Monday, September 28, 2009

Health Care Bill?

Please click on the link below, read the short article, and watch the video twice. Next, write a paragraph responding to some or all of the questions below. Remember, this should be formal writing. 4-7 sentences of well-written commentary will get you partial credit. 8+ sentences of well-written commentary will get you full credit. Please do not post silly or anonymous comments.
  • What information from the poll strikes you as interesting or surprising? Why?
  • What do you think the information in the poll says about Americans and their thinking about health care?
  • What question would you have added to the poll? Why?

Information to know:

  • "Health care" means being able to get help from doctors or hospitals when you need it.
  • A "bill" is a proposed law, an idea for a law.
  • There are several different ideas about a changing health care. The people who said they supported or did not support a new health care bill do not know the specific details of the bill. They are simply saying that they oppose or support change in general.
  • A "poll" is when you ask lots of people their opinion on an issue.
  • Non-whites are simply people who are not white. Blacks are included in non-whites.

Tip: Pause the video so you can study the numbers.

Video link: http://www.gallup.com/video/123167/Blacks-Nonwhites-Supportive-Healthcare-Reform.aspx

76 comments:

Jared Plourde said...

Everyone should have heath care because every one should be able to be heathly. The heath care is one of the most important things in the wold and everyone should be able to have it. There is no reason why the heath care people should care so much about money. People that work and sell heath care should care so much about the people they should want to help the people nomadder how much money it cost. Heath care should be a right to everyone because there is a reason for people to have a life of their own. The heath care shouldn’t be givin to them, but if they can pay for it there should always be heath care available. People have a choice not to have heath care but if they do want it and there already sick they might have to have a contract with the heath care people.

Austyn.F said...

I think the health care bill should be lowered because the economy is so awful this day's that people can’t afford good health insurance. I think health care should be available at all times! People that don’t have health care but are soon able to afford it might have a hard time getting health care because everyone is chomping at the bit to get hold of the new less expansive health care. I agree 100% with the people that voted health care should be lowered because it’s not fair if 35% of the economy has good health care. I strongly think everyone should have health care and not take any chances getting injured. These are my thoughts and ideas of this blow

Austyn.F said...

I think the health care bill should be lowered because the economy is so awful this day's that people can’t afford good health insurance. I think health care should be available at all times! People that don’t have health care but are soon able to afford it might have a hard time getting health care because everyone is chomping at the bit to get hold of the new less expansive health care. I agree 100% with the people that voted health care should be lowered because it’s not fair if 35% of the economy has good health care. I strongly think everyone should have health care and not take any chances getting injured. These are my thoughts and ideas of this blog.

AARON LARANETTO said...

I think that all people in the world no matter what race what religon how much money you make etc, everyone should have free health care. What striked me were mainly three things. One people who have better education vote for the health care bill and people with less education vote against it. Another thing that caught my attention was that people who make 750,000 or more vote against it. What the polls teall me is that people who go to school and peple who make more money are diffrent. I choose this becuase usally people with good education make good money. So this really suprised me. if i could add a question it would be how many people that are in the same genre of job wouuld vot yes or no. In the end everone should have health care.

Eric D said...

It surprised me that most older people are not supporting health care because they think they have medicare. People 18-29 aren't sure because nothing has happened to them yet. Health care problems like heart attacks and diseases have not really happened to the younger people. Also, if it was only white people, it would be a thumbs down.

Wes Meeker =] said...

I think that most people in the united states should have health care but also if they dont have it they would probobly need it to. I think this because alot of people in the untied states dont have it and they need it. They problly think they dont need it because they think there in the best time of there life and nothing bad is going to happen to them. But if they are smart they wiould just get it and be done with it. This is why i think that most people should have health care!!

Tristan M. said...

I think that health care should be a natural born right. Everybody should be equal enough to get health care. No matter what race,religon or the matter of money they make. It's not fair that family's have to suffer because a child gets injured and they cant afford the bill and get thier house taken away. Thats my reason.

CameronC-I said...

It’s interesting that people who make 74,000 dollars a year or more are much less likely to vote for our healthcare plan. Democrats are 66% more likely to vote for it. As well as Blacks, Women, and Liberals. Republicans especially Conservatives are way less likely to vote for it. My personal feeling is that everyone on this planet should not have to worry about their Medicare needs.

Katie T. said...

I agree I do NOT think you should pay so much for health care. That is why our economy is so low and having trouble with money and job losses. Some people pay over millions of dollars for health care-insurance bill which I think is ridiculous. Its just to much money for some people who just cannot afford it.

JORDAN W. said...

I thought what struck me the most is that older people are against the new health care bill. You would think that they would want a newer health care bill so they have money for retirement. (age group 45-60). I also found it suprising that more women like the new bill then men. I wonder why? I can tell basically that americans want the bill we have now with just ironed out. More people wanted that choice. I think that a good question would have been "What do white women think against colored women or the opposite with white men against colored."

BriaXD said...

It really surprised me that older people don't want the new bill. I completely agree with what Jordan and Katie T said, you would expect older people to want the new bill for retirement money, and better health care in general. I think that they would want it more so their retirment would be easier to finance, and they would have coverage if they got sick or injured. I still think health care is a natural right and everyone should have the same opportunity to get it.

Briana A said...

I think that the health care bill should go way down in cost! It’s not fair at all for all the people who can’t afford it right now, and that’s a lot. I can see why younger people would want a new health care bill because I think it would be pretty scary waking up at nineteen and not having any health care. I don’t get why the older age group don’t want a new one I would they would want it for retirement. Health care is really important and every one should get it. If someone is sick and they can’t pay for health care what happens to them? They deserve to be cared for, I would want to. And right now the economy is so bad hardly anyone can afford it, but having this high bill is not helping this problem at all.

Dana W. said...

It’s interesting that more women want health care than men. I think this is because the women of America are emphasizing that everyone is equal, especially after all that “we’ve” been through when it comes to rights. It also makes sense that more colored Americans voted for the health care bill, again because they want equal rights. Also note that SEVENTY-ONE PERCENT OF REPUBLICANS VOTED AGAINST THE HEALTH CARE BILL. I don’t mean to criticize a person’s decision in the election of 2008, but this says a lot in itself, for these are the people who didn’t vote for Obama. This makes a great deal of a difference when it comes to health care. If the overall population voted for McCain or change their minds about Obama, we’re not getting new health care anytime soon. I’m expecting that people believe that McCain and Palin would have done a better job with the health care bill, but I could be wrong. Another interesting point was the poll that compares the amount of income. People who made less money seemed to need the health care more, and the people who made more didn’t need the new health care system at all. The people who get a medium amount almost tied in the percentages. Last, take a look at how many age groups voted against the bill. Every age group voted against the bill except the 18- to 29-year-olds. They aren’t as knowledgeable about health care. But, older senior citizens looking for retirement would vote against it, since they are used to the old health care plan. These polls definitely brought some interesting thoughts to my mind.

Mike Yedowitz said...

I think that for all legal americans healthcare should be free. This is because what if people cant afford to pay for health care, are they just left out there to die? No they hould be covered, But i think that sometimes you should have to pay a small amount if it is a big problem, not just needing a cough drop. For example if someone needs major surgery, then they should have to pay 30% of it because they have to have some way to pay the doctor, and the surgerys are so expensive because they take alot of materials to pay or and a good doctor to hire, so it shouldnt be entirely free, because all of the doctrs will quit because they wont have money. So if they need a cough drop or medicine and dont have any money, let them have it, but if they need a major operation, then they need either insurance or to take a loan.

Mike Yedowitz said...

I think that for all legal americans healthcare should be free. This is because what if people cant afford to pay for health care, are they just left out there to die? No they hould be covered, But i think that sometimes you should have to pay a small amount if it is a big problem, not just needing a cough drop. For example if someone needs major surgery, then they should have to pay 30% of it because they have to have some way to pay the doctor, and the surgerys are so expensive because they take alot of materials to pay or and a good doctor to hire, so it shouldnt be entirely free, because all of the doctrs will quit because they wont have money. So if they need a cough drop or medicine and dont have any money, let them have it, but if they need a major operation, then they need either insurance or to take a loan.

Josephine P said...

I found it very interesting that mainly blacks and Nonwhites are for it, while the majority of whites are against it. It is almost predictable how ever, because Obama is the first African American president, and a lot of people who aren't white are exited and think Obama is the best. Another thing that really sort of surprised me was the age difference. 18-29 year-olds don't have(or probably) don't have a health care plan set up yet, and are OK with change.The 30-49 age group was against it, as was everyone else older. This health care bill does appeal to younger people, and those who have health care set up might not want a change, it could disrupt their future. I was really surprised with the fact that some collage students and collage graduates were against, while people with high school education or less and post grads were with. The US spends the most on health care, while in other places, health care is very cheap.If we do do this, taxes will raise, but those who cant afford will all get free health care. This is why people who get 30,000 or less a year are all for it, while those with a higher income are against, they wouldn't get all of it free. These poll made me think a lot on what I do know on the health care plan, and I think now I do understand it a bit more.

Tommy M. said...

1. The information from the polls that strike me the most is the difference in polls between the Republicans and the Democrats. Only 9% of Republicans are for the health care bill. 66% of Democrats are for the health care bill. That a difference of 57%! This shows how different the Republicans and Democrats are. Another thing that struck me was that not as many older citizens were for the bill. But when I watched the video again, I realized that they didn’t be cause most of them had Medicare.

2. One thing that the poll says is that if Americans make more than $30,000, then they not very interested in the bill because they can probably already afford quality health care. It also says that there are more black Americans who can’t afford quality health care and need this bill. The last thing that it says is that more women in America care more about this health care bill and would like it to pass.

3. A question that I would have added to the poll is: Why are so many more Democrats with the new health care bill? I would ask this question because I’m sure that a lot of people are wondering the same thing and why would it be such a big difference between the parties?

Tia M said...

The thing that struck me the most with the new Health Care reform is that the elderly population of our nation is not for this bill! Many people age 65+ are on social security and they don't necesarily have a job to pay for health care. A question about this new reform that I would have asked is about how many members in the White House support or are against this new healt care reform. Many things about this video struck as shocking to me. I would think that more people would be for this new reform. But as the cost goes up, the more people are realizing that they aren't going to be able to afford it. Another thing that struck me is that the White population of the United States is against the new bill. Many Repulicans are against the bill as Dana W said. And that could be a big problem if they want to pass this new bill. Many Democrats and Independents might change their mind on whether or not they support this bill by the time they try to pass it.

Kailee M. said...

1) The information that surprises me most in the poll is that most of the U.S. citizens who voted for this health care issue, most of the citizens voted against it in all of the different categories the video showed. I think it was surprising because the citizens think as if they don’t need help with their health care issues. The video said that in the age chart of the people who voted, that younger people who aren’t 30 yet, they thought that we need health care help, but the older people thought that we don’t need health care help in the United States of America.
2) I think the poll says about Americans and their thinking about health care is not an issue for them. Even though I think that people in the United States of America should have health care, older people think that we can handle it ourselves.
3) I think that the question, should people with disabilities have a health care bill or should no one have a health care bill at all? I would add this because if men, younger people, whites, republicans, conservative people, or people in high school don’t want the Congress men to vote for this new health care bill, they should think about the disabled people and how they might need health care if they don’t need it themselves. I think that would’ve been a good question for the people who voted against this new health care bill should think about; other citizens in the US who have disabilities.

The last thing I have to say about what other people think about what another person voted on is, that it is your own opinion on what you want, so go with your opinion, not your friends and family’s opinion.

Quinn O said...

First all of all i am all for this Health Care Bill. What didnt surprise me was that most republicans were against the bill compared to the Democrats who were mostly for it but i dint think it would be that much of a difference; it was a whole whopping 57%. It just shows that these parties are completely different. The thing that strikes me most interesting is that women were in favor for the bill and the men were mostly against it i just thought that was odd. I thought it would be about the same. Another interesting point the poll made was that if there were only white americans who were advising our legislators how to vote then it would be thumbs down for the bill but but non white and blacks are much more likely to say that there in favor of the bill. I think this is because of the whole Obama campaign with its whole idea with equal rights and that everyone is the same. The younger people are in favor for health care but as the ages go older there vote is against the bill because most of these people have medicare. Also I think this is because the younger people really have no idea what there health care plan is so they are open to ideas whereas the older people already have there's and don't want to change. Last the people who make more money are the ones who are going to appose new health care legislation. This is because they are afraid they are going to have to pay/use up all there money for the higher taxes soon to come on on the poorer people. for the poor and loose their money. If you are looking for the people in society who favor a new health care bill look for women, young americans, americans of color and those with post graduate educations but if you are looking for people who vote against the bill look for the compete opposite. These polls showed me a lot of new things. If I had to add to the poll i would say why do you think more women were for the bill then men?

Dylan F said...

-The information from the polls that interests me the most is the difference in polls between the Republicans and the Democrats. Only 9% of Republicans are for the Health Care bill and that 66% of Democrats are for the Health Care bill. This is quite a large difference to me because it really does show how different the Republicans and Democrats truly are. Something else that struck me was the significant difference with races showing that white people were not voting towards health care bill at 31%. Nonwhites where for the healthcare bill at 50% and blacks showed they were for the healthcare bill. This is quite a large difference that I would like to point out in races.

-I believe the information in the poll says about Americans and their thinking about health care is that some Americans are having issues with healthcare like not having any coverage to pay for illness's or injuries as an example. Healthcare is quite a large amount of people which some people can afford it but others like the middle class or lower are starting to have issues among having healthcare.

-One question I would have added to the poll would be why was there such a difference between the Democrat at 66% voting for the healthcare bill and 9% of Republicans voting for the bill. It just makes me wonder why there is such a large difference between them. So my question would be why is there such a difference between the Republican and Democrats voting for the bill?

Nathan said...

The information from the poll that I was most surprised with was that the old folks ages 65 and up voted against the healthcare. I thought they would be the ones for it. I didn’t know that a lot of them would have Medicare. I think the poll says that Americans like their healthcare and don’t want to share or pay for others’. The poorer people expect the rich people to pay for their healthcare. Also Obama’s trying to turn this country into a semi-socialist country with rich people losing their benefits and all the lower class people getting free stuff. It's like a hobo asking a successful lawyer if he could take him to dinner, and then the hobo orders the most expensive stuff on the menu while the lawyer pays for it, meanwhile the waiter is saying to the lawyer, "Oh make sure you get him the extra deluxe bonus top quality stuff." A question I would add to the poll is; Which group would vote for the new healthcare plan: immigrants, or people born in the U.S?

kenneth b said...

I agree with Austin that everyone should get affordable health care If have worked for it. Also it should be lowered to a reasonable price so the people can afford it. If they are not US citizens they should not have government health care. If the case is that you are unemployed and you are looking for a job, you still should get health care because you might have gotten fired or laid off. If you did not find a job by 6 months you would be cut from health care from the government.

conner fitzy said...

I think that everyone should have healthcare, but the healthcare given to people for free should not be as comprehensive as paid healthcare. If we give everyone great healthcare then the taxpayers would lose a lot of money, and if the taxpayers lose a lot of money then the already bad economical system will become worse, and me even utter a new great depression. Nobody wants to see that wants to see that. I think also that if you do not find a decent healthcare company, or you don’t have a job in over a year they can cut off your healthcare so you don’t live off that healthcare for too long. And my last part of the argument is that no taxes should be raised just for this bill. If the taxes are raised people will get angry especially the ones that didn’t vote in favor of this bill.

Bryar G said...

I think that every person should have healthcare, because what happens if someone gets really sick or something and they don’t have health care because they can't afford it? Will they just leave them and not give them the medications they need? I think this isn’t right and people should always be covered in case they get ill or injured. The Government is trying to get more money from charging people for healthcare because they are greedy and don’t care about people’s needs.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

jared was here ^^^

sam i said...

I think that there shouldn’t be even talking about his bill because you should have to pay for your own health care because if someone is make 20$ an hour and government is taking 2$ then the government might take 4$ to pay for the other people’s health care. So i think that the bill is a bad idea.

scott c said...

I really dont know what this is all about but I have a good idea it is about I think most people who are eligible for health care should have it because if people abuse thier health care they dont deserve it but the poles were suprising to me because i would think older people and collage students are intrested in healt care

AARON THE KING 10 LARANETTO SAMBA TTP said...

i think that all peoeple Should have free healt care becuase all people are equal no matter what is diffrent about them. One fact that cought my mind was that 71% of Republicans vote against the health care bill. It also suprised me that most older people in the United states voted against the health care bill. This suprised me becuase if you think about it most older peole are more likely to need health care as they countuine to grow older. Another thing that suprised we was theat more women than men wanted the health care bil. The thing that suprised me the most was that people and family's who make more than $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$750,000$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or more a year are less likeley to vote for the health care bill, This is probaly becuase the people who make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than most people problay think that even if health care is not free we can afford it becuase we are wealthy. In my mind rich people should't be doing this becuase if they say that, that means that, they would be okay paying a lot of money for health care that should be free then all those rich people would start losing money and they would start to relize that they are not as welthy as before, so all the rich familes should just vote for the bill becuase wouldn't everyone rather have free halth crae than be paying a lot of mnoey for something that should be free.###@$%$^%^&^*&*^%$^%&^%&*^&*^&*(&^*^




























"FREE HEALTH CARE IS RIGHT"

Katie H. said...

One thing I notice is that the Democrats voted for health care reform. The Republicans voted against it (71%). The independents almost equal. I also notice that more women voted for health care reform and men voted against it. I also see that black people voted for health care reform more than white people. White people have freedom to go to doctor. I can tell this because the white people voted against change.

SammyPie (Sam P.) said...

Everyone should have heath care because every one should have the right to be heathly. I don’t think you should have pay so much for health care. This have affected our economy and has led to having trouble with money and job losses. What struck me the most is that older people (age group 45-60) are against the new health care bill. You would think that they would want a newer/better health care so they have money for retiremvent. Every age group voted against the bill except the 18- to 29-year-olds but only because they aren’t as knowledgeable. The reason for the older age group voting againt the bill is because they are used to the one they have had for years.

Alex k said...

I think all people should have health care because all people are equal nomader what. Somthing that caut my eye was how ther is a 57% difrence between the demacrat and the republican vote on health care. And the reason theat it was sutch a big diffrence is because so many repulicans are against health care.And the demacrats only 9% are agaist it. I would also think if health care wasnt free that we could still aford it because we are sutch a wealthy country.I also noticed in dylens blog is that more white people donte want it to happen at31& and the non white people are voting for the health care bill at 50%.And it seeemes that yunger people are voting more tords health care and older people are voting against. That saprised me because more of the older people need health care then the yunger people.

Taylor Wh said...

One piece of information that surprised me was that colored people are in favor of a new health care bill but whites are mostly opposing. This surprised me because I thought that most people would think differently depending on political party, which it did, but I didn’t think the color of one’s skin would play a major part in one’s decision. Young Americans and those with post-graduate education are the ones that are in favor of a new health care bill. I think this is because they aren’t old, which means they don’t have Medicare, and those who do aren’t worried about health care in that sense. Those young Americans who don’t have Medicare are worried in that sense. It also says that Americans with less and less education seem to oppose the new health care bill, which leads one to believe that those who are in favor of health care are smarter. This says a lot about us as Americans it says that the ones who are smarter and take all scenarios into effect are the ones who are in favor. If I were to add a question to the poll, it would be what high school students thought about the new health care bill, because these kids being the next generation are very important and should have their thoughts heard.

Katie S. said...

I was rather surprised that those with a Post-Graduate education were mostly for the Health Care Bill, though I'm not really surprised that those without a college education were against. I don't really know what I expected from the beginning though with the comparison between gender, but I don't think the results were anything close to a guess of mine. The fact that people with an income of $75,000 or more were mainly against it did not come as a surprise to me. I also did not expect that people over the age of 65 were for the bill after an article I read a week ago. One thing that interested me was the reporter's comment on people under 30 not having much of an opinion. I think he was dead wrong about that. There are many people in the 8th grade that have a rather strong opinion on politics, though I won't name names. Overall the statistics were a surprise to me.

Zach N said...

The one thing that strikes me is that a few people in the poles said that no we should not have health care. the next thing that strikes me is that a lot of people who voted for most of this bill is women and young people in our country. What I think is wrong about that statement is that, I think that everyone should agree that every one has a right to health care.I think that every one has the right to vote for this topic on this bill. now if i were voting of coarse, I would say that every one i this country should have health care. But the bad thing is that some people just cant afford it! So what I think that what we should do is help those many folks, that cant afford it to help them pay for it. now don't you think that, that is a good idea? now i am also not trying to say that every one should agree with me but at the same time I am saying that. but then i also looked at how some older folks also could not get the help from the doctors and hospitals when they really needed the help, so i am sure that a lot of the people that voted for this bill is older folks.

Kayley B said...

I think the poll was very interesting. It surprised me because I read blacks and non- white people are for the health care reform and a lot of white people are against it. Also a lot of democrats are for free health care and many rebublicans are against it. I think that for the Americans who make a lot of money, it doesn't matter as much to them as it does to someone who doesn't have a lot of money and can't afford health care. A question I had was how come the poll percentages did not add up to one hundred? For example,women who were for the health care reform was 43% and against was 33%. I think health care should be free because a lot of people need to go to the doctor but they can't afford it.

Serena M said...

1) What most surprised me was that (not to be rude) but more blacks voted for then against. This surprised me because you would think that blacks and whites would be a closer number but they were pretty spread out.

2) I think the information says that most people over 65 aren't really concerned as much as people 50-64. This is because they have more to worry about then people older, because most of them have medicare. Also that young adults, people 18-29 concerned but not as much as older people. Also people who are post graduates are voting more for then are in High school or less. Probably because they are older. Also people who make $75,000 vote against. Probably because they have enough money to not worry about it as much.

They are mostly saying, people who are in favor of this new bill should be a post graduate, have money, and be a girl, because girls were more in favor of this.

Sarah N. said...

I think that everyone should have health care no matter what age, race, religon, gender, etc. For example, someone who didn't have health care could get a really bad disease and then someone else could get it from them, because they didn't have health care so they couldn't have access to a cure and then it could spread to a lot of other people. People without health care could even die because they couldn't get a cure.
I was also very surprised that the elderly didn't want the bill. They need it the most, probably.
I think that health care just as important as food and shelter. Plus some people who are in the hospital at the moment need health care constantly so if they were to run out of money, then they would basically be kicked out on the streets with a terrible illness and no cure. Imagine if you were that person. How would you feel?

Nate S. said...

I was surprised at the fact that most people ages 50-64 voted ageist the healthcare reform. You would think that older people would care more about their health. I was also very surprised that much more non-whites had the higher vote for the Health Care Bill. Before the video, I thought that every one would want this change but it mostly seems to be that the only people for it are middle aged folks, non-whites, democrats, and females. I think that health care should definitely be lowered but not free. If it were free, hospitals would be packed and there wouldn't be a lot of money for new equipment. I would really like to know how many people think that Health Care should be free, cost more, or cost less. The problem is that with this economy, a lot of people can't afford health care, but if we lower the price too much, the government wont be able to give people that health because they will be out of money.

Mike Leslie said...

I was very surprised about who voted for and who voted against a reform for health care. To start off, I was surprised 33% of men voted yes to reform the bill, and 44% voted no, while women said yes with 40%, and no with 33%. I would think that the men’s vote would be more against reform. Another thing that surprised me was that people who have an income of $30,000 income said yes to healthcare reform and both people who have an income of $30,000 to $74,999 say no and $75,000 above say no. I would understand that the people who make over 75,000 can afford health insurance and they think health care doesn’t have to change. But I’m surprised because I would think the people who make $30,000 to $74,999 would say yes to health care reform because so many people in the middle class don’t have coverage. Overall, it seems that most Americans are fine with their health care and doesn’t need change, but I know that this is only one poll and peoples opinion change often.

Shaelyn R said...

I think that it is very interesting how more women like the health care plan than men. The difference wasn’t that much, but still, it really makes you wonder why fewer men than women like the health care reform. I thought that it would be the same. Also, the information that surprised me the most was the difference between Democrats and Republicans which was 57%! Only 9% of Republicans are for the health care plan and 66% of Democrats! I don’t want to criticize who voted for Obama or for McCain but that really says a lot. What if people decided to vote for McCain instead of Obama or changed their minds about Obama? Then, we definitely wouldn’t be arguing over whether or not we have the health care reform. Another interesting point was how 65% of blacks were for the idea and 31% of whites were against having new health care. So, if it were up to whites to decide whether or not we should have the health care reform, well, it wouldn’t happen. I think that’s because of the Obama Campaign stressing the idea of equal rights and that everyone no matter what race is the same. So overall, i think that the information was very interesting.

Hannah R. said...

The most interesting thing in the video that strikes me is that younger people don’t want health care. I would think that when you’re young you want to stay healthy, so you have health care. But still only some people want health care and it’s not even over 50% of them!! Another thing that surprises me is that many elder people don’t want health care; I understand if they already have it but I think that most people would want it in an older age. I would think this so when they get really sick they have good health care to support them. That’s what I think is the most important, but mostly the younger people so they stay healthy and still having money. The information in the poll says that most Americans think that they don’t really want health care, but non-whites have 50% of the votes for health care and blacks have 65% percent of the votes. So it shows that maybe they have the money so when they get sick they won’t need health care. I think that non-whites need it more since they may not have the best jobs, same with blacks; because of their race they may not get the best jobs. Most non-whites and blacks don’t know how to speak English, which could be another reason and need health care for support.
Another question I would have added is why do whites have the better jobs, and only some blacks and non-whites have good jobs? I would ask this question because in the poll the whites seem that they don’t need health care as much as the rest.

DavidG said...

i think that health care should be only given to the old and the people who can not pay for it. i saw at the poll that they were going agienst heath care for people over 65.i was also shocked that they would decide on heath care by race. i mean that it should be clear that all people that are old white or black.

Mackenzie said...

I think that health care is very important. I found that it was very interesting that there were more woman that voted for health care then men. Another thing that I noticed was race that 31% voted yes and 45% voted no. Nonwhite voted 50% voted yes and 20% voted no. Lastly, black voted 65% yes and 9% no. There was more people that were black that voted for health care than black people. Another thing that I noticed was the age. Younger people from the age of 18-29 voted 36% yes and 23% no. The age from 30-49 voted 37% yes and 41% no. People of the age of 50-64 voted 40% yes and 42% no. Lastly from the age of 65+ voted 32% yes and 42% no. I think that people 65+ didnt care as much about health care because it is almost the end of their lifes. In this case I would vote for health care because I would want to live as long as I possible can. Also post-graduates voted the must for health care at 48% yes and 39% no. Another thing i noticed was that liberal voted the must at 66% yes and 9% no. I think that health care right now is pretty good but everyone knows that you end up changing your minds. I do it all the time!

Alli Dr. said...

What surprised me was that more blacks and non-whites wanted healthcaer more than whites. I wonder why? More rebublicans were against it than democrats. Once again I wonder why? Most of the young peopele want healthcare.It's a good idea to have it because if you think about it they're the ones getting hurt the most. I didn't think they would be the oned getting it because you always here that they don't care and they never vote so that was a surprise to me. Only a few people want healthcare, but why not all? Just get healthcare and then you're covered and you don't have to worry about paying SOOOOOOO much money when you get hurt. Only 9% of rebublicians are for healthcare. And 66% of democrtas are for it. That's a HUGE difference! I just don't understand why everybody doesn't get it. If many people don't want healthcare because of the cost then healthcare should definatley be free. Or if they lowered the price, I bet the polls would change and ALOT more people would get healthcare. I'm sure people want it but they just can't afford which brings me back to the fact that alot of young want it. But then you hear how they're barely making it by. How can they afford it? SO what I think is that healthcare should be free or the price should be lowered. Evry American citizen should have healthcare. It doesn't matter race, religion, color, anything! If people can't afford it, lower the price. It ain't that hard: lower the price or just make it free!!! It'd be SOOOO much easier on everybody!! AHH! It just makes me mad and the people should just do somethng!!!!!!!!!!

Summer M. said...

What strikes me as surprising is that, 18-29 year old people voted for it more than 65 and up. I think this is surprising because when your older, health care is important, because most can't afford it because they are retired, especially at the age of 65. Also that 42% voted against it for 65 and older.And only 23% voted against it, when they're usually still healthy and don't need health care because they are just starting to get into actual jobs and can afford health care, if they need too. Another thing that struck me as interesting is that Women wanted it 7% more than men. I don't truly know why but I found it interesting. I think that the poll said that the Americans think of their health care as important, because in almost all the individual polls more people voted for it then against it. For example in the by race poll, black people voted for it more than against it as did non-white. Again, in by age 50-64 year old people voted for it more than against it as did did 18-29 year old people. Also in by education, Post-graduate voted more for it then against it as did high school or less.

Rebekah Genua :D said...

somthing that suprised me was that must White Americans dont want the new health care, this surprised me because i thought that people would want everyone to have health care, and i think everyone deserves to have health care even poor people. i think this pole says that Americans dont want everyone to be able to get health care witch i think everyone should. somthing else that suprised me was that more blacks and non-whites suport health care and not white people. one question that i would ask is why people would vate no to health care, like what are the reasons behind saying no, becuase everyone should have doctores and get to go to the hosptials when they need it. so what would be the reason for anyone to say no to this health care bill? thats what i would ask if i could put a question on the pole. somthing that didnt surpries me was that people 65+ dont want the new health care, and i think that they dont want it because they dont want there benifits takin away, and that most of them are medicare so they dont care if everyone has health care anyways. also that the Demicrats and Republics voted so diffrently and that they werent even close at all in numbers, they rebublics were so against it and the Demicrats were for it.

Drew H. said...

I think the health care bill should be lowered because the economy is so poor right now. What surprised me in that video was that more blacks and non-whites wanted health care more than white people. Also more people that are younger voted for it than people that are older.To older people health care is important because most of them can't afford it because they are probably retired. Another thing was that women wanted it more than men. I really don't know why maybe more women voted then men did. Also more people that graduated high school or college voted for it more than against it.

Taryssa Kilian said...

Wow! That was very surprising. What shocked me the most was that the 65 and above voted against it. I thought that it would be different because the young people would what it less because you already have good health. I thought that the older people and middle ages people would want it because the older people don't have very good health and the middle aged people want to make sure they stay safe because the have children that need them. I wasn't really surprised about how woman voted for it more because woman seem to care about them selfs more than men do, but that is just my opinion.

Joshua reutzel BIG MAC said...

I think just becuse health care is going to every one does't mean the bill should go up. For some people who can't even afford the bill is it fair to them. But what I don't is these people in the government think every on is rolling in benjamins. In some place people are loosing jobs so fast they watch tv to see where the food bank is. Even though most of the food banks don't enough to meet the demand. So if the bill goes up the governedment is leaving these people to die. And some people in econmy are not getting along very well. And also For people who want to go back to college to get a better education, if this is higherd then they won't be able to go and mabey chang the world.

Taylor We. said...

What I found that was surprising in the video was that more blacks and non-whites voted for a health care bill than whites. Also, I thought it was surprising that more young people under 30 voted for this bill. In my opinion I would have thought that older people would have voted for this more because at their age they would need more health care if they got hurt. But the video said this was because most of the older people had Medicare and weren't worried about it. Another thing that wasn't surprising to me but interesting was that most of the families that make over $75,000 a year voted against it because they have the money to afford health care. The families with under $75,000 a year especially those under $30,000 a year voted for it. But the last thing that I found very interesting was that more women voted for this bill rather than males. I have no idea why. If I were able to vote I would have voted for not just for me but just thinking about all the people who struggle to afford health care.

Brittany S said...

I think the info in the poll shows that people have different opinions on heath care. People who make alot of money aren't worried about health care. Its not fair to the less fortunate people to get the same thing as them. Many whites don't want health care but many blacks do. It remindes me of segregation because whites are fine and have seprate opinions and blacks need the health care and have there own opinions. i would have added to the poll why don;t alot of graduated collage students want health care? Most of them are on there own and should have health care. If health care is to expensive the the government should be keeping money aside for familys and people to get the medical care needed.

Melissa S said...

Something that surprised me from this video was that most of the votes voting for the healthcare bill were from non whites and black Americans. I thought that most of the votes voting for it would be white Americans. Something else from the poll that surprised me was that most of the votes were coming from younger age group, and the least amount was coming from the age group of 65 or older. I think this might be because the older people might already being covered by a healthcare company already. I also ralized that most of the votes for the healthcare bill were from democrats. While the least amount was coming from republicans. One of the last things I noticed was that the majority of the votes for the bill were coming from the group of people who are making less than $30,000. This might be because they dont have as much money to spend on healthcare if they dont get covered with their job. I think that this poll is saying that more black and non white Americans want healthcare. I also think it is saying that more women want healthcare, and those that are making $30,000.

Mairead R. said...

i think this whole heath care thing is stupid. it still shocked me that older people are against it, but im with them on their decision. think about it the government is taking away your money for other people than you.i think people should get some sort of job or go back to school so they can pay for their own heath care. i know the economy is bad right know but if some people actually tried and weren't lazy they could make it easier for them and other people. Americans are better than that.... they shouldn't take hand outs, they should feel like they can actually do something. i think all this talk about heath care is a waste of time... OMG i wish it would stop, its annoying me. that is what i think about this bill.

Anonymous said...

What surprised me the most was definitely how the younger you are, the more against you are about the new health care reform. I would think that when you are young you would want to have health care so you can live a long long time and not have to worry about getting sick or hurting yourself. In the ages 30-49 I would most definitely think that they would want to make changes to the health care bill because that’s around the time in your life when you have children and you want to be with them through their younger years in life. You wouldn’t want to be dying because the health care bill doesn’t fit your standards. I’m most definitely not surprised that 65 years and older adults wouldn’t want to make changes because they already have Medi- care so they really wouldn’t need it. I think the poll’s saying that the more money you make the more you don’t think to change the bill because you can just easily afford the help you need. No matter what surgery you have to go through or medical help you can afford it no matter what. The less money you have the more help you’re going to need in paying for your medical help so you can survive. It’s harder to afford surgeries or the different kinds of medicines or help you’re going to need once your body decides it needs help to function correctly. I think this whole entireeeeeeee thing is ridiculous and I really don’t understand why people would vote against having free or cheap health care. Don’t they realize that not everyone’s made out of money and they cant afford it?

Kimberly V said...

One thing I was definitely surprised by at the bill was that the majority of citizens 65 and older voted against the bill! And then you have the people who are 18-29 years old and the majority voted for the bill. Why is this? Well, I strongly think that most senior citizens would not benefit from this bill, some or most of their medical care when they are the ones who need it the most. Some senior citizens have pre-existing conditions and taking away from their healthcare at a time when they need it the most doesn’t seem fair. The younger aged group of Americans would be getting more coverage, but they would be taking away from those older than them who need it more. Although I wasn’t surprised that less men (33%) voted for the bill. I say this because the health care bill would be taking away from those men’s’ health care rights. Some of these men have well paying jobs that might support medical care, and it is clearly unfair to them if some of what they are paying for is going to go to the uninsured. Also, the poll shows that more Democrats are for the bill (66%), while the majority of Republicans are against the bill (71%). I can see that the Democrats would be for the bill, because with them, Barack Obama wants to pay for much of their plan to cover the uninsured. But this would mean cutting a huge amount of money from the Medicare budget.
One last thing I was noticed was that more blacks voted for the bill than whites. For a long time in history blacks have fought for equal rights. You could say that blacks might not have access to a good insurance that covers health care, so therefore, they would vote for the bill. On the other hand, some whites do have jobs that might cover medical care and if they do have good coverage, I can see how they wouldn’t want this bill taking away from their benefits. Finally, I don’t think I am for the bill. I think people who do have medical coverage might take it for granted, but when you think about it, you are pretty lucky, should something ever happen. But if you’re health care didn’t cover what you needed to be treated for, the bill doesn’t come in your favor.

Amanda P. said...

What I found most interesting from the poll was the fact that women more than men were pro towards the healthcare reform. I believe this is because the women more than the men in this world watch over their families and for them a more affordable healthcare system would benefit their family. With so many people out of work because of the economy a healthcare system that is more affordable would be very helpful. I was also intrigued by the fact that most black Americans supported the new healthcare reform. Like Dana said I think this is because it makes everyone equal when it comes to quality healthcare. Too many people are left in the cracks when it comes to things like healthcare. Nobody thinks about the people who can't afford healthcare, but with this new healthcare system nobody will be forgotten. Also it is understandable why people over the age of 65 don't like this new healthcare reform because they already have the privilege of Medicare, but they have to remember what it is like to have an entire family that they have to pay healthcare for. I know this is tough for the elderly to have to sacrifice some of their money to the younger citizens, but this will help the entire country in the long run. I think this is a step towards a stronger nation for the U.S.

Zah M said...

It is surprising to me that the people in the higher tax bracket was not interested in the bill. The middle class and lower seem to really want the bill. Even the younger Generation wanted the bill to pass. I know that anything new with your health care can sometimes have negative feedback but if their is a chance that It will help the crisis in our time of need then we should go for it. I am sure that most American's are worried about their taxes and what would become of them but everyone needs to join together to over come hard times.

Kelsey H.♥ said...

- Okay, first of all, I completely support the idea of having health care as a natural right, and that everyone should have it. Some of the comments saying they disagree shocked me, but I guess that everyone has their own opinion and I should respect that.

- What struck me as surprising from the video was the fifty-seven percent difference of Republicans [“who opposed”] and Democrats [“in favor”]! Only nine percent of Republicans voted for the health care bill, while sixty-six of Democrats voted for it! That’s a HUGE difference. Why such the big variation? We’re all supposed to be completely equal [at least, that is what I’m told], right? Then why did more women vote for the bill than the men did? That struck me as VERY interesting since it makes me wonder. As I was watching this video, I noticed that I kept being surprised, shocked, or at the very least, interested in the statistics. It made me wonder why the percentage differences were so large, why more women voted for it than men did, and why whites gave it a thumbs down. Non-whites were in favor of it, while the majority of whites were NOT in favor for it! WOW. That was shocking to me. Why would non-whites be all for it, and whites not? That question has gotten my brain puzzled. More elderly people voted against it than younger people. As the video said, elderly have Medicare… so that is self-explanatory.

- What I think that the poll is saying about Americans and their way of thinking, is that women care more about health care than men do and older people don’t care as much about it as the younger people do since they have Medicare. High school (or less even) students, as far as education goes, don’t support the idea as much as post-graduates do, since high school students don’t really have to worry since most of their parents take care of that for them. This poll says that Republicans aren’t as all for it as Democrats, and white people give it a thumbs down, while non-whites give it a definite thumbs up. Finally, the people who make more than $30,000 of an income don’t care as much as those with lower income since they already can afford health care.

- A question that I would’ve added to the poll, is WHY you disagreed if you did. I’m sure many people who are for it, are wondering why people disagreed. Maybe if people didn’t answer it with a simple yes or no, we’d find out more information, and we wouldn’t be wondering or assuming so much. People that aren’t for it are probably wondering why people were for it, so it might help if those people who voted for it put their answer to “why” along with their answer of yes (or no).

- This is my input on this situation and the video that I watched.

Kyle G said...

I don’t like this entire plan for health care. I think the people that are making less money are going to be mad that the little money they get they have to spend it on health care. I don’t disagree with this people because if I was only making a little money I would want to spend it on food and shelter not heath care. I think health care should be an option for people so they are required to pay for health care out of the little money that they are making. The one thing that did surprise me is that older people do not want this. I think that they would want this because when someone goes to the ER and they don’t have health care it comes out of the tax payers’ money. Most of the older people have health and pay taxes. That is why I think that older people would want this. I think in general this whole thing is bad.

Amy D said...

I personally found it interesting that about the same percentage of Republicans voted for the Healthcare Reform as the percentage of Democrats who voted against it. I also found it surprising that the percentage of men who voted for it was exactly the same at the percentage of women who voted against it. I was also surprised that more black people voted for it and more white people voted against it. I think the information in the poll say that the older people above the age of 30 in America really aren’t concerned as much and voted a little more for against it, but when it comes to people under the age of 30 they realize that this will affect them as they grow older and more of them voted for it. It also showed that as education for people drops then their support drops as well. It seemed that the higher educated people probably knew more about it and was really for it. Also it seemed that the more money you have the more likely you are to disagree. I would have added information about if people go in for regular check ups or only when their sick. Another would be if the company they worked for took care of insurance or not. That would really effect a person’s decision.

Jak c said...

It surprised me that so many blaks wanted health care. It was also surprising with the elders that thyey voted against it. I think you shoukd have health care no matter what. That is what surprised me

Sarah W said...

To me this health care reform is one sided in the fact that your really against it or totally for it. I found many things to be interesting about the polls in this video. I really agree with Dana and I do feel that it is interesting that most women are for it. I feel this is because women have had to fight hard when it comes to earning rights. We want to be equal because of the fact that we have been on that short and of the stick. We know what it feels like to be neglected of rights that others get the privilege to have. I feel that the people with higher income are opposed because they are perfectly happy with the health care plan they currently have. I believe the polls show that America is really split about this reform. It benefits on side but not necessarily the other. To me it seems that it all depends on who you are and what kind of situation you are in that determines whether you are opposed or for this reform. One question I would have added to the poll would be, “If you have children are you for or against this bill?” I would ask this question because this bill will ultimately be effecting us, the youth. We will end up paying taxes that will be funding the reform, we will have this as our health care system for the rest of our lives, and it will have a bigger impact on our lives. Right now I don’t think America really knows enough of what is going on with the reform to decide their placement. It’s because of this that I feel the polls are so erratic. We really need to think about the long term effect, is it just a band-aid solution or is this reform going to be a cure?

Unknown said...

kaleo M. Breeckner



I was not suprisd about any of the out comes of this debate. But i did find it interesting that the same
amount of republicans and demecrates voted for the reform. I think this happend because it was a good idea for every person of any class. I think more African Americans voted for the reform because there is higher % of African Americans with out health care in this contry so they will benifit from this reform. I think more woman voed for he reform because of reprodutive choices. Prenacy is a lot of money and can be birth can be deadly. So they need god health care! I also relized that the higher classe tnded to diagree with this. I think this happend because hey can aford health care and they dont look at it from a person who cant aford it point of view. They think if i could do everyone can.

Clara W said...

The information from this poll that strikes me as most surprising is that women supported the bill more than men did. If I had to predict what the results would be for that question, I would have said they would be very close to equal. I wasn’t surprised that the people who had a larger income did not support the bill as much. They probably aren’t worried because they can pay for health care by themselves more easily. I also think that the large difference in opinions from the different political parties shows that they have entirely different ideas. One question I would have added to the poll is what people who lived in different areas thought. I think it would be interesting to know how the opinion of people in the city differed from people who live in more rural areas. I think this poll says that Americans have VERY different opinions. This was an interesting and informative video.

Chase D said...

It is not surprising to me that post-graduate are for the health care bill. This is not surprising to me because they have more education than most people and probably read the bill over well. It is also not surprising to me that 50-64 year olds are 40% for the health care bill because they probably have kids in college and need money for health care. What hard to believe is that the people making 70,000 or more a year are against the health care bill. It’s hard to believe because they should have enough money to pay a little extra tax. Also it interests me that different political parties have different opinions. I think another question should have been were the live in the country. I think this because where you live changes your way of life, so the results would have differed from rural areas the cities. This is what I thought of the statistics from the video.

Emily C. said...

I thought the poll was interesting because it shows that Americans are still really divided about health care reform. I was not surprised about the huge gap between Republicans and Democrats because they are almost always on opposite sides of many important issues as are liberals and conservatives. What interested me was that people who are independent voters (who do not align themselves with either party) polled as being against reform in almost the exact numbers as people who consider themselves moderates who are more for a reform bill. I think it is these voters who will make a difference in whether a bill gets passed. I do agree with some of my classmates that women and minorities, especially blacks, might see healthcare reform as an equal rights issue. Also, many minorities and women might not be as well off financially as whites so they would want healthcare reform because it would make healthcare more affordable. I had the same thought as Sarah W. about asking whether having children would make people vote for or against the bill.

Al White said...

Some things that surprised me we some of the very nearly equal percentages. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw how close some of these numbers were. It definitely told me that some sort of compromise needs to happen if anyone's going to get anywhere. What didn't really surprise me was how 65+ Americans didn't approve. My socks were not knock off by this fact was because I think 65+ people are pretty set in their ways and think such extreme change isn't great. Than again, you would think that 65+ Americans would want change because they're the people who could be potentially effected more than the young-ons.

Kaycee L. said...

I think that people shouldn't have to pay for health care, because not many people can afford it right now. What struck me the most is that older people (age group 45-60) are against the new health care bill. Every age group voted against the bill except the 18 to 29 year olds, this is only because they aren’t as knowledgeable yet.

WaLshY said...

It surprises me when i saw that the age group of 65+ do not want the heath care reform. I would think this because i think it would help them more. What also surprised me was that the different races of people voted differently. For example,most whites didn't lean toward this decision as for nonwhites and blacks do vote for a health-care bill. I am surprised that most whites wouldn't want this health care bill because they are wealthy or don't think they need it. Then again there are many whites that do need health care reformation. One question I would have added to the poll was asking about What would/do the people of the congress do about this if it was their choice to make? I would ask this because I am curious on what the Congress people think and what they might want to do.

Sean Greene said...

I thought it was very intersting that more of the nonwhite races were up for health care more than the whites I thought that was intersting becuase our president is black so some of the non voters coulnd be racist. Also i was confused of why the men dont want health care as much as the women I woulnd think most woulnd agree with eachother. If had a question for the poll it woulnd be why are there so many young people voting yes? Thats my question becuase you woulnd think they woulnd not know as much as the older.

Renata M. said...

think that everyone should get health care because no matter what raise you are or how old you are you just do deserve health care. Were not in the best of our times right now because of the economy is doing so poorly, so this could really help us. I was shocked when it said the age group of 65+ years old and up was pretty low I thought because of an old unbalanced life around that age there would be more people who would need health care. Also another interesting poll was between men and women I thought it would have been fairly equal but it wasn’t women supported it more then men. Throughout the rest of this video was about balanced and also some polls that I have expected to be. I enjoyed watching this video because I saw how many Americans have different opinions and I thought that was pretty cool.

Kyle Clark said...

people shouldnt have to pay for health care. Most people at this time in the economic downfall can not afford health care. I find it strange that people at the age of 65+ voted against the new health care bill.

Ash D said...

You should just automatically get healthcare, I think. More and more people are getting sick and dying because they can't afford the right medication to treat them. Health Care should just be a natural born right, and no one should be messing with that unless it needs to be messed with. People need health care, and it's mostly people in the middle class, and they're not going to get it if they can't afford it. ><

Anonymous said...

mhm