Look at the chart that comes up first when you click on the link below. The chart contains information about people's views on school testing. Answer the following questions in a formally-written paragraph:
- What do you see in the chart?
- What numbers strike you as interesting or significant?
- What do you think those numbers mean?
- What do you think about the amount and type of testing that Connecticut students experience?
(Minimum length for credit is 4 sentences; to get full credit, 8 sentences are necessary; find the chart using the link below)
http://www.gallup.com/poll/19552/Testing-Testing-Schools-Too-Much.aspx
64 comments:
im beat alex
I see in the chart that more and more people think there is too much testing. Meanwhile, less and less people think there isn't enough testing. Additionally, less and less people think the amount of testing is just right. While this is significan, this is not in anyway surprising. Due to the No Child Left Behind Act, there has been an increase in tests. People don't like tests and the poll reflects this view. Personally, I think there is too much testing. I think schools need to focus more on teaching students rather than testing them.
Ethan Lindblom,
I See that the percentedge of people that think there's too much emphisis on tests is growing. I also see that national totals are about the same as public school parents in every section but About the right amount. What Srikes me the most is how little the percentedge is for too much. I would think that it would be larger because of all the stress put on children. I think that the percentidge increase in too much means that schools have goten harder and harder since 1997. I agree that tests are geting harder. But I think that that is just becasue im going into high school next year and teachers are trying to get us ready.
I am not surprised that more and more people think kids are tested too much. I agree that kids are tested too much because even if a teacher only tests a certain amount other teachers test too. The kid winds up doing 4 tests aweek than 1 test a week. Teachers should talk and spead out their tests. I've had up to 3 tests in one day. What ever parents say kids don't have enough tests should live their kids lives. Tests would be Ok if parents didn't put a lot of pressure on you. The bottom line is that each year more is expected for testing.
I noticed that the amount of people who think that there is too much emphasis about the testing has gone up since 1997, but stayed the same in 2001 and 2002. Most Americans think that we give the right amout of emphasis but this has been on the down beat since 1997 excluding 2002. I think that people give too much emphasis. They tell you to do your best which presures you ontop what teachers want you to do. Now this is just 1 test imagine this times three or four. The most tests i have ever had in one day including quizes is 4. 4 tests, unbeliveable in 7th grade.
What do you think about the amount and type of testing that Connecticut students experience?
In this chart, I see percentages of Nation totals and Public school parents voted for how much emphasis on achievement testing(too much, not enough, and about the right amount). What I found interesting is that 1997-2005 the nation totals for the emphasis is too much kept rising year after year. Another interesting fact is most of the national totals from all the year of the emphasis being the right amount basically stayed the same. I think these numbers mean the percentage of votes from national totals and public school parent for each year on how they felt the emphasis on achievement testing. I feel the CMT tests aren't necessary. Well, I think the amount of tests for the CMTs should be lowered. Multiple tests in the span of a week can be stressful, annoying, and exhausting. I think the type of testing we take is fine.
In this chart I see the percentage of people that think we have too much testing, not enough testing, and just the right amount of testing. What strikes me is that the not enough testing column actually had some votes. People never like to be tested so I would assume that people wouldn’t vote for that. What doesn’t surprise me is that the not enough testing went down from 1997 because education gets harder all the time. These numbers mean that some people think that students don’t get tested enough, do get right amount of testing, and too much testing. I think that the amount of testing students get isn’t too bad. It is about the right amount I think we need. I think most people take CMT’s and that isn’t that bad so I don’t think people should be upset with the amount of testing.
By Melissa H.
I think the most striking number to me was how in 2002, more people believed there was too much testing than people who believed there wasnt enough. Overall, I can see that most people from the years 1997-2005 believe there is just the right amount of testing. The numbers also tell me that more school parents think there's too much testing. As a nation over all, people tend to think more that there isn't enough testing. But still, both the nation and parents agree there is just about the right amount of testing. On an average they agree about 40%-54% of the time. I think me, a conneticut student, recieves a fair amount of testing. It isn't too much, and not too little.
In the chart i see the percent of people who think there is too much, not enough, or emphasis on testing. i find it interesting that the percent of public school parents who though the testing was about right in 1997, went down in 2001 and up again in 2002 and then down again. i think that means somthing happend in 2001 to change the opinions of some parents. i think that there is just a little bit too much testing for the students in conneticut.
In the chart it would have to much, or to little for emphasis testing.
One number that surprises me was in 1997 most of the parents and the national totals agreed that there was about the right amount of testing. This surprises me because as the years progress some of the numbers seem to drop. And also as the year goes on the number of parents that think there is too much testing goes up. The number ranges from 19% to 39%. That is a big change from only a couple of years. I think those numbers mean that this most parents think that the testing is going up to much. I think that we get the right amount of testing. But If I had to choose between too much and to less it would be too much.
What struck me on the chart was the amount of parents and national total saying they have enough emphasis. I think if there was enough emphasis every kid would pass but there's always a few people who don't because they don't know the subject as much. What number struck me was that 57% of parent thought they got just the right amount, and in 2005 there was 47%. The numbers mean parents think there getting the right amount. I think we should spend a little bit mroe time on the subject until everyone can learn the subject or at least have an Idea. I think the amount of testing is not bad. We usually do not get that much testing.
Ryan McQueen
I thought that most people thinking that it is just the right amount was significant. i would vot for to much because there are too many tests. to many people voted for not enough.
I see in the charts that national people think the no one left behind act is good compared to the amoujnt of people who dont. IM suprised the amoutn of people who thinkt here is too mkuch testing went up from 1997 because their is mroe and more people fluncking today. I would think people would relize this by now. I also think the parents of the students sould not be voting because when they were in school then never had to take these tests. I personaly think there is too much testing because all it does it make kids not try because they get lazy after the first couple of tests.
i think we do to much testing. we have the CMT'S and normal tests. over the years the charts for teting went up 16% from 1997 to 2005.and next year we have twice the amount of tests.
THe charts show the amount of mpeople that agree with the no child left behind laws in certain periods of time. What struck me as interesting is the fact that parents are seeming like they believe there is too much testing now. It wasn't surpsing, though, because now that the CMT type tests are so common and standardized, they have become irritating and almost old fashioned, as compared to when they were first introduced as being important and mandatory for a child's development. Now that some parensts are beginning to realize how unneccesary this testing really is, the amount of people who think there is too much testing is increasing.
I dont think parents should even have the opportunity to vote in this poll because the actualy no child left behind law didn't require them to take the standardized tests such as CMTS that we have today. I realize they're just concerned for their childs development and entering the real world preperation, however they shouldn't really have that much control.
In this chart, i see the percentage of people that think we have too much testing, not enough testing, and just the right amount of testing. The percentage of people thinking that it is too much went up from 1997-2005. The percentage of people thinking that's its not enough went down from 1997-2005. And the percentage of people feeling that its about the right amount also went down from 1997-2005. What strikes me is that that the National totals and Public school parents totals of percentages for not enough testing is about the same. I would think that the National totals would be lot higher becuase they are thinking of the whole nation, and the public school parents are only thinking of their public school. I think that theses numbers mean that as the years go by, more people feel that there has been too much testing and that number will increase next year as well. I personally think that the amount of testing is the right amount. I think that becuase the most that we have for testing is about maybe three or two test a day in a week, which depending on what it is, is not that bad. I do not really care if when we have tests becuase i try to plan myself on how much i have to study for each subject.
In the chart I see that from 1997-2005 the nation totals for the emphasis kept rising year after year. The right amount just stayed about the same. Some people feel that testing has "overrun the classroom" and even possibly it's even "jeopardizing" the students'. I feel that testing is actually rather good. It allows the teachers and adults to see what methods work with which types of kids.
The chart shows what people think about high school students taking tests and if it'll help. The chart of the No Child Left Behind Law, says that most of the public school parent's favor the idea of making high schoolers take tests more than any of the other contenders. I feel that it they already took CMT's in middle school there shouldn't be anymore testing for the high school kids for the government.
What I see in the chart is that many of the students from a few years ago, thought that the testing was too little or just right. There was a lower percentage for people who thought there was too much emphasis on testing, but gradually increased which suprised me. I find it significant that the amount of people who thought that there was just enough emphasis on testing stayed about the same. I thought this was significant because it shows that teachers are teaching correctly. I think the numbers on the chart are telling us about how people feel about testing in Connecticut schools. What I think about the type of testing that the Connecticut students are experienceing is good becuase there is enough challenge in it, and it isn't straight foward. I think the tests that we take in school make you think harder, and study more frequently than you would usually. I am glad that the teachers reinforce studying for tests because otherwise, I think we might not get as many good grades as we do bad.
I think that this chart is very interesting. I see that the majority of people polled feel that there is about the right amount or too much focus on testing. I find this to be really interesting because it says that people think we have to large of an emphasis on testing and yet there is no changes made in the system. Another thing I found very intriguing and thought provoking was the increase in percentages. From 1997 to 2005 the percentage of people polled thinking there was too much testing increased over 15%. I interpreted this to mean that there was probably and increase in the emphasis on testing in school from 1997 to 2005. That is why the opinion that the emphasis on testing is to much has also gone up. This chart really did get me thinking. Maybe during my nest big test I will remember this!
In the first chart the people who think that there is too much testing has doubled since 1997. The people who think that it is not too much testing went down by a third. In the second chart even though 75% of Americans believe there is too much or just the right amount of testing, there is a push for testing in Ninth, Tenth,and eleventh grades. In fact 67% of the people favor testing in those grades. The number that strikes me as interesting is the 67% in favor because it is the same number whether the people have kids in school or not. I was suprised to see that a quarter of the districts had one school fail to make Adequate Yearly Progress. When the students were asked 57% said there was the right amount of testing. 47% believe it helps the teachers positvely use class room time.
In the first chart the people who think that there is too much testing has doubled since 1997. The people who think that it is not too much testing went down by a third. In the second chart even though 75% of Americans believe there is too much or just the right amount of testing, there is a push for testing in Ninth, Tenth,and eleventh grades. In fact 67% of the people favor testing in those grades. The number that strikes me as interesting is the 67% in favor because it is the same number whether the people have kids in school or not. I was suprised to see that a quarter of the districts had one school fail to make Adequate Yearly Progress. When the students were asked 57% said there was the right amount of testing. 47% believe it helps the teachers positvely use class room time.
I see in the chart that many people think thhere is too much testing. This number has almost doubled since 1999. The people who there should be more testing went down by almost a third. I belive there is too much testing with the cmts being such a big part of tests kids un school take and testss teacher give to students.
The first chart for 2005 tells that about 37% of people say that testing is to much while this is a magor increase from 1997 were the % of people who think testing is to much was onlt 20% I believe this is due to the fact that the No Child Left Behing Act was to put extra tests and averages for schools to administer and pass.
I see in the chart that many people are now voting for there being too much testing instead of too little. I think this is interesting because in earlier years there seemed to be too little testing. Now it seems that there is too much and we should make it less. The type of testing in Connecticut is the CMTS. Kids experience a plethora of different questions on all the subject from 4-8 grade. In high school, things get a lot more stressful. In my opinion, kids are getting slammed too much with testing. Many kids experience the responsibility of testing for college SATS or exams which also count as a big grade. If they don't do well, it effects a lot of their school lives.
I was surprised to see that a good amount of parents think that there is too much testing, and a very small amount think there isn't enough (and there is enough testing by the way!!) Though I would prefer that more parents say there is too much and less would say there is just the right amount, I guess I'm happy about it. To be honest, I thought more parents would say there isn't enough testing and stuff, but apperently not. And yes, I think we are tested to much. We have a stinking test/quiz practically every week!!!! And there should be less because of the CMT's, which kills my brain and causes 1/2 of it to explode. But you know me, I just like to complain....
I see in the chart that most people think the amount of testing is okay with too much coming in second. I also see that that the amount that thought it was too much increased since the no child left behind act was passed. I think it is interesting that this happen after it was passed and that the right amount decreased as well as the not emough group decreased. I find it odd that if most of the people on the first chart either thought it was enough or too much, that the second chart would show that they want testing in the high school grades also. I think the amount of testing is okay but would be too much in high school as we have to get ready for college testing with SAT's and not wory about these tests also. My cousin is a Junior and he took practice tests last year with classes on how to get better and is taking the SAT 3 times to get the best score he can. To add the other tests is too much, plus class work and class tests.
In this chart I see the different percentages on whether kids are being tested too much, just the right amount, or not enough testing. In the chart 17% said that there was not enough testing in 2005. This suprised me. I normally think parents think we get enough testing or too much. This striked me. It went down though 9%. This may be because the education has gotten harder. In 2005 39% of the public school's parents thought that there is too much testing going on. This may be because testing is getting harder so may be overwhelming for some people. I wasn't suprised to see that 43% of the public school's paretns thought that the testing in schools was the perfect amount. This means that they think the testing in schools doesn't need to slow down or become harder, but that they should just keep testing at their normal rate. All of these numbers mean whther or not we should give more tests, keep them the same, or stop testing. I think that we give just the right amount of testing at Shepaug. Sometimes it can maybe be overwhelming if we have more than one test during the week, but over-all I think the amount of testing is just right.
In the first chart, i see the years 1997-2005. I also see percents and a range of skills. Something about the graph that strikes me as surprising or significant are the 36% and 39% under the 2005 for too much testing. I think the numbers mean that parents and national schools have been testing their students too much based on the graph. I think there is a decent amount of testing and the type of testing in schools in Connecticut experience. Although if some schools perform more tests than others, than most of the students grades will decrease or increase depending on their performance. I personally think there should be different tests for different classes. For example; there should be note-taking tests which students would be able to use their notes on the test to show how well their note-taking is. Another type of test schools should use, is one at the end of every unite of something new they have learned. These type of tests will show how much of the unit they understand. For these tests, also, they should not be aloud to study, so it shows what they know as a normal student and how much they take in and focus on the subject right off the bat. If the majority of the class doesn't score well, then they should review the subject a little more until they get a 95% or more on the next tests. In the end, these tests would allow students to really focus on what they are learning and to really take it all in. If students would study, this would show that they would need other information to perform the task of something they have just recently learned. In the end, i personally think testing should e reduced to different types of testing for different subjects and classes depending on the unite they are working on in class.
KYLE BENNETT
i noticed that as not enough and about the right amount went down too mutch went up. i would disagree with this because how can there be too mutch emphsis on an test. before i saw the gragh i would have thought that just the right amount of emphsis would be the one going up and not going down little by littel. i was wondering what natinal totals ment?
Most of the people say there is about the right amount of testing. The percent of people saying there is too much testing has increased every year. I think this will keep going up because that is what it has been doing. I think there is to much testing at Shepaug. There are to many tests and most of them are to hard! We should have less testing. The percent of people feeling like there is about the right amount of testing is 40% in 2005 which is greater than the percent of too much testing. In 2005 36% say there is too much testing. Not enough of testing is the lowest with 17% but it should be lower.
The No Child Left Behind Act certainly had support in in the early 2000's. It has been gradually going down and shows no sign of stopping. Now more and more parents have agreed that their children are being given more tests than needed. In fact, the parents that wanted the schools to give more tests seem to have changed their mind as the percentage rates went down at a steady pace. Although almost half of people thought that children were given just the right amount of tests. This actually surprised me though. To see that 40% of parents think that their child is getting a fair amount of tests while the numbers of parents wanting less tests just didn't make sense to me. My best insight would be that parents believe that testing is an important way to check up on their child's understanding and that there shouldn't be too much or too little of it. Saying that I do agree with the 40%of people who say that schools are giving just the right amount of testing. I think Shepaug carries a good reputation with the amount of testing I receive as a student. I wouldn't any more or less than that.
I wasn't expecting these numbers. I was expecting much higher numbers and not for the to be a close as they are. The highest amount of seperation is only six percent. That means most of the nation public schools parents feel the same way. This is very significant. I don't not think there is too much tesing. I think it is just about perfect.
In the chart, I see that most people in every year think that there is about the right amount of testing in public schools. The number for "Too much emphasis" goes up a bit each year and made a huge climax in 2001. What strikes me as interesting is that alot of public school parents think there is too much emphasis on testing. I didnt realize that parents thought public schools put too much emphasis on testing, because parents dont really notice these things. I think these numbers mean that most schools give just the right amount of testing but others need to work on not giving as many tests. It doesnt say that most schools need to give more testing, because only a small percentage of people think that there is not enough emphasis on testing. I think that Connecticut students recieve too much testing at times. We have 2 tests at least once a week. Sometimes 3 a week. I think that teachers should stick to one test per week and have it on a Friday so that students can spend time each day preparing for that one test, not 2 or 3. Students would get better test grades if less tests were given.
From first glance, I see that since 1997 the amount of parents who believe there is there is too much polling has risen. This does not strike me as shocking because our nation has grown lazier, and more defensive for their children. I believe. Testing is a key for a teacher to evaluate a students understanding of material, and I feel that in our school there is a perfect amount of it. Testing also reinforces material that students learned. I also believe that our nation in generals' school program is strict enough, and therefore testing is no problem. A very decent amount of teaching is getting done.
In this chart I see peoples views on testing. People voted on that there was to much emphasis on testing, not enough, or just the right amount. The percentage of public school parent that thought emphasis on testing was too much increased 20% from 1997 to 2005. I thought that this was interesting. I think it is saying that people feel that achievement testing in public schools has increased. I think that we get a good amount of testing in our school. Also the level is good for everyone. However sometimes we get too many tests on the same day. This article was very cool.
In this chart I see that a strong magority of schools and parents both agree that students are getting the right amount of testing, however another large portion of schools and parents agree that students are being tested too much. The numbers that strike me as interesting would be how the largest majority think that students are getting the right amount of testing emphasis. I think those numbers probably mean that maybe parents and schools aren’t aware of how much testing students get. I think that students get the right amount of testing at this school, but another Conneticut school could possibly have too much testing.
I see that there is an increase that people are saying that there is too much. The magerity says that that it is the right amount. There is not as many people that say that there is not enough. The amount of people that say it is the right amount have been dicreasing. The amount of poeple that say it is not enough have also be droping. The only one that had gone up was that there was too much testing. In 1997 there was the magerty saying that it was the right amount, the amount was 54%. The people that said there was to much homework only had 20%. The people that said it was not enough had 28%. Over the years the only 2 that had moved down was that there was not enough and about the right amount.
Thomas Andrews
I see the level of emphasis in school testing around the USA. I found That half of the people thought the schools provided enough emphasis about public testing.I don't think the schools provide enough enphasis because we had a question on the sciencde CMT that we hadn't even learned yet and would only be doing by the end of the year.
I see that in this chart as the years go on less and less people think that there is too much testing. I also see that the people who think that there is not enough testing pretty much stayed the same throughout the recorded years. The numbers I found significant were the people who thought there was too much testing. I don't really think there is. In all but one year the parents of the kids in public schools thought there was too much testing. I would assume that the national totals would always think that there would be too much.I think that there is far too much testing espceially on Fridays. Also it seems as though everytime there is a science test, there is also a social studies test on the same day. It's really hard to study for two tests that are on the same day. Students could definetly get better grades if there weren't as many tests.
I see that in 1997, 20% of National Total and 19% of Public School Parents went to Too Much, 48% of National Total and 54% of Public School Parents went to About the Right Amount, and 28% of National Total and 26% of Public School Parents went to Not Enough. In 2001, 31% of National Total and 36% of Public School Parents went to Too Much, 44% of National Total and 43% of Public School Parents, and 22% of National Total and 20% of Public School Parents went to Not Enough. In 2002, 31% of National Total and 32 of Public School Parents went to Too Much, 47% of National Total and 54% of Public School Parents went to About the right Amount, and 19% of National Total and 14% of Public School Parents went to Not Enough. In 2004, 32% of National Total and 36% of Public School Parents went to Too Much, 40% of National Total and 43% Public School Parents went to About the Right Amount, and 22% of National Total and 20% Public School Parents went to Not Enough. In 2005, 36% of National Total and 39% of Public School Parents went to Too Much, 40% of National Total and 43% of Public School Parents went to About the Right Amount, and 17% of National Total and 17% of Public School Parents went to Not Enough. What sticks me to be interesting is that in 2005, both National Total, and Public School Parents had the same percentage of 17%.i think that these numbers mean what people views people who were in school and how they view testing. Along with people who were parents and their view on testing. I think that the amount and testing of students’ experience is about just right.
I see that in the chart the percent for too mouch emphasis on testing was steadily increasing between 1997-2005. I also see that the percent for about the right amount stayed in the 40's/50's range. A significant percentage to me was how the too muce percent and the about the right amount percent were all most the same in 2005 which means that the Nation and Public School Parents are starting to recognize that there is too much emphasis on tests. I personaly think that in Conneticut there are to many tests during the year, yet most of them are at our 8th grade level.
In the chart, I see that the percentage of people who think the emphasis on testing is about the right amount remians about the same. I also noticed that the percantage for those who think that there is too much emphasis on testing in schools somewhat increases over the years. The numbers I found interesting was the increasing percantage of too much emphasis on testing. It shows us that public school parents think that there is "too much" more than National totals does. In 2005, there was 36% of "National Totals" that thought there was too much emphasis. But Public school parents thought otherwise,apparently. It shows us that there was 39% of "Public schol parents" who thought there was too much. I think that these numbers mean that parents are more concerned about what the children are learning. I think that the amount of testing students in connecticut are taking is quite alot. Most schools give their students at least 1-3 tests a week. And, to me, it seems that if there is a science test, there is ussualy a social studies test on the same day. I believe that most students could have much higher grades without as many tests they have.
In this chart I see that the majority of people who voted think that there is about the right amount of emphasis on testing. From 1997 to 2005 less people voted that there is not enough emphasis on testing. The people who voted too much stayed about the same percentage from 1997 to 2005 with no major increases or decreases. I am not as much shocked as I am curious to why the percentage of people who voted not enough went down from 1997 to 2005. I agree with the majority. I thiknk that there is just about the right amount of emphasis on testing. There has been no major complaints about testing and the emphasis on it. I think that if the polling continued that the results would stay fairly close to 2005 but the people who voted not enough emphasis would decrease, following the pattern. What may also happen is that more people would agree with the majority and agree that there is just the right about of emphasis on testing. There is no major argument to support too much and not enough emphasis on testing, that is why I think it's about the right amount.
I saw that from 1997 to 2005 most people thought that the amount of testing in public schools was about right. I also saw that from the year 1997 to the year 2005 the percentage of people who thought there was too much emphasis on testing in public schools over all increased by 16%, the percentage of people who thought that there wasn’t enough emphasis on testing over all decreased by 11%, and the percentage of people who thought that the amount of testing in public schools was about right over all decreased 8%. I thought that it was interesting that between 1997 and 2001 the percentage of people who thought that there was too much emphasis on testing increased the most, and during those same years the percentage of people who thought that there was too little emphasis on testing decreased the most. I think this means that during those four years the emphasis on testing increased. I think that the amount of testing in schools is about right; all you have to do to achieve success is to study for them and have a positive attitude.
One thing that I see in the chart is that 1997-2005 national totals showed that little by little people thought they were giving to much testing. But for public school parents it was a contstant incline, From 1997-2001 it went up, but from 2001-2002 the percentage actually went down. One thing that struck me as significant was that there were more parents in 1997 who thought there wasn't enough testing than in 2005. I would think that there would be a higher percentage for not enough testing in 2005. I think this, because it seems that people are needing to have more and more education now hten in 1997. I think this means that people are starting to think that we are learning things more and more earlier than before and so there isn't as much need for testing. I think that testing is a good way to get you to remeber things though. I think that the type of testing that we have now is starting to challenge us more and helps us remeer things more easily.
In 2005 people wanted MORE testing than in 1997. But in 2002 public school parents thought that more tests were needed than in 2005. I thought that it was interesting that the people who wanted more testing went down, down, up, down.
From 1997 to 2005 the amount of national totals has gone up in saying that too much emphasis is put on testing. Therefore national totals have gone down in saying there is not enough emphasis, 28% to 17%. National totals have also gone done 48% to 40%, in saying that the amount of emphasis is just right. This must mean that many people feel that schools across the nation are overdoing the emphasis on testing. Some people say that this over-emphasis can ruin a students learning.I find it interesting that in 1997 48% of the nation thought the emphasis was just right. But in 2005, only 40% of the nation thought it was just right. This means students must have been doing worst on tests. It makes sense that more kids are struggling with school. Drop-out rates have gone up over the years. In my school I do not feel "overrun" or "jeopardized" by any emphasis on tests. I actually fail to realize how this emphasis can ruin a kids learning.Basically, I do not feel overwhelmed by any tests at Shepaug.
The chart shows that from 1997 to 2005 the percent of people who think that there is too much emphasis on testing has been increasing. The percent of people who feel that there is too much emphasis on testing has been steadily declining. It does not strike me as surprising because there has been some talk about just teaching the test. It also shows that the national average for too much emphasis is lower than that of public schools. This means that more parents with kids in private school feel that kids are getting just the right amount of emphasis. The students in Connecticut take the CMTs once a year. I do not really feel that it is too much testing because it doesn’t count on your grade it is mainly just to judge the school on how it is doing. This can lead to schools just teaching what is on the test because they want to look good.
The chart shows weather or not kids are being tested enough, just right, or too little. In the chart it shows that in 2005, 43% of parents say that there is just the right amount of testing being done in public schools. That is almost half. What I though was really interesting was to see that 39% of parents think that there is to much testing in public schools. I would think that the percentage would be smaller because parents want to see were there kids are. How they are improving. I think that there is a good amount of testing right now in public schools because its not an overwhelming feeling, although we do sometimes get to much testing. But for the most part I think that their is just enough.
The chart shows that a majority of people feel the amount of testing is right. The people who feel that there is too much testing has increased steadily since 1997. The people who feel that there is not enough testing has declined since then. The majority of people favor expanding the test to include grades 9,10,11. It dosen't matter too much if they are school parents or have no children in school. The national average is the same. I think that the testing is not too much. However, I think that the tests might be too difficult for some students to handle.
One thing I noticed looking at this chart was that the majority of the voters in this poll thought that the emphasis on testing was about the right amount. This result continued to appear throughout the entire chart, from 1997-2005. What I found surprising was that the percent of people who find that the emphasis on testing is too much has been increasing. This percent for the national totals increased from 20% in 1997 to 36% in 2005. That's an increase of 16%. The chart shows that in 1997 only 19% of public school parents thought that the emphasis on testing was too much. Compared to in 2005 39% of public school parents felt that there was too much emphasis being put on testing, that is a 20% increase! These shocking raises show that between 1997 and 2005 there has been an increase on the emphasis put on testing.
by juan salazar
in the chart i see that in 1997 19% of public school parents do too much.26% say its not enough.also 54% say its about the right amount.what interest me is the amount of all the % either increased and decreased.i think the numbers mean that schools over all either do to much, dont do enough, or even do a right amount.i think the schools do too much because they the type of testing we do in connecticut is harder but some times easyer.
This chart shows whether or not students are being tested enough or too little. Most parents whose kids attend public schools say that there is just the right amount of testing. That is almost half. I can understand this because parents see the effects of testing on kids stress level, but parents also want to assess how their kids are doing and if they are improving in school. I am not surprised that only 17% of people say that there is not enough testing because we do have a decent amount of tests at our schools. I think that if they raised the number of tests, then students would start complaining because their used to the lower amount of tests. I think that we have a good amount of testing in Connecticut. I don't think that the CMTs are hard and I think that we should keep them. The only thing is that sometimes we have a couple of tests on the same day and I think that the teachers should communicate more and tell each other when they are giving out tests and what they are giving for homework.
Well from what i see recently apparently testing "to much" option levels have been increasing. Although i actually like testing because it usually removes all other forms of homework from that class. Also in that class all we do is do the test then sit. also the not the right amount option has been wobbling a little bit so it seems.
I see in too much 2005 public school parents is 39%. And in about the right amout in 1997 public school parents is 54%.The numbers that strike me is that in 1997 the students in public school parents is 54%.I think that in 9,10,11,12 should be more challage tests because it prepairs you for college. I think the numbers mean that public school parents like to have the right amount for their kids.
in 1997 public school parents mostly thought that there was just the right amount of testing. these amounts stay the same through 2005. second in 1997 26% of parents thought that there was not enough testing, 2001 to 2005 more people said there was too much testing. parents must have found out in 2000 or so that there was alot more testing than they thought. the national totals are about the same percentage as the public school parents.
Ok, ok ok ok ok. Wow, how come I’m not surprised by this information? This kind of seems like a no brainier, no kid likes to take tests, DUH. Honestly, how many kids do you know that say, “Wow! I have a math test!! I’m so pumped!!!” well not me at least. I did however find it surprising that 17% of people found that there was not enough testing. And I know I’m not going out on a limb when I say I would not get along with those people. I think that these numbers mean that we all remember how awful test taking is. I mean, CMT’s, really? Do you think the state is really that concerned with us? Maybe some of them, but I have a feeling that some people who work at grading the CMT’s will say to themselves, “Hm, I think I need a real job.” Really? who gets paid for grading children’s work? But I guess what I’, really trying to say is that I’m not surprised by the charts shown.
I can see in this chart that the majority of people asked in this poll thought there is the right amount of emphasis on acheivment testing. This was evident in both "public school parents", and "national totals" catigories. I also notice that the percentage of people who thought there was too little, decrased from 1997 to 2005.The national total of people who thought there was too little emphasis was 28% in 1997, and was 17% in 2005. What strikes me as interesting was that in 1997 there was such a low percentage of people who thought there was too much emphasis. I think this is interesting because, I think that there is too much emphasis, and 20% as the national total is ver. small. I think we have too many tests during the CMT week. I for one am not a big fan of standerdized testing due to the fact that it desn't show the full capability of some students who don't test well. We also have two weeks streight of testing. As you know three maths, two reading comprehensions, and another reading, and two writing objectives make up the tests. This is too much, they are hour long (for the most part) and do not adequetly show a teachers performance over the course of the school year. Why should a school be peiniized, if for what ever reason the students who attend that school do not test well but still write, read, participate, and work on projects very well. I think overall that we have too much testing, and it does not show the school preformance well.
The chart shows that in 1997 just under half the votes where for just the right amount of emphasis on testing. The amount of votes for just the right amount had decreased from that time and only about 40%. I believe we have the right amount of testing. I believe the numbers are the percentage of votes for each belief about the testing.
In this chart it shows the nation feeling of public schools testing. I see in the chart in 1997 people thought there wasn't enough testing going on. Now they think there is too much testing. I also noticed that it progressed to too much testing as the years went on. It strikes me that even 17% of the people these days would think theres not enough testing. I think these numbers mean that there is too much testing. I think C.T. student have to much testing. I think atleast 30% of people would agree with me that there is too much testing on the students. So hopefully the testers will relize they need to ease up on the testing.
- Tom Ascenzi
In 1997 the parents of puplic school children mostly thought that there was just enough.These amounts stay the same through 2005Second in 1997 26% of parents thought that there was not enough testing.I think that schools in C.T have to much testing. 30% of people agree with this statement.
Billy Cicio
i think people care to much about testing. i think teachers should look at your grades from the whole year not just one test. some testing is ok but there is to much prssure on students about the test. wich efects there grade
Tim Meeker said...
Well of course most of the people who voted said that the school puts to much emphasis on the testing, it is what it is, theres not much you can do about that,i mean you could study but thats about it, so if you don't, oh well. I'm suprised anyone said not enough emphasis, because honestly not one person out there is going to jump out of bed in the morning saying, oh boy i hope theres a test today. Frankly, i think the testing is difficult, but not challenging, not much testing either.
Post a Comment