Monday, April 5, 2010

Technology

Last week Apple introduced the world to the IPad and many people feel it will change everything - school, business, entertainment, communication, etc., etc., etc. Below are three quotes - one from Steve Jobs of Apple, Bill Gates of Microsoft, and Henry David Thoreau a writer and philosopher. Read the quotes and explain what you think they mean.
Quote # 1 - Steve Jobs: " You can't ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."
Quote # 2 - Bill Gates: " People always fear changes. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn't they? People feared coal, they feared gas-powered engines... There will always be ignorance, and ignorance leads to fear...."
Quote # 3: Henry David Thoreau: " Men have become the tools of their tools."

65 comments:

Dana W. said...

Okay, the first quote by Steve Jobs is completely true. We could go to the government and demand a new technology, a new law, anything. By the time the thing or law is actually created, the people have moved on with their lives. It almost gets to the point where we should stop making new devices altogether! The manufacturers would have to be either physic or REALLY good at knowing the mood swings of today’s population!

The seconds quote is kind of like a quote that says that you should try new things and not be a wimp. Exactly as Bill Gates said, people were afraid of electricity, but today, nearly everyone uses it! (Sorry, no percentage.) Also, when everyone was afraid of millions of technological devices, they ended up being a huge benefit. I feel that the IPad will be the same way… but that doesn’t mean that I don’t think it’s pointless. Trust me. I do.

“Men have become the tools of their tools.” I started LAUGHING when I read this quote, and my mom had to ask what was so funny! It is SO TRUE, and I can come up with a million examples! IPHONES. What is with people naming their IPhones? “Oh, hi, this is my IPhone, Joe!” This is a perfect example, just like the IPad. The IPad will end up the exact same way, and people will start creating cute little vests for them that match the human outfits… just like dogs. It has also come down to the fact that Americans’ worlds revolve around their IPhones. It’s ridiculous. Point made.

P.S. You can now tell what phone I am NOT getting anytime soon. AND… I finally got the first comment!! =)

Jordan Walker said...

I think that the Ipad could possibly change some things but it doesn't seem like it's going to be a big hit with kids yet. for the most part it seems like a business item. For the most part I agree with Steve Jobs quote because for the past decade technology has moved amazingly fast. Most people can't even really catch up with the new tech. I didn't really understand Bill Gates quote because I don't see how an Ipad could lead to fear. The Ipad is something new but I think that in this day and age people aren't really scared of advances in technology as much as they used to be. I think when they create a real mindblower people might be skeptical or unnerved but fear is a whole nother topic. Bill Gates take a breather. Henry Dad Thoreau's I think was kinda of true because some people are sort of slaves to their phones or their computers. Some machines or "tools" really control peoples lives so this guy made a good point. I think that some advances in technology are good but some aren't because even though they seem like they're meant to make people's lives easier they really don't. Some people really shade themselves from want's around them with technology. I think that they should open their eyes. I don't think the Ipad is going to take over the lives of people like the Iphone did but it could possibly make a huge difference to business.

Aaron.L said...

I agree with Jordan where he said that the ipad could change a lot of things.

I Think that the first quote by Steve Jobs is very false. people wanted a divice like the iphone where you could go on the internet and check email and do your work fromk your phoen and apple made it intime and people still wanted it. People could still use the new device in your life.

the second quote by Bill gates is very true. People need to get over this thing of being scared of new things. When People actually man up and try the new devices then they love them and sometimes can become addicted to them and want to use them all the time.

The third quote by Henry David Thoreau is very true: People make the new devices so we are the tools to create the new electronic tools.

Austyn. F said...

I think the first quote by Steve Jobs means that you can't take anything fast. It's best you take things slow and well because you want to see the best result. I think the second quote by Bill Gates means if you ignore something you'll never precede in life because its best if you try something then make your decision. I think the third quote by Henry Thoreau means that all men of the world are no creating the world as time goes by.

alex k said...

I agree with what Jordan said. because the I donte think the ipad will be a huge hit. only as a office item. The reason why is its not somthing you can just bring to school or slip in your pocket. loike the itouch. My opinion is i dont think it is that great. Witch is why I agree with steve Jobs, Because wonce everybody gets it they will get bored of it then want somthing new.

NICK O. :-] said...

First of all I think the ipad is actually pretty cool only because the screen is huge. but this is my opinion so please dont criticize. but other than that its a waste of time because it has the same features as the iphone just ten times bigger and alot higher in price its a waste of money.The first quote makes sense because thats true somebody may get the iphone but see the ipad and want that instead! The second quote is very confusing to me so I do not understand how to answer it. The last quote made me laugh but it makes sense some people become so atached to their cell phones, computers ect... So the last one makes perfect sense. Some people are closer to their electronics than their own family which is pretty low. I dont even have an ipod or a cell phone so i have no idea how important theirs is to them but all i know is that it gets to the point to ubsession which can tale away of alot of family time. In my opinion the ipad is a joke.

Sean Greene said...

I do belive that are technogly is changeing very fast so it is hard to give customers what they want at that time. So apple is trying to think ahead of everyone and is doing a good job. Also i agree that people can fear new technogly but edventally they get to notice how its very important.Lastly men do have to master there tools becuase if you dont master it then they cant use it to its full advatage.

AJ said...

I think the first quote " You can't ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new." means that once you get something they want you will get bored of it and want something else.

The secoond quote is about how ignorance is bad
The third quote is about how men are great with their tools.

Bryar G said...

I agree with Sean. I think Apple is just trying to stay ahead of the game. There is always something bigger and better that comes along. But I think the ipad will do well with businesses but not so much with kids. The first qoute says just that. The second qoute by Bill Gates is true people do fear change, but I don't agree with how he says people are ignorant. The third quote by Henry David Thoreau is true, people do become the tools of their tools because when something new is introduced people have to find at least one things wrong with it and tell the company how they want it to be perfect and have no flaws, so basically they are creating it themselves.

Kayley B. said...

I think the first quote means that people always want the newest thing. When they get it, there will be something better that they will want more. I think that will happen with the IPad, people will think it is cool until Apple comes up with something else. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new. Like when people were afraid of gas powered engines. I agreed with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. A lot of people spend so much time on their computers. It is like machines are controling you, and you waste a lot of your life on the computer.

Sam I said...

I think that the first quote from Steve Jobs means that just because people say that they want this doesn’t mean that they will want it for ever and that they will have different desires. I think that the second quote from Bill Gates means that people are afraid of technology and history shows that people have always been afraid of new inventions. But over time people start to appreciate the technology that we have in today’s world. I think that the third quote from Nenry David Thoreau mean that people have become slaves to technology.

Quinn O said...

I think the first quote by Steve Jobs is completely true. People will always be hungry for new things and even when they get them they will never be satisfied that this is enough, that this is the very best. Everyone wants the new device the top notch item so when one invention comes out people just want something better.
I think that what Bill Gates means by his quote is that sometimes in life you have to try new things and not worry about the result of your choice. In order to create something special and fabulous you have to be willing to give sacrifices and not worry that something doesn't work the first time. Also people are scared that these technological devices are going to somehow harm our world; funny enough they do the exact opposite. They usually help our communities around our world. For example maybe you need something to tell you if you're facing in the direction of Mecca or not that way you can be facing the right way when u pray. An app on the iphone for example would allow you to do that.
Men and women all over the world are starting to rely on technology to get through and accomplish tasks in their everyday life more efficiently. The only down side of this technology is that it starts to pull you away from reality. I don't think that the IPad will have such a big effect on people like the iphone did but I agree with Jordan it might in the world of business.

Zach N said...

I believe that the ipad will not be a big hit because who wants a big flat laptop? I mean PC, Microsoft and dell made a flat touch screen laptop too and really those where not huge hits. Also I think that some people are afraid of change as well, some people really just want technology to stay the same, and the ipad sort of is too far ahead for its time in my point of view; don’t get me wrong I like change in new technology, I really love new laptops and such, but some people just plain and simply do not want any change at all!
I think that the first quote by Steve jobs means that by the time the company’s open and release new products, the people that want to buy new items want new ones!
I think the second quote by bill gates was trying to explain that there are always some people that fear new items and then there are people that love new change.
I think that the third quote by Henry David Thoreau means that some people become obsessed with their items and get way too involved in there items and they become “tools of their tools”.

Bria N ♥♥ said...

I agree with the first quote, because; what Jobs is trying to say is that everytime something new comes out, people will buy it and it'll be great for a few weeks, then they'll want something better. i think that Apple was trying to think ahead with the iPad for this reason.
The second quote is saying that people can't be afraid of new inventions, because if we are afraid that things are never going to succeed, and never put them out, how will we know they won't succeed if we do not try?
The third quote says that the inventors are making technology smarter than humans, and pretty soon, electronics might start to replace humans in careers, activities, etc.

Cameron C-I said...

Personally I disagree with Steve Jobbs because in order to run a succesful business you need to have your consumers reasonable input. Who do you make your money off of? Consumers of course. I do agree with Bill Gates because people won't do anything if they fear it. For example someone might say and believe it or not some people do say "The sky might fall so I won't go outside" now the sky hasn't fallen yet and hasn't for the past 3. something billion years the planet Earth has been in exsitence. Henry's quote isn't completely true, but has some truth to it.

Eric M D ??? said...

It is not a good idea to make what the people want!(all though the first #1 one is ood)the i pad is great but people think that they can do better, so if Apple creates more devices (whether they are better or not) it will be wasted people will mack more and they'll want new thing making all the shipment of stuff a waste

Eric M D ??? said...

It is not a good idea to make what the people want!(all though the first #1 one is ood)the i pad is great but people think that they can do better, so if Apple creates more devices (whether they are better or not) it will be wasted people will mack more and they'll want new thing making all the shipment of stuff a waste

Eric M D ??? said...

It is not a good idea to make what the people want!(all though the first #1 one is ood)the i pad is great but people think that they can do better, so if Apple creates more devices (whether they are better or not) it will be wasted people will mack more and they'll want new thing making all the shipment of stuff a waste

Summer M. said...

I think that the first quote means that every year several new electronics come out, all are a tiny bit better or different then the last. Eventually we are going to have too many electronics and the world will be overwhelmed. I personally agree with this statement because you can't please everybody. I think that the second quotes by Bill Gates is saying that you shouldn't be afraid of change, no matter what it is. I think he's saying most of the time change is good and everybody needs it to keep moving forward in life. I do agree with this quote even though change can be scary sometimes. I totally agree with the third quote by Henry David Thoreau because, we are getting too advanced and we are losing so many values in life! Times have changed so much from even my parents childhood, and when they tell me stories I think,"I wish it was like that now." The electronics we have now are getting out of hand and we need to stop using the tools we have created and go for more traditional objects.

Hannah R. said...

I think the first quote means that when these people make these Ipod's, Ipad's, etc; that they're just taking a chance when they put these out. They're saying that people won't always like what they put out, but they also might like it. Steve Jobs is right when he says "By the time you get it built, they'll want something new." He's right because people change things all the time. For example, their internet, jobs, phones, etc. Bill Gates quote doesn't really make sense, because what he says doesn't really relate to what the topic is about. I don't see anything to be afraid of for the Ipad. I see at as an advantage for the world to take on; and we should! Henry David Thoreau's quote means that men get into their work so much that they become one with their tools. It doesn't really have to do with the Ipad either, but still makes sense.

DavidG said...

what i think that they are trying to say is. that tecnology is getting biger. and that peoplr may be scared. and that we rely on too much tecnology.

William Jeffrey Fredericks said...

I'd have to agree with the first quote by Steve. When something new comes out everyone wants it. When they have it they end up wanting something new after a couple weeks or so. I think the second quote by Bill Gates is a bit overdoing it though. True, people were afraid of change back then but nowadays technology is advancing quite a bit faster. Not only that but the advancements aren't much different from the original. Most advancements are just updated versions such as the ipod nano which is only really different because it has a built in video camera. I doubt the ipad will get anyone really scared beause its pretty much just an iphone or ipad touch combined with a laptop: a giant iphone. I also partially agree with Henry. People are practically treating their iphones like a best friend, maybe even better than the real thing. I've seen quite a few people who have even named them, as if it was their pet: a part of the family. Most people who own such a device probaly can't be caught without it, whether it's at school, a meeting, or even in a public bathroom.

p.s. I included my middle name :),

Drew H said...

The first quote by Steve Jobs is true. When we walk into a store and see something we really want, by the time we get the money to buy it we something new that we want and by that instead. It happens with me al the time. The government should slow down with manufacturing new products because people never really know what they want.
The second quote by Bill Gates is somewhat true. I think this because he means that people are afraid to try new things. I think this is true for some people because people are afraid to put there selves out there and make the most of something. But some people like to put there selves out there and aren't afraid what the outcome is. So i think what Bill Gates said is kind of true but not all true.
Men and women all over the United States are starting to use more technology to get things done. I don't think the ipad will have the affect the iphone did but i think it will help for school and business. So I think what Henry David Thoreau is not true because people use technology for helpful reasons.

Kailee Munson said...

I think what Steve Jobs is trying to say is that someone proposes a new idea, but then it takes them so long to plan it out and make it, that they want another thing and the item that they planned out is useless. Honestly, I think some people are just weird. They always change their mind on things they want. Especially little kids. You get them one thing, then they want another thing. Sometimes older people can be like that and it gets frustrating.
I think what Bill Gates is trying to say is that changes aren't always necessarily good. New things can scare people, because they don't know how it's going to turn out. Also he is saying that things that are ignored and are going to be ignored lead to fear with the things that are being invented.
I believe that Henry David Thoreau was trying to say is that men have their own tools that they use to, of course, fix things. They need to move the tool to fix something, so they are like a tool after they use one.
I personally think I enjoy Steve Jobs quote the most because he is right, sometimes people move on to new things and aren't even interested in the thing that had just come out. Some people can be like that.
P.S. Sorry about writing so much! :P

Lariisa Walsh said...

I think the first comment by Steve Jobs means that if try to ask around and see what people want then by the time your done making it, it will already be out of date. I think this man is trying to say that nowadays technology is getting better each day and new inventions are coming out. A good example of this when Apple was coming out with their ipods they continuesly updated to the newest thing. When people bought one ipod, a couple months later Apple would come out with a brand new one. In qoute 2, I think Bill Gates means that no matter what changes are coming in the future, people will be afraid of them because its something new. Also, humans have a tendency to be afraid of trying something new. I dont really understand this quote though. Does he mean that people are afraid of trying new technology such as the ipad? Finally, I agree with Henry David Thoreau because technology has gotten out of hand. Technology has truly put an impact on this world. In a way it is bad because nowadays kids are alot more lasier and usually just sit around on the computer or other device.we are getting too advanced which can get fallacious. In conclusion, I dont think i will buy an ipad because they look like they can easily brake and i rather stick to something smaller like my ipod which can do most of the things an ipad does.

Nathan O. said...

I think that the first quote from Steve Jobs means that you shouldn't keep bending to other people's needs and that you should make your own path that other people will follow. It will be an even bigger success. I think this is why Apple is doing so well right now. I think that the second quote means that whatever you do, people will always be skeptical or afraid when it first comes out, but they will eventually warm up to it. This applies to anything in the world. I think that the third quote means that we have become so involved in our gadgets (phones, iPods, TV, computers, etc.) that we are becoming slaves to our own inventions. I think that all of these quotes are very true. Hopefully someday we won't be too wrapped up in our electronics.

chase D said...

I think Steve Jobs means that you always have to keep moving forward. I think Bill Gates means that the human race will always fear new things. I think Thoreau quote means that man has become the engine or brain of technology. I think Steve Jobs quote is true. I agree with Jobs. I believe that the ipad won’t be one of Apples best seller. I also believe Apple could do better. This is what I thought of the quotes.

Katie S. said...

First of all, I don't think the iPad will become very poplar. I think the first quote is very true. We're always wanting something new. These days, society wants more and more and they want it now. Lately we've been very impatient. The second quote is not a thought. It's a truth. People fear what they don't know. If the iPad gets to big, though, will we fear it? I don't think we will, because it already is something familiar. We know that Apple makes things like this iPad, and thus we have no need to fear it. Quote number three is one I hope will never come true, but seems to already be working it's way to the stats of 'fact.' Certainly when it was said it was just a prediction, though.

Kyle C said...

i dont think that the IPad will become very popular because it is just an oversized ipod touch. and the first quote is correct because people are always wanting something new.

DAKOTA W said...

I dont understand what the quotes mean. Thay make no sense to me.but i dont think the ipad will do good. it is just a bigger iphone.

Dylan F said...

First I would like to say that I strongly disagree with some of the blogposts that have been posted already. They say that the ipad "wont be a big hit." If you even looked at the date from analysts from engadget or cnn 600,000-700,000 iPads were sold on the first day while the number of 1st generation iPhones sold were approximately 270,000. This obviously tells you how popular the iPad is. I myself have one preordered. Okay I just wanted to say that so now back to the blogpost!
I couldn't agree more with Steve Jobs for the first quote. People influenced by today's technology always want the best thing available. When the iPad was released people were upset that there wasn't a camera built in to the device. This obviously tells you how people want something new by the time a product is developed.
The second quote is quite interesting to me. It's funny how he says people feared electricity when it was invented because now everyone who is up to date with today's technology aren't really afraid at all. I don't want to offend anyone but you always see older people more afraid of technology. I believe this because 85% of 18-29 year olds reported being confident about solving their device problem, while only about a third of them said they were discouraged or confused. Meanwhile, over half (52%) of adults age 30 and older reported being discouraged, 44% said they were confused, and about two out of three (67%) said they were confident. Adults age 30-49 were somewhat less likely than older adults to be confused, as just 39% said they were. I feel that the Apple iPad will be more popular with the younger generation than the older generations.
The third quote I don't entirely understand but I still understand some. I think its that people have become more attached to there computers, devices, etc. because they use them so much and there so incredibly helpful. So I sort of think its like people are becoming a bit like "slaves" to technology.

boomerang80 said...

I think that technolog is getting a little too advanced, a little too quickley. like when you use the internet browser google chrome it suggests pages to you based on how much you go to that page, so if i search google and then later i type in g-o-o google will be suggested because i went there once before. But if i type in goo.com, and search that twice when i only searched google once goo.com will be suggested when i type in g-o. This is a little scary to me and it makes me feel like the computer is reading my mind. I also beleive that soon the computer will be reading your mind, and after that the computer may develop its own mind and emotions, after that they can pretty much do whatever they want and may even attack the humans. It would be Terminator in real life. The quote from Bill Gates is right in a sense but he really doesn't sound like a person who creates computers but a king, the way he speaks makes him seem like he's above us... that sort of shocked me. Also he's talking about ignorance leading to fear and the machines he is creating are what is causing this fear in people. im a little suprised nobody has created a theory of Bill Gates taking over the world yet, It would be pretty funny if he was our king though.
NUFF SALAMANDER

Shaelyn R said...

I definately agree with the first comment. It is so true. I think it means what it says. You can ask people what they want and so they will tell you. Then when you finaly create what they asked for, they want something else. I also like the second quote because it is true too. People are always ignorant of change because they don't know what will happen. Then after however long it takes, they will end up liking it because they will be informed about it and they know it will be ok. I find the third quote kind of funny. I think it means that people have become so revolved around their new cell phones or what ever. So, if you take it away, they won't be able to function. The cell phone also in a way controls the people which is why the people are now the tools of their tools.

Mackenzie Dowling said...

I think that the first quote from Steve Jobs is true.I think it means that everytime someone gets something new and think it cool, they want something else cooler then that. I think the second quote from Bill Gates is also true because when there is something new everyone is afriad of what is going to happen. When everyone ends up saying that they like it they want to get it too. I also agree with Henry David Thoreau because everyone gets so involved with their new electronics that they dont pay attention to anything else in life. It is only them and their toy.

Melissa.S said...

I agree with Steve Jobs quote.I think it means that we are moving too fast and that companies cannot catch up to the peoples demands. If we want one thing and the next year it comes out, we will have already moved on to the next thing.
I think that Bill Gates' quote means that every new thing that has came out over the years has been for the better even though people were afraid of them. He also was saying that when we dont exactly know what something is or exactly how its going to work out, people tend to be afraid of them. Like the example he gave, people were afraid of electricity because they didnt know anything about it or how it would work. But look at us now, we use electrity for everything. I think that the last quote by Henry David Thoreau means that Men, meaning people in this society, have depended on technology so much, that we aren't really like human beings anymore. I dont exactly agree with that, but I have to admit that in this society, technology plays a huge role.

Mike L said...

Steve Jobs’s quote is speaking the absolute truth. A part of his quote says, “You can't ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.” He is right because take for example, the movie “Jingle All the Way.” In the movie, a kid wants this special action figure for Christmas. His dad goes crazy trying to get it for the entire movie. It is the hot item that every kid wants. When he finally gets it, the kid doesn’t want it anymore. I think that happens a lot. Bill Gates is always right on the money, especially when he says, “People always fear changes. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn't they? People feared coal; they feared gas-powered engines... There will always be ignorance, and ignorance leads to fear....” He is right because a lot of people are afraid that the technology is changing the world and it is not for the better. I think some people feel overwhelmed with all the new technology. I think people should move on and enjoy what they have now. I am not exactly sure what Henry is saying when he said, “Men have become the tools of their tools.” But I think he is basically saying that people are affected and influenced by all the tools (or in this case – technology) around them. Tools need people to work them and people need tools to get stuff done. They are dependent on each other. In this case, instead of men working the tools, the tools (or technology) are basically working us – kind of controlling us.

Josephine P said...

I totally agree with Steve Job’s quote. Humans are always moving on, creating and improving. Right after the 1st iphone come out, they started working on the 2nd generation. When we say what we want to companies like Apple, in a few weeks, we want some other thing with a different function. We will never truly be happy with what we have a technology, it will have to be better.
I think that this quote means that when we don’t know a lot about something, we fear it. We don’t know about any life on other planets, so we fear it. This quote sort of says that if you are afraid of something because you don’t know about it, you don’t need to be. Go find out about it.
I really think that this quote sums up the present day. We rely on our tools. If your car doesn’t start up, you can’t drive to work, and lose that day’s pay. When your computer breaks, I wonder how many of us would have problems that day. If that tool doesn’t work, we can’t work properly.

Clara W said...

The first quote means that everyone is constantly moving forward. By the time they get what they want, they will already be begging for another thing. This also means that people who come up with new technology need to be design something that will be popular at least one year after they come up with the idea. Bill Gates’ quote means that when something changes, people aren’t very knowledgeable about it. When humans don’t know about something, they are not going to be sure about it, but once they learn more, they’re more confident. I think he’s trying to say that if we’re going to get over that fear anyway, why be fearful of it in the first place? The last quote is especially true in today’s world. The technology that we created is slowly taking over our lives. For example, instead of walking those few steps out the door to see what the weather is like, we take five minutes to check the weather on our iPhone. We rely on technology for pretty much everything.

Sarah Williams said...

These quotes are sadly true. The reason I said sadly is because it makes me realize how pathetically we rely on technology. The first quotes has to be one of the truest things that ever came out of a corporate mans mouth. Whenever we Americans want something we can’t wait for it to come out and we are so excited and crowding the stores for hours. Then the next e can’t wait for it to be smaller, more efficient, faster, or sleeker. It’s like a game of cat and mouse that never ends. We chase the people in the labs to invent what we think is cooler and then we want more and more. It has almost come to the point where we are fooling our own minds into thinking that we need a newer version of something that already functions perfectly well. The reason I think he said you can’t ask a customer what they want is because if you do that want will have the shelf life of a strawberry.
The second quote is also very true. We are Americans…now no offence to the American race but we feel like we should know everything and if we don’t that it must be a scary and dangerous idea. For example Bill Gates said electricity… well….um… yeah people were afraid of this idea because it was new and anything that is new or unknown can’t be safe and we all know of the issues we Americans have with unsafe things. This idea of electricity (which is EVERYWHERE NOW!) was consider scary. Many people feared it because we all live in shells we shut out anything that might be hazardous. The fact that we have no clue is often mainly the only reason we have fears because we are unsure of something we fear it… well guess what this means that we fear life… which by my standers is the ultimate unknown or fear.
Now like Dana I to was hysterical when I read this. You may ask why well I feel this is a self-explanatory question. The answer of what makes this so funny is the fact that it is PATHETICALLY TRUE! We are so hung up on our inventions that we have let them become our crutch. We depend on them… almost like they are our life-support air tanks! So say you are in the middle of updating your Facebook and your computer decides to play a prank on you and crashes… most American would feel like it was the end of the world and start yelling certain words at their computer. We are turning in to robots that are being controlled by other robots. They have made us addicted to every new and cool idea. Really we have let games and other gadgets rank higher than brilliant ideas like using our BRAINS!

Ashley D said...

I honestly don't think the Ipad will become any more popular than it is right now. I mean, sure a LOT of people have bought them, but I don't think there will be so many more being bought. And what Steve John said is actually really true. There is always a demand for something new, like the amazing things that have been put out already aren't good enough a few months after they were released. People are always wanting more.

What Bill Gates said makes a lot of sense. If you don't know about something, that could seem like a threat, you'd be scared right? Yeah sure, anybody would I guess. But that's really only if you know nothing about what that threat is. Like electricity, a lot of people didn't know about it, and they saw it as some sort of threat, so they feared it. Even if it was at the back of their minds, they feared it because they didn't know about it. Where there is ignorance, there will usually be fear associated with it.

I'm not really sure what Henry David Throreau was trying to get across. It's confusing...to me at least. So, I don't really know what it means.

Justin M said...

I think that the first quote means that our technological world is developing faster than an some sellers can keep up with. In other words the buyers are asking for something and when the sellers make this the buyers are asking for something better and more complex.
I think that the second quote from Bill Gates mean as it says people fear change. If someone is taken from their home and daily routine that they will be afraid of the changes that are going to happen to their life and how bad the changes are going to be. I think that that he said that ignorance leads to fear is that people will ignore things that are unusual to them or different. If I were Bill gates I would have said that ignorance is lead by fear because if you fear something you will probably to ignore it and block it out.
I think that the third quote from Henry David Thoreau means that the things that we make can take us over in a way not physically but mentally. Like some people could not live with out there cell phone or computer. Some people live off of there computer meaning that all of there work and information is on that computer. What if one day those things just disappeared? What would hose people do? They would probably loose their jobs and most of their personal information. These are my opinions on what the quotes mean.

Kyle G said...

I think that in our world today we don’t by the time we buy something new will come out and make us not want to have the old thing. Bill Gates is right. “People always fear changes. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn't they? People feared coal; they feared gas-powered engines... There will always be ignorance, and ignorance leads to fear...." Everyone is afraid that if they get something that in 3 months there will be something better then what they have know. No matter when you buy there is always going to be something better than what you have. That is true for video games, cars and electronics. Steve Jobs is right. He said, " You can't ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new." It’s not an instant thing. It takes time to make and build something new. When it finally gets replaced everyone wants something new. Henry David Thoreau is right. He said, “Men have become the tools of their tools." Which means that everyone wants something new

Taylor Patrick White said...

Before I start on the quotes, I would like to make clear that I think the iPad is completely and utterly POINTLESS. Directed at Apple: You created the iPhone, great job, that was a hit, and you made alot of money out of it, obviously. But just because it was so great doesnt mean you can change its size, label it as something completely different, and expect it to sell! The iPad is a giant iPhone without a phone! Its really not that much different at all!
Steve Job's quote is absolutely true. Technology is advancing so quickly, yet as this happens humans expectations for technology also grow. It seems as if nothing is good enough for us these days. We complain about how we want more out of our technology, and when companies try to oblige our needs, we quickly realize that their is something more advanced that we want.
The second quote by Bill Gates is also true. Our pure ignorance of technology makes us scared. If there is something that we do not kow about, we are frightened by it. If you disagree, picture this: You're told to jump into a dark pit. you dont know what lies in this pit. Do you jump?
Themeaning of the third quote is quite obvious. more of the quote is:"But lo! men have become the tools of their tools. The man who independently plucked the fruits when he was hungry is become a farmer; and he who stood under a tree for shelter, a housekeeper."it means that when a person specializes with something, (such as the iPhone or the iPad) they become the tool used by the rest of the community, in effect. It's like honing your skills in one area, to the point where yoy are made into a tool in that profession.
And again, i stress, THE IPAD IS POINTLESS!

Emily C. said...

I think what Steve Jobs means is that inventors and people like that have to anticipate what people will want. They have to stay ahead of the consumer and think about what people do and then come up with a device or products to help them do it better or faster like building a better mousetrap. They can’t wait until people ask for something; they have to have a vision of what people will want to buy and then to have the product (like an iphone or ipad) ready I don’t entirely agree with Bill Gates. I think that there are some people who fear change and with technology changing things so fast, some people are afraid. Also, people like what they know so when new technology comes out, they may not like it because they don’t know it. It doesn’t mean that they are afraid. But some people embrace change and like the challenge of figuring out how new things work. Finally, Henry David Thoreau was and still is right. “Men have become the tools of their tools” is what we think when we say we are “slaves to technology”. People have become so dependent on their cell phones, gps, computers, etc. that we would be lost without them. We let these devices control our lives and are afraid that if we aren’t connected all the time, we are missing out on something. Twitter, Facebook, You-tube, etc. make it so we are always available, all the time. But that isn’t necessarily a good thing because we sometimes get so caught up in the electronic world; we don’t have to deal with the real world.

Al. W said...

First of all I think the iPad will have more uses than being a big iphone, it will be more powerful and I bet my people will develop for it. As soon as Apple comes out with any product, it becomes a gold mine for any one with an idea and developing skills. That's one reason why these devices are so important, they are a continuous stream of money to Apple, and provide oppurtunity, even full time jobs, to everyone. We've come to a point where we can't live without these tools. Quote one is true, mainly because of how competitive the tech market is, if Apple announces something, Microsoft may come out with something with more features sooner (like that will ever happen). Quote 2 applies to more than technology, it applies to all aspects of life. Change is scary, but that what these elcetronic tools are all about. Quote 3 is interesting because it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I also find it facinating that a guy said this in the 19th century, when the whole railroad buzz was going around. This shows how similar we are to then. Anyway, technology is to be used as we please. I personally think that they were designed to make everyday life easier, not hinder it by completly taking over. But to each their own and people can do whatever they want.

Sarah N said...

I agree with Steve Jobs that people are always wanting something new and I also agree with Conner that technology is getting a little too advanced too quickly. Even though a lot of people have already bought the iPad, I don't think many more people will be buying it. You can get the same benefit from the iTouch/iPhone.

Britt. S said...

I think that the 1st quote is true. many people want new things but by the time there done they want something else. for example by the time apple gets a nano out that people like they are starting a new one. so after your buying an i-pod theirs going to be a newer one going out later. the 2nd quote i think means that people can be ignorance about things. they are very demanding. the 3rd quote i think means is that people make something that was requested then turn around and want more. things that people want aren't good enough for them if they don't get it right away. also the i-pad is point less. its the same things a s the i-phone but bigger. apple always does this with there things. like the nanos, you get the newest one that's really cool then in 2 months theirs one with a camera. its pointless even to buy things from them unless its the last one there going to make.

Tia M said...

The first quote from Steve Jobs is completely true. People see something they want but buy the time they are ready to buy it something else catches their. For example, when the iPod shuffles came out they were HUGE. Everyone wanted one and probably had one. But within a couple of months the iPod touch came out and suddenly no one wanted a iPod shuffle. Even though Apple still makes shuffles no one wants one. The same thing with the iPad; all it is is a giant version of the iPod touch. Yet people are lined up to buy them. Apple has a habit of making something and then either coming up with something to "outdo" it or to make it better. Apple has come out with 3 versions of the iPod touch. The iPad for the first couple weeks after it comes out is probably going to be Apple's top seller; until they come up with a newer version. We always think we know what we want until something better comes along.

The second quote from Bill Gates is just as true as the first quote. We fear change. Change means that people will most likely give up their way of life that they are used too and don't want to change. Just like Bill Gates said, "ignorance leads to fear". People always assume the worst so that they don't have to change. It is very true that change brings fear. If in your eyes you have a perfectly good lifestyle, why would you change it? You wouldn't. For example like Bill Gates said, "People feared electricity when it was first invented." Electricity was something strange and new. Of course people will fear it, they don't know if it's safe and how it works or even what it did. Once the product, whatever it may be has been a long for a while and has been tested people will slowly accept it.

The third quote from Henry David Thoreau is a very ironic quote. "Men have become the tools of their tools." I may not know exactly what he means by it, but it is definatly a message to us as humans. I think what he is saying is that the tools we use and work on have actually come to use and work with us. That tools like laptops and computers have come to use us more than we would use them. The quote is very ironic but it definatly a strong message to us and one we shouldn't ignore.

Unknown said...

ok 1st the ipad is dumb and pointless. First off i thought they created the ipad or ipod to small and transportable. But anyway the ist qoute means you cant please all customers because some want some spefic thing and others dont. The quote next is that people are afraid of new ideas so a lot of people try it. The last quote is people are thier problems they are becoming there tools

Katie Rose :) said...

According to Steve Jobs of Apple his quote means that no matter what a buisness makes, people will always want more and more. First Apple made the computer, then the ipod, then the iphone and now the ipad. I am sure it will just be a matter of time before people before people will want something more. Also, technology cannot keep up with what people are demanding.

According to Bill Gates, people are afraid of change. I believe this is true. When computers first came out, adults especially were afraid to use them becuse they were unknown to them. I think people are afraid of the unknown and are also afraid to try new things.

Thoreau is saying than mankind are now users of the tools they invented. For example, we are the person who uses a car and we are also the person who invented the car--also, people invented and make computers, and we now use computers.

Michael Haecker said...

I think the iPad may be a great piece of technology, but really- at the same time it’s a waste of money. Many people think that the iPad is going to replace their laptops or even iPods. Personally, I have tried out the iPad at the Danbury apple store... sure it might looks like a genius invention and will be the future, no it’s not- it’s an iPod touch just 5 times bigger with a 3G plan available. Steve Jobs might be a great inventor, and realllogy, but really- at the same time it’s a waste of money. Many people think that the iPad is going to replace their laptops or even iPods. Personally, I have tried out the iPad at the Danbury apple store... sure it might looks like a genius invention and will be the future, no it’s not- it’s an ipod touch just 5 times bigger with a 3G plan available. Steve Jobs might be a great inventor, and really has changed the way the world lives ever since the first iPod was announced in 2001. But at the same time- Steve Jobs is a sales man, and most likely has changed the way the world lives ever since the first iPod was announced in 2001. But at the same time- Steve Jobs is a sales man, and most likely- he’s going to do anything to make people buy his products. I thought apple would consider putting a camera on every single new model they came out with. This iPad really doesn’t seem like it has any customizable choices- the only choice you can pick out from is only 3 types of ipad which all have different GB, and also the Wi-Fi and 3G plan. Bill Gates really isn’t the one to criticize Steve Jobs. Bill Gates has been in the battle with Apple ever since the first ever iPod came out. Gates should go and try to make a useful device that won’t turn into junk after a period of 3 years. Thoreau is saying that mankind is now users of the tools they invented. For example, we are the person who uses a car and we are also the person who invented the car--also, people invented and make computers, and we now use computers.

Taylor We. said...

I think that the first quote from Steve Jobs means that it’s nearly impossible to make a product exactly as the people want it to be with everything they wanted. This is because by the time you figure out what people want and produce the product people will want something totally different. He’s saying that even thought the companies try their hardest to make a product that will make everyone happy, it will never be perfect because people will always be excepting something new and improved.
This second quote from Bill Gates is saying that no matter what some people will always fear taking a new step into the future and advancing because they don’t know what to expect. But as soon as they take that step and experience what this new thing has to offer they usually won’t be scared anymore.
The third quote by Henry David Thoreau means that we as people have become way to depended on our technology to do everything for us. If robots for example were created we would basically spend our lives in bed or sitting down because we would have all these pieces of technology to do everything for us. We are losing our strength and our sense of accomplishment because we never do anything by ourselves anymore.

Anastazia O said...

I think that the first quote by Steve Jobs means that people will always just want more than they already have. I also think that it means that by the time people finally get what the public wants, the public doesn't want it anymore. For example, when I was seven, all I wanted was a treehouse. My dad finally built it for me about three years ago and by then, I didn't a treehouse anymore. I had grown out of it just like everyone almost always grows out of the things that they want.

I think that the second qoute by Bill Gates means that people get very comfortable with the things that they already have. Everyone fears changes because it's something that they're not used to. Just like the Rachel's Challenge presentation said: people have their own comfort zones and they get nervous when something happens outside that zone.

Lastly, I think that the third quote by Henry David Thoreau means that people use technology WAY too much. People just waste away in front of their televisions and computers all day and have almost become brainwashed by them.

Taryssa K said...

the ipad sounds like something bussinesses could use. it seems like nothing that kids would use we want big things or small things nothing in between. The ipad seems to professeial kids dont care for that. i agree with the frist quote everyone wants something new, it like asking a kid what they want for christmas then the next day they have something new. I also agree with the sencond quote because people were afarid of change but no we use technoligy all the time we all realy on it way to much. The last quote confused me and i didnt understand it maybe thats just my brain messing up on me or maybe it wasnt ment to understand. I do hope the ipad dose good on the market but teen and kids will not want it in the bussiness world it will work fine.

Kelsey H.♥ said...

The first quote, spoken by Steve Jobs of Apple, is completely true in my opinion. I say this because if you think about it, a lot of what makes up society are trends and fads. As soon as someone wants something, they get over it just as quickly. Something is demanded, so it’s given, but by the time it’s ready to be distributed, people have already moved on with their lives. Nowadays, our culture’s style is changing so often, with different hairstyles, clothing items, and electronics. Everyone wants the newest of everything. It seems like what they have isn’t good enough until they have the NEXT best thing. People always want something, but then they don’t care about it as soon as something newer in their lives comes along.

The second quote by Bill Gates, also speaks the truth. Basically what he’s saying is that we should man up (or woman up for all us girls out there) and not be afraid of change. Change isn’t a bad thing; change doesn’t mean that something is going to be COMPLETELY different. In many circumstances, change can bring improvements to the world, whether it’s electronic or the real world. We want something, we are handed it, and then we don’t want it anymore.

The last quote, I think is mostly true. Our world is becoming taken over, in a sense, by electronics. Our society is so consumed in the latest gadgets, that we rarely stop and think about doing things the ‘good old fashion way’. Men (and women) have become dependent and reliant on electricity for nearly everything.

These quotes are all true, and I find them interesting.

Katie T. said...

The quotes are mostly true. Steve Jobs is telling the truth in a simpler way because yes other people will want something even newer than the last not a replica (maybe a little more updated)of the itouch. I'm not saying they are the same but they are similer, the ipad just has a little more aps thats all. It is pretty neat how they make it bigger with more space a aps. Bill Gates is mostly right because people do fear changes and people love new technology its just you have to get used to it. Henry David Thoreau is also mostly right and similar to Bill's quote because people are used to what they have already, they know it just like that, like the technology we have that we have stayed with it. So we have to get ready for some change about the ipad(though not to be mean but the ipad is mostly a bigger replica of the itouch) Though I agree the ipad is very cool, we just have to take slowly, not to slow but so we can get used to some changes. People think it will change many things but sometimes it doesn't so have fun with the new technology if thats what many like. Don't worry it's fun!

Anonymous said...

I think the first quote means that right when you become done inventing what the people say they want, they decided they want something completely new. We just keep piling up the things that we want. For instance first we wanted a phone with a full keyboard and then once we got that we wanted it to have GPS then internet and so on. We always want something new in terms of technology.

The next quote means that us as people think that we can do things with ourselves. Bill Gates is saying that we fear change. He refers back to when electricity was first invented and not many people bothered to use it. He is using coal and gas powered engines as more examples of how we were afriad of using them.

I think that the last quote means that tools are now controlling men. We always want to invent more or different things. It's like the tools of technology are calling to men and luering them to create something bigger and better. That's what i think these quotes mean

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

Renata M. said...

I think the first quote means that many Americans always want the highest technology. When they get this high tech, there will come out with something way more amazing that they will want to buy more. I think that may happen with the IPad, people will think it’s wonderful until Apple comes up with something much more greater. I think the quote by Bill Gates means that people might not want to try something new.When people were terrified of gas powered engines. I agree with jordan about the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Many people spend hours and hours on their computers. It’s like machines are controling are whole world, and you waste most of your life on technology.

RJ H. said...

The first quote by Steve Jobs is definitly true. I'll even admit that I do the same exact thing. If I get a new video game I get sick of it and want a new one. So I think what he's saying is that they tried to include everything in the ipad so that people won't keep wanting more from them.
I'm not sure that the Bill Gates quote is exactly true though. I know that's a popular saying that people fear change but I don't really know many people who do. A lot of people get excited about changes.
And the finl quote is true. Even I am a tool of my iphone. All I do is play music and games on it. I named it Idol. Hahaha. I think we are being consumed by all this technology. But I don't care. I like it.