Look at the chart that comes up first when you click on the link below. The chart is entitled, "Next, I'd like your overall opinion on some foreign countries. What is your overall opinion of ...? Is it very favorable, mostly favorable, mostly unfavorable, or very unfavorable?"
Answer the following questions in a formally-written paragraph: What do you see in the chart? What numbers strike you as interesting or significant? What do you think those numbers mean? What does the chart say about Americans' views of the world? (Minimum length for credit is 4 sentences; to get full credit, 8 sentences are necessary; find the chart using the link below)
http://www.gallup.com/poll/115258/Canada-Remains-Americans-Favored-Nation.aspx
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
70 comments:
Ethan Lindblom
In this chart I see diffrent countrys that U.S citizens like and dislike. What srtikes me the most is ho many people dislake cuba. that shocks me because I've never heard anything against cuba before. It also stikes me is that almost 30 percent of people favore Iraq. I think those numbers mean that their are alot of pro terrorist citizens in the united states or they just think that Iraq had a bad goverment but not bad people.I think this chart shows that Americans have a higher view of eastern and european countrys than wester country.
my opinon for the polls are moderatly accurate. I am confused that people like canada more than france because they'er the same. I am not surprised that iraq, iran, and affganistan are the lowest because of 9/11 and the econamy.
first off what i found least striking was that iran is the least favorable country. what i did find striking though was that we are still 50/50 with mexico. i thought that mexico was on good terms with the us but apparently not.
I think that the least shocking thing is that we are best with Canada. We are neibors with them. And if you say so is Mexico their is the whole immagrant issue their. I am also not surprised by the Great Briton placement. We are strong allies with them so it would make since that Americans like them. The third thing that doen't surprise me is that Iran and Afganistan are so low. his would probobly because people do not like them because thouse are the two "negitive" countries to the U.S.
I had no idea that we were so favorable of Canada. While Mexico, our other border country, were not so favorable of. I understand that the immigration problem has brought hate to America toward Mexico. So, I guess What I really don't understand is why we don't hate Mexico more. I can't see any possible hate or dislike in other countries, like France. There is some dislike there, but I don't know what it is. What I also don't see is every country listed and I don't see a country that we fully hate or fully like. This, I think, is good and bad. I think this world should be more united, like the posters of our so called "united" world hanging up all around elementary schools these days.
The top 5 or so countries, have a large or completely English speaking population. The bottom 5 or so countries, are at war or have anti USA governments. I don't understand why Iraq hot a more favorable rating than Iran, given that we are at war with Iraq. I thought it was interesting that Mexico is about 50/50 for an approval rating. I think that is because there are nice vacation spots there, but also there is a lot of poverty too. I think Americans like countries best that are most like the USA. These countries tend to be rich and technologically advanced. I also feel that the people who gave an unfavorable mark to Canada or Great Britain maybe haven't been to these places, and that's why they don't like that country.
I saw the chart and the first thing that popped into my head was why we liked or disliked these countries; familiarity and racism.
I can understand why we don't like iran becuase we have been in a war with them, and also becusae of the 9/11 tragedy. Mexico, however, our border contry, we also dislike to alittle less thn 50%. I think that even though we are close to them, we are racist towards them and that racism promotes un-liklyness.
I see that Canada is very likeable, probably becuase people seem to travel there semi-frequently, and also (being from the north states) we are close to them, as we are to mexico but that was discussed already. Another therory of why we possably like Canada more than mexico is becuase they speak more English than mexicans do.( also some people do not like them becuase of the illegal immigrant issue thats going on..."
I wasn't surprised to see the countries in the middle East down on the likeability list. Once again, I think this is becuase of our conflict with the,, our un familiarity with them, and our stereotypical assumption of that area (the terrorist with the rag on their head and the bandana covering their mouths, holding an AK47 with c4s on their waist and attempting to arm a bomb in a market square....)
This chart of Americas view of the world isnt very shocking, but will raise some eyebrows. Basically, it shows that America isnt very open to "having relationships" with other countries, except those who are close to them, and even still. So i think America only likes people of around the same culture (which is why Mexico is a border country, but why almost 50% of people still dont like it)
I see that Canada in the most favorable country with 90/96 and the most unfavorable country is Iran with 12/92. I’m shock to find France as the 6th most favorable county because I thought that France is a very nice and favorable place. I think that these numbers mean the number of people that have been to one of these countries and have really liked it. This chart says that Americans’ views on the world are in favor of the European countries.
What I see in the chart are countries that some of our people like and dislike. What shocks me is that some of our people like Japan because we were at war with them during World War 2. What didn’t surprise me is that Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan. This doesn’t surprise me because we have soldiers near and in those countries. I think these numbers are the percents of some people in the U.S.A that dislike or like other countries. I was kind of confused because Americans didn’t really like Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan and we are at war with them or the area around them. The 3rd most liked country was Japan and we were at war with them during World War 2. This war wasn’t small either; The U.S.A used atomic bombs against them.
First off, I see on the graph the favorability of other nations from the USA's point if view. I wasn't surprised that canada was so favorable. They're our neighbor and have been peaceful with us for pretty much all American history. Great britain being favorable wasn't too surprising either in spite of the fact that we aren't exactly rivals with that country. Of course we don't exactly "like" Iran, North Kora, Afghanistan, etc. Didn't strike me as very surprising. Generally, Americas views are predictable and come as genuine and unsurprising.
Ryan McQueen
I noticed that canada was at the top, and then great britain. i noticed this because that is how i would vote. I also notised that Iran and North Korea were on the bottom, i think that is because they are enimys. The chart was interesting because it was good to see how other people veiw the world.
I AM NOT SHOCKED AT ALL THAT CANADA IS THE MOST FAVERABLE CONTRY OF THE US. ITS NBEEN VERY PEACEFUL BETWEEN US. I ALSO THOUGHT THAT IRAN WOULD BE JUST ABOUT AS LIKED AS IRAQ. ONE THING THAT REALLY SUPRIZED ME WAS HOW DISLIKED NORTH KOREA WAS. I HAVENT HEARD A LOT ABOUT NORTH KOREA ON THE NEWS OR TV SO I THOUGHT WE WERE PEACEFUL. I WAS ALSO VERY SUPRIZED THAT THE GERMANY WAS SO LIKED.
What I see in this chart is how many people like and dislike different countrys. Their where 19 countrys that where voting. For example the lowest rated country was Iran. The highest rated country was Canada. Great Britian and Canada where very close. 80% did not like Iran and only 6% did not like Canada. 90% like Canada. Only 12% like Iran. That is a big difference to which country is better.
I see that nations that are similar to us (ex. democracies)have high favoriblity ratings. I also see that countries that aren't similar to us (ex. dictatorship countries) have low favoriblity ratings. This means that the US likes its type of government. It also means it likes similar foreign types of government but doesn't like dictatorships. This chart is interesting, but none of it is surprising. Of course, Iran isn't popular among the US. This is because Iran is developing nuclear weapons. This chart says America likes foreign democracies while disliking foreign dictatorships.
I kind of had a feeling that canada was so favorable. I mean if we didn't like them there is a prblem because we are connected to them. It's to bad we can't be more favorable with Mexico. It didn't surprise me that Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan are at the end of the list. I am surpised that Germany is at the top of the list after the Hollocast. Either America forgave them or most of America is clueless. I thought Great pritain would be a higher that Canada because I don't hear about Canada as much Great Britan. I am also surpised that japan is 3rd favorable because all they do is make the ladest techology. For the most part I agree with Americas votes.
Emily Anderson
I was least surprised about the fact that America was less favorable towards Iran because of our current situation with them. For all of the graphs over all I think that they are pretty accurate. Also it was pretty obvious that Canada was going to be favorable to America because it is right above us, and there are no illegal aliens coming from it. Like Tyler said I, for the most part, agree with the American's votes.
In this chart I saw how people feel on certain foreign countries. I wasn't suprised with how people feel on canada because it borders America. Nor was I suprised about Iran, Afgahnistan, because we are in the War around these areas. These numbers tell us how people feel about these countries. I think most of the country likes alot of the world. Most of the percentages were high. I think that the percentages were pretty acurrate. This was a really cool chart.
kyle bennett
why would only 50% of they mexicans like us if they are all coming over her illegaley? i agree with sidney that canada was the people that liked us the most. i was wondering why not alot of china didnt like us seeing how we buy most of all of our products from them. even appel appliences say disgned in californa assembeled in china.
This chart was extremely interesting for me. Although, this chart was not at all surprising. It says that Canada is the most favored foreign nation, from an American perspective that is. The U.S. has not had many disagreements or wars with Canada so it makes sense that most would like them. Also most of the countries that have been our allies in past wars were at the top. This means that probably there are still feelings of friendship with those countries. That is not the case with the nations on the bottom. They are mostly located in the Middle East, and lately there has been a lot of tension between our country and that part of the world. All in this entire chart basically proved that most what I thought was the feelings of most Americans.
I'm not really surprised that Canada is the most favored country. They have been peaceful to us and as far as I know we've never been against each other in war. A lot of people from Canada commute to the U.S., and the same backwards. Us two countries are friends and it makes sense that they are top-rated. Some things that strike me are countries like North Korea and Iraq who are not even last. I don't really know why any countries would be below those two. I also can't believe that Germany is so hihg on the list. I mean after World War II and the Holocaust, I'm surprised that they are that top rated. These numbers mean what the U.S. thinks of other countries and their past experiences with them, whether they are good or bad. The way they are rated I do not detect any racism because every country that is top rated has diverse races. Although, it seems as if most Middle Eastern counties are towards the bottom, whichi is not surprising at all.
What I see in this chart is showing how Americans favor other countries. What I think that these numbers mean is representing how Americans favor countries differently. Dark green represents the percentage of Americans favor the country and the light green represents the perecentage of Americans that don't favor the country. Numbers that strike me as interesting is who much Americans favor Iraq. Isn't the war we hav today going on in Iraq? Yet we don't favor that country the most. Americans don't favor China as much as Americans favor it. Yet hundreds of Americans went to see the Olympics in Beijing, China just a few months ago. That facinates me. This chart says that Americans favor countries that are more like our country and don't favor countries so much that are not like us. This means Americans are prejudice.
i wasn't eggzactly really surprised at the countries that viewed us as unfavorably. i think that those countries we've been in fights with and other conflicts, so that would defiantly lower the ratings on us for other countries.Im not surprised about Iraq and Afghanistan about not liking us because were in a war with them and i would expect them no to like us. and the countries that favor us are either our allies or friends that we don't have a history for fighting and conflicts. Mexico i think doesn't like us, because our national team always beats them in soccer which makes them really angry since there our rivals (had to say that)
I too was not very surprised when I saw this graph. We have always been peacefull with Canada. Also in past wars we have been allies with England and France, and there is many people who favor these countries. I would have thought that some people would still have bad feelings for Germany. This does show there may still be some feelings, but for the most part people have moved on, which is a good thing. I saw there were bad feelings for countries like Afghanistan, North Korea and Iran. This makes sense because we currently, or recently, have had problems with these countries, including war, terrorism and nuclear threats. So it seems that America favors countries it has had peace with and has worked with. But most Americans don't favor countries we are currently having problems with. We once didnt like Germany, but those feelings have been repaired. So we're mainly fine with countries we once disliked.
What i see in this chart is generaly people in the U.S Feel more comfortable with canada and britan mainly because canada and britan have generaly the same culture as americans. Also America seems to look down upon iran and iraq witch is no suprise because generaly most americans are to ignorant to realise that its not the citizens themselves who are terorists. the citizens of the middle east are good people but are constantly abused by terorists groups sutch as alkaida. Also geneeraly americans dont like mexico generaly because of the illegal imigrints. Again here is some masive ignorance. The mexicans arent comeing here to suck out our recources and take our jobs. There here because there goverment is even more corupt then ours and they need to get away from it so that they can start a better life for themselves and there children.
I am not surprised that Iran is not one of the most favored places. With our history of fighting with Iran I definitely see why they are not a most favored place. One thing that I noticed is that Iraq Is higher than Iran on the list. We have not had too many problems with Iran lately but they are lower than Iraq. We are in a war with Iraq right now so why would they be higher on the list than Iran? We have had current problems with Iran in the history like them taking our people but not that recently. Canada is one of our most favored nations because in our history we have never really had problems with Canada they seem to be a peaceful place. Canada, Great Britain, and Japan seem to be our top 3 places. We have never had a really bad history with them so it does not surprise me that they are on one of the top places.
This shows that more of the third world countrys are unfavored by americans and more 1st world countrys are favorable. I was actualy suprised on the height of favorablity for mexico because of all the illegal imagrants and its putting our country into deibt. The more favorable countrys have a better chance of being our allies. This kinda shows how our world is improving since japan and germany were our enemies during world world 2 and now there our 3rd and 4th favorble countrys.
I am not that surprised that we do not like Cuba, Iran, Iraq, or Pakistan. But I didnt think that we liked Germany, Canada, or India that much. Not that I have heard many bad things about these places, but nobody really says how much we like all of these countries. These charts obviously show that more than half of us favore Mexico, Egypt, Israel, France, India, Canada, Japan, Germany, and Great Britain. But more than half of us do NOT favore Cuba, Iran, Iraq, and a few other countries.
I am not that surprised that we do not like Cuba, Iran, Iraq, or Pakistan. But I didnt think that we liked Germany, Canada, or India that much. Not that I have heard many bad things about these places, but nobody really says how much we like all of these countries. These charts obviously show that more than half of us favore Mexico, Egypt, Israel, France, India, Canada, Japan, Germany, and Great Britain. But more than half of us do NOT favore Cuba, Iran, Iraq, and a few other countries.
I am not that surprised that we do not like Cuba, Iran, Iraq, or Pakistan. But I didnt think that we liked Germany, Canada, or India that much. Not that I have heard many bad things about these places, but nobody really says how much we like all of these countries. These charts obviously show that more than half of us favore Mexico, Egypt, Israel, France, India, Canada, Japan, Germany, and Great Britain. But more than half of us do NOT favore Cuba, Iran, Iraq, and a few other countries.
The numbers on this chart shows a poll for people who liked and disliiked different foriegn countries. I found it suprising that people had a higher opinion on Canada than many of the other places. I would have thought that people would have though higher about places such as France, and Mexico. I would think this because many people visit these areas, though many do visit Canada. It also struck me that Great Britian was the next foreign country that people favored. I think this tells alot about our American society, and how America veiws other foreign countries. I think that America has alot of opinion, and are VERY opinionated on which contries they like most. One of the most suprising facts that I saw, was that more people liked Iraq more than Iran. I would think that people would like Iran better because of the Iraq war.
I see by looking at the poll that America views Canada as the most favored country. I was not too shocked by this, because Canada has a fair economy, is our neighbor, and hasn't had any real conflict with the u.s. Mexico, on the other hand had a relatively low rating because of illegal immigration, and drug smuggling. Also, countries with dictatorships were rated less favorable, such as China, and Russia. I think it can be assumed from looking at this graph that America tends to think of countries that we have better relations with, and a similar type of government more favorably.
I wasn't surprized when I saw that Canada was the most favored in the first chart. Canada is right at our border and is very peaceful. This way many people are comfortable with it. What I did find interesting is that 81% of the people polled thought Japan was favorable. And after Japan the next high-scoring country is germany. Which was sort of strange... I never really thought of it as good considering it tried to rule the world. Another noticeable point on the chart is that the same amount (60%) of people found Cuba and Saudi Arabia unfavorable. THis says the the Americans favor the counties on the coasts of continents and islands, but do not like the middle-east.
When I look at this chart I notice that Canada is the most liked country(90%liked). This is not surprising because we have never had problems or wars with Canada. Great Britain almost has as much popularity in America as Canada with 89%. From this chart I notice that Americans seem not to like the middle east. Iran is the most disliked country by Americans with only 12% favoring it and 80% not liking it. I find it surprising that Japan and Germany both have such a high percentage of Americans who favor them. This is surprising to me because we have a bad history with both of these country. Twice Germany started a world war and still 79% of Americans favor them.
I wasn't really surprised by this chart. Most of the countries we found "unfavorable" were pretty much obvious that we don't really like them. Like Iraq, for instance. We find them unfavorable because we are still at war with them. It also seems that most countries where we have had war with in the past are mostly found "unfavorable". It is strange that we still find them unfavorable. Some of those contries are North Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, etc. I think that this chart says that we view countries that had big wars with us are more disliked rather than ones that either didn't have a war with us, or did but was somewhat small.
by Melissa
I noticed in the charts that the US favors Canada the most. This isn't much of a shock, considering Canada is our neighboring country and we don't fight with them much. I also saw that Iran was our least favorite country. once again, this is not surprising. We have been enemies with Iran for quiet a while and being at war with them makes the US not like Iran even more. I have a feeling that many voters might have had family and friends in the war, that they haven't seen in years. The charts show that America obviously favors countries we are at peace with, like Britain. America likes the main export countries to, like Japan.
I find this information to be very interesting. I had no idea that Canada is in such high favor. I think the reason for this is because Canada mainly stays neutral in foreign affairs. However I was not so surprised that Iran was the least favorable state. People think that Iran is the next Iraq, as in that we will soon wage war on Iraq. Wether you think that is true is up to you but that is what some people think, not saying that’s me. What I think we should do is have some sort of peace meeting with these states that are not favorable, try to settle our differences. It is at least better than shooting bullets at each other. That never solved anything. I wish that we had just thought of doing that a long time ago. That probably would have saved a lot of lives.
In this chart I see that countries we have and are at war with are very unfavorable. Countries close to us such as Canada and countries with the same cultures as us, such as Great Britain are very favorable. No numbers really stike me as significant or interesting. I was not suprised by the numbers because it is obvious that we do not like Iraq but are close and comfortable with Canada, for example. The chart is really showing that Americans are afraid of foreign countries, or do not like foreign countries. The top 5 countries are the ones well known and some have the same language as us. These are favorable because Americans can relate to the countries and often travel in those places. This says that America veiws the world as a place to avoid and to always be familiar.
Fist of all I am offended that Portugal was not included on this list. I was not suprised that Iran was on the bottom of the list. I was suprised that Egypt and India where so high on the list. I think it shows that Americans like countries that are similar to them rather than countries like Russia and Cuba. I think Spain and Portugal should have been on this list. I thought that Iraq would be lower than Pakistan and North Korea because we are in a war with them. I wasn't to suprised that Canada was first because they are our allies and we have always been pretty peacefull with them. This chart made me mad!!!!
In this graph I see whether people like or dislike certain countries. Canada got the most votes for being the most favorable. They got 90% of the vote for being most favorable. This didn't suprise me because we've been very peaceful with Canada in the past. The least favorable country is Iran. There are also countries like Iraq and Afghanistan. This doesn't suprise me that they are voted most unfavorable because we are at war with some of these countries. Iran was at the lowest with 80% voting as un-favorable, and 12% voting for it to be favorable. I think this tells us that people don't like the countries we are at war with, or the countries that people have heard bad things about. I think the countries that you don'r hear much about, America likes.
Thomas Andrews
What striked me as interesting is that we are still 50/50 with mexico. I believe that this is affected by americans opinion of illegal mexicans crossing the border. I was not surprised too see that canada has the highest popularity rating because we share a border with them and they are our allies in afganistan.
What I see in this chart is that Canada is the most favorable country with a 90 percent favorability rate. Canada is closly fallowed with Great Britan with an 89 percent favorbility rate. I think these numbers are approval rates of different countries that you hear of mostly. What doesn't surprise me is that most of the middle eastern countries are at the bottom of the list. People mainly hear of bad news and trouble being caused by these countries, so it reflects in this poll. I believe it is safe to say that the countries of Europe place higher on the list than any other continents or regions. This chart says that middle-east is the least favorable region and that Americans view the middle east as the least favorable. This chart also says that the American people think much better upon the countries of Europe and Canada. This chart didn't really surprise me because from what I see on the news and other places, this is where the countries seem to fit into place.
First off Quaid no one cares
now back on topic
This chart did not supprise me. Most of the highly favored allies are in NATO. The lower on list they are they are either non NATO allies or enemies of the U.S. The only thing that really supprised me was that Cuba was not lower on the list because of Castro. David the only terrorist countries are Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan. The only country I think should be higher on the list is Saudi Arabia.
XD
I'm not really surprised by this graph, minus the fact that Germany is a highly favorable country. I mean really, GERMANY? The place where the Holocaust started? But other than that things look like I thought, even though I also expected Iraq and North Korea to be lower down. And what's wrong with Cuba? It isn't evil, is it? Okay, I'm gonna stop complaining now. But everything else makes sense, I guess.....
What i see in the chart is that Canada is the most favorable of foreign countries.The next favorable country is Great Britain. The most unfavorable country is Iran. It does not strike me that Canada is the most favorable because it is not far away, and most people like Canada. Also because Canada and Great Britain are an English speaking country, it wouldn't be hard to get around Canada. It is also not surprising to me that Iran is the lowest becuase we are not very happy with what Iran has done. But it does surprise me that Iraq is the 6th unfavorable country becuase we hear so much about Iraq I would think that it would be more unfavorable than Pakistan, Afghanistan, The Palestinian Authority, North Korea, and Iran. I also know that we have been in war with theses countries but we dont hear it as much as Iraq so that is why I'm surprised. I think that the higher the number on the favorable side means that we like it more than the higher the number on the green side. I also think it means that we aren't fighting with them if the favorable numbers go up. This chart overall did not really surprise me becuase you do see this information on the news.
I am very surprised that Canada was first on the list with 90% of people finding it favorable while 6% did not. It did not surprise me that Great Britain was high on the list. Eighty nine percent of people find Great Britain favorable. It also did not surprise me that countries like Iraq and Afghanistan were low on the list. I was a little bit surprised that 12% of people feel that Iraq is a favorable country. The reason that this 12% surprises me is because we are fighting in that area with terrorists who are being harbored there and people find that country favorable. That is why the 12% percent surprises me. This chart shows that the U.S. favors its allies. That we do that does not surprise me.
In this chart I see that as the bar graph reaches the bottom, the unfavorable percentage increses. The percentage that strikes me the most is that Canadians are favored the most in contrast to Iranians, who are the least favored on the entire chart. I think that Canadians are most favored becuse Canada is closest to America, making Americans feel more trusting of them, and Iranians are probably least favored because of so many stereotypes about them as well as the Iraq War. I think this chart means that Americans mainly favor people that already speak english or are close to America, instead of people who can’t speak english or don’t live near America.
In the chart I see that most of Americans like Canada and a whole buch dislike Iran. I was suprised that so many Americans like Japan and Germany so much even though they had almost taken over the entire world together not so long ago. These numbers mean that America has forgiven these two countries quickly over the last 50 years or so. This chart shows that Americans don't like countries that pose a threat or run a bad government.
I am not surprised to see Canada leading in the highest percentage of favorability in this poll. To me this is a matter of country to country history. To see the middle eastern countries at the bottom of the list is predictable. Especially for the conflict we are having right now. Canada and Great Britan have been more of the friendlier countries for the U.S. No problems with them. I was a bit surprised to see Mexico toward the middle and not toward the top. U.S. and Mexico are close in distance and I would assume they would be mostly favorable. I think most people would think that Iraq would be the last on the list. I think that they are not the last country on the list because some citizens want to make peace with the U.S. and discontiue the hatred expressed to us through war. However it is toward the bottom of the list due to the politicians who support the war and are 100% against America.
It is interesting that countries who we view as unfavorable are non-democratic or communist countries like China,Cuba and Russia. Below those countries are the Islamic states,Iran,Palestine or dictatorships like North Korea and Pakistan. It seems like we will vote favorable or very favorable if they are democratic or pro American. The chart also shows that our allies like Japan,Germany,India,Isreael rate higher above non allies like China,Saudi Arabia,and Mexico.
Our adversaries like Cuba,Iran and North Korea are the lowest.
I think the chart shows that our view of the world is that we favor those countries whose views and ideas are most like our own.
I don't know. The whole thing doen't seem surprising except I agree with Rachel on the why is Germany up so high matter. So predictable that the majority of the countrys we dislike have at one time done something we don't agree with.
In the chart I see, that Iran is the countries that is least favorable. Canada is the most favorable with 90% of the opinions. Which doesn't surprise me since there not that far from us. I was not surprised to see the Middle Eastern countries toward the bottom of the list, since in history so far we've only been fighting with them. These numbers show that the Americans favor the countries that they're closer to.
Im not to shocked about the chart. What I see in the chart is that not many of the MIddle-East and Asia countries are liked except Japan. What I also saw in the chart was that not many people liked Cuba either. I think most of the countries that were unfavorable have been the countries that we are at war with or that are communist or under dictatorship are the most unfavorable . On the chart the ones I thought were the most significant were mostly all the middle-east countries. I think the Numbers mean that not many people like or favor the other countries due to war and dictatorship knowing its wrong. What the chart says about the world is that many Americans like the non-war countries or communist/dictatorship countries.
By Michael MauriaL
I thought that it was interesting that America favored Canada the most. It makes sense because Canada borders the United States, so Americans might favor them more. What I saw that was significant was that most Americans thought that Iran, Iraq and most other Middle Eastern Countries were unfavorable. This also makes sense because Americans don’t have very positive view of countries that are not democratic. I also noticed that Cuba, North Korea and China are all viewed as mostly unfavorable to the Americans surveyed. This means that Americans have a strongly negative view of Communism. I also noticed that of the 19 countries that people were asked about, 10 of them were seen as unfavorable to most Americans. I think this means that most Americans have negative views about foreign countries. They especially have negative views about foreign countries that have different ideas than America.
I think that the numbers mean what percentage of Americans like foreign countries. I can see that in this chart, Canada is the most favorable country by the US at a 90% favorability rate. Great Britain closely follow with a 89% favorability rating. One part of these charts that doesn't surprise me was that most of the countries situated in the Middle East were at the end of the list. I think the main reasons for this is because of the American stereotype that people from the middle east are terrorists. This is mainly from the 9/11 tragedy. But it is also from the media distorting the image of middle eastern people and saying that they're bad and that the government is making it especially hard for middle easterners to get on planes and stuff when there could be plenty of caucasian terrorists. This can also be because we are in a war around those areas. It is reasonable to say that countries in europe are placed high in the list such as Great Britain, Germany, and France. Mexico also has and unfavorability rating of 43%. I think that this is because of the illegal immigrants passing the border and the stereotype that they just come into america to get on welfare and just steal taxpayers money. Also people always hear about the crime rate in Mexico. This makes people feel like Mexico is a bad place filled with bad people so therefore people think badly of it. This doesn't surprise me because I hear many things on the news and they match up with these charts.
In the first chart, i see alot of numbers, a bar graph, and a long list of countries. The numbers that strike me as interesting are the rates for the higher labeled country. I think those numbers mean the percentage of people who think that country as favorable, or unfavorable by the president. That the more popular the country is, the more people with vote on it being 'favorable' or 'unfavorable'.
One thing i notice is that Canada is the most favored foreign country. One thing that struck me as significant was that Mexico wasn't very favored even though it's one of our neighboring countries. Also that over half of the countries listed are less than 50% favorable. I think the numbers mean that we need to make peace and gain alliances more instead of fighting wars. The chart shows that America doesn't favor many countries. I think it means that America needs to be more open minded.
This chart shows the percentages of how much countries are favored and not favored. In this chart I see that most people favor Canada. This doesnt surprise me because Canada has not recently been involved in war. I was not surprised that the majority of the people dont favor Iran because Iran has been a big problem lately. However I was surprised that the graph showed that people favored Japan and Germany more than most other countries. I felt this way because we were against japan and Germany in World war II. Most of the countries that are not favored are in Asia. Some examples are Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. I was surprised that China wasn’t better liked because China makes a lot of the world’s products.
I was not supprised that alot of people like Canada. I was suprised how many people liked Iraq. Because I thought alot of people would be against them because of the war nd everything.I think that it really matters were they took the poll because more people would hate Iraq in New York than Texas. I was suprised that more people did not like china becaus efor us that is where we get like everything. Most things you look at say Made in China. This means without china we might not be getting as much stuff. But that would give many more Americans work.
I was not supprised that alot of people like Canada. I was suprised how many people liked Iraq. Because I thought alot of people would be against them because of the war nd everything.I think that it really matters were they took the poll because more people would hate Iraq in New York than Texas. I was suprised that more people did not like china becaus efor us that is where we get like everything. Most things you look at say Made in China. This means without china we might not be getting as much stuff. But that would give many more Americans work.
I see in the chart that Canada, Great Britain, Japan, India,France, Israel, Egypt, Germany, and Mexico all was favorable in all the counrtys. And the others are the unfavorable. The numbers that interesting to me are that Canada in its U.S. popuarity with 89% favorable rate. I think those numbers mean that the counrtys rates of unfavorable or favorable. The chart says about the Americans viws of the world is that only 50% of the counrtys are most favorable.
I see in this chart that the most favorable country is Canada with 90%. What struck me was that mostly all of the countries near Iraq are near the bottom. i think that this is because since we are at war with Iraq, people think that those countries are bad. This means that people are jumping to conclusions and thinking that all people in those countries are bad people. This says bad things about Americas view of the world. Most of our votes went to the countries near us, and the others were voted down because they were in the south east part of the world. This didn't come as a total surprise because i was thinking that most people were going to vote down because the countries were near Iraq and we are in a war with them. Many people probably view that country as a "bad" one just because of the war.
by:JUAN SALAZAR
when i observed the chart i found that canada and great britain favorites us the most. what i dont get is how is iraq likeing us morew than iran.mexico likes us and hates us.i think the numbers shows the percentage of what country likes us and hates us.it show that america is a hates and fabored state.
In the chart i see a list of countrys in order of Most liked (Canada) to least liked (iran). I find it intresting that north korea is the second least favored. i think that the numbers tell us the percent of people who favored or did not favor a country. the chart tells me we do not like most third world countrys.
From the list it says that most people like to go to canda than iran. ONe thing that intrest me that most americans like going to the north like back then the slaves went to the north to be free.
I think it is interesting that Canada and England are the 2 highest because they are the countries that speak English. I was suprised Germany and India were so high. Mexico is becoming less popular probably because of the drug and immigration problems. Russia is also losing popularity, but has been all over the chart with large drops and spikes. Even though we are at war with Iraq, Iraq has gained more percentage points in popularity. With the favorable ratings the adversaries stays about the same low level. The middle group sees the largest decline of 13% over the last 8 years. I still think it is interesting how India has improved and ranks in favorability with our allys.
by colin
in this chart i see the opinion of americans to other countrys (favorable ,not favorable). what strikes me as interesting is that canada, great britan, an japan are the three top ones.i can understand about canada but great britan and japan a a very big surprise to me. great britan i never really thought about before as a favorible country to americans ive never really thoght about it in general. and then the most surprising one was japan i would have though that japan would have been at the bottom of the list becuase what they have done to pearl haror and the attom bomb. this article tells me that americans do not have a very good realationship with middle easter countrys such as iran iraq and afganastan.
- Tom Ascenzi
I saw in the chart that Russia and china don't really like us that much. Also Canada likes us the most. It really strikes me that canada likes us so much... i mean im glad they do because their our border. I always thought Great Britain was our best ally. This chart means that mexicans dont like us as much as some of us think yet they still border hop. This shows that a bunch of Americans have strong opinons of others countries.
I had noticed that there was many things that. One thing was the I had noticed that there was 90% favorable byt the canadian. The country that had the lowest favorable rate was Iran. They had12% favoarable and 80% unfavorbale. That means that they asre the lowest. The second lowest is North Korea with 15% favorable and 77% unfavorable. The second highest is Great Britian with 89% favorable and only 6% unfavorable. Hard to belive that Irar is only 5 from the bottom of the list. They have a 28% favorable and a 66% unfavorable. That means that are not the most hatted country. The country from this data that is most hatted is Iran. The msot liked country is Canada and the data agrees with what I am saying. They have the biggest difference and they are the farthest differnce apart.
Post a Comment