Population Changes
The 2010 Census is starting soon and the population data that is collected is crucial in many ways for our society, culture, and government. Census data affects school systems, road construction, and housing.
Population change can tell us a lot about our country. Use the following resources to examine population change in the USA. What do you see? What information strikes you as interesting? What do you think it says about our country and its different regions? Why do you think population is increasing in some places and decreasing in others?
This is a new tool from Google to make your own population graph. Try lots of states. Some interesting states to compare are: Arizona, Michigan, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, and Louisiana. Remember, if you click on the total US population or on a state with large population, it will make it hard to see changes in smaller states. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&idim=state:01000:04000:22000:09000:25000:26000
This is a cool map from USA Today showing different types of population change by county: http://www.usatoday.com/news/graphics/census_0307/flash.htmSpend some time. Play with each source and find your insight!
Eight formally written sentences needed for full credit. You must also use data (numbers or information) from the charts or maps. Please remember to write your name.
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
77 comments:
It doesent suprise me that there arent a lot of people dont live in connecticut. Cmon there isnt a lot of things to do in CT. Ok theres lake compounds and like some old farms. They shouldnt be complaining about there being sukish population if there is nothing to do in Connecticut so maybee put in som hippedy hop new attractions
I think that the population in Connecticut is bad because CT is boring. A lot of people are moving away beacause of this
I compared north dakota to south dakota south dakota is going up and north dakota is going down and im confused because why is praticlly the same state loosing people and why is one gaining people? Are people moveing to south america?
It seems that there has been almost no change in CT. I can't really say there is a lot to do here except in the summer its pretty nice. Most people don't really like the cold weather and prefer Florida over Ct. I have to say that i agree. Also states near the borders of america have gone up because of illegal immigrants. Places such as Texas and California have been affected by illegal immigration. However the U.S. population has rose so I guess a lot more people are moving into our country. I also kinda agree with jared
Connecticut surprised me in this chart. It surprised me because the population in Connecticut has stayed the same at about three million people for the last thirty years. I think that is pretty interesting because there are many nice things in Connecticut. Connecticut is on the coast and people vacation in places like the long island sound a lot. One other thing that struck me is that the population in Arizona has risen. In 1980 the population in Arizona was around 2.7 million people, and in 2009 the population was at about 6.6 million people. That’s a pretty significant growth for Arizona. I can see why people like Arizona it is warm and has many scenic views. This is what I thought about the past censuses.
I am stricken by how the population is increasing. It's very interesting how the population changes. I see a graph of the the population rocketing. There are many reasons population is increasing. One is that as children are born they have more babies, and then their kids have babies, and so on. I think that population is bad. The more people the more resources are needed. Which eliminates more for us.
I am stricken by how the population is increasing. It's very interesting how the population changes. I see a graph of the the population rocketing. There are many reasons population is increasing. One is that as children are born they have more babies, and then their kids have babies, and so on. I think that population is bad. The more people the more resources are needed. Which eliminates more for us.
scott said...
It doesent suprise me that there arent a lot of people dont live in connecticut. Cmon there isnt a lot of things to do in CT. Ok theres lake compounds and like some old farms. They shouldnt be complaining about there being sukish population if there is nothing to do in Connecticut so maybee put in som hippedy hop new attractions
March 8, 2010 2:50 PM
Comment deleted
This post has been removed by the author.
March 8, 2010 2:51 PM
Comment deleted
This post has been removed by the author.
March 8, 2010 2:51 PM
JacK C said...
I think that the population in Connecticut is bad because CT is boring. A lot of people are moving away beacause of this
March 8, 2010 2:57 PM
jaredp.said... said...
I compared north dakota to south dakota south dakota is going up and north dakota is going down and im confused because why is praticlly the same state loosing people and why is one gaining people? Are people moveing to south america?
March 8, 2010 3:40 PM
Jordan Walker said...
It seems that there has been almost no change in CT. I can't really say there is a lot to do here except in the summer its pretty nice. Most people don't really like the cold weather and prefer Florida over Ct. I have to say that i agree. Also states near the borders of america have gone up because of illegal immigrants. Places such as Texas and California have been affected by illegal immigration. However the U.S. population has rose so I guess a lot more people are moving into our country. I also kinda agree with jared
March 8, 2010 4:32 PM
Chase D said...
Connecticut surprised me in this chart. It surprised me because the population in Connecticut has stayed the same at about three million people for the last thirty years. I think that is pretty interesting because there are many nice things in Connecticut. Connecticut is on the coast and people vacation in places like the long island sound a lot. One other thing that struck me is that the population in Arizona has risen. In 1980 the population in Arizona was around 2.7 million people, and in 2009 the population was at about 6.6 million people. That’s a pretty significant growth for Arizona. I can see why people like Arizona it is warm and has many scenic views. This is what I thought about the past censuses.
March 8, 2010 6:55 PM
RJ H. said...
I am stricken by how the population is increasing. It's very interesting how the population changes. I see a graph of the the population rocketing. There are many reasons population is increasing. One is that as children are born they have more babies, and then their kids have babies, and so on. I think that population is bad. The more people the more resources are needed. Which eliminates more for us.
I think population is growing in some areas because of freedom, religion, and work. Many places such as the United States of America is a free country, but as all countries it has laws. In 1980 the population in Arizona was about 3 million people, and in 2009 the population has changed to about 7 million people. It just shows how in some areas it can make a huge difference when it comes to population because of the terrain, work, and freedom.
I think that the graph shows that our population is mostly going up. I mostly saw that the population going up more than it did than going down. i think the reason for this is that there are more people coming into our country from diffrent states and also famlies are growing faster.
I think that the graph shows that our population is mostly going up. I mostly saw that the population going up more than it did than going down. i think the reason for this is that there are more people coming into our country from diffrent states and also famlies are growing faster.
Connecticut has nothing in it. Even though people still come to Connecticut for some reason. The population has been increasing and still is. What i don't get is that why do people still come here if there is nothing exciting about the state.
I'm not surprised by little states having not as big of a population. But California is in the middle and it had over 35 million people living there!! That was the most shocking out of all of them; to me. It didn't surprise me when Texas had a lot of people becuase it's pretty big. On the other map, it surprised me that we haven't had a growth over 25%, only in some parts did we have 5-25% of growth. It didn't surprise me that Alaska had a loss of more than 5%, but right in the middle of the US a lot of states have had people leave too. To me this country is weird and complicated, to hard to follow, but it's interesting to see the chanages being made throughout the world. This was a very interesting blog to actually see what is going on in the world around us. I'd like to see what happens in another two to three years, and to see the changes being made again. See how many people live where you'd least expect it.
From the data in the map and the chart, I can see that population varies inall the different regions of The US. States like California and Florida’s population have grown around 25%. Then there are place like Connecticut which generally keep the population steady. Lastly, there are places like New York who have last population of up to 5%. The information that strikes me as intersesting is that many states can keep there population at a steady and moderate level. For example, since 1980, Connecticut has kept its population at around 3 million…for 30 years! That’s very hard to come by in some states like Florida that seem to grow in population rapidly. I think that all of this information says that our country has many different types of regions, and different people who feel comfortable in thise different regions. You have people who like the desert (Nevada), the ocean (California/Florida), the country (Connecticut), and people who like states with big cities (New York City, New York; Chicago, Illinois). These are only a few of the different regions that the US has to offer the different people. I that population is increasing and decreasing in certain places in because of the economy. Some people can’t afford expensive place. They could be moving to places that have better taxes, etc. I think that the population and Census says a lot about our country and its people, and how much it can vary.
Connecticut is a very boring state. If I could have everyone I like to move to flordia with me that you be awesome. I thing connecticut is boring because theres litterary nothing to do. During the summer you cant even go to a theme park you have to drive all the way to massachusetts to go to six flags. Nuff said.
Connecticut is a very boring state. If I could have everyone I like to move to flordia with me that you be awesome. I thing connecticut is boring because theres litterary nothing to do. During the summer you cant even go to a theme park you have to drive all the way to massachusetts to go to six flags. Nuff said.
I think the reason that the connecicut census is bad compared to that of michigans is because connecticut has a stereotype of being a rich, classy, and redneck,society. this turns people off towards CT because people dont think this to be an attractive reputation. This can also affect over time the amount of money our state has because how can we fund things if there aren't a lot of people paying taxes and why would we fund things if there aren't people that are going to use the things we are funding.
Nuff Salamander
I think the reason that the connecicut census is bad compared to that of michigans is because connecticut has a stereotype of being a rich, classy, and redneck,society. this turns people off towards CT because people dont think this to be an attractive reputation. This can also affect over time the amount of money our state has because how can we fund things if there aren't a lot of people paying taxes and why would we fund things if there aren't people that are going to use the things we are funding.
Nuff Salamander
Its not suprising the population in Ct is increasing. I say this because Ct is a beautiful sight to see as everybody knows, Its lakes, ponds and rivers are very beautiful and full of life. To me I think its one of the seven wonders of the world just for its beuty. Its like living in a vacation home for life! All of the ponds , lakes, and rivers are outstanding for fisherman fanatics. So in my opinion its old news.
Its not suprising the population in Ct is increasing. I say this because Ct is a beautiful sight to see as everybody knows, Its lakes, ponds and rivers are very beautiful and full of life. To me I think its one of the seven wonders of the world just for its beuty. Its like living in a vacation home for life! All of the ponds , lakes, and rivers are outstanding for fisherman fanatics. So in my opinion its old news.
Its not suprising the population in Ct is increasing. I say this because Ct is a beautiful sight to see as everybody knows, Its lakes, ponds and rivers are very beautiful and full of life. To me I think its one of the seven wonders of the world just for its beuty. Its like living in a vacation home for life! All of the ponds , lakes, and rivers are outstanding for fisherman fanatics. So in my opinion its old news.
Looking at the map and the data for population growth. many states had few increases. I compared data from Connecticut,Texas, New mexico, and Arizona. Arizona and Texas had large increases Arizona's growth went from 3 million to 6.5 million. Texas 14.3 million to 25 million. Connecticut's increase was only around 400,00. New Mexico went from 1.3 million to 2 million. I think Texas had so much growth because it is close to the boarder for immigrants who made the move to the States. I'm not surprised at Connecticut's growth it did go up but not as much as a lot of other states. Taxes are high and there is really not much here for Families with children. Most people want to live in a place. that is warm. So many southern states have higher increases in growth. I thought the census was interesting If some one was thinking of moving to a different state and was wondering about the population and interest of the state all they have to do is check out the census. I agree with Jordan That states near the boarder have gone up because of illegal Immigrants.
After I looked at the population changes in different states from 1980 to 2009, a lot of the states surprised me. It surprised me that Connecticut's population has not changed much. Although in this part of connecticut there is not much to do, connecticut has a coast and so you'd think more people would move here. I was not surprised Texas and California have very high populations. Both are large states. I think that some places, like California, are increasing because many people like the weather and there are many jobs for people there. I think places are decreasing because maybe there aren't as many jobs for people in some states. That is what I think of the population changes in the USA.
There are many differences in population from some states compared to others. In the past couple of years, there has been more growth in population than ever before, especially in the bigger states. For example, in California, year of 1996, the population was 32,018,834 million people living there. The population has became so large that is was recorded in 2009 that there were 36,961,664 million people living there. I think the population increased because the United States of America is a free country and Barack Obama allows people to come from other places of the world and live in the U.S. Also states that are large like Texas and California have big populations because they have nice weather, good land, and job openings. On the other hand, states like Connecticut have very little population for many reasons. Some of those reasons are because there is hardly anything to do out here, bad weather, and very little job openings. Usually people just get a weekend or summer house in Connecticut so they don't have to live here with all the bad conditions.
From these reading in google i see that our conneticut population is growing slowly even though the website is out of date.and i say that in a couple of years we should reach about four million people.wich is pretty small from the united states population of three hundred and seven million.i see that even though we are small as a state but we are large as a population
Connecticut is at a constant rate, it's not a surprise that there are almost no people coming here. We haven't had a growth over 25%; only in some parts did we have 5-25% of growth. Some reasons that our population is low, is because we have bad weather conditions, there is nothing to do, there are not much jobs to get because of the bad economy. I have noticed that a lot of people get summer homes to faraway places to stay away from the boring country side. I support their decision to do that. I can see why California had a grand population of 36,961,666; I mean there are many things to do there, its California! You can relax at the beach, tan with the nice weather, and walk everywhere. Here in Connecticut we have to drive to many places which are just wasting our gas but in California you don’t waste it as much. That’s what I think about the population changes in the US.
I think that the population of Connecticut is growing but not fast. It is slowly increasing by 5%.I think that Connecticut was and still is a small state and has slow growing population. this is what i think about are population in Connectiticut.
I think that the population of Connecticut is growing but not fast. It is slowly increasing by 5%.I think that Connecticut was and still is a small state and has slow growing population. this is what i think about are population in Connectiticut.
I think that the population of Connecticut is growing but not fast. It is slowly increasing by 5%.I think that Connecticut was and still is a small state and has slow growing population. this is what i think about are population in Connectiticut.
i think it is wierd that S. Dakota is geting more people and N Dakota .is geting less people. thay are the same thing. they are not vary diffrent.
I found this chart very interesting, but also kind of upsetting. The reason I'm kind of upset is because the worlds population is growing way too fast. I know when some people hear me say this they're going to say that I should move to China. Honestly though within the next 50 to 80 years The United States as well as other countries will have to put some kind of restraint on the number of children born. We are already moving into the oceans.
More people are losing their jobs everyday becuase of the bad economy. Our population is low, no more people are coming here, it's not surprising. Conneticuts growth has not been higher than 25%. In some places, though, the growth was from 5% to 25%. The changes in growth of some places were suprising even Connecticut.The population of places like Michigan, Arizona, Massachusetts, Alabama, Louisiana, and Connecticut were showed in a map of their population from the late 1900's to the early 2000's. Connecticuts population did not change at all. That suprised me a little because I at least thought it would change a bit.
I think that Connecticut has not had a lot of population change for a while for many reasons. One is that the people that live here like so they dont want to leave. But no one new really moves here. People dont move here because there is nothing exciting around here. No one wants to move to a buring place. But the people that do live here like it so we stay. I think that Florida 's population is growing. I think this because all the old people are moving there because they dont like the snow.
With towns like Bridgewater, Roxbury, and Washington, don't have any people lately. If you look at the kids in the elementary schools of Region 12, classes aren't large. In the 4th grade class in Bridgewater, there are 11 students total. The first grade class of Warren Elementary School has ONLY three girls. From 1982 to 2009, the population of Connecticut has stayed around the same number. If you look at the actual numbers, they don't go up that much throughout the years. Especially compared to Michigan, the population of Connecticut is low, even though the number is over 3 million people. In July 2009, Michigan has just about 10 million people, while Connecticut only has just over 3.5 million. In 1980, Arizona has less people in their population, but by 2009, it's up to over 6.5 million. Arizona had a less population than Connecticut in 1980, but then as the years past, the population of Arizona increased. Connecticut is a small state, but Rhodi Island is A LOT smaller. In July 2009, Connecticut had just over 3.5 million people, while Rhode Island had just over 1 million. In comparison to those numbers it's a lot but if you compare those two numbers in 2009 to Texas, the numbers seem small. In July 2009, Texas had about 24.7 million people. Connecticut just doesn't have a big population.
When you look at the population graph conecticut stayed pretty much the same over the years. Other states like Texas has significant growth ovwe the years that may be due from more jobs, warm temperatures, surronding storms. Connecticut is more expansive to live then other states to. There might be less people to because it is a lot smaller then other states.There are many differnt population changes in the United States.
I think that the population of the U.S. shows that this country is very diverse in terrain. One the U.S.A Today web page the states of Oklahoma to South Dakota keep losing population because most of toughs areas that haven’t change much from the dust bowl and unusable. The biggest gainer of population is Arizona, because one; it has one of seven naturals of the world, The Grand Canyon, and two not only is it a state that is desert, but it also has: grasses, mild temperatures, and it looks like half Mexico and half Connecticut.
I agree with Jack, there are less people in Connecticut, because, it's just simply boring! States with higher poulations such as California, and Florida, and even New York have more people, because those states have more things to do. Florida and California have attractions such as the ocean, with surfing and other sports, and the warm weather. New York has the big city, that everyone wants to see, and there's lots of things to do. But Connecticut has towns like Washington, where there's nothing to do. At all. Ever. It's such a small town, that there are less people, therefore less locations containing entertainment. It may be fine for adults, but for kids our age, everything is pretty boring. we have to go into the next town over just to go to the movies, or the mall and things like that. Maybe if CT was more exciting, more poeple would live here.
I think that the population in connecticut has not changed ove rhte yars because not mutch really happins here. and theres not a big over population in ct. because nothing really happins here like alot of the other people said. but i think that in the future the population will change in ct because in every other state it is changing so im sure that it will change here.
I think that population change is a good and bad thing. i think that it is a good thing because if population changes higher like in the graphs we could have alot more poeple fighting at war. And then we wont loose as many soldiers. Also I agree with what R.J said bacause if there our kids are having kids and there kids are having kids then if will leave us with less natural recourses that we really really need.
I think CT is losing its population because it simply isn't entertaining. it's like a forest out here. that's the reason States with huge citys like New York have a population that's huge. CT has a population that doesn't even compare to most states with city's like Time Square or Los Angeles.
i would have to agree with jordan when he aid that connecticut has not changed. Many people like myself do not like the cold weather in the winter and would prefer a warmer winter. Another reason why connecitcut is popular is becuase to be honest there is not a lot to do here. There is not like a huge theme park there are some but not many. There is a lot of farms and people really don't like a lot unless you live in a big city and need a btreak from the city. Another reason and a huge reason is probily becuase ct is a small state. and therfore many people don't like the small towns. Bu some people do.
These graphs and maps show that population patterns in our country change over time and for lots of different reasons. I guess what strikes me as most interesting is how much the population is growing in some states like California and states in the sunbelt and how in some states, like Connecticut, Hawaii and states in the mid-west and New England, the population hasn’t changed much at all. When I look at the graphs and the population maps and listened to the audio clip, I noticed that the states that border Mexico, like California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico show a strong pattern of migration. This could be because of people crossing the border from Mexico. It also could mean that many people are moving to those places in their retirement to enjoy the warm weather. This could also be true of states like Florida and Nevada. On the audio clip, William Frey also pointed out that many jobs are moving from the north and mid-west of the country to the south to places like Atlanta, Georgia which is growing very quickly. Louisiana had a big population decrease because of Hurricane Katrina and a lot of those people did not move back.
I can see from the USA Today map that many counties throughout the Midwest. These states include Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and both North and South Dakota. I don't really understand why these regions especially are having such drastic population drops. Perhaps these are mainly farming areas and industrial areas, which results in job loss. On the other hand most eastern states along the Atlantic have been having, in almost every county, population growth. Some counties are having a greater increase than others, like Florida, Maryland, and Delaware. Also it seems that almost all counties on the western seaboard have increased greatly like Washington and California. Perhaps this could be because there are more jobs in the Urban areas along the coastline. Many states population stayed pretty much the same according to the data from Google. There were a few states that decreased in population like New Jersey and the District of Columbia. Maybe there are less jobs in this tough economic times. A few states drastically increased in population like California Illinois and Florida. These three states are three of the most urban, industrialized states, so maybe people are migrating to these places for jobs. Overall I think most of the population increasing and decreasing is due to the harsh economy, and people looking for jobs.
When I looked at the map, I was surprised at some of hte states population increases and decreases. I was surprised about how much blue was on the population changes map. I wasnt expecting so many places to be losing people. Like in the middle of the country, there were alot of decreased amounts of people. Especially in Nebraska and Kansas. I was also surprised to see that New York has lost 5% of people in many places in New York. One thing that I am not really surprised about is how many people are moving to Hawaii. All of Hawaii is colored in light pink which means that the population has grown 6% to 25%. Hawaii is a very big vacation spot, I am not very surprised that alot of people want to move there. I think that the maps show that many places are more popular than others. For example,states like Califronia and Arizona both have pink and red in them and hardly any blue. This shows that alot of people are moving to the southwestern part of the country.Then there are states like Kansas and nebraska where there are alot of blue spots and hardly any pink or red.This shows that people dont want to live ion the midwetern states anymore. These maps helped me understand where people are living in the United States.
Ia gree with all the other comments; Connecticut can be very boring. The other states like California and Florida like Dylan F said have a larger popultaion because they are very industralized states.The economy is very difficult right now and people are moving to places where they can find work and be able to support their families. Like Hannah R said that in Connecticut we haven't had a growth over 25%, only in some parts did we have 5-25% of growth. This could be due to the fact that things here are expensive. Another reason why people are leaving Connecticut is because we have bad weather conditions. Who wants to live in a state where in the winter the roads freeze and the summers are humid? Not a lot of people and that's why so many are leaving Connecticut to go to states like California, Arizona, Texas and Florida; all of which have amazing weather. The information that strikes me as intersesting is that many states can keep there population at a steady and constant level. I'd like to see what happens in another two to three years, to see what happens and how the populations change or stay the same. This shows how much our country has changed; our country has a lot of difficult things that it is dealing with as a whole. From the illegal immagrants to the rate of how many people in America are unemployed. This was an interesting blog to really see how much our country's population has changed due to the things around us today.
When I looked at the Census data from 1980 to 2009 I noticed that some of the states population changed drastically like Arizona’s did. It went up from 2,716,546 people in 1980 to 6,595,778 in 2009. What surprised me in the data though was that Connecticut’s population has stayed about the same from 1980 all the way up to 2009! This shows where more people are interested in living and what places now are attracting people. Also, because of how bad the economy is right now, it could be showing where home prices are more affordable than other places. If this is true you can tell that home prices are more expensive in CT than in Arizona because the population changes the most there. The population might also be dropping in some places because people just don’t like it there anymore for some reason or it could be because they can’t afford it there after being laid off or something like that. But the overall population in the U.S has increased at an average pace.
I was very surprised that in the graph from USATODAY.com that Connecticut’s population has not changed much at all. Although, places like Bridgewater, Roxbury, and Washington have not really changed, cities like Hartford and New Haven seem to have a lot of people. Also, places like Ridgefield have had lots of houses built, which made me think that more people were living there. When my parents went to school there, there was only one middle school and now there are two. I was also surprised that in many places in Texas, the population decreased more than 5%. I was not really surprised that the population decreased in Alaska because it is so cold there! Did you know there is the same amount of people in California as there is in Canada? I also noticed that in the state of Florida, over 75% of the state population has increased over 6%! I believe this is due to the fact that there are lots of fun attractions down there such as Walt Disney and Sea World. I also think it increased in population because it is very warm and sunny. The average temperature is 78 degrees!
I noticed that the country was very different in population changes. I was surprised at how much blue there was in the middle of the country. There was alot of loss up to 5% or more than 5%. I wasn't surprised about the population of the smaller states like Connecticut and Massachussetts. It was mainly white meaning that there was a growth of up to 5% and only in some parts there was a grwoth up to 25%, no more than that. I wouldn't expect it to have a growth of 25% like California where alot of people already live and more jobs are available so more people want to go there to start new lives. Although, there really wasn't much growth of 25% throughout the country. I think that the population is decreasing in some states because of the economy. People don't want to stay in states where finding a job is hard and life in general is more expensive. They probably want to go to places where earning money is easier.
When I think of the United Stats population i think that there are alot of people in the east and less in the west but what really surprised was that it looks like that there is beinging more growth in the west than in the east. I would of thought that there is being a great increase in conneticuts population but there isnt that much of a gorwth
Looking at the USA Today map, I wasn’t surprised by the fact that the Eastern areas of CT have more population growth than the puny little Litchfield County. The Tolland and Windham counties have biggest cities. Litchfield County has smaller towns, such as our well-known Bridgewater, Roxbury, and Washington. I also discovered, being the observant person that I am, that CT has received 17,036 people since July of 2008.
I noticed that Connecticut is twenty-ninth smallest state population-wise. California is the biggest, and Wyoming is the smallest. I think that this has to do with the positioning of the state and its terrain. For example, CT is near the coast and small, yet it has a decent population. Wyoming is a lot bigger the CT, but it has almost 2,995,458 less people. Plus, it is landlocked, making it hard for people to live there. Just a fun fact: three out of our eight counties have populations bigger than Wyoming!
Yeah, enough about how puny Wyoming is. Another reason why people would avoid a state is because of its weather, as Mike L. said. Farm land can be scarce, and who wants to live in constant 90 heat, anyway? This is yet another reason why Wyoming (yes, Wyoming) has a low population.
Just to obsess about Wyoming even more, the smallest county has about 2,428 people. Bridgewater ALONE has 1,824, only 604 less. =)
When I looked at the Census I noticed that in Michigan in 1993 the population was 9,540,114 in the year of 1993. I then looked at the population in the year of, 2005 and it was at 10,093,226. Looking ahead one more time in the year of 2009 it went down to 9,969,727. It went up within 12 years and then back down within 4 years. This struck me as interesting because for a population to go down in four years by the amount of 123,499 is a big deal. It's also a big deal because the state of Michigan isn't one of the larger states. I think this says that our country has its ups and downs. I think it also means that people like to move around and try new things, that they like to be more diverse. One more thing it says is that maybe Michigan is a more expensive place to live and some people can't afford it. I also think that is why the population is going up and down in some areas. I also noticed that Connecticut has stayed pretty much the same with its population, and never actually going down! I wasn't too surprised by this because Connecticut is one of the few states with all four seasons. This probably attracts people and makes the population increase but not by too much because it's one of the smaller states.
According to the grapg, Connecticut hasn't really changed in population. We have a steady line. That really surprised me. I thought Connecticut was a good place; a place where a lot of people wanted to live. It seems like Arizona has increased in population a lot. This surprises me because I don't really hear a lot about Arizona. But it has a staedy line going up. MA seems to have a pretty straight line, but not as straight as CT. The population may be decreasing because of the economy. People are going to places where jobs are available. Here in CT, you don't see a lot of HELP WANTED signs pasted on windows of stores. But maybe you see a lot of those signs in Arizona.
I noticed that the population in CT stayed the same, which wasn’t too surprising. CT is one of the smaller, less well known states, and it’s much more expensive to live in the country rather than a city. On Google, I was really surprised with Florida’s population; it went up from 10 million to a little under 20 million. Many states, such as Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, and Hawaii all stayed the same, but the states haven’t changed too much either. On usatoday.com, I was really surprised all the blue in the Midwest. Probably because of the bad soil and weather, it doesn’t attract so many people. Just like Dana said, a state’s population can depend a lot on the weather, terrain and economy.
Just from looking at the map from the second link, it seems like there are only few designated areas in several states where population has increased more than 25%. Although the entire mid-west section of America has decreased in population over 5%. I think this is because people might be finding jobs in other cities. Perhaps the people in the mid-west were struggling financially and decided to move where they would be employed and be able to make a better living. I noticed from the graph that Texas and Florida have been constantly increasing in population for the past two decades or so. Meanwhile, the numbers for Michigan in 1985 were 9,076,287 and 10,093,266 in 2005. Connecticut had a population of 3,201,131 in 1985 and 3,478,714 in 2005. These haven't greatly increased or decreased. I think this is because there are parts of the United States (like Texas or Florida) that have attracted more people, for various reasons. Then there are parts of the U.S. that haven't increased in population at all like Connecticut and Michigan. There's not much to do in Conncecticut, and jobs are scarce. I think the economy has one great effect on the population rates of the past years.
Well, first off I would like to say that population is unpredictable and the information that I just saw proves this. I took a look at the population chart and was shocked to see just how much the population grows in our country. It seems like overnight there are millions of people who weren’t accounted for the day before. I thought it was very interesting to see how nature has an effect on our population. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana and after that the population had a decreasing spike. The total population went down by about 300,000 people! I thought quite an important piece of information because we can see the direct affects nature has on us. It seemed as some states like Arizona, California, Texas, Florida, and Georgia went up by a large number. While states like Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Hawaii barely went up at all. Then there were places like D.C. that decreased its population. I can’t exactly say why population increases or decreases…..but I can tell you it does. There are probably a million reasons like job duties, better schooling, or even interests. Some people might relocation because they love Broadway others because their company is moving them to a new firm. No one will even know exactly why the population increases or decreases because you would have to crack the code to the human mind. When I looked that the graph I thought just the view of it was cool; almost as if our country was moving to form a beautiful stain glass window. Like we are moving almost to create something bigger and better; we are almost increasing our population to paint a pretty picture…if that makes sense. Our country is forever changing, forever growing, and forever shrinking all for the same reason…change.
I looked at data between the time period of 1980 to 2009. The different states varied in population. Some states like California who has a very high population and is still growing at a huge rate. Then you have a state like New York wh has a very high popultion too yet it hasnt change much over the years. Florida is just about even with New York population beacuse it has risen so quickly in such a short period of time. This data shows that people are moving where there is a lot of activity going on. They go to places where there are things that they have never seen before such as the Empire State Building or Disney and. Nobody wants to go to little Litchfeild County. Then there are places that are not really decreasing but there not increasing either. This is partly because no new places or attractions or being built. People go where they are either going to have sucess or to have fun and the little places dont give you any of that. Finally if you look at our country population wise we have just about equal population in each state; but then there are states that are outliers and you know that they have a big population because there are things to do there.
Population growth isnt realy that interestng to me, but I thought it was interesting to look at the charts to see how its been going each year. I only looked at a couple on the chart but most of the ones I looked at didn't go up very much. The one that I looked at that went up the most was Texas. It was up in the tweenty four millions which i think was crazy but when you think about how big the state is and all the land it doesn't seem like such a big deal. The reasons for such a large population is becauose all of the land and the nice weather there. This could evect Texas because there might not be enough jobs for every body right now or situations like that. I think that the population in America is raising but satying close to the same because of the cold weather in the winter and other reasons that I dont know about. I think that population change can cause things like over paulation. I heard that in Japan They have to use population controle to keep the population down. I think that that is a very serious thing to do but they are very over crowded.In my opinion population growth can cause many large problems, but can also cause none. I also think that it is a good idea that there is a census happening because knowing our population as Americ is a good thing to thing to know
After reading the population map I was really surprised. I did a comparison of Connecticut to California. In 2008, California had a huge population of about 35 million people and Connecticut had about 2 million. Connecticut's population has stayed almost exactly the same since 1980 while California's has steadily increased. I am very interested in seeing what the population change will be in California according to the upcoming census. I'm sure the population will have gone down because of the economy, but I could be wrong. In 2008 the most populated state was California and the second most populated state was New York. I think the gap of population will become closer after this census between New York and California because of the economy. I think that because the economy is better in New York, more job opportunities are opening up and more people will be moving to the east coast instead of the west coast. This is just a guess and I will be very interested to see what the upcoming census shows.
I was surprised at how much blue there was in the middle of the country. I wasn't really surprised about the population of Connecticut and other smaller states. It was mainly white. I wouldn't expect it to have a growth like California where alot of people already live. I think that the population is decreasing in some states because of the economy. People don't want to stay in states where finding a job is hard and you have to pay more. I know connecticut is pretty expensive were we live, thats probably why there is a low population.
Connecticut doesn't have a very large population because it's boring here. The weather here is pretty much always cold too. States like Florida, or California are better too compare because they are more industrialized. There were a few states that decreased in population, maybe there are less jobs in this tough economic times.
It doesn’t strike me to know that there isn’t much growth in population in Connecticut. We (and when I say we, I speak for our state as a whole) aren’t that big, in fact we are quite small. As other people have mentioned earlier, we don’t have much to do and let’s face it, we’re not as exciting like states such as the fabulous California or breathtaking Hawaii. That doesn’t mean that Connecticut doesn’t have anything to offer, it’s just not plastered on a bill board that this state can make a person’s life great.
When I looked at the map, I was surprised to see that the Midwest is covered in a lot of blue shades, which means that the population has decreased over 5 percent. I noticed that the northeast is a mixture of blue, white and red. I was a little surprised when I saw that a part of the north is covered in light blue, meaning that it’s lost up to five percent of the population. I noticed that the west was mostly covered in shades of red and pink, and there was some white in there. I also became aware that there wasn’t as much blue in the west as the other parts of the country. The Pacific coast does attract people, and most people know of the western states, maybe even more so then the smaller north eastern states.
Arizona’s population has increased quite a bit over the years while states like Massachusetts and Connecticut stay just about the same. Pennsylvania’s population has grown almost 1,000,000 from July 1980 to July 2009 (11,864, 720 in July of 1980 to 12,604,767 in July of 2009). The United States as a whole has an increased population over the past 20 years or so. Our population will continue to grow throughout the country while our population will continue to minimize in other areas. States will become popular, states will shrink. Some parts of states will lose many people, while the other areas may gain people. As Sarah W. mentioned, life will go on, population having its peaks and it’s low spots, but it’s all because of one factor… change.
I was surprised at the population map. Some states had not increased much at all such as Connecticut, although states like Arizona were increasing rapidly. States such as Wyoming had barely changed at all. I think that one reason Florida's population has increased so much is because many people retire there and move thaere for the nice weather. I also think that California's population has increased a lot is because of the nice weather, the cities and all of the celebrities who live thaere. I also think that states such as Vermont do not have a lot of people living there because it's cold there for some of the year anr people just don't want to deal with all the snow. Lastly I think that states with major cities in them have a higher population because of all the people that the cities can hold. They also draw a lot of attention to live there because of all the things that people can do in a large city such as New York. This says that for the most part, our country doesn't have huge areas that are not very populated and others are. Our country is pretty mixed when it comes to the population. I also noticed that the entire population of the US is increasinig and it may become a big problem in the future.
Well alot of people would think the east has a bigger population but i would disagree. there are many people living in the west and more coming.so its not surprising that the population is rising. Ct is small but aleast the population is growing slowley and not fast like other places.
ct has a normal population. the population is increasing slowley. in the east people think the peoulation is getiing bigger. really the population in the west is getting larger. i think that in the future the popualtion of places will effect people.
I was actually surprised by some of the information I found. Connecticut had a considerabley large population compared to other states. States like California and Texas did have a large population. Although some other states that are comparable in area had even a smaller population than Connecticut. The states Idaho and Hawaii had a smaller popualtion than Connecticut. Yes, those places might not seem as popular, but sometimes with the size of the state, it is assumed that more people live there than a tiny state like Connecticut. I also noticed that there was quite a bit of loss in population in the more middle of the US of even more than 5% population loss. I am surprised by this because there seemed to be a growth of >6% population in more areas near the coast. This makes me wonder why this might be. There are deffinatly many changes in the population in the US.
First of all, it surprised me that other students believe Connecticut to be boring, I think it's great. Being born in New York City, I guess the land around is a bigger deal to me than others. Besides that, the graph that I saw surprised me in some ways, and didn't in others. Connecticut having a low population as compared to other, bigger states didn't surprise me, the constant rate Connecticut's population stayed at surprised me. I was shocked to find out that since even before 1982 Connecticut had around that same population. This surprises me because you would think some kind of change would happen some time. It also occured to me that you don't have to fill out the census. That definatly factors in somewhere. If the same people don't fill out the census every ten years, that could partially explain the consistent population rate.
I think that Connecticut has a low population because it isn't a very exciting place. I agree with Kaycee that states like California and Florida are better to compare. There isn't a whole lot to see here in Connecticut. In California they have the redwoods, and the ausemity and the gold mining, etc. Here, we don't have any fun things to do really.
I looked at the Census and noticed that Connecticut had stayed pretty much steady for all the years charted. I didn't find this surprising because Connecticut is one of the few states that have all four seasons so it attracts people and not drags them away. In the year of 1987 it was 3,437,103. Then in the year of 2001 it was 53,036,302. This surprised me because went up more than 5 times than it was. I think this says that our counrty more diverse. It makes me think about it more closly. I like looking at the chart.
I am not all that surprised that connecticut doesn't have a big population. We dont really have any famous monuments as far as I know. It seems to tend to stay pretty cold and from what I have seen it usually means less people. What I did notice is that if you look were not at the bottom either. I was looking at the populations of other states in the US and we're a little less then the middle. Some states such as West Virginia, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Wyoming have quite a bit less than us. If you look you'll see that most of the popular states used to be pretty low. In my opinion it's just not our time to shine yet.
By looking at the maps,I think that some people want to move to warmer places and some want to move to cold. For examople Vermont,because some people would like a longer winter so they can ski longer. Some people aren't a fan of winter and want to move down to florida to have a shorter winter and warmer quicker.
When I looked at both the map and the graph, I noticed that the smaller states had less of a population change. I think this is because most big cities are in the larger states and more people are moving to the cities. Also, when I was looking at the map, I thought it was interesting that there was a group of states in the middle of the country whose populations decreased. In the states on either side, population usually increased. I would also like to say that Connecticut is the only state in New England that hasn’t had any decrease in population, so it can’t be that boring. It was also interesting to see how different events affected the population change. For example, in Louisiana, there was a dip in population in 2006, right after Hurricane Katrina. It was very interesting how the population had changed.
Like Clara, I noticed that states like Connecticut, Massachusetts, and DC had the least change. I found it interesting that Arizona and Massachusetts only have a difference of a few hundred thousand people. Another interesting thing was that over the past 20 or so years, Arizona's population went up by nearly 4 million people! The population in Florida is doing the same, going from 10 million in the 1980's up to almost 20 million in recent years. And this is despite all of the massive hurricanes that have been going on in the past few years. I found that New York hasn't grown much. That breaks the pattern of the large states having lots of movement and the smaller states staying the same. Texas' population has also been increasing, and does fit in with the pattern.
I think the reason more people are moving to the city and the population is so big, Because there is nothing to do in the area.
Why would eny body whant to move here it is so boring and nothing to do. And there is n ot to manny options for jobs.
I noticed that the northern states like Connecticut population's stay the same and warmer states went up or stayed the same. I also saw that probably because of immigration states on the boarder population's went up visibly. California, Texas, Florida and Arizona's populations were the ones most affected. Another reason people might go to florida is too retire not always to immigrate.
When i looked at the population growth in the U.S. on the Google page, i saw that in New York, Michigan, and Connecticut, their really hasnt been much growth. Not many people are moving to these states. The fact that New York hasnt been growing very much surprised me. In New York their's alot of job opportunitys especially around in the city. It also surprised me that Luisiana hasnt decreased tremendously. I would have thought that alot more people would have moved out of Luisianna because of Hurricane Katrina. Instead it has only deacreased a little bit and has been pretty much been kept steady. California on the other hand has been growing like crazy. It has had tremendous growth and continues to increase. I think what it says about our country is that more poeple want to be were their are more jobs and not in the middle of the country were its mostly urban land. I think the reason why the population in the middle of the country hasnt been growing much is because of the weather, location, family, and jobs. Most people want to live somewere were there's alot of job opportunities, beutiful weather, and not many natural disasters (like tornados). Because of this people have been moving closer to the coast. That is what i think about the population change. :)
Post a Comment