Sunday, November 30, 2008

Perception of Smokers and the Overweight

First, respond to the polls to the right.

Then, watch this video: http://www.gallup.com/video/108916/How-Smokers-Overweight-People-Perceived.aspx(If the video does not work, don't worry about it. You can get the same information from the article below.)

After you watch the video, check out this article on the same topic: http://www.gallup.com/poll/108925/Impact-Smoking-Being-Overweight-Persons-Image.aspx

Respond to the following questions in a thoughtful, formally-written paragraph of 4+ or 8+ sentences (8+ for an 'A').
  • What are one or two pieces of information that you see in the charts or video that you think are interesting? Clearly describe the statistic with complete information.
  • Why do you think that information is interesting?
  • What do you think that information says about us as a society?

66 comments:

Sean I. said...

I used the article and I thought is it was normal to view someone who smokes a negative. However I was shocked to see that non-smokers were viewed 42% negative to smokers 7% negative. The other thing that was strange was that people whose wieght was on average were viewed 33% negative to overwieghts 25% negative. This is very interesting because in my opinion overwieght people a little bit positive. I think this because if they regret this they can help other people lose wieght. I think that people who smoke are negative because they are bad rolemodels to yough children. They are also very slowly killing themselves every time they smoke.

Anonymous said...

I am not suprised that some people think negatively about people who smoke or are overweight. 40% are more negative towards smokers and 29% are more negative towards people that are overweight. I think more people are negative towards smokers because when people smoke it affects everyone around them-the smoke can damage people that are not smoking near them. I don't judge people that smoke or are overweight, But I don't like being near people that smoke because it can hurt my lungs.

kevinp said...

I agree with Sean. Being in the society we are in, we are surrounded by both smokers, and overweight people. Now, overeating and smoking are both terrible habits, and shame on anyone who sees a smoker/overweight person more positively. Both smoking and overeating are bad for your health, and in return can make you live a shorter life. Because you don't always see a smoker smoking, it appears that there are less smokers than overweight citizens (You're not average weight one minute then obese the next). This shows that as a society, we have gotten used to being surrounded by overweight people. But the reason 29% viewed overweight people more negatively may be because 31% of the American population is obese. When you think of an obese person, everything makes you want you to throw up, such as the facts that they have no self control, their looks, and even their smell (sometimes). When these thoughts enter into the mind of the people being polled, they may have made them think of overweight people more negatively. Something interesting was that some people thought that an overweight/smoker made them think of that person more positively. This makes absolutely NO sense at all. If someone is a smokes or is overweight, it means that they have a lack of self control. How does someone with no self control make you think of them more positively?

Alex said...

I think it is interesting that 2% of people have a more positive view on smokers than nonsmokers. This is interesting for two reasons. The first reason is I would like to know who these people are. The second reason is I'd also like to know why they think have more positive feelings towards people that are more prone to diseases. The same goes for overweight people who 3% have a more positive view on than non-overweight people. This says a lot about our society. One thing this says is some people aren't educated and need common sense. This also shows that not everyone will stop smoking or quit eating bad food.

Fred C said...

I think that it is not fair to the person you are judging if they are overweight or smoke. There is only 56% of Americans that are do not have an opion about smokers. There is also 40% that think that down on smokers. I think that that is not fair to judge them because the smoke. Once you start smoking it is hard for the person to stop their habit of smoking. Only 59% if people think negitively about people that are overweight. Some of the overweight people don't have a choose about being overweight. The reseon is that they have the gene for being overweight. Overweight is sometimes not a choose that a person can make, vut smoking is a choose that Americans can make a choose to smoke or not smoke. Some people do not like smoking only becuase the smokers smoke in a public area, and that affect other people in the area. The people that are the near the smokers could get second hand smoke witch is bad for your body.

Tyler L said...

I was not surprised that some people look down on people who are overwheight or smoke. I do not think good or bad of them they are just unheathy. I was surprised that 7% looked down on smokers after being a smoker themselfs. I do not understand why some one look more positly at aperson for smoking. Most people don't care if someone is overwheight. 72% Fat people themselfs and 62% about right people do not care. I am surprised to see that 25% of fat people look down on fat people. If your fat you shouldn't look down on fats.




P.S. Mr.Croft BEST BLOG EVER YEA!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I personally don't blame people for not thinking positively about smokers. One reason is that smoking is bad for your health the second reason is that it affects our environment, and that's not cool, also the last reason is because of second-hand smoke, which kills more people than actual smoking does. The thing about people thinking negatively about people who are over-weight in my opinion that is ridiculous! I know many people have probably heard this before, but I am going to say it again, it doesn't matter what is on the outside, it matters what is on the inside, and the character of that person. So in the end my opinion isn't really that smokers are bad people, it is more just what they are doing to the environment, their own health, and the health of of other. Also, the poll about people being overweight, I think that people should just think of them as normal people, because F.Y.I. THEY ARE. I even saw on the class poll that there are people in the class that think of overweight people as negatively, and I have people in my family that are overweight, so that means that those people think of people in my family negatively, and I don't agree or think that it's OK to judge by size!!
-Emily Anderson

EmilyD said...

I thought that one piece in this article that I found interesting was that the majority of smokers about 90% do not look negatively on smoking people while 33% of overweight people said they look negatively upon themselves and other overweight people. That connects to another thing I found very interesting. It seems that more people who are overweight look negatively upon overweight people than non overweight people. 33% of overweight people look negatively on overweight people and only 25% of non overweight people look negatively upon overweight people. I think that what this says about our society is that overweight people are too hard on themselves. I also noticed that in both of these issues there is a significant chunk of Americans who view those things as a problem. This has an effect on our society because it proves that although we have come so far in racism there is still a lot of prejudice out there. Even though it is not the kind people expect it still exists and strongly. I believe that this is a hard topic because in some ways it is good to be prejudice against these traits because they are unhealthy and this makes less people want to be that way. Although it is still a form of discrimination so it can't be good.

Anonymous said...

40% of Americans will see smokers more negativly compared to thoes who don't smoke. I wasn't shocked when i found out that many people see smokers more negatively then people who don't smoke since i agree with them.
As you can see, the video shows that 67% of Americans view over weight people the same way they view regular people. I'm one of the 29% of Americans that view overweight people more negatively because to me if you eat that much you must be extremely irresponsible to let you're self go that far overboard. This information shows that the society in America has only seen overweight people more negativly one third of the time. This shows us that our economy has grown, and accepted the majority of overweight people.

Ethan L said...

I saw that 2% of smokers saw other smokers more positivly, that suprised me because if it were anything else like football,football players would see other football players more positivly. That must mean that A great number of american smokers don't wan't to smoke, there just addicted. I also saw that 3% of over weight people saw other overweight people more positivly. that realy suprised me because ive nerver met some one that was proud of being fat. i think this sais that society has bean pulled into bad trends like eating unhealthy foods and smoking but for the most part it dosn't change other peoples opinions of them.

BriannaG said...

Some information that i found interesting in this data is that people who smoke almost seem to deny the fact that what they are doing is affecting not only their health but the health of the people around them. Only 7% of smokers view other smokers more negatively. While most smokers(92%) say that is doesn't affect them weather people smoke or not. Another fact that surprised me was that 25% of overweight people think of overweight people more negatively. This is a huge percent compared to the percent of smokers who view smoking negatively. Most people however find that the weight of a person does not affect their view of that person. 29% of people view overweight people more negativity while 40% of people view smokers more negatively. Another fact represented in the graphs is that 80% of people think that overweight people are overweight because of there eating and lifestyle habits and not because of genetic factors. In fact even people who are overweight do not try to blame their weight on genetic factors. 80% of them also agree that they are overweight because of eating and lifestyle habits. This information tells me that although a huge population of Americans smoke(21%), the non smoking population looks down on those who smoke. However most people say that being overweight does not change how they look at a person. And overweight people also look down on obesity while smokers think nothing bad of what they are doing.

Anonymous said...

Smokers seem to share the idea that their smoking friends are doing something normal...People are so obnoxious...I hate how smokers dont see how other smokers are hurting themselves and anyone who inhales the smoke.
Also, 25% of Overweight people see other overweight people more negatively...Thats not right, I mean seriously, THEYRE overweight, they should have some sympathy for the other overweight people instead of seeing them negatively! What is this world?! Anyway...Its a little less surprising to see that people with a healthy weight think negativley (33% of them at least) of overweight people...I think its because people who can take care of their weight think that overweight people are lazy and just dont want to work for the weight loss...Silly healthy-weighted people dont know that some people have slow metabolisms =]. Still nice to see that 72% of overweight people and 62% of healthy weighted people view eachother equally.

still...This polls kind of show me how annoying portions of the world are..

Steve L said...

When people were asked "How do you view a person who smokes?" almost no smokers viewed smoking positively. This could be because they know its a bad habit but cant stop. a 92% of the people who do smoke said it didnt affect their opinion, this may be because they are defending themselves. 47% of the non smokers said that it didnt affect their opinion. 48% of nonsmokers said that they view people who smoke more negitively. this may be because they think the people who smoke know what they are doing to themselves but dont even try to stop. the 7% of smokers who said they view smokers negatively may have been feeling guilty. This information is intresting to me because it says that humans defend themselves when judged.

TIffany Arias said...

I found it quite amazing how people who are significantly over weight has more "Does not affect my opinion" as smokers. I thought it was kind of weird how 48% of nonsmokers said that they view people who smoke more negitively. This may be because they think the people who smoke know what they are doing to themselves but dont even try to stop.Also, 25% of Overweight people see other overweight people more negatively. I thought that was uncalled for because they too are over weight. I disagree with alex, if you smoke or have bad eatting habits doesn't mean you are uneducated or are more prone to diseases it just means you made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes. Also i was very happy to see that 92% of smokers did not change there opinon if they smoke or that 72% over weight people find other over wight people doesnt change their opinon.I think that everyone is equal and that you shouldn't change your opinon on someone if they smoke or are over weight.xD


P.S. NADER RULES c:

Anonymous said...

Some Pieces of information I found interesting in the video was that 25% of overwheit people look down on other people that are aswell overweight And only 7% of smokers look down on other smokers. I would have though that it would have been the opposite. It's interesting because if I put myself in a smokers footprint I was thinking "Hey buddy we should both try to quit smoking" as a Overweight person is more likely to denie that fact. This info tells us that are modern society still has people who don't like others because of weigth,looks,habits,aswell as racists and sexists.

Thomas An said...

i was not surprised to see that there is a higher percentage of people of don't smoke that view people who do smoke (48%) people who do smoke view themselves more negatively (7%). I think that it is only natural that people who don't smoke would view people who do negatively. its our natural reaction, we can't really help it. Humans always tend to judge people who are different from them in any way. In my opinion the people who are non-smokers or non-obese when they said does not affect opinion, or more positively they are lying.

Anonymous said...

Frankly, I wasn't shocked in the least when I saw that those who were indeed smokers or overweight didn't affect the overall oppinion very much. Thankfully, the percentage rate in the "more positively column" is very slim. This is good becuase its not right to view a person more superior to you if they smoke...or are fat. It did shock me when I saw that 56% of people viewed people who smoked as not altering thier oppinion. This means that they are used to smokers, or they just don't care and ignore it. OR they could even be smokers who view other smokers as normal... I don't know. I'm glad to see that 67% of people that view over weight as normal. Just becuase somebody is fat doesn't mean you have to not like them. This point kinda blends with the results on the other chart where 29% of people look down upon obese beings. DON'T HATE SOMEBODY BECAUSE THEY"RE FAT!!!!!.
Smoking, however, is okay to look down upon. Every time somebody smokes, they're killing themselves. Another thing that=bad about smoking is secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is worse than normal smoking becuase it not only harms people in a wider range(aside from the smoker emitting the smoke) but the smoke is more deadly becuase it is un-filtered.

Anonymous said...

Kru zow skeh wiz el ^

Jess D said...

I used the article. I was really shocked to see that in the second chart, people viewed non-smokers more negativly at 48%. This shocked me because usually people don't like it when others smoke. To see that the people voted that they viewed the non-smokers as negative i got really confused and i still don't understand that. I was really happy to see that not a lot of people viewed overweight people as normal or doesnt effect opinion. I was happy because the 62% of people won't judge the others on their apperence. I agree with the most popular vote on the third graph. I think that obesity is due more to eating and lifestyle habits. Those can play a big part in your weight and health in general.

Serena G said...

One peice of information that I found astonishing was that 25% of overweight people view other overweight people in the negative sense. I got this from the video and was surprised because if they are both obese, why look at a person who is obese in the negative sense when you yourself are obese. I would like to know what was running through that 25% when they answered this poll. I think that information says that our society is a bit sterotypical and descriminates more than it should. Completely in my opinion, on the statistic 2% view smokers in the positve way I thought that it was maybe entered in the poll as a joke or an accident or something of that sort. Not to be bias or mean in that way, considering the reputation of smoking and how it is harmful to your body it does'nt make any sense to view one in the positive manner. They might most definately be a very nice person but with our harsh judging community it does not seem like a logical answer to submit to this poll. I am however not surprised that the highest percentage for both smoking and being overweight is " does not affect opinion". I do because there is no reason why you should view one in the negative or positive sense due to their smoing habits or being significantly obese. :)

Anonymous said...

I noticed that only 2% of Americans view smoking more positively. Also only 3% of Americans view being overweight positively. I think it is good that only 2% of Americans view smoking more positively because the people who smoke might get told by there friends to stop and they might. I think it is good that being overweight does not effect peoples opinions. I was suprised that 56% of Americans said smoking does not effect there opinion. Almost 1/3 of Americans look at fat people negatively. 7% of smokers view a person who smokes negatively if that person smokes probaly because they can relate to that person who smokes. 25% of overweight people view an overweight person more negatively which suprised me because that means 1 out of 4 overweight people looks down on themselves. Those last two sentences are from the video.

Billy H said...

40% of people view smokers negatively, while only 29% view the overweight negatively. I agree with Justin, with how more people look negatively at smokers than overweight people, because smoking affects everyone around you. Another statistic is how 92% of smoker's opinions of other smokers was not affected. Though 7% of smokers viewed other smokers negatively. It first struck me odd to see that some smokers looked negatively on other smokers. What makes that 7% better than the other smokers? But maybe this is because this 7% knows how bad smoking is, and is trying to quit, trying to break the addiction. Where as the other 92% may not be trying as hard to quit. And that is why the 7% look negatively on the others. But this also shows me that most people who have a problem(Like smoking), aren't so quick to judge others with the same problem. I can tell this because of the whopping 92% that are indifferent about other smokers.

Kate D said...

What i think was interesting in the video was that only 7% of smokers thought negatively on their smoking. This was surprising to me because with all the adds of not smoking and showing what it does to you, i would think that number would be more. In the article i thought that it was interesting that there was 0% of smokers thought it was more positive. I thought this was interesting because they do not have an opinion on whether they smoke or not. This shows that the smokers are not smoking because if it is cool or not, which used to be the main reason why people smoked. But 3% think that it is positive. That caught my attention because that means that its a low amount of people who think smoking is still cool, which is good that they dont think so anymore. With both over weight and smoking i am not surprised that the majority had no affect on their opinion if they do or dont. This is because i feel that personal appearance is good in all but really what the person's personality is matters more. If the person's personality is affected on their smoking and their weight then there is a problem. What also does not surprise me is that 80% said that eating and their lifestyle habits are due to more. This does not surprise me because even if it was genetics, they could still work out and eat well to be not over weight.

courtneyl said...

I think that people should not judge on weight or if they smoke. I realied that only 2% of Americans view smoking more positively then. Only 3% of Americans view being overweight positively. I think it is good that only 2% of Americans view smoking more positively because the people who smoke are affecting the people around them and you would not want to support that happit.I was shocked that 56% of Americans said smoking does not effect there opinion.1/3 of Americans look at fat people negatively. 7% of smokers view a person who smokes negatively if that person smokes probaly because they can relate to that person who smokes.

Anonymous said...

First off I cant believe that 3%of NONsmokers view smokers more positively, smokers dont even feel that good about themselves. Personally I feel they should be view much more negatively. Smoking, is okay to look down upon. Every time somebody smokes, they're killing themselves. Another thing bad about smoking is secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is worse than normal smoking becuase it harms people in a wider range. overweight people however should not get judged, I mean its their life and if they want to stuff their face untill they die they can.

Elliott said...

This is a very interesting data. It is very surprising to see that a percent of overweight people think down upon themselves, think that they are to fat. In some instances, this would be correct to think “Yeah, maybe I do need to go on a diet.” but still, I think it would be very hard to admit to someone that you’re a little heavy. On the other hand, not many smokers look down upon themselves, thinking their doing anything wrong. But in both of the polls that ask what people think of smokers and tobacco users, the majority of people said that it did not effect that persons view on who they were. Although 40% of people who look at smokers say that they look upon that person negatively. Which is sad but true, that people will judge someone just by what they do without even meeting them. When it comes to overweight people, 29% of people will look upon that person negatively. This poll shows us in a small way of Americans think of smokers and overweight people.

Anonymous said...

What I thought was intersting was that only seven percent of smokers though more negitavly about smokeing, but zero percent saw it more positivly(I know I spelled that wrong). And that more non smokers saw smokers more positively(I don't know how to spell that word). I think the smokers know more that smoking is bad than non smokers. That scares me. That means that the three percent might actually think smoking is cool!
What is wrong with them! Or maybe they are just trying to be nice. Don't be nice. The smokers should no smoking is bad, and they do. I hope those non smokers do too.

Anonymous said...

Overweight people view themselves, other overweight people, less negatively than people who are not overweight. Only 25% of overweight people view themselves in a negative way, but 33% of healthy weight voters view overweight people negatively. This makes sense because overweight people should not look down on themselves, or they would not be overweight. I found this interesting because it proves my hypothesis that overweight people would not view themselves negatively. I think this says that our society is stereotypical; because people who are not overweight look down on overweight people more than overweight people do themselves. These is an example of stereotypes in our society because it could be a genetic disorder but people still look down and probably think that fat people are fat because they are lazy and careless. Not all overweight people can help it, even if that case is more rare than an environmental factor being the cause. The majority of all people agree that people who are overweight do not affect their opinion. I agree that the main reason why people are overweight is because of eating and lifestyle habits.
The majority (92%) of smokers do not have an affected opinion on a person who smokes, but fewer nonsmokers agree. More nonsmoker people view a person who smokes negatively than having no affected opinion. This makes sense because smokers would not view other smokers, themselves, negatively, or they would most likely not be smokers.

Lilly said...

The first thing that struck me was the way that smokers and overweight people view other smokers and overweight people. 92% of smoker people say the fact someone else smokes doesnt affect their opinion of them. Whereas only 72% of overweight people say the fact someone else is overweight doesnt affect their opinion of them. I think that that is interseting because I would supose that more overweight/smoker people would view others like them negatively ONLY if they themselves were trying to break away from the habit of either overeating or smoking.
I think it says we view others different from us in a negative way.

Emily G said...

For making my opinions I looked at the charts. What I saw that really struck me was on how 29% of people looked negativly on people who were overweight. This doesn’t make much sense to me, of course maybe some of the people had a bad experience with someone overweight, but it can’t be all of the people who answered to that, it just really confuses me is all I’m saying. What this is telling me about our society is that, aparently we live in a type of society that is predejuce against people who are below our personal standards of how people should look.

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Forty percent of people feel more negatively about someone who smokes. Twenty nine percent feel more negatively about some who is overweight. Ninety two percent of smokers say that a smoke does not affect their opinion of that person. Three percent of nonsmokers feel more positively towards smokers. Six percent total feel more positively about people who are overweight. Eighty percent of people feel that people are overweight because of eating of life style habits. Both of these are self-inflicted and so I can’t see why people would view them positively. There is always the case of genetic problem and so I feel that there is no reason to be overweight or smoke unless you are overweight and have a genetic problem.

Thomas An said...

I was not surprised to see that there is a higher percentage of people of don't smoke that view people who do smoke (48%). People who do smoke view themselves less negatively (7%). I think that it is only natural that people who don't smoke would view people who do negatively. It's our natural reaction, we can't really help it. Humans always tend to judge people who are different from them in any way. In my opinion the people who are non-smokers or non-obese when they said does not affect opinion, or more positively they are lying.

Amanda T said...

One piece of information that I think is interesting is the first chart. It happens to be titled Everything else being equal, please tell me whether each of he following makes you (ROTATED: view a person more positively, does not affect your opinion, or makes you view a person more negatively)? On this chart, 2% of the voters thought more positively toward people who smoke, and 3% of the voter thought more positively toward people who are significantly overweight. In another calm, 56% of the voters thought that if a person smokes it does not affect their opinion, and 67% of the voters thought that if a person is significantly overweight. The last calm shows, 40% of the voters thought of people who smoke in a more negatively way, and 29% of the voters thought of people who are significantly overweight in a more negatively way. This information intrigued me because it shows how people view other people who happen to smoke and be overweight and it compares the votes in the three categories. This chart show how the mostly don’t have a opinion that I affected by weight and if the person smokes, but it also show that they feel more negatively toe=ward then rather than positively toward the people who are overweight and smoke.

Tina L said...

at least 2 pieces that seem interesting to from the video and article are the parts where the people who smoke or the people who are over weight think about themselves or people exactly like them with their problems. For example; 7% of smokers view a person more negatively if that person smokes compared to 40% of Americans. Although, 25% of people who are overweight view a person more negatively if that person is overweight. Another piece that shocks me is that 21% of Americans say they smoke, but a high 42% of Americans describe THEMSELVES as overweight. I think this information surprises or seems intersting the most because I have heard some high school girls complaining that they are overweight when they are perfectly healthy, do sports, and exercise but when i see that almost half of the US citizens describe themselves as over weight and actually are overweight, just scares me that people actually think this negatively about themselves or about other people exactly like them. At least they know their 'problem' but hopefully they could reduce it and become rebellions against smoking or obesity. I think this information says about our society that we mostly think negative about ourselves or other people from the outside.

Anonymous said...

In the video and the article they mentioned lots of things. One of them was the percent of people who view someone negatively because of whether they smoke or are overweight. 40% say they would view someone who is a smoker more negative and only 29% say they would view overwight people more negative. I think this was interesting because I think people would view an overweght person more negatively, because you can get a sense of their life or how they have eaten their whole life. Smokers can also affect the environment around other people which is bad too. This information tells us that people need to change their eating habits and take care of themselves. This also means that our society isn't as healthy as it could be. We need to start making the environment around us a beter place to live in.
:):)

Ellery R said...

One piece of information that I find interesting was that still two percent of people view smokers in a more positive way. Even though this is only two percent of the people, 1 in 50 people think that smoking is a positive reflection. Although this does not compare with the forty percent of the people polled think of smokers in a more negative way. This is the same with the overweight population. Three percent of the people polled looked upon overweight people in a positive way. Same with the smokers I don't believe that overweight is a positive concern. However, this is a small percentage in comparison the the amount of people who looked upon the overweight population with a negative perspective, which was 29%. I think that this information says that our society is not as forgiving as others may be due to that fact that so many people do look down upon smaoking, and overweight people. On the other side, Americans are not afraid to spot those "draw backs" and maybe even for people to realize themselves to do something about it.

Ben said...

in the first graph, 40% of the people who voted said that people who smoke are viewed more negatively than people who don't smoke. I agree with this statement. I was surprised that a quarter of overweight people put themselves down. The other 72% does not care about a person's weight. The smokers don't view themselves negatively because they do not believe that they are doing anything wrong. And the "about right" weight people think that negatively about fat people because like what Thomas said that people judge people who are different. And also some people are lying so that they will look better even though people won't know what you're voting for. Finally, the majority of voters said that fatness is caused by eating and lifestyle habits like not exercising and eating lots of gallon ice cream tubs and full cows.

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach K said...

I think that people are juged by too much by thier apperance and habits. I also agree with Courtney that it is surpriseing that only 7% of people that smoke think negitively of it. It is aldos suprizing so little people actuly try to quit. Another thing that surprises me so many over weight people try to get skinnier. I tihnk that the first step to solving one of these problems is admting that you smoke too much or are over weight. But, like Christina says I think that some people jugde themselves too much and think that they are fat when they are skinny.

Gracek said...

I used the article. I was very content with the charts. I was happy to see that a little over half of the voters don't judge smokers. I know a lot of smokers and just because they smoke doesn't make them "bad people." I was also very impressed that 67% of the voters don't judge overweight people. This makes me very happy with our world becasue, let's face it, a numerous amount of America is obese or just simply overweight. Although the percentage of people that didn't like fat people and smokers was fairly high. But we can't control other people's opinions, but we can persaude them.

Anonymous said...

A part I found interesting was that smokers viewed themselves more negitively than non-smokers. However, smokers said they think are thought of without impact because they smoke. Another interesting part is that most overweight people think that they are neither viewed negitively or positively by people. Also 62% of people who are not overweight don't judge people differently if they are overweight. I found this interesting because I thought more people would think of smokers as bad influences because what they are doing is actually killing them. I also think that overweight people thought them being overweight doesn't affect another persons opinion about them. I think that both smokers and overweight people should not be judged differently than another person. This information tells me that our society is not very negitive about people who different from the average person.

Anonymous said...

The information that shocked me the most was that 40% of americans vieww smokers more negatively and over wight people only 29% negative. I would think that people would have more of a negative side to the over wight Americans because you can then get an idea of how they lived and there eating habits. Smokers can effect the environment because they are littering our world. It makes our society a non environmental friendly place to life in. What I also thought was interesting was that 2% of the people thought smoking was a positive thing. Even that it is only 2% of people who think it is a positive factor to smoke. What I also thought was interesting was to see that 3% of people thought that overweightness was a positive thing for people. We need people to be more health and to stop smoking to keep us and our society a better place to live in.

Anonymous said...

I thought this blog was one of the most interesting blogs we have ever done. I agree with Serena that 25% of obese people think negatively about obese people. That was astonishing to me. Also 2% of americans think positively of smokers and 3% think negatively of obese people. This led me to believe that those people who voted were probably obese or smokers.I don't think it matters if a person is obese or a smoker what matters most is how they act and their personality. Another fact is that alot of Americans think that it doesn't affect their opinion. I was happy with that result. I think this was a very exciting blog and I was interested with the information. I think the polls show that the majority of ur society think eqaully of all human beings. But it also says that quite a few americans don't think eqaully of smokers and obese people.

P.S. Great blog Mr. Croft!

Anonymous said...

The video showed that alot of americans are biased against people by if they smoke or are over weight. This is a good example for bias or juding people because that person might be someone u could get laong with but because they smoke or are overweight they dotn and they just judge us. I think our society would be better if there wasnt bias. Also if everyone got along nomatter weight, color, or if they smoke.

Anonymous said...

The video showed that alot of americans are biased against people by if they smoke or are over weight. This is a good example for bias or juding people because that person might be someone u could get laong with but because they smoke or are overweight they dotn and they just judge us. I think our society would be better if there wasnt bias. Also if everyone got along nomatter weight, color, or if they smoke.

Anonymous said...

Well as I was watching the video, I was mostly shocked by all of the people who call themselves overweight look down on people who are overweight. They are like picturing themselves higher than all the other overweight people that are just like them. Also, the number of people in this country that are obese is sad. These people cannot control what they are eating anymore. It shocks me a lot because there are so much information about nurtition facts, it's like don't these people read?! Overweight people are saying that they shouldn't be discriminated, but no offense it's their fault that they are they way they are. If they would live for healthy lives they wouldn't be fat. This information is very interesting because I was reading it I kept feeling more surprised and surprised by the number of the smokers in the U.S., and all of the people that look down on them. Especially, the number of obese people, that really surprised me because the number is so high.This is definetely saying that people in this society look at themselves higher than others even when they are in the group of the people that is being discriminated against. People are more worried about what's on the inside than the outside. I read Hanna's and I agree that I don't really care what's on the outside or their habits but what their personality is like.

OliverT said...

What I thought was interesting was the fact that more than half the amount of people who felt more negatively towards smokers felt negatively towards overweight people. 29% of the people surveyed viewed a person more negatively because they were overweight, and 40% of the people surveyed viewed smokers more negatively. 67% of the people surveyed said that obesity did not affect their views of people, and 56% of people said that smoking did not affect their views of people. 2% of the people said that they viewed smokers more positively because of their habits and 3% of the people said that they viewed overweight people positively. I thought this was interesting because I would have thought that a lot more people would have viewed smokers negatively. After all, obesity can’t really harm anybody but the person who is overweight, and secondhand smoking is very harmful to people who are around smokers. So instead of 40% of the people being surveyed saying that they view smokers negatively, I would have expected more like 50% of the people saying that they viewed smokers negatively. Obesity can sometimes be a genetic issue so it makes sense that 67% of the people surveyed said that obesity does not affect their views of people. I think that the data shows that Americans view smokers too positively. I think that more people should view smokers negatively because it is the smoker’s choice to smoke or not and if they do, then they are making a bad choice. Our entire society says that smoking is bad, so why shouldn’t smoking affect people’s views?

Kirby p said...

I used the article because I couldn’t get the video to work and I wasn’t surprised when the polls showed that people were more negative towards people who smoke because smoking can harm other people around and people being overweight can do any thing to people. For example people who are around people who smoke exposed to second hand smoke which can lead to very serious diseases. Also in the polls where they ask the people who are over weight and smoke if it doesn’t affect the opinion. The majority of the smokers and the overweight people voted for doesn’t affect the opinion. I think they are just trying to say that they are just like other people but they just come in different packages. The information in this article is interesting because you get to see what non-smokers and not overweight people think and the smokers and overweight people think. This information relates to the US because being over weight and smoking are two very big unhealthy topics in America right now. These topics also show how prejudging people are because before they even get to know the person they automatically think that they are stupid or weird but they are just normal people like every one else.

McK.Sturges. said...

In the video and in the charts, I noticed more than two interesting pieces of information that I found interesting. What shocked was that 2% of Americans said that they see smokers in a positive. I found this interesting because I would of thought that 0% would have said that people who smoke is a positive thing because I thought that everyone knows that smoking is deadly and can kill. Even though that is their opinion, I personally feel that people who smoke are making a serious mistake. But I don't see smokers in a negative way. Another thing that interested me was that 67% of Americans said that their opinion on an overweight person is not affected by their weight. Not only am I interested by this fact, but I am also happy that was the percentage who said this. I feel that it is wrong to judge for who they are or what they look like, someone might have feelings about them. I think these polls that I wrote about and the other polls tell me that most of our society has realized that we are all different and they have learned to deal with everyone's differences.

Unknown said...

Smokers and overweight people are viewed more negatively than non smokers and people of average weight although people who smoke and are overweight tend to view themelves more positively.

Carne said...

I think this is astonishing. How many people think less of people that are overweight people and smokers. But many that over weight people are looked down upon by more people. This should not be. I think that no one should be looked down upon on. But the thing there can be no deaths due to second hand food. I think that smokers should have to not be able to smoke in extremely crowded or small places. But to get back to my point. People that are different should not be looked at differently and they should not be looking at other people negatively but helping others with situations like theirs. Those 40% of over weight people need to get with the other 60% and not think about others than themselves. Also the 29% of smokers or over weight people should be getting out there and help the people they look think that their condition has no effect on the they way they look at them. I think this says that only a few of the people in our society think that all people are equal and they don't judge a person based on how they look.

Breana B. said...

Well, I would like to start out on the point about how some people can be so judgementle about people smoking, they are automatically bad people? Well not all. it isnt these people that they cant break the horrible habbit that strains them every day. Sure its their fault that they started smoking in the first place, but still, it dosnt mean that thier bad people! Just the fact that people would find Smokers negitive at all! Really, I feel bad for all of the Smokers.
Now, for the overweightness...
Well the fact that these people see themselvs as overweight is pretty good, but the fact that they overweight at all, is pretty bad! And a lot of people find overweight people to be negitive....I'm not as sure as to where I'm really going here....Just the fact that people can find these people in a negitive way is kinda... judgemental....They dont know these people and they find them in that kind of way......Its kind of sad If you ask me. :)




-Breana B.

katieb said...

21% of Americans say they smoke.
40% of Americans view a person that smokes negatively compared to29% of Americans who view an overweight person more negatively. 7% of smokers view a person more negatively if that person smokes.25% of people who are overweight think more negatively of a person who is signifcantly overweight. Smokers do not view a person negatively if they smoke but smokers need to realize that one out of two nonsmokers they come in contact with will think less of them simply because of their tobacco habit.
ffect for overweight people is 67%. The more positively overweight beats by 3% and the people that smoke 2% of more positively.

Anonymous said...

One thing that was interesting to me was the percent of smokers that didn't view smoking badly on the 2nd chart. On the chart it asks both non-smokers and smokers and then seperates the 2. The non-smokers were basically split in half over whether they viewed some one who did smoke the same as any non-smoker or more negativelty. I thought that it was interesting that about 92% of smokers don't view smoking negitivly. I think that this says that as a society we may be able to educate our selves on unheathy things that are able to affect the body in an ab-normal way, but some of the time we choose not to and then are dumb enough to be subject to those things. So as a society we are pretty dumb because we don't use the archive that are availible to us already to prevent bodily disfunctions like a heart failure or clogged arteries.

Anonymous said...

by: juan salazar



47% that does not affect opinion and 3% more positive.this is interesting because 3% of people say that smokers look more positive. what im realy supried is that 47% didnt think it was negative.I think that our society thinks that somkers does not affect opinion.

Tom Asc. rocks said...

In the charts i have noticed that smokers are looked at more negatively than anything. I agree with the negative group because smoking is killing yourself and others. In second hand smoke the people around you can also be affected by this nasty habit. But i was surprised to see that 67% of Americans think that over weight people don't effect their opinion. It didn't surprise me when i saw that 92% of smokers didn't effect their opinion on other smokers. I think the information is interesting because it really shows how other Americans feel about each other. It could be positive or negative or not matter at all. The information says that our society can discriminate against not just race but size and shape and even habits.

Olivia D said...

Well, as i was reading one of the graphs, I was quite surprised at the people who were overwieght that viewed other overwieght people more negativly. It was pretty confusing as well. How could overweight people think down on other overweght people? In the charts, it says that 25% of people that are overwieght view a person more negativly if that person is overwieght. It is ashame that they look at people just like them in a more negative way. I think that this information is interesting because it shows that people can really judge you mostly just on your outward appearance. Most people think that most overwieght people are that way because they can't control their eating habits. But sometimes that's ussually not the case. Some overwieght people I know are that way because of some type of medical condition. I think that this information says that we are a very judging society. Most often, people judge others on their outward appearance without even getting to know them at all. Like in the charts, it says that 33% of people "whose weight is "about right"" says that they view an overwieght person more negativly. I,for one, think that if people view you more negativly if your overwieght, you should really excercise.

Emily Svenningsen said...

I found it suprising that more people thought more negatively to a person who smokes, but 29% thought more negatively to a person who is obese. 29% is alot of people if you ask me... I also found it shocking that 92% of the people weren't effected by smokers, and 42% for non smokers. I found this to be interesting because many people in our socienty are quiet judgmental, and I find it strange that they barely care. What I found even more suprising, was more people thought negatively to people who didn't smoke. 48% thought this. I think that the people should think about how smoking affects themselves and the environment. I found this information interesting because I thought that more people would have thought people who didn't smoke a good thing, and people who did a bad, but I guess that's personal choice. I am glad that most people don't think that obesity is from genes, because some of it is, and yet I believe that most of it is just environmental. I think this tells alot about our society, especially how judgmental we can be towards people who smoke, and are obese.

Anthony G said...

I am not suprised to see that people who smoke are viewed more negitive because smoking is a disgusting addiction. And when ou see pople who smoke they look older and uglier because they have yellow teeth and smell bad. Smoking can also be related to your enviorment if you are around people who smke your going to have the tendensy to smoke. Obesity I think is viewed way more negitivly than smoking. You have to choose what you eat and what to do to exersise. If people are eating fating foods all day long and not exersising of course they will get fat.

Kelly Sullivan said...

When I was watching the video I noticed that 48% of nonsmokers looked negatively on people who do smoke. I thought that the number would rise because people who smoke do not only affect themselves it is also killing the people around them. I look negatively on a person who smokes because they are killing themselves and they are killing the people who live around them. I was also surprised to see that 33% of people look negative on a person who is obese. That is still a big number for people who are obese. Why would it affect us if other people are obese? It just goes to show how judgmental people can be. But then again 72% of obese people say that other people being obese does not affect them at all which is much better.

Unknown said...

One thing that I noticed from the graphs was that more people who didn't smoke looked negatively on people who did. Even though it was only a little more than the percentage of people whom it does not affect there opinion. It confused me that someone would look more positively on a smoker though. But I probably have this opinion because I was raised to know that smoking was bad. Another thing that I noticed was that the majority of the percantage of people who voted, opinions were not affected about a person who is overweight. I assume that the results were what they were because most of us, or the people who voted, either grew up with an overweight relative or have friends who are overweight. I found these graphs were interesting, because most people overlook overweight people (opinions aren't affected). It is strange how much more people scrutinize smokers than they do overweight people. They are both bad haits so I don't understand why people don't look at them in the same way. I think that this says that it all depends on where you grew up that affects your opinion in our society.

Anonymous said...

I can easily see how overwheight people can be looked at negatively. And same with smokers. But that doesnt necessarily mean that they are bad people. And yes, most people I know view overweight people negatively. But I feel bad for them. Because it may not be their fault.

Anonymous said...

BY: KYLE BENNETT


i was suprised that any people thought that smoking if more positve. i am wondering why any body would vote that it is positve. i AGREE THAT IT DOESNT A FECT WHAT I THING OF THEM UNLESS IT IS SOME GANG. THE OTHER THING I DIDNT UNDERSTAND WAS WHY IT WOULD THINK MORE POSITIVELY ON THEM. MY THOUGHTS ARE THAT THEY ARE CHILDEREN THAT GREW UP IN A SMOKEY INVIRORMENT.