Population change can tell us a lot about our country. Use the following resources to examine population change in the USA. What do you see? What information strikes you as interesting? What do you think it says about our country and its different regions? Why do you think population is increasing in some places and decreasing in others?
This is a new tool from Google to make your own population graph. Try lots of states. Some interesting states to compare are: Arizona, Michigan, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, and Louisiana. Remember, if you click on the total US population or on a state with large population, it will make it hard to see changes in smaller states. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&idim=state:01000:04000:22000:09000:25000:26000
This is a cool map from USA Today showing different types of population change by county: http://www.usatoday.com/news/graphics/census_0307/flash.htm
Spend some time. Play with each source and find your insight! Eight formally written sentences needed for full credit. You must also use data (numbers or information) from the charts or maps. Please remember to write your name.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
71 comments:
First! Real comment coming soon!
xD
I see the western United States has a skyrocketing population. Much of the east coast also has a growing population. Meanwhile, much of the Applachians and south east have a shrinking population. The Great Plains region also has a shrinking population. Regarding individual states, here in Connecticut, the population has barely grown. There has only been substantial population growth in Tolland and Windham counties, both of which are in the northeastern portion of the state. Arizona's population has skyrocketed maybe because it's part of the western sun belt. Louisina's population has decreased probably because of the recent hurricanes.
The western popoulation has risen over the years. O think this is do to the cheaper realestat and its easier to find a job amd other cheaper expenses. What suprises me is that the population has decreased. I think this is do to the raise in gas prices and the drop in jobs as well. Older people can't afford to live in the north so they moved to the south where it is cheaper to live.
Some places might have more women and then some places have more men. Also some places could have some people migrating to and from there...
-Breana Brewer
by: Melissa
From the chart, i saw how southern and western population have probably increased the most. Population change in these regions might have to do with many things. one reason might be because living costs more in the north and north/east. In these hard economic, foreclosures on houses happen everyday. People want to continue to live a structured life without a big stress of money. Still, getting a job in our economy is hard in about every US state. People move looking for new jobs and an affordable living. I think the population charts will be changing frequently.
I’m surprised by the data shown. I had no idea that Connecticut’s population had stayed so linear over the past few years. I noticed that New York’s population is in the extremes of around 20,000,000. Imagine if we just lost New York and everyone in it, how much it would effect our population. Just for one state. I think the reason New York is so populated is because it was very populated to begin with. I mean if a state is populated to begin with then it’s bound to grow, by much each time because of the constantly increasing population. But the Central United States is suffering in population. My speculation is that because that part of the country is tougher to live IE, the climate, wether, venoms creatures, etc. But people know this, and they probably think to themselves, “Do I really want to deal with waking with no water and a scorpion in my boot, or would I rather live in a place where I’m more likely to be struck by lighting then having to rush to the hospital at five in the morning because a scorpion bit my foot. Hmm tough choice.” This is a very elaborate explanation, but it is true. I would have liked to end this there but that is not the right note. Here it is. That is why the population is the way it is.
One thing that surprises me is that Connecticut population has not gone up or down. It has just been a straight line since 1985. With our economy so bad it does not surprise me that the U.S line has not gone up. But our economy has not been bad since 1985 so it does surprise me that the population does not go up at the beginning. New York has such a big population it is has at least 3times as many people as we do. New York started off with a lot of people but there line is not rising drastically it is going up slowly. The state that surprises me the most is Florida. Florida’s population was high to begin with but then it just goes up very fast. In 1985 they started off with 9,746,959 but in 2005 they have around 18,328,340 there population has almost doubled in over a couple of years.
The reason I believe that in some places population has increased because people look for new jobs so some go to the bigger areas shown in the graph but not all. I believe in some areas has decreased because there's unemployment. What struck me the most was in Texas more than 5% of the population had decreased in most of Texas. Kansas as well struck me more than half of that state has decreased in population. What I can tell is in the East side of the United states there is less population. In the West side of the United states there are bigger populations. What I noticed in the west and mid west is where population is deceasing. In the south theres population decreasing and increasing at the sametime and and some areas it hasn't changed.
On the map i see that the population in the west increased more than in the east. This could be because of the economy or other such factors. The greatest increase in population is in california. The population of states in the center of the country are decreasing. this may be because people are moving to get a job.
Alex stop being weird
For the graph I choose michigan, massachusetts,connecticut, and D.C. In 1980 michigan was at a population was at 9,262,004 now with a population at 10,003,422. massachutts in 1980 it was at 5,737,093 and now6,497,967. the constitution state was at 3,107,564 and now is at3,501,252. now in D.C it was at 638,432 and now at 591,833. of these 4 states every population went up but D.C went down. BRY-MAN
Ethan Lindblom,
When i was looking at this graph i noticed that the southorn and western states population is increasing way faster than the east coast's population is. For example California's populatain has gone up by 13 million people in the last 20 years while Conneticut's population has gone up only gone up buy 400,000. But that 400,000 peple is still alot, I think that if these numers ceap going up at the rate they are currently then the united states is going to have to eventualy put in a set number of children each cupple can have. I think the reason the western united states population is growing faster is because of all the wild lidfe and citys which are all in a close distance from enother.
The mid-west is were the highest population rate and i think this is happening because in this economy people are looking for the lowest prices which is generaly in the mid-west. The west is growing and the east is eather the same or less because of the exspenses. Connecticut has standed stil for a while and hasnt realy changed. I beleive this is happening because this use to be farm land and now its all rich areas so every has to stay or they cant buy to come back. New York also has 3 times as many people as we do which didnt suprise me.
I think the most interesting thing is that not alot of people moved to Hawaii. It is like the coolest place in the universe. and surprisingly alot of people moved to Michigen. Seriously, what is so special about Michigan. And I also find it highly insulting that no one moves to Connecticut. We are the coolest state in the universe. We are one of the cleanest states too! Everyone wants to live in Connecticut. Ok not really. But we are still an awesome state!
i noticed that all the sates down south is getting more and more populated and the northeren states are losing population or are staying the same for the most part and the state with the most extream increase was texas. i think that they had the most extream increas because of the imagration from mexico but i could be rong because the graph isnt working anymore. i was suprised to see that alaska had a lowwer population than rode island
by kyle bennett
What strikes me as interesting is that Michigan is way above most states in population and there seems to be no logical reason for this but now recently Michigans economy has hit rock bottom and is barely active which is causing the highly populated state to take a downword turn for the worst. It also appears that florida has growth between 6-25 % while the north east has little populztion growth. What also interested me was that Louisana took a sharp decline in population around 2005 with no logical explanation. Althoug according to USA Today Louisana has been losing population of 1-5+ Percent which is because of hurricane katrina, one of the most devastation hurricans in america history takes countless number of lives. Population Gains and loss's most likely is happening more recently because hundreds of thousands of people have been laid off and are now looking for jobs to help support their families.
I think most of the south's states like Texas and Florida's populations are going up because of immigration. I'm not really sure why populations are going up in certain places around the country. It might be because of jobs available in part of a certain state or to do with the housing market and real estate prices dropping. the places where there are major losses of population [for example, Alaska] must be because there is less oppurtunity for jobs. It's odd that some rural places, like northern Texas are having sharp increases in population. Where you would figure places like new york to have a lot of population boom. but not all urban areas are growing. It's not a surprise that there is not much growth in areas like detroit, with americas car industry the way it is. I think these public data maps could definitely change if the economy grew or worstened.
In the first graph what first caught my eye was how Connecticuts population was pretty much the same since 1980 whereas Floridas population has skyrocketed (comparitivly). In Louisianna the population dropped in 06/05 because of Huricane Katrina in New Orleans.
(Got to Go, I will finish at home!)
I believe that many people are moving to different states to find work. Some states, such as Pennsylvannia, have lost more than 5% of their population. While some states, like Florida, have more than 25% of their population. On the USA TODAY map, I noticed that the USA borders are highlighted as 25% of new growth in population. This could be because of migration. Immagrants that come to America ussually settle the border, since it's a shorter distance to travel. The areas that are highlighted "Growth Greater Than 25%" a usually areas of big states, possibly with good jobs. The areas that are highlighted "Loss of more than 5%" are usually small states that could have little jobs availible. Numbers that caught my eye in the Google Graph was that Connecticut slowly inclined in population. ( 3,501,252 )
What really struck me in the first graph, was that many of the state's population are constant, with no change, or little at all. Then some states such as California and Texas's population are rising. I am guessing this is because many people migrate to these places, especially California. In the second website, it was suprising to find that in Nevada and other western states, there was a higher growing of population, as well as the the southern states. I think people are affected by the teperature of some places, as well as what type of weather factors as well. I was suprised to find that the antrual increase in states farther West was gaining greater than 6%, and even maybe more. It was also shocking to finnd that immigration was higher in West, and southern parts of the country. I think this because most immigrants come from warmer climates than the ones in Connecticut and New York.
Connecticut’s population has grown by less than ½ million people. The U.S.’s population as a whole has increased by more than 150 million. This is not a surprise because people are always immigrating to the U.S. Florida’s population has been increasing steadily and it is now over 18 million. The majority of the states have not had that much population growth. The population of California has increased by more than 10 million people. For the most part is seems that people are moving out of the center of the country and towards the coastline. One exception to this is that people are still clustered around big cities such as Chicago. The other exception is that in terms of moving east the population rose starting at the Appalachian Mountains. Most of the immigration from other countries is to the west, the tip of Florida, and New York.
I had noticed that most place up north are having a population decrease. But down south the population looks like it's growing. Over the last 30 years the U.S. population as gone up 50% from about 225,000,000 to 304,059,724. The most populated state is California, followed by Texas, New York, and Florida. I one thing that shocked me most was the fact that these is a part of Alaska is growing at 25% per year
IM ON A BOAT AGAIN!!!!
In the google graph I see that there has been a stead increase of the population. In the USA today’s chart what struck me was that there was a greater death rate in the middle of America, compared to the rest of it. I think this says that our country and various religions encourage having children. I think some places have a high population because more people want to live there, such as New England, and with others a low population because fewer people want to live their, such as a desert or a tundra.
Connecticut's population has basically stayed the same. I think some states populations went up because people moved their searching for jobs. There are bad economic times right now and they might have gotten fired and they need a new job. Many states in the North have had a population decrease. I think that is because there might not be a lot of jobs in the North. Lots of people are moving to the sides of the country. It was surprising to see that Alaska's population has been going up. Another random state's population went up and that State was Arizona. I don't know why people move to states that have nothing like Alaska and Arizona.
NO IM ON A BOAT!!!!!!!!
I can see from the USA Today map that many counties throughout the Midwest. These states include Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and both North and South Dakota. I don't really understand why these regions especially are having such drastic population drops. Perhaps these are mainly farming areas and industrial ares, which results in job loss. On the other hand most eastern states along the Atlantic have been having, in almost every county, population growth. Some counties are having a greater increase than others, like Florida, Maryland, and Delaware. Also it seems that almost all counties on the western seaboard have increased greatly like Washington and California. Perhaps this could be because there are more jobs in the Urban areas along the coastline. Many states population stayed pretty much the same according to the data from Google. There were a few states that decreased in population like New Jersey and the District of Columbia. Maybe there are less jobs in this tough economic times. A few states drastically increased in population like California, Illinois, and Florida. These three states are three of the most urban, industrialized states, so maybe people are migrating to these places for jobs. Overall I think mos of the population increasing and decreasing is due to the harsh economy, and people looking for jobs.
I think hat there are many reseons why the population might be different in different areas. One reaseon would be that people are migrating to another state. The reseon why California had the highest population was because california has alot of land. That means that many people can live in california. The total population for America is about 225 million people. That is alot compared to California's 23 million population. That means that the rest of the United States makes up 202 million of the population. The second most populated state is texas with about 20 million population. I think that most of the populations increasing and decreasing is because America is having trouble with the economy and that there is scase amounts of jobs and there are alot of people looking for jobs.
Thomas Andrews
What striked me as interesting on the chart was that one district in Alaska has population growth of more than 25% a year. I think that maybe this area has lots of oil and many people want to get rich. Something else that is interesting was that Arizona had a big population increase. This must be because house prices are cheap and land is cheap so businesses will start up and create lots of jobs. Also the Gulf coast suffered a lot. I think this is mainly because of the hurricanes. Also the lower southern regions of nevada had a population increase of more than 25%. This is maybe because more people are gambling or they want to take advantage of the number of tourists that come to Los Vegas each year. Our country as a whole went from a population of 240 million to 300 in 30 years. Also in Michigin since the failure of ford, chrysler and GM i think many people are moving away and probably relocating to the sun belt to start a new life.
From the chart I see that the western and some of the southern states have grown a lot! Texas and Florida's populations have skyrocketed. Up in the east most of the populations have stayed the same. CT's population has barley grown at all. I think this is because it has gotten so expensive up here and in this economy people cant afford to move here. Many states such as Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma don't have much increase either. This is most likely because of the economy also. It's mostly farm land and since the farmers market isn't at a strong point many are loosing jobs.
Personally I think it is strange how mostly every state's population is growing. Also they seem to growing at a steady rate. But it seems that the south east region's population of our country seems to be growing the most. I don't really have a clue why this is so. If you look at the chart for "All US" it is the most suprising. It has grown steadily from 225 million to about 304 million over 28 years. The state with the highest increase over the last 28 years is California with and increase of about 13 million. I think this is due to immigrants from Latin America and other places around the world. But what really shocks me is that New York has now increased about 2 million since 1980.
These charts were a little bit suprising to me. In the wester part of the U.S., the population has both grown and dropped. Areas near California and Oregon have grown more than 5%. Some have grown even more than 25%. Places that are way in the west have Grown. Areas more like Nebraska, Texas, North Dakota, and South Dakota have grown more in population. They have lost more than 5%. Connecticut has had growth of up to 5% or more. They have pretty much stayed the same. The population in 1980 in Connecticut was 3,107,564. It has grown since then. Not very much though. The population since 2008 was 3,501,252. This doesn't surprise me very much. This is because CT is a very small state. There hasn't been much growth. Other places like California have grown a lot. This doesn't surprise me because California is a very large state. Many new people are coming there. This is probably why the population grows so much more there.
I was surprised that the population of Arizona has more than doubled since 1980. From the graph and the video, I think it's safe to assume that the western portion of the U.S has had great population growth since 1980. I notice that states in the north east tend to have very different populations, but the growth has not been very significant in proportion to the 1980's population. For example, new york almost grew a whopping 2 million. This is only a 10% change, though.
While measly Connecticut appears to have no change, the population grew an impressive 11-12%. A shocking decrease I found was in Louisiana from 2005-2006. I think that the sharp spike may be because of the bad hurricane season in September 2005.
What I see is colors and graphs that explain how much state’s populations have gone up or down. What I though was interesting was there weren’t many states that went down. I would think that now in this economy that people would be moving to the places that have the jobs. Especially the farming states like Idaho because the farming industry is doing so bad. In the graph it shows Idaho has gone up around 500,000 from 1981 to 2008. I think the map shows that there are different regions in our world. They are all different because of the type of jobs, race, weather, etc. On the other Hand California is doing pretty well because of its special aspects.
This chart was very interesting. One of the states that increased in population the most was Texas. Connecticut appeared to not grow much in population. The graph showed how much a state was increasing in population. It was easy to tell because the graph was very visual. In the upper east population hasn't grown very much. I think this because the economy is very bad and The upper east is more expensive than other area. in the U.S.. States like Oklahoma and Wyoming did not increase very much.I also thought that Arizona was an interesting state to see on the graph. It almost doubled in population since 1980. This was a fun blog to do.
When looking at the Google map, I saw that Arizona went up in double of the population. CT only increased in a small amount. It pretty much stayed constant. When I clicked on West Virgina it decreased by a little. See this chart it shows me that in the past years peope have moved alot to different states such as Arizona doubled. When looking at the states on the map it show that a reason people could be moving is because of the economy. Families are looking for more jobs therefore looking for a place were there are better industries. In some state their were less population. This means that there are either more deaths in that state or that there are no good jobs in that state.
When comparing the Google map to the USA Today map both have clearly stated the west has an increasing population. This may be due to better real estate. Maybe even greater job oppurtunities. Back towards New England population is growing but not as much as other sections of the nation. Connecticut has had an increasing population rate according to USA Today. Although the rest of New England has had a loss of 5%. I have noticed a trend in the farming states though. Pennsylvannia, New York, and the middle of the nation all have decresasing populations. This could be due to the job loss in the farming industry. You can definatley divide the country by population growth or decrease.
I see the Michigan is high then the others. The information the strikes me is that Arizona, Alabama, Louisiana, and connecticut they all meet in one part.
Mr. Croft sorry but the other website didn't work for me. But i did the other 2 questions.
What i noticed is that the western side of the United State has a great amount of population. The eastern side has grown gradually in populations over the years. What surprise is that Connecticut has stayed practically the same for over 24 years. The most populated state that has increase is Texas. I think that this chart says that in the western side of the United States there are a lot more people than the east side. This is probably due to more jobs over on that side. I think that its increasing in some places and decreasing in others becuase of more job opportunities in the states.
People seem to be leaving the Gulf Coast, especially the areas hit by hurricane Katrina. Lousiana and Missisippi, Florida, and Texas are 2 southern states which are growing in population. This may be an overflow from the Gulf states.
u r all wrong im the 1 who is on a boat!!!!
The first thing I noticed on the Google article was that Arizona and Massachusets currently have the same population. I am somewhat surprised because Massachusets is much smaller. In both articles Arizona's population has grown increasingly. As well Conneticut's population has remained constant. Michigan's population has increased and so has Louisiana's after a slight decrease in 2006. Certain parts of Nevada and California has also experienced a dramatic increase. I have also noticed all the states in the middle of the country have remained for the most part no change. This may be because they are not surrounded by other countries with immigrants. Another state to undergo a big population increase is Florida. Maybe because it being a peninsula and other countries have easier acess to it.
I found it interesting that Arizona's population more than doubled. It increased by 3,783,634 people over a period of 28 years. In fact, many western states have growing populations. California's population grew by 13,088,902 people in 28 years. However, when one looks at the populations of central states, the numbers aren't that great. North Dakota's population dropped by 11,236 people over 28 years. Many central states are losing population. many eastern states have very few changes in their populations, except for states like Virginia and Florida. Virgina's population went up 2,422,292 people in 28 years. And Florida's population went up 8,576,381 people in 28 years. So some eastern states have big, growing populations. I think the population growths are affected by such things as, natural disasters, certain companies closing, and a bad economy.
of what i can see is that california has the most dramatic change through the years. it went up abaut 24 million to 37 million. the second biggest change is texas that is 14million to 24 million. the smallest change is wyoming it berly went up 100,000from 1982 to now. all of the us went up about 50 million over about 30 years. i think that is a really big number for just 30 years. it suprises me that texas is the secend most populated state followd close by new york. connecticut has gone up about 400,000 in the past 25 years.
I see that New Mexico goes straight across at a steady estimation of 1.5. Nevada crosses New Mexico staring at an estimation of 1m and going to 2m.Conneticute goes across at a steady estimation of 3m. Arizona starts around 3m and goes up to about 6m. Massachusetts goes across at a steady estimation of 6m. Florida starts around 9.5m and goes up to about 17.5m. And Texas starts around 14m and goes up to about 24m. The information that strikes me as interesting is that out of the state chosen Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Mexico were the states that stayed consistent over the year span of 1982-2008, and Texas, Florida and Arizona were the states that increase over the years of 1982-2008. This graph says that the states that happen to be farthest south, north and west are more populated. I think that the population in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Mexico stay consistent because they are further inland then Texas, Florida and Arizona, who’s population happens to increase I think the reason for them increasing is because they are closer to the water.
I saw in the first site that California had the largest population, and the greatest population growth. The population of California was already the largest in July, 1980 at 23,667,764, but by 2008 the population had increased 13,088,902 people to 36,756,666 people. This makes sense to me because California is a very large country, and it has a lot of people. One thing that surprised me was that before July, 1994 Texas had a lower population than New York, but in July, 1995 the population of Texas surpassed New York’s by more than 400,000. I always thought that New York had a larger population than Texas because New York’s population density was a lot larger than that of Texas. I also saw that in the second site most of the states in the middle of the country, such as Kansas and Nebraska, had a lot of decreases in population of more than 5 percent from 2000 to 2006. Also the states on the sides of the country, such as California and Florida, had a lot of areas where there was an increase of population. I think that this means that more people would rather live in the urban areas of the USA, like Florida and California. In cities and towns there is more industry, and therefore more opportunities for employment.
While looking at the Google data, i saw that most of the states stayed constant in their population including North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Rhode Island, Connecticut, etc... According to the USATODAY figure, New England and from Texas and Montana over to the east coast is suffering in population. I believe that the reason for this is because of the climate, weather, etc... Colorado, escpecially in the mountains is very cold but right next to it you have the hot muggy plains of Kansas and oklahoma. These are not very comfortable conditions to live in so people move elsewhere. I think the reason that the edge of the east coast and Florida have a greater population increase is because of immigrants coming in from South America, Europe, amd Africa. I noticed a big increase in Nevada but that is mostly from Las Vegas. One thing that I was surprised about was that southern Texas didn't have to much of an increase. I guess that that implies that the anti-immigration thingamagig is working well. One thing that was just a weebit shocking was that Rhode Island's population was higher than Alaska, North Dakota, and South Dakota. The only reason that this is surpising is that Alaska is the biggest state and yet it has less people than the smallest state, Rhode Island. The three biggest ncreases that I saw were California(~24 million - ~37 million), Folrida(~10 million - ~18 million), and Texas (~14.5 million - ~24 million). Overall, teh US increased about 75 mil. These are my opinions and speculations about the US population. THE END
i was suprised to learn that mishigans pouplation was the highest in the chart. I was not suprised to see that CT was at the bottom of the chart. the overall poupulation of the contry went up, i did not find this supriseing. supriseingly Arizona had the largest increace in poulpulation.
My insight on the population increase/decrease map was that only a hand full of states have an area that is increasing more than 25%. Our state, Conneticut, went from 3,107,564 in July 1980 to 3,501,252. The highest increase in population there was between 5 and 25% whish barely compares to other states like Nevada which went from 463,087 to 1,865,746 in Clark County, which is almost qaudruple the amount it was in 1980. I had also noticed that high pop. (population) states like New York don't change very much and are actually loosing their pop. by up to 5%. Inland counties are loosing their pop. rapidly for example, in Kansas the majorities of counties pop. are decreasing by up to 25%. The coast line states, such as California, Oregon, Washington, Delaware, are getting these movers and so their pop. increases with more and more inlandies.
My insight on the population increase/decrease map was that only a hand full of states have an area that is increasing more than 25%. Our state, Conneticut, went from 3,107,564 in July 1980 to 3,501,252. The highest increase in population there was between 5 and 25% whish barely compares to other states like Nevada which went from 463,087 to 1,865,746 in Clark County, which is almost qaudruple the amount it was in 1980. I had also noticed that high pop. (population) states like New York don't change very much and are actually loosing their pop. by up to 5%. Inland counties are loosing their pop. rapidly for example, in Kansas the majorities of counties pop. are decreasing by up to 25%. The coast line states, such as California, Oregon, Washington, Delaware, are getting these movers and so their pop. increases with more and more inlandies.
One thing that I noticed was that the middle of the country was the one place where there was alot of population loss. I also notice that big tourist destinations and places with large beaches, such as Florida and California are getting more population. This tells me that warmer climate is more desirable by most people. One thing that struck me as significant was that the population for Connecticut pretty much stayed the same with just the slightest rising and falling. I noticed that Florida made a huge incline for population amount. California also made a great incline. I think it's decreasing more on the inland, because people like beaches and places where there are beaches has a rising population. I think it's interesting how the entire U.S popualtion has done nothing but increase since 1980.
I wa surprised by the data. I had no idea that Connecticut’s population had stayed the same over the past few years. I also noticed that Florida made a huge incline for population amount. California also made a great incline.I think it is because people like the warm weather.
LOGAN ROSS
i was mostly looking at other states population in comparison with connecticut. Connecticuts population hasnt realy changed much since the 80's, as other states like Floride and Texas skyrocketed especially Texas, the second most pupulous state in the US.In the colored graph the states who are increasing in population the most by county ar mostly nevada and Florida, because they have the most red spots. On the other hand Kansas is almost all blue which means that it is losing alot of its population. Connecticut is all white except for a little growth in the upper right hand corner. i think that overall the population of the United states is rapidly growing, i think we should keep an eye on the population so we dont get to overcrowded like China or India.
It was the most of the immigration in 2000 and through 2006 was the most change for me. One of the places that had alot of immigrationg is on the tip of Florida and Alaska. But the thing that bother me was on the news it says that most immigrates are going to New york to get a job but there is nothing there. In washington state there is some what alot there too
No, Im was on the boat first!
After I messed around with both charts I discovered alot of things. Connecticut has about 3.5 million people. Texas has almost 25 million people! New York has a population of almost 20 million. I thought new york would have a bigger population than texas. Califonia has almost 37 million people. I noticed that arizona has the biggest increase from 1995 to now. On the other graph i have noticed that there is alot of population loss of more than 5%.
By: Tom Ascenzi
with all the natural disasters im not not suprised that population went down in louisiana but in places like arizona populations are going up i presume it is because it is cheaper to live there and the land is cheaper there also. btu places like ct never really change because people are constantly moving from place to place yet not many people move out of ct thier whol familys just stay in and grow up in ct but places like california populations are constantly changing because its a new fast city with people constantly moving in and out of there also th ecity is growing and that is increasing the population
One thing that surprised me is that Connecticut has not changed. It pretty much stayed constant. but other states change drasticaly Population Gains and loss's is happening more and more because thousands of people have been laid off and are now moving for jobs
I was not surpised that the mid west's population has gone up because I think people want more land for a cheaper price. I mean who really wants to buy a million dollar apartment in New York when you can be set for life in Kanas.Pesonally I Don't like cities. I couldn't stand the noice constantly around me. Any way so that makes me wonder why more people from New York don't live in Connicut and just catch the train. I guess that just seperates the people who want land and the people who want money.
First for the state population chart, I noticed that most states, including our home state, increased gradually in population from 1980, when CT's population was about 3,100,000 to 2009, when it was 3,500,000. But some other states, such as Arizona and Nevada, increased much more sharply. They must be running out of water in the desert! With Louisiana, you can see the impact of Hurricane Katrina as that state lost about 250,000 people from July, 2005 to July, 2006.
On the USA Today map, it seems like the middle of the county, with all those large counties, was losing population and other areas, especially those by the coasts, were gaining population. It was also interesting to see that northern Utah, with its high Mormon population, had a high rate of natural population increase. More babies = more people, right? Overall, this map indicated that population change happened in different areas for different reasons: immigration, natural increase, and migration.
To me it seems that many people are moving because they need to find work or find a better, less expensive place to live. It shocked me though how many people were leaving their homes to move somewhere else. It was amazing that both California and Florida stayed the same, because those seem to be very expensive places to live, and the fact that Connecticut's population pretty much stayed the same.
-Cassidy
there is very strong imigration in calofornia and texas and florida. this is because they are boarder states, and they are easy to get ina nd out of. i noticed that there is a random spot of imagration in the tip of texas. there is slow imagration in the golf, because there is a thret of hurricanes.i agree with elery that it seems that almost all counties on the western seaboard have increased like Washington and California because there are more jobs in the Urban areas, along the coastline.
heye
ooogity boogity booo
Post a Comment