Sunday, December 14, 2008

Political Corruption!!

Corrupt-adjective-guilty of dishonest practices, as bribery; lacking integrity; crooked

Read the following article: http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3751031
Then, answer these questions in a paragraph:
  • Are you shocked by the accusations against Governor Blagojevich?
  • What do you think the Governor should do now? Should he resign?
  • What do you think makes a politician do something corrupt?

With 4+ sentences, the best grade you can get is a 'B.' To get an 'A' you need to do the following:

  • write 8+ sentences
  • use details from the article in your comment
  • include a topic sentence and a concluding sentence in your paragraph

55 comments:

Steve L said...

Considering what is happening in our economy this does not suprise me at all because everyone is doing what they can to get money. The governor should either resign or be removed. He violated a law and should be punished acordingly. i think that money and power corrupts a politician.

Ethan L said...

I was shocked by Rod Blagojevich's actions because as illonios state govenor i would think he would take more responcible actions to elect a new senator . Althogh it is Gov. Blagojevich's duty to elect a new senater i don't think he should use it to his and his familys benifit. I think Blagojevich should step from office because he knows what he did rong and that it wasn't leagle. I think that policians go couropt because they eather have to much power or just want more.

Tyler L said...

Rod Blagojevich was tring to sell the senate seat for his own benifit. He was arrested for this action on Tuesday. He will not step down from senate. I am surprised that he would risk his job for more money. If I were him I would step down for the least amount of charges possibile. If he does not step down he will be impeached. If he gets impeached he will also be embarressed. It is also notright to be selling a senate seat to the highest bidder.
People in a situation of power will get power hungry and want more money.

Sean I. said...

I am shocked but as steven said with economy it is not that much of a surpise. Because he broke a law he should resign and if he doesn't he will probaly get impeached. According to CNN the Illnois state offical declare Governor Blagojevich unfit to serve. I think if a politition breaks a major law or is involved in a scandel they should be consided corrupt. All corrupt polititions should step down and face the law.

Michael Croft said...

Do you think you could avoid becoming power-hungry if you were a state governor?

Kelly Sullivan said...

I am a little shocked at what the govener did. But our country is in such bad shape that i am not aslo not suprised that he did that. Why would he risk his job just to get more money I think that is not smart at all. Rod Blagojevich should resign because if he does not then he will be empeached. I think that it would be hard to not become power hungary. But if you were the state governor then you would have to control the power you have.

Michael Maurial said...

I was not to shocked from his actions on selling the seat to the hiighest bidder for his families benefit. I think it would matter either if he resigned or not, he's going to get empeached anyway. I think you can avoid bieng power hungry if you were state governer. You also have to be able to control the power you have. What I think would make a poltician do soemthing this corrupt is money.

Alex said...

I am not at all shocked by the accusations against Blagojevich. We are after all talking about Illinois. So far, four Illinois governors have gone to jail in the last 35 years. Blagojevich should resign. However, he is to arrogant to do so. I think arrogance is one factor that makes him and other politicians corrupt. These arrogant politicians think they can get away with being corrupt. The other factor that makes him corrupt is the fact that he's from Illinois.

Anonymous said...

Im very shocked that he would do such a thing. A governor is there to serve the people and not be a aragent person trying to get more financal outcome. He sould be impeached and go to jail because its our choose who sould be in our gov. I think he became power hungry. This would cause him to do such a thing but he sould be in the mind set of being our servent for polital situations. This shows you what money can do to some people.

TIffany Arias said...

Considering what is happening in our economy this does not suprise me at all because everyone is doing what they can to get money. I think you can avoid bieng power hungry if you were state governer.Also he broke the law and thats well illegal so he should resign because no one wants a bad govener.All corrupt polititions should step down and face the law.

Anonymous said...

I am not shocked by the accusations against Blagojevich because like some other people have said, our country is in an economic crisis and people will try to do whatever they can to get money that they need to survive. It really doesn't matter to me, if he gets kicked out or resigns, because either way he wont be the governer anymore. I think that now with the economic crisis we are having is one of the main reasons that poloticians do corrupt things, like stel money from their office or buisness or do what Bagojevich did. Like Tiffany said, the man broke the law and he should be punished for that, like we were talking about in social studies, just because he is a governer doesn't mean that he can be treated leagally any differenly than other criminals. Another reason is like Alex said is that, yes we are talking about Illinois, and politicians there aren't always the best, legal wise, and so many of them have gone to jail, that is another reason I am really not shoked be this event. I think that this man could have avoided being power hungry, or any governer for that matter. All they have to do is remember that they are there for a reason, to help their state and country. If some Governer goes all wacko and starts taking random money from people and the state, that will be wrong. States can avoid this with one simple tip. All you have to do is make sure that you check the persons background info as carefully as you can, and make sure that when you interview them, you are as thorough as possibel, and then you know that the candidate will not be a mistake, and you will never regret choosing that person. So in cloncliusion, I am not shocked cause appearently the man did what he had to do to protect his family. Evern though this might not have been the right thing to do, he did what he had to do to protect him and his family. So a word to Bagojevich, MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST RESIGN, it would feel much better than getting kicked out!
-Emily Anderson

Anonymous said...

i think that that is a very stupid idea and i am not that shocked because of the economic issues and so everyone is making there last stand to get money. and i think that its not smart at all to do something like this because it is not a valid way to get someone to be a senate . and it doesnt srprise me that it was someone in the goverment because our people that run in the goverment are dishonest and we cant really trust them because of things like this

Anonymous said...

I think the government is becoming really stupid. I thought the government was suposed (I know I spelled that wrong) for the PEOPLE!!!! Now it's just....blah. I think the governer of Illonois should resign or be forcifully removed. He was stupid and an idiot to do that (man I have absolutly nothing nice to say today). I'm just surprised someone didn't do it sooner. I think it is too much power that makes pepole do dumb and idiotic stuff like that. They think that because they are a figure of authority or power, nothing they do is illegal. They government is goingn totally mental.

Emily Svenningsen said...

I am very shocked about this because a governor is supposed to be there for us, not to be so selfish. I can understand why he might do such a thing since we have a such a bad economy at this time, but it is not right to do what he did. I definetley think that he should resign, and at the moment, I think it would be the right idea to apologize, even though he will most likely not do such a thing. I think poloticians do things currupt like that just for money and mere pleasure. I'm pretty sure that many of the people would think that money would be one of the top five in a list of "Most important."

Anonymous said...

I am shocked about the accusations about Governor Blagojevich because the article hardly has any evidence that I see proving that he tried to sell Obama’s seat in Congress. The only evidence they gave was a recorded conversation, and Governor Blagojevich didn’t even mention anything about selling a seat in Congress, just how he had something that was worth a lot, which he wouldn’t give up. He could be implying the seat in Congress, but there is no real proof that he is. It also just said what he was asking for the Congress seat, and how long the police had been tracking him. But, I think that he should resign because if people think he is guilty, he could be removed from Congress and face decades in jail. The people seem pretty serious about this, and I think most believe that he is guilty. I think that money and greediness and the opportunity to do something corrupt makes a politician do something corrupt. If the person has this opportunity to get all this money and sell Obama’s seat in Congress, I think that if you have the right person he or she is most likely to do so, in any example. Although, I am also not shocked because a person with that opportunity would maybe sell the seat, and some people are just really greedy for money. In conclusion, I think that to accuse Governor Blagojevich of this crime, they need more evidence, from my perspective as the reader of this article.

Elliott said...

Wow. Just wow. What has this state senate come to? Where we have people who try to sell the position of state senate. I mean what would happen if Blagojevich did not get caught? Hey, we might have seen George W. As state senator of Illinois. Ok I just realized how scary that would be, NEVER MIND. Although it would be very hard to get away with selling a senate position, it could have been done. But honestly I’m sure that Blagojevich has plenty of money, and does not need to sell senate position to get a little extra cash. Which brings me to a good question, why would Blagojevich do such a thing? The answer to that question may be more difficult to solve then it sounds, or maybe he will just tell us, we don’t know. But concerning the question if he should resign, well, I most certainly would in his situation. I don’t think that he really wants to spend the rest of his political career listening to jokes made against him on Saturday Night Live. So yes if I were in his position I would just say, “Yeah I think my time is done,” and be through with it, but, then again what do I know?

Anonymous said...

I think it was bad that he did that. People probaly look up to him and he is seting a bad example. I think it would be hard to not be power hungary if you were a state governor. I think that because you would feel important and like you can do anything but he went to far. I think he should be empeached and go to jail because he did a bad thing. It would be smart for him to resign because it would be less harsh then getting empeached beacuse he would not have been told to leave. I think it was very stupid of him beacuse he already has enough money but he could loose his job just to get a little bit more money. He is rich so why would he need more money? There is no real evidence aganist him so I don't know if he will resign.

Ellery R said...

What Senator Blagojavich has done is completly unacceptible. I am shocked that Blagojavich would do such a thing as selling a senate seat for personal benefit. For example, He "wanted a substantial salary for himself at a nonprofit foundation or a union-affiliated organization, a spot for his wife on a corporate board, campaign money, and a position in Obama's Cabinet or an ambassadorship." according to the FBI. To my understanding I believe someone would do this out of greed. People can be very greedy and the Senator being in such a powerful seat like the Illinois Governor is no exception. I think that the governor should resign, because he isn't doing anything now to benefit Illinois. I mean to say that now that he has been arrested, he should step down to avoid any further corruption. I think if a were a state governor I wouldn't be corrupt. This is because now reading this article I know what damage it can cause on a state. In all I believe that this is a situation that has been delt with and that I belive that Blagojavich should step down.

kevinp said...

No, I am not shocked by the accusations against Blagojevich. There have been numerous corrupt politicians in the past, and it is inevitable that history will be repeated. Alex stated that there have been four other Illinois governors who have been thrown in jail during the last 35 years, so it is not hard to believe that this governor is following that same path. If the accusations are true (which I believe are) and the Governor has a self-conscious, he will confess to his unacceptable act. I would not be surprised though, if he did not confess to his crime and was found guilty by a jury. Things that makes a politician become corrupt would include greed, and money. The article says that Blagojevich was going to sell the Senate seat to the highest bidder. If this is true, the Governor would be money-hungry, and therefore be a corrupt politician. It also says that he was "talking about how he could use the Senate seat for his and his family's benefits". This is showing greed, and that the Governor cares less about our economy, and who takes the seat then how well his family is doing during our current recession.

kevinp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kevinp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirby p said...

I am not that shocked because Illinois has had a bad past with the government. There have been 4 other governors put in jail since 1970 in Illinois. Also it is that hard for people to not want money, sadly money is one of the most important things to people. I think governor Blagojevich should just resign and try and get out of the spot light and the media. The media and attention just makes his case worsen because everyone knows about it and everyone would be against you. Also I would tell the truth I don’t know if the governor is lying or not but if he is proven wrong he will go jail more and everyone will have more hate for him. I think that money makes politicians go corrupt because people care about money a lot because it can get people things they really want. Just like the article said that Blagojevich said that the money would help benefit his family. I think if the governor did do it then it was a really bad idea because they he is going to going to jail for a long time.

Lilly said...

___________________________________
Related Story:
Power should be given to those who:
a) don't want it
I read a book about that idea...
the people who revolted against the rulers ideas and hated the idea that the would become them were sent to a city where the rulers lived. But the rulers turned out to be the people who didnt like the rules and said something about it and everyone thought they went to jail b/cause they were never seen again.

Okay end of story!__________________________________
BLOG:
I am not realy shocked at all because something of this sort was bound to happen sooner or later. All I have to say is lets hope it doesnt happen more often now. I think he should resign and find another job and spend more time with his family because he said he did it for them(i know this isnt a valid excuse but ah well).
What makes a politician corupt you say. I say power and the want for more also known as GREED.BYE!

Amanda T said...

I’m shocked because of the way that Governor Blagojevich is thinking more about what he could get out of his seat in the senate rather than helping to find the right person to help the people. It is understandable that he could be doing this because of economic issues but that is no excuse, but is it really worth to risk so much for something like that? I think that he should step down and not do another thing. This is because he is already in a little over his head with the charges that he could possible get for “selling he seat”. I think that a Politian could do something corrupt because if they did what Governor Blagojevich did they cloud end up power hungry along with letting down the people of their state.

EmilyD said...

The article "Corruption in the Land of Lincoln was really interesting. I am sorry to say that I was not very surprised to find out that a senator was using his power to get money. This is a very hard time and I could easily see why he would try to sell the seat in The House. I am most certainly not saying this is right it is immoral and unethical. I absolutely think Governor Blagojevich should resign. He was doing something wrong and he got caught, therefore he should accept it and resign. He should let someone more dignified and respectable take his place. I think that there are many things in the political world that can cause someone to become corrupt. One thing is with great power comes great responsibility and maybe he really didn't have enough wisdom or under to much pressure to see what the right thing to do was. That could happen to many people so i think we should keep a close eye on all people in power. Doing something bad is a lot easier than doing something good so it takes a really strong person to chose to do the good path.

Emily G said...

Surprisingly, I’m not all that shocked about the accusations against Govenor Blagojevich. Mainly because what he did was really horrible, considering the fact that he broke one of the most major rules in the Constitution, “The people vote for their delegates,” what he did takes away the whole meaning of America letting you choose your leaders! I definatly think that Blagojevich should resign, because he’s only making it harder on himself if he gets impeached. I think what makes a politcian corrupt would either have to be a personal issue or maybe all that power went to their heads or something

Jess D said...

Im really disappointed in the senators crime. What kind of senaotr would try and sell a seat in congress for "personal benifit?" I really don't get it. He should definatly resign. And if he doesn't the people should throw him out! i don't understand why he would sink to this level. Maybe he needed the money or something. That could definitly make a politician corrupt is if they are in some sort of trouble. Another reason would be that they are greedy and want more power. I wonder what punishment this senator will get.

Kate D said...

Yes, I am shocked of the accusation against Governor Blagojevich because a senate seat in a way represents people of that state. So if a senate seat is getting bid on, you dont really know if the person who bought the seat will represent the people well enough. I think that Governor Blagojevich should resign. I think this because he there are only two oppositions for him to do. He can ether resign, or if he does not resign before the end of the impeachment process, the senate could kick him out! So if i was him, i would probably leave know. I think that what makes a politician do something corrupt is the power. The power of the fact that they think they are so high up. People are asking them advise and they think that because people will trust them so much they can do no wrong. The power is getting to their heads and they think that they can do what ever they want.

BriannaG said...

I think what Blagojavich did was completely corrupt. However I am not shocked that he did this. People are for the most part very greedy and he had a chance to not only make a lot of money but to get things for himself and his family as well. Politicians become corrupt when they get to much power. Blagojavich was given the power to chose a senator to replace Obama. When he felt like he had all that power he became corrupt and greedy and wanted more instead of being content with what he had. This caused him to try and sell Obama's senate seat. I think that Blagojavich should resign before he gets into more trouble. He has done something that is not good for the state and he should step down.

Anonymous said...

Thomas ANdrews



I think that he deserves all the charges against him. corruption is a very bad thing in a democratic society. The governor should definetely resign now to save himself the extra embarresement. Most politicians i believe that when they get into that circle of power they believe they are "above the law" and instead of helping the people who they represent they boost there own personel family fortune. A great example of a corrupt polician is ex-governer spitzer from new York. many corrupt leader with power like spitzer speak up against things that they themself do.

James said...

No, I’m not surprised that Blagojevich tried to sell Obama’s Senate seat. He was trying to get money isn’t that what most people want money and power. That is why you see things like savings and loan scandals except Blagojevich just came straight out and tried to sell the senate seat. It would be smart for him to resign so he faces minimal jail time. I don’t think that he should even have the opportunity to resign he has been arrested and he should be yanked from office as soon as he was arrested. Money and power that is what makes politicians corrupt. They want to move up the political chain and to do that it helps to have more money. That is probably what made Blagojevich sell the senate seat and because he tried to sell the senate seat he should face jail time.

Anonymous said...

Ryan McQueen




i was shocked by the accusations against Governor Blagojevich because he is a politician, and he should make more responsible decisions on how he is going to raise money for him and his family. i think that the governor should resign and accept the punishment for his actions. he broke a law, and should be put to trial. i think money and greed is what corrupts a politician

Richie W. said...

I am very shocked that this governor thought he could just sell an important seat in Senate. IT was probably very hard to get, so it seems like the only reason that he got it was so he could sell it. The governor should just resign. I don't think he deserves, or has the responsibility, for this important job. When a politician feels that he is really important, he wants more power and money. He felt that appointing this job to someone gave him a sense of more power. He would also receive a great deal of money. If I were in office in anyway, I would feel a responsibility to follow through in the job I'm appointed and I would definitely not be so stupid as to try and sell it. This is all my opinion. This blog was posted by Richie W.

Unknown said...

The accusations against the governor are defintely shocking. If they are true, it shows him to be to be a self serving,dishonest,criminal. He was elected to serve his state and he betrayed the public trust. If he does not resign he will do more harm to an already bad situation in government. Some politicians get to their positions and see themselves as powerful and above the law. Some of them cross the line and do corrupt,illegal things.

Olivia D said...

I was astonished at the accusations against Governer Blagojevich. I couldn't belive that he would just sell a very important seat to a "highest bidder." If i was him, I would resign and take back everything I did. He should know by now that the Illnois lawmakers will do something soon, and he will be stripped of his power as Governer. In the article, it says "If Blagojevich doesn't resign, he will likely face impeachment. If he's convicted of everything he has been charged with, he could spend decades in federal prison." If i were him and knew this, i would've immediatly resigned. But thankfully, he has recently been arrested. I belive that power and greed made him do such a horrible thing. Sure, if i were Governer, i would have ideas about abusing my power. But I, personally, would never do such a thing. I suppose that Blagojevich would,though. (Apparently) It seems to me that he has become greedy with power, due to what the FBI stated: "Blagojevich wanted a "substantial" salary for himself at a nonprofit foundation or a union-affiliated organization, a spot for his wife on a corporate board, campaign money, and a position in Obama's Cabinet or an ambassadorship." He has truely been abusing his power. At least he won't be doing so any more, due to him bieng arrested.

Carne said...

I think this is just terrible. The person who takes Obama's seat should be chosen by the people not sold away. I have already heard something on the Colbert Report which showed an incriminating quote caught on tape which more than this because there was explicit language but it basicly saying that "why would I just give it away when i could get a lot of money for it." Everythhing about this is moral wrong but more importantly illiegal. Obama is completely about Blagojevich stepping down as Governor. Or I think the alternative of having congress kicking him out before the impeachment case is over is insult to injury. Also John Harris the Cheif of Staff should get impeached for this also. He was caught through wire tapping engaging in in corrupt activities. So in conclusion Governor Rod Blagojevich should resign as Governor and face the consaquinces of his actions.

Carne said...

I think this is just terrible. The person who takes Obama's seat should be chosen by the people not sold away. I have already heard something on the Colbert Report which showed an incriminating quote caught on tape which more than this because there was explicit language but it basicly saying that "why would I just give it away when i could get a lot of money for it." Everythhing about this is moral wrong but more importantly illiegal. Obama is completely about Blagojevich stepping down as Governor. Or I think the alternative of having congress kicking him out before the impeachment case is over is insult to injury. Also John Harris the Cheif of Staff should get impeached for this also. He was caught through wire tapping engaging in in corrupt activities. So in conclusion Governor Rod Blagojevich should resign as Governor and face the consaquinces of his actions.

Unknown said...

I am not partucularly shocked by the accusations against him. I am not shocked because I think it's just greed that drove him toward it. And considering most people today, greed isn't as shocking as it used to be. I think the governor should resign. He should resign, because if he doesn't he could be charged with serious consiquences. He will still get punished anyway, but it might be less harsh if he resigns now. Like I said before, I think greed is one of the most common things that drives a politician to do something corrupt. There are probably many more things that could make someone do something like that, but greed is probably what drove him this time.

OliverT said...

I am not shocked by the accusations against Governor Blagojevich. I am used to people in high places abusing their power, especially for money. It comes as no surprise that he would be willing to sell a seat in the senate, considering the financial crisis. The only part that is mildly shocking is that Blagojevich dared to sell the president elect’s seat. Though not physically any different from anyone else’s seat, I don’t think that he would want to mess with the new president. I think that he should resign and just leave quietly from politics. That way, if he is found guilty, then his going to jail will not be as big a deal as it would be if he was still governor. Also, while in government he still has the right to pick the next person for Obama’s seat in the senate. Now that the FBI has found him as corrupt, the government probably won’t approve of anyone he picks for that seat. I believe that money and power make politicians corrupt. The money makes them greedy for more money, and the power makes them think they are above the law. So with power and money, some politicians will do anything for more money, and think they can do anything because they have power. This also happens to many famous people, except with fame, not power. I’d never want to be a powerful politician because the money and power would probably overcome me!

Anonymous said...

I am skocked by what Governor Blagojevich did. It's very bad what he did. Selling the Senate seat wasn't a good idea. I think it is very greedy. I think that after all that Blagojevich has done he should resign. He's already been arrested, so he can't really do anything to help. He isn't helping Illinois by staying. Even if the Governor did stay in office he would have been impeached or taken out of office by the legislature. I think politician becomes corrupt when they become to pwerful or become power hungry. They become greedy and want everything to them selves. They made bad and foolish desicions and go corrupt.

Anonymous said...

The article Corruption in the Land of Lincoln was about how Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich tried to sell Obama's senate seat to the highest bidder. I think that the Governor should resingn. This is because he only has two options. He can leave now. Or if he decides not to leave before the impeachment process the senate will probably kick him out! I would leave if I were him. I agree with Kate DeWitte on how she said that what makes a politician corrupt is the power. They think that they are higher than everyone. I think that the governor thinks that he can not do anything wrong. Sometimes people get so carried away that they don't always do the right thing.

Billy H said...

I agree with Oliver, I am not shocked by the accusations. Big political guys are always getting busted for money abuse. But it is very shocking that he would just bid off a seat with the president elect. I think Blagojevich should resign. resignation draws less press then an impeachment. If I were him, I wouldn't want too much attention drawn to me. Its not something you want to be remembered for. i think power can make anyone corrupt. power just goes straight to the head. But i also think america's financial crisis has to do with this. Since less money goes around these days, Blagojevich wanted some for him and his family. so power and today's financial crisis ahve something to do with this governor's corruption.

Unknown said...

I was shocked that Blagojevich would do something like sell Obamas senate seat. i beleive he sould resign because what he tryed to do was not good and i beleive that he should no longer have the power to choose obamas senate replacement. I beleive there are sevral things that could corrupt a politician, i beleive power can corrupt any politician, along with mony. i beleive both helped to corrupt Blagojevich, he had the power to choose Obamas replacement, and he could at the same time make some money off of it both of these factors contrubuted to what he did.

Serena G said...

What Blagojevich has done is completely innapropriate and he should be ashamed to be selling Obama's seat for personal greed. So yes, I am shocked. That someone with a privliged spot in the government would have the audasity to commit such corrupt behavior. The governor without a question should resign and do the state a favor. I am sure they are all embarassed to what their supposed "leader" has done. I think that being in a powerful spot makes a politician corrupt. The power and the privlege got to his head and he took advantage of it for further personal benefit as the students before me had said. Using the power and using it for money is definately the doing of a corrupt leader.

Breana B. said...

I am not shocked at all, this happens all the time with politics. I don't trust politians too much any way. He should resign right away and then spend some time in jail because he broke the law. I think this happens to them because they think they are at a point in life where they are untouchable and cant get caught, but that is not the case it doesn't matter who you are or how much money you might make you cant break the law and get away with it....

Anonymous said...

i am not at all shocked by any of the accusations directed at the governer. Its just not right that a rich man like him is getting more money when thousands of people are getting laid off each day.This man should definatly go to jail and be heavily fined on top of being kicked out of the senate.

Tom Asc. rocks said...

I am sort of shocked that he tried to SELL Obama's seat as a governor. But I have heard before that some people in the government get corrupt, so it doesn't totally surprise me. Also he is selling it for his benefit. I think it would be wise for him to resign, but if he doesn't than he should deffinitly be impeached. I think politions do these corrupt things for money. The lust for money and power can overwhelm people and turn them into something their not. This isn't the first time politions have done something corrupt. But to sell someone's seat as governor now thats something I've never heard of before. I hope one day we can eliminate peoples greed and lust for power. I am glad that he FBI was listening to his calls, cause if he got away with that crime then that could of screwed alot of people/things up.

Anonymous said...

I am not shocked at all, many people in politics become corrupt by either power or money. [most of the time money] I think that the governor should resign and hide his face in shame. I mean come on what if he sold the seat to someione who was secretly a nazi we don't know much about the person he was trying to sell the seat to.

soledad said...

i am not shocked. just like briana said. this happends all the time. i dont think the governor should resign, or at least if i were him i would not. probaly the fact that everyone watches everymove he makes could make him do somthing corrupt. from other people's point of view, i think they should try to kick him out of his position as governor. but this sort of stuff is common in politics.

Anonymous said...

I am shocked that Govener Blagojevich tried to sell something as vauble and important as a seat in the Senate. Who is stupid ehough to try and sell that? I know that are economy's bad right about now, but I didn't think someone would try to sell a spot in the Senate. I think the govener should defintly resign if everything in the artile was true. If it wasn't exactly the truth he should try and defend himsef. I suppose the artile got the story rightthoguh. I think Governor Blagojevich should become incognito and stay away for awhile until this issue is forggoton. What I think make a polition do currupt things is money and power. both can cause emense issues in today's world.

Gracek said...

I am very shocked. It is sad to know that someone so greedy would really go as far to sell Obama's seat. Without a doubt, this guy took complete advantage of his authorities. I agree with Serena saying that he should resign immediatley, the state would definatly benefit from it. If I were from Illinois I would be appalled to know that I have been looking up to a false leader, a greedy cheat. Which goes to show that if people get too much power they can turn into a totally different person. Unfortunatly this problem tends to happen to many politicians. The power and the privlege overwhelm them and they use their advantages in unethical ways. Anyone who uses their power for money is what i call a corrupt cheat

Ben said...

The article, Corruption in the Land of Lincoln was about how Governor B. tried to sell Obama's former senate seat to the highest bidder. I was surprised that Governor B. had to resort to these unlawful actions. I think that Gov B. should resign. I think this because that was illegal and and having a criminal governor is like taking some prisoner out of jail and putting him or her as governor. Governors enforce the rules so therefore, they should have to obey them too. And anyway, he only has two options: resign or get impeached. Plus, like what Billy said, impeachment draws press attention and if I had made a big mistake like that i wouldn't want to be answering lots of questions, I would just want to forget about it. Something that would motivate a politician to do something corrupt like this is that we are in a recession and he may have needed some extra money, so he tried to use a senate seat as a money source. Also, another thing that could make a politician do something corrupt is that they think that they have so much power so they think that they can do any thing and get away with it. They just don't think that they are wrong.

Fred C said...

I am suprised at what the governer had done. It is a bad time right now in America. Mainly because wes have a resasison that is making many things hard. Like getting money and being able to keep your house. If i was a mayor I would not become power hungy because I would know that I am not a dictator and I would be lucky to have that much power.He should resign because he has done something wrong that can not be forgoten. The government should assign someone new to take his place in office. They should also make sure he nevers get back in governmner again.

Anonymous said...

This article was about Rod Blagojevich trying to sell to senate seat to the highest bidder. I think that Rod Blagojevich should just resign. This is because he probably is just going to be kicked out anyway. I think that when a politician gets to greedy they take everything for themselves. It was a very selfish thing that Rod Blagojevich did. What makes a politician with a lot of power is corrupt. They think that they can over rule everybody else. I think he had thought that he had so much power he got to carried away.

cornholio said...

probley last coment yay!

going in the past randomly is fun