According to the Random House Dictionary, a diary is "a daily record, usually private, especially of the writer's own experiences, observations, feelings, attitudes, etc."
It is safe to assume that, as he wrote in his diary in 1864, Jerome Titus was probably not thinking that it would be studied and published by middle school students 150 years in the future. Diaries and other private records were not written to be shared; but, they do have historical value.
Answer the following question in a formally-written paragraph: Do we have the right to study and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus? (Minimum length for credit is 4 sentences; to get full credit, 8 sentences are necessary)
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
68 comments:
Ryan McQueen
I dont think we have the right to look at this diary. i do not think so because it was his personal thoughts. He also did not devote it to hystorical study. Nobody has the right to just invade ones privacy without a warrent, it isnt justice. I beleive we should only look at a hystorical figures diary if he/she devoted it to study.
I believe we do have the right to study this book because we are learning history as we read. Without this book there are somethings we will not be aware of that happen in the civil war. This book helps us understand things and new events. It also helps us read the handwriting by trancribing the journal. With this book we will learn things that people ahven't learned, we will learn what a normal american int he army would have to do. Or even learn a normal american's lifestyle back in the 1800's. It also helps us see what kind of struggles they went through. Im sure Titus wouldn't mind us studying the book for new information for our knowledge.
by: MICHAEL MAURIAL
We do have the right to read Jerome Titus diary because we want to know what happened a while back. We should have the right to know important history. It is important to know what he wrote about, because what if he wrote something important that we did not know about? Mabye if there was an important detail in the diary that could lead to something else important. By reading this diary we can see how he felt during the war. We want to know what his thoughts were. We don't have any knowledge on how people felt about the war. By reading this diary we will know alot more on how the war really was for these person.
- Tom Ascenzi
I think we do have the rights to study Jerome Titus diary. The reason i say that is because if he just wrote it for himself than what did he plan on doing with is when he died. I think he wrote so other people could understand his life. I think it will help us understand people from the 1800's better. I also find this very interesting to me. I mean what if we kept every diary and letter secret and no one could ever study it. We wouldnt know half the things we do now if we did that. So this is why i think we should be able to study his diary, it will help us understand him.
Yes I do think that we have the right to publicize Jerome Titus diary. We should be able to because it was his but there is nothing saying that we are not allowed to study his diary and publicize his diary. By reading his diary we will now know how he felt during the war. It will help us learn about the war back then and what the some of the soldiers were going through. We would not have a lot of knowledge about the war if we did not read into people’s diary. If we were not able to we would not have any insight of what they were going through we would only have what we thought they were going through or the survivors that it happened to. If he knew that 150 years into the future we would be studding his diary I do not think that he would mind. By studding this now we can know what was happening with a different group of the war.
I think that we do have the right to study the diary of Jerome Titus because we can fell how life was like in the Civil War. While doing this we can learn to transcribe different diary entrees. We should publicize the diary for the people that want to learn more about the Civil war. To show the public that we are learning about are pass and not trying to beleive what the books say and what a really person says about that time.
I don't believe we have the right to publicize the diary of Jermoe Titus. Think about it for a second. Would it be different from someone finding out who you voted for and publishing it in the newspaper. The answer is no. We could transcribe other papers. These papers would not be diaries. Even they wouldn't be diaries, they'd help us understand history better. In short, you need to put perspective into this.
I belive we should read Jermoe Titus's diary. If we dont no one will know about his life. another reson is no one will no the terriffing truth of the civil war. and finaly most diary's of famous people are published because of the're fame Jermoe is an important person in history so yes we should.
II think we have everry right to read and publize Jeromes titus diary. I belive this because he is dead and by reading this it would further our education about the civil war and it would be easier to understand hearing it from a first hand. If this man was still alive i think we would be invading his privacy because he may speak of other things that could afffect him. But since he a dead guy it dont matter.
Yes,
I believe we have a right to study this persons diary for historical purposes. Some may say this is a invasion of privacy. But if this person wrote the diaryand did not destroy it before he died he must have had some idea that others would read it in the future. According to the free dictionary.com diary is another name for journal and journal is another name for a newspaper which is public acces to for anyone to read.
Emily Anderson
I think that we do have a right to read Jerome Titus' journal entries. I have this feeling because, no offense to him but he is dead and he really can't do anything about it. I also belive that it is OK because we are studying what happened a long time ago from another person's point of view and not just what other historians have to say about it. Like Mr. Croft has said, we are the only people who have ever tried to transcriebe this certain book, so without the class transcribing it who knows when someone else would have access to it. Although some people may think that this is an invasion of privacy, we 8th gradersare just using it to study what happened during the day from Jerome's point of view. Although the people who have said no have a point, I think we have a point too and that everyone has their own oppinion of whether it's OK or not.
I think we do have the right to study his journal. I do because at this day of age we still don’t know everything about the past, so we could use the information in the journal. We could use it to find information like what the weather was that day or what he did that day, etc. it is important to know what happened in the past so we as a nation can learn from it. For example the Great Depression could help us learn how to get out of our economic crisis. Secondly Jerome Titus is dead so there shouldn’t be any objection. He also was an American boy; he would most likely have let us use his journal to learn about the past. He would support America so they can learn information from the past.
Yes, we should have the right to study and publicize Jerome Titus's diary because he is dead. He wrote his diary in 1864 during the civil war, so it has a lot of information. The history it gives us will be helpful. For example- the diary of Ann Frank gave us knowledge of Hitler and the Nazis. It gives us ideas of what he was thinking at the time. I don't think it is an invasion of his privacy, because he and all of his friends are dead. The more information we have, the more we can learn about that time. Having many sources helps get the full picture of what was happening.
BY: Melissa Harel
I believe we have very much a right to study Jerome's diary. In my opinion, men don't keep diaries, they keep journals. Journals are usually less personal and are more based on what you did that day and your reflection on it. Diaries are more of a girl thing, discussing deep personal feelings, emotion, thoughts, gossip and can be typically more revealing to one's personal life. Jerome's diary might not have been written to be read by other's eyes, but i've noticed his writing style. He generally writes about what he did as a soldier that day and the weather. That is not such a secret and personal topic. Even though we have the right to read his diary, doesn't mean it's a right thing to do.
Kyle Bennett
i belive that we do have the right to read his diary because for one he is deadand we can learn about thing from the past. to a hisoryain it would be like lokeing at a big piece of cake but you cant eat it you can only stare at and you are really hungry. in other words if we couldnt study a persons diary then we wouldnt now mutch about how the people felt during that period of time. it is also like what mr.croft said hisorians are like miner digging for the raw material to make books, hisory books, and movies. if we didnt read peoples diarts then we woulldnt exactly know how people felt about fighting in wars or other things that no one documented and no one new it happened. until a diry was read from the person who was there. when we are reading Jerome Titus' diary we could find something about the war that know one new about until now.
I think that there is nothing wrong with reading a dirary for historical study. Plus the diary dosen't contain very deep feelings. I mean if we are studing the diary for research to find out what happended durring the war. Not all personal things are secret. Right now I am writing my feelings and when I post this any one can read it. I don't care if any one reads I am sure this how Jerome felt righting his diary.The only deifference is that whatever I write will stay on the internet forever. While whatever is writen on paper can be burned.
I think there is nothing rong in ready jerome titus's journal and publisizeing it. This gives alot of knowledge to people about the soldoers thoughts, and the discoverys he made. This will show alot about the war. Alot of things we dont know aboutt he war can become clear with this diary. Their is nothing writen or any proff that we souldnt be looking at it. If he wanted this to never be looked at he would have written it or gave us some hints.
Ethan Lindblom
I think that we do have the right to study and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus. The reasons I think that is that he's no longer alive so he can't be offended by anything he might not of wanted other people to hear. Also I think that it's more important to learn and teach others about the past than it is that we might share a dead pearsons pearonal information. Another reason is that no one owns the rights to his diary. He used to own them but after he died no one obciolsy clamed it if it was randomly found.
I think that we have the right to study Jerom Titus's diary. The government has never made a law that says that we can't. Some may say that it is an invasion of property, but seriously, he's dead. nobody cares about his personal feelings so its not like he's going to be embarassed or anything but he can't be because he's dead. When we read diaries and letters from history, were looking at pieces in a puzzle and figuring out where they go in the puzzle of history. If were not allowed to read a diary, its like not being able to find a piece in a puzzle and then you can't finish it. By reading this diary we will be able to figure out more about history and more specifically the civil war. Without reading diaries and journals, we would not be as knowledgable as we are today. Most of the info from history textbooks and history movies are based off letters and diaries. I dont think that he would of cared if 150 years later, an 8th grade class was reading his diary and transcribing it for the public. Even though I think that we have a right to read it, i don't really know if it is the right thing to do.
Without a doubt, we have a right to study Jerome Titus' diary.
Now that Jerome is dead, he cannot possibly have possession of something. Therefore, we have a right to look at/read his diary. Secondly, think of ALL the information that we've learned from other diaries (Diary of Anne Frank, etc). Even if you do think of reading deceased peoples diaries as an invasion of property, think about the benefits. These out way the risks. Lastly, as Ben said, there is no law against reading a dead persons diary, unless they have it written in their will, or something like that. If Jerome Titus was a man living in the 21st century, and was writing about the War in Iraq, it would be different if we stole his diary now. And if this was an invasion of property, how long do you think it would take the U.S to catch on to publicizing old diaries, and start putting people behind bars for the crime?
I think we do have the right to study the diary of Jerome Titus because we can learn from what he wrote. As Americans we learn from the mistakes of our past so we don't make the same mistake again. Reading his diary will help us to be better educated of our past as a nation. I think we also have the right to publicize his diary because that way all Americans can learn about this man. History books don't just appear from no where. Before history books can be written as second hand information the writers need to learn about the past that they are writing about that none of them were actually there for. to do this they have to get information from people who were there first hand. Since these primary sources of information come from people who were there and are now dead we must look at things they wrote in order to teach the world about it. For example Anne Franks diary still is teaching millions of people who weren't actually there, about the Holocaust. Being educated about this time is helping us to not let it happen again.
I agree with Ryan on this one. I don't think that we have the right to study Jerome Titus's diary. The entry's he wrote were completely personal and he, again, didn't give permission or create it to be used for a history class. Although his opinion is no longer valid, or even existent, considering that he's dead, we should still respect the fact that it belonged to him, regardless of how much information about the war is in it. The question being, "do we have the RIGHT to study it", the answer is NO. However, I do agree that we can learn very many things by transcribing and invading his own thoughts and records of his days. If the question was, "Do you think that jerome Titus's diary contains useful information to study and help us better understand the personal feelings and beliefes of a person living in the time of the civil war?"
The answer is yes. Although the book is no longer in his possesion, we have no right to take what he has left, not for science or history.
I agree with Ryan on this one. I don't think that we have the right to study Jerome Titus's diary. The entry's he wrote were completely personal and he, again, didn't give permission or create it to be used for a history class. Although his opinion is no longer valid, or even existent, considering that he's dead, we should still respect the fact that it belonged to him, regardless of how much information about the war is in it. The question being, "do we have the RIGHT to study it", the answer is NO. However, I do agree that we can learn very many things by transcribing and invading his own thoughts and records of his days. If the question was, "Do you think that jerome Titus's diary contains useful information to study and help us better understand the personal feelings and beliefes of a person living in the time of the civil war?"
The answer is yes. Although the book is no longer in his possesion, we have no right to take what he has left, not for science or history.
I agree with Ryan on this one. I don't think that we have the right to study Jerome Titus's diary. The entry's he wrote were completely personal and he, again, didn't give permission or create it to be used for a history class. Although his opinion is no longer valid, or even existent, considering that he's dead, we should still respect the fact that it belonged to him, regardless of how much information about the war is in it. The question being, "do we have the RIGHT to study it", the answer is NO. However, I do agree that we can learn very many things by transcribing and invading his own thoughts and records of his days. If the question was, "Do you think that jerome Titus's diary contains useful information to study and help us better understand the personal feelings and beliefes of a person living in the time of the civil war?"
The answer is yes. Although the book is no longer in his possesion, we have no right to take what he has left, not for science or history.
Sorry for posting three times. =]
-Michaela Bolton.
I completely disagree with Michaela Bolotin. I believe that we have the right to look into his personal diary even though we never asked his too. Also I think that we have the right to look into his diary because he is no longer alive or had position of it. Also I believe that we have the right to learn from his diary. He would have been happy that we looked into it not upset. But I think that he would be upset that he read his diary WITHOUT his permission but you know what he’s dead so he has no say in this.
I think that we do have the write to read Jerome Titus's journal becuase he died a long time ago. Also reading this journal is going to help us learn about the Civil War. I think that it would definitively be different if Jerome Titus lived in the 21st century becuase then its basically snooping in someone else personal business. But becuase he died a long time ago, I fell that its fine that we are reading it. Anne Frank probably didn't know that someone was going to read her diary and it lead to a historical discovery. Maybe we will learn something we didn't know by reading his journal that no body ever new before. And so far he seems like a pretty nice person. I bet that he would have been fine with having some eight grade students read his journal to learn about the past.
I think that we do have the right to publicize and study Jerome's diary. I think that we have this right because if this book that has been preserved for a few hundred years has been damaged in some way or another, it could be unreadable, and people would forget all about it. These diaries of soldiers, at the time being Jerome Titus, is about the closest thing that the people of America have to remember and study what really happened in the Civil War. We also get it from not a books perspective, or an author, but a primary source, being this diary. I think that publicizing this book could let many of the people out in the world that know little about this event, know how it really felt to be a soldier fighting in a war. Many people have not experienced this feeling, including me. I would think that publicizing this would let many people have a chance to read this diary, even though diaries are supposed to be kept secret. I feel abit weird being in someone's own diary, since they are meant for one's own memories, but I am sure that Jerome Titus would love for people to know how it felt to be a soldier in the Civil War.
Yes, I do think that we have the right to study the diary of Jerome Titus. It is important to learn more from the past. Also I think it's ok because he is not alive anymore. It is good thing to be studying a person from the past. We can learn more about our history. Reading his diary we can learn more about what people did back then. Also we can figure out new words that they used and it is fun to learn about a person from our history. So, long story short i do think that we have the right to be publicizing the diary of Jerome Titus.
Yes, I do think we have the right to read and learn about Jerome Titus's diary. I mean he's dead now. He wrote this diary about 150 years ago. I don't think he would mind if we read it. It's also good that we are reading this because we can learn more about historical happenings. Maybe we can learn something totally new that hasn't ever been put into books. It's also fun to see how people would hear words and spell them many different ways without knowing the correct spelling. I think that Jerome's diary will help us to better understand how our world got to become what it is today.
I think yes, we do have some sort of right to invade Jerome Titus’s diary/ man journal. Yes that’s right, Jerome Titus has a manly journal. Even though most people would not want other people looking at their journal, I think that Jerome Titus would want us to because it is all in the name of history. If I ever had a journal that had a little bit of history in it I would let people 150 years latter read it. I mean, by that time I would have already died, so what do I care? Go nuts reading some of my bad handwriting and spelling mistakes. But the major point that I’m trying to get at here is that we should not even think about if reading his diary is moral or not. (But if we do go to court for it, you can just blame the people who gave you the diary, claiming it was their idea. I’m just saying.) Even if Jerome cared that we were reading is personal thoughts, what could he do? HE IS DEAD, what is he going to do, throw an arm at me? Of course not! All in all I’m just saying that we shouldn’t care what a DEAD guy thinks about us reading his man journal.
I would say that we do have the right to transcribe Jerome Titus dairy. There are many reseons why we have the right. One reseon is that if we publicize the diary then other people can learn from what we have done. That the do not have to transcribe the diary. Another reseon is that we are helping other people that are intrested in what he had wrote in his diary. The dairy could also help us to know what was really going on in the civil war. The way would know that is because he was one of the soldiers in the war. The last and final reseon that we should have the right to study his diary is because we are trying to learn. The way that we are trying is by looking and reading something that was written a long time ago and then learning what was really going on at that time period. That is why we should have the right to study and publicive the diary of Jerome Titus.
Thomas Andrews
yes i believe we have a right to look at his diary even though it is his personel property. by looking at his diary which is a primary source of info we are able to peice together events that took place and the feelings of common soldiers. obviously we are not the first people to look in Civil War diaries, many people have done it before us. without this source history books would not be able to be written on the topic. Lastly, i think jerome Titus wanted someone to read his diary. I think for him it acted like a tissue for his emotions in the hardships of war. I thnk Jerome Titus wanted someone to read his story, he wanted someone to know what it was like during the civil war.
I think we do have the right to look through it but it is also an ivasion of privacy, so with that I am half way on the subject. Since he is dead, us exposing his diary entries won't get him embarissed or anything, but diaries are personal (at least now a days they are) and only for the writer's eyes. Although why would you write one in the first place, would it be for the joy of writing? Last time I checked writing over and over again isn't very fun for the average person. Also, writing to your self about your self's day, almost every day would be pointless if no one ever read it besides you unless your brain has a memory disorder and can't remember anything a couple days of when it happens (which isn't too possible). Jerome would be honored to let us transcribe his diary if he knew we wanted to get a first hand source about his time period so bad that we would transcribe his entire diary and then publish and sell it to everyone and if I were him I would let us for the betterment of our knowledge. Titus wouldn't have much say over the matter anyways since he is dead and decomposing in a coffin some where. In conclusion we do have the right to publish Jerome Titus's book and I am sure he would let us anyways.
I think we do have the right even though he had that right back then. He is long now and with all the other first hand accounts of the civil war time period. I think that a persons rights are not fully in affect if that person has been dead 150 years and nobody is speaking up for him. With the information from his diary we are contributing to our nation's history. The factual benefit from this diary will far outweigh the small cry against our cause. The historical value is going to a major asset in our understanding of the Civil War we will be transcribing something nobody has ever. This will gives us a chance to feel how we feel there will be nobody else to to influence except Jerome Titus.
I think that we do have the right to study and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus. This is because of it could help people have a new view and also a view form someone who was there to witnessed it. But I also think that we do not have the right to study and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus, this is because diaries are private. How would you feel if someone when there you diary or journal, studied it then published it? However seeing how much knowledge this diary could provide and give a different perspective, especially including how he was there during the event. This diary could be very useful so I can see how this dissection to study and publish Jerome’s diary could be made to benefit history.
I do not believe that we have a right to read his diary. It is his private journal that belongs to him. I do, however, believe that reading journals such as Jerome’s are essential to cracking history’s code. Otherwise we wouldn’t have a decent grasp on what happened. Nothing gives us the “right” to read his journal, but it is worth it. One thing that pardons us a little is the fact that he is dead. Long, long dead. I know that if I was dead, I would want people to know about my life. I would want me legacy to carry on. I realize that what I am saying is slightly contradictory but I think that without Jerome’s consent it isn’t right to read what he wrote but that we must do it anyway. But im sure he wouldn’t mind.
I definatly belive that we have the right to study Jerome Titus’ diary. One reason would be that considering the fact that it dates back to the Civil War area, it’s officially considered a historic artifact that could give important information about the Civil War that we didn’t know about before. Another point is that this being writen 150 years ago, Jerome would never consider the possiblity of it being studied 150 years later. A final point is the type of diary it is, to me it seems that Jerome simply kept this diary to record daily events, not to keep personal feelings , even if he did that would help give more information on Jerome himself.
In my perspective I would think we are not doing anything awful in reading his journal/diary.
I would be fine with someone reading my diary, just not in the near future. What i mean is that if I was a witness to a historic event and wrote about how i felt i would love to be able to contribute to history. However I wouldn't want my diary read till A) everyone i know dies or B) till I die. Though I would rather B than A.
I think that we have the right to publish his diary with the owners permission. Since we have gotten permission we should be allowed to. I do not think that it would matter anyway. I think this because even if he was involved in a major feleny we could not do anything about it. Although we should not do this without the permission of the current owner. I also think that it is okay because we can learn more about our past with this diary. I also agree with Spencer that he has been dead for 150 years so his rights have kind of been lost and forgotten. I also think that Kkate is right tha Anne Frank did not know that someone was going to read her diary but, it has been made into a book.
I do not think that we have the right to invade Jerome Titus's personal diary.Even though it has been 150 years, I feel that we would still need his thumbs up on it.It's too bad that will never happen.It would have been fine to transcribe any other documents, but a diary is personal.I may think it's not the right thing to do, But I also think that our class should transcribe it. As Emily said, this diary is a historical artifact.If historians thought they were invading privacy, and decided not to transcribe certain documents, we probably wouldn't know half as much about historical events and people as we do today. So reading these documents is key to understanding our history. Do I think we have the right to do this, not really. Do I think we should do this, yes.
I do not beleive that we have the right to read and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus. When someone writes a diary they write it for them not for a 8th grade class to read, copy, and sell for even more people to read. I beleive if Jerome Titus wanted people to read this diary someone else would have already transcribed it. What if Jerome has some pearsonal stuff in this book that he did not want anyone to know?, we are violateing his privacy by reading something that was probly very pearsonal to him. I understand that it does hold a great amout of historical value but we shouldent even read this because he never gave anyone permission to read it.
I think we have the right to look at his diary. The Civil War happened a long time ago so this is one of the only things we can see to help us get information on the civil war. He probably would have wanted us to see his diary because he would want us to see the hardships he and other Americans went through. He would also want us to read his diary because it would show us the mistakes we made before so it might teach us not to do that again. I don't think Jerome would care if some middle school students in his home town read his diary. If we didn’t read his diary we might have not learned important facts about the Civil War. I think if he knew we would be reading his diary he would have written neater. Lots of information in textbooks are from peoples diary's that people transcribed. I think it is fine that we are transcribing his diary.
I feel that we do not and we do have the right to study and publicize the diary or Jerome Titus. I feel we do not have the right to do this because a diary is written in by someone who thinks it is just for themselves. Diaries are private possesions. I think it would be alright if we had Jerome's permission, but he is dead. How I think that it is ok is that personal diaries from people who lived during important times in history help draw a clearer picturen of what that event was like. Or it helps us learn events that happened years ago that was never known about. I guess if they are not alive anymore, it's ok to go through their diaries. I still feel it's half ok to do it, but it should be done with care and respect for the person who wrote the diary. So I think it is ok to go through Jerome's diary.
I really do think that we have the right to study, read, and publicize Jerome Titus's diary. This is because, first of all, Jerome was alive over 100 years ago, so it's not like he's going to sue us or anything. If I were him, I would be honored to be having my diary read. If I wrote a diary, and it was ready over 100 years later, I would be hoping tha my diary would change history.
I think that we do have a right to study and publicize the journal that belongs to Jerome Titus. I think this because by studying this diary we can gather more information about the time when he was alive. It also can help us learn more about the life of a person who had to do with the civil war. Even though we already has established the fact he was a musican. I can see why people would not want to decode his diary because the only person who should read this diary is Jerome Titus himself. I wouldn't like it if someone read my diary. We can only hope that he wouldn't have minded too much. And really I don't think he would have because we are only using it to help others and ourselves learn.
In my opinion we do have the right to look through Jerome Titus' diary. I think this because while looking through his diary we are learning about American History. Even though his thoughts were private think about it. There are so many things we could learn about the Civil war by just reading his diary. I think that Jerome would want the children 150 years later to learn about him. This is a historical piece of history and soon enough it will go to waste and wither away to nothing. We need to take control and read it now while we still can, to learn about all of the history it holds. In my opinion, Jerome would've loved the fame. Who wouldn't? This is why i think we have the right to read Jerrome's diary.
I believe that we have the right to study and publicize the diaries from Jerome Titus is all right as long as there is consent from his descendants. I mean technically they own the diary. They inherited it from him just like someone inherits money. So as long as they are ok with it then I believe it is ok. I do not agree with people saying that this is an invasion of privacy because I mean Jerome Titus died a long time ago. I believe that anyone who would be worried about what he did in 1864and 1865 that he wanted to keep from them also died a long time ago. I mean with that a side I don’t think that he is going to write about o much emotional stuff. From what I have read it appears that he used his diary as a place to write down what he did during that day. So the bottom line is I think that as long as there is an ok from his descendent then I believe that it is ok to study and publicize the diary.
This is an extremely difficult concept to grasp. I would have to say that I do believe we have the right to study his diary. Yes, I know that a diary is supposed to be a private and confidential book, but I think that they hold a great amount of historical value. If it was me and I was keeping a diary with the choice for someone to read it over 150 years into the future; I would let them read and publish it. Hopefully Jerome Titus felt the same. I think that it is important for historians to gain first hand knowledge and accounts of certain events. Without people going in and studying historical first hand views than almost everything from history will become more of an educated guess than actual fact. Also it keeps people alive and remembered. Again, if it was me who had a diary than I would want to be documented and not just left to fade away and be forgotten. Although it is a hard decision we need to make the choice that will better benefit people.
I think we have the right to study his diary. The only argument against us reading his diary is that we are invading his personal thoughts. However, he is already dead. Why should we let something that valuable and knowledgeble go to waste for a dead person's supposed feelings. We are students and should be able to get as many sources as we can to learn. I do however believe that the studying should be done respectfully. But I would wonder if he would have a problem with it. I do not think he would have a problem with it.
I think we do have the right to study and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus because it's a way to learn important things about history. Although, doing so is kind of wrong because he probably didnt want a bunch of middle schoolers reading his diary when he wrote it! I think that we should read and transcribe it though in order to learn more about the past. Most history books are based on journals so I think it is a key thing to learning. Also, Jerome Titus is dead and it wouldnt necessarily matter if we read and published it without his permission. Anne Frank kept a diary during the Holocaust and that is a good example of using diaries/journals to learn about history and not make the same mistakes. I am sure that if Jerome Titus knew that his diary would come in use one day, he would let us use his diary. Plus, the diary is no longer Jerome Titus' because the library purchased it. After that purchase, they can do anything they want with it.
COlin reilly
yes we do have the right to study his jurnal because this could help us discover some of the secrets of history. This even might help us discover something about jerome titus.i think he would want us to read this and find out more about his time period. I also think that maby there is some sort of time limit that he has until somebody can read it because it has been 150 years since he has wrote it. i also think that we should not be alowed to read it becase it is his personal jurnal and he should have the right to keep it a secret.
No I think we do not have the right to read his diary. There is only 1 way in which we would get the right to read to read a diary. That is only if we permission to read it. It is his fellings. What if he wrote something that he wanted no one to read. The only other reason to read a diary that I can think is if it unlocks a mystery. Hypothetily 9/11. When we do it in class I almost feel guilty read this diary.
Yes,we have the right to study and publicize the diary of Jerome Titus. If a person puts their thoughts and ideas on paper,they must assume that it could become available to the public. It is the same with the internet today. If you write something,you have to understand that anyone else might have access to it. If you don't want it analyzed,keep it to yourself, don't put it in writing.
by the way i am sick today
I believe we do have the right to study and transcribe the diary of jerome titus. if no one had been able to ever transcribe and read peoples diaries, how would anyone now about what has happened during the last 200 years. when we read someone personal notes that lived a long time ago we learn what was happening in the world at that time. what if there was a big war we didn't even now about and someone found an old diary of a man that was in it. every thing in the past that we know about is mostly from old diaries that people have found. if someone writes a diary now and the Government pass a new law on privacy, then people in the future would not know how we lived in the 21st century.
I believe that we don’t have the right to read and publicize Jerome Titus’s diary. He probably never gave permission for others to look through it and certainly not for people 150 years in the future. If he had wanted others to read the diary then he would have published it himself. Even though he’s dead, it doesn’t mean that people can just look through his private belongings. I know that I wouldn’t want people criticize my handwriting after I die. True, his diary may contain a wealth of information about the civil war, but that doesn’t mean it can be publicly read. One could gather just as much information from public sources of that time such as newspapers and books. Diaries become interesting artifacts, but they contain ones emotions and private thoughts, so shouldn’t be scrutinized by the public. Diaries are usually made to be private and if we can’t be sure someone won’t read ours 150 years in the future then what can we do?
Yes i do think that we have a right to study his diary. Although at first i thought "maybe he wanted this to be private" but regardless what he wanted or not hes dead. And there are some useful historical view points in his diary witch mine as well be used and studied instead of thrown away and forgotten. In a way he might be happy that his diary helped the world a little bit.
Yes, we do have the right to look at JEROME Titus diary. Because we want to know what happened in the past. I think it is a good thing to read it because we learn more about the diary. I think when we read the diary we can see what happened in the war.
I believe we have the right to transcribe this diary. Through transcribing it, there were no private passages that he would might not want to share. If he truly did not want this seen, then he should have disposed of so it is impossible to access. Since, it is it decent condition and there is nothing private, then he must not have wanted to keep it secret. Usually diaries from back then are hard to find, but this one wasn't too difficult to find. We may not have the right to publicize it, but I believe we have the right to transcribe it. If we respect this right to privacy of ones diary, then it could mean an important part of history never discovered. Who knows, it might be an important historical find. This blog was posted by Richie Wilhelm.
i beleive that we do have the right to transcribe this journal. it is part of history and i feel that people shoud hear bout wat happend during the civil war. it is not like this is offensive. but in a way it is still invasion of privacy. most people probly would not be all that happy if someone went thru their journals. like if your parents went thru your journal and spying on you. but this is kinda different, because this is prt of histry.
I say yes and no. We do have a right, because this is how we get all of our historical information and without us not being able to transcribe these diaries we would only have a brief outline of our american history. The diaries that people transcribe is part of the reason why we have so much detail in our history. A reason that we don't have a right to do so is, because it's an invasion of privacy. The people we read about wrote down things for themselves and only themselves. So this, in a way, destroys the meaning of privacy.
i think its good taht we are but as long as he said that it was alright. even if he said that he didnt want anyone looknig at it we still probbaly would. because he deid 150 years ago, but i would think that if he said it was cool for us to look at it then its cool. but it still wouldnt really matter we would still look at it i think.
i agree with ryan mcqueen that we do not have the right to read his diary. if i kept a diary i know i would not want anyone to read it with out permission. it is an invasion of his privacy because its his personal thoughts and feelings that he did not want published. also since we can be sure that he wanted us to read his diary, than we should just stay out insted of just allowing our selfs. its like barging into a persons home just because there not there.
Billy Cicio
yes i think we should be able to read his diary. I think he is dead now and dosnt care if we looked through his diary. He will have more people know his name. It is better then 150 years in the future no one knowing you even exsisted. plus it has great historical value and we can learn alot from it. we can learn how the soldiers thought and felt about the war. we can even learn somethings about the war that no one elese knows. so that is why i feel we should be able to read his diary.
Sam Miller
No, I don’t think we have the right to invade someone’s privacy like that. Yes, it’s beneficial for history, but I know I wouldn’t like it if someone read my diary (if I had one). Jerome Titus probably had no idea someone would be reading his diary in the future. He could have written personal stuff in there. But, it could help us make discoveries. I’m not really sure if we should read it or not, actually. That’s a tough decision to make. I can’t really decide if he would be happy for us to be learning about history or just bothered by the fact that we’re invading his privacy. Maybe he’d be a little bit of both.
Post a Comment