Sunday, January 3, 2010

Omnivores, Carnivores, Vegetarians, or Something New?

The question for this blog post is, should humans eat meat? Check out the sources below and write a response. In addition to the normal requirements for this assignment, in order to get full credit you must refer to two of the three sources below.

1) My brother gave me a piglet for Christmas. I intend to raise him and have him slaughtered. I've created a blog so that people can follow his story. Check out my first two posts at http://www.gerardthepig.blogspot.com/

2) An argument that vegetarianism and environmentalism go hand-in-hand: http://www.vegsoc.org/environment/index.html

3) A defense of eating meat, at least some kinds: http://experts.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/06/17/in_defense_of_meat

60 comments:

RJ H. said...

Yes, humans should definitely eat meat. One reason is that it makes you much stronger. I doubt that there's a single football player wrestler or fighter who doesn't. Also it's not like being a vegetarian stops the animals from being killed. No matter what they're going to be killed. If you are a vegetarian I understand you feel wrong eating another living thing but it's the cycleof life and that is just my opinion

Dylan F said...

The human animal was designed to eat meat. It fuels our cells, our brains, and it builds our muscle. We made tools to help us in the processing of meat, and we still get that urge to consume it. Meat tastes good. It provides essential nutrients and vitamins. Some of the common ancestors of humans and other primates seem to have evolved to eat meat, and it is a theory that this could have led to larger brains and longer lives (Which appeared on the "Science Channel"). The fact that we have evolved specialized jaws and teeth to be an omnivore (which takes a very very long time to do) it tells you that its in our nature to eat meat. If it wasn’t for meat, we wouldn't be here right now.

( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meat-eating-human-evolution/ this article offers helpful information.)

Mike Y. said...

Yes as RJ said, i think that even if you are a vegetarian, other people are still going to want meat, there is always going to be a demand for red meat. So if you have a lagitamite reason for being a vegitarian such as you dont like meat or think it will make you sick. But one person not eating meat isnt going to save any animals. Plus, it is a way to controll the population, animals rapidly reproduce so they have more babies then humans, infact for every one human born each year, there are ten cows!! so if all of these cows are born and no one eats them, what will we do with them? Also i dont belive in eating tofu and other non-meat sources of protien because it is simply a lot of chemicals that are worse for you than mean is creating protiens in your body. So my opinion is that people will always want meat, so we can all eat meat, but it can help if we eat less meat, not just none at all.

Nathan O. said...

Ok. This is a pretty big topic and first of all, I would like to say that I completely agree with RJ and Mike. Eating meat isn't a bad thing. I know that I couldn't go a day without consuming a juicy steak or tender pork chop. I'm a "meatatarian". Eating meat is, like RJ said, a "Cycle of life." Humans have been eating meat since the beginning of time. We need it for many supplements and it is good for you. On that vegetarian site, they said that cattle is bad for the enviornment, and I agree with that, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that you shouldn't eat beef, I mean just as Mike said, "...if all of those cows are born, and no one eats them, what will we do with them?" Well, we'll always need cows because they produce milk, and it is very high in calcium, which is really good for you. What's one person not eating meat going to do? Animals will always be slaughtered and that is how life should be. I respect vegetarians, but I think that it's just a bit ridiculous when they don't eat meat because of killing animals. Come on! Really? I can understand why someone doesn't like the taste of meat, or is allergic to it, because that makes sense. On that site that defended meat, the person said that the future will have meat eaters in it, and I think that he is right, whether it's synthetic, or natural. Some meats are good for preventing cancer and other diseases, but you have to eat them in moderation. To sum everything up, I think the planet should not stop eating meat because it's a natural way of life (the food chain), and it's an essential part of a diet.

P.S. To Claire: This is one thing that bugged me. In Korea, they DO NOT eat dogs anymore. They used to. 바보

Bryar G said...

Yes, I think humans should eat meat. One reason is that is is an essential protein needed to help you grow and live. Vegetarians need to understand that eating meat really isnt bad because meat has lots of proteins and even if we all stop killing animals for food they will keep dying anyway. Eating meat is not wrong and I think that we all should continue to eat it and for some start eating it, the cycle of life is to live and die and thats what happens to all living things so it wont be wrong to kill animals for food.

Eric D. said...

I think that people should not eat meat because the population is going to increase. Also we are not going to have enough meat if the number of animals to be killed is overpopulated. Right now we are eating twice as much meat as back then. This means that we are affecting the earth in a terrible way.

Even though I think that people should not eat meat, I do because I just like it.

Cameron C-I said...

First of all who ever said that our bodies have to eat meat to survive. I know your average American might not know this but for example Slippery Elm bark which is the inner white part of the bark from the Slippery Elm tree is full of starch which has a load of nutrients. In fact the Native Americans gave it to the Europeans when they were to the point of starvation. Believe it or not those beautiful dandelions that you see in the beginning of the spring eating some of those would keep you alive for a good while. Plus you have to consider all of the other thousands of edible plants. Now I do eat meat myself but if all the meat in the world was gone we could still all live our normal lives, also it would get rid of at least half of our obesity.

Justin M said...

I believe that humans should eat meat. I believe this because meat has a bunch of things ththat are good for u like protien and things like that. I am not against being a vegatarian because my mom was a very stricked vegetarian when she was young, but in my opinion I would rather eat meat than not. I also think that people should but don't have to if they don't want to. This is my opinion about the blog.

Tristan M. said...

I think that humans should eat meat. I think this because its a circle of life and humans have been eating meat for thousands of years. I bet all professional athletes eat meat, it gives you protein and fuels your body so you always have energy and can function. If you are a vegetarian you still are killing living things, have they ever though of that? Meats taste amazing, and im never going to stop eating it and niether is the human race.

Briana A said...

I think humans should eat meat. We need meat to work properly, to get protein and stay strong. I don’t ever want to slaughter and animal but I don’t think that not eating meat is a good thing. I understand why vegetarians don’t eat meat because I love animals too. Cows are one of my favorite animals, but I also love steak, hamburgers, and milk. I don’t think we should force people who don’t want to eat meat to eat it. People who do want to eat meat can keep eating it too. It’s not like we are just killing the animals for fun (which I find very wrong), we are using them for food and we need to stay healthy.

Hannah R. said...

I think that eating meat is good but us meat eaters don’t know what we’re doing to this planet. People who don’t eat meat aren’t getting enough nutrition and that’s why so many people who are vegetarians are so skinny. Meat eaters eat fish which give can prevent heart diseases and meat is good in most ways. So I am with eating meat because it’s good for you can help you survive. Also we don’t know how many animals are being killed, if you asked somebody they know what animal they’re eating but they don’t know how bad it is. So I think in the future or now we could cut back on how much meat we eat in our daily lives. So even though it might seem after you read that vegetarian post, that eating meat is bad; but I’m still with eating meat. It also gives you the fat that you need everyday so you’re not one of those anorexic people who do eat.

Shaelyn R said...

I don't know if humans should eat meat. Meat is kind of important for you. Prtoteins are necessary to have. I do like the idea that being vegetarian can lower your environmental impact and help ensure worldwide food security though. I would love to help the earth and all but, i couldn't. It would be too hard to stay away from meat for too long. I would also become unhealthy from not getting enough proteins. I love pigs and cows too, but i like bacon and beef as Briana said. So, i guess that some humans should eat meat and some shouldn't; that way people will get food they want and it will help the earth.

Anastazia O said...

I think that humans should definitely eat meat. It's got loads of things in it that are good for you. The artice defending meat stated that fish are full of an important vitamin that our bodies can't make themselves. In the vegetarian article it said that the production of the farms and factories to make the animal feed are causing deforestation, but maybe we don't have to eat as much meat as we do. I'm not saying that being a vegetarian is bad, my aunt, uncle, and two little cousins used to be vegitarians. But we would some times catch my aunt sneaking out to the Wendy's drive through for a hamburger. Now they have realized how much that they were missing while being a vegetarian. My cousins' doctors even told them that they should have meat because it was important for my cousins to have all of the important nutrients that meat offers while they were growing.

boomerang80 said...

I believe in eating meat. i think it is a great source of protein thatt fuels our body and minds like dylan said. But i do not agree with the way our animals are killed, and the way we treat them before they are killed, we abuse them and do not even care or notice that they are giving their life for our food. People treat animals horribly before they are killed if you have seen how slaughterhouses are run then you would understand that commercial slaughterhouses are animal torture chambers. Animals like cows bred for meat receive "medical treatment" by employees at the slaughterhouses not veterinarians. one of the many procedures is horn clipping. Now studies have shown that cows have nerves in their horns and not just nerves more nerves than in most parts of their bodys this procedure is where a employee takes a pair of plyers and cuts off the bulls horns. This is done without anesthetic. Also for pigs insanity and cannabilism isn't very rare. So the pigs ears must be cut off, and their teeth must be pulled. also without anesthetic. there are many people that also don't believe what the slaughterhouses are doing is correct. and there are more violent things that i couldn't state on this blog comment. the definiton of sexism is discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; esp., such discrimination directed against women. the definition for rascism is hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. and the definition of speciesism is discrimination in favor of one species, usually the human species, over another, esp. in the exploitation or mistreatment of animals by humans. polls show more than half of the world is speciesists. If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. --Paul McCartney

Amanda P. said...

I think that it is necessary for human survival that we eat meat. I think it is necessary for the survival of the human race that we eat meat. Meat gives you nutrients that nothing else can give our bodies. I do understand the meat production is bad for the environment as it says in the going green article, but if the in vitro meat becomes popular there will be no more greenhouse gases going into the environment. I think it is really important that we support this study. Yes, meat can be bad for the environment, but so can several very popular vegetarian foods. Vegetarians can’t be angry really about how people still eat meat when their products aren't great for the ozone either. If people stopped eating meat there would be an over population of several different animals which is no good to anybody. Eating meat is important for our race to stay strong.

Taylor We. said...

I think that humans should definitely eat meat. Humans have been eating meat since our species have first been around. It is an important ingredient that is needed to fuel and keep out bodies well and fit. I agree with Dylan when he says that even our teeth were developed especially for meat and vegetables so that tells you that we were meant to eat both and that it is healthy for us to do so. In the last article where it is defending eating meat, it says that people who eat fish have a less change of getting heart disease than people who don’t. But there is also another side to this, being a vegetarian isn’t a bad thing at all. In fact being a vegetarian, according to the second article, will help you lower your environmental impact and ensure worldwide food security. So all together eating meat is very beneficial to your body but in the long hall so is being a vegetarian. It all comes down to what you believe is the better thing to do.

Nate S. said...

I think that humans should eat meat. It is a great source of protein and it tastes good. I mean, yeah people hunt for meat but most of the meat is grown on farms. These farms are meant to produce food. There is nothing wrong if a cow is raised to be eaten. Everyone is raised for different things. And I totally agree with RJ that if your a vegetarian, people are still going to eat meat. Also, plenty of animals eat meat to. Were just the same. And there's animals who eat us too. So, I think it doesn't matter because we are all animals trying to survive.

Zach N said...

yes i think that all people should eat meat because it is the way that you survive. and its is also very good for you in many ways. but the thing that is not good about vegitarians is that they are not as or mabye even more so healthy.

Dana W. said...

I must admit, as it says in the article, it IS pitiful that 276 million tons of meat were consumed in 2006. That adds up to 756,164 pounds, or about 378 tons, a day! Also, did you know that twenty-six cows are slaughtered in the U.K each day?! It’s HORRIBLE!

Sorry, I got carried away. Carrying on… it’s not right to take the life of another animal so we can fuel our own race! There are other ways of getting iron and protein. The human race could possibly be raised without eating meat, as long as we put our mind to it. Plus, have you ever seen the movie Food Inc.? It’s explains what REALLY happens at slaughter houses. They are horrible places that torture animals every single day. Nine out of ten of them feed the animals steroids or sneak preservatives in the meat. If we absolutely MUST slaughter animals, then why can’t we do it with anesthesia or something?

On the other hand, meat is delicious, and I’m not going to deny it! (Sorry, Claire.) Our teeth are pointed in the front, perfect for tearing at meat, like Dylan said. Being a vegetarian is part of your personality. There’s nothing wrong with it, and it should be respected. Bacon is still good, though. Meat is essential for survival, as most everyone seems to think. Even if we found other sources of protein, our bodies would never function the same again.

But, there needs to be a happy medium. Apparently we’re ignoring our molars, premolars, and the wisdom teeth (that we never have, but are still flat)! They’re made for crushing food like lettuce leaves and other items that vegetarians would LOVE in their diets. It would be great if we could reduce the number of animals that are slaughtered, but not so many that either the human race starves, or overpopulation occurs with cows.

P.S. Mr. Croft, have you ever considered that Gerard ran away because he knew that he would be slaughtered and eaten when he was older? PIGS ARE THE SIXTH SMARTEST ANIMAL IN THE WORLD.

Mike L said...

My opinion from this blog is that we should eat meat. My reasoning of this is from the article Foreign Policies. It says that “Many fish are rich in the fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid, which humans need but bodies can't make themselves.” It also mentions that this acid can only be found in fish and no place else! This shows how meat is not as bad as people are saying. The article Why it’s green to go vegetarian states, “In 2006, 276 million tons of chicken, pork, beef and other meat were produced, 4 times as much as in 1961. On average, each person eats twice as much meat as back then (43kgs).” This shows that many more Americans are okay with the fact to eat meat. I realize that it causes problems, but meat is high in protein and humans have always been carnivores.

Serena M said...

I think that people don't need to eat meat. They can be healthy and not eat meat. In the article about the pig they shouldn't do that to a pig. They might get attached to it anyway and will probably keep it. Also the site about the vegetarians the need for more food when the population gets bigger is true. Then vegetarians will be wanted so they won't need to get so much food. There are plenty advantages to not eating meat either. You can try more foods for a bigger variety of foods. You will miss your old foods but have fun with the new foods.

Josephine P said...

To tell the truth, I really can’t decide if eating meat is good or not. Yeah, the human population is expected to rise to 9 million by 2050, and many more animals will be expected to be eaten, but meat has all ways been considered part of the human diet. It gives us many of the nutrients that we need to survive, and we have been eating meat since the last ice age, even before then, and anyway, like Dana said, we were designed to eat meat.

But,we were also designed to eat other foods, such as fruits, grains and vegetables. In other words we are omnivores, we have to eat both. Maybe we all should consider becoming vegetarians, for the future, but for now, I don’t think that the entire world, even for a “better cause” could become vegetarian.

Unknown said...

i agree with RJ and i think that its fine that humans eat mean. i respect if u r a vegetarian but its really your choice. i think that some of the ways the kill livestock is really cruel but i can't change how they do that. also animals eat other animals so what is the difference for us.?? i think u can choose watver u want to be but being a NON VEGETARIAN IS FINE!!! O AND GERARD IS A PRETTY AWESOME PIG!!!

Joshua Reutzel said...

I believe that humans should have a chose because we are all free people. But we should have only animals that that are either over populated or rose to be. But if others just want to eat vegetables or fruit then that should be there choose. No one should be pushed either way. Just like my uncle is a vegetarians because of a bet him and my dad made, but his son will never eat anything without meat. But he daughter will only eat certen meat. So this choose should be yours. But only on cretin animals such as pigs, deer, and fish should be eaten.

Mairead R said...

I think we should eat meat. We need it to keep our bodies working right. I hate the thought of animals being killed, but it is what they are made for. I understand why vegetarians don't eat meat because I love animals too. Pigs and cows are two of my favorite animals, but i still really like bacon and steak is my favorite food. All I'm saying is that even though I love animals it doesn't stop me from thinking it's wrong to eat them. We need their meat to stay strong and healthy.

Zach.M said...

I believe that we should have no change to what we eat. We need both meat and plants to maintain a healthy diet. Without either you don’t get the proteins that both provide. The only necessary time the people should be a vegetarian is for medical reasons. I also believe that being a vegetarian isn’t green because animals reproduce quickly it will have an over population if we stop eating animals.

Summer M. said...

I think that humans should eat meat. I think this for many reasons but one of them being because its part of survival for us, being a vegetarian is fine and that's some peoples choice, but I think to be at your healthiest, you have to eat meat. I agree with the article, In Defense Of Meat, when they say that red meat is not only the meat out there. If you eat to much red meat, then yes it can be bad for you, but you have to make wise decisions. Even in restaurants, or at your home you can ask for it to be cooked well done, or medium rare, then it gets a lot healthier. Another thing that I agree with is, when they say,"The industry overall may emit 18% of GHG, but the chicken is no more that 1%," Also with being a vegetarian rice emits 1.5%. I disagree with the article, Why It's Green to go Vegetarian, when they say that our future all of us being vegetarian. I disagree with this because I think that most people realize that it's a key factor of health. Since meat is now one of the most fastest growing food, I don't think that its product and sales will be going down anytime soon. People will still be buying it and selling it for a long time. I do think we should eat meat, it's one of the key foods, to our survival, and health. Products are up, and won't be going down anytime soon.

Drew H said...

I think people should defiantly eat meat. One main reasons of mine is it has protein in it which makes you a lot stronger. I understand that vegetarians are trying to save animals and don't think its right to eat another living thing but they get killed anyway cause there are to many people who aren't vegetarians and eat meat. So in my eyes they still aren't saving the animals.

chase D said...

I believe that animals were put on this planet to eat. So i agree with Dylan. I also like what Mr. Croft is doing by raseing his own meat. I believe this because you will know whats in your meat. Thus it can be healthier. Meat it also very good protein. I do not believe that you can the same protein when your a vegetarian. I believe humans should eat meat.

Alli Dr.Z said...

Yes, I think humans should eat meat. I think it's very important that we do eat meat. I know some people are vegitarians but I think that people who eat mat may be healthier than those who don't. Some people may disagree with me. But I think meat should be eaten by everybody. In the article defending eating meat, it said that people who eat fish have a lower risk of heart disease. Don't you want that? Meat has benefits. There isn't just one type of meat ot chose from. There's many. So chose the one you like best and eat it. I totally agree with Summer. When she said there is more than just red meat. It's true. So that is why I think peopel should eat meat. It's just human. (Not to be mean to vegetarians :P )

Sean Greene said...

I think humans shoulnd deffinatly eat meat. One reason is becuase it gives you alot of protein and that will help you not become weak. In the 2 link it was argueing about how our resouces are lowering well i think that is a problem that will be fixed.In the 3rd link it coplains about there safety and such but we have been eating meat for MILLIONS of years!

AshD said...

Hmm...I'm on both sides on this one. I agree a lot with Serena when she said that humans can be healthy without eating meat, but at the same time, I think that meat is awesome. I attempted to go vegetarian once, and within two days, I went like insane, and ate a pound of bacon with my cousin. So I don't know what side I'm on in this one. Because I mean, you get a lot of protien from meat, but you can also get it from other sources, too. And like Sean said, we've been eating meat for...a REALLY long long long long time. As much as I love animals...they're yummy :)

And Gerard is pretttttty cool X3

david g said...

yes i think that we should eat meat.for one that means that we woulld have to stop eating fish wich has a of good protien for you. with meat that is good for you also it has alot of unsaturated fats. and in so i think that it is ok to eat meat on occations

Sarah N said...

I believe that eating meat is good for you. But, like Conner said, they treat the animals horribly. However, there are a few places, like local farms, that don't abuse the animals. If people just stop buying commercial meat and only buy local meat, then we would only support the local farms. By supporting the local farms, we can hopefully prevent cruel slaughter of animals. Plus, meat from slaughter houses is full of bacteria and sometimes manure.

Clara W said...

I think it is good for humans to eat meat. It provides protein and other nutrients. However, I do think that eating meat too often is bad. Red meat can cause health problems. I agree with Hannah that we should cut down our meat intake. For example, if we only ate meat every other week, we would be healthier. Also, the article said that raising cattle was very bad for the environment. If we only ate non-beef meat every other week, we would be healthier and it would help the environment. I also agree with Dana and Connor about slaughter houses. If you really think about it, these animals might never have been outdoors at all. Wouldn’t you feel a little bit better if you knew that the animals at least had a good life before they were killed? Eating meat provides humans with nutrients needed to live, but raising meat can also be unhealthy and bad for the environment.

Kayley B said...

I definitely think we should eat meat. I think humans are supposed to eat meat and certain animals were put on the earth for us to eat. It gives us protein and makes us healthier so we can survive. I agree with Dylan on how if we didn't have meat we wouldn't be here right now. Like Sean and Ashley said we have been eating meat for thousands of years. It is not like we only eat meat; we also eat vegtables and grains and other food, but meat makes us stronger. It also helps us keep the animal population down. Also I don't think it is wrong to raise a pig to slaughter it because that is what they did in the olden days. I think i would get too attached to the pig to slaughter it but i dont think it is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I believe that we should eat meat. Its the circle of life and its what we rely on. Ever since humans were alive we've been eating meant. It's human nature. Vegetarians don't get the best nutrients they possibly can because the best nutrients are in meat i agree with Dylan and Nathan, it helps our bodies and fuels our minds. In the last article it says that fish have that certain type of nutrient we need and our bodies cant make it themselves, we've got to eat it. Thats something vegetarians cant do unless they eat meat. Also the second article says that meat is now the single largest source of protein. We need that protein. So thats why i think that we should eat meat. (:

Brittany S said...

I think people should eat meat. Meat gives you nurtrients that you need. When eating meat people aren't just killing animals for fun, there using the animal to stay health and safe money. yes there are veggitarens out there and that there own choice,becaue there are vitamins that they can take.In my opinion people should eat meat to stay health and not have to take so many pills.Eating meat does not harm our planet.

Tia M said...

I think that humans should eat meat. I think this because we have been eating meat for thousands of years, why stop now? From my point of view there is nothing wrong with eating meat, chicken or fish. I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating meat, fish or chicken because it gives us nutrition and eating fish can even prevent heart disease. The thing that I don’t agree with is they way these animals are treated before they are slaughtered. There have been some books I have read that have made me sick to my stomach when I read all about how these animals are treated. They are beaten and it’s just unnecessary. There are ways to slaughter an animal that don’t involve beating them first. Many people feel that being a vegetarian is the simpler way, you’re not hurting animals and you can sill eat things you want. However, I do not believe that being a vegetarian is healthy; you don’t get the nutrition you’re supposed to and the result is being very thin. Some people believe that eating meat can cause cancer and heart disease and this is a reason we should go veggie. When you research more, you find that only red meat has been known to cause any of these assumptions. There are many sides to this debate, but over all I do think that eating meat is ok and that there is nothing wrong with it. This is why I think humans should eat meat.

Emily C. said...

I agree with Nathan that this is a really big issue with a lot of different points of view. Meat eating is a part of life and like my classmates said, humans have been eating meat for millions of years. I do think that as Americans we do eat way too much meat. We could definitely reduce how much meat we eat. This would reduce obesity in our country and make us healthier. Also, the way animals are treated in slaughterhouses is really bad. There is also a problem with diseases like salmonella and mad cow disease that are spread through meat that is contaminated. Yes, it does take a lot more resources to produce meat but even so, I don’t think it is realistic to expect everyone to become a vegetarian.

Amy D. said...

I feel all people should eat meat. First of all it tastes amazing, and second it's very healthy to have meat in your diet. Meat is soemthing our bodies need and have adapted to. Like Foreign Policy stated, "A person who eats fish is less likely to have heart disease than someone who doesn't -- say, a vegetarian." This statement really is a good example of how we as humans require some sort of meat to stay truely healthy. We have lived eating meat for as long as I've ever heard of. I agree with what RJ said about how vegetarians can't stop animals from being killed. It is going to happen and I think we might as well eat them because that is the reason they were killed in the first place.

TaYloR WhiTe said...

OF COURSE meat should be eaten. i understand the point of view where people feel eating another animal is wrong, but thats just the way life is. they better realize. animals eat animals. Thats how it is. We as humans may be civilized, but that doesnt mean that we are any different. thats how we live, by the death of another. Maybe it would be more convienient if we all were vegetarians, but we would lack some other things that can be found in meat. There is no way we shouldnt eat meat. Thats just how it is. Life is'nt fair. And if you don't know, now you know.

Kaycee L. said...

I think humans should eat meat because it gives them protein. Humans have always eaten meat, i don't see why we should stop now. I agree with Dylan when he says that even our teeth were developed especially for meat and vegetables. After all it is the circle of life and it's what we rely on. People who don’t eat meat aren’t getting enough nutrition, so maybe that's why some vegetarians are skinny.

Mike H said...

Yes, I think humans should eat meat. Meat is kind of important for you. Proteins are necessary to have in order for your body to have fuel. People who don’t eat meat aren’t getting enough nutrition and that’s why so many people who are vegetarians are so skinny.

Kelsey H. ♥ said...

I believe that it is necessary, at least alright for humans to eat meat. Going back to what Taylor Weston said: our species has been hunting animals and eating them since the beginning of time, or whenever man originated. I believe that it is essential for humans to eat meat. The article that defended eating meat brings up good points, such as that meats offer omega-3s that can’t be found anywhere else in the nature. The nutrients that meat provides that can’t be found elsewhere proves that eating meat is okay. It’s been a way of life ever since the first humans walked on earth. Needless to say that I’m not saying our diet should revolve around meat and meat only.

What Dana brought up in her blog post is also very true. The fact that 276 million tons of meat was consumed in 2006 is pretty appalling. Digging back into the article, I can understand why vegetarians are encouraging more people to join their pathway.

I don’t dislike vegetarians or their ways of thinking, but humans were designed for meat and we’re not destroying the planet. So what we really need is a balance between meat and vegetables, to let vegetarians come to a middle point, to compromise, and see that eating meat isn’t that awful as it sounds.

Unknown said...

I agree with Dylan...eating meat helps our bodies. I think that meat also helps people live their lives. I mean ya eating meat means killing animals, but if it helps our cells, brain and muscles, we should eat it. A healthy lifestyle keeps us living longer...and who doesn't want to live a decent amount of time? I sure want to live a good amount of time. With what RJ said, football players, fighters, etc. dont just lift weights to build up muscle, they also eat meat to get muscle and to keep them healthy. Honestly when people talk about animals being killed, I think its sad, but it doesn't stop me from eating meats. My sisters and I think that my 5 year old niece is gonna maybe be a vegetarian. Some people are vegetarians because they just don't like meat. It's just like allergies to food. If you always eat something you really like, then find out your are allergic to it, you have to stop eating it. That's how some people want to react to becoming a vegetarian, so they stop eating it. I'm on the side of eating meat, but I'm trying to explain why some people are vegetarians. Some people think that being a vegetarian is weird and they ask a person why they are one. I can understand why a person can, and I don't think it's weird I just will never be a vegetarian.

Unknown said...

Oh ya by the way Mr. Croft, Gerard is cute...I can't believe he ran away and practically everyone in your family had to chase him.

Mackenzie D said...

I think that we should eat meat because that is how we grow and become stronger. Meats give you omgea-3 that can't be given to you through anything else but meat. Like kelsy and Taylor Weston said meat gone back a long way and that is how we eat. We do eat alot of meat so I can see why there are more vegeterians everyday.

I don't think vegeterians are bad. Although it isn't like we are eating all the animals that supply use with meat. We can eat both meat and vegetables. Vegeterians can taste meat and see that it isn't that bad after all.

Larisa Walsh said...

Of course humans should eat meat. I think it would be bad not to. For many people meat is an amazing food, thats delicious in so many ways. Eating meat is part of survival because it helps make you grow and be stronger. Its okay to be a vegetarian, but if you want to be really healthy and strong you should eat meat.In the article, In Defense of Meat, i disagree with the author because I absolutely doubt that meat will ever be totally extincted. It also says that red meat is bad, but people will make there own chocies on if they wanyt to eat it or not.It will be there fault if they get cancer from it and such because they were already warnded..In the end I think that meat eating will incresed over the years. In the article, Why It's Green To Go Vegetarian, i agree with it because it is a fact that raising cattle is one of the most damaging components of agriculture.the article said,"They cause the most environmental damage of any non-human species through over-grazing, soil erosion, desertification, tropical deforestation for ranches and growing of soya for their feed, in addition to their gaseous emissions and manure products." I also agree with most of the people that eating meat is good! In Conclusion, i think humans should eat meat.

Tommy M. said...

I think that humans should eat meat. We’ve been doing it since the beginning of time and I don’t see that changing too fast too soon. We need meat to be the way that we are. Meat provides with the proteins and nutrients we need do carry on our lives. Now I’m not saying that meat is all we should eat. I think it’s great to have a salad every so often, and if you’re a vegetarian, fine, that’s your choice. There is nothing wrong with that. I agree with Amanda P. If we stop eating meat, there’s going to be more and more animals that could be good at first, but as years go by, can lead to the over population of animals.

Now according to the vegetarian article, cattle is one of the most damaging components to agriculture. So if we don’t eat meat, more cattle, and more damage to the agriculture. In the Defense of Meat article, it states that some people may think red meat can be a source of cancer and heart disease. But that is only one kind. There are other meats that are low in saturated fats that pose little risks to our health.

Lastly, I agree with RJ that if you’re a vegetarian, you’re not going to stop people from eating meat. There are just to many non-vegetarians and they just won’t buy it. Eating meat is the way its been done since the beginning and I think it should and will be that way.

Alex W. said...

First of all I think that eating meat is a natural thing that has been going on for hundreds of years, but just because it's been happening for a long time doesn't make it right. I think humans should continue to do as they please. Although to me it doesn't seem right to eat meat, I do it, as do many people. But if we run out of resources, then I think we all have to give it up. As for nutrition, I'm certain as a vegetarian you can get around the same nutritional values. In fact, my mom's a vegetarian and she's perfectly healthy. I myself don't a ton of meat, and I'm sure I could live on just vegetables and dairy. (But I don't think I'd want to) But, as the pro meat article said, consumption is higher with the production of rice than poultry. So this mostly dismisses that point in my mind. I say let people do as the want until something is eminent.

Sarah W said...

I personally am on the fence about whether or not we should eat meat. Maybe we should just cut back on our meat in take. One article said that raising cattle is hazardous to our environment. It also said that humans eat twice as much meat as we did back in 1961. Maybe we need to go back to the basics and eat less meat. In 2006 we produced 276 million tons of meat! If we eat less maybe the green house gas that is emitted by meat will go down from 18%... can you believe that meat production emits 18% of all green house gases!?! Another route we could take instead of going vegetarian (which is impossible for me) and eating less meat is maybe eating more seafood instead. Omega-3 is abundant in fish and it is so good for us… they consider it a “super-food”! The other article says that a person who eats fish is less likely to get heart disease than someone who doesn’t. Also if we eat more fish than beef we will emit less green house gases because beef production lets out 13% more green house gases than fish production. So maybe instead of cutting out meat and fish completely isn’t the only way to help our environment maybe we should just cut back… it’s hard to quit cold turkey… so we should just cut back.

Kimberly V said...

Humans should definetly should eat meat. It's the person's choice what they choose to do with their diet, although meat just seems like a very common food to eat. We always have and it doesn't seem right to stop now because it is affecting the environment. Isn't just about everything affecting the environment these days? So what the heck, vegetarians can keep eating their veggies but in the article "In defense of meat," it says that omega-3s can't be found anywhere else in nature, and aren't omega-3s essential in a humans diet? That same article states that a person who eats fish is LESS likely to have heart disease, that someone who does not like a vegetarian.

And although it is sad that in the vegetarian article, and what Kelsey and Dana brought up that 276million tons of meat was consumed in 2006. But what if in a few years the population of vegetarians is growing and there is an overpopulation of certain animals that are slaughtered for meat. That's not good either..so vegetarians can stop eating meat, but what they do isn't going to change what I do. The last thing is that yeah, it's affecting the environment and all, but the article that opposed vegetarians, said "Scientists are refining methods for growing meat tissue in the lab without the cost of land, water, and feed.." So it's affecting the enviroment, but this is a solution if things do get that severe.

Rebekah G. said...

i think that we should stop eating meat, becuase its having a big affect on the envierment. also in one article it said that red meat might be linked to cancer adn heart disease. i think if we stop eating meat and just eat fish and chicken like the article says that it will be alot healthier for us, and also it wont have as big affect on the envierment. since the population is going to double by 2050, so will the demand for meat if we don't stop eating meat. this will be very bad for the envirerment. that is why i think that we should stop eating meat.

kyle c said...

i think humans should eat meat because its a good source of protein

Katie T. said...

I think we should still eat meat but maybe less because yes it does have an effect on the enviorment but, its good for humans and it has alot of protein. I don't beleive in killing animals when they are babies, I don't eat veal or lamb. In the other two articles they talk about how the farming affect the envirermental I didn't eat baby meat at first because of the morals but now that I know that it affects the enviroment pepole should cut down on eating baby meat.

sam i said...

I think that we should eat meat it guves us vitamins and minerals that give our body protein. Meat tast good real good. The only bad thing about meat is that it is hurting to enviorment. It is our choice to eat meat if some people dont want to then that is there fauilt

Melissa.S said...

I think that its ok for humans to eat meat. I personally think that because really that's what I grew up with... eating meat. Eating meat was man's first instinct when human life just began. They didn't grow rice or vegetables, they ate meat from animals. Also in the third article they said that the industry of making meat emits 18 percent of all GHG, but the chicken production contributes only 1 percent. Rice, a vegetarians food, contributes 1.5 percent. Also, people aren't just getting the meat from random animals at farms. Some animals are raised for one purpose, to be made into food. I guess it's not the best thing, but they aren't wiping out full populations of the animals. like Mr. Crofts pig, he is being raised to grow up and to be used to make food. Overall, I don't really think that eating meat is a bad thing.

Alex K said...

I thunk we should absalutly eat meat. It is the best and easiest way to get protein and it helps out with getting stronger. It may heart the environment but we have always ate meat and i donte think people would stop eating meet eny way. Also eating meet shoudnt me the most environment global warming issue we should be tring to be band it should be somthing like cars and and factories.

Bria N♥♥♥♥♥ said...

I don't think people should eat meat beacause, it's eating an animal that was helplessly slaughtered. It is terrible to slaughter an animal, just for it's meat. Granted, you get the nutrients you need from it, but there are other supplements that you can use. I don't like eating meat, because, it's eating a cute little animal that once had, like, a face, and feelings. It just doesn't feel right. I don't think that eating meat is right, and people shouldn't do it, but that's just my opinion..