Sunday, October 17, 2010

Limitation of Individual Freedom

All of us have some of our freedoms taken away because our social contract says that some greater goal is achieved by limiting those freedoms.
  • Children are robbed of their freedom to spend their time however they want because adults think we will have a better society if people are educated.
  • Adults do not have the freedom to spend their money how they want because our social contract says that everyone needs to pay taxes to contribute to things like roads, police, and schools.
  • None of us have the freedom to walk around in public without clothing because our social contract says that public nudity is offensive and disturbs the peace.
What freedoms are taken away from you? What is the reason or purpose for limiting your freedom? Do you think it is fair and appropriate that our rights and freedoms are limited in these ways? Would you suggest any changes?

74 comments:

Emma V. said...

There are a lot of freedoms that are taken away from myself. Most of them are from my parents. They decide what time I have to go to bed, what extra activities I have to do, when I have to wake up, do chores, eat, do homework, and go somewhere. Other adults also prohibit my freedoms by telling me that I have to stay with them, work with a specific person or people, or do tell me that I have to do a large volume of homework otherwise my grade will be effected. Those older people usually limit freedom because they care and only want the best for me but, sometimes it feels like there being very unfair or to protective. One of the changes that should be made is the amount of homework that students are given. Not only does it take long to do but, it also takes away the freedom for kids who would choose to do what they want with their time. People should also be able to choose what extra activities they want to do. If those activities were chosen for people, then they might not be able to find what makes themselves happy in life. I think that there should defiantly be a little more freedom for young people.

Krissi C. said...

One freedom that could be taken away from me is that if i dont do good in school that i get my computer privlages taken awaythis gets taken away from me because having the computer is a privliage and if you dont earn it you dont get to use it. As Emma Verbicas said, most of the freedoms in my house come from my parents. i actually do think it is fair that our rights are limited because in the first ammendment it said that we have the right to assemble peacefully, however this could be taken wrong. for example) if a group of people get together (assemble) and plan to kill someone it could be a problem so, that is why our rights are limited. i wouldn't suggest any changes because i think the government figures have everything under control.

Kelsey J said...

I think that my rights are taking away at home and school. The freedoms that are taking away are the right to free speech. It is taken away at home because I cannot always say what I want at home. If something is supposes to be done, I can’t protest and say that I don’t want to without being punished or told I must. At school I cannot be mean or hurtful to others. If I was seen doing this I would be punished or told I cannot. I understand that these rules must be enforced and have to be followed. At home it is a way to show an appreciation for my parents by helping them out. At school it’s a way to make sure that people aren’t hurt or that the school won’t get out of control. I think it’s fair that these rules are enforced but could be lighten up a small bit at school. Even though teachers do have the right to give discipline, we do have the right to free speech and some people shouldn’t get punished because of small things they say. Of course there are exceptions and the situation depends on whether or not they should be punished. That is what rights that are taken away from me.

Laura V said...

I’m sure everyone has had some of their rights limited and believes that it’s completely unfair; but our rights our limited more as children, so when you are an adult it won’t be limited so much. Of course I’ve had my right limited; mostly it’s done by my parents, like Krissi and Emma. My parents tell me what I have to do and when I have to do it. Also there are things like when to go to bed, when to wake up, what to eat, when to eat, when I have to do homework, when I can go outside, where to go, and how to dress (sort of). But rights are also limited by other people, too. Honestly my rights are limited by “rules” in general; things like “NO SWIMMING” signs, and even “NO DOGS!” signs. But more or less our rights are limited to protect us and keep us safe from harm. When you see a sign that says “NO SWIMMING” that might be there because some people aren’t strong swimmers or there could be something “bad” in the water. Also if you see a “NO DOGS!” sign that could be because some dogs bite or that people are allergic to them. Our rights are limited to protect us, even though it sometimes seems unfair.

Rachel C. said...

There are many freedoms taken away from me. Adults take most of them away. For example, I am not able to spend my time freely (I have to go to school) and, in some situations, I am not allowed to go to the bathroom, to get a drink, go to the nurse, ect. in school. If we (the students/children) do not complete/obey these rules, we are usually punished too. Depending on your parent’s parenting style, many freedoms are also taken away or limited, like your bedtime, who you hang out with and when, your homework time and what activities you do. Yet, this can also be based on what kind of person you are/were. For instance, if your parents know that you have a pattern in staying up late and then being unfocused during school, they are going to give you a bedtime to help you, not to punish you. I agree with Emma V. when she said that adults usually limit/take away some of our freedoms for our own good, even though we often think that they are being over protective or unfair. However, every now and then adult’s limit/take away our freedoms for there own benefit. One change that I would suggest is the amount of homework students are given. It is often way too much and I think that teachers should discuss what homework they are going to give so that they can minimize or change it. Also, when you add sports to it, students sometimes have to stay up late to finish all assigned work. I think that young people should be given a little more say into what freedoms they have or shouldn’t have.

Liam K. said...

A lot of freedoms are taken away from me as a child by my parents and I am sure it goes the same way for other children as well. Some freedoms that are limited to me are my bed time, my freedom to spend my money on whatever i want, what i can eat, where I can go at what times and who I am allowed to talk to. I think that the purpose for limiting my freedoms is to keep me safe and healthy. I do think that it is fair and appropriate that our rights and freedoms are limited in these ways because my parents are my parents and they are just trying to keep me safe. I can't just decide to have my freedoms unlimited until i grow up and have my own life with my own limitations. I definitely agree with Emma V. that one of the changes that should be made is the amount of homework a student is given each night. Students should be able to do whatever they want with their time off of the school grounds. I think that children should have more freedom so that we are not overloaded with homework.

Mike N. said...

Some freedoms taken away from me are playing video games whenever I want, going to bed when I want to, how many days we have to go to school, and how the homework has to be done. I think the purpose for limiting these freedoms are that parents and teachers always think they know best because they have already been through it. Some other freedoms taken away are from the government. For example, the law that you have to wear a bike helmet when you ride your bike on the street or you have to be sixteen to get your driver's license. Some people are ready to get their driver's license when they are fifteen and some people won't be ready until they are eighteen or older. I think that these rules are made to try to be fair and keep people safe but I agree with Emma V. that sometimes it seems unfair and too protective. I agree with Laura when she said that our rights are limited to protect us and keep us safe from harm. I agree with Rachel that teachers should discuss how much homework they are giving out because it's way too much to do and limits our freedom to do the things we want to do. One other change I would make is that there should be no summer homework because it limits our freedom to enjoy the whole summer because we keep thinking about school and getting the homework done.

Luke W said...

The freedoms that are taken away from me are…

• The right to freedom, this is limited because when you get home from school you have to do homework and you don’t get to have “fun” with friends and you are limited to what you get to do.
• One purpose could be that it helps you learn and then you get and education.
• I think that it is not a good thing that our right should be limited in that way, because… one it is a violation of our rights, and it is killing people because when you do homework you cant socialize and when you don’t socialize you have no social life, and when you have no social life you become depressed and then it is likely you will commit suicide.
• I suggest that there should be an extra hour of school to do your homework (like a study hall at the end of the day).

Maddy M said...

The main freedoms that are taken away from me are taken away by my parents and teachers. My Mom and Dad feel that they should make rules for me so I get to have a much more fulfilling life. The rules they set for me are to help make me a well-rounded person. On certain days, my parents have me take violin lessons and dance classes to help me gain a better perspective of performing arts. They also set boundaries by monitoring my social calendar and by letting me know when I can’t and when I can be with friends. Yes, that is taking away some of my freedom away, but they are doing it in my best interest. My teachers sometimes take away my free time by giving me homework when I might have other plans, which can be extremely irritating, but they are also doing these annoying events in my best interest for my future school and work career. Honestly, I think one thing that should not be changed is how much work we are given to do at home. I think this because high school and college teachers probably won’t meet up and decide who is giving out how much homework that night. One change I do think should be made is not having big tests on the same day. Although I think quizzes for different subjects can be on the same day.

Joseph F. said...

I have a lot of freedoms that have been taken away like to get good grades, go to bed at this time, tell me to eat this, and to go to school. But one of the bigger ones in my opinion is that it is illegal for kids to drive under 16. The reason that the freedom is taken away from me is because the adults think that they are more mature. They think that we will hurt ourselves and the other people around us. No, I don't think that it is fair because there are thousands of accidents each year and I don’t think that it will change if they let kids drive. The changes that I would put in are that if you are 12 years old or older you should be able to drive. I agree with what Emma V. said, one of the changes that should be made is the amount of homework that students are given. I think that kids should have no homework after they get home from school. Those are some of the freedoms that have been taken away from me.

mikey t said...

Some of the freedoms that have been taken away from me are the right to go where I want. For example, I have to go to school. But, I understand why I have to go to school. It is to get an education and get a really good job. With that, I have to do homework in my free time. That wastes the time I could be doing something I’d prefer to do. Another right is free speech. For example, if I had an idea for a new law, it would be heard because I’m young.

Alden C. said...

Some freedoms taken away from me are during school. One right is the right to freedom. This right is taken away in school because teachers can take away your freedom. For example, I can't just get up and say, "I'm going to the bathroom." I have to raise my hand and ask the teacher. When I do that the teacher can either tell me yes or no. I understand why this is a rule though. Kids could be leaving class during tests, and interupting everyone. If people could do that then it would infringe on your right to learn, so these are fair I think. I'd like to change the rule about asking to get a drink, or go to the bathroom, and I'd like to make it so unless the teacher has a legitament reason why you can't go go, they should always allow you to go to the bathroom or get a drink. These just seem like rights we should have.

Keyshawn H. said...

Alot of rights have been taken away from me. The one i wish the government never took was the driving age. Now that it is illegal to drive at under 16. I think its unfair to kids with diseases that always wanted to drive and then they past away and never get to drive. Also what if the child is a prodigy at driving would it be okay for him to drive. I also think that it is unfair for the government just to guess that us children are not mature enough to drive. Everyday there is a death from a car accident teenagers are involved adults are involved their either drinking or texting but aren't they over 16 what makes us different from them. I think ounce a kid has an IQ over 80 they should be allowed to drive. it is unfair to kids who have the skill to drive to miss out because the government thinks we are not ready. come on government let us drive.

Margot W said...

0ne right that is taken away from me is what time I go to the bed. I can’t just go to bed whenever I want. This is because if I go to bed at 1 in the morning I will be extremely tried in the morning. I get why this is a rule because my mom and dad care about my health and they want me to be in bed by 9:30. They want me to be able to force in school and do well in school. But I would like to have it changed a little. I would want it to be at least ten. This is because I have sports and sometimes I don’t get home until 7ish, and then I still have homework, and still didn’t have dinner. And by the time I have dinner it is already 9:30. And there is still homework. When I am done with homework I like to relax before going to bed and watch some T.V. but sometimes I don’t have any time and I have to go right to bed.

Marin K said...

Many freedoms are taken away from me, mostly by my parents. One example is that I can’t randomly leave my house to go for a bike ride, or walk, or walk to my friends’ house; I’d have to ask my parents first. Another, like Kelsey mentioned in hers, is that I don’t always have the right to free speech. I could keep talking and talking, and even protest against my parents’ decisions, but either way I will just get punished or grounded and the trouble will just get worse and worse as I go on. This kind of puts a limit on my free speech. Although these freedoms are taken away from me I understand they are just enforced to keep me safe, and to help me learn how to and not too act in the future, and even though these limits can be very annoying, I know that they are very important and fair. I think there are some things that I would want to have more freedom with, but I don’t think there’s many changes I can think of that I’d like to make.

AlisaG said...

We, as kids, have many freedoms taken away from us. Most are taken away from adults (parents and teachers). When we’re at home, parents are in charge. When we’re in school, teachers are in charge. We’re pretty much always going to have limited freedom. We have the freedom of how to spend our time taken away because we have to attend school. Sometimes at school, we don’t have the freedom to get a drink, go to the bathroom, or eat whenever we want. These are the teachers’ rules. At home, most kids will have many freedoms taken away, such as: when they can hang out with friends, bed time, activities they do, friends they have, etc. The reasons for limiting our freedom are to help us and it’s really just for our own education and to help us be successful in our lives. If we do not act wisely now (with some freedoms being limited), then chances are we won’t in the future. Some freedoms that are taken away I think are fair, but some I think not. For example, I think it is fair that we have to attend school because it’s for our own education and will help us to have a successful life. But I don’t think it’s fair that parents dictate how much time we spend with friends, even when it’s reasonable. I would definitely want more time to spend with friends. But overall, I think that these freedoms are limited for our own good. One change I’d make, as Rachel said, is the homework amount. I think we get way too much homework and it really limits the time we have off from school, to do other activities. Maybe that is the reason many kids are up so late, and then tired at school the next day. This is what I think about our individual freedom.

Sarah C. said...

As a “child,” I have many limits on my rights, many of which come from my parents. My parents decide when to go to bed, when to get up, what to eat, and they decide what chores I do. Other adults also decide my limits. Teachers decide what work I do at home, and what work I do at school. They also decide what I talk about during class, and my volume level. Although I do want to protest these limits, I know the adults have a purpose. Like Emma V. said, “Those older people usually limit freedom because they care and only want the best for me…”I do realize that they are trying to help me by limiting my freedoms. Most of the time limits, like becoming friends with only people we know on Facebook, do keep us safe. But sometimes, the limits can seem unjust. A change we should make is to make a written social contract like we did in Mr. Croft’s class. That way, “children” will have certain rights that can’t be limited.

Brendan D. said...

I have a lot of freedoms that have been taken away. Some are like, what time I go to bed, to get more time for homework when I have hockey practice, and to go to school. I think that yes school is good for education but it’s tiring when I need to get up in the morning at 6:10 to go to school. Some of the changes I would like to make are that if we got to wake up at like 7:10 then start school a little later then students will get better sleep and will be rested up to be able to do their actual best and not be tired all the time. Also I see why I need to go to bed at a certain time to get enough rest, but for example if you are at your sports practice and you get home late and you still need to do home work then it can ruin your chance to do your homework well and done for the next day. Yes I think it’s fair that our rights are limited because some of our rights that are limited, like freedom of speech, I agree with because at school you can’t be saying bad things and maybe hurtful things to people just because you have the right of free speech. If people did that like making fun of people about their religion then, one, your abusing your freedom of speech and two, you are ruining a student’s right to religion and beliefs. I think the reasons or purpose for limiting my freedom is because then I will be doing the right thing and be successful in life and maybe make my dreams come true. Those are some freedoms that have been taken away from me.

Griffin Y. said...

Several freedoms that have been taken away from are to go to school and not have the privelege to drive under the age of 16. For example, if I do not go to school, I will earn or get a good job in the future. This is because I did not get a proper education that is expected by companies hiring. I think the reason for limiting our freedom is to make the world a better, safer environment. I think this because education is needed to make the world a smarter, better, and safer place for many people to live in. For this, I think it is fair for our freedoms and rights to be limited because these changes that our parents or our government makes is for good reason I think. I do not think there are any changes in our rights and freedoms that would make our life better even though some of these changes could make life more fun. But, making it fun doesn't mean it will make life better or safer.

Emma R. said...

The main freedoms takes away from me are from my parents, elders, and teachers. For example my parents limit everything i do, like what i eat, where i go, if i can hang out with friends, and ect. Elders limit what i do by instructing me do do things like help out, or give them respect. My teachers limit me by having me do homework, listen to them for the whole class time, and to also be respectful. The reason for limiting my freedom is to protect me, educate me, and to keep me healthy. I do think these are fair, otherwise kids could do whatever they want and that would not be good to our society. They might vandalize and not learn respect. i do not recomend any changes beacuse i think our society is doing well.

Sandra G said...

I think that many of my rights are limited when I go to school and get home. For example, at home and school my freedom of speech is limited. I say this because I can’t say anything inappropriate or anything that’s hurtful or rude. Another freedom that is limited is my electronic privileges. This right is limited at home; if I get a bad grade, I can’t use any electronics and just stay in my room and read/study. Another right that is limited is the right to protest. If I protest at home that I don’t want to do something, I get grounded. Sometimes I think that it is really unfair for my rights to be limited, but then I realize that if my right weren’t limited I would grow up to be a very rude and unsuccessful person. I wouldn’t change anything because some rights have to be limited and because like Krissi said, the government has everything under control.

Daniel G said...

In my life the freedoms that are taken away are. One is the time I go to bed. The reason for going to bed early is so I can get a full night’s sleep and to be awake in class and active. Yes I do think it is fair because I want to get good grades so I have to go to sleep. This will help me so I can pay attention.
The second is going to the bathroom at school. I agree with Alden you have to raise your hand and wait for the teacher to call on you. The purpose of limiting my freedom is so I don’t interrupt class. Yes it is appropriate since you don’t interrupt class but I do not like it. I suggest that we should just be able to have a sign out book that tells where we are going instead of raising your hand.

Brendan D. said...

I have a lot of freedoms that have been taken away. Some are like, what time I go to bed, to get more time for homework when I have hockey practice, and to go to school. I think that yes school is good for education but it’s tiring when I need to get up in the morning at 6:10 to go to school. Some of the changes I would like to make are that if we got to wake up at like 7:10 then start school a little later then students will get better sleep and will be rested up to be able to do their actual best and not be tired all the time. Also I see why I need to go to bed at a certain time to get enough rest, but for example if you are at your sports practice and you get home late and you still need to do home work then it can ruin your chance to do your homework well and done for the next day. I agree with Alden C. when she said " I'd like to change the rule about asking to get a drink, or go to the bathroom, and I'd like to make it so unless the teacher has a legitament reason why you can't go, they should always allow you to go to the bathroom or get a drink." Yes I think it’s fair that our rights are limited because some of our rights that are limited, like freedom of speech, I agree with because at school you can’t be saying bad things and maybe hurtful things to people just because you have the right of free speech. If people did that like making fun of people about their religion then, one, your abusing your freedom of speech and two, you are ruining a student’s right to religion and beliefs. I think the reasons or purpose for limiting my freedom is because then I will be doing the right thing and be successful in life and maybe make my dreams come true. Those are some freedoms that have been taken away from me.

Courtney D said...

There are a lot of freedoms that are taken away because we are kids. One freedom that is taken away is time. Most of our time is spent either at school or doing homework. Which leaves barely an time for sports and friends. Another freedom that is taken we don’t have is to decide what time we can go to bed and what we can wear. The reason parents limit our freedom is to protect us and keep us safe. I don’t think that it is fair that we are not allowed our full freedom till we are 18. Also we should have some freedom of speech of what we would like to do. If i could change one thing it would be the freedom to do what ever i wanted.

Kristine K said...

The freedoms that are taken away from me are being able to go on the computer or over to a friends house.The reason that those freedom/rights are taken away from me is because I did something bad. For example talk backed to my parents or got mad at my sister and hit her. Then I get my freedoms taken away. Sometimes I don't think it is fair to get your freedoms taken away. For example if you talked back to your parents you are using your right to freedom of speech. But then they take away on of your freedoms and it isn't really fair. I also think that is fair and appropriate to limit rights of and freedom. I think that because if you said or did something inappropriate, like ran around naked or swore at an innocent person just for saying hello, that's not right. Then you should have rights or freedoms taken away as a punishment. I agree with Emma V about this all. She said that kids have a lot of rights and freedoms taken away from them and that as a change they should have a little more freedom. I think Emma is really right about that us kids do have a lot to do. If there were do be any change it should be to give kids a little more freedom with what they do.

Niko F said...

As a kid there are a lot of rights taken away from me. They are taken away by me parents, teachers and the state. From my parents they decide what is good for me. Like a time I have to be in bed by, do homework, and free time. These rights and duties I’m cool with because in my house its really a balance between everyone, if I help around the house they help me out with something that I want to do like my dad is helping me to make a dirt bike track and I have to help too and get my home work done before we work. Most of my rights are taken away by the school. All day I have to follow a schedule and if I decide to take a break from it I’ll get yelled at. Even after a test either we read or do homework. I know its good to get that stuff done but we just worked our brains hard so why can’t we take a break and draw or something. The things I would change is in D1, it’s a free period so why can’t we choose what we wish, and would change that reading on Thursday, I mean what about if someone really needs that time to finish an assignment before class. Also I would let the students have a little more freedom. Some of my rights gets taken away by the state. Like I’m not allowed to drive on roads with my dirt bike. It is a motorized vehicle so why can’t we use it for a joy ride or something. Also being a certain age to drive and drink, at the age of 18 you can go into war and kill someone with a gun but you can’t drink. Also what if a kid is extremely smart and can drive like a pro, I think as long that he/she can pass a driving test they should be able to drive. So yes I do not think it is fair to have these limitations.

Ben L said...

I have three freedoms that are taken away from me include:
1. Playing Wii on school days.
2. Going to bed by 10:00 pm or earlier.
3. Have a cell phone.
I’m not allowed to play Wii on school days because it would interfere with schoolwork and sports. School work and sports are more important than video games. By going to bed early, I get the necessary sleep, so I can think and function better. By not having a cell phone, I don’t have the distractions from phone calls. The first two are fair and appropriate, but not having a cell phone is not. I could ignore phone calls that come in and in case of emergencies; I could contact someone if I had a cell phone. I agree with Brendan because you need to go to bed at a certain time.

Anonymous said...

I have a few freedoms/rights taken away from me. Some of my rights that are limited are: my right to go to bed when I want, when and what to eat, and when to wake up. These freedoms are limited to me because my parents regulate all of these freedoms. I do think that these limits on these freedoms are fair and appropriate because my parents actually have the right to limit these freedoms. That is because they are the “government” in our house, and I am like a “citizen” there. I also agree that the limits are fair because these limits suggest what’s best for me, and this is good. I would suggest that I can make my own sensible decisions, because I am a good decision-maker. I would also suggest that the limits could be lessened, because I could handle having fewer limits to follow.

Elise B said...

There are many freedoms I am give, but, there are many that have been taken away, too. For example, I am allowed free speech, according to the constitution. But, I am not allowed to say things that could hurt others’ feelings, or that are considered rude. This is one limit on a freedom of mine. The next limit that is put on my freedoms is one about free time. I am not allowed to choose what I can do each day. I must attend school. I must do homework, and if I play a sport, I must attend practice. I devote time to doing whatever chores my parents say I must do as well. This limits my freedom because these things will help me prepare for when I am an adult. I need to go to school, because I need an education. I need to do my homework, or I will get a bad grade in that class. If I get a bad grade, then I might not be able to go to whatever school I want which means I might not get the job I want. Homework also teaches me to have a good work ethic, and to get things done on time. But, like Rachel said, we also get a lot of homework, and I think we should get a little less so we can have time for other things, such as dance class, extra music lessons, or a sport that isn’t related to school. Playing sports and attending practices helps me learn commitment. Chores teach me to work. Another freedom that is taken away from me is to eat, drink, sleep, or go to the bathroom when I want. For example, I have to ask to go to the bathroom in school, and the teacher can say no, same with getting a drink. I can’t sleep in school, no matter how late I stayed up the night before doing homework. I have to sleep at home, except for when I need to be doing homework, chores, etc. I also can’t take out food and eat during school. I don’t know why some of these freedoms are taken away from us, because I think that we should be able to drink when we are thirsty, eat when we are hungry, and go to the bathroom when we need too. (However, no sleeping in school I understand) I think that some little things should be changed; like that we should be able to eat a little during school, because break was taken away, and we should be able to go to the bathroom or get a drink. These freedoms are all limited for us, and some should be changed a little.

Nick A. said...

Most freedoms that are taken away from me are from my parents when im at home. When im at school its the teachers'. When at school you can't just do whatever you want like get a drink or just leave class for no reason, you have to follow the teachers' rules becuase they are in charge.I agree with Alden C. when she said " I'd like to change the rule about asking to get a drink, or go to the bathroom, and I'd like to make it so unless the teacher has a legitament reason why you can't go, they should always allow you to go to the bathroom or get a drink." At school your freedom of speech is limited and if you go over the limit their will be consequences. Some freedoms that are taken away from me at home are my parents decide what time i go to bed, when i can hang out with my friends and other things like that. I think these limits are needed because they only help us in the "long run" so, even if you think something isn't fair it will most likely be good for you in the "long run." I Think we as students should be able to ask teachers' not to assign us homework maybe for one night because of sports or something else that you have going on, becuase sometimes you just might not be able to get your homework done. Those are some freedoms that have been taken away from me.

Emily A said...

What freedoms are taken away from you?
What is the reason or purpose for limiting your freedom?
Do you think it is fair and appropriate that our rights and freedoms are limited in these ways?
Would you suggest any changes?
A lot of freedoms are taken away from me, as a “kid”.
One freedom, As Keshawn said, is that I am not aloud to drive until I am 16. I think anyone who is capable of driving should be able to drive, regardless of age. Age discrimination is a huge problem in America.
Like Alisa said “We, as kids, have many freedoms taken away from us. Most are taken away from adults (parents and teachers). When we’re at home, parents are in charge. When we’re in school, teachers are in charge.”
The reasons for limiting our freedom is because people think it will “help us be successful in our lives”.

Jade W said...

The freedom that is taken away from me is the freedom to speech. In a disagreement I try to ask a question or state an opinion and I’m told “Jade Nicole Walker stop arguing.” At school if I say something that is “inappropriate” I am told to come in for lunch because I have a lunch detention. Either way when I try to state my opinion it seems that I am reprimanded. I think the reason for limiting our freedoms is an age thing, for example my mother wasn’t allowed to “talk back” neither was her mother until they reach a certain age. So perhaps it’s just what they were taught. As for teachers its higher authority so even when they’re wrong they’re right. I think of it kind of like a food chain we’re on the bottom and teachers are in the middle and principals are next and then the superintendent and on top is the board of education. I would suggest that adults would have an open- mind and remember how it felt when they were kids. Also if they would understand we’re not trying to be disrespectful. We’re just trying to clarify or state our opinion. I agree with Kelsey that there are rules for a reason, but they should be lightened up a little bit. Also Kelsey said that there are exceptions if a kid is being disrespectful than I understand that consequences must follow. These are the rights taken away from me.

Molly M. said...

The freedoms that are taken away from me our mostly from my parents and teachers. The freedoms that my parents took away from me our, to go to bed at 9:30 on a school night. They make me follow this rule because I would get too sleepy if I didn't do this I would not be my full happy self. Another freedom taken away from me is not to be doing the things I want to do because of home work that my teachers assign to me. I don't think teachers do this to torture us kids but to help us learn and achieve our goals. One more freedom taken away from me is when I have to get a physical for sports. The reason for this is to make sure I am healthy and to get anything done that will make me 100% healthy. I have many more freedoms taken away from me but I can't say them all. I do think that it is appropriate that our rights and freedoms are limited in these ways because if they weren't life would just be crazy and unorganized. I would not suggest any changes because I think life is fine the way it is now so it has no reasons to be changed.

Ana M said...

One of my freedoms that could be taken away would be my computer privileges. If i don't get good grades or do well in school i wouldn't be able to use my computer or even use my phone.
Our parents are like the government because they make the rules in the house. if anyone of us didn't have rules in our house, our house would be chaos. Usually these rules are for our own goods because our parents usually do this to keep us safe.

Ryan B said...

As Molly said, most of my rights that are taken away are from my parents and teachers. I agree with Molly because not only do they control what happens in my life, but also restrict it. One freedom that was taken away from me is that I cannot stay up past 10:30. I find this bothering, but understandable. But still it is taking away a freedom of mine. Also in school teachers control what you say, you cannot say inappropriate things or curse words, that is also understandable, but again it is taking away not only my freedom, but my right to free speech. I understand why these freedoms are taken away, but it seems ridiculous at the same time.

Kaitlyn Smith said...

What freedoms are taken away from you? What is the reason or purpose for limiting your freedom? Do you think it is fair and appropriate that our rights and freedoms are limited in these ways? Would you suggest any changes?

Myself, as a child, I feel as if I do have a lot of freedom but at the same time some of my freedom has been taken away. Its been taken away from authorities higher than me. In other words my parents who controll bed times, when I eat, how long I can stay on the computer, and what I would like to buy. Just the average people around me because they don't want to hear voulger language or see me nude and also will judge the way you act-sterotyping. My friends because say I want to do something and as a group they don't want to do that, we are likely as a group to do something else. Also depending on your group who your friends are and arent. But I wouldn't know how that feels. My teachers, they controll our behavior in class and we can have conquences for things we do freely and that they disaprove of. Finally the government because they wrote the Consitution and the D.O.I and the Amendments. Which all state our rights and duties as an American. Which depending on the law, it can take away some freedom. I think that the reason why all these people around me some what limit my freedom because its healthy. It's telling us the right things to do. It makes us a better person, really. Without all of these limits an average person could literally do whatever they would like and that would cause chaos. So having these boundries that may be horrible at times, are really only for the best. So yes, I find it very fair and appropriate that our rights and freedoms are limited in these ways. Except for when it's not right like not being able to express your opinion. But that's a totally different story. I do not have any changes because so far they all seem reasonable.

Annamarie O said...

One freedom that is taken away from me at school is freedom of speech. This is because at school there are certain things that could be offending and also inapropriate. Another freedom that is taken away from me in school is the right to wear what we want as long as everything is covered. I would love to wake up and go to school in pajamas but it has been taken away at school. The reason pajamas are not allowed in school is because it could be distracting to others or can be inapropriate. I don't think it is fair that pajamas are banned because they are very comfortable and its easier to make the bus when you don't have to worry about getting changed. I would suggest to allow pajamas to be worn in school as long as people are covered up and don't have too many distractions. However if this rule is abused then i think that it should be taken away from that child and should have their parents bring in another pair of clothes.

Robert M. said...

There are many freedoms I am given, but, there are many that have been taken away too. For example, I am allowed free speech according to the constitution. But, I am not allowed to say things that could hurt others’ feelings, or that are considered rude, such as Making fun of somebody's religion. This is one limit on a freedom of mine. Another freedom that can be taken away from me is the freedom to spend my time taken away because we have to attend school. Sometimes at school, we don’t have the freedom to get a drink, go to the bathroom, or eat whenever we want. These are the teachers’ rules. At home, most kids will have many freedoms taken away, such as, when they can hang out with friends, bed time, activities they do, they have, etc. The purpose for limiting our freedom is so we don't go crazy and do bad things. For example we have limited speech. If we didn't i think that everything would be crazy with wars and big arguements on religions, government, and just people in genaral. I agree with Rachel she said that adults usually limit/take away some of our freedoms for our own good, even though we often think that they are being over protective or unfair. However, every now and then adult’s limit/take away our freedoms for there own benefit. One change i would make is homework amount. I think we get way too much homework and it really limits the time we have off from school, to do other activities. Maybe that is the reason many kids are up so late, and then tired at school the next day. This is what I think about our individual freedom.

Kimberly G said...

Some rights, like not being able to do something with a friend, use the computer, stay in my room, walking around own or even (gasp!) the right to listen to music on my CD player. Some reasons for limiting someone's rights would be if I was being obstinate or to teach me that some things have to be done, like really repulsive chores. I think that it is fair to be punished, but only if the thing that I was being punished for was actually my fault, if it was a reasonable thing to be punished for, or if it was something totally uncalled for, like protesting at a funeral. For some of the limits in my freedoms that I've mentioned, I would suggest one change but that change is already in effect. I told my mother that I absolutely cannot stand it if she takes away my CD player. It entertains me, helps to wake me up in the mornings before school, and even get me out of a bad mood.

Andrew G said...

I have a lot of freedoms that are taken away like what time I can go to be what I can eat sometimes. The reason that I have to go to bed at a right time because if I were to go to bed at 12:00 I would barley has anytime to get some sleep and my parents care about me and my health. Also I might have to eat the right things because if I was to eat junk food all the time I would get fat and unhealthy and I would have a hard time trying to eat healthy things. Also I half to go to school well because it’s sort of the rule’s but I think that I would make a little changes. If I could make a couple of changes to our school it would be to have a longer D1 or some sorts of class were you could do some of your homework instead of going home and having a load of homework. These are some of the freedoms that are taken away from me.

Jake said...

The only time im robbed of my freedoms is when I either yell at my mom or start a fight with my sister. The freedoms i get taken away are usually the ones that are the most valuable to me like my x-box, cell phone, or ipod. Taking away the things that are important to me is teaching me a lesson not to do it again. I think people should spend their money as they please because its their money but they should save the amount money needed to pay the taxes for roads, police, and schools. I think it is fair and appropriate to take our freedoms away when needed. I think that because everyone should be punished if they do something wrong. Our parents our are minny government. For adults the police is their government. When they do something that is against the law they get punished.

Austin G said said...

I have a lot of freedoms that are taken away like what time I can go to be what I can eat sometimes. The reason that I have to go to bed at a right time because if I were to go to bed at 12:00 I would barley has anytime to get some sleep and my parents care about me and my health. Also I might have to eat the right things because if I was to eat junk food all the time I would get fat and unhealthy and I would have a hard time trying to eat healthy things. Also I half to go to school well because it’s sort of the rule’s but I think that I would make a little changes. If I could make a couple of changes to our school it would be to have a longer D1 or some sorts of class were you could do some of your homework instead of going home and having a load of homework. These are some of the freedoms that are taken away from me.

Clay F. said...

There are many freedoms taken away from me, or at least I know I shouldn’t do because it is looked down upon or is wrong. First there are the ones that are presented at home. Like Alisa said, when we are home, parents are in charge. The freedoms they take away include the freedom of choosing what I want to eat, the kind of friends I hang out with, and the time to go to sleep. Yet, I acknowledge and even the embrace the reasons for these limitations. All of these limits are set because they help me be able to pick the right decisions in the future, and be able to know what’s wrong, and what’s right. Without these limits, I could think that candy bars are good for you, that kids who cause trouble would make good piers, and that midnight will help me have a good start to the next day. Second, there are the ones set at school. The freedoms that are taken away include when I can go to the bathroom and get a drink, what I want to learn about, and when to go to something. With some exceptions, I am alright with these limitations, and understand the reasons for them. These are set, so that I can effectively learn and get in the most amount of knowledge as possible. Without them, I could get up at any time during class, and miss valuable info, or disturb my fellow classmates, as Alden said. Also, I could decide that I don’t need to know about proper grammar of the English language, and no prepared to write papers for work. So, in conclusion, all of these limitations are there to help us be a better person in the future, thus I approve of them completely, and I think they are totally appropriate. The parents and school board are working hard hand in hand with each other just to get us to be the best we can. They are only concerned to make us the best, which is the best thing that they could do for us. I have no changes I want to make, because I am perfectly happy with the current limitations that are set.

dylan m said...

A freedom in school that is taken away from me is that students cannot swear or say hurtful or offensive things. This policy basically denies us of “complete” freedom of speech. But, of course, the purpose for limiting this freedom is so that nobody is offended or put down due to a student’s hateful or hurtful words. If this freedom was not limited school would not be a pleasant, supportive and nurturing community. Personally, I think it is fair and just that these freedoms are limited because I would not want to be in an environment that is hateful and disrespectful. Without this freedom being limited, our community would be an intolerant environment. Students would be swearing all the time and they would be fighting because of what one said to the other, or students’ self esteem could be damaged which could cause depression and suicide attemps. I would suggest no changes, because I whole-heartedly believe that an ideal environment for learning, and being part of a community, consists of having mutual respect for one another. Therefore I totally support limiting this part of my freedom of speech in a school setting.

CChristian SS said...

In my life there are a lot of freedoms that are taken away from me. The people doing this are usually my parents. They are in control of what time I go to bed, how I spend my money, when I have to go to church, where I can go and when, and what time I get up in the morning. Also taking away freedoms are teachers. They do have the right to give homework but they are taking away my freedom to play and hang out with friends. Their purpose for these limitations are for my own good. They want me to have a good education and to be safe. These may seem unfair to me at the time and I do think they are unfair but in the future I know I will look back and thank my parents. Suggestions I would have are to limit the homework and to maybe give us a say in some things including: when we go to bed, how we spend money, and where we go and when.

Cory M. said...

One right that is taken away from me is that I am not allowed to have or play video games. In my case this is for my own good. I have to wear a helmut for a lot of activities. This is for my own good. I have had a lot of freedoms taken away from me, but I focus on the freedoms that I have. Life is not fair, but for me this stuff is appropriate because of the changes that have occured to me during my life. In my case it can't be changed unless you can come up with a time machine.

Kate M. said...

There are many freedoms that are limited or taken away from us by authorities; when we go to bed, what we buy, what we eat, what we watch, and sometimes even where we go and who we see! These freedoms are often limited or taken away from us by parents, for example, they say when we go to bed. The government, however, sets limitations for our rights and freedom by setting up the Constitution and Amendments, which we are expected to abide by. Teachers also have the right to limit our freedom by discipling us for misbehaving. Usually these freedoms are taken away or limited because of a concern of our safety or others' safety, or the officials know that by limiting some of our actions it'll help us in the long run. I think that as long as the officials have a legitimate reason for limiting or taking away our rights, it is okay. For example, parents often tell kids when to go to bed, and this is because they know it will be good for them the next day. I would not suggest any changes be made to this system; because I think we as children have rights and don't have rights for a reason, because we don't fully understand the responsibility that comes with those freedoms. As long as officials have a legitimate reason and don't use the "Because I Said So" excuse, then I think that it is a fair system.

Andrew L said...

The main freedoms that are taken away from me are taken away by my parents and teachers. My parents make rules for me so i could have a good life and not make stupid decisions. The rules they set for me are to help make me a well-rounded person. At school the faculty makes the rules, for an example we have to ask to use the bathroom and get a drink. I think that should be change because if someone is going to though up and they can't talk they should be able to leave. Also if someone has to use the bathroom they should just beable to go because you inter-upp the class and waste class time by doing so. Another thing that should be changed is how much work we are given to do at home. I think this because high school and college teachers probably won’t meet up and decide who is giving out how much homework that night. One change I do think should be made is not having big tests on the same day. Although I think quizzes for different subjects can be on the same day.

James Kish said...

There are many freedoms that taken in our lives. These are mostly taken by the government and parents. At home parents enforce what time we go to bed, our personal time and for how long, ect. Outside our homes the government enforces how fast we drive on the road, what is considered advertisement or vandalism, ect. The real reasons for having limitations on our freedoms is to keep use safe and help use to pick the right chooses in our lives to help use with our futures. I believe that it is fair and appropriate that we have limits on our freedoms because without the small limitations our country and socialites would be unruly and hectic place to live in. Personally there are no changes that I have to offer to the limitations to our freedoms and rights.

Zack C said...

Rights are always being taken from kids. Almost all by school and parents even though most are for my own good. Rights that are being taken away are what you can eat, where you can go and for how long, what grades you must have, and if you choose to still use these rights there are consequents. The right to have free time is taken away by teachers they give you so much home work that you don’t have time to hang out with friends or do other things you would rather do. I think most of the rights taken away are for good reason. Like we have to go to school and have good grades so we can have a good life and who you can hang out with and for how long is also reasonable because you need to have good influences. But I do not think our free time should be loaded up with school work. All work that needs to be done for school should be done in school. I think there should at least be a limit to home work. I also agree with Joseph that you should not have to be 16 to dive. The driving age should be 13.

Sarah S. said...

There are many freedoms that have been taken away from me. Some freedoms are at school, like when you don’t do your homework you will usually get a “give me” 5 or 10. Also if you don’t hand in your project on time then you will usually get a detention (lunch or after school). Some other freedoms that are taken away from me at school are during classroom time teachers don’t allow kids usually to go to the bathroom, get a drink, or go to the nurse. Another place that my freedoms have been taken away from me is at home. When you want to stay up late but you get tired in the morning then your parents set a bedtime for you. Another way my freedoms have been taken away is if I do something bad to my parents like get into an argument with them and they ground me and I lose some of my freedoms towards having friends over and usage of electronics. I agree with Kristine K. when she says, “Sometimes I don't think it is fair to get your freedoms taken away. For example if you talked back to your parents you are using your right to freedom of speech. But then they take away on of your freedoms and it isn't really fair.” I agree with her because when she says that we are using our right of free speech we are. We also have the right to state our opinion when we get into an argument with our parents. This is why kids should have a little more freedom in what they do.

Marcus F. said...

There are a lot of freedoms and right are taken away mostly by my parents. One freedom they take away from me is watching TV before I finish my homework. At sometimes I might not like this, but it affects my learning in school. This is because if I forget to do my homework then I will get a bad grade. Then I won’t be able to get a good job and support my family when I am older. Another freedom that my parents take away is how much junk food I eat. This is important because if you are fat your life span is much less than someone that is healthy. That is why my parents have to limit my freedoms. I think it is fair that they limit my freedoms because they are only helping me. I wouldn’t suggest any changes because I am healthy and my grades are good in school.

Logan R said...

Since I am a kid I have a lot of rights that are taken away from me, mostly by adults. The main right that is taken away is how I spend my time. This right is limited because I am forced to go to school, do my homework, and go to bed at a certain time. The purpose for limiting these rights is to keep me out of trouble and to make sure I get an education. I think it is fair to limit our rights and freedoms to a certain degree. For example, I don’t think that adults have the right to put restrictions on how we (kids) spend our time. If we want to spend our time poorly than that’s our problem. But for the kids who are responsible and spend our time usefully it’s unfair to put limits on how we spend our time. Another example of how my right to spend my time is limited is in school. Like Niko F said “All day I have to follow a schedule and if I decide to take a break from it I’ll get yelled at.” This limits my right to spend my time how I wish because if I want to take a break from doing hard work, I should be allowed to do that. One change that I would make is that I think we should get rid of SSR in D1 on Thursdays. If D1 truly is a time to do homework and such then why should we be required to read?

Sam said...

Some things I’m limited to is how often I use the computer, what time I go to bed, when and where I go and what time I get to go and come back, and how I practice the things that are my priorities before doing the things I like. Most of these freedoms that are taken away from me are done so by my parents. One example is they make me practice guitar and do my homework/study before I get the privilege of doing fun things that I like to do with my free time. This right is taken away from me because I know that if I didn’t do my homework/study or practice guitar, I would run out of time to do the things that are very important and so I wouldn’t be able to be very successful in school as well as guitar. One right/freedom that gets taken away from me by my sports coaches is how I practice for sports. Since the coaches always have set plans for how we will practice to get better as a tea, I cannot practice the things I want to practice. I understand the reasoning for taking away this freedom because I know for a fact I would not practice as well unless I’m being instructed and watched by an expert at the game. So if I were to practice my own way I know I wouldn’t be able to do as well in the games that follow. I do think it’s fair and appropriate that these rights and freedoms are limited in these ways because without them, like Kate M said, that us as children have rights and don’t have rights to do something for a reason because we don’t fully understand the responsibilities that comes with having those freedoms. It’s the government’s job to limit the rights and duties of the people so if the government (being parents, teachers, authorities, coaches, etc…) has a good explanation or reason for limiting our rights, then in my opinion, it’s fair and appropriate. I would not suggest any changes to the system.

Katie K said...

As I an American I have many rights but most of my freedoms are restricted and limited under the control of authority such as teachers and parents. In school we must follow many rules such as when to go to lunch, when to come to class, what to do and say in class, and, when we can go to the bathroom. At home we are told by our parents when to go to bed, when and what to eat, when we do our homework, when to go to school, when to come home, and what to do in our free time. As we grow older we are given more responsibilities and freedoms, which come attached with more limits placed and us by our parents and authorities. For example, when we grow older we will get the responsibility of being able to drive a car. This will allow you to go where you please but your parents might place limits on who you are to hang out with or when you hang out with them. I think that the reasons schools place limits on what we do in the school is for the safety of others and to promote a healthy and strong learning environment for all students. At home parents place limits on our freedoms because they care for our well being and want to make sure we can achieve everything to the best of our abilities. Even though we may not agree with our parents’ and teachers’ rules, we still have to follow them. I think it is fair to have our rights and freedoms limited in order to make sure we are safe but sometimes our rights and freedoms are limited to an extent that limits our independence. I agree with Rachel in that one thing that should be changed is a reduction in the amount of homework that is placed on us. A lot of homework causes many students to be stressed and not want to join any extra curricular activities for fear they may fall behind in schoolwork. One way to fix this problem is for the teachers to meet and plan out a fair balance of homework for the week in each class. Lastly I believe that a student should be able to go to the bathroom without having to ask or should be able to have more free time during the school day as long as they show up to classes. In summary, while restrictions can keep us safe and help guide us in to making the right decisions, limiting those restrictions can also help us to become more independent and confident.

Michael G said...

I believe many rights are taken away from children,one example of this occurs for sports activities. When the ref makes a bad call ,you won't be able to express your freedom of speech. We have the right to state our opinion ,but if you go too far with your rights you will be flagged or suspended for the next game. Another example where our right of freedom of speech is taken away in school is during a disagreement. If we state our opinion in a negotiation and the teacher does not agree with your point of view, you could receive a detention if you say something you don't mean. Another right that could be taken away is time to have your lunch if you do not turn in a project on time.There are examples of losing yur rights and freedoms at home as well as in school. If you question your parent's judgment, you could lose every right you are entitled to. Questioning one of your coaches' decisions, is a sure way for you to lose playing time as well as assure you of a lot of sprints at your next practice. At the end of the day,kids are at the mercy of most adults and their rules, if you don't follow them you may lose all of your rights.

Michael G said...

I believe many rights are taken away from children,one example of this occurs for sports activities. When the ref makes a bad call ,you won't be able to express your freedom of speech. We have the right to state our opinion ,but if you go too far with your rights you will be flagged or suspended for the next game. Another example where our right of freedom of speech is taken away in school is during a disagreement. If we state our opinion in a negotiation and the teacher does not agree with your point of view, you could receive a detention if you say something you don't mean. Another right that could be taken away is time to have your lunch if you do not turn in a project on time.There are examples of losing yur rights and freedoms at home as well as in school. If you question your parent's judgment, you could lose every right you are entitled to. Questioning one of your coaches' decisions, is a sure way for you to lose playing time as well as assure you of a lot of sprints at your next practice. At the end of the day,kids are at the mercy of most adults and their rules, if you don't follow them you may lose all of your rights.

Michael G said...

I believe many rights are taken away from children,one example of this occurs for sports activities. When the ref makes a bad call ,you won't be able to express your freedom of speech. We have the right to state our opinion ,but if you go too far with your rights you will be flagged or suspended for the next game. Another example where our right of freedom of speech is taken away in school is during a disagreement. If we state our opinion in a negotiation and the teacher does not agree with your point of view, you could receive a detention if you say something you don't mean. Another right that could be taken away is time to have your lunch if you do not turn in a project on time.There are examples of losing yur rights and freedoms at home as well as in school. If you question your parent's judgment, you could lose every right you are entitled to. Questioning one of your coaches' decisions, is a sure way for you to lose playing time as well as assure you of a lot of sprints at your next practice. At the end of the day,kids are at the mercy of most adults and their rules, if you don't follow them you may lose all of your rights.

Skylar S said...

My parents are usually the ones who are taking away my freedoms away. This is usually because they think they know what is right for me and don’t want me making bad decisions in the future. If my parents aren’t taking my freedoms away, then teachers are. When I don’t do my homework, I get grounded. This teaches me to do my homework or there will be consequences. The people responsible for this punishment are my parents. Although, if I don’t do my homework the same time, then I get a lunch detention or an after school detention from my teachers. My parents also control who I can hang out with and when I get to see them. For example, if I want to go to my friends’ house, I have to beg my parents to let me go. If they say no, then I am denied my right to assemble peacefully. Like Molly said, we are also given a bedtime and a curfew. I may not agree with these restrictions, but I am saying that they seem reasonable enough to put me on the right track for the future.

Casey W. said...

A freedom that is taken away from me is the freedom of speech. The reason for limiting this right is because some students bully people around and could lead to bad results like the Rutgers case and the columbine shooting. Another one of my rights that is limited is the freedom to stay up. The reason for this is so I get a good sleep so I am not tired in class. One of the most important rights that I have is the right to play a sport. If there was a reason to limit this right it would probably be to get rid of players that disobey the coach’s rules. One of the rules is that the coach has is you must have to have good grades to play. All and all I think it’s fair that it is fair and appropriate that my rights are limited. The only thing I’d change is that when I get older I’d like to have more freedom in my rights.

Olivia O. said...

There are many freedoms that are taken away from me. As Rachel C. said, adults are the people who take most of these freedoms away. At home, my parents take away most of my freedoms, including my freedom to go on the computer when I want, watch TV when I want, go to bed when I want and say what I want, whenever I want(my freedom to free speech). My parents also take away freedom to spend my time however I want. I am forced to go to school, and if I don’t follow this command I am punished. At school, teachers limit my freedom. Some freedoms that are taken away from me are going to the bathroom during school, getting a drinks, going to the nurse, and even what I do or say in the hallways. If I do not follow what the teacher says, I am punished as well. I agree with Emma V. when she said, adults usually limit/take away some of our freedoms for our own good, even though we often think that they are being overprotective or unfair. For instance, if a parent says that you may not go on the computer until you finish your homework, they are not saying that to punish you, they are saying it to help you. That parent probably knows that you will not finish your homework if you are distracted by your computer. I think it's fair that some of our rights are limited in these ways. For example, if the right to spend your time how you want was not limited and you were not forced to go to school, few kids would get a good education. Even though sometimes it is fair that our freedoms are limited, I think that freedoms should only be limited or taken away if proven to be a problem to our well being. One change that I suggest, is that students and children should get to choose how they spend their outside of school. I agree that it is important to learn, but I think that if parents are forcing students to do certain sports/arts, kids will never get the chance to try to new things and find out what they're good at.

MarisaP♥ said...

There are alot of freedoms that are taken away from me. For example, I do not always have freedom of speech at home or at school - I can't talk back to my parents or swear and I can't talk back to teachers or talk disruptivly in class. I don't always have the use of my personal property. I can't use my laptop whenever I want and I can't listen to my ipod during class. As most of the other kids have said, these limitations on my freedom are mostly because our parents and teachers want to keep us educated, safe and disciplined. For the most part I think this is fair and appropriate because if there were no limitations everything would be chaotic. Like in Mr. Crofts class no one would be paying attention because they would be on facebook, listening to music, jumping around, etc!! For the most part I don't think there should be any changes. Maybe lighten up on Freedom of speech, especially at home!

Jessics G-S. said...

There are many freedoms that have been taken away from me. I do not have the freedom to choose whether or not to go to school, or to go where I want when I want. There are also smaller limitations. For instance, I cannot watch TV or use the computer after dinner until my homework is done, and me parents do not tolerate any dirty clothes, dishes, or trash in my room for excessive amounts of time. The reasons for limiting these freedoms are actually good. I am forced to go to school because without an education I will not be able to find a suitable job and support myself or a family in the future. I am not allowed to come and go as I please because in order to keep me safe my parents need to know where I am at all times. Also, in order to get good grades and succeed in school, I must do my homework, and there is no better stimulation then the hope of being able to watch TV or go one Facebook. And although it may be my personal space, it is still considerate of my parents to want me to have a clean, healthy living space, even if a times it becomes tedious. I think the restrictions on my freedoms are more or less fair. Sometimes I may want to change things, but in the end I think that I will benefit from them.

LeanneM said...

A freedom that has been taken from me is the right to go to bed late at night on some weekdays. This is because I need to rest for school. Also if I go to be to late I don't have time to read, or i'm to tired to. Yes I do think it is appropriate because without limiting rights, there would be no rules. Also without limiting rights kids would do anything they want. I wouldn't make any changes to anything.

Lauren O. said...

For me, there are several freedoms taken away for me. As Rachel and Emma said, most of the freedoms that are taken away are from adults. But they mostly want to do it for your own good. Anyways, most of my freedoms are taken away in public places such as school, and sometimes stores. For example, in school, I can’t just wear pajamas if I wanted to, (unless it’s pajama day of course.) Also I can’t do things at school that I can do at home like, eat food, (in the exception of lunch,) walk around aimlessly, sleep, or even watch T.V. These freedoms are obviously taken away at school because school is solely for learning purposes. I don’t think any school would allow those freedoms unless under an sort of exceptions or circumstances. Also in some type of public place such as a store, some freedoms are allowed, but the one’s that are taken away from me are one’s that I can obviously do at home. For example, in a store, I can’t really loiter unless it is a rule or law that says so. Also I can’t usually bring outside food in to any type of store, which is usually known as common sense not to, but the store usually notifies you otherwise. I think these are limited in a fair way, because adults such as teachers, or maybe even store managers, want to run a safe, flowing place where everything can function and is effective. Honestly, I would probably suggest for the schools to allow students to maybe try something in the morning of afternoon where students can get a break from school, and let them just relax, and hang out for a bit.

Olivia S said...

As a child there are many freedoms taken away from me. For example I have to go to school, and in school even more freedoms are taken away. At school there are only certain times u can eat, go to the bathroom, talk and even get water. And in school we can only say things that are considered appropriate school material. Other freedoms that are limited by being a child is your bedtime, what recreational activities you can do, and even what you can eat. There are many reasons these freedoms are limited. For example at school they can’t have students leaving every minute to go to the bathroom or get a drink. If that happened then no one would have a good education ruining society. Parents also limit freedoms to keep you healthy so u don’t eat too much junk or eat late. I think these limits are fare because they keep good order and are for the best and if they were not in place there would b no order and people would be less safe and would be uneducated and unhealthy.

Sebastian T. said...

There are quite a few freedoms that are taken away from those who are under set ages. For example, those who are under sixteen are prohibited to drive. The reason for this limit is to prevent younger citizens from death by car crashes, cars are made to fit a mature body which can reach all of the necessary controls, and necessary lessons on how to drive are retained better by a more mature mind. I believe that this limit is reasonable and appropriate because of the dangers it prevents. Another example of a freedom we, as the youth of the U.S., have that is limited is the right to spend our time as we wish. This limitation is supported by the theory that a better society will be created if the youth are educated. This seems reasonable enough because of the cause that it is established upon is for the benefit of all and has shown its results in everyday life. I agree with Emma V. that adults play a large part in controlling, defining, and limiting our rights and freedoms, usually in the form of a sovereignty. I also agree that most mature figures "care and only want the best" for the one whose rights they are manipulating. I believe that it is reasonable and fair for guardians to set curfews and "bedtimes" when the child is still young. This is because these rights have health and safety risks. I also believe that it is fair for a parent to suggest or even force a child to do certain extra activities, but only if a danger to social or mental health is apparent and can be solved by the exercise thereof. I also believe that a change should be made that parents can force a child to do an extra activity, but the child has the right to quit if the extra activity shows no growth or gain.

I, personally, am subject to the limitation of my right to use the television whenever I wish. This is because my brother does his work and all his computer-related activities in the same room. Also, I must accomplish other activities, such as homework and music practice, and thus am not allowed to spend all of my time after school using the television. Another right that I have that is limited is my freedom to speak or act as I please in my house. I believe this limit is fair because it often can quell the start of conflicts, and prevents disrespect and other disturbances to the peace of the house. I think that many limits to the rights and freedoms of adolescent and younger age groups are valid and hold decent reasons behind their logic, and that for some decisions, though, the right should only be limited or changed after the consulting and gaining the consent or a compromise of the one that specific restraint, limit, or change is being applied to.

Chelsea O said...

There are many freedoms that have been taken away from me. For example, the freedom to go to bed on school nights whenever I want. The freedom of saying whatever I want, also known as my freedom of speech. I think that most of my rights are taken away at home and at school. I think they're taken away because you can't do things like watch T.V, sleep during class, walk around the school when you're supposed to be in class, wearing pajamas, or even eat during your classes. These rights are taken away for obvious reasons. You must stay on task when you're at school, there are exceptions to those though, like you can eat at lunch, and you can wear pajamas on pajama day. I think these rules are fair, obviously if these rules weren't there the school would be a mess. The students would be off task, think it's okay to not show up to class, or even sleep during class. I don't think the students would learn a lot if it weren't for these simple rules. Although I would like for some changes to be made to the rules like wearing pajamas to school. I think it would be nice for students to be comfortable during the school day. Also, I think there should be an exception for eating during class. I think that as long as drinks are reseal-able and the food is not messy, I believe that eating during class wouldn't be such a bad distraction, I think it would help students stay focused more.

RayC said...

My rights are limeted in many ways, mostly by how I use my time, and it's usualy parents or adults who limit them. My parents say I have to do my homework before I do anything else, I Have to bike in a certain spot, I have to go to bed early on school nights, I can only go to my friend's house for a limeted time, I have to study for tests etc. My rights are limeted at school too, like I have to dress apropriately, I can't eat during class, I can't tip my chair etc. I know that the people responsible for us limit our rights because they violate other rights, spesificly the right to learn, but I still think it's unfare and that our rights should be less limeted.

Dallas M said...

As Emma said, teens like us have many rights taken away. Our parents are really the ones who call the shots. They decide when we do after school, when we eat, when we go to sleep, when we wake up, and numerous other decisions. Teens are very much deprived of their rights. I understand that they only want what’s best for me and make these decisions based on what they believe is right to keep me healthy and safe, but I believe teens should get more of a say. I think that in some cases though, it only feels like a dictatorship and that parents are being to overly protective. I think that parents should realize they are being slightly unfair and let their children decide more for themselves based on what they think is right.

Brian M. said...

The freedoms taken away from me are computer privileges with the exception of homework. This is only if I get a D on a test or report card. I think it is completely fair. I shouldn’t be getting lower than a B, so I think it is okay. If I am not doing sufficient work, my rights and freedoms should be taken away. I wouldn’t change that. One right that is taken away from me that I would change is my speech. There is no purpose for limiting it. Sometimes I don’t even say anything bad and it is limited. It is not fair to limit my speech unless I am legitimately saying something bad or wrong. So I don’t think it should be taken away unless I am cursing or offending anybody.

RayC said...

My rights are limited in many ways, mostly by how I use my time, and it's usually parents or adults who limit them. My parents say I have to do my homework before I do anything else, I Have to bike in a certain spot, I have to go to bed early on school nights, I can only go to my friend's house for a limited time, I have to study for tests etc. My rights are limited at school too, like I have to dress appropriately, I can't eat during class, I can't tip my chair etc. I know that the people responsible for us limit our rights because they violate other rights, specifically the right to learn, but I still think it's unfair and that our rights should be less limited.

Jenna R said...

As a child my rights are limited in plenty of ways. For example:
-I have to do my homework before I eat dinner.
-I have to have a clean room(meaning I have to clean it frequently).
-I have to do my chores right when they're given to me.
-I have the right to go to bed anytime I would like but I choose to go to bed early(because if I don't than it beefits me(im even more tired than should have been).
etc.
Anyway I believe that the ones who are in charge of us do have the right to limit our rights and I believe they do what they think is right for us. To keep us safe and to keep us aware that we do have limits and if we pass those limits then there will be consequences. I think that what the limits are right now are just fine they way they are and should not be changed.

Julie A said...

The freedoms that are taken away from me is losing my video game privileges for not doing my HW. I think it is fair because if children don't do what they're suppose to do they should get a privilege taken away for a good reason. Another freedom that is taken away from me is loosing my Justin Bieber posters. I loose this privilege if i fight with my siblings. I think this is fair because if I fight with my siblings I could either hurt them physically or hurt their feelings. I wouldn't change any part of these freedoms because they keep me from getting in trouble.