Monday, November 1, 2010

Should a Child Ever have the Right to Divorce a Parent?

First, please closely examine the new rubric for our blog, especially the last bullet in each category regarding making connections.

Not Even Close (no credit)
o Is not even four full sentences
o Does not coherently answer the question or address the blog topic
o Almost totally lacking in either fact or opinion
o Looks like an AIM message, not formal school writing, errors in grammar, punctuation, usage, and spelling
o Does not make a connection

Solid Blog Contribution
(7/10 points)
o Is at least four full sentences
o Addresses the blog topic thoughtfully and coherently (the comment makes sense and can be followed)
o Some fact and some opinion but lacking a bit in one or the other
o Is written formally, with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage, with only one or two errors
o Attempts to make a connection by identifying a person, place, or situation that could inform the blog topic, but does not explain the relationship

Very Strong Blog Contribution
(10/10 points)
o Is at least eight sentences long
o Addresses the blog topic very thoughtfully and coherently
o Uses an appropriate amount and balance of facts and opinion (evidence and insight)
o Is written formally with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage, with no errors
o Makes a connection by identifying a person, place, or situation that could inform the blog topic and explains the relationship; may compare or contrast the two

Then, with the rubric in mind, answer the following question: should a child ever have the right to divorce a parent? In other words, should a child ever be able to choose to legally separate from one or both of his or her parents?

64 comments:

Clay F. said...

I think a child should never have the right to divorce a parent. I say this because; parents are there to guide and make sure that their child is on the right path, to make them the best they can be. They are there to motivate you, and ensure that you will be set for the tasks you will face when you are older. Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others. Yet, if a child was able to divorce their parent, it would almost ensure that their safety is going to be tested. If the child gets in a fight with their parent, provoked by their rage, they could file for a divorce. Even though they could be mad at that moment, and it seemed to be right, in the future, they’ll know they chose the wrong option. Also, if a child really does need to be separated from their parents, they could just tell a person in higher command, or just an adult in general to get help, and the child services could take the child away from the parent(s). An example of this, to contrast my point that it might be rage driven, is one of my own. I remember multiple times when I was so mad with my parents, because they wouldn’t let me do a certain thing, or get a certain thing. I felt so mad, that I thought only my parents wouldn’t let me do this, and if I had other parents, they would let me. I bet, if possible, I would, at the least, consider divorcing from my parents, to avoid future problems. Yet, now that I look back, they usually had a good reason for not letting me do or get the certain thing, and I am positively certain I wouldn’t ever trade out these parents for others. That is what I think about the topic.

Molly M. said...

I do not think a child has a right to divorce their parents. I think this because, some children don't know what their doing. They are not fully educated. If they actually go through with it all, they may make a gigantic mistake. I mean after all their brains are not fully educated. Some children might go to far with this though. I agree with Clay when he said that parents are there to guide their kids. When they are not there the kids might go off course in life. Another thing that needs to be thought about is, it is unfair to the parents. As you get older you get the privilege to be more in charge and more responsibility. So if children get this option in life it is another thing that parents can't stop. Would you want your child to be in charge of your life? That is my opinion on whether or not kids have the right to divorce their parents.

Sarah C. said...

I think that, in special circumstances, a child should be able to divorce their parents. I do not think a child can divorce their parents for no reason at all, though. If a child wants to get a divorce, then they should go to court, and the jury can decide if their reasoning is valid. An un-valid reason would be getting a divorce if your parents grounded you. A valid reason would be if your parents verbally, sexually or physically abused you. If a parent is not doing their best to take care of you or protect you, then you have a valid reason for divorce. If a parent isn’t “being fair” to protect you, then that isn’t a reason to separate forever. Children should only be able to get a divorce if their relationship with their parents puts them in harm’s way.

Liam K said...

I think that every child should have the right to divorce a parent. I think this because if the child's parents are being unfair or physically abusing the child, then the child will be miserable. Yes I do agree with Clayton when he says that a child's parents are there to guide and motivate them, but if they aren't doing their job, the child obviously need another guardian. If children really feel that they need to be raised by someone else, then they need to go to court and tell them why with good reasons. However, many children run away from home when they feel that their parents are being unfair to them or were hurt by them. When that happens, children do not realize what they were doing until they have done it. No child can make a living by themselves. I see both sides of the issue clearly, but I think that divorcing a parent is a right children should have. That is what I think about this topic.

Brendan D. said...

I think that a child should be able to divorce his or her parents in only some circumstances. I think this because if parents are drug addicts and/or alcoholics, that can be dangerous for any child at any age. Also it’ll be bad influence to the child. If a mother and/or father are drunk then you never know what could happen. It is a fact that when you’re drunk you normally can’t control yourself and could lead to the child getting hurt and also the person drunk. If they don’t let a child divorce their parents then it could cause to more deaths and more injuries. I also agree with Molly though. Molly said “A child shouldn’t be able to divorce his or her parents because some children don't know what they’re doing. They are not fully educated. If they actually go through with it all, they may make a gigantic mistake.” That is true but in some circumstances they should be allowed due to horrible choices make by the parents. Yes it’s bad for the child to be not responsible and taken care of by their parents and might go off course but if the guidance teacher in school (if the child is still in school) will allow you to live with him or her then they could help you succeed in life and stay on course. That is my opinion on whether or not kids have the right to divorce their parents.

KristineK said...

I think that children should have the right to leave their parents if they want. I think that because if a child had abusive parents that hit them every day or if a child’s parents are drug/alcohol addicts, they would want to leave. Just like what Sarah Cava said, “Only under certain circumstances should a child divorce their parents.” I can relate to that because in the book that I recently read the girl’s father was an alcohol addict, the girl was sometimes scared when her father to come home. When he was drunk he got mad easily and he wouldn’t be able to even go to work in the morning. Also one time he hit the little girl’s brother with his beer bottle. The little boy bled and had to get stitches. That is one reason that kids should be able to divorce their parents. But I think that if kids want to divorce their parents they have to have a good reason, like my parents are abusive or addicted. Once their “reason” is approved they have to decide to live with someone responsible and give a reason why that person is responsible. For example if I were to divorce my parents I would want to live with the Strattons, because they know me really well and know basically about everything that happens in my life first. Those are the reasons that I think kids should be able to divorce their parents.

Rachel C said...

No, I do not think that a child should ever have the right to divorce a parent. I say this because parents are there in our lives to steer in the right direction and to bring us into the real world with a helping hand or two. Parents only hope for the best for their children and they will make sure of this step by step through our lives. I agree with Clayton F. when he said, “They are there to motivate you, and ensure that you will be set for the tasks you will face when you are older. Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others.” Think back to when you have had to make some crucial decisions in your life, who always there to help you? - Your parents. Kids often get too angry or caught up in their tempers to evaluate the whole situation at hand. If every time you got angry with your parents you might consider a divorce from them when later in life you will truly regret it. This reminds me of times when I wanted a pet of my own, but my parents wouldn’t allow it. I now realize why they wouldn’t let me; because at that age I wasn’t responsible enough to take care of an animal. Even if a household situation was really bad, the child/children could tell a trusted adult, like their teacher or school counselor. This is why I think that children should not be able to divorce from their parents.

Kelsey J said...

I do think a child should have the right to divorce from their parents. But they can ONLY file a divorce if the parent is abusive and doesn’t take care of them. For example if I had parent who drank and never bothered what I did or if I was fed and safe, I would want to file a divorce. If I was only mad at them because I hit my sister and was grounded for it, I couldn’t file a divorce. If I was a parent and my friend was abusive to their child, I would definitely want the child to be able to divorce from their parents because no one should have to be treated poorly. I understand what Molly was saying when she said they might not be fully educated but what if the parent hit them every day? I think that after a certain time of being abused, even though they are kids, they will understand this is wrong. And eventually they will be fully educated so they will know if they are making a mistake. I also believe that they must have a court case if they file a divorce. I think someone like a judge should look at the situation. If they conclude that the parent is seriously injuring their child they can file a divorce, but if the only reason why the child wants a divorce is because they were grounded then they shouldn’t be allowed to file one. This is why I think children should be able to file a divorce.

Maisie. said...

I think a child should, in special circumstances, be allowed to divorce a parent. Like Clay said, a parent is there to guide, support, and love their children. But what if the parent isn’t adequately providing these necessities? Then a child should have the right. They should prevent clear reasons with evidence to a court. There should also be an age limit to this- of course, a three year old shouldn’t be able to divorce their parents. But if a parent abuses a child, should they have to subject to the misery? I don’t think so. Children should be heard. If a child might be happier in a more stable household, then they should be placed there. Or, there could be a compromise- maybe the parents and children could have a separation trial before going all the way through with the divorce. That way, the parents and children both could see what it would be like and think over their decisions. That’s why I think children should have the right to divorce their parents.

RayC said...

I think that a child should not have the right to divorce their parents. I think this because children have to listen to their parents until they are 18 years old. This is because when children aren’t fully educated, they are more likely to make the wrong choices. So if a child divorces their parent, it is likely that they would have made a bad choice. If you think about it, if children were divorcing their parents, where would they go and what would they do with their life? They will have no money and they will probably never be successful. I agree with Clayton that your parents are there to guide you and set you on the right path. If children don’t have their parents, then they might not make the right choices and they might not be educated well and not have a good job. I also think that it would be unfair to the parents to just lose their children because their children didn’t want to be with them. That is what I think about children having the right to divorce their parents.

Ben L said...

Children should not have the right to divorce their parents. Children are not able to make informed decisions compared to adults. Children are still learning right from wrong. Just like they don’t have duties and responsibilities of an adult citizen, they do not have their rights either. Society has put age limits on various activities driving, voting, and drinking alcohol. These ages are based on when society thinks the child is able to handle the responsibilities like an adult. In Judaism, when a child turns 13, he or she is considered an adult, with respect to the religious duties. I agree with Sarah and Brendan in that there may be special circumstances, in which the family should be separated because of abuse or neglect, but this should be decided by a parent not a child.

Robert M. said...

No, I do not think that a child should ever have the right to divorce a parent. I say this because parents are there in our lives to steer in the right direction and to bring us into the real world with a helping hand or two. Parents only hope for the best for their children and they will make sure of this step by step through our lives. I agree with Clayton F. when he said, “They are there to motivate you, and ensure that you will be set for the tasks you will face when you are older. Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others.”An example of this, to contrast my point that it might be rage driven, is one of my own. I remember multiple times when I was so mad with my parents, because they wouldn’t let me do a certain thing, or get a certain thing. I felt so mad, that I thought only my parents wouldn’t let me do this, and if I had other parents, they would let me. I bet, if possible, I would, at the least, consider divorcing from my parents, to avoid future problems. Yet, now that I look back, they usually had a good reason for not letting me do or get the certain thing, and I am positively certain I wouldn’t ever trade out these parents for others. What if your parents had the control of who your girlfriend was? well this is kinda of the same thing, you personally don't have a say in anything. So this is why i don't think that us as only children and young adults should be able to divorce.

Griffin Y said...

I think a child should never have the right to divorce his parent. Unless the parent is abusive or doesn't help with the child's life. I think this because, even though the parents brought that child into the world, the parent doesn't have the right to purposely injure the child. Ways that the parent(s)could hurt the childs life is if th parent doesn't help with the child's life meaning, they don't provide anything for the kid and they don't put in any effort to help the child with problems. But unless this happens, the child shouldn't have the right to emancipate from both or one parent(s). I think this because the parent put in the effort to provide for the child and they put in effort to decide to bring the baby into this world. I agree with Clay F. because the parents are their for a good reason, to help with the child's life and to act like role models. I understand if some parents aren't but, you are here because of them. So I think kids shouldn't have the right to divorce from their parents unless the parent(s) are abusive and don't help with the child's life.

Emma V. said...

I think that children should not be able to divorce their parents. I feel that way because most parents are trying to do the right thing. Parents want their children to try hard, do their best, and be happy. They’re also there when you need a shoulder to cry on or when you feel like you need to talk to some one. If a child was allowed to divorce a parent then they could just decide to leave after getting upset over little things, like having to eat vegetables. I can connect to this topic because when I was younger, I would always get upset by the littlest things that my parents said or did. Sometimes I felt like the best thing to do was to get different parents. If I was able to divorce parents, life would be a lot harder on me because I would have no where to go. Not only would it be harder for me, but it would also be worse for other kids that left their parents. Orphanages would have to many children to hold and that would leave others out on the streets. Letting children divorce their parents isn’t the smartest idea.

Jade said...

I agree with Sarah and Maisie when I say that a child should be able to divorce their parents in special circumstances. I just think that children especially teenagers let their rage and hormones control their actions. Due to those reasons I feel that if we were allowed to divorce our parents we would make irrational decisions based on anger. In the beginning I said that maybe with rare circumstances this would be okay. My reasoning for saying this is that I originally thought of the book My Sisters Keeper. The reason why I thought of this comparison is probably that there was this girl in the book who had leukemia, and when her parents found out they decided to have another child, Anna, and this child would give their daughter Kate whatever transplants she needed to kill the leukemia. When Anna decides to sue her parents for medical emancipation (the rights to her own body) they yell at her and tell her that this could kill her sister and make them homeless if she continues with this law suit. In the end she gains freedom to her body. I think this would be a perfect excuse to divorce your parents if they were treating you like a human dummy just so your sister would feel better or help her to get better. Other than that I don’t think that children should be allowed to divorce their parents. If the child is being abused than like Clayton said let social services handle it. These are my views on this matter.

patrick buell said...

I do not think a kid should be able to divorce there parent. i agree with griffen when he said that unless the parent is abusive. a parent should never be abusive because if they are the people who had the kid they had the choice to do it they dident have to,if you have one you should be responsable and be a good parent. the reason why a child should not be able to choose a divorce with there parent is because they are young and do not know what they are doing most of the time.

AlisaG said...

No, I don’t think a child should ever have a right to divorce a parent. I agree with Clayton, that the child will regret this in the long run, as they are just feeling mad and caught up in the moment. A child is still young and although they may feel like their parents are so unfair and only want to make you mad, they are only doing it for the well-being of the child. A parent is supposed to lead you towards making the right choices and protect you. If they are divorced from their parent, it’s like they’re all alone and that is scary for a kid to have to go through. In many situations, kids have changed bad habits, because of their parents’ motivation. In the long run, the child will be happy they have their parents to guide them when they’re stuck. Also, children tend to act on will, and not think about how that action will affect their future. If they divorced their parents, they won’t realize that their parents are what keeps them safe and on the right path. This reminds me of a time when my mom wouldn’t let me be with my friends, because no adult would be there. I got really mad and thought it was really unfair because everyone else was allowed, but then I realized she was only doing this to protect me. This is what I think about this matter.

Joseph F. said...

I think that a child should be able to divorce a parent only under certain circumstance. I say this because if he/she is getting mistreated, abused, if that parents are alcoholics, or drug addicts they should be able to leave if they are over the age of 14 were they can handle themselves. But if they just don’t like their parents or some other reason like that they shouldn’t be able to divorce their parent. Or they can just go to an adoption home and wait to get different parents. I agree with what Maisie was saying when she said if a child might be happier in a more stable household, than they should be placed there. I agree with this because if their parents are not treating the right they should be able to file divorce. But we can kind of already do this because you can go to court and be separated from a parent or both. I defiantly think that a child should be able to get a divorce from their parent or parents.

Luke W said...

I think that a child does have the right to divorce a parent, but only under extreme circumstances. Say the parent gives them a punishment and the child thinks that it is unfair so they divorce their parent is not a good reason. But say the parent is beating them or is abusing them, which would be a very good reason to divorce a parent. I have no real connections to children divorcing their parents. But I have seen many TV shows or movies that the kids get beat, or abused. In these shows the kids get abused with words and also physically. These are reasons that a child should be able to divorce their parents. In conclusion I think that a kid can divorce their parent. Also I think that it has to be a good reason to divorce a parent.

Laura Vallerie said...

I believe that a child should have the right to divorce one or both parents, for legitimate reasons, as Sarah and Jade had said. A child should only be allowed to divorce their parents if they physically or sexually abuse their child or fail to take care of them. If a child’s reason to divorce a parent is because they were grounded that would not be a good reason at all, because children sometimes need to be disciplined or they will never learn. But if a child was beaten because they did something wrong that would be a suitable reason. I also agree with Jade that is reminds me of “My Sisters Keeper” because when the girl was diagnosed with leukemia the parents had another daughter, Anna, so that she can give her sister the transplant she needs,(in my own opinion that is completely unfair!) Anna sued her parents and at the end she gained her bodies freedom. But if Anna decided to divorce her parents I would consider that a legitimate reason because her parents weren’t technically abusing her, rather than using her for an unconstitutional and sick reason. If a child was to file a divorce from their parent/parents I would only agree on a “circumstantial” reason like the ones I listed or other valid reasons.

Maddy M said...

I think a child should have the right to divorce a parent. Although, I believe that a child should only divorce a parent went any type of abuse is going on. I agree with Clayton that a parent is supposed to guide and make sure their children have the most out of life they can, but if a parent is making a child physically and mentally unstable then that child does need to get out of that relationship with his or her parent. Most parents have only good intentions for their children but some others don't, and that could end up being a problem. Kids could try to divorce their parents for stupid reasons but others might for real reasons. As long as a judge can oversee the divorce and decide if it's a good enough reason to separate child from their parent. I think children are intelligent, should be allowed to make decisions affecting their own lives. Honestly, most parents most parents do a good job, and raise their children until they 18 and on their own. The parents who prevent their child's chances at a good life should lose their child, and the Court should give that child a safer and better guardian. A good example of how family divorce could be a good thing for some kids is if they are in foster care for abuse, they would never have to worry about being put back intpp the hands of their abusers. THis is a serious topic, and I can understand both points of view but if a parent is being abusive to a child, they should lose that child and all connection to it.

Margot W said...

I agree with Clayton, I didn’t think that a child shouldn’t be able to leave his or her parents, or parent. I think this because as Clayton said a parent is there to guide you and to help you make the right decisions. They also keep them on the right path, and they keep them going on the right path. But then again, if the relationship between the parent or parents gets pretty bad, then well yes then they should be able to get a divorce from them. But that should only be able to get a divorce if the conditions get terrible. But under it all, a child should not be able to leave a parent. Running way is a totally different story. If a child runs away, it still is leaving but a different type. Divorce is when you legally leave someone; running away is when you leave on your own.

Noah G said...

I don’t think that kids should be allowed to divorce a parent. If a child does something punishable, and they get disciplined, that could be a divorce simply because they were angry. Then you might have a whole culture of kids all over divorcing because they were mad. People usually don’t stay angry for long, but if a kid divorced, when they calmed down, there would be no turning back. I don’t even think that most children could handle the responsibility of separation. If the parent(s) were unstable, then maybe a child could be happier in a safer household. However, You can just report child abuse and there are departments that look out for potentially unsafe households, and put them into new ones, so the right of a child to divorce a parent isn’t really necessary. I remember a time when I got really mad at my mom for what I thought was an unfair punishment, and if I had the right, I think it might have been an option. But I calmed down and realized it was for my own good. If I had divorced, I could have realized it too late.

Kaitlyn Smith said...

The question asked was should a child ever be able to choose to legally separate from one or both of his or her parents? I can understand two sides of an answer to this question. One saying no because as a child you need a parent in your life to have as a role model and for someone to care for you. But then again I can see the other side, yes because some parents can be very abusive. Leading to extreme measure and children not loving their parents. Both sides are reasonable and I agree with both. So my answer is it depends on the situation. If the parents are loving and make minor mistakes but non of the mistakes leading to abuse then no you should not be able to legally remove your parent from your life. The only reason why a child should be able to is if the parent just left them, didn’t care for them, and is abusive in anyway. Which is kind of what Joseph said. Also I have a couple connections to why it could be allowed. But one is, one time I saw this little 7 year old girl with her father walking into the grocery store. As my mom and I were talking to one another, I hear yelling. So I turn around and see the fathers hand slapping the little girl in the face while holding a tight grip on the daughters arm. She was crying and yelling. It was devastating But then people came in and grabbed the daughter and yelled at the father. That connects to what I am talking about because I feel that the girl would have a right to legally separate from her abusive father.

Brian D. said...

I think that a child should never have the right to divorce their parents. I think this because if the child divorces their parents, where could they go to live? They would be homeless kids that could easily be influenced by older kids to do drugs or drink, which would be bad for a young child. If the parents gave the child a punishment for doing something wrong (that the kid thought was unfair), they could divorce their parents for an unwise reason. Again, where could they go? I can make a connection to this blog post because in a book I read (The Book Thief), the main character was abused by her mother, and she couldn’t go anywhere. She had nowhere to go, either. Another reason would be school, like Clayton said. If the child had no parents, they wouldn’t have any motivation to do well in school. Then, their grades would be bad, and they would grow up a homeless, uneducated person. This is why a child should never have the right to divorce their parents, for any reason.

Sarah C. said...

I think that, in special circumstances, a child should be able to divorce their parents. I do not think a child can divorce their parents for no reason at all, though. If a child wants to get a divorce, then they should go to court, and the jury can decide if their reasoning is valid. An un-valid reason would be getting a divorce if your parents grounded you. A valid reason would be if your parents verbally, sexually or physically abused you. If a parent is not doing their best to take care of you or protect you, then you have a valid reason for divorce. If a parent isn’t “being fair” to protect you, then that isn’t a reason to separate forever. Children should only be able to get a divorce if their relationship with their parents puts them in harm’s way. I connect a child’s divorce from their parents to an adult divorcing their spouse. When I researched “children get divorces from parents” and similar key words, all I could find was articles about adults getting divorces. It made me realize that in today’s world, divorces are a regular thing. It isn’t very shocking for two married adults to get a divorce for no reason, other than that they don’t like each other. I feel that it is un-just to let adults get divorces for no reason, and not let children get a divorce from their parents if they are abusive.

Mike N. said...

I do not think a child should have the right to divorce his or her parents. It costs a lot of money to get a divorce and they wouldn't be able to pay for it. Also, I think it would give kids too much power. We all have rights like we learned but they have to be limited. I agree with Brian when he said that kids might be homeless and start using drugs and drinking if they divorced their parents. I think it would be unfair if a kid tried to divorce his parents because he didn't agree with them. The parents would feel very sad that the child they brought into this world wants to divorce them. You could only divorce your parents if they didn't want you and gave you up for adoption.

Alden C said...

I think that children should be able to legally seperate from their parents. Like Kristine said, if the child is being abused or neglected, why should they have to stay there, and continue living in fear? Yes, the parents are there to look after them and care for them like Clayton said, but what if they don't? No child should have to spend their life being abused and scared.This can also affect their social and educational life. My mom teaches in Waterbury and many of the kids talk about how they don't like it at home, and how sometimes they get scared when their parents are home. These kids act out and get in trouble in school, so now they're distracting kids in their class and they're getting themselves in trouble. If your home life is affecting your school and social life in a negative way, and its because of your parents, I don't think you should have to stay in that environment. I think kids should be able to legally seperate from their parents.

Niko F said...

I think that kids should not have the right to divorce parents. I think this because of many reasons. One reason is because kids are really to young to know what they are talking about. Also I agree with clay too when he says that parents are our guide in life growing up. It’s true because when their together they won’t be juggling everything and have more time to play and teach their children. And I think it’s the parents job that should to decide whether they want to get divorced because I think since their mature they know what’s best. Also it’s between the 2 of them and if they don’t think they can or cannot work it out it’s their decision. Finally, It’s not healthy for a growing kid to have a divorced family because it is teaching wrong things about life. That is what I think is kids should have the right to divorce their parents.

Andrew L said...

I think that children should have the right to leave their parents if they want. I think that because if a child had abusive parents that hit them every day or if a child’s parents are drug/alcohol addicts, they would want to leave. I agree with Clayton when he says "parents are there to guide and make sure that their child is on the right path, to make them the best they can be." But if a parent is bad to you then there's no one to motivate you or support you. And you would be on your own. Also if the kid want's to leave his or her house because of violence or other things then they should have the right. I say this because in the amendments it says that every person is giving equal rights when they are born. If a child might be happier in a more stable household, then they should be placed there. I agree with Sarah Cava when she says “Only under certain circumstances should a child divorce their parents.” In this movie a little girl named Stacey lived in the city with her mom and her alcoholic step dad, and her step dad always beat her when her mom wasn't there, and then after she couldn't take it any more she finally ran away from home. That's why kids should be able to divorce their parent's if treated badly.

Daniel G said...

The answer to this question is kids should not be divorced from their parent’s. The reason I think this is that how will they pay for food. They are too young to get a job. They will have no way to support themselves. You would have to try to find some place to live right. I agree with Molly that children are not educated enough to be on their own. Liam does make a good point about if the child is being abused. I think that in that case a family member needs to step in and help the child or call the police. I do get mad my parents sometimes because they will not let me do something as that I want. But looking back I know that they are just doing what they think is right for me. This is what I think about a child divorcing their parents.

Ana M♡ said...

I think a child should be able to divorce their parents, but they have to have good enough reasons on why they should get divorced. like if the parents fight a lot they should be able to get them divorced. Or if the parents take their anger out on the child that's in the household. kids should also be able to divorce their parents if the parentals are alcoholics or drug addicts.

Andrew G said...

No, I don’t think that any child should have the right to be able to separate his/her parents. I agree with Patrick and Griffin they said that they should be able to divorce them unless they abusive to them. Also no parent should ever be abusive to their child. Every parent should be able to be a good parent to their child; they are supposed to lead and tech their child good things in life. Also another thing that I agree with Patrick is that if a child was to be young and didn’t know what he or she was doing could get in a lot of trouble. One thing that I could relate to this is when one time I was going to make a decision when I was little both my parents were there to help me out because I might of not of known what to do. And so if one of them wasn’t there to be able to say what they wanted to say, one of them could have accidentally said something wrong without knowing. So if there was to be both of them the other one could correct the other. So this is my opinion about whether or not kids should be able to divorce their parents.

James Kish said...

No I don’t think it would right for kids should be able to “divorce” their parents. I agree with Clayton, that the child will regret it in the long run. The only real reason that they would “divorce” their parents would be when they would be mad at them and they were blinded by rage to make that choice. The thing is parents are there to help you pick the right choices and make sure that you are safe and healthy. This reminds me of the time when I was young I walked on a frozen pond, but when my parents saw my they got very anger and grounded me. At first I was very mad them , but now I realize that they were just looking after my safety.

KatieK said...

I believe that children should have the right to divorce their parents if their emotional and physical safety is at risk, at the hands of abusive parents. Children could be emotionally scarred by the constant bickering of two unhappy parents. Children can also be hurt by alcoholic or drug addicted parents. One celebrity child that I’ve read about who has divorced his parents is Macaulay Culkin. His parents did not keep their son’s best interests at heart and took advantage of their celebrity son and the money that he earned. Another celebrity that I know of that divorced her parents is Drew Barrymore who was not given appropriate parental supervision and was exposed to drinking, drugs, and smoking by the age of thirteen. This connects to the blog topic because it provides examples supporting the idea that kids should be allowed to divorce their parents. Contrary to what I believe I can see why some people believe children shouldn’t be allowed to divorce their parents. One argument against allowing a child to divorce their parents is that children don’t have the maturity to make such a life altering decision. As Rachel says: “Kids often get too angry or caught up in their tempers to evaluate the whole situation at hand. If every time you got angry with your parents you might consider a divorce from them when later in life you will truly regret it.” All in all I believe that the children should have the right to divorce their parents as long as the decision is appropriate.

Keyshawn H. said...

I think children should be able to divorce their parents, one reason being what if a parent is a drug addict. The parent would always be neglecting the child and finding ways to get drugs. When people are on drugs it also causes them to go crazy and this leads up to abuse. It is against the law to abuse children. It is known as corporal punishment and it is wrong. My third reason is for neglect. Children are supposed to be kept fed and nurtured and if a parent is neglecting them it means they are not getting that type of care. Some parents may run off and leave their children which is heard on the news many of times. When children are being treated in these manner it is a great reason to divorce their parents. Many times in homes that parents are abusing children social workers come in and investigate to see if the children are being abused which is a great idea. Children deserve chances to talk and say whether or not they want to stay with their parents.

Chelsea O said...

I think that a child should be able to divorce their parents, only under certain circumstances, though. If a parent is being abusive towards their child, the child should not have to stand for that. I think that no, a child should absolutely not divorce their parent for no reason. I agree with Clayton when he said " parents are there to guide and make sure that their child is on the right path, to make them the best they can be. " I think that is true, but if a child is not being treated right at home, they should be able too be separated from their parents. Their are stories all the time on TV where children need to be removed from their house, because they never spoke up on how their parents were treating them, and their was nothing they could do about it either. I know someone who went through that. This person never got to speak up and say how their parents were raising them. This person had to be removed from the house, then sent into the D.C.F. program. I believe that if this child had the right to divorce their parents, they wouldn't have had to go through that. In conclusion, I think that children should have the right to divorce their parents, with an appropriate reason.

Brian M. said...

Children should be able to divorce their parents. Just imagine being put in the enviornment where your parents are fighting non-stop. If you are in that kind of a situation, it would be a good switch out of that home. Or, imagine your parent(s) being on drugs. If you are exposed to that kind of stuff when you are young, you should be able to break away. Many of you may think it is wrong to divorce your parents, but put yourself in that childs position. I know it may be unfair for a parent to have their kid taken away, but it may be for the better. It could save the childs life, and have a big positive impact on their future. And if you had an opportunity to go into a safe home, that is drug and fighting free, you would take that option. So before you oppose that right of children, put yourself in their shoes.

Sarah S. said...

I think that you have the right to divorce a parent(s) under special circumstances. I think this because if kids have abusive or alcoholic parents that hurt them (physically or emotionally) then they should be able to get away from them and get a better life. If this would happen the child should have a signed document stating that they are ok to go live with this family. The family must have financial support and a good background. I agree with Kristine K. when she says, “But I think that if kids want to divorce their parents they have to have a good reason, like my parents are abusive or addicted. Once their “reason” is approved they have to decide to live with someone responsible and give a reason why that person is responsible.” I agree with her because you can’t just pick a new set of parents you have to get them approved so that someone knows that you are in good hands and will make good decisions for you. I can relate to this because I read a book recently that was about a girl whose father was an alcoholic. At first he tried to hide it but sometimes he would get mad and hit things. When he came home in the morning he would be tired and get mad easily. He would end up not going to work the next morning because he was extremely tired. One time he smashed a glass into his 6yr old son’s face. This would be a reason to divorce your parent because it is not the best environment for you or your sibling to live in. If you divorce one parent though then it would basically be your parents getting a divorce. This is why I think that you have the right to divorce your parent(s) under special circumstances.

Courtney D said...

I think that children do not have the right to divorce their parents. I think this because kids whose parents do not get along very well may not want to live with the fighting and the bickering and the parents should decide this themselves. Also there should be a very good reason why these parents should get the divorce. I agree with Clayton when he stated, “They are there to motivate you, and ensure that you will be set for the tasks you will face when you are older. Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others.” Parents always try there best to keep the kids happy and we should show them respect and let them decide. Do you remember when you were a little kid and you were the kid who loved to do sports and your parents said no? Well this shows that they have always supported you. So should you be splitting up the people who have and will support you the rest of your life? A connection that relates to this is that when I was younger I always wanted a bunny. I remember that my parents would not let me get one. Now that I think back I think they did not let me get the bunny because they wanted to wait till I was more responsible. This is why I don’t think kids have the right to divorce there parents.

Marin K said...

I think that under certain circumstances children should have the right to divorce their parents. I agree with Katie in saying that children should only have this right if their emotional and physical safety is at risk. Children should never be able to divorce a parent just because they want to, if they decide they just don’t like their parents or something. They should have no right to do this if the mother and father are not abusive (both physically and emotionally), or drug attics. Parents always take a big part in their child’s life and really help them become who they are. If a child is getting the wrong kind of influence from their parents they should absolutely have the right to divorce them. As an example Eminem had a horrible life when he was younger. His parents abused him and he was living around drugs since he was born. He diffidently should have had the right to divorce his parents and have a better life. So, overall I think, as long as the reasoning makes sense, children should have the right to divorce a parent.

Ryan B said...

I believe that a child should be able to take their situation to the local police department, so then the police can investigate and see if the child should or shouldn't be with his/her parents. This seem the most logical because a kid could take the case to court and it could be a perfect environment for the child. This would be wasting the jury's and judge's time. But if the parent is abusing the child for what ever reason, they should have the right to contact a police department and have them deal with the situation. But one thing that is not considered, is that what if the child has nowhere to go? The child would need a home, so that is why I think they should be able to choose where they are to live in this case. This is why I believe a child should be able to divorce a parent.

Nick A. said...

I think a child should never have the right to divorce a parent. I think this because, first your parents are their to guide you through the early stages of your life until you can make the right decscions on your own.like clayton F. said "Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others." If a child divorces a parent then they will not be guided through the early stages of life correctly and possibly make the biggest mistake ever. Parents are their to help you but most people wont realize what their parents did for them until they are much older. Overall i dont think kids should be able to divorce their parents, unless their parents are fighting alot, or possibly doing drugs and you feel like you have to just get out, that would be an understandable situation but, other than that i dont think kids should be able to divorce their parents. In the long run for a child to divorce their parent it would be the biggest mistake ever. That is what i think about this matter.

Leanne Marchese said...

In my opinion, I don't think children should have the right to divorce a parent. I agree with James and Clayton when they say they will regret it in the long run. For example, the child might get mad and divorce the parents, but then would want them back together and they might not be able to. Also children have some rights, but in my opinion that would be pushing it. Another reason is the children might get their parents divorced and they might not know what they are doing. They also might be making a big mistake and might not be able to fix the problem. Then the children would have to much freedom and do whatever they want. That is why I don't think a child should ever have the right to divorce a parent.

Logan R said...

I do not think a child should ever be granted the right to divorce, one or both of their parents. I think this because if I child were to leave their parents their own safety and future could end up in jeopardy. For example if a kid were to leave their house after divorcing their parent(s) where would they go? They would probably end up sleeping on the street and not get an education, which would affect their future. Plus, if a child was being harmed or abused at home they should contact a child services agent to fix their problem. Another reason I think that kids shouldn’t be allowed to divorce their parent(s) is because the main philosophy of parents is to help us get ready for the real world, and if a child divorces their parent(s), who will give them that extra help they need to have a good future? Like Clay F. said, “They are there to motivate you, and ensure that you will be set for the tasks you will face when you are older. Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others.” I can think of many examples of where I have wanted to “divorce” or get rid of my parent simply because they didn’t let me do or get me something. But now that I think back on it I believe that it would’ve been very foolish of me to “divorce” my parents just because of a little incident like that. That is why I do not think a child should have the right to divorce their parent(s).

Sandra G said...

I personally think that a child should have the right to divorce a parent. I say this because if a child is being physically abused by one or both parents, then he/she should go to a home where he/she can be properly taken care of. I agree with Liam when he said that if the child believes that he/she should have a better guardian, then they should go to court and explain to the jury, with good reasons, why he/she should divorce there parents. If children aren’t happy at home, with their parents, then I don’t know why people would force them to stay with someone that hurts them. I also agree with Clayton when he said that parents guide their children through life so that they don’t make the same mistakes they did. But I also agree with Liam when he said that if the parents aren’t doing their job by guiding them, them the child should go somewhere where someone will. I’m not saying that it would be okay to leave your parents but if you have really good reasons to leave them, then go to court. I would never leave my parents because they are doing a great job by guiding my through life and making sure that I don’t make the same mistakes they did. Unfortunately my cousin wasn’t as lucky as me. His father left him and his mother when he was only six years old and never bothered to send them money for his education or food. My cousin did divorce his father for not caring for him and not guiding him through life. Now he is all grown up and heading to college but my cousin and his mom still have to get the money for his college. This is why I think children should have the right to divorce a parent even though I wouldn’t do it.

Elise B said...

I think children should be able to get a divorce from their parent under certain circumstances. If a child comes home from school every day to find their parent drunk, no food to eat, and then gets beat, this would obviously be a situation where a child could possibly to file a divorce. But, if a child wants to divorce a parent because they were grounded, then it isn’t applicable. However, in order to do this, the child would need to understand fully what is going on. They must know that if they do this, they will most likely either go to a relative, or up for adoption. They must know that they probably won’t see their parent very often. They would need to think about it for a really long time: is this happening repeatedly, or only once? Do I really want this? This should probably happen weeks after the incident, so they aren’t making a rash decision spur-of-the moment. The divorce should also include a report from the child and another adult why the divorce is being filed, and evidence that it is valid to divorce them. Like Rachel said, “Kids often get too angry or caught up in their tempers to evaluate the whole situation at hand.” However, if certain rules and procedures are followed, then this won’t happen, and a child could divorce a parent if need be. Also, if a child is in a really bad situation and aren’t taken away from it, they could be forced to make a stupid decision, like run away, or act out. If they run away, they could hurt themselves much more than divorcing could, which is why divorcing should be allowed in extreme situations. A child divorcing is kind of like when adult divorces. They might divorce for some of the same reasons. If they are getting beat every day, then might want to get a divorce as well. So, adults and children might divorce for the same reason. And if adults can divorce because they are in a hurtful relationship, why can’t children? This is why it could sometimes be best for the child to be divorced from their parents.

Annamarie O said...

I believe that children should be able to divorce their parents. I think this because if they were having a tough time with their parents and needed them to leave that this would be the only opportunity. As long as they have a place to stay and know how to take care of themselves then I think that they should be able to go off. I know that you should be with your parents until your 18 but if you have a good reason to leave then you should. Besides you’ll be able to see your parents whenever you want no matter where you go they will always be in contact. I also think that they should be able to because kids should be able to make their own decisions anytime. It will help them learn how to vote and go out into the public for a job and what not. Like Kelsey said she would want to live with a friend that knew her very well, I would want to live with someone like Ana or Chelsea for me because their families know me well and promise to take me in whenever. That would be my backup plan if I were to divorce my parents. These are all of the reasons why I think that kids should be able to divorce their parents.

Christian S said...

I do believe that a child has the right to divorce a parent, but only in special circumstances. If a parent is verbally, physically, or sexually abusing a child the child would be extremely scared, sad, and miserable. The child wouldn’t even want parents in the first place. I understand that parents are keys to how you learn, act, speak, and live, but if parents are failing at these jobs kids should have this right. In my own experience a good friend of mine has had problems with his parents abusing him. He doesn’t want to see them again. If he had this opportunity and if his parents continued these behaviors he might consider something like this. On the other side, I also agree with Clayton when he said that kids get mad all the time and in a certain moment you may be very mad at your mom or dad but in the long run it would be a good decision by them. An example of this was just yesterday when my parents told me that I had to go out to dinner with my 70 year old grandparents over going to a hockey game. At the time I thought….WHAT!?!?!?, but in just a day I realized that this outing may mean a lot to my grandparents and they will not be around forever. If this was more serious and took a child longer to realize a parent’s decision was the right one the child may want a divorce and regret it later on. I understand both sides of the argument and have mixed feelings about it.

Kimberly G said...

I think that children should have the right to divorce their parents, but only if they have a reasonable argument. I like what both Clayton F. and Sarah C. have to say on the subject. If the child was abused or neglected in some way, that would be an acceptable reason for divorce. If the child was simply mad at the parent for something trivial, like if the child was grounded (for good reasons), then that would be an invalid reason for divorce. In other words, if the child was ever treated in an unfair way, I think that the child should have a right to divorce their parents(s). Another good reason for a child to divorce their parent(s) would be if the child was in a situation similar to the plot of "My Sister's Keeper." In this book, a child is being used as an organ donor for her sister, who has leukemia. She wanted to sue her parents for the rights to her own body. I think that suing someone for the right to your own body is perfectly acceptable. There is an old saying: "If you don't have your health, then you don't have anything." Well, what if you don't have your own body?

Kate M. said...

I agree with what Kim G. said, if a child has a reasonable arguement, they should be able to divorce their parents. There are plenty of situations where kids shouldn't be in the household because of abuse or neglection, and in those situations the child has every right to divorce their parent(s), because the adults aren't necessarily taking on their responsibilities of being a parent. However, if a child wants to divorce their children for not letting them go out to a party, then that would be a very illegimate reason for divorcing. A child divorce is, in a way, similar to adults divorcing- there is a legitimate reason for the seperation, and both parties are made aware of what they have to lose or gain by the divorce. For a child, they could very well be losing a guide in life- a support system or a motivation. If a child has a legitimate reason for divorcing, then they should have the right to do so.

Marcus F. said...

I don’t think students should be able to legally divorce their parents. One reason is that they are children and probably don’t know all the details leading up to the arguments or fight that their parents might be having. Another reason is that if a child divorces their parents it might not be for a good reason. For example if a child witnesses their parents arguing he/she will think they should get divorced. In my opinion I would never want my parents to be divorced because they have gone through so much together. If they get divorced all those good memories would be lost. Also, if a child divorces their parents he/she would have a guilty conscious for the rest of his life. Finally, if a child lets their parents get a divorce there parents can’t guide the child one way or another. That is why I don’t think kids should be allowed to get their parents divorced.

Olivia O. said...

I think that a child should be able to choose to legally separate from one or both of his or her parents. I think this because like Kristine K. said, "If the child is being abused or neglected, why should they have to stay there, and continue living in fear? Parents are in your life to help you make the right decisions and care for you. Without your parents, you would have no one to keep you from danger and steer you in the right direction. But what if the parent is the one ensuring harm on the child? Doesn't every child deserve to have good, loving, and kind parents to help them through their troubles? I believe that every child should have the right to divorce a parent because they deserve to have that right. I think this will also stop parents from physically, or verbally abusing their children. If a parent knows that their child has the right to divorce them if they do not provide needs for their child, they might stop hurting their child. I agree with Sarah C. when she says that, "If a child wants to get a divorce, then they should go to court, and the jury can decide if their reasoning is valid." Yes, if this right was acquired, sometimes children might file divorces against their parents for silly reasons, such as getting grounded for not cleaning their room or being on the computer too much, but that is the reason why the case would have to go to court. A judge would help fairly decide if the parents could be dangerous to the child or change the child's life. For instance, my friend Rachel's mom works at a school in Waterbury. The children at this school sometimes act out or misbehave because of their home life. If every child in the world had a loving family, there would be much less problems with school systems. Last, I believe that there should be a place children can go if they are being abused. Sometimes, such as in the movie Pay it Forward, a child is being physically hurt by a parent, but is too afraid of the parent to call for help. In Pay it Forward, the child is scared of the father because the father burned the boy's body for trying to stand up for his mother. I think children like the boy in this movie need to know that there's always a safe place out there for them to go if home becomes dangerous for them. This is why I think that a child should be able to legally separate from one or both of his or her parents.

Olivia D said...

I think that a child should be able to divorce their parents. However, like Sarah Cava said, they should have an approved reason to do so. If the parent(s) are abusing or mistreating the child then yes, they should have a right to do something about it. If it is just because the child is mad at the parents over something small like being grounded, then no, it would not be ok to divorce the parents.

I think that otherwise kids would continuosly get abused and have to live in fear. So this is why children should be able to divorce their parents.

Olivia S said...

I think children should have the right to divorce themselves from their parents but only under certain circumstances. This would be if their parents weren’t properly taking care of their child the best they could or were abusive and dangerous. I do not think that a child should be able to divorce from parents for a weak reason like being grounded or not getting something they wanted. But if it is was dangerous for a child to live with their parent then they should be able to go to court giving their reason and get a new guardian who treats them properly. This would be like if spouses got a divorce from each other. Usually people do this if they know things would be better if they were apart. If they didn’t get along at all and were not happy with each other they should not be forced to stay together. So if a child being with a parent is making things worse and unsafe then the child should be able to divorce from the parent for their safety and to make things better.

Casey W. said...

I think that a kid should never have the right to divorce a parent. I say this because parents are there for guidance, safety and help you be your best. And without your parents all your valuables and clothes would be gone because lets be honest parents buy there kids almost everything they have. This topic is like when my parents friends got divorced and my moms friend was upset and angry at the same time didn’t know what to do. Also if kids were allowed to divorce there parents it would be done out of anger because of a fight and it might have seemed right to do at the time but after its done the kid would realize it was a big mistake. And this kind of stuff happens because of kids calling child services. But I agree with Liam when he says, “if the child's parents are being unfair or physically abusing the child, then the child will be miserable.” So I see both sides of this argument of getting or not getting a divorce from your parents. In conclusion I think a child should not be able to divorce there parents unless the parents are being physically abusive and treating the kid unfairly.

Sam K said...

I think students should be able to divorce their parent or parents under certain circumstances. Like Sarah Cava and Olivia D said, if the parents are abusing or mistreating the child then the child should be able to speak out and have their life helped by someone else. Another way a child should be able to divorce their parents is if they set a bad example for you. For example, if a parent is doing drugs and drinking all the time, this parent is not setting a good example for the child and if the child recognizes that, then they should have the right to speak out and divorce. If they were to divorce their parent or parents without good reason, then this would not be right, because first of all, most parents are out there to guide their child into a good future, and if your parents are doing the right things by saying do your homework or things similar to that, then there is no need to divorce them. The child should be happy if their parent or parents treat them well and with respect. I can connect to this topic very well because at times, my parents make me angry and disappointed, so at times, if I were allowed to, I might want to divorce my parents when really it would not be a good idea at all to because I would no longer have guidance or someone to look to for help or even set rules and limits for me. I cannot connect to wanting to divorce my parents with good reason because I think that parents treat me very well and do a great job at guiding me and helping me as well as setting limits for me. But if I had a parent that abused me or was a terrible example, then I know that I would at times, if not all the time, would want to divorce them and that might be good for me so I could stop getting abused and no longer have any fear of them or if they were setting a bad example, then I would no longer have to worry about them leading me in the wrong direction. That’s why I think that children should be able to divorce their parent or parents under certain circumstances.

Maisie. said...

I think a child should, in special circumstances, be allowed to divorce a parent. Like Clay said, a parent is there to guide, support, and love their children. But what if the parent isn’t adequately providing these necessities? Then a child should have the right. They should prevent clear reasons with evidence to a court. There should also be an age limit to this- of course, a three year old shouldn’t be able to divorce their parents. But if a parent abuses a child, should they have to subject to the misery? I don’t think so. Children should be heard. If a child might be happier in a more stable household, then they should be placed there. My aunt and uncle were foster parents for many years, and the children they took in were ones removed from households due to unacceptable behaviors of parents. Or, there could be a compromise- maybe the parents and children could have a separation trial before going all the way through with the divorce. That way, the parents and children both could see what it would be like and think over their decisions. That’s why I think children should have the right to divorce their parents.

(Mr. Croft, I added my connection)

MarisaP♥ said...

Children divorcing thier parents is know as emancipation. This means that the parents have no responsibility for the child. I think that the only time emancipation should be allowed, like Luke and many others said, should only be in extreme circumsances. Valid reasons for emancipation would be serious abuse or neglect. But even in these cases, child services should be called, and the child should be put in another home where abuse and neglect isn't present. If emancipation is nessacary, a judge must decide: Does the child have a place to go? Can he support himself? Is the child responsible enough to live on his own? In the end, will the divorce benefit the child? The only cases I have ever heard of a child emancipating from thier parents was child actors. I think that in those situations, the child's parents were not being responsible with thier child's money. In these cases, the emancipated children would have enough money to live on thier own. M final position is emancipation should only be allowed in extreme cases.

Zack C said...

I agree with Brian if a child is in an unhealthy enviroment such as fighting, drugs, abouce or other harmful substances, than a child sould be able to devorse their parents. If moving out of the unhaelthy enviroment has a positive impact on their life a child shounld be able to devorse their parents. There needs to be a good reason for the devorse though like they can’t devorse there parents if they are mad. My sisters were In a home where their mom abused them and they needed to be taken away from their mom. Then we adopted them and they have a really good life now. So it can be a good thing to be seperated from your parents if they are cuasing you harm. I also agree with Liam the child should have to present their argement to a jury. If the jury states that the disition to devorce the perants than the child will be put in the hands of a gadean whitch they stae in the case. It can be a good Idea to devorce a perant.

Jessica G-S. said...

I have mixed opinions on this. I suppose I think that children should have a right to divorce their parents, but they should have limitations. For instance, they couldn't divorce them just if they were angry or didn't like them, it would have to be for a very good, legitimate reason, like verbal or physical abuse. That way it would be for the good of the child. And also, if a child does decides to divorce their parents, in a few years they might realize it wasn't the best decision. So, they should be allowed to revoke the divorce, that way it doesn't have to be permanent. I understand there could possibly be conflicts with this because a court/jury would have to have set boundaries for when a child can and cannot get a divorce from their parents,and the parents would have to agree to let the child revoke it, but it would be better then forcing a child to like with an abusive parent or with a choice they regret. When I think of this situation, I think of when the Us separated from Britain. Many people said it was crazy and dumb. But it wasn't because some of us just didn't lie the king or because maybe a small group of people were angry at a certain British soldier; it was because they were being mistreated and abused by their leader, and in the end breaking away turned out to be a good decision. It would be very similar if a child divorces a parent.

Lauren O. said...

I think that a child should have the right to divorce their parents. Although, it really depends on the situation. For example, if it’s just the parents personalities that happen to “not blend well together,” as in constantly arguing, or bickering, then that should really be up to the parents if they want to be divorced or not. But if the child has abusive parents, like a drug attic mom or an alcoholic dad ,who can put their life at risk, then the child should have the right to get some sort of help, and divorce their parents for their own good. I agree with Clayton when he said that “Children need their parents to guide, otherwise they could make careless mistakes in life that can possibly endanger or even be fatal to them or others.” But if you have parents who aren’t capable of doing that, don’t you think they should do something about it? I also agree with Maisie when she said that there should be an age limit of you were to divorce your parents. I mean, you really can’t be a two year-old trying to divorce your parents for your safety. You probably don’t even know what’s going on at that age anyways. Also I do know a child who’s mom was a drug attic. And their dad was abusive. Even though the situation turned out to be that the parents decided to get a divorce, I thought the child should have at least had some say in whether or not his or her parents should have gotten divorced. That is what I think about whether or not children should be able to divorce their parents.

Sebastian T. said...

I think that a child should have the right to divorce a parent only in particular circumstances. This is because I agree with Clayton F. that primary function of parents is to "guide and make sure that their child is on the right path in order to make them the best they can be". Another reason for parents having the privilege to control their child's rights is to protect and prevent the child from acquiring deleterious materials or breaking other laws as well as teaching them how to survive independently in society later on in life. For example, it is a parent's duty to stop or prevent their child from drinking alcoholic beverages until they have eighteen years of age in certain states. But many of these parents' rights over their children are for the benefit, wellbeing, present rights, and future rights of the child. This can be seen where a parent has the authority over their child less than eighteen years of age to have control over decisions of education, wellbeing, marriage, enlistment in armed forces, etc. But, if a parent is abusing these rights or their child, I think that it should be legal for said child to apply for a divorce from said abusive parents. This is because under these circumstances, the parent is not controlling decisions based on the nurturing of their child, but for their own gains, mistakes, etc. So, if said parent is proven incapable of guiding or caring for their child, the child should be allowed to divorce the parent and either be provided with foster parent or be allowed to live at an orphanage. Also, if the parent is abusive, then they are infringing upon the natural rights of the child, and thus the child should be allowed to have a situation in which he/she can prosper most without abuse. To add to this, recently a woman called Rhonda Gorrell was arrested for convictions of child abuse. In this case, the child was taken into custody. This relates to the subject because it involves the separation of a parent and their child through legal means much like divorce which is the legal separation of each part in a marriage. The major difference between this event and the blog topic is that in this case the child was taken by the state, whereas the blog topic pertains to the child requesting separation from their parent. So, since it was legal to take Rhonda's son from her because of abuse, then shouldn't children be allowed to ask for a divorce from their parents if they can prove neglect of parental duties or abuse? That is why I think that a child should be allowed to divorce their parent if evidence of neglect or abuse is provided and validated by a court.

patrick buell said...

i think a kid should never be able to divorce his/her parent. i think that because kids are still learnin g and dont know what they are doing most of the time. the only reason why a kid should be able to is if the parent is abusive or not supportive. also if a parent is not doing anything to help you with school or health tou should proboly talk to someone that could help you because your parents are suposed to help guide you and help you with hard decisions not do nothing and mess up your whole child hood.