Friday, February 18, 2011

Revolution In Egypt?

Governments change in many ways. Sometimes they change through civil war, like the one we are studying in class; other times governments change because large groups of people demand it.
Recently, people in several Arab countries (an Arab country is one in which most people share a heritage that they can trace back to the Arabian Peninsula; many Arabs practice the religion of Islam) have protested and forced major changes in their governments. In Egypt, a long-time leader who had been supported by the United States government was forced out by mass protests. Before that, people in Tunisia forced an unpopular leader to leave his job. As you write your post for this week's blog, think about social contracts, how they are made, and how they are changed.

Watch the video and read the article pasted below and respond to one of the following questions:
  1. Have you ever been part of an event that you can relate to the uprisings in these Arab countries? Be sure to include details from the articles and videos.
  2. The people of Egypt and Tunisia seem to have achieved major change in their government; what do you think will be happening in Egypt and/or Tunisia one year from now?
  3. Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, do you think the people other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same?
  4. How much control should people have over the type of government in their country?

Article #1: http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/teachers/wr/article/0,27972,2046533,00.html

Article #2: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2045328_2045338_2048975,00.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygRdRhHvN8

74 comments:

Rachel C. said...

Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, I think that the people in other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same. I say this because in Algeria they are already following in the footsteps of Egypt. In one of the articles is says, “On February12, 2011, a large number of people gathered in the capital city of Algiers to protest against the government of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika.” Other Arab countries are ready to take a stand and fight for what’s right. Egypt and Tunisia hopefully gave them the hope and power they needed to proceed. President Abdelaziz Bouteflika came into power with the help of the army and carried out a constitutional amendment to waive off the two-term restriction of being elected as the head of state; a common act of dictators in this part of the world. He was now all set to remain in power for life. This is a favorite hobby of all the dictators to amend the constitution in order to prolong their stay in power. Clearly some changes need to be made to most of their constitutions to prevent this from reoccurring. In The New York Times it says, “At this present time it is a matter of waiting to see how the day develops for Algeria and its people. There are already signs of the large numbers of police and riot officers who are being drafted into the area. The march has been banned but it is thought that the protests will go ahead, perhaps having received a confidence boost following Mubarek's departure.” Numerous real life happenings are related to this topic and can provide a greater understanding to the people of this world. For instances, an example is when one brave student raises their hand to answer a complex question when no one else “steps up to the plate.” After this one student gets the conversation going, other students join in and feel more comfortable giving their opinion. I feel that in this scenario Egypt and Tunisia are those “brave students” and the other Arab countries are the ones that hold back a bit until they feel ready and have the confidence. Without a doubt, the people of Algeria and other Arab countries were inspired by successful revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt and have now come out to get their usurped rights and civil liberties.

Logan R said...

Since Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, yes, I think that countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same. I think this because if Egypt and Tunisia can do it, why not other countries? For example, in the second article it states that 2,00 people protested in the capital on February 12, 2011 against the Algerian president, Abdelaziz Bouteflika. Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constitution, and both leaders have made close connections with the U.S.A. I think other countries will be able to fight for what they believe in as well. Like Rachel said, “Other Arab countries are ready to take a stand and fight for what’s right. Egypt and Tunisia hopefully gave them the hope and power they needed to proceed.” That is why I believe that if Egypt and Tunisia can make changes in their government, countries like Algeria can as well.

Michael G said...

I believe that Egypt will be a more peacefull place since the people are happy but some people fear that the recent news will give the people reason to protest in other countries. In Algeria I read that 100 people were shot trying to get their president out of office by protesting. I read that the president ordered his troops to start opening fire on anyone who tried to protest. The president has had a 40 year term and now all of a sudden after Egypt had protested and gotten their way other countries believe they can do the same. I believe that all of the rioting will lead to widespread deaths. I believe that the other goverments will use force to stay the way they are. Like Rachel Said" The other arabian countries will stand up for what is right." I believe this statement is very true. I believe the countries should set a rule if anyone is caught rioting they will be fined and put in jail.

Luke W said...

I do think that now that Egypt has gotten changes other countries will also do the same. This is because Egypt is no different than others. So if Egypt wants changes then so can they. Like Logan said “Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constitution, and both leaders have made close connections with the U.S.A. And I agree with this statement in that it is true. So if the two are so similar then if one changes then so can the other. Like if a person has a white shirt and wants a red one then all he has to do is dye it. This is a dumb comparison, but it is the same idea. So in conclusion I think that if Algeria really wanted to change, they can do it.

Sarah C. said...

I am answering the question: How much control should people have over the type of government in their country? I think the people should have 90% of the power in their own country. The people have a right to be happy in their own homeland. Letting people have control over their own lives will make them happy. In the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. And everyone wants the freedom, too! In the article from Time for Kids, it said, “By some counts, a million people from all walks of life--teachers, students, farmers, doctors and shopkeepers--took to the streets on February 1.” There probably isn’t a person out there who doesn’t want the ability to control their own lives. This reminds me of our Anti-federalist/federalist poster assignment. One of the insights that a lot of people put on their Anti-federalist posters was “A too powerful president is like a king!” I always what people would do if their president was too strong. Egypt had a “too-powerful president.” They gathered and protested until he left. Egypt’s protest helped me understand what someone would do in that situation.

Julie A.C. said...

I think that Egypt can change their ways by needing more control over them. Because they are starting riots about the president and trying to get him out of his office. I read that the president ordered his guards to start firing at the people who was trying to go after him. People died from going after him so they do need more control over them.

Ana. M :3 said...

I agree with Julie because if Egypt did change their ways they would need a but more control over them. I agree with Logan on "Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constitution, and both leaders have made close connections with the U.S.A."
because Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt.

pat said...

no i have never been a part of an event like this. i think that eqypt will get better in time.i do think that other countrys can make there goverment can get better if people actualy do something. i agree with sarha cava and that the people should have 90% of the power because its not fair if the goverment bosses them around your life.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

mikey t said...

I think that people should have control of what type of government their government should have. I think this because I think that people have the right to have free speech, elections on issues, and a say in the government. For example in the former government in Egypt, there was propaganda and economic issues and the rising prices of essential goods. Government should not be run like that. Like what Sarah C. said about in the video, the people were absolutely ecstatic when they were freed from a strong government. This is how everyone should feel about their own government. The government should not be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent. The people should have the say, not a greedy, power hungry monarch. But also, government should have control in the aspect of crimes and that people might do something illegal.

Kelsey J said...

I think that since Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in government that Arab countries can do the same. I think this because they are protesting like the other countries were. I think that they will likely gain there wishes if the go about it the right way. For example they could organize rallies and over throw the bad government. Or they could start a war and get now where in the end. Another reason is that everyone deserves the right to be happy and if the citizens of these countries are not happy, they should be able to change it. They should hold and election of sign petitions to change it. The government should be run by the people; therefor they have the right to change it. My connection to this situation is like how I ask for things to be changed. When I’m at home if I want something I have to ask respectfully and say please. If I were to ask or demand that something be done it wouldn’t happen. This relates to this because the citizens can asked for the government to be changed nicely, but still demanding or harshly sparking greater conflict between one another.

Krista C said...

I believe that people should have some say in what there government is like. I would say this because if we find that the inconvenient up rise in violence is a problem, then I believe that the people should have some say in the government. Like Sarah cava said people should feel secure in there own homeland. How would you feel if you felt insecure about where you live. You are supposed to feel proud and happy about where they lived. I will bet the people in Egypt fell horrible. In the video, the people were so happy it almost like the feeling cant be explained. That is how you should feel about your government.

Alden C said...

I think how much control people should have over the government is a hard thing to decide. You don't want to have too much control because some people are uneducated or make bad decisons and probably wouldn't be the best type of person to be having an influence on where you live and your government. On the other hand if people don't have enough say in the government people will start to complain and get angry. In my personal opinion I think it's better to give the people more power than less. I think this because people will always be more angry if you give them less power than more. For example in England before people moved to North America, the king had too much power and that made everyone angry and scared. I know that I, and most other people would prefer to have more power because that makes you feel more like you have a say in your life and your government. People will feel more safe and probably happier.

Molly M. said...

How much control should people have over the type of government in their country?
I think people should have total control over their type of government. My reasons for this are, because what matters is what the people need and want; the leaders are just their to enforce it. Therefor they should have the majority of control. When they don't have control, people protest. For example, the video that was provided for us shows how people feel and react when there is a dictator ship. I agree when Sarah said, people were estatic when they were freed from a strong government. As Mikey said the government should not and don't need to be in control over the lives of the general public to a certain extent.
My connection to this is when Hitler took charge. He got too much power and become a dictator who hert many people emotiaonaly and physically. That is my connection.

Leanne M said...

I think people should have some control over the type of goverment in their contry. I agree with Molly when she said if the leader takes too much control he could become a dictator like Hitler. Hitler ended up killing millions of people and it didn't end up well.If the government has too much power they could end up telling people what to do and maybe even controlling them. But, if the people get too much control it could end up in violence and everything would be out of order. So, if the people have some power and the government has some control everything could be balanced so there won't be alot of problems.In Egypt, days of angry protests made Egypt's President say he will not run for reelection. This is an example of the people getting alot of power. The bigger the crowd got, the more Egypt's President says he won't reeclect. This is why people should have some control but not too much.

Robert M. said...

I think that since Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in government that Arab countries can do the same. I think this because they are protesting like the other countries were. I think that they will likely gain there wishes if the go about it the right way. For example they could organize rallies and over throw the bad government. Or they could start a war and get now where in the end. Another reason is that everyone deserves the right to be happy and if the citizens of these countries are not happy, they should be able to change it. They should hold and election of sign petitions to change it. The government should be run by the people; therefor they have the right to change it. My connection to this is when me and my sisters ask our parents for allowence. We all go at the same time and ask as a group.

MarisaP(: said...

What do I think will be happening in Egypt one year from now? It took the Egyptian protesters 18 days to topple a government run by Hosni Mubarak for 30 years. It will take far longer than 18 days to change thier political system, amend thier constitution, and decide what roles the citizens will have in thier country's government. In order to give the Egyptians what they want, they really should have a Constitutional Convention like America did in 1787. Our convention had 55 delagates. Egypt should include all political, social, professional, and religious groups at a Constitutional Convention. Can this be done in one year? Can they change a government that has been unpopular for 30 years? I think thier revoloution has just begun. I think one year from now, Egypt will still be deciding on what the people want, and may still be fighting about it. I think in one year, the Egyptian government will still not be stable.

Jenna Raymond said...

I choose question #4. How much control should people have over the type of government in their country? I think that that people should have some control in their government. I think that they should be able to have a say in what their government does and should be able to be heard instead of ignored. In the video the people had had no say in what they want and think for their government. I also think that the people shouldn't have to much control because then they can get cocky and believe that its all up to them, their decisions; and I think that is wrong. No one thing should have all the power, it should be divided. But thats just what I think.

Kristine K said...

Since Egypt and Jordan were able to force their rulers out through protest, I think that Algeria will be able to do it as well. I think that because in one of the articles that I read it said that Algeria was already following in Egypt's footsteps, by having a group of over a thousand people protest. AS Leanne said, "the bigger the crowd got the more the president wanted to resign." the In Egypt and Jordan their ruler had been governing for over 20 years, in Algeria the president has ruled for 11 years. I think that is way too long for someone to rule a country. In America presidents can only serve for two terms (8 years). Also if you serve that long, you can make big mistakes. That is obviously what the leaders in Egypt and Jordan did. The president of Algeria changed their Constitution which angered many people. Also in an article it said that after having after having a civil war many Algerians were "exhausted". I think it is good that they had that the civil war because now they are sort prepared to "fight" against the government, so the president resigns.

A connection that I can make to this is in a court trial. I think that because there is the judge who makes the decision in the case. The judge is like the leaders of Egypt, Jordan, and now Algeria, they have to make the decision of weather or not to resign for office. Also all the protesters are the defendant and plaintiff lawyers. They have to fight against the judge to make them do what they want.

Sandra G said...

After reading the article, I think that other Arab countries will be able to achieve the changes in their government like Egypt and Tunisia. I say this because Algeria is already doing what Egypt did. In an article I read, it said that a group of protesters, in Algeria, protested against their government. Other countries in Arab countries are also fighting to get their government changed and have the rights they deserve. After Egypt and Tunisia got their government changed, I think it made the other Arab countries think it’s possible for their government to be changed also. In other words, I think Egypt and Tunisia inspired the countries to stand up for what they want. I agree with Logan when he said that “Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constitution, and both leaders have made close connections with the U.S.A.” In other words, they are dictators. The people of these Arab countries are tired of having a dictator and not having the right to be involved in politics. That’s why people fought to make their country a free country. In school when we are doing our Socratic circles, students say what they think and build a discussion. Other students then build off their ideas and are comfortable sharing their thoughts without being judged. This is similar to the Arab countries because after Egypt changed their government, the other countries are trying to do the same and at the same time are building off the idea that Egypt had.

Marcus F. said...

After reading the articles and watching the video I can see how Egypt and Tunisia are going to be in a year. I think it is going to fall apart. I think this because I don’t know who is going to step up and be the president. If anyone tries they have to be careful of what they do because or else the people might kick them out like the last president. Also, if the people try to govern their own country there might be disagreements. For example, passing laws about taxes or products. I also think that there will be a war. I think this because they will always fight about who gets what job with the government. That is what I think will happen in the future with Egypt and Tunisia.

Anonymous said...

I chose Question #4: “How much control should people have over the type of government in their country?” I think that citizens in a country should have a large say in what happens in the government. I think this because, in an ideal government, everybody would have an equal say in the government. They would also have a right to demand a “redress of grievances,” which is a way to ask the government to fix anything the citizens feel is wrong. I also think this because the government would have to be fair with every judgment they make, which would benefit the country and its neighbors well. Like Sarah C. said, “The people have a right to be happy in their own homeland.” I agree with this because the country would be a better and safer place to visit and live, which would also help the country’s economy, in a positive way. A connection to this is when we do Socratic circles in class. When we start to talk about the chosen subject, we express our opinions on that subject. Then, the opinions could reach a higher authority, where they could be used in a positive way. This is what I think of this topic.

Ryan B said...

I believe that in one year Egypt will be in complete chaos. As it stands Egypt is under control by the military and have no true leader. Because they have no central form of government this will make electing a new president extremely hard. In America we use ballots just as the Egyptians do, but without the government we wouldn't be able to perform ballots. In our local place of election almost everything is done by the government. The government supplies these places with ballots, automated machines, and sometimes even pencils! The same thing happens in Egypt when they are taking ballots; the government supplies almost everything for elections so the people can vote. But without any form of government how are they suppose to get the ballots out? I also agree with Marisa P. when she had said, "t will take far longer than 18 days to change thier political system, amend thier constitution, and decide what roles the citizens will have in thier country's government." I agree with this because in America, it took us around two years to set up our constitution. Egypt is in a very similar political standpoint as America was in the 1700's. It is going to take a while to be able to become a functioning government again.

AlisaG said...

A time that I could relate to these uprisings in these countries is when I was on a soccer team, and most of the players did not like the trainer and his ways of coaching, and he was asking for a lot of money. So, we all got together and with the help of our parents tried to get rid of the coach. His strategies would make us play worse, not better, and his training exercises wouldn't help at all; they would just make us extremely tired and we'd feel overworked. Our team was even losing players to other teams because they didn't want to work with this trainer anymore. This relates to the uprising in thses Arab countries-for example, Egypt. President Mubarak was protested against by millions of people because they felt like he was raising prices on things, causing alot of unemployment, and that Mubarak is just plain corrupt. Although at a higher level, this relates to my situation. The unemployment in Egypt relates to how people on my team were quiting, in both situations, because the leaders were "corrupt" in some way. Also because in both situations, money was an issue. Also, as I found out in the video that the people of Egypt were very, very happy when their president had resigned. This is similar in my own situation because after all those complaints, the coach had finally resigned, too. Our team was very happy about that, too. Another relation was how in Algeria, President Bouteflicka had changed their constitution. This was like how our coach had changed many rules in our team, such as, if we got to practice late (even if it was just a little bit, and we had a legitamate excuse) we had to run 3 extra laps at the end of practice. In both situations, this angried the people and players. This is an event or situation that relates to the uprising in Arab countries.

dylan m =P said...

3. I do think other Arab countries like Algeria will revolt against their governments like Egypt and Tunisia did because they will feel encouraged by Egypt’s success. Seeing the difficult struggle but relatively successful outcome of the Egyptian youth revolution, motivates other communities who are being repressed by a dictator such as Mubarak. Revolting against a strong dictator who has been in power for decades is scary and also a very difficult task. But Egypt’s powerful example shows the world that despite the loss of life and injury these risks for a better future are worth it. I am sure many citizens of other Arab countries, who are suffering from similar economic issues, feel there is nothing to lose by engaging in this movement of government change. Since most of the protesters are young adults they want change for their futures and the futures of their children. This revolution in Egypt reminds me of the American Revolutionary War. Although some of the reasons for both the revolutions were very different they were both citizens standing up against a controlling government. One reason that was the same was that both countries were having economic problems. The Revolutionary War ended positive changes for the New Colonies. I hope it is the same for Egypt and other Arab nations that are brave enough to revolt against the powerful government.

Joseph F. said...

I think that people should have full control over what type of government they have. People have always been complaining over the power and type of government their country has. What is happening in Egypt right now just proves my point. Mubarak has been ruling for 29 years and the protesters in Egypt say that he has become corrupt. If he has been corrupt why didn’t they revolt a long time ago? 29 years is a long time to be ruling if the people do not like him. My connection is when Hitler was in charge of Germany and he had way too much power. It is similar to what happened in Egypt because Hitler was a dictator and automatically given too much power and Mubarak acted like a dictator but actually a president and also had way too much power. That is why I think people should have full control over their government.

RayC said...

I think that people should have some control over the type of government in their country. I think this because if people had all control in their government, the government would not be very stable. That’s why I thing that people should have some say in their government, but not completely control it. It’s like children taking control of their parents. Parents are supposed to take care of and tell the children what to do, but if children are telling the parents what to do, then the family wouldn’t be stable.

Nick A said...

Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, I think that the people in other Arab countries, like Algeria, are going to do the same. In one of the articles it says, “On February12, 2011, a large number of people gathered in the capital city of Algeria to protest against the government of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika.” This shows that Algeria is following what Egypt and Tunisia have done. Like Rachel said, “Other Arab countries are ready to take a stand and fight for what’s right. Egypt and Tunisia hopefully gave them the hope and power they needed to proceed.” That is why I believe that if Egypt and Tunisia could make changes in their government, countries like Algeria can as well. In The New York Times it says, “At this present time it is a matter of waiting to see how the day develops for Algeria and its people. If Egypt and Tunisia can make changes many other Arab countries can also. Egypt and Tunisia clearly inspired Algeria to do something about its system of government.

Margot W said...

I think that people should have some control in a country like Egypt. I think this because that country has been like that for a while (unstable) and if one person stays in control like that, then the country will probably not get any better. People know what goes on in their town and their city, but if just one person is ruling, they don’t know what goes on in each and every town and city. But if the people had some control in that country then they could tell the higher people in government what is going on there and how they want to fix it. My connection to this is that it is our country. This is because we have a government like! Our governors and mayors listen to the problems that we have and ideas of how to fix them. Our country isn’t great but it is pretty good and if every country were like ours then this world would be a lot better.

Maisie W. said...

Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, I think that the people in other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same. I think this because in Algeria, as the second article states, on February 12 people protested the government. I think that other Arab countries will be inspired to do the same. Maybe, the citizens of these countries didn’t realize it would be possible to overthrow a government and just needed Egypt to show them. With the help of the army, Abdelaziz Bouteflika came into power- much to the disapproval of the people. Three decades later, he was still a ruler. A majority of the people were very angry and upset at the situation. As the man in the video said, he was embarrassed to be an Egyptian. I agree with Kelsey J. that the people of Algeria, and other Arab countries, should go about in a peaceful way to overthrow the government. Martin Luther King is an example of a man who went about fighting for what he believed in, without hurting one person. This reminds me of my third grade year, when a girl on my soccer team chopped off all her long hair. It was a big deal, and inspired me and several other girls to do the same. Egypt was able to overthrow their government, and now other citizens of other countries may be able to do the same because they see that it has been done.

Noah G said...

I think that now that Tunisia and Egypt have changes, other countries will follow. There seem to be many countries in which citizens are dissatisfied with their governments and are ready for the smallest spark to light the fire. Many of these countries seem to have autocratic dictators who do things to stay in power for life like amending their constitutions. Also, the articles mention how police and the army have been called in to keep the peace. That sounds like a very flimsy kind of peace. Also even though many people have pessimistic predictions about these revolutions, the article said that western security agencies thought the Egypt protests had a minimal chance for success, and look how they turned out. I also think people in other countries suffering under a dictator will see all the joy in Egypt and other countries and want to have a revolution. This reminds me off what we learned in class where, angry southerners left the union angered by Lincolns election. In both revolutions, they were angry over government, but in 1860, the revolution erupted in to civil war, while in Africa, the protests were peaceful.

Courtney D said...

After reading both articles I think that other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same. When reading the article it was talking about how Algeria was already taking steps to change there government already. Also Algeria is doing almost the same thing did. I think that after Egypt and Tunisia got their government changed it finally was a wake up call to the Arabs that they could do the same thing. THey can stand up for there rights and over throw the government. Like Logan said”“Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constitution, and both leaders have made close connections with the U.S.A.” What I think this means is that there ruler is more of a dictator. The Arab are standing up now and saying that they do not want this dictatorship anymore they want to be involved in politics. This reminds me of Socratic circles because in socratic circles people are talking a question that could have a totally different meaning to someone then another person. This usually starts a discussion and we all contribute thoughts. This relates to this article because instead of listen to just one persons idea they are listening to a bunch of peoples. This is why I think that Arab countries are going to do the same thing as Egypt and Tunisia countries.

Emma V. said...

Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia were able to change their government, I think that other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same. The people in Egypt were able to get Honsi Mubarak, the president of Egypt, to step down from his political position, so the Arab countries should be able to alter their government. I think that if the people in Arab countries really wanted to change their government, then they would need to have a lot of people protesting against it. In Egypt, the president had backed down because of the large crowds that were forming in streets. The revolution in Egypt reminds me of when the Constitution was first made. Many people hadn’t been satisfied with it because it didn’t protect their rights. Then the Bill of Rights was added to it to give people some rights. This connects to Egypt’s revolution because both situations are about how the government had changed to satisfy the people under its power.

Kaitlyn S. said...

I think people should have some amount of control over the government because some things the government does people don't agree with it and want to change it. I mean if we had more control over it and could actually give our opinion rather than the government ignoring it then there wouldn't be as much of political revolts like what happened in Egypt. Plus it states in the Constitution that the people have the freedom of speech and the right to petition against the government. But the people or the government should not have all the power of the government because like Leanne and Molly said about Hitler, it can get out of hand when there is only one leader. This all relates to parents and children because parents can dictate what you do as a minor and have most of the control. But as a child you can give your opinion on choices and also have some control in the relationship.

Andrew G said...

I think that people should be able to have some control over any country just not all of it. I think this because the people don’t have most of the control mostly the government does. Also if people didn’t have a say in life wouldn’t be fair. After I had read the article it said that people weren’t getting the thing that they needed; like food and things that were important. It also said that things were coasting too much money. Also in the Times for Kids article they said the unemployment was higher than ever for people. One thing that I noticed in the article that interests me was that in one of the articles Mr. Mubarak told the Egyptians that he wanted to be peaceful with them, even though the article stated that his supporters was fighting against the Antigovernment protesters. The scene happened at the Liberation Square. It also said that there were hundreds of people killed and injured. I think that what the two countries that made their countries better than the way they were, would be able to expire other’s to do the same!

Katie K said...

I think that the people should have a little more control over the government or at least be able to share the power of the government equally. The reason I say this is because when the government is overpowering they tend to block out the opinions of the people which soon leads to a revolt of the people as seen recently in Egypt. It is obvious that the people of Egypt where fed up with the ruling of the president Hosni Mubarak. It mentions in the TIME for Kids article that, “Angry demonstrators say that they are fed up with the Mubarak government. They complain that the unemployment is higher than ever and prices for food and other goods have skyrocketed.” The people of Egypt were unhappy with his way of ruling their country, they had, had enough of the years of their needs being unable to be met. They had demanded for lower prices on goods and food but they were ignored. If the people had more of a control than the government they would be able to force the president to step down from office or at least have equal control so that their needs as a country were fulfilled. Since the people had little control over their country they were forced to act in violence in order to have their message of anger to be heard in government. In the TIME for Kids article it shares that the transfer of power was not kept peaceful, “But on Wednesday, his supporters clashed with antigovernment protesters in Liberations Square. The attacks left hundreds of people injured. On Thursday, the fighting continued.” However sometimes violence may be the only answer in order to create change and in the video it reports of the celebration from the step down of the Egyptian President, “The people of Egypt were overflowing with joy at the departure of a man who held what seemed absolute power for three decades over this country.” My connection to the situation of how the balance of power between government and people is crucial in running a country is when the United States made their first Constitution. When the delegates of the states made the Articles of Confederation they granted too much power to the states and not the government. The government was too weak to handle foreign affairs let alone control their own country. The United States would have ended in corrupt if it wasn’t for the replacement of the Articles of Confederation with the still present Constitution. In both situations their wasn’t an equal balance of power. With Egypt, the people’s power was too weak, leaving them ignored. With the United States, the government’s power was too weak, leaving them unable to have much control over the country. That is my connection and opinions of the subject of a balance of power between people and government.

Ben L said...

I think that people should have complete power over the government. The purpose of government is enforcing the rules of society. The rules should be determined by not one tyrant, but the majority of the people they serve. Although the Mubarak, the Egyptian president, was elected by the people, he gained too much power and stopped doing what the people wanted. Instead, he followed his own agenda. That is one of the reasons why the citizens revolted in Egypt. Egypt needs a new constitution, which limits the power of the president, and provides checks & balances. I agree with Molly that the government leaders should be carrying out what the people want and not making their own laws. Otherwise, a revolution could happen.

Niko F said...

How much control should people have over the type of government in their country?
I think people should have total control of their government. I say this because it is better if the people say they want something and the government goes with something else, this can cause problems in the country. This could lead to protesting or mobs and fights. Like Molly said the government is just there to enforce it. Also the video that was posted shows how people respond when there is a dictatorship. They become very angry and want a new form of government. If people don’t have control of government the government can become a dictatorship and ruin a whole country. This reminds me of how Hitler become a powerful dictator and harmed many people not by killing but also emotionally. This is my connection and why I think people should have control of their government.

Jade Walker :) said...

I think that people should have a little control over their government. I think this because if they have a problem with their government they should be able to state their opinion, and try to make a difference. After all, isn’t the government for the people and by the people? An example of this is in Cairo where the people want to get rid of the president. In the Article it said that they repeatedly said leave. Also in the YouTube video one of the protesters said we are beginning to seek justice, and speak their minds. As you can see the people of Egypt want to change their government. This is another reason why I think people should have control over their government is so that they can make an impact on the government. Just as the president Hosni Mubarak listened to the Egyptians and agreed not to run presidentially again. The reason why I think people should have a little is because if the people have a lot of control over the government then the government is useless. I think this because every time someone steps into office the people that don’t like whoever is running will cause a raucous and get there way. As it is almost impossible to please everyone I would safely say that there would be a lot of impeached presidents. This is why I think that people should have a little control over the government.

Christian S said...

I believe that after Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their governments, other Arab countries like Algeria will be able to do the same. I believe this because in one of the articles I have read it stated that the actions of Tunisia sparked Eqypt to protest against its government. This shows that other countries can inspire other countries to do the same thigs. I also agree with Rachel, she said that in one of the articles it stated that the people of Algeria gathered to protest against their president Abdelaziz Bouteflicka. He was making amendments to the constitution to lengthen his stay as the most powerful man in Algeria. These events were similar to Egypts because they were both trying to take down a ruler. Alqeria was very inspired by Eqypt. Since, these events are already happening, they will continue and Algeria will follow in Egypt and Tunisia's footsteps.

Annamarie O said...

I feel that one year from the now that the government in Egypt will be more stable. I think this because the people of Egypt will have someone they actually like and will be able to choose who they want. Also, Egypt will have more freedom from now because they felt that their government was under dictatorship and they felt that their rights were being violated. Although this protest was not necessary and could affect the future amount of power certain people get, I still think that the people of Egypt will get their stuff together and forget about the past. The country just wants to become united for more peace and democracy. Which I believe that over time, Egypt could accomplish this. This reminds me of the revolutionary war. This is because the revolutionary war was a war between the people and their government. This is like the issue in Egypt because the people of Egypt are at war with their government. This is why I think the revolutionary war relates to the issue in Egypt.

Kimberly G said...

Q: How much control should people have over the type of government in their country?

A: I think that people should have quite a bit of control of their country's government. After all, they are the ones that are being controlled. By definition, social contracts are rules that define and limit the rights and duties of the people and the government in a society. With our Constitution (and, presumably, the Egytians'), the people can overthrow a government if it neglects its duties. The Egytians protested against their President, a Mr. Hosni Mubarak, to get him to resign. This is a perfect example of this part of our social contract.

Olivia O. said...

How much control should people have over the type of government in their country?
I think that people should have complete control of the type of government in their country. I say this because it is the country that the people live in, work for, and represent. If they are not happy with who is representing them, they will protest against the government and their leaders, and hurt their country by doing so. As seen in the video, after being freed from a total dictatorship, the people of Egypt were overjoyed. This showed how much a government in which the people have no control can really hurt a country. As it said in the Times for Kids article, "For seventh straight day, Egyptians gathered in Cairo to demand the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak… By some counts, a million people from all walks of life--teachers, students, farmers, doctors and shopkeepers--took to the streets on February 1." This proves that when people have the chance to control over the type of government in their country, they will come together to be able to do it. As Sarah C. said, "There probably isn’t a person out there who doesn’t want the ability to control their own lives." Another example of this was in the Time Magazine article, stating that Algeria is, "Fearing a full-blown uprising like those that have collapsed both the Tunisian and Egyptian regimes in one month." This has caused Algeria to change its government, and people are happier. It shows that when you use a government that people want, there is a lot less violence and protesting. This reminds me of when my tennis coach in Fire Island was treating people unfairly. Since he had been working at my tennis club for such a long time, I never thought to question his unjust ways. Finally, a group of friends and I decided to protest for what we thought was right. My tennis coach decided to let us decide more of which matches to play and where. He changed his policies because we made him realize that the people (me and my friends) should have more control over their government (my tennis coach) This accomplishment made me and my friends happy and proud. This connects to the articles we read and the video we watched because in both situations there were inequitable leaders, who were eventually overthrown because of their ways. This is why I think that people should have total control over the type of government in their country.

Sam K said...

Since Tunisia and Egypt have achieved major changes in their government I believe that Algeria will be able to revolt and make a change to their government as well. One reason is, like Rachel C said, that it appears that Algeria is following in Egypt’s footsteps. One way is that they had a large group of followers meet in their capital city Algiers to protest just like how in Egypt protestors piled in the streets of Cairo to protest. When Tunisia and Egypt revolted and stood to fight for a change in their government, it gave other Arab countries like Algeria to start their own revolts. Since the country of Algeria is aware of what has happened in Egypt and Tunisia, their government is prepared as well. They had cultivated relationships with the United States and European countries but none of them were interested in Algerians protesting against their government that put their president Bouteflika, who was more like a dictator because he made acts like allowing himself to be in power until he dies, to become unseated. Even though western intelligence agencies say that there will not be revolt because the country is still tired and recovering from the terrible civil war that went on for years, the people of Algeria are unpredictable and may prove the agency very wrong with the impact that Egypt and Tunisia had on boosting up the Algerian people to do the same. This reminds of when people are in a situation where someone has to step and be first for the others to join in. For example, if a bully is picking on a few kids separate from each other and no one speaks up or makes a move to stop it then nothing will change. But if one kid steps up and says that he’s being bullied by the mean bully, then the other kids may gain confidence and hope that they should speak out and make a change like the one kid who spoke up did. This is like the situation in these middle- eastern countries because once Tunisia revolted, Egypt gained confidence and hope to do the same to their country and they did it. Now it may be Algeria’s turn to revolt. It’s very clear that when Tunisia and Egypt successfully revolutionized against their current governments that they have inspired other Arab countries like Algeria, to follow in their footsteps and make the change themselves.

Olivia S said...

I think people should have full control over which type of government they have for their country. For example it should be up to the people living there whether it is a democracy, dictatorship, monarchy, and more. But I don’t think people should have full control over all of the government’s decisions. But when it comes to deciding whether your country has a democracy and can vote for candidates and be involved in the government should be only the decision of the citizens of the country. But after they have deiced how they would like their country to be run they shouldn’t be completely in control of their country making the final say about everything, such as laws and regulations some people may agree with but are put in place for safety. But the people should be involved a large amount in their government for example by using voting, when making major decisions that will affect everyone living there.

Casey W. said...

I was at an event like this by accidentally having a vacation in Washington DC during the Tea Party in 2010. This is like the article because both were protests about how the government was being run. The Tea Party was a group of people that think that the people should be running the government. The breakout in Egypt was about them forcing King Abdullah II to get rid of his prime minister and cabinet. Another similarity is when Mubarak said he wanted a peaceful transfer of power his supporters and opposes started a riot which lead to hundreds of people injured. At the Tea Party people didn’t fight with fists but with words. My connection will be with our civil war. In Egypt there was two sides like the North and South. Second they couldn’t agree and started a riot. These was a no lethal civil war between a group of supporters and non supporters. This how my trip to Washington DC was like the fight in Egypt.

Mike N. said...

Now that people in Tunisia and Egypt have achieved changes in their government, I do think that people in other Arab countries will be able to do the same. I think that they will be inspired to keep protesting even if some people get hurt or killed. because they know that other countries have achieved their goal and they will want the same. In the video, it showed a man who was grieving for his brother who was killed. People will realize that it may not be easy and that some lives might be lost. They will know that it took about a week for the president of Egypt to finally leave so they have to be prepared for at least that amount of time and maybe even longer. I think that it will be easier for them now because the president of Algeria has already started to make some changes in that country so he might be scared of being removed from office by the protests. Also, I think more young people are involved because they are able to communicate and plan protests through Facebook which was mentioned in the article. This will keep things more organized and planned and keep people motivated. If Algeria is successful then more and more countries will do the same thing by protesting and it will go on and on.

Clay F. said...

After reading the article, and watching the video, I think that other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same. I say this because, as it said in one of the articles, the two countries that were able to get rid of their ruler had many problems similar to those of Algeria’s. Also, the Algerians and other people like them could follow in the other countries foot steps and do similar things to help them to success. For example, in the text it told that the Algerians gathered in a revolt in a place, in their case, Tahrir Square. As Nick A. said, “This shows that Algeria is following what Egypt and Tunisia have done.” Also, I think that the, even though he is holding strong, Bouteflicka, the ruler, will cave in and resign after the pressures and the forces of the protests hits him. Even if it’s not fast, Bouteflicka will start to realize the passion of the people, and how they want him to resign, and eventually do as the other rulers, and leave his throne. As it said in one of the articles, the other countries gave hope and faith for the Algerians, as they carried, for example, Egyptian flags during their protests. This shows they are resting on the outcome of the others, and expect the same for them. A time that reminds me of this, is when the Americans wanted the British to let them be free, and for the British to step down as their leader. In both situations, the people are asking the higher power to step down, and are revolting through masses of people.

James K said...

What I think is going to happen to  Egypt and Tunisia in the next year is they are going to try and rebuild their government and try to bring peace. But when they do try to reform their government they are going to have a tough time because they are use to a dictators that it's going to be hard to work out a system that won't revert back to that. What I also think is they might have a great year and just try to figur stuff out. This reminds me when learned about French revolution and how they wanted a new government and it just reminds me of Egypt.

Daniel G said...

What I think what will happen is that the government will get better. I know this because now they don’t have a dictator that wants them to treat him like a god. The people don’t want someone like that. I think that this made them angry so they wanted change. I agree with Logan when he said "Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constitution, and both leaders have made close connections with the U.S.A." So in I think that Egypt will be much better in the year to come. The people will feel better about the government and they will have a new constitution.

Elise B. said...

Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, do you think the people in other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same?
I think so, if the situation is bad enough. People might try to revolt, or, the leaders will try to help. According to the Time for Kids article, there are kings in other regions that are trying to prevent an uprising. For example, the people asked King Abdullah II (of Jordan) to fire his Prime Minister and Cabinet. He also promised “to ensure decent lives for all Jordanians.” I think he is trying to please the people because they might not turn against him. The uprisings around the region might spark new resistance, and leaders are probably trying to prevent that. So, unless the situation is really bad and the leaders aren’t doing enough to help, the citizens might revolt.
But, in Algeria, the ban on political demonstration is going to be lifted. If there is to be a “revolution,” this will be a key part. With no ban, the people will be allowed to protest, and since this is the way Egypt and Tunisia won their changes, there is no doubt this will help Algeria. Also, like Rachel C said, the other Arabian countries can take a stand and fight for what’s right, and that Egypt and Tunisia hopefully gave the hope and power they need to proceed. This is like when we do Socratic circles at school because once the conversation gets going, people start sharing ideas and talking instead of awkwardly answering the questions. This is like the situation in the Arabian countries because once the uprisings began, other countries follow, like students do in Socratic circles. Using this connection, you can easily see how other countries could win freedom if they follow in Egypt’s footsteps.

Brian M. said...

I believe that a majority of the population should vote on the type of government they desire.Then they should come to a mutual agreement as to what type of government they want. This would give the population total and fair control over the type of government they have. An autocracy gives one person unlimited power. Some people may feel that the autocratic government is not of the best interest to them.They should have a say in choosing the government that is of the best interest to them. I can connect to Niko when he says when a dictatorship is formed, the people will be angry and want to change the form of government. That is my take on how much control people should have over the type of government in their country.

Sarah S said...

I think that people in other countries, like Algeria, will do the same as Egypt. I think this because if people are unhappy with the government then they will want change. In my opinion people will follow others because of their success. The rebellion of countries is like a domino effect on other countries, and once one country does something another country will follow then another. The domino affect started with Tunisia then Egypt and now maybe Algeria.
In the article, Arab Revolution: Will Algeria’s Regime Be Next to Fall?, it says, “First Tunisia, then Egypt. Now it could be Algeria's turn to free itself from autocratic rule.” It also said, “Algerian protesters chanted slogans during a demonstration in Algiers on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011.” This shows that the country is on the brink of rebellion because there are already protesters chanting slogans against the government. When people become free of all the bad things the government has brought them they become happy. In the video a man says, “Before that revolution I was ashamed to hold my Egyptian passport anywhere, even in the U.S. Now I’ll be proud to hold my passport anywhere in this whole world! I am proud to be Egyptian! I am Egyptian!” People are so proud to be who they are when things turn out alright. If Algeria decides to make that decision then they will rebel and become happier, and I think they will because of the results of the other countries.
The presidents of these countries don’t want to step down from their power because power is addicting and they want to have a lot of it and keep it for life. When the Egyptian president, Abdelaziz Bouteflika made a constitutional amendment that the two term presidency is now not affective and that you can be president as long as you want. He just wanted to keep power for himself and never give it away. If the Algerian president had done this also then the people will probably be mad and want change.
I agree with Rachel C. when she says, “Other Arab countries are ready to take a stand and fight for what’s right. Egypt and Tunisia hopefully gave them the hope and power they needed to proceed.” I agree because sometimes people need that extra “push” to get them going in the right direction.
A connection to this story is the Sudan civil war. Part of Sudan was unhappy with their government and the other part wasn’t. They had a civil war that lasted a total of two decades until they came to an agreement. This relates to the article because the civil war was because of the government’s actions. Half of the country agreed and the other half didn’t agree. In Egypt people are became angry with the government because of the dictator’s power.
This is how I think that Algeria will be affected by the downfall and domino effect of other countries like Egypt and Tunisia.

Kate M. said...

I think that a country's government can never be controlled entirely by the people or the government, you need a balance between them. By allowing the people to handle who represents them and voting,as well as what goes on in their lives on a smaller level (making decisions for towns and cities), you can give them a fair say in the government. However, if you hand everything over to them, I can't see that country accomplishing much because everyone would have different opinions- reaching agreements and settling arguments would be close to impossible between millions of people. On the other hand; you can't give the government total control because then the people will revolt, like the situation in Egypt.

Emma F. said...

I agree with Rachel when saying; now that people of Egypt and Tunisia have made changes in their government i believe that other Arab countries will want to do the same. In my opinion i believe that other Arab countries (like Algeria) will want to make changes in their countries too. It might just start a chain reaction. For example some citizens may be like, "if Egypt and Tunisia changed their government, why cant we?" In the article and video it describes how the people broke into protest about their government and their president. When other leader see this my guess is that they'll act quickly by making their government better and that they'll fix any problems before they're forced to leave their power. This reminds me of a situation that i've seen many times when a person stands up for something or someone they believe in. This is why i think people in Arab countries will definitely want to change their government or make it better.

Keyshawn.H. said...

After reading this article, I think the Egyptians were very brave to celebrate in the streets. They did that because they were very happy that their horrible President /Prime Minister, Hosni Mubarak has resigned. They have faced decades of terrible government because of him. Now they are chanting through the streets that they are proud to be an Egyptian. To answer the question regarding now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, do you think the people in other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same? I strongly believe so. Reason being is that after watching another country or person do something that you thought was impossible, it empowers you. I strongly believe they will now push harder and fight for their freedom. Having had such long years of hardship and struggle, Egypt deserve this moment tremendously. To answer the question, how much control should people have over the type of government in their country? I think people deserve some control. Reason being is that people in their countries do so much, for example paying taxes from their hard earned wages. It is unfair to expect the people to do these things as a sign of good citizenship and then give the government the entire control of the country without any say from the people.

Chelsea O said...

Now that the people of Egypt and Tunisia have achieved changes in their government, I believe that other Arab countries, like Algeria, will be able to do the same as well. I agree with Emma F when she had said "Arab countries (like Algeria) will want to make changes in their countries too. It might just start a chain reaction." I agree with this because other countries probably will want to make greater achievements and changes. It could make their country better; it could change it for the better. In one of the articles it had said “First Tunisia, then Egypt. Now it could be Algeria's turn to free itself from autocratic rule.” Which I believe it very well just might be. I also agree with Rachel C. when she stated " I feel that in this scenario Egypt and Tunisia are those “brave students” and the other Arab countries are the ones that hold back a bit until they feel ready and have the confidence." I completely agree with that. I think that helped me understand the situation better. What Rachel had said reminded me of how in class today, we were discussing the history comics. They are a comical way of expressing what is happening during the time frame, and for me it was easier to understand also.

Jessica Gardner-Shearer said...

In a year or so from now, I think that Egypt and Tunisia will find that their decisions will lead them into some entirely different hardships. Even though they have overcome a government that was oppressive and unfair, they have to agree on a new one and pretty much start from scratch. However, even though this may prove to be a tough time for the people of Egypt and Tunisia, I think they will stick with it and do whatever it takes to reach this goal. They worked so hard and went through so much to gain their freedom and to have their voices heard, that giving up is just out of the question. These are people who have suffered through poverty and many selfish rulers. If they pulled out now then all that effort would have been in vain, and they know that. A big reason I believe that there are tough times ahead is because they are trying to build up a government from practically nothing. And we, as Americans, has already been through that. From when we first became our own country, their was a lot of trial and error. Our first attempt at a constitution, The Articles of Confederation, was a huge mistake. And we've gone through everything from civil war to depression and our government is always being critiqued and modified. It has taken us hundred of years to get where we are, and even now we aren't perfect. Egypt and Tunisia have a very long way to go. But even though the road ahead is going to be one that leads to a lot of chaos and a lot of disagreement and frustration, in the long run I think everyone will benefit from the changes that have taken place.

Griffin Y said...

I think people should have a lot of control over the type of government in their country. This is because, as you see in cases like Tunisia and Egypt, the people were able to overthrow their government. In egypt's case, they were able to get several government officials to step down from their political seats. In Tunisia, their"unpopular" leader stepped down as well. I think that should show you how the people should have a lot of control. Also, I think the people should have much control because they are the majority of the country. The power shouldn't be left into the hands of a couple people. It should be in the hands of everyone to vote on tthe desicions. A connection I can make to Egypt and Tunisia's struggles is Sudan having recent violence. They just had a recent violent overthrowing of the government and Southern Sudan became independent. This relates by both being violent and both being upset with their political leaders.

Brendan D. said...

I think that people should have full control of what type of government they have. I think this because with people having full control they have an opportunity to make their country good and not come to problems. With the people having full control they can all work it out together instead of having one sides opinion, like with the government, they could have both sides collaborating and get every ones opinion in. In the first article it says that Mubarak has been ruling for the past 29 years but it also says how most people don’t like Mubarak at all. If they haven’t liked him for a while why didn’t they do something about it a while ago instead of waiting 29 years? People do have the right to vote so why didn’t they vote to not have him rule. Yes, some people agreed with Mubarak but it seems like most don’t, so the people against him should have won. I definitely agree with what Sarah C. when she said, “The people have a right to be happy in their own homeland.” I agree with this because when people aren’t happy in their homeland they leave or it causes many problems. My connection to this, like Brian said, is like when we start to talk about the chosen subject, we express our opinions on that subject. Then, the opinions could reach a higher authority, where they could be used in a positive way. This is what I think of this topic.

Marin K said...

Now that people in Egypt and Tunisia have achieved a major change in government I do think it’s possible for other Arab countries like Algeria to do the same. One reason is that the three situations are kind of similar. All three countries are trying to, or did secede from their current country due to an unfair government and extreme violence. Also both Egypt and Algeria had large crowds gather in the capital city to protest against the government. Like Rachel said, I think Egypt and Tunisia have given other Arab countries the strength to stand up for what’s right, and leave their country if that doesn’t work out. Also, if you look at most of the times people have wanted to secede from their country, when they couldn’t make compromises anymore, they were successful. Over time, I diffidently can see Algeria and other countries separating. Today on my car ride home from soccer my grandfather started telling me about how Libya, another Arab country that is also having problems, and part of the country is also looking to become a new independent country.

Lauren O. said...

To answer question number four, I think that people should have partial control over their country. I say this because, if people were to have total control over their country, it would probably end up a disaster, and would be a very chaotic situation. Even if people were to agree on the same ideas, like the government being corrupt, or high prices of food and gas, people might have different views or beliefs on that, causing everyone to want and or need different things. Although, at the same time, I do believe people should be able to decide what kind of government should run their country and what is best suited for their lives. I think the government should be their to enforce things instead of controlling almost everything that people do. I agree with Molly when she said,” … it matters of what the people need and want; the leaders are just their to enforce it. Therefore they should have the majority of control. When they don't have control, people protest.” So, to answer this question, I think that people shouldn’t have total control over their country, but at the same time, I think that the general public should be able to have a say on who runs their country. My connection to this is about school in general. There are teachers who enforce kids to do their work, and there is the principal who enforce teachers to do their jobs. Although the principal and teachers have most control over many things, I still believe the people they are enforcing things upon should be able to have a say on what they are controlling or doing.

Jake said...

I think in one year from now Egypt will be a more peaceful place because Their government will have a better leader and the unenployment rates will most likely go down. The prices of food and and other gods will go down as well. I think that people in this type of government should be able to speak to their government because it could be able to resovle problems with the way its working. I also think people should have a say in their government because the leader they have now is changing the unenployment rates and the prices of food go up higher than ever. But once the election in semptember is going, the people in Egypt will start to get jobs and the prices will gradually go down and the people will be happier.

AustinG. said...

I think in a year the government in Egypt will have changed for the better because, they were unemployed and prices for foods and goods sky rocketed. Egypt and Tunisia the 23 year rule of their president. Egypt and Tunisia had a general unhappiness and they need a new government to turn to. No figure leading the protesters in Egypt. Protesters in liberation attacks hundreds of people injured. The Egyptian army said they would not force the fellow citizens. It has stopped the violent a little. The Mubarak government has ruled Egypt for 29 years.

Eddie said...

I think that Egypt has gotten changes other countries will do the same. THis is because Egypt is no different than other countries around the world. If Egypt wants to chang then so can any other country. I agree with Logan when he said "Algeria is acting very similar to Egypt in that they both had/have rulers that have declared themselves rulers for life by changing the constituion." I agree with this statement because it is true. If they are so similar then they think that they can go against the constitution. That is why I think that Egypt thinks that they can go against the constituion and change their government.

Andrew L said...

To answer question number four I think that people should have the right to have partial control of their contry because if none of the citizens had control and the government had total control, the country would be run as a dictatorship. And no one likes dictatorships and they don't last forever. Also if people didn't have the right to have a say in the goverment prices will probably go up on food and gas and people will start to protest and rebel. And the government will get corrupted and crash. And in the Constitution it says that people have the right of free speech, and if the government does not allow the people to say what they want they are violating the Constitution. That's why I think the people should have the right to have partial control of the government.

Sebastian Taylor said...

Just recently countries in multiple Arab countries, people have started protesting against their current governments. This could bring up a question like, "How much power should people have over the type of government in their country?" A utopian country, in my mind, would have the people and the government balancing the power of what type of government the country maintains. Many people, especially in Western societies like the U.S. think that democracy is the best form of government. A direct democracy is where the people directly control what happens in their government, although this doesn't always work out. In this case, I agree with Ray's statement, "If people had all control in their government, the government would not be very stable." This is because there are multiple instances in history where this method does not work. For example, the U.S. elected Andrew Jackson as President, which, although in its self was a republican act, was based on ideas that Jackson would do exactly as the people wanted. But there were multiple different views spread across the U.S. on the topic of expansion, so not much could be decided. This shows that the government of a country should be controlled by consensus of the people logically based on the current situations occurring at the time. It also shows that the people should not always have complete control of what type of government should rule the country because they "can't decide what they want." In the Declaration of Independence, it says that a long lasting government should not be changed for transient or light causes. Of course, it would be wrong to judge others by our rules, but from the expressions of joy from the resignation of their leader, Hosni Mubarak, in Egypt, one could expect to find that the people were discontented with the amount of power their government had and how it used that power. The people of Egypt also had less of a say in the government that the government itself, as can be seen by the act if the president altering Egypt's constitution to keep himself in power for the rest of his life, and the people revolting. Equally, a system in which the government has complete control over the form of itself doesn't always work either. There have been violent riots in which people are hurt, or even killed in Algeria, much like when the medieval Russian serfs revolted against Catherine the Great. In both instances, although the specifics aren't very similar, the objectives to overthrow the existing government to improve living conditions where they live is apparent. This shows that a government in which the people have no power to change the form of their government is not ideal. In conclusion, a country where there is a balance between the government's and the people's power over the form of the government seems to me to be the best way for a country to run.

Emma F. said...

Now that the people in Egypt and Tunisia have changed their government, i agree with Rachel when saying i think the other Arab countries will be able to change their government too. In one of the articles it said that Egypt convinced their leader to step down after days of protest and violence. I think it will take other Arab countries longer to do this since their leaders will not step down voluntarily. Other Arab countries are starting to panic. They feel that their people will revolt. The president of Egypt and the president Tunisia changed their constitutions so that they could be in power till they died. This caused some uproar in the peoples minds. In Algeria the same thing is happening. I think the people might feel if they are going to be free why cant we? This is why i think that the other Arab countries will try to change their government.

Marin K said...

I do not think the U.S. should take military action in Libya for numerous reasons. With 47,000 soldiers in Iraq, and 100,000 soldiers in Afghanistan, it would be extremely costly both financially, and in the sense that we already have enough deaths of our countries soldiers as it is. Like Rachel said, the total cost of war since 2001 is $1,162,672,998,897, and increasing at a fast pace day by day; we really cannot afford to enter another war. Along with that, there is a concern that Arabs will be very angry if we enter the war, and there are warnings against foreign intervention in Libya. One time I had to make the decision as to whether or not I was going to play for the Shepaug soccer team, or New Milford Soccer team. I had to decide whether I wanted to stick with playing with everyone I’ve known since I was very young, or to go to the New Milford team with a better program, only knowing Sarah S. In both cases an important decision had to be made, but in my case, it was not a highly costly decision.