Sunday, April 19, 2009

Should Lincoln Have Let Them Go?

Starting in December, 1860, 11 states seceded from the USA and formed the Confederate States of America (CSA). Starting in 1861, Abraham Lincoln, as Commander-in-Chief of the Army, and Congress refused to let the CSA exist as an independent country. They waged war against the CSA to keep them from being independent of the USA. 360,000 USA soldiers and 250,000 CSA soldiers died in the war that followed. Countless more lives were changed for the worse.

The question for our blog is this: should Lincoln and the Congress have let the CSA simply leave the Union? Should they have waged this destructive war? (Answer in a formal paragraph of at least eight sentences for full credit).

63 comments:

Alex said...

First comment!

Back to your question, yes, Lincoln should've let the Confederate States sucede peacefully. If they wanted to be a country, it wasn't the north's problem. Them fighting for their independence wasn't different from us fighting for our independence when we were part of Britian. As if this weren't bad enough, the civil war was deadly. Additionally, the war wasn't popular. The economy tanked as a result. There was also a draft which led to outrage. This all could've been avoided if Lincoln let the CSA secede peacefully

Anonymous said...

lincoln should not have let the CSA leave america. the CSA was mad that they secceded from the states so thay lost there freedom. the states should not have waged war it just gave the south more problems the war killed 360,000 USA soilders and 350,000 CSA soilders. if the south never seceded there would never be a war.

McK.Sturges. said...

I think Lincoln should not have them the CSA go. CSA believed in having slaves which is morally wrong. If they stayed in the USA, Liccoln could have used many possible ways to show them how slavery is completely wrong. This would have steered away for the destructive Civil War. Showing the CSA slavery is wrong would have saved many lives. Even after the Civil War was won by the Union, African Americans for many years after the war were still not treated equally. The Civil War abolished slavery. But the Civil War was not effective in having the African Americans treated equally, a different way would've been a whole lot better.

Anonymous said...

COLIN REILLY
i dont think that lincoln really had a choice to let the csa go or not. because he could not have made them stay even if he wanted to.if he could have made them stay then i think he should have because he could have stoped slavery before it got to out of control. I think that it was good that he waged this war because he needed to get the csa back and stop slavery for good. and this was the only wat to do that

michael anson the master in black said...

I think that lincoln had no choice to let them go because if they where to stay they would probly start any other war. And there would be alot of protest. But I think that lincoln did a good deed. To just waged the war of destructive on the csa. If I was licoln I would have done the same thing and waged the war on them.

Anonymous said...

I dont think lincoln had a choice. IF the CSA wasnt allowed to leave from the north they would have qanyway and started a war. I think it was good he let them go. THis established our country better in my oppinion. This also proved that a country divided can stil succede. Many lives were lost but in my opinion.

Anthony G said...

No lincolin shouldnt have let them secede peacefully. They belonged to union and they deserved to fight for what they wanted not just have it given to them. If they had left peacefuly they would have thought that they had more power because they didnt have to fight ffor what they wanted it was just given to them.

Anonymous said...

i think that licon should have let the confederacy go to become there own i think this because i think more states would have become part of the confederacy. i think this because they might have thought that licon was tring to make everything his way like dictator. i also think that he didnt really have a choice.

kyle bennett

Emily Svenningsen said...

I think it was right for the Union to fight back for the CSA to come back into the Union. I did not think that it was right for the CSA just to leave for different beliefs. Yes, it would have been hard to have sorted things out, and I know that they did try, but all things can be resolved. I think the Northerners, and the Southerners had too many beliefs, that they did not want to secrafice anything. I also thought that North was very independent from the South, as South was independent from the North. I sometimes think though, that if we did leave the CSA as be, then our nation today would be very different. I think most people would call this a different continent from the United States and The Confederate States. If we did not fight this war, there wouldn't have been as many deaths, so at some times, I do agree that we should not have fought the war. I also think that we shouldn't have fought the war because if we just let the South believe in what they believed in, then there would have been less tension between the North and the South in the first place. This is why I think the war shouuldn't have been and should have been fought.

chrisL said...

i believe that lincoln should have let the south seceded peacefully. he should of because it is not the north's problem if the south secedes. lincoln did let the south get away, and i think he made the right decision. the civil war was very deadly but we are one nation again.

Anonymous said...

by: Melissa

I believe Lincoln should have let the south succeed. It wouldn't hav affected the north and there might have actually been more peace and less complications. There would be more peace because there wouldn't be a debate over slavery. This means a lot less fighting. There would be less complications because there would be less currency (money) differences to deal with. Also, the government might have had an easier time with less people because its easier to control a small group of people than a larger one. In the end, i don't think Lincoln really had the option of letting them leave or making them stay. The southerners (confederates) had made up their minds and had strong opinions.

Sean I. said...

Alex i beat u but the computer crashed


I think Licoln was right to not let the south go. Even if there was civil war is it is wrong to have slaves. If you are going to make someone work from sunrise to setset you should at least pay them and give them desent meals. If the south became another country both the United States and the Confederacy would have fallen into choas. Sure more than 600,000people died but the country would be better this way.

Kelly Sullivan said...

I think that it was a good thing that Abraham Lincoln let the CSA succeed peacefully. I think that if he did not let them leave peacefully then maybe the CSA would have started a war and the union may have to fight a defensive war which in my opinion is worse. I also think that it was right of Lincoln to start a war after they succeeded. The south just left because the north and south had different beliefs on slavery. They could have of settled it without war if the CSA did not leave. By starting the war Lincoln also got rid of slavery. Also Lincoln did not really have a choice of letting the CSA leave or not. If the CSA really wanted to leave then I am sure they would have left not matter what the north wanted.

Anonymous said...

Ryan McQueen

I dont think Lincoln should have let them go because alot of people died. Ifhe hadnt made them go, then that many people could have been spared. There would have been more peace instead of fighting. Im sure the soldiers didnt want to go risk there lives. Alot of families would have been alot more happy if Lincoln hadnt made the troops go, and they got to stay.

Michael Maurial said...

I believe what lincoln did was correct. The south only seceeded because they had different beliefs. If the south didn't start the war then the North would probaly have started the war. I think this helped our country though because this way we could settle our differences.

sydney said...

i do think that the north should have ket the south form its own country. even though most poeple are against slavery, theres 2 sides to the issue and poeple should not have to do somthing (be apart of a country) that they dont want to. that goes against everything the north is even for.

also dont thing they should have started the war. they should have been the more civilized people, and even if it didnt end well for them they would know that they werent the ones who gave in to fighting.

Unknown said...

I agree with ryan on this a lot of people could have been spared if lincoln hadnt let them go there would of been a lot less fighting

Anonymous said...

I think the USA should have kept the CSA form leaving the Union. This is because without the CSA in the Union the USA would not be complete. When you think about our nation today compared to before the Civil War you realize how much has changed, and that most of those changes were for the better. But, what would it be like missing the southern part of Amercia? THe south only seceded is because they had different views on slavery than the north. I think that the war was a mistake and that the problem could have been solved in a different way. It would be better if a compromise was made rather than a war. Later on slavery could be tackled and done way with. Hopefully.

Anonymous said...

I think that Lincoln should have keep the CSA from leaving. I think this because the CSA was part of the union. I think that the north and the south could have worked things out instead of having a war. Because of the war there were so many bad things. The troops had to go to war and be sperated from their families. Thousands of people died on both sides because of the war. Instead of the war they could have worked things out instead of having a war. Violence is not the answer for everything.

Anonymous said...

Thomas Andrews said...

I do not think lincoln should have let the CSA sucede from the USA because their whole reason to sucede was to keep slavery legal. If A member of the republican part had't been elected their would never have been a CSA i think. I don't agree on Lincoln's total War policy because it effects non-military people.

David Krukowski said...

i think its debateable whether or not he should have let them leave peacefully, becuase each option has its ups and downs. If he let them leave without a fight we:
(pros)
Could have saved countless soldier's lives
Would prevent millions of dollars in property damage
(cons)
Would have lost a huge chunk of the nation, creating 2 countries
Economic damage?
SLAVERY

But if lincoln were to fight:
(pros)
Suceeded in making the Nation whole again
no more SLAVERY
(cons)
Many deaths and property damage

Overall, i think we should have let them go peacefull and without a fight becuase later, maybe by hundreds of years even, their minds could be changed and they would rejoin with the Union. But bringing the dead back to life is undoable...

Elliott said...

Should the US let the South to secede peacefully. Deep question there, Mr. Croft. Countless amounts of lives would have been kept, and a new country would form. My answer to this question is no. The south had slavery, that is wrong, and people who do wrong get pay back. What I mean is, I see two different types of people. Those who do wrong, and those who do right. Slavery is one of those things that I feel is wrong, so part of me says, justice for those who have done wrong. But another part of me says, more lives would be saved if they kept things the way they were. So you end up with a very confused and slightly annoyed Elliott. This question asks one to think very deep into themselves to answer a moral question that answers more than you think. If you say yes, the south should have stayed they way it is, then people are liable to call you a racist. If you say no, people may say you are nihilistic, by saying that the lives should have been lost. I think that the soldiers of the Civil war died for the right reason. They died for something even greater then themselves, to stop tyranny and oppression. If they did not die, then slavery might still be going strong, causing human suffering. I took a good long look at the poll for this week, and was very surprised to see that most people thought that the USA should have done nothing about secession. Sometimes war is the only option to save justice. Yes, men did die in the Civil War, but like I said, it was for a good cause, no one should suffer because of skin color.

Lilly said...

Hmmm this is a hard question to answer. I think that even if Lincoln [and Congress] did not declare war on the CSA someone else would have with probably even greater tradgedy because it would have been in the [near or far]future and technology might have been better.
I also think that isf the CSA and USA split they would have eventualy come back together because they relied so heavily on each other for help.
EXAMPLE(S):
-The south(CSA) relied on the north(USA) for metal and industrial tools.
-The north(USA) relied on the south(CSA) for food and cotton.

BriannaG said...

I do not think that Lincoln should have left the Confederate States of America (CSA) alone to form a new country. The war was originally started to attempt to bring the CSA back into the Union, however the issue of slavery still stood. Eventually this tension about slavery between the north and the south would have to be resolved and no amount of compromising was going to make it go away. Even though it was such a fatal and costly war the lives of thousands of slaves were saved by the men who gave their lift to the war. The war was also about the Union fighting to prove that a democrat nation could survive. They wanted the Union to stay together and be strongly united, however the conflict with the CSA forming their own country made this impossible. They felt that they were a united nation and only if they worked together, united, could they stand strong.

Fred C said...

I think that Lincoln should not have let the CSA leave. Lincoln should have tryed to keep the CSA in the Union as much as he could of. If Lincon had not let them leave then none of the soldiers would have been lost. I also think that should not have wanted to start a war. The reseon is because none of the soldiers would have lost their lives. That would be have prevented over 500,000 americans from dieing. That means that all those people that had been killed could have helped us with War War 1. That is why I think that Lincoln should not have wagered for the war. That was mainly saying that he wanted to start a war againist Americans.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Lincoln and the Congress should have let the CSA secede peacefully. It was wrong. Maybe if Lincoln had not let them secede then he could have taught them something about not being racist. Maybe if they didn't secede the war wouldn't have been so chaotic and messy. Also, if the CSA stayed with the uion they would be complete. One united nation would be there and maybe some states would have disagreements but I don't think things would have been so hard and confusing. Many people died in the war. They helped bring peace back to earth. Should we let hundreds of thousands of people die because of an arguement between two sides of the country? I don't think so. Also if the CSA seperated forever, think about how much anger would be building up on both sides. Things could get way out of hand. All in all I think that the Congress and Abraham Lincoln should have done something to stop the southern states from seceeding.

Kim Pepper said...

I think that the war should have been prevented before it even happened. That seems impossible though, so I think the next best choice is that Lincoln and Congress should have waged war. America was one country and wasn't supposed to be two. Despite the amount of lives lost, the war wasn't all bad. The South returned to America and the whole country learned and will remember that slavery is wrong. If there were no war and Lincoln and Congress just let the CSA leave the Union, that country might still have legal slavery, even though people now know it is wrong. The war was a good choice so America can learn from its mistake. It was bound to happen sometime. Lives were changed, but for the better.

Kate D said...

I think Lincoln and the Congress did the right thing to not have the csa leave the union becuase of the constitution. The constitution was saying that we all are equal and we all are one nation. I think Lincoln was trying to just keep the way the nation started. And how we just got out of a war and going to be put in it another one. But i really think he was just trying to keep the nation from falling becuase we were united and it was very silly to be fighting with in your nation. Also if they just left the csa as an independent country than there could probably be more wars and more fighting and that would not solve anything. And there probably would be disagreements near the border of the two coutnrys. I do not think a war was a great way to get the csa back, but was the only way.

Kirby p said...

I think that Abraham did the right thing and declared war. The reason why the war was started was to get the south back to the union. Later in the war it turned to fighting for slavery. The North didn’t have to start the war because it could hold itself as its own country. The North was now fighting to free slaves from their owners. So it went down to fight for freedom, which was a major saying in the North. The other option was to not fight for freedom and completely demolish the saying of freedom. This is why I think Abraham did the right thing.

Emily G said...

I think that Lincoln should have let the CSA peacefully leave the Union. I say this because if you think about it enough, it’s almost a comparison to the Civil War. In the fact that it’s a territory that wants to have it’s own freedom and rights just like the thirteen colonies. The CSA also wanted to keep on using slaves instead of being forced to change a lifestyle it has kept for generations. I don’t think Congress should have declared war on the CSA, because then they’d be starting war with families that had relatives in both the south and north.

Amanda T said...

I think that Lincoln and the congress should have let the CSA leave the Union. I think this because then the 360,000 USA and 250,000 CSA soldiers wouldn’t have been lost. Along with that, all of the result of the war and effect that it had on civilians in the south wouldn’t have happened. Even though those things wouldn’t have happened, there still would have been some collisions and disagreements between the two. But I also think that Lincoln and the congress shouldn’t let the CSA leave the union. This is serves their purpose to go to war because it shows how much they though it was important for their country to stay together even though it may have some differences. I think that it would have been easier for the south to surrender and not revolt if the war hadn’t been so destructive, and the results of the war.

Unknown said...

If president Lincoln had allowed some states to leave the Union,then there would be no Union. There would be no United States. Any state could break off and become seperate. Lincoln had to preserve the nation as a whole or it might cease to exist. In his Gettysburg adress he explains why a nation of the people, by the people and for the people must not dissappear.

Anonymous said...

i think he shouuld of cuz then maybe he could negotiate with the other ppl and get a gpood deal for them to come back and try to make everything fair so if he didnt maybe the war wouldnt of happend the way it happened and not as many ppl would die

Michaela b said...

Lincoln should have let the CSA secede peacefully. Yes, unity and the original idea of the nation being whole brings up very good points, however if part of the nation has different values, morals and ideas, they should be able to secede without fuss. Seceding for the south should have been organized and civil (no pun intended). Were the lives of 61,000 people in total worth losing for something that could be handled delicately? I think that lincoln and the whole USA shouldnt have even cared because the CSA would have been an entirely different country.

Tyler L said...

I think Lincoln did the right thing. It's good that Lincoln refused to let the CSA leave the Union because it would have split the country in two making it very vulnerable for other countries to attack us. This is also good because Lincoln made the south stop slavery because it is wrong to own a person. How were countless peoples lives changed for the worse? Is this because now they had to do their own work? Even though many soldiers died, they died for the idea of equality and freedom for all in America. If Lincoln did not do this, what would America be called? Land of ...? It is important to stand up for your beliefs even if there is strong feelings against it. The United States is a better and stronger country because of Abe Lincoln.

Carne said...

Yes I think they should have waged war on the CSA.
The founders and soldiers worked and fought to hard to just our new country seperate and break apart. It would have left both sides weak. Another country could just come in and take over. Also each side would need something else from the other but these sides still would have had a great rift between them. Finally by the end of the war there were two purposes for the war to reunite the country and stop slavery. If the war was not started who knows what would have happened to our young country.

kevinp said...

In my opinion, I am unsure if I would've supported Lincolns decision or opposed it. It really depends on someones personal opinion. As you can see from looking at the very varied comments, people have mixed feelings about this.

If we had just let them go, they would have been very separate groups of individuals living in the same land. But would lives been saved? I cannot be sure, but in my opinion the Civil war was inevitable. Just imaging living on the same piece of land of someone who has the opposite believes of you. There WILL be and WAS extremist-USA citizens and extremist CSA citizens. These people would have invaded the opposing sides land to express their feelings, sparking a fire.

So when people say "they should have let the south secede peacefully" I do not know if the secession would really end peacefully. But on the other hand, if magically somehow everyone calmed down and had a cup of tea then yes, many thousands of lives would have been saved.

By declaring war the Union may have just been preventing this conflict from escalating. It may not make much scene at first reading this, after all they declared war, and many people were enraged. But by allowing the south to leave the nation, I think it would almost seam as if the south was still part of the country (not a good thing). Trade between the two halves would be abolished.

If the south did secede, why couldn't they re-join with the union after their feelings about slavery changed? They could.

katieb said...

I think lincoln had no choice. because the CSA believed in having slaves. If they stayed in the USA lincoln could have many ways to show them how slavery was bad. Showing the CSA slavery is wrong and bad would have saved many lives. After the civil war was won by the union, African Americans for many years were still not treated equally. The civil war abolished slavery.

Anonymous said...

I think that Lincoln should have waged this destructive war. I think this because that was one of the main points of this war other than abolishing slavery. That was to reunite the Union after southern states seceded. Since he did wage this war for unity and didn't give up, we now have a United States of America, which indeed includes the southern states that were in the Confederacy. If he had not waged the war, the confederacy had a chance of winning the war and becoming completely independent from the Union. Also, if he had not waged the war, then he would have gone down in history as just another U.S president and not stand out like JFK, George Washington or Obama. Also, at this time period, he not be at all popular to the Union. I think that if he had not given Grant the Union army to command, the surrender at Appomattox Courthouse would never had happened and Grant's strategies would have never come into effect, causing the Union to maybe not have surrendered as early and maybe they wouldn't have at all. This was obviously a good choice for Lincoln to choose and that's what made him go down in history. By Richie Wilhelm

Billy H said...

Should Lincoln and Congress have let the Confederate States of America (CSA) secede peacefully? This is a very tough question, but I think that if I had to choose a side, I'd say no, Lincoln and Congress shouldn't have let the CSA secede peacefully. I don't want to sound cold hearted when I acknowledge that a total of 610,000 soldiers died, and yet I still say there should have been a war. Sure the Union could have tried more diplomacy, but was the south done with diplomacy. Southern states saw a one-way road to abolishment of slavery. They thought they had but one choice, to secede. Now the time for negotiation seemed over. There were some good effects from this war. Yes hundreds of thousands of people died, but maybe these staggering numbers kept some angry and bitter minds at bay. I don't think many people wanted a war like this again, and had to put their feelings behind them in order to keep the new peace. Another reason was that slaves were freed. Putting and end to slavery was a big step in American history. And my last reason is that now the United States of America could function properly again. What would the north be without the south's farms? What would the south be without the north's factories? Now as one country, all the states can work together. So yes, I realize that there's a myriad number of deaths, but maybe we should be paying more attention to the long lasting effects.

Justin champ isaac said...

No,Lincoln and Congress should not have let the CSA simply leave the Union. If Csa left, we would not have the United States of America that we have today. Also all the Afro Americans would still be slaves in the south today. No one thought the war would last that long, or cause so much death and distruction. The whole history of our country would be changed if we hadn't had the Civil War.Even though the South and North fought agaibst each other, they are now part of a whole stronger nation. Our country would be different if the south had won the war. Even though Lincoln lost his life because of te war, our country is better off as the United states of America.

Anonymous said...

I think Lincoln should have let the CSA secede. I think that because the war wouldn't have happened. I don't know why the North cared so much about what the South did. I think lots of lives could have been saved if the war was not over. If the South has their own beliefs they should be aloud to have them. I don’t think one half of the country should be able to control the other. I wonder what the CSA would be like today. I wonder if USA would still be how it is now. Also lots of property and building where damaged but that wouldn't have happened if the South were aloud to secede.

James said...

No, Abraham Lincoln should not have simply let the Confederate States of America become its own country. He should not have done this for multiple reasons. One of those is that if he had simply let the Confederate States of America exist is because if he did there would be two countries right next to each other based on the same values. Also it could have lead to a threat later on because their border would be so large. Yes, it was a destructive war but when the war broke out it didn’t look like it was going to be. Lincoln had already made the decision to fight the war and if he pulled out and let them simply become the Confederate States of America it would make the United States of America look weak in the eyes of the world and that could have made it a target. Now you can see that it was such a destructive war and base your opinion s on that but at the time they only knew what they were going to be fighting for. Everything a side look at what came out of this war.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that President should have let the CSA secede from the union. I think it was good of Lincoln to declare war. The war was started because they wanted the south and north to be one union. As the war continued the north was also fighting to get rid of slavery. The North wanted to abolish slavery. They were fighting for slavery and wanted the north and south to be one nation. The south wanted to secede from the nation. I think that Lincoln made the right decision by declaring war.

Ben said...

I don't think that Lincoln didnt really have much of a choice if the Confederate States of America (CSA) would stay in the Union. I doubt that the CSA would have rejoined the Union just because Lincoln told them to. Usually, people might say, "What are you going to do about it?" This was one of these conflicts that wouldn't go out without a fight. One thing that I was surprised with was that 13 out of 35 say that Lincoln and the Congress should of let the CSA secede. Basically they are saying that they want to spare a couple thousand lives to save the millions of slaves that would die if slavery was continued. Enougn slaves have died already, why more? I think that Lincoln made a good choice that lincoln made to fight to get the Union back together. I don't think that the south had the right to leave the Union because in one of our American documents (sorry I can't remember which one) it said that states could not secede from the US. In my mind, and in many peoples minds, slavery. But I also think about the lives spared if the war had not happened. I think that it was worth having the war despite the number of soldiers that died because slavery has been going on for 200 years and if somehow you added up the pain of slavery in the US and pain in the Civil War, slavery would have much more. And If they did not, slavery and all of the suffering associated with it would still be happening. Also if Grant and Lincoln did not, there reputation would be toast or how about there name would be Mud. (Thats right I remembered it.) I think that the war was a good idea and I wouldn't change it and the outcome was good. Slavery has many inequities (english vocab word) and it's just not fair. We as in white people had been enslaving African-Americans for about 200 years and torturing and killing them. They have died for us and it was our time to die for them.

Anonymous said...

Ethan Lindblom

I don't believe that Lincoln should have let the CSA leave the USA I think he made the right decision. One Reason I think that is because although 360,000 USA soldiers died and 350,000 CSA soldiers died they died because most of them chose to join to war the slaves didn’t decide to be worked to death. And if he let the CSA leave then even more slaves would have bean imported and would have eventually died. Their still could have bean slaves today if they left and then their would have bean even more innocent people that have died and would still be dying than there were in the civil war. Thats Why I think he made the correct desision.

Serena G said...

I think Lincoln made the right decision not to let the CSA leave the Union. If he did let them leave, America today would be different. As well as life for some people. The united states of america would not be very united if the confederacy left the Union. There would be no union. But the one thing that may cause someone to think otherwise is all the soldiers whose lives were lost. The seige the union put on the CSA effected the civilians of the south, greatly. I think that by Lincoln creating the union between the south and the north it made the country stronger as a whole.

Jess D said...

In my opinion, Lincoln and the Congress did the right thing by going to war. If he just let the people seceded peacefully then they most likely wouldve stayed that way. Today, things would be a lot different. We might be enemies with the south now! Many people died in this war which is not good at all, but if they hadnt we wouldnt have been able to see the lesson of the war and how this country DID get better and succeded later on. This nation had to learn its lesson the hard way, and by fighting we learned that we are better off as one. This war also began the ending of slavery. without it, slavery might still be going on and blacks may not have had the freedom they do today. This is why i think Lincoln made the right choice. The Civil war was a HUGE turn in american history but without it, this nation might've been torn apart forever.

Anonymous said...

I think that Lincoln should have let the CSA secede peacefully. Too many people died in the war. If we let them be their own nation, they would have all been satisfied and so would we. It would not have effected us as badly as the war did. today would be alot different, but i don't think it would effect much. Even tho the north got what they wanted and won tension still remained. Some may say that if the CSA was formed that it would cause problems but it wouldn't becaus ethey would have no problem with us if we left them alone. i don't think it was worth losing so many lives and profit over. 610,000 people means 610,000 familes, it affected everyone and not just those in the war. Also when it came down to total war, no metter who you were you still had to pay.

Olivia D said...

I believe that Lincoln should not've let the CSA leave. They thought that owning slaves was good. But it is accuatly very bad. If the CSA had still belonged with the United States, Abe Lincoln could have told them or shown them how owning slaves was very bad. That could have probably avoided the Civil War, if they stayed. So many lives would be spared if only the CSA saw how wrong slavery is. African Americans were still not treated equally once the Civil War ended. Slavery was gotten rid of by teh Civil War. But african americans were still not treated as equally as they should have been after the civil war. If they just stayed in America, we could have avoided this thing and everything would've become a whole lot better.

Anonymous said...

IM ON A BOAT!

Tom Asc. rocks said...

I think Lincoln and the congress shouldn't of let the CSA leave the union. The reason i think the USA should of had this destructive war is because the United states of America wouldnt still be the USA. Also there could be problems between the two countries like war. War would effect both countries because they would be so close. Another reason is that there would be a lack of ports and central government. The USA would lack crops and food and the CSA would lack industry. So there would be fights for those necesities between the countries. Both countries wouldn't be as wealthy as they are today and the economic crisis going on right now would do even more damage to the countries. Another reason is that blacks wouldnt be free today and they would try to cross the border to the north to be free. So see it just wouldnt work out.

Anonymous said...

I think that Lincoln did the right thing by not letting them secede peacefully becuase there would have been fighting anyway to get them back into the Union. If he had let them secede peacefully and let them develope their own independent nation then they would have tryed to obtain the west aswell and our countries would collide constanly. Also, our countries would argue until war on the subject of slavery. Like I had mentioned earliar we would have fought with them and the results could have been more fatal than the civil war and may have broken the friendship of the two groups of states.

OliverT said...

I do not believe that Lincoln and The Congress should have let the CSA simply leave the Union. I do believe that they should have waged the war because it was for the good of the country. Without all the states working together both countries would fall apart. The North would be cut off from the trade that came on the Mississippi river. The South would fall into economic ruin because of their focus on power to the states not the support of central government. Also, even if Lincoln didn’t wage war on the CSA, other presidents in the future might go to war with the CSA. The CSA seceded because of different views, and those different views might lead to rising tempers between countries, and ultimately war. I believe that it was necessary to wage such a destructive war because it managed to pull the two countries back together so that they could become the single, strong country we have today.

Anonymous said...

I do not think that Lincon should have let the CSA go. Because there would be more fighting anyway. Because they should not be able to just get wat they want without a fight. Because they might get usd to gettitng what they want without working for it. So I think that it was right of Lincon to not let them go peacefully. Or else it could have ended up worse later on.

-Cassidy W.

Unknown said...

I think that Lincoln should have let the CSA peacfully leave the Union. I don't think it was right for him to not let them have their independence. How would people feel if we lost the fight against England to be an independent country? I don't think we'd be to happy. And that's exactly what the CSA is feeling since all they were fighting for was their independence. Even if Lincoln didn't want them to leave the Union he should have at least tried to compromise before starting this war. If we had compromised the outcome might have been different and probably not as many people would have died. I think it was wrong of Lincoln to challenge their right to freedom.

cornholio said...

I think they shouldn't have because as a whole America would be stronger then 2 separate parts. Also modern culture would be a lot different. Also northern American people might have experienced people fighting nearby there homes. the great depresion might not have hapend or other historic events might have not hapend.

Zach K said...

Yes, they should have let them leave the union leave peacefully because the goverment campained at first for freedom so if people wanted to seceed from the union they should be allowed to. Even thought I belive thst Cornel is right that they would have been stronger as a whole but they have the right in the constitution. I do belive however their would have been a war between the north and south anyway even if they did not seceed. Since they had to resolve this with fighting since they refused to agree on a treety it was better to let them go. If Lincon did not he would look like the worst leader that the U.S. ever. This was because he would have had fighting between his own country. So in€ turn the other countries might start to attack the U.S. becaue they know that they are week.

EmilyD said...

I believe that Lincoln and the Congress at that time should have let the confederate states secede. I know that there is a very large population of people who would disagree, but this is what I think. The reason I think this way is because in our constitution and declaration of independence it states clearly that if the current government is doing something you don't agree with, or think is wrong, then you have the right to do something about it. The southern states were just using their rightful power. In starting a war Lincoln and the Congress were being unconstitutional. Although there is a possibility that there would have been no end to slavery if Lincoln did not wage war, I believe that is not what would have happened. Once the CSA become a strong and independent country they most likely would have realized something was wrong with slavery and after a couple years they probably would have realized that it was immoral. I believe that it is inevitable that humans could go on with the changing world and not get rid of slavery therefore making waging war pointless because this way had the same outcome, but with a much lower death toll. Thousands of men were brutality murdered in this war. If there was no war then would have been no one killed, and a solution to the problem. I think that Lincoln made a wrong decision in beginning a war instead if letting the south use their rightful power to secede.

Anonymous said...

Billy Cicio

i think lincoln did the right thing. if he let the confederate states secede they could have slavery. and it would be wrong to war with them now if they had been a contry for so long. and slavery would probly get more and more popular and more states would secede.

courtneyl said...

i think that Lincoln and the Congress should have let the confederate states secede.Alot of people will disagree but i think that he should of.Because if the government is doing something you disagree with then you should speak up about it.I think that lincon made a bad decision.

Anonymous said...

Emily Anderson

I think that Lincoln should have let the CSA secede peacefully. This is my thought because if Lincoln thought that it was a bad idea, he should have let the CSA see that themselves and see the consequences that he thought would happen. I think that if there is something that you don't aree with you should stand up for and take a stand before someone does something that they will regret.

ryan oliver said...

yes i think that we definateley should have waged war against them because we would have never done been the friend we are today.