So do you think that we should have a special day for someone like him? I don’t, I think that we should rename the day to celebrate the Native Americans because they are the ones who in the long run lost everything. But don’t also get me wrong there is some e up sides of Columbus Day as well such as we get the day of but that is not a reason to celebrate him!

Unknown said...

i think that we should rename colombous day to native american day because cristopher columbous even though he put the effort in to find the united states he wasnt the first one and he gets all of the credit when i think the native americans should get the credit. Also they were living there until all the settlers drove all the indians away so i think the indians deserve a slice of the cake for at least finding the united states even though they probally they didnt even know it

Bri♥N XD said...

I don’t think the name should be changed. I completely agree with Meredith, yeah, Christopher Columbus did some bad things, but I think we should remember him by all the good things he did. He discovered North America, and we should honor him for that. His discovery pretty much triggered immigration, if he hadn’t found out what a good country this was, people, our ancestors, wouldn’t have left their countries and most of us wouldn’t be here. We shouldn’t rename the holiday because of the bad things Christopher Columbus did, we should keep the name to remember the good things he did.

Anonymous said...

i am the man who did it. i am the 1 and only

Nick O said...

Hi everybody! In my opinion I belieave that we should not call this holiday Columbus Day! I say this because First off all It turns out that Christopher Columbus forced Native Americans into slavery and worked them to death! Why should we worship somebody who forced mankind into slavery? I see how some of you would dissagree with me But when you think about it he was really a selfish man. Sure he discovered America but he killed many people who were there long before he arrived and forced them into slavery! I would only be thankful that he found America but we could have shared the land with the Native Americans before all this fighting hapened! We could have been great friends at first sight!

aaron the king laranetto said...

i think that we should not have a day of becuase after i have researched i have found out that christopher columbus was not the one who really discovered america. If we were gonna celeberate it it shouldn't be callled columbus day becuase he wasn't the first discover. People also say that christopher columbus was a great man but after the reserch we did in spanish class the articles siad that he tourtred the indians and made them into slaves. although he did take the voyage sometime within time even if he didn't some group of people would of cam a wouldn't of been so mean to the indian peole. this would of caused a good vibe and possibly a better ralationship bewtween the people and, posssibly even a better america today.

Wes the best Meeker said...

Id like too keep the name because if we get ride of the name i dont think there would be another name that describes it as well as columbus day does. Also if we were to change the name What would it be? columbus day is when we discovered the U.S.

Katie T. said...

I think we still should have the day but change the name because columbus forced the native americans into slavery.He also took more credit for finding America, but there were Indians there already and they have been there for centuries so basicly he did not find it because he was not the firt there and those are the Indians that he turned into slaves and that wasn't very fair at all. So as some people say he was a good man and I half agree but he still was not fair. I do not no what the name should be but I still think Columbus Day should be changed.

Taylor We. said...

I think that we should rename Columbus Day. I think this because everyone thinks that he wanted to find the new land and prove that the earth was round and not flat. But in truth he didn’t care about proving if the earth was round, he only cared about finding new spices and other natural recourses because they came at a heft price back then and he wanted to be showered in riches. He was not even looking for any new land, he was on his was to Asia. The route that he took brought him to an island in the Caribbean that was a total accident. The Native Americans that were there wanted to help them and were being helpful and what did Columbus do? He murdered hundreds and put many into slavery. He said that putting people into slavery was a way of bringing them into the Christian Faith. How is that bringing people into a faith if along the way they are tortured and killed? Point is that Columbus didn’t care about the Native Americans no matter how much they tried to help him and his crew and it was just by accident that he found America. The credit should NOT go to him at all!

Katie said...

I don't really know whether or not I think it should be called Columbus Day. I think that Columbus Day should be called something different, like Explorers' Day. There were about a dozen people before Christopher Columbus who discovered America. This number includes the Russians who became the Native Americans. He was also a horrible person, he brutally killed many Native Americans like animals to be slaughtered. And then when the killing had ended, the survivors were distributed among Christians as slaves. But then there is the thought that, if he had not landed on what is now America, then things would be very different now. Life both here, and all over the world as we know it would be extremely different.

Katie S. said...

I don't really know whether or not I think it should be called Columbus Day. I think that Columbus Day should be called something different, like Explorers' Day. There were about a dozen people before Christopher Columbus who discovered America. This number includes the Russians who became the Native Americans. He was also a horrible person, he brutally killed many Native Americans like animals to be slaughtered. And then when the killing had ended, the survivors were distributed among Christians as slaves. But then there is the thought that, if he had not landed on what is now America, then things would be very different now. Life both here, and all over the world as we know it would be extremely different.

Josephine P said...

I don't think we should keep Columbus Day the way it is. Columbus didn't discover America, he though he landed in India. He brought diseases with him so the North Americans got very sick, he sort of started slavery in America, and didn't really even discover America. When we refer to him, we aren't really saying that he is the discoverer of America, but the best known person to have landed here. If he hadn't landed here, things might have gone a whole lot differently, and we could all be speaking French, but we should change the name of Columbus Day to something eles.

Rebekah G said...

i think it should be called columbus day becuase he opened the way for other people to have the desire to travel to america, also without christopher columbus peoeple would have never wanted to go and explore and see the new world. i deffenetly think that it should stay columbus day, even thought the native americans were there first, columbus made it so that eroupeans and other countries could find it, even thought christopher thought it was india, that doesnt matter beacuase even though it was a mistake nobody would be here, becuease he opened it for everyone to want to see and discover the new world. also he didnt start slavery like everyone is saying, and i dont think that the unviersity should call it fall day even if there is alot of history left out like what the native americans went through and all that, he still went and explored and showed us the new world and we shouldn't change the name of columbus day!

Sarah N said...

I agree with Katie S. I am unsure as well, but I too, feel Colombus Day should be called 'Explorers Day'or something else similar to that. Colombus wasn't the first too discover, what we call now, the United States of America. The Native Americans had already been living there for quite a while before Colombus came. But if Colombus hadn't come, then we wouldn't be here today. I think the credit should be spread equally from Colombus to the Native Americans.

Bryar G said...

I think we should not keep the name like that because Christopher Columbous probably isnt the first person to reach and discover America. Also, he tortured the natives and killed them. I think they should change it to America day or somthing like that.

King Eric said...

i am the king

conner f said...

i think columbus day should remain the same as it is today. because there is no proof that columbus killed and raped many people in the village he discovered. i think that if columbus discovered america the place we live in right now he should be commended for what he did. In the end I beleive that columbus day should stay columbus day; But if a minor change to the name should be made so we are celebrating finding America, and not the man that found America then i will accept such a change without argument.

King Eric said...

In the 1500s who wrote about christopher columbusand

Anonymous said...

i am black

ronald mcdonald said...

BUY SOME OF MY BURGERS

Katie Howard :D said...

My opinion is that I would like to keep Columbus Day because you can get a day off from school, plus there’s not a race to see what schools gets out first in the summer time. That is my opinion.

Gorgous Eric said...

soda tastes good like elvis viva las vegas!!!@@$#$#%

mmmhmm soda ill take a bath in it and feel incredibly cool with the sexy bobbles.. o yeahhhhh