Monday, December 13, 2010

Should There Be A Tax On Soda?

Taxes have a number of purposes. We use taxes to collect money for the government. We also use taxes to encourage behavior that we support or discourage behavior that we don't support. For example, people who buy houses, make donations to charities, or have children get tax breaks; people who buy alcohol or cigarettes pay higher taxes. With this in mind, many governments are thinking about taxing soda. Click on this link and read the article http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-soda3-2009oct03,0,7367430.story
Then, answer the following:
Do you think that we should have a tax on soda in order to discourage people from drinking it and to raise money?
Do you think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors?

As you write, please remember the addition to our rubric, the connection. Using the phrase "this reminds me of..." might help.

Very Strong Blog Contribution(10/10 points)
Makes a connection by identifying a person, place, or situation that could inform the blog topic and explains the relationship; may compare or contrast the two.

Solid Blog Contribution(7/10 points)
Attempts to make a connection by identifying a person, place, or situation that could inform the blog topic, but does not explain the relationship.

Not Even Close (no credit)
Does not make a connection.

58 comments:

Luke W said...

I think that they should tax soda and sugary drinks. Although they do not tax “food”, I think that this is a different story. The article that was provided shows very valid points, such as; “California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage” this shows something very good that would come from this tax. Another major point is that it would also bring down the obesity rate extremely. The obesity rate in America is horrible (but that would be a different blog topic… so we won’t get into that). That is why I think that there should be a tax on soda.

Emma V. said...

No, I do not think that there should be a tax on soda and sugary drinks. I think that because some taxes that people have are practically consuming all their money. An example from the article that showed how much money we could lose was, “California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage.” With all the taxes you’d think the government would already have enough money. Also, there is sugar in almost all drinks, so people would have to pay even more money to get drinks other than water. If Americans are struggling now with money then it could only get worse with another tax. I agree with Luke that the obesity rate in America is an issue, but there are other ways to decrease obesity that don’t include taxes. I think that we should not use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors because there are better ways of influencing people. In some ways this topic relates to the tea act. They relate because both are about people paying a tax on beverages to help the government gain more money. Those are the reasons that explain why I think there should not be a tax on soda.

Elise B. said...

I think that if there is a tax on soda, there should be taxes on other things like candy, fast food, and other unhealthy choices. Obviously, soda is bad for you. It is full of harmful dyes and chemicals. There is so much sugar; you can practically see the crystals. However, if soda and sugary drinks are being taxed, why not tax other unhealthy foods? Just taxing drinks wouldn’t lower obesity rates much. But, I don’t think this tax should be in place at all. Like Emma said, it reminds me of the Tea Act. It puts a little too much control on what we eat and do, and people are certain to get mad, just like in the 1700s. We, as people in this country, have the right to life. If this is how certain people choose to live it, then that is their choice to make, not the governments. How weird would it be to live in a country where you can have free speech, religion, and press, but not have the freedom to drink a certain thing without being taxed? Also, it could affect the economy. If there is a tax on soda, the sales will go down. People won’t buy as much. This could force the leading companies to lay off some workers, and jobs will be lost. This is why this tax should not be in place.
I don’t think that the government should enforce taxes to encourage certain behaviors, or discourage others. This could turn out very badly. For example, let’s say that the government thinks we use too much fuel. They make the price go up to $10 an hour. There are many farmers in New York, and they need to drive to NYC to sell their merchandise. When the prices of gas go up, none of them can pay to drive their food there. All the food would rot, and no one would have fresh food in New York. Would this be a good idea? No! This is why having taxes to encourage/discourage certain behaviors is a bad idea. Plus, it is a little too controlling, to charge money on things the government finds unsuitable.

Rachel C. said...

I think that there should be a tax on soda, but if there is why shouldn’t there taxes on other junk food and unhealthy drinks? Surely, soda is filled with sugar and other harmful dyes and chemicals, however it would be almost impossible to socially engineer people by putting taxes on unwholesome, sugary foods and drinks. Placing extra taxes isn’t going to lower obesity rates; it is the people’s personal choice to change who they are. Even if the taxes on soda raised money for the government, it would not benefit the people of the U.S. in any useful way. Americans are already struggling to keep their jobs and provide for their families and by putting a tax on soda might subordinate consumption rates and harm the leading corporations. I agree with Elise B. when she says that this will lead to soda companies laying off workers. Why do we want to hurt the economy anymore than it already is? This reminds me of the French Revolution when King Louis XVI of France faced a financial national crisis in the late 1700’s and rose all food prices. The combination of bad harvests and rising food prices was further aggravated by an inadequate transportation system which hindered the shipment of bulk foods from rural areas to large population centers, contributing greatly to the destabilization of French society in the years leading up to the Revolution. The people rebelled against the King. I feel that America is in a similar position to France in the 1700’s but in different ways. This is why I think that there should not be a tax on soda.

I don’t think that the government should enforce taxes to encourage certain behaviors, or discourage others. The people of America are the ones who can make a difference and/or change their habits. I also believe that the government could be considered too controlling and unfair. This is why I think that the government should not use takes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors!

Zack C said...

I agree with Rachel and Eilse if there is a tax on soda, there should be taxes on other unhealthy foods like snack and fast food. I think there shouldn’t be a tax on soda. I agree that it is bad for your health, but it will not decrease the amount of soda that is purchased. If a tax is put on soda it will be nothing more than an inconvenience. The choice to drink soda is not because of the price but mostly the taste. How would you get companies like coke and Pepsi to allow more taxes on their products than other companies? These companies aren’t just going to allow the cost of their products to be raised by so much. I also think that if taxes are placed on sodas the obesity rate would not go down.

Olivia D said...

Yes, I think that there should be a tax on soda and other sugary drinks. I think this because, it would make people want to cut down on these drinks. The U.S. has the most obese people in the world. Having soda without consequences does not help this problem.
I think Rachel brought up a very good point, if there is to be a tax on sugary drinks, why not on sugary foods? While it is the poeple's choice whether or not to consume these drinks and that taxes may not completely alter their decisions, I do think it will have some kind of influence.
This reminds me of an english prompt we had to take previously, it was whether or not we should have a vending machine in the library. Once again, it is the desicion of the people, it is their choice. However, still, i do think that either way it would influence them.

Liam K said...

People get taxed on alomost everything that they buy. I do not see why the government has to now tax soda and other sugary drink. I do understand that the government wants to discourage people from drinking soda, but this is not a fair solution. If the government is concerned about America getting unhealthy, then they should discourage soda drinkers by creating commercials or adds with the reasons why soda is bad. It is unfair to tax things just because the government does not support something, like soda. I think the government gets enough money from the things that are already taxed. This situation reminds me of when my mom limits me to two sodas a day on special vacation. My freedom to soda was being limited because my mom (the government) was discouraging me to drink to much soda. Overall, i think that the government needs to find a different way to make more money without getting in the way of people's free diets.

Sarah C. said...

I think there should be a tax on soda. Our economy right now obviously isn’t very good. The article says, “...(states)could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage.” Don’t you think that the government needs this money? Also, it would help lower the obesity rates in America. If people stop buying so much soda or other sugary drinks, they wouldn’t be able to consume all of that sugar and high-fructose corn syrup that makes us so unhealthy. I think that taxes should be used to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. Things like smoking and alcohal are poisening our air and putting us at risks for cancer and injury. Hitting people were it hurts (in the wallet) is a good way to prevent dangerous behaviors. This situation reminds me of a powerpoint that our sixth grade science teacher showed us. We were talking about ways to cut down on pollution. One slide was about how China put a tax on plastic bags, so that people would stop using them. This way, there would be less plastic bags polluting nature.

Krissi Koolpants said...

I wouldn’t want a tax on soda but, I think it might be necessary. I say this because if the people of he united states are complaining about obesity and how the U.S is unhealthy. My train of thought is that if we were to put a tax on soda maybe people would believe if you don’t want to pay so much for it maybe, you don’tneed it. As Sarah cava said, more soda cans equals more pollution. We all talk about how we find soda cans and six pack soda rings all over the ocean and animals are dying due to this. As I said before this can be solved if there is a tax on soda

Julie said...

Yes and no, yes because soda can make students hipper and students would get all wild up and they can’t calm down even if you try to sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t. No because students who can calm down shouldn’t suffer of those who can’t and that isn’t fair but mostly I’m going with no.

Ana Can Flyy said...

I don't think there should be tax on soda because i think it's pretty dumb for there to be a tax on it. why would you want to pay the governtment for soda?
i mean it's something to drink to and to keep you hydrated. some peole don't have the money to pay because of the economy why would we want to charge them more?

Ray is awesome said...

I think that here should be a tax on soda because it would help many problems in our community. For example, it would stop obesity for many people because they wouldn’t buy it as much. It would also help kids, because they wouldn’t get so hyper all the time so it would help them in school. Another reason is that it would help some addictions to soda because they wouldn’t want to buy it and they will eat healthier foods.

Katie K. said...

I have a very mixed opinion on whether or not there should be a tax on soda. One reason I think that there shouldn’t be a tax on soda is because if we raise the price on soda it could deny someone the right to buy it at all. Therefore raising the price on soda by using taxes would be considered unconstitutional because the government has placed a restriction on the people’s freedom to choose what they buy. Another reason I think there shouldn’t be a tax on soda is because it would hurt the U.S. Beverage Industry. The higher price would lead to less consumption which would result in lost sales and profit for its manufacturers. This would have a negative affect on the economy. I agree with Luke in that one positive aspect that would come from placing taxes on soda would be, the gain in revenue from which states would benefit. In the article it says, “The Health Advocacy group released a study this week that estimates budget-strapped states-including California- could generate a combined 10$ billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of coke or other beverage.” Another reason I believe there should be a tax on soda is because it will lesson the difference of price between sugary drinks and healthier drinks (milk). Right now the price of price of milk is almost double the price of soda, if there was a tax on soda then people might chose milk over soda because the gap in prices isn’t as noticeable. All in all I believe that taxes shouldn’t be used to discourage or encourage certain behaviors because it is unconstitutional. This situation relates to one event in my life. One time I asked my mom if I could go to the mall, she responded by saying that I had to do all my chores before I left. The fact that I had to do chores before I left discouraged me from wanting to go to the mall. In both situations someone used a technique to discourage someone from doing something. Those are my opinions on the soda tax and how I relate to the situation.

Emma R. said...

I agree with Emma V. i don't think there should be a tax on sugary drinks or foods. First of all i don't think it would keep people from drinking soda. People might actually drink it in a protest of outrage. In the article it says, " The government is controlling what we eat, when we eat, and how we eat." I agree with this statement isn't against are rights to control what we do?
Our country does need money to help the economy, however people in the U.S.A are having a tough time as it is and don't need more taxes to increase there bills.
I don't think taxes should be put on things to discourage behaviors, i feel that it's a parents job to say, don't eat this, don't drink this, not the government! Yes, America has some bad eating habits but by promoting exercise, and eating healthy will do a lot more good than taxing sugary drinks.

Dallas M said...

I agree with Emma V. Yes I know soda is bad for you, but as Emma said, if they tax soda and sugary drinks, then they are taxing almost every drink other then water . Another valid point Emma made was that a lot of Americans are already struggling, and taxing drinks would just make it harder on them. I do understand that it would help discourage people from buying these un-healthy drinks, but the government can’t just go around taxing everything they find as a hazard.

I also do not think it is a good idea to tax things to try and either encourage or discourage certain behaviors. I mean, come on really? The government has no real need to just go around taxing everything to try and change someone’s thinking or behavior.

Niko said...

I do and do not think there should be a tax on soda. I think this for many different reasons. For in favor of taxing, I think that it will help the government a little to improve only if they invest in something meaningful. So if we do this I think we should have a say on where the money goes. Also if the money goes to a charity that would good to because it will help homeless people out and people who are staving, especially around the holidays. But also I also think there shouldn’t be a tax because it could lead to many bad things. If there is a tax and the government invests in something bad and it makes the economy go down then the government will raise the tax and now we will have to pay more. Also some people might go on strike or something and will never buy soda again and then shortly after people will protest in a similar way of the Boston tea party. So mostly my position is there should not be a tax. That is why I think there should not be a tax on soda.

Alden Cain said...

I think there should be a tax on soda. Our government is in so much debt and simply charging seven more cents for every tweleve ounce can could really make a difference. It said it could raise over ten billion dollars. That amount of money really could help our economic crisis. I agree with Krista about how she said there is so much pollution and soda cans are always being tossed into the ocean, or the woods, or on the side of roads and so many animals are dying because of things like this.
While I think we should have a tax on soda I agree with Niko that many people may not think this is such a good idea. People may really protest against this and it could (hopefully not) turn into something like the Boston Tea Party. It probably wouldn't get to be that much of a problem but people could and might protest against this.
Taking that into consideration I still think there should be a tax on soda, because it would help the obesity in our country, and it would help pollution along with our economic problems.

Maisie. said...

I think that there should be a tax on soda. For one reason, as the article stated, “California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage.” $10 billion… That’s a lot of money! We could use this money for our school systems and improving our towns. If California did tax soda and raised $ 10 billion, thousands of poor schools could have a million dollars each year. And seven cents extra isn’t even that much. When we get a bunch of pennies and nickels back from purchases, we usually throw it in the tip jar on the counter, or it gets lost in our pockets. Katie said that it might restrict people from buying it, but most people won’t stop buying it because of seven cents. This reminds me of how every Christmas and birthday, my Grandmother gives me $100. My mom makes me put half in the back for college. At the time, it may be a little frustrating, but after a few years it’s really added up. I have over $1,000 saved, and when the time comes to go to college I will be so glad. This is why I think there should be a tax on soda.

Christian St said...

Truly I wouldn’t care either way if soda was taxed. I do believe that people should have freedom in what they buy so taxing the soda would just make people mad. If they want to buy sugary drinks that aren’t very good for them then so be it, “let them run their own lives.” I know there is an obesity problem in the U.S and the tax on soda may eliminate some soda buyers. The tax will make the soda more expensive and the U.S is in an economical crisis so many people would definitely stop buying. Like Elise said it would be like the tea tax in the 1700’s. Many would think it was totally unfair and a rebellion could occur if more serious items are taxed like soda. Overall there are goods and bads to taxing soda but I could care less about the tax knowing that I barely ever drink soda.

Ryan B said...

I believe that there should be a tax on soda. I think this because nearly everything that is sold commercially is taxed, why should their be an exception for some sugary drink. Also, if there is no tax on something unhealthy, or if even the price is lowered, people will be attracted to it and begin to run their lives on it because it is cheap and easy. The last thing the heaviest country in the world needs is another excuse to buy a sugary, fat filled drink. I also agree with Alden, with this plummeting economy, the government needs as much money as they can get to help "dig us out of the hole," we made. We need to repay money somehow, and taking off taxes does NOT help. This is why I believe we should still tax soda or any other beverage for that matter.

Kimberly G said...

No, I do not think that the government should place a tax on soda and other sugary drinks to discourage people from drinking them. Sure, the idea has it's upside, but, in this case, the government is thinking of ways to have the citizens of the United States do what the govenment wants them to do. Their solution is to tax behavior that they do not like, therefore discouraging it. Sure, smoking cigarettes and downing sodas every day is not good for someone's health, but it is the individual's own decision as to whether or not they smoke cigarettes and down sodas every day. There are two other reasons to tax soda, the first one being that taxing soda would help the US to make more money. The second reason for doing this is to lower the obesity rate. Taxing soda may or may not give the government more money. After all, the people are strapped for cash, too. If a tax was placed on soda, wouldn't less people buy it? The article includes a quote from the American Beverage Association. "The association between sugar-sweetened soft drinks and obesity, if it exists at all, is so weak." If that is true, why place a tax on soda and sugary beverages to discourage it from being consumed? This reminds me of a prompt that the students of SVMS had to do a long time ago. The prompt was about whether or not the school should get a vending machine to raise money for sports.

Eddie said...

I believe that there should be tax on soda. I think this because soda is not too much money and tax on it will just add 6% of the sodas coast. I agree with Ryan Bollard when he says " nearly everything that is sold commercially is taxed, why should there be an exception for some sugary drink?" and with an economy this bad the government needs a lot of money to help get us out of recession. But if a lot of people are like obsessed with the soda it may turn out to be somewhat like the Boston Tea Party. The tax on tea made the colonists very angry, causing a lot of people to start a protest on the tax of soda. If we need to repay money to the government because of the economic problems why would we take off taxes on one of Americas favorite drinks? This is why I we should have taxes on soda.

Noah G said...

I think there should be a tax on soda. For one thing, it increases the obesity epidemic and that isn’t a good thing. A tax of only one or two cents could raise a lot of money and dig us out of the recession. Also, soda is so cheap that a small tax would not affect most people, and consumption wouldn’t go down. I disagree with Niko that people might strike and go Boston Tea Party on soda. I don’t think people care about soda that much. This reminds me of the Tea Act as two popular substances are taxed. However, In one case the tax was heavy and did not help the colonists at all, while in this case tea doesn’t make fat people, and soda does, while a tax on soda would only help.

Nick A said...

Yes i do think their should be tax on soda. I think this because many people in the United States drink soda, and this means if their is tax on soda the government will have more money to try and make this country run better. The government needs money to run well. Like Maisie said, “California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage.” $10 billion… That’s a lot of money! We could use this money for our school systems and improving our towns. I think our government could use this money our economy isn't that great at the moment. It also might stop many people from buying it, but that is actually good because soda is not the best thing for you to drink, and if people drink so much of it on a daily basis that might lead to obesity. I agree with Niko that many people may not think this is such a good idea. People may really protest against this and it could (hopefully not) turn into something like the Boston Tea Party. It probably wouldn't get to be that much of a problem but people could and might protest against this. That is what i think about this matter.

Leanne M said...

Yes, I think there should be a tax on soda. I say this because it would be good for the government. The article said "many states might be able to close gaps in their budgets by placing a tax on soda and other sugary drinks." If there is a tax on soda there might be a lower incidence of obesity, diebetes and other costly chronic diesases. The tax that would be collected might also be used for charities and other things. I agree with Noah when he said a tax of only one or two cents could raise a lot of money. I think that would be a good thing for everyone. That is why I think there should be a tax on soda.

Brian D. said...

I think that there shouldn’t be a tax on soda, because it doesn’t really help cut down on obesity in the country. It even said that in the article. Another reason is that the government shouldn’t tax us JUST to fill their budget, which would technically be like stealing money. The article did say that this would generate about $10 billion, which would be good for the economy. I agree with Emma V. that it would be like taxing almost every other drink available to us besides water, and that would be a really unfair way to control what we eat and drink. This reminds me of the Boston Tea Party, because this event is like the Tea Act. The Tea Act put a tax on tea, which made the colonists angry and caused the Boston Tea Party, which destroyed a lot of tea. This could happen, but it could be prevented by not putting a tax on soda.

Maddy M said...

I believe that there should be a tax on soda. While it may not make people buy less soda, the government is at least getting something out of an unhealthy decision that many Americans make everyday. Some people buy soda because it can be cheaper than a snapple, juice or vitamin water.(I'm not saying those choices are better for you). At the same time, I do not agree with the idea of the government putting taxes on things they think are negative for you, such as drinking soda or smoking. I completly agree with the article when it says, 'The tax code should not be used as a tool for social engineering. Nor should it be an instrument for penalizing individuals' personal food choices-choices that the government officals find distasteful'. The statement about social engineering reminds me about "The Giver". In the book, the community makes decisions about what goes on in their area like our local government does, but they also control other things too, such as when the community eats and what job everyone in the community has. I am not saying that I feel that our government is controlling every decision we make, but I feel that if people are taxed on things the govermennt disaprove of then people are losing some of their voice in our nation along with the ability to chose what is right for themselves and their families.

Sam K said...

I think that our government should place a tax on soda to discourage people from drinking it and to raise money because, it could reduce consumption of soda, obesity, help the economy make money, and other diseases or problems that come from soda. Like Elise B said, “Obviously, soda is bad for you”, with this in mind, then why wouldn’t you want to tax it if it just leads to problems? There are no good things from soda besides that it tastes good and is enjoyable. Around 34% of America’s children between the ages of 12-19 are obese. That’s the age where the most soda is consumed. If there was a tax on soda, who knows how many people that will save from obesity. There’s a possibility that this tax will decrease the amount of soda that is purchased, therefore Americans will consume less soda which will decrease obesity and possibly other issues like diabetes or weakened immune systems. Not only will this help the people who have soda, but it will also be a good money maker. The article says that a study shows that approximately 10 billion dollars could be made be made a year if there were a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of soda. This will help our economy very much as well as improving states’ budgets. This reminds me of alcohol beverages because there are taxes for them and soda could be considered a child’s alcohol so shouldn’t it be taxed as well? Even though it’s not as dangerous as alcohol, there are still bad effects just like alcohol has. That’s why I think that there should be a tax on soda.
I do not think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. I think this because like I said about alcohol, there are many laws that come from alcohol, for example, drunk driving. The tax on alcohol does not discourage people from the certain behaviors, the laws do. Each individual does not need more taxes to influence their behaviors. I do not think it will make much of a difference so it would be unfair to charge people more for something that’s not going to work effectively. That’s why I do not think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors.

Ben L said...

I think that the government should not tax soda because the government shouldn’t decide what people should drink. The government cannot choose people’s personal choices. I think that putting taxes won’t stop people from buying it. Some people are obese and they should drink sugary soda sometimes. In Other alternatives, people can drink diet soda, iced tea, and water! This reminds me of McDonalds in 2004 when the government got mad at them because they were serving supersized French fries, milkshakes, burgers, and coke. The adult meal combo with soda (that’s supersized) has 189 grams of sugar and 5,000 calories! I disagree with Olivia D. because that people can make better choices. They can decide whether or not they want sugary soda. I also disagree with Sarah C. because you can’t get cancer when you drink soda.

Annamarie O said...

Personally I feel that they should put tax on soda. I say this because it will encourage people not to drink this unhealthy drink. By putting tax on it will make the people not want to spend money on it which will help them stop drinking it. It could lower the amount of diabetes and help raise money. Both aspects are good but like most people with addictions it could be hard to quit. For example, if someone were addicted to drinking soda and didn’t have very much money, the soda taxes would be too high for them. However, this person would still buy it and eventually be short on money. This reminds me of one of my friends that is obsessed with soda… if taxes went up then that could really be a waste of money for her. Another idea this reminds me of, like Emma said, was the tea act. This is because in the tea act it was when the British put taxes on a beverage and in this case its debating whether or not there should be a tax on soda or not.

dylan m said...

I think we should have a tax on soda to discourage people from drinking it. Since soda is a less expensive alternative than all natural drinks such as milk and juice, people from lower socio-economic groups buy it because it is cheaper. Because this population drinks so much soda, they tend to develop health problems such as obesity and diabetes. Also soda has zero nutritional content, other than taste there is nothing good in it. Taxing soda will not only help reduce health risks related to food or drinks with high fructose but it will also send a strong message to the US citizens to stop drinking soda and make healthier choices about what they eat and drink. If the government placed a tax on soda it should be used for purposes such as medical research and studies for diabetes, obesity, and other chronic disorders. This case reminds me of the taxation on cigarettes even though cigarettes create greater health risks. Similarly, with this proposed taxation on soda, the government is trying to discourage consumers from purchasing these less healthy products. While it might feel like the government is controlling us, often times, the same people who are buying soda, also do not have health insurance and therefore their medical related issues from drinking and eating (or smoking), are financially supported by taxpayers.

Kaitlyn Smith said...

I think that there should not be taxes on soda because the government has already created so many taxes for different things. Also it is consuming our money, just like what Emma said, and we wonder why people are getting poorer and poorer. I mean the government already controls so much. Soda may not be very healthy but it's our choice ad individuals to drink it or not.

I also feel that the government should not be able to encourage and discourage objects by taxing them because it's our desicion, their opinion. It would be very unfair for them to rule our lifes. If it should be anyone encouraging or discouraging items is ourselves not taxing them to make a point that they have to America is honestly dictating and last time I checked that's not our type of government.

Laura V said...

I don't think they should put a tax on soda and other sugery drinks. I don't think it's fair that I would have to pay extra for a coke. And anyway, why does the government need the extra cash?? There are taxes on almost everything (except food & clothes) and that just puts people in dept. The article said "California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage." And what is going to happen to that $10 biillion?? I don't think the article mentioned where it's going to. As far as I know that money is just headed for the governments pockets. Why not let the people keep their money? Taxing soda is just unfair. It's just like during the 1700's when Britian taxed the tea that was sent to the colonies. So why do it again? It ended in disaster the first time. Taxing soda is a bad idea.

AlisaG said...

I think there should be a tax on soda. First of all, as many others have mentioned, it would reduce obesity in the U.S. which is a big problem. As studies show, soda is a major factor of obesity in this country, as Obama said. The taxes of the soda not only reduce obesity, but the money really could fill up the gaps of payment that our weak economy desperately needs. “California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage.” This is a great opportunity to improve our economy. In my opinion, people are buying way too much soda and this is causing obesity along with many other health issues. For people who may think this is selfish of the government, I think it’s not because they are doing it also because they want to improve the health of the U.S. population. As Sam said, about 34% of the population is obese. Another point, as Alden said, is that soda cans being left around is a big source of population. This is really a win-win situation! I do think in most cases that taxes could/should be used to encourage or discourage certain behaviors, as long as it’s reasonable. Since the economy is so bad, not only would it influence the behavior of the people in the way intended, but also raise a lot of valuable money for our government who really needs it. An example that relates to this situation is that if I get a really good report card, she will get me a nice surprise gift. This encourages to try my very best to succeed in school, and aim for all A’s. This is a lot like how taxes on soda would discourage buying soda, since it’s very unhealthy. This is what I think about this topic.

Brian M said...

I think that we should put a tax on soda. This would stop the drinking of this unhealthy product. Just like Dylan said, “Since soda is a less expensive alternative than all natural drinks such as milk and juice, people from lower socio-economic groups buy it because it is cheaper." That is very true. Drinking too much of the sugary drink can cause many health problems such as diabetes. If soda costs more money to buy, less and less people will keep drinking it. The more people stop drinking it, the healthier our country will become. On the upside of taxing soda. Our economy will be much better. There are many people who would stop drinking soda because of the price, but many who will keep buying it which would make a lot of money. That is why I think we should use the taxing of soda to stop people from buying soda, and to also raise money for our country.

Sarah S. said...

I think that there should be a tax on soda and other sugary drinks because then it would lower the obesity rate in the United States. It would also make more money for other things like peoples paychecks, construction, and would make more money for the store that a machine could be found. In the article it said, "Every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else. Obviously it's not the only factor, but it is a major factor," the president said in a recent interview in Men's Health magazine.” The obesity rate in the US is very high compared to other countries around the world. But I also agree with Elise B. when she says, “I think that if there is a tax on soda, there should be taxes on other things like candy, fast food, and other unhealthy choices. Obviously, soda is bad for you. It is full of harmful dyes and chemicals. There is so much sugar; you can practically see the crystals. However, if soda and sugary drinks are being taxed, why not tax other unhealthy foods?” This would lower the problem with obesity in the US and would help people make the right choice in the food that they eat because the junk food would be more expensive and the healthier food would be less expensive and better for you. A connection to this problem is like when England put taxes on tea and other merchandise in the 1700s. They had a type of control of what the colonists bought like if we put a tax on soda then less people would drink soda and then the obesity rate would most likely go down. This is why I think that we should have a tax on soda.

I think that we should use taxes to encourage and discourage certain habits in the U.S because some of these habits are causing people’s health to decline and end up with a heart attack. Obesity is the highest in the world in the U.S and we need to change that because many other countries look up to us and have us support them. We cannot be a role model country when we have this big problem going on. This is why I think that we should use taxes to encourage and discourage certain habits in the U.S.

Kristine K said...

I think that there should be a tax on soda. I think that because right now not only people need money the government does too. So having a tax could raise money for the government so that people aren't taxed as much. I think that would helpful to a lot of families who can't pay all taxes. Another reason is of course health. Like Sam K said if things like alcohol and cigarettes have taxes so should soda. Just like cigarettes and alcohol, soda is the cause of many health issues like diabetes and obesity.If there was a tax on soda not as many people might buy it, but if people are used to paying taxes on everyday things one more couldn't hurt. Really 6 cents isn't that much so there really should be a tax on soda and wouldn't break anyone's bank

This reminds me of going to Bath and Body Works with bags full of coins. I sat there counting out a dollars when I realized that i needed 6 more cents for each dollar because of the state taxes. Soon that I could be doing that in front of the vending machine right before I buy a soda, if the government decides to pass the law of putting a tax on soda.It is also exactly what we learned about in Social Studies, when the British put taxes on tea. The British would be our government saying a tax on soda is a good idea and we would be the colonists paying the tax on soda. That is my connection to this issue.

Mike N. said...

No, I do not think there should be a tax on soda. I think people should be allowed to choose what they want to drink healthy or not. Soda is not a drug like alcohol or cigarettes so you can't compare it to those. Soda is not the only reason there is an obesity problem in the U.S. and it doesn't seem fair to just tax that and not things like sweets and fast foods. What about diet soda? It doesn't have any sugar in it but it is still bad for you. Would that be taxed too? Is it making people obese? I agree with Zack that taxing soda will not make the obesity rate go down. People will still eat unhealthy and not exercise enough. Then the government will start taxing cookies and candy and even birthday cakes. It will never end. People should have the right to choose. This reminds me of the tea act when people chose to rebel because their tea was going to be taxed. It could happen again. I don't think that taxes should be used to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. People may just get angry when they reach their limit and then plan another revolution against the government. That is why I don't think there should be a tax on soda.

Kelsey J said...

I think there should be a tax on soda because it is unhealthy. Soda and other sugary drinks may give you energy at first but they where off quickly. Other healthy options like vegetables and fruits give you energy that’s good for your body. If you put a tax on soda, it will be a great way for people and the government to raise money, however, if the tax is placed on the soda and people don’t buy it because it is too expensive, the soda companies and the government will make no money.
I believe that we should place taxes on things that e discourage. If taxes are placed people are more likely not to buy them thus that problem is solved, but if you do place a tax on it and people don’t buy it the issue of company not making any money will be in play. I also think that it’s a good idea to lower or deduct taxes from people who do things that are encouraged, like buying a house and having children. This is a way to show people that you appreciate what they are doing to help the world grow.
This reminds me of the time I asked my parents if everyone keeps saying cigarettes are bad then why do they still make them. This reminds me of this because people place taxes to discourage the actions that some people make, like smoking, by raising the tax they are more likely to stop because of the expense.

Joseph F. said...

It could go either way for me but I think that the government should not decide what we should drink. I do agree that most people drink too much soda. The people who drink it know that it is bad for them and I think that they stop it themselves. But I do not think that the government should use this as an excuse to help raise money because we are already in a depression and the government is still giving money to countries that are in a depression just like we are. I don’t think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage behaviors because people should have the right to choices. We should not have the government be making choice for us. I like the way Brian said, that the government shouldn’t tax us just to fill their budget. This reminds me of the book we read in English class The Giver. It reminds me of that because in Jonas’ community they took out all their choices so everyone would be the same, have the same life, and it would be totally peaceful. That is what I think about a tax on soda.

Marin K said...

I think that we should put a tax on soda in order to discourage people from drinking it, and to raise money. Like Marion Nestle and the health advocacy group stated, with the price of soda going up, there would be less buyers. With such an obesity problem in the United States, the taxing of junk food like soda, and other sugary drinks, might be a good idea. Also, at the same time the country will be gaining around ten billion dollars a year, just from raising the tax on a very unhealthy drink. Like Sarah Cava said, the economy is in a very weak state, and our country needs the money. I believe that this tax on soda is a great idea, if people really need something to drink, they could buy a much more affordable, healthy choice, like water or milk. I do also believe that the idea of using taxes to encourage or discourage certain habits, is smart. As an example, since smoking, drinking alcohol, and eating junk food is so unhealthy, and damaging to our health, the tax raise could really help. While raising the tax on unhealthy things, maybe they could lower the tax on healthy items. There would still be more of a tax put on unhealthy items than money lost from taking off taxes on healthy things. By doing this, healthy things would be more affordable, and much easier to buy compared to unhealthy things. This switch could really help lower obesity levels in the United States, and help gain money. This reminds me of a talk I had with my mom. One day we were talking about healthy on unhealthy foods. My mom does not let me drink soda or eat junk food ever, except for special treats when I have a few friends over. I asked my mom why. She told me about how soda, and other junk food, does absolutely nothing positive for your body. Also, I have a family member who had a heart attack from eating too much junk food earlier in her life. After the surgery she told me how horrible her diet was and how she never would have had a heart attack if she ate better. Those two examples connect to the idea of tax being put on soda because it relates to the unhealthiness of junk food, and how with less of it being bought, the population would be much healthier.

Marcus F said...

I think we should raise taxes to make people stop drinking it and raise money because it is very bad for your health because you can get diabetes which can go into more serious things. Also, our government’s economy is very weak and we need help to pay off debts and help people with their healthcare plan.
I think we should tax to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. I think this because throughout America there are a lot of obese people because they are drinking too much soda. If we put taxes on it people might think it is not worth it anymore and they drink water. Also, if we tax soda our healthcare plan would be a lot better and we would be able to pay off our debt of help people that can’t afford healthcare. There are many problems with soda or with drinks that have a high level of sugar. One being diabetes also you have a lot of crashes from drinking. These side affects are not worth getting because these lead into bigger and more serious problems. I have a connection that I can make. My Aunt used to drink two cans of soda every day now she drinks water. She has lost 15 pounds and tallied up that in the past year she has saved over 6,000 dollars worth of soda.

Marisa♥ said...

I personally feel that the decision should be made on a state-by-state basis. If a state such as California is in desprate need of money, then taxing soda could be a way to raise the money. Cigarettes and Alcohol are already heavily taxed in most states, and soda could also be. Americans don't need these products as a necessity in life; these products have no health benefits and taxing these products is a way to discourage their uses. It is better for the American people to be taxed on unnecessary things than to raise taxes or increase sales tax. On the other hand, states should be careful if they decide to impose this tax on soda. It could have a snowball effect. If the public decides to boycott soda, the soda company will lose money, workers could lose thier jobs, and the towns in which the soda company is located would lose money.

Margot W said...

I think that there should be a tax on soda. This is because it might slow down the buying of soda. This is important because if you drink every, it will some day it will come back to you. Soda is a thing that you should get once or twice a week, and only on the weekends, it is a treat. I also agree with Joseph, he said that people drink too much soda. Some people that I know drink way to much soda over the week. I can only drink soda on the weekends and most of the time we don’t have any soda. But also I don’t like soda that much, so it wouldn’t be that much of a loss to me. If the government was to make all of our decisions reminds of the book we read in English English, The Giver. In the book Jonas’s community they have their choices made for them, so they have nothing to worry about. I don’t think that I would like that very much. I like to pick what I want, and do what I want. I wouldn’t like other people to make them for me. That is what I think about soda and taxing.

Daniel G said...

No I think there should not be a tax on soda since it would coast more. So if it the price is more people would not buy it since to over priced .but if I was selling it I would like it since I would make more money’s. I think it should encourage people. So in concluglion you should not put a tax on soda.

Sandra G said...

I agree with many of my classmates when they say we should put a tax on soda. I think that if they put tax on soda, they should also put tax on other unhealthy foods and beverages. I think that if we put taxes on unhealthy products, people would not buy them as frequently. This is a good thing because if people don’t buy unhealthy foods, as frequently as they do, there would be a lower possibility that people would be obese or have other health problems such as diabetes. Like Elise said “Just taxing drinks wouldn’t lower obesity rates much.” If the government wants to help people not have health problems, they should put taxes on other unhealthy foods and not just soda. But if the government does put tax on soda, it could lead to many unhappy Americans and rebellion. This could lead to something like the tea act because this would but taxes on things people buy everyday. I still think they should tax soda but the government should get prepared for a lot of rebellion like the tea act. It would be good to put tax on soda because, even though the economy is bad, people wouldn’t have to buy soda and save money. If they put tax on soda, people wouldn’t buy soda because of money issues, and this could lead to people starting a new and healthy lifestyle.

Molly M. said...

I think that there should be a tax on sugared drinks to discourage people from drinking it and to raise money. People could stop drinking it because the price would be higher, and most people aren't billionaires so it would be harder to afford with all the other grocery's. This will also help the obesity in our country. A connection I have to this is, my Uncle used to smoke. Now a days cigarettes are way more expensive then they used to be. (Just like soda would be if there was a tax on them.) Not only is smoking bad for you but after a while buying a pack for a year or any amount of time adds up to be a lot. So that is why he quit. This is just like soda. It is also what could happen to all the people who drink soda alot. That is my connection. It said in the article that, "Every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else." So now is the chance to help stop obesity. Some people will still defiantly buy the soda, but that's not bad, since there are taxes on it. These taxes can raise money. Obliviously no one wants to pay more money then they have to, but when it's for a good cause people prefer it.

I think that there should be taxes that encourage or discourage certain behaviors. As Alisa said, " The economy is so bad, not only would it influence the behavior of the people in the way intended, but also raise a lot of money." That is what I think of whether or not there should be a tax on soda.

Courtney D said...

I agree with Elise and Rachel that if soda gets taxed other unhealthy foods should be taxed as well. Even though everyone knows that soda is bad for you they still buy it so even if there was a tax people would still buy it. Obesity in the US is high and if the government is going to think this will help it probably won’t at all change the amount of soda that is bought. It also would be helpful to the state government so that the extra money could go towards something useful. The government like Margot say is making the decisions just like they did in The Giver except for the fact that the book did not even have a government.

GRIFFIN Y said...

I believe that there should be a tax on soda and other sugary beverages. This is because it will raise state revenue. For example, California could make 10 billion dollars a year on sugary drinks if they put a 7% tax on them. Also, this might lower the obesity and diabetes. This is because people will not be astempted to but soda as usually as they do because of new tax. This leads to people, most importantly kids, to have a lower risk at aquiring diabetes, obesity, and heart problems. President Obama even knows kids are drinking too much soda, so why not try and lower the risk. So i believe that we should put a tax on soda and other sugary drinks

Olivia O. said...

I think that we should have a tax on soda in order to discourage people from drinking it and to raise money. I think this because in the article it says, " The Center for Science in the Public Interest believes that many states might be able to close gaps in their budgets by placing a tax on soda and other sugary drinks." If we place a tax on soda, we will help a lot of states pay their budgets. For example the article states, " California could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverage." Soda is already a very inexpensive beverage, so adding to the price of it will not affect most people's decision to buy it. I agree with Elise that if soda is going to be taxed, then there should be taxes on other things such as candy, fast food, and other unhealthy foods. Even though I agree with Elise, I think that taxing soda is at least a start and better than taxing nothing at all. I think that paying taxes for soda will make people start making healthier choices in their diet. As of now, the article states, "There is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else." This means that even though soda is not the only factor behind obesity rates, it is one of them and contributes greatly to the obesity rates. I think that this is a win-win situation. By taxing soda, less people will want to spend their hard earned money on something they know is so unhealthy. Since soda promotes expensive weakening diseases, the healthcare costs go up the more soda people drink. If we get the soda rates to go down, the healthcare costs at all levels of government go down and it helps to spend use less money. This reminds me of the Pigovian Tax. The Pigovian tax is a special tax that is often levied on companies that pollute the environment or create excess costs. In a true market economy, a Pigovian tax is the most efficient way to correct these problems. The proposed tax on soda reminds me of the Pigovian tax because it is limiting a harmful food or substance so people stop buying it. A type of a Pigovian tax is a "sin tax", which is a special tax on tobacco products and alcohol. A tax is placed on tobacco products because they are harmful and so people buy less of them. I think that a tax should be placed on soda for the same reason.
I think that we should use taxes to discourage or encourage certain behaviors just as the tax on soda would discourage the behavior of eating/drinking unhealthy foods. For example, if we tax all unhealthy foods and do not tax healthy foods, which one do you think more people are going to buy/use? I think that the government should not be able to say exactly what people can eat and can't eat, but should be able to influence their decision. This is beneficial not only to those people, but to their government as well. In conclusion, I think there should be a tax on soda to help influence people to make the right decision, raise money for the states, and to stop people from drinking it.

Kate M. said...

I agree with Olivia that sodas should be taxed. This has many positive benefits for governments and citizens- the article demonstrates how this would manage to raise billions of dollars for a government just by adding 7 cents on to a can of soda. Also, this would discourage people from buying the unhealthy drinks, and probably make them choose healthier options that are availible- this in turn could help with obesity and diabetes, which is always a big issue in our country. These are all ways that would be beneficial in our country.
This is just one way that taxes can be used to discourage specific behaviors. People complain about taxes all the time, but it's really their own fault if they are being taxed. They could choose to donate to charities or not buy alcohol or tons of other things but they don't. Although people see it as unfair; it really isn't. They are choosing to spend the extra money. Using the taxes to encourage or discourage behavior is actually a very smart idea because the government is not being unconstitutional and telling people they can't act a certain way or buy a certain product but they make it so the people are tempted to NOT do so. This reminds me of the book we have read in English, The Giver, where the governement and officials didn't tell people specifically how to act, but they encouraged certain behaviors with praise and congratulations, while other actions were discouraged with chastise and disappointment, so the people all wanted to act a specific way.

Olivia S said...

I think there should be a tax on soda. That’s is because it would raise an additional 10 billion dollars a year if there is not a drastic decrease in soda sales. And if the soda sales did go down by there being a tax on it and people not wanting to pay for the additional cost, then there would be a health benefit. So placing a tax on soda, or any unhealthy food, would only make things better. People probably wouldn’t go out and buy more soda if there was a tax if anything they will just buy the amount they normally did and raise 10 billion dollars. And if not then the obesity rate will go down and make the United States a healthier place. And I know other people are saying this is like the Tea Act where tea was taxed causing people to rebel. But tea isn’t full of chemicals and sugar and a large consumption of tea with nothing added to it won’t cause health risks like diabetes, heart failure, and obesity. With the number of obese people growing every day it may be a good thing for a little control from the government, like taxing, to be placed on things that cause it. This would be different if things like vegetable and fruit where being taxed, because these things are necessary to live, but no one needs soda to live and nothing bad will happen if you have to pay a mere 7 cents more for some.

Robert M said...

I agree with Marin, that there should be a tax on soda so that people might drink it less. Like Marion Nestle and the health advocacy group stated, with the price of soda going up, there would be less buyers. With such an obesity problem in the United States, the taxing of junk food like soda, and other sugary drinks, might be a good idea. Also, at the same time the country will be gaining around ten billion dollars a year, just from raising the tax on a very unhealthy drink. like Sarah said the economy is in a very weak state, and our country needs the money. I think that we should use taxes to encourage and discourage certain habits in the U.S because some of these habits are causing people’s health to decline and end up with a heart attack. Like Alisa said a good example that relates to this situation is that if I get a really good report card, she will get me a nice surprise gift. This encourages to try my very best to succeed in school, and aim for all A’s. This is a lot like how taxes on soda would discourage buying soda, since it’s very unhealthy. This is why i think soda should be taxed

Chelsea O said...

I think there should be a tax on soda. I think this because soda is very unhealthy for you. It can lead to many problems like obesity, diabetes and many others. So, people may not buy as much of it if it is taxed. Also, it would raise money for our states. And yes, I do think that we should use taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. I think that because taxes can make people buy less of it, because they don't want to pay extra. If it's something that shouldn't be sold in large quantities, I think people should have to pay more for it to discourage buying the substance. I think this relates to me because mostly every kid that I know loves to drink soda. I know in my family, my brothers would drink soda all the time if they could. Which, again, can lead to problems later in life. So I do think that soda should be taxed.

Jenna said...

I believe that there should be a tax on soda. I believe this because if they put a tax on it then less people will buy soda. If less people buy soda than they are getting healthier every time they decide not to drink it. Also if you think about it even if less people do buy soda than they will have no choice that to lower the tax or just take it away. this reminds me of the time when my mom and a bunch of other people decided to not get gas one day and they lowered the price of the gas. So to answer the question I do think that they should lower the price. I also think that it would also not take that long just to have it lowered again.

Skylar S. said...

I think that there shouldn’t be a tax on soda because the government already taxes us (the people) so much on so many different things. Even though this might fill the budget gap, there wouldn’t be that much of a change in the health of the country. I say that because there wouldn’t be that many people that stop drinking soda altogether. For example: my stepfather (who shall remain unnamed) loves to drink Pepsi. If the tax were enabled he would still buy and drink the same amount of soda that he does now. Even though this would raise a lot of money from the people that do the same thing, there won’t be any health changes. The only change that will come is the fact that there will be more spending instead of earning for these people. So if the government wants to make the American people have even less money to pay for all of the other taxes, then they should go ahead and pass this tax, but if they were smart, then they would never even consider the idea. Also, the government doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t, have the right to control the behavior and choices of the people through taxes. This would be a perfect way of doing that! I agree with some people that there MIGHT be some people who would stop drinking it and would therefore be more healthy, but that isn’t worth it to put even more strain, on even more people, on the wallets of the already struggling hard workers that are trying to feed their families and keep the nation going. If the government wants to be in even more trouble with the laborers than they already are, then so be it, but they really shouldn’t want to be.

Logan R said...

I think that there should be a tax on soda and other sugary drinks. I also agree with Elise though in that “if there is a tax on soda, there should be taxes on other things like candy, fast food, and other unhealthy choices.” If the government is going to tax soda they should just tax all unhealthy foods. There should be a tax on these things because our nation, in general, needs to eat healthier. We are getting to be known as the “fat nation”. Another reason there should be a tax on soda and other unhealthy foods is it could raise a lot of money. Like the article said “California -- could generate a combined $10 billion a year by levying a tax of 7 cents per 12-ounce can of Coke or other beverages.” This reminds me of the Tea Act a little bit. This reminds me of the Tea Act because it was a tax on a beverage to get money. But, Tea isn’t bad for you and the only thing the British government was getting out of the tax was money, it wasn’t making a nation healthier. That is why I think that there should be a tax on soda and other unhealthy drinks.

No, I do not think that there should be taxes to encourage or discourage certain behaviors. We should let people act the way they want! If they want to act in a way that is threatening then they will be punished anyway. That it why I do not think there should be taxes that encourages or discourages certain behaviors.

Emma said...

I don’t think that there should be a tax on soda. It is your chose to drink soda if you would like too. Soda I think is less death threading then cigarettes and alcohol. If the government was to put a higher tax on soda then people would stop buying soda, then the economy might worsen because the government will not make any tax off a major product that almost every American buys a week. In general I think it is a bad idea to encourage or discourage people to buy thing buy raising and lowering the tax on items. I think it is a bad idea because I would think this may just anger some Americans and it might cause a lot of converses between government and its people.