Click on the link below and look at the map entitled "21st Century Slaves." Explore the map by clicking on the pulsing circles and the different categories on the left side of the page.
Then, answer the following questions in a formally-written paragraph: What do you see in the map? What information strikes you as interesting or significant? What do you think that information means? What does the map say about our world? (Minimum length for credit is 4 sentences; to get full credit, 8 sentences are necessary; find the map using the link below)
Helpful vocabulary: "trafficked" means "sold."
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0309/feature1/map.html
69 comments:
Ryan McQueen
worst place was thialand, because they sell children to foreign petifiles. it seems that almost every country has prostitution problems. But China banned prostitution in the country. The map showed me that there are still slaves in present times. Before the article, i didnt know about 21st century slaves.
In the map I saw that slavery is still a very current thing all over the world. The most significant thing to me is that there is still slavery in America even though we had thought abolished it. This means that even though we got rid of it being common every where, but it still lingered on and we need to get rid of it for good. This map says that the world has slavery every where and it is almost unstoppable until we all work together to ban it forever.
kyle bennett
i was suprised for sum resion that north/south korea and japan didnt have any slavery happening. i didnt know that there was still slaves in the united states of america. what does it mean when when it says effort to combat trafficing other? what is there other than high, medium or low.
I am suprised to see that there is still slavery in the United States. After all of that we have been through and we still have slavery. China and India have the most slaves. Why if we know about this form of slavery are we not doing anything about it? We stopped people from having slaves before so why are we not stopping it now. The maps shows that we still have slavery everywhere even after we stopped it.
On the map i see the number of slaves in each part of the world. information that strikes me as intresting is how many slaves there are in the united states. the information means that there are a higher number of slaves in united states than in most parts of Africa. the information says that slaves are illegal in every country but there are still slaves
Thailand is the worst becuse they sell children to pediphiles and I think that is just sick. I think its really sad that Turkey shows no effort to stop trafficking. Im really upset that there is only a handful of countries that have high efforts to stop trafficking. I thought that at least USA would under the category high to stop it but no it only has medium effort. Personally I think history is repeating itself which I think is horrifying. I am not that amazed that Asia and Africa have more than 250,000 slaves. I am scared that 25,000 to 250,000 slaves are in USA. I am happy that there is alot of countries that have fewer than 5,000 slaves.
I beleive that even though Thailand is the worst out of all these contries when it comes to slavery that all of these contries are realy bad. What is happening in Thailand is terrible, children are acualy being sold to pedophiles and there are enouph children being sold that it makes 26 billion dollars a year. i am very suprised that there is any slavery in the U.S. at all because we have been threw alot to get rid of it and even now there are 25,000 to 250.000 slaves in the U.S. I noticed as i looked at the map that most of the slaves in this contry are being trafficked. A few contries other than Thailand are also useing children as slaves in some way. I also see a very small number of contries that do not hav any slaves or do not have data on the amount of slaves there.
What I saw on the map was the world and all the countries colored 5 different colors. Each color represents the amount of slaves in each country. What was most surprising to me was that there was still so much slavery. Also that there is slavery in Africa because there are mostly black people there and most slaves came from that continent. I also saw that very populated countries have the most slaves. This information means that there are certain amounts of slaves in each country. This amp shows that our world today is still very racist and don’t understand history. I say that because they should now from the history of the USA that slavery causes conflict. Also it is morally wrong in every single way.
In this map I saw that slavery has most definitely not been abolished. There are so many places that still have many slaves. This struck me as significant information because it surprised me so much! Most of the slavery is prostitution in women, and as a girl that's extremely scary to think about. This information means that we have a lot of issues in the world to work on and slavery needs to be abolished. No one should have to go through what these innocent people are going through. Hopefully soon these places with numbers so high can be gone of all the slaves and have free people once again. This map also told me that our world is still racist. Most of the slaves are either laborers or women, and the laborers are most likely foreign to America. We need to work out these issues very very soon.
It is just plain sad that we still have a slavery problem. And when i say "we" imean the world. You'd think we would have gotten over this by now... This just makes me sad. I was horrified to find out that we (U.S) have slaves.. though they probably arent called slaves. It hurts me to say this but people will do anything for money which is just sad. It hurts that some people will ban one kind of slavery just to go and allow another like in China. This makes me sick.
I am very suprised to see that there are more than 25,000 to 250,000 slaves in the United States! Especially becuase our country has been through so much. WE had tried to abolish slavery, and were sucessful, but now I wonder why we still have slaves! I am also suprised that there are many other countries who have slaves. I think this means that our country and many others haven't gotten the point that slaves are people, and not property. I also think that many think that they are superior, and better than everyone else for the people who own slaves. I think this says alot about out world. I think it tells us that people haven't accepted slavery into our country without feeling something against them.
In this map i see that theres alot of slaves stil in the U.S.A which suprises me. This also sickens me because most of it is because of prostitution. This shows how messed up our country is even after the civil war and the slave states. I dont know how this slavery passes through our goverment but this sould be demolished. Our country needs to figure out how to put an end to this.
I see that the United States has 250,000 slaves. I knew there were still some slaves in America. However, I did not know there were this many for a country that abolished slavery nearly 150 years ago. So I am not surprised that the U.S. has slaves. I am surprised that it has so many slaves. This information means there will always be people breaking the law. In addition, it means the government isn't enforcing the law. This map says there is still a lot of racist people in the world.
Ethan Lindblom
I saw that the modern day world is still having problems with slavery it espacialy strikes me that we still have slavery in the uniteed states because we have already had a big slavery era which has already bean solved. I think that means that the united states needs to enforce slavery stronger again. this map shows that our world still has people who think that one race is better that another. Or that ther's just messed up people in the world who have the need to enslave people or just to make them work for free.
I am shocked by all slavery still to this day. It makes you think if anyone has a heart in this world today.I mean who can take a child away from their parents? Who can make someone do something without regret. For these people their should be some kind of punishment. I do think slavery has gotten better I didn't even think it was still around today until readindg this article. Still slavery wust come to a end everywhere! There should be a world punishment to be sure slavery is banned Stop slavery today!
slavery in Mauritania was abolished in 1981. thousands of mauritanians are still shackeld by tradition. other mauritanians are in poverty there is still violance and ignorence. even though slavery is over appartied is still going on.
I am shocked. The U.S. has 5000 to 250000 slaves. Thats unbelievealbe. I mean we try to get rid of it and it is every where in the world. As for countries like China and Vietnam it doesn't suprise me. They have communist governments so you would almost expect them to have slaves. The last wierd thing I saw was that it is illegal in every country. And yet there are millions of slaves world wide.
Most people would agree that the United States is one of the most modern and up to date countries in the world. But it is shocking to know that it is also one of the most slave populated countries in the world, too. I'm not sure what "other" means in rate of an effort to combat trafficking, but I think that is saying that people are not trying very hard. I am outraged and disappointed in all of these countries but ours especially, because of all that we have been through with the topic of slavery. People should have learned a long time ago that it is wrong. I see in the map that slavery is spread throughout the world, not just in stereotypical places or one specific area. I also see that Australia has very few slaves! Other countries should follow its path. I think all this information means that we still haven’t learned about slavery that well because our country has up to 250,000 slaves! It doesn’t sound like a lot, but if you think about every single slave spread through the country and how wrong it is, the number seems very high. The map says our world is different in other areas. Australia has little slaves, and countries like China and India have many. This shows how different each country is. Although, I am not surprised that China and India have so many slaves because both countries are very populated and I hear a lot of news on slavery in those countries. It is weird how we don’t even realize these problems sometimes.
I was completely shocked. I mean I knew that there are still a lot of slaves in world, but I imagined them all to be in like Africa or China. I know that sounds racist but well that’s what I thought. What shocked me so very much was that there are over 20,000 slaves in our country!!!!!!! I was completely appalled. After I read the little blurb about the U.S. I was really mad. It said that 20.000 people were trafficked into our country each year and became forced laborers. In my mind I thought of slavery as a thing of the past. Like, "wow that was bad but it's all over now in our country." I never imagined how wrong I was. This chart showed me that there are still thousands of slaves all over the world. Not just in China or Africa. Also it said that we are in the other category for trying to stop the slave selling business, so that doesn't sound like our country is doing much. Gee, kind of ironic isn't it, that the place called the land of the free is in actuality one of the countries with the largest slave population.
In the map, it was just disgusting. Thailand was by far the worst, selling children to pediphiles is just wrong. I think there neeeds to be more enforcement in this area. What really strikes me is the fact that the in the U.S., people are still being trafficked. In the movie "Fast food Nation," Mexicans are trafficked to big companies like McDonalds, where they use them to work in their digusting factories or use them for prostitution. That movie really relates to this topic. Most countries have prostitution probelms like over in Haiti or parts in Asia where parents are selling their kids for labor and prostitution. Not to mention the fact that most of these children are sexually or violently abused everyday. It's is very shocking about how most students are not educated on this topic, because I did not know that this kind of stuff goes on in these countries. Prostitution is a very huge issue. On the map it says that women are being sold to men or companies as prostitutes and are abused everyday. They have no say and their living conditions are horrible. As I said before, I think anti-slavery needs to be more enforced because I had no idea that it was still going on after hundreds of years!
To be quite honest I didnt know slavery still existed. And to think kids are being sold! I'm disgusted with everyone who would buy a slave. Another thing that shocked mevwas that there are still slaves in the us
I see on the map that North America, South America and Asia have the highest number of slaves! This is surprising because of all the work that was put in to help slave gain their freedom and right to be considered as people, equals. I think that the interesting that the most of the countries shown on the map have 5,000 to 25,000 slaves there, but the second most countries have less than 5,000. This shows that there are still people that are trying to solve the problem over slavery and yet there are still people that believe slavery is ok and it’s ok to own another person. This tells me that the world still has things to learn about how everyone should be treated equally and no one should own another person.
I could not belive that 20,000 people were ushered into the US every year. As if that is not enough most of them were woman and girls. These woman and girls were involved in prostitution. Also in Thiland childen were sold to tourists to have sex. It made Thiland 26 bil. every year. In Hatii about 100,000 kids are sold to slavery by their parents every year. In Turkey their are people who were forced prostitutes.
What surprised me the most was that there is still slavery going on today? I think it’s pretty gross that in Thailand they sell children to pedophiles. Also U.S.A had 25,000 to 250,000 slaves which I couldn't believe. I thought the U.S got rid of slavery a long time ago. If we did this much slavery should not still be going on in America. I was not surprised that China had slavery. I was also surprised that France had so much slavery because I thought they where a pretty current country. Why would anyone in the world buy a slave? I am discussed with anyone in the world who has bought a slave. This article thought me that slavery is still a very current issue. Oh yeah Portugal did not have many slaves!!!
I guess I could say that I was in the least bit surprised about the fact that slavery is still existent. I was already aware that in some countries, slaves were being trafficked but I had didn't know about the numbers. When I think of slavery, I usually think of Africans men. Stereotypical? yes, but who can blame me? It's historical. I have a vague recollection of seeing various things on the news having to do with the trafficking of women and children, so seeing the map brought back those thoughts and It sort of put itself together. It's a little shocking, but for the most part, pretty expected. The world is filled with sick people, and hey, what can we do about it? The map shows information about trafficking of prostitutes and children to pedophiles. It's upsetting but eventually, us as individuals will leave this subject behind because we can't make an effort to stop it. We think of ourselves, and only ourselves, and that is the way of the world. We spare thoughts now and again for those being sold like valueless material items, but we can hardly do a thing, and so we move on to our lives, occupied with superficial things. thatswhy USA only has medium effort to stop trafficking. hmmmmm
I think that's it....because I may accidentally stumble into a rant
What I saw in this map is the world and the amount of slaves in each country. The map consisted of 5 different colors. Each color determines how many slaves are in each country. What I thought was significant was how many slaves were still in the U.S.. The information shows that the number of slaves really depends on the size or population of the country. I think this map says that the world must stop slavery. People are racist in the world still and don't know what was in our past. I was shocked how much slavery we ahve in the world.
In this map I see that dispite the fact that slavery has been banned in these countries for years there is still over millions of trafficing still going on. The information that strikes me is that so many countries are letting this happen, and how cruely this is carried out, it just utterly shocks me. I think this information means that in tha parts of the countries that this is happening, the law enforcement is probably unable to catch it or that the people behind this are able to influence higher officials. This map clearly states that the world we live in is by far too cruel, and that most people are unable to treat their fellow humans with respect and equality.
I am utterly shocked and dissapointed in what I see. The map showed me soo much horryfying information. I can not believe that slavery is still happening to this day. One thing that asthonished me is that even the US still has slavery! I find it quite a dissapointment that after the long,hard work that our country has done to try and make every person equal, didn't completly workout to their fullest extent. I feel so bad that our country isn't trying hard enough to rescue the victims of slavery. But this is not just happening in America, slavery is still going on in South America, Africa, and even Asia. This shows me that people all around the world still have alot to learn about treating one another equally.
It is surprising that there is modern slavery even though every country in the world bans it. The thing that is really surprising is that it is happening on such a large scale. Such as in the U.S. where there are 25,000 modern slaves. It is also very surprising that there are countries like China where there are a quarter of a million slaves. The map says that the world needs to clean up it act and become more aware. I mean it is not surprising that Eastern Europe is at tier three. Where is the rest of the world I mean most of the world is at tier two I mean why not try a little harder and get to tier three and do all you can for those people. I think that the world need to be more aware before this problem can be stopped I mean I didn’t know that there were so many modern slaves.
What i see in the map is that the most populated number of slaves are in China, India, and a bit in Africa. The next most populated with slaves (25,000-250,000) is the United States and Brazil. There are many countries with fewer than 5,000. What strikes me is that North America is the second most populated with slaves. The reason why I think that is because we dont usually hear about slavery in the United States. Also I thought that because of the Civil Rights, i assumed that slavery was totally gone. The information the the map shows is that among all of the issues we have going on right know, the issue of slavery is still happening. I think that the reason why this issue has not been resolved is because of it not being said. But because we have a lot of problems right know, the slavery problem is probably not at the top of the list. Most the the slaves in America are laborers on farms or in factories and mostly women and girls. This is a problem that needs to be fixed everywhere in the world.
what i see in the map is china and Mauritania have the most slaves per year. I also see that most of the slaving countrys sexualy abuse their slaves. this shows that back then we had no understanding of human rights. but now we dont have slaves and understand it better. i think it is ineresting that most of the world was puttining in some sort of effort to compat slavery.
by colin reilly.
It honestly shocked me to see that slavery still exsists in the world. But what confused me is what does this mean by slavery? Would slavery count as working for someone at a job or being a maid or what? because that rediculous how we have so many slaves in our own state that no one knows about. I would like to know more about this because its hard for me to belive that slavery still eexsists
I see lots of things in this graph. There were five different catogories. There were different shades of purple based on how much slavery is in each country. This information tells us how much slavery is still going on in the world. The map also tells us that our world is still racist. This is disgraceful. I don't think it is right that people are keeping blacks hostile just because of their race. It's not fair at all. People should now realize, that our country would function much better, if we all came and worked together.
This map shows a lot of things. The different shades of purple are bases on how many slaves there are in one area. For example the darkest purple shows that there are 250,000 slaves in that area. That is a lot of slaves. There still is so much slaver going on in the world. It is not right and it shows you that people are so disgraceful. Just because people are different colors does not mean anything. We should all come together and work as a team.
In the map I see that the most populated places with slaves were, China, Africa and India. I was shocked to find that there are a quarter million slaves living in China. This shows me that after all the suffrage that the people have gone thought its still happening through the world. This map says about our world that we haven’t improved much at all in fact it's quit disappointing in what is going on today.
Like Quaid, i was surprised to see slavery was going on today. But when we think slavery we think of hard labor on plantations. But as it turns out, most of this slavery is prostitution. I also found it shocking that in Thailand, children were sold to pedophiles. It was also terrible to read that in Haiti children are sold by their parents. But I must also feel bad for the parents. They must have it really bad, since they went to the extreme of selling their kids. And this must of been a very heart-wrenching decision. I wasn't too surprised when I saw that places like the U.S., China, and India had 25,000 to more than 250,000 slaves. This is probably because these places are densely, and heavily populated. So there's more customers willing to buy slaves, and it's easier to hide the trade. This map doesn't show a very positive side of our planet. Why kind of message is being sent when people learn that the purchase of children by pedophiles is contributing 26 billion dollars to Thailand's economy every year! This is a pretty messed up world if a country would be economically hurt if all pedophiles ceased to exist. This map also shows that we aren't doing very much to stop slavery, and if we are, we aren't doing a good job. Even though China is giving a medium effort to combat trafficking, there's still more than 250,000 slaves in China.
I Think it's pretty wild that there are still slaves, especially in the U.S. i think the worst thing is the "sex tourism" thats terrible. There seems like such a huge amount of prostitution in America, and on a grander scale, all over the world.
BY MELISSA:
On the map of current world slavery I saw that foreign countries like China and Thailand are most populated with slaves. Many American products say "made in china" or "made in Thailand" which leads me to believe they need a lot of people to work in factories. I never suspected it was slaves though! I think the most shocking place to have slaves was the Untied States. The US is a free land and slaves are so uncommon that you would think slavery no longer exists. I thought there was a small amount of Slavery left in the world. Turns out theres slaves on just about every continent of the world! I guess we haven't come so far since the Civil War even though slavery is illegal now.
I cannot believe that people still believe in slavery and actually own and sell people. The most strikilingly, significant piece of information is that North America has slaves. There are more than 250,000 slaves in North America. In tyhe United States there are over 250,000 slaves. This map tells me that our world may be more advanced in technology since the caveman, but I don't think that we are completely civilized and human. No caring, human parent would sell their child for dmestic slavery. They would also not physically and sexually abuse thier biological children. Also, in Thailland, children are sold to tourists who are pedophiles. This brings 26 billion dollars to Thailand's economy every year. That is so horrible and wrong and ungodly that even the devil himself would not approve of this disgust and mistreat of a human being.
I think that this is ridicuous. Slavery should be stopped all over the world. What i didn't know was that most of the slavery today is sexual. That is terrible. It doesn't only strip the slaves of their rights but also dignitity and confidence. But the most significant one is the selling of children. I know Haiti is going through tough times but to sell your children to people you haven't even known before that day is terrible. These people can molest or work these children to the bone. The map shows that only a few countries still have slavery inside of them. But small of the richest and most prospurus countries on the earth.
The U.S.-Brazil,China,and India have been states that have held large numbers of slaves. It is interesting that most of Africa and Eastern Europe did not engage inslavery as much. The map show that a large part of our world is engaged in slave trade. At some point in the 21st century it shows that there is a different kind of slavery than what was known in past history
the map shows that there is slavery all over the world. It is in poor countries and rich ones too. I was supprised that the United States had so many slaves. I wasn't that supprised that china had slaves because they watch all their citizens and bug their taxies. there seems to be different reasons for slavery in different countries. In the United Arab Emerites it was to get camel jockies. In the United States people are brought here illegelly to pick vegetables.
I bolieve that slavery should not be allowed anyweres in the world. Slavery can affect people that have done nothing wrong. Why should someone who is doing no problems? Then why should they be a slave? They are being abused and not treated like other americans or other countries. There is no reseon that someone should have to be a slave. They should also no reseon that anyone should have a slave. Slaves get abused by their owners witch is not right for many reseons. No one is able to own someone else. There is no resoen that someone should have to do something without them wanting to it.
I see in the map that China, India, Brazil and the US have more than 250,000 slaves. There are not that many countries without slaves. I would have thought there would be more countries without slaves. I think it means that the world has still not gotten past the concept of human equality. This is not good. This says a lot about our world. Such as we need to improve a lot. I think India has a lot of slaves because of the diverse population of rich and poor. The poor need jobs and the rich want slaves. As the middle class starts to grow so will the decrease of slaves in that country.
I was very surprised that slavery was still going on today. In this map I saw the amount of slaves in each country. There are five shades of purple, and each one represents a different amount of slaves in a country. But in this data, unlike the civil war period, is mostly about the selling of woman and girls into prostitution. Once I read the captions explaining the slavery in each selected country, I realized what they meant, but I had never thought of slavery that way. It does make sense though. I am sure that most people haven't thought it that way either. Most people, when they think of slavery they think of Africans, but slavery has different forms and is not confined to the definition of: a black man, woman or child working on a plantation for a wealthy Caucasian man in the 17th and 18th centuries. The most surprising thing was that of Thailand. They sell children to foreign pedophiles. That completely astounded me that they sell small children to random messed up sex addicts. I can't believe that it also contributes $26 billion to Thailand's economy each year. Thats very sad because if you think about it, if pedophiles disappeared, the overall economy in Thailand could be economically hurt. That is a pretty messed up world if pedophiles contribute that much money to our economy. They contribute $26 BILLION IN ONE COUNTRY! I also feel bad for parents who ahve the extreme choice of selling their kids into slavery. This must be a very hard decision. I think that this map says that we should stop slavery in the world. Slavery is not right because it contradicts the statement, "All men [and woman] are equal." In the civil war, we had abolished slavery. Yet it is still going on with 20,000 people, most being woman forced to be prostitutes in the U.S.. We have banned slavery before, so why not now?
What i see in this map is tht most countries have slavery. I also noticed that the U.S., China Thailand, and India all had more than 250,000 slaves. This is quite alarming. For Example, Thailand n my pinion is by far he worst, selling children to foreign pedifiles for money. Also, what I found alarming was that the U.S. was in this "More than 250,000 slaves" catagory. This is alarming because I didn't know that slavery was apart of America still so i am guessing that many Americans don't as well. I think this all means that even if countries abolished slavery it is still happening in "legal" forms. I think this says that our world is really not as free as it seems. I mean in saying that slavery is still a large part of this world, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better soon.
In the map i see a map of the worlds with red dots blinking all of specific places. The things that strike me as interesting is that the darker the color of area, the more slaves there are. I think the information means that their has been increasing amounts of slaves all over the world in the 21st century where you wouldn't expect them.
I was a little shocked at the reality of what our world has become. I had no idea that there was so much slavery still happening. What I thought was interesting was that I hadn’t heard of this before today. I saw that the majority of the world had some form of slavery, whether it is labor or prostitution. I also saw that the majority of countries with a high effort to combat trafficking had the lowest number of slaves (less than 5,000). However there were still countries like France and Italy, that were in the first tier for effort to combat trafficking, that still had a large number of slaves. This means that countries are at least combating slavery, and it is working. The world is addressing this problem and is trying to solve it. I also noticed that China had one of the largest numbers of slaves (more than 250,000) and that most of them were Tibetans that didn’t agree with the Chinese beliefs. This shocked me because I already knew about how China was harmful towards the Tibetans, but I didn’t know that it was as bad as keeping them in slavery!
In the map I notice that most countries still have slaves. I also found it shocking that there were still slaves in the United States. After all we went through fighting a civil war to stop slavery I am surprised that there are still 25,000-250,000 slaves still in America, "the home of the free". I also noticed that there is a lot of slavery in eastern Asia. In China trafficking in women has been outlawed but they continue to force political prisoners, including Tibetan dissidents to labor in detention centers. This surprises me because there are over 250,000 slaves in China. In some countries, such as Haiti, children are sold into slavery by their parents. This shows that the parents are so desperate to make some money that they would give their own children to a life of no education and physical as well as sexual abuse. This shows that our world still hasn't given up the slave trade. The rich people want the slaves to do work in their homes and make them money, so even though slavery is illegal in every country it is very hard to stop altogether and is notoriously hard to measure.
I can see in this map that slavery is still at large. I was stunned to se that U.S.A. is right up there with tons of other slave owning states like Brazil. I and no idea that Americans still have slaves that are forced into manual labor. I did know that places like China, India, and Africa were still using slaves, but the U.S? Thailand was the most shocking, selling children for 26 billon dollars a year! I also saw that the only continent without a slave population over 5,000 is Australia. I think this information is telling us that slavery is still a big issue that needs to be taken care of. This map says that in the present world we have to worry about slavery just as much as we had to in the past.
I see South America,North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. In Africa that slavery was reseachers in 1981. In the U.S an estimated of 20,000 of peolpe are trafficked into the U.S each year. The information means that slavery is bad in all states. The map says about our world has alot of slavery in it and it is bad.
LOGAN R
In the map i see that places like the US, Brazil, China, and India are the countries with the most slaves. The information that strikes me as significant is that in very country on earth slavery is illegal. Despite this fact some countries have more that 250,000 slaves. I had no idea people were being bought and sold and especially into prostitution as young ladies. What was also surprising to me about this map is that the effort to combat trafficking was shockingly low. This is a serious problem and people should really think about whether its right to buy and sell people.
One thing I saw in the map was that there are still many places that have slaves. Pracitcally the whole world has some slaves. What striked me as significant was that in the entire U.S. there are over 250,000 slaves!! That completely amazes me! I knew that there was still slavery but I din't know it was to this extent. Even the north of the country which worked so hard to get rid of slavery has slaves. What happened to those terrible times where everyone was fighting about slavery? And when a lot of people were fighting to stop it? I think it means that as we said in class "we still have the wolf by the ears, but don't know what to do with it." I think we will never fully get rid of slavery. I think the map says that in this world no one country will treat all of its people equal.
i see that we have lots of slaves in our world. what interest me is that america has still has slaves. this proves that slavery hasn't ended. in the map the china ,india, brazil,and america are the major countries that have slaves. china and india has over 250,000 slaves. brazil and america has slaves between 25000.
This map showing all of the countries with slaves is very eye opening. I had no idea that the United Sates sold slaves. Didn’t we kinda fight a war over that issue? Oh well, what do I know. I think that the information on the map shows that we are a world of really lazy individuals, however you could still make the argument that the people who own the slaves are selling them, which would not be considered lazy. But not only that, it shows that we really have no care for people who are different. Sad as that my sound, but I think by looking at the map, that shows. I think that what we need is to find a way for slavery to end once and for all. (Seriously, we fought a war over this.)
I was shocked to see how much slavery there still is today. I was really surprised to see that the USA has the 2nd highest number of slaves. That parts of Europe have high numbers of slaves was surprising too. China and Asia lead the world with the most slaves along with parts of Africa. Haiti is also vey bad about selling children into domestic slavery with 100,000 kids a year. It is not just black slaves anymore but also women and children. It is sad that the world picks on women and children who can't protect themselves. It also shows that men seem to be more valued than women and children in those parts of the world. I think it is sad that so many innocent people are still slaves.
i cant beliv i had never heard of the slavery in the U.S. before. this is going on and a lot of people dont know about it. but i dont think this problem can be addresed just yet, i think we need to help the people selling them first. chances are that this is the only way they can feed their familys. if we just stoped the selling of slaves, eather the sellers will die, or they might take up some other cruel, or bad job, or they may just become homless, and living on the street, and thats another problem altogether. i was not supprized by the amount of slaves in some places, because i had heard about it before, but i was suprised at how young some of the girls were that were being sold. i think some new jobs should be available to the poeple involved in slavery, and this should be stopped. i also agree with billy's very long comment that "It was also terrible to read that in Haiti children are sold by their parents. But I must also feel bad for the parents. They must have it really bad, since they went to the extreme of selling their kids." becaus this meens that someone else is worried about the people forced to sell slaves, or even their kids, so that they wont die of starvation.
I saw on the map that there was a high persentage of slaves in the U.s. and China. I just don't understand how? I mean i know there is alot of prostitutes in the U.S. but i didnt think that was considered slavery. I mean they do get paid for it. I thought that there were no slaves in the U.S. but aparently i'm wrong. I think this information is pretty interesting and it means that we still have to work hard to permantly eliminate slavery. I esspecially feel bad for the children sold to pedophiles to be sexually abused and raped. It may take some time though. This shows that our world isn't remotely perfect yet.
Emily Anderson
I was really surprised that the United States still had 25,000 to 250,000 slaves. I thought that people had come to their senses on slavery. It is wrong to own people, they are not piece of land or something from a store they are humans. Another thing that I was surprised about is that there are more than 5 countries that still have more than 250,000 slaves. Do people seriously think that it is OK to "own" that many people? Well obviously they do, and in my opinion that is not OK. Even the countries that have 5,000 slaves is still wrong, it may not seem to be a huge number compared to 250,000 but 5,000 is more than our whole school and probably more than double that. I don't think "owning" all of these people is right, and I don't think that anyone should have the right to take people and make them do whatever their "owners" want.
What struck me as interesting is that their is not a ticket in south africa because all the time I hear news about slaves and child soldures who are tecnically slaves. What also took me by surprise is that the US Goverment is considerd other, we should be doing everything thats possible to stop the trafficking and slavery.
I noticed that on the map there was a high persentage of slaves in the U.S. I would not have guessed this because I never thought that therew were so many slaves here. I think saying that you own someone is a horrible statement because no one should have the right to own someone. I thought that we were all free.I think that the information on the map shows that we are incable of working.This is really bad that people who just don't want to work don't because they can own someone.
Well 1st of all, i thought it was...disturbing as to how the Thailands sold children as "Sex tourism" to pedophiles. 2nd of all, it surprised me that America, which is supposed to be a free nation, still has an estimated 25,000 to 250,000 slaves. I would never have guessed this becuase we live in what seems like the ideal little towns of CT where there is hardly any crime (and hopefully no slavery....as far as i know). I was convinced that Americans had come to their senses that slavery is wrong. The final thing that shocked me was that in France, 90percent of the prostitutes are victims of trafficking. Once again, this shows that slaves are used to sell to other people for money. Sex slaves are surprisingly, apareltly common.
This surprised me a lot. Not only the fact that in the U.S. they still had a uple thousand slaves, but the fact that thailand sold their children to pedophiles. That shoud not hav been done. And i agree with courtney that saying u own someone is wrong. All people deserve to be free and should not hav to be forced to work for others.
I am appalled to live in a world that still has so many problems with slavery. I am even more disgusted to find that my country has 25,000 to 250,000 slaves and our effort to abolish it is not high. The continent of Asia stands out to me as the worse though. Selling children and forcing labor on prisoners is just not okay. And they still have more than 250,000 slaves. Our world is lazy and sick. We are unfair and still think that we are higher and better than the prostitutes and prisoners who live below us. Our world needs to get the big picture, that we are all the same. Underneath everything you couldn't tell anyone apart.
Post a Comment